[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever had a crisis of faith in your /tg/ hobby? I used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: sad robot.jpg (127 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
sad robot.jpg
127 KB, 1280x853
Have you ever had a crisis of faith in your /tg/ hobby?

I used to have a blast playing D&D when I was a teenager, and me and my friends would pull a lot of all-nighters.

But literally the last dozen games I've been involved in have been bad enough that I was actually happier when they came to an end so I wouldn't have an obligation to show up anymore.

After so many years of being in denial I've finally thought about this and admitted it to myself. Is there a way I can rekindle my like of traditional games? Have any of you ever gone through anything similar?
>>
>>44354636
I hear you. Same shit happened with me. Our group moved/quit/lost interest etc. A couple of us started again after a year or so...and it was sorta bleh.
>>
I'm having one right now with Pathfinder.

I have yet to see a halfway decent campaign in months, the last ones I've joined flaked to death, and the two campaigns I'm in now are the wrong kind of bland.
>>
>>44355009
>the two campaigns I'm in now are the wrong kind of bland.

Whats the wrong kind vs an acceptable kind?
>>
>>44355009
>try to find a group on R20
>end up playing a human rogue in a party of half- giants and half- demon warlocks
> first quest is to steal a laser rifle in this " standard" d&d game.
> I bail
> next 4 games are just as bad...
>go play ps4 instead
>>
>>44354636
>crisis of faith in your /tg/ hobby
I find it's nice to take breaks and instead do normal-person shit with friends. Like going to restaurants, getting inebriated, seeing movies, and watching burly athletes kick the shit out of each other on TV.

Like, it's not good to have traditional games be your whole life. Do something else once in a while. If nothing else it might broaden your perspective a little.
>>
>>44354636
You've become a casual.
>>
>>44354636
Take a break.

Try a new system or style of play.

Find a new group to mess around with.
>>
>>44354636
I personally haven't, but I try to keep things fresh by planning games for short runs with definite end points, try new things once in a while, and see different people. I've never had a game reach the point where it was a chore, because when the signs get there I have rather can things and start fresh.

That said, my old DM was like this. He was relatively good, had a great sense for the story, but with him the cycle went that he ran a session or two, then had a crisis of commitment (either personal or for ethical reason, one year he didn't want to support WotC because they "exploit chinese workers" so he closed the game) that lasted months. We put up with him for years of this on-and-off gaming until the group dissolved.
>>
I hear you - you feel obligated to turn up because its what you'd expect of others, but you end up playing with people who are so insufferable, in games that are so terrible, that you lose faith in the hobby as a whole.

I had this with both warhammer and D&D. Two golden rules I use in my hobby now.

Dont play with people under 30.

Cull autists, 'lolrandom' types and attention-whores from your group ruthlessly and immediately.
>>
>>44354636
I know what you mean. Sounds like you're a little burned out. Best take a break, let your mind rest a little.
>>
>>44354636
No, I don't take it anywhere near seriously enough to have a crisis. Or faith.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.