[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make Rock-paper-scissors interesting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: RPS+versus.jpg (99 KB, 1000x506) Image search: [Google]
RPS+versus.jpg
99 KB, 1000x506
How to make Rock-paper-scissors interesting?
>>
>>44357455
Loser gets clubbed/strangled/stabbed
>>
>>44357455
Use cards so fags can't cheat.
>>
>>44357455
It is already,try fighting games
>>
>2015
>using such a rigid class-based system

You should throw it out and build it from the ground up using the Apocalypse World engine. That way you can be a rock but also have some of the abilities of scissors and paper.
>>
>>44357455
With Lorena Bobbit
>>
>>44357455
Increase the mindgames
"I think you're gonna win"
"No, we're gonna tie"
"How much you wanna bet?"
>>
>>44357683
Underrated post
>>
>>44357455
Where's Spock?
>>
File: hes_dead_jim.jpg (99 KB, 700x530) Image search: [Google]
hes_dead_jim.jpg
99 KB, 700x530
>>44361770
>>
File: hqdefault (28).jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (28).jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>44361826
>>
>>44357683

The Apocalypse Engine is strongly class-based. You mean build it from the ground up using GURPS.
>>
>>44357683
>apocalypse world

Jesus I wish this meme would die. Just use fiasco
>>
File: yomi.png (276 KB, 2256x1827) Image search: [Google]
yomi.png
276 KB, 2256x1827
>>44357455
There are ways...
>>
>>44357455
Weight it. If you win with paper, you get 3 points. If you win with rock, you get 2 points. If you win with scissors, you get 1 point.
>>
>>44362074
That's actually sort-of what I did once. Each player had thirty life. Losing with Rock cost the loser 3 life, losing with Scissors 5 life and Paper 10.
>>
>>44362809
What would compel people to ever pick paper, then?

>Always pick Rock
>They are forced to pick Paper to 'beat' me
>Every once in a while I throw in scissors
>They take over 3x the damage
Statistics say I'll always come out on top
>>
>>44357455
This image is pointless as shit. If the two people choose different symbols one will lose and one will win, and since every symbol has the same chance of winning all of the three images present no change to the way the game is played.

Unless I'm missing something here.
>>
>>44357455
You could do it like in the anime Kaiji. Each player has the same starting cards, 3 of each hand for each person. You have a few stars that you wager against other players. Once you use a card it's removed from the game, even for a draw.

Other players don't get to know what cards you played but are allowed to watch others play and can spread/trade information themselves. They can also trade and give cards and stars as they please.

This means if everyone starts with 2 of each hand and you play a Rock then other people might find out you have 1 Rock left so they play a Scissors, since if you play your last rock then your chances of winning the next round is ZERO PERCENT.

But they don't know you traded one of your other cards for someone else's Rock, the fools. Then you play their ignorance against them.

Some guy on the amateur game development general on /vg/ made a game of it, played it for an hour with about 8 other people, was pretty fun screwing with people, when it worked.
>>
>>44363144
Because it beats rock, silly. That's the whole point, it creates a build triangle:

- Rock is the safe, cautious and steady option. You won't ever win much with rock, but you don't stand to lose much either.
- Scissors is the more daring, dangerous and aggressive option. You pull an excellent amount with a well calculated risk, but failure is harsh. Simple rocking will grind down scissor-strats every time.
- Paper is the weird bullshit masters-only choice. You can only win a little with Paper and you stand to lose a bunch, but paper and paper alone with reliably defeat the most statistically valuable piece on the field. A cleverly applied paper can claim much power over dumb rocks.

The fact that players can be relied upon to use rock as a statistically safe choice inherently validates paper at it's counter, which in turn validates scissors which then validates rock again, until it evens out into a Safe-Solid/Risky-Dangerous/Fragile-Bullshit triad.

The example that you give resolves itself for exactly those reasons.
>>
>>44365007
Both players would pick Rock 80% of the time at the highest levels, then, because its the safest option. One failed scissors is almost as punishing as two failed Rocks, so the metagame would revolve around picking Rock until you got a read on your opponent. almost like playing Smash 4, except Rock is Shield and Paper is Grab and Scissors is trying literally anything else
>>
>>44365987
Aside from the 80% figure which was safely esconced in something's anus prior to it's abrupt deployment, this is pretty much exactly the case. Smash 4 for free, and all it requires is your hands. Amazing value for money, and here I am, giving the secret away for free.
>>
>>44361826
You fucking bastard, I don't need these feels.
>>
I Hate Zombies does this pretty well with abilities that incentivize winning with certain throws

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/162093/i-hate-zombies
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.