[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think passive, non horror campaigns could work? Suggestions?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: plato.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
Do you think passive, non horror campaigns could work? Suggestions? Campaign ideas?
>>
The fuck does that even mean

Define your terms old man
>>
So you mean things like political simulators, day to day daily breadwinners, surviving on a typical medieval farm and so on?

I think there is a small niche of players who would enjoy such a thing. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys roleplaying things like that, I've roleplayed entirely non-violent stories about traveling companions or a young adventurer speaking philosophy to a great genie-like creature in a cave. This shit is great, but without a few monsters to slay and challenges to overcome I'm sure it will bore many people.
>>
>>44357291
You know, a campaign without murderhobos
>>
>>44357492

That doesn't explain anything, at all

What's passive about the campaign? Are the protagonists passive, or is the situation not particularly compelling them to action, and thus could be described as passive? Why the "non-horror" bit? If it's not horror, why even bring it up?

Your question is shit and can therefore produce no useful answers
>>
>>44357492
In passive you say no slaying the monster? Just trying to make a deal and resolve everything in talk? Or you are saying less slasher moments in the campaing?
>>
>>44357321
This, it depends on your players. I and one of my players would enjoy such a campaign, but the rest of the players would find it far too dull to play. I'd wager and say no, most likely one or more of your players will grow bored, and either start shit or want to drop out of the campaign.
>>
>>44357283
This post is really confusing.
>>
File: peasant coming through.png (338 KB, 778x658) Image search: [Google]
peasant coming through.png
338 KB, 778x658
>>44357283
I would call it a "slice of life campaign". And yes, some systems suit it well. Games like Maelstrom (the paperback RPG) and WFRP allowed you to play roles like a grocer or printer or glassblower. It could be heaps of fun but the DM would really have to know their stuff.
>>
>>44357283
Depends greatly on the premise and the system.

I mean, you could make a D&D 3.5/Pathfinder game with nothing but political intrigue, but you'd have to make the story compelling enough for the players to be interested in the plot more than just killing stuff.

An example of a non-standard campaign using a standard setting/system: The kingdom needs a magical macguffin that is thought to be buried in some ancient ruins. The party is a bunch of historians/politicians/nobles who fund and manage the groups of adventurers that are to be sent into the various ruins. You'd need to do research on stuff like traps and guardians, and with limited access to adventurers since other kingdoms want the macguffin as well. Further into the campaign, an enemy kingdom sends assassins to take out the party. The assassins fail, but the party must now find out which enemy kingdom sent the spies, and advise the king on whether or not to declare war (or to send spies himself). Eventually both kingdoms end up unearthing the final clue to the macguffin's location, and the PCs have to find out a way for their hired adventurers to reach the macguffin while slowing the enemy group (and maybe while evading enemy soldiers, if war has broken out).
>>
File: 1450037428417.png (43 KB, 379x300) Image search: [Google]
1450037428417.png
43 KB, 379x300
>>44357530
Undertake would actually work for one. You might do a lot of awesome, nice, and badass things, but not really intentionally, you are just trying to go home.
>>
>>44357283

You need to spend a couple more years in education so you can formulate coherent questions. Now fuck off.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.