[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you put the negative consequences (if you have them) of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Wiz.jpg (99 KB, 573x479) Image search: [Google]
Wiz.jpg
99 KB, 573x479
How do you put the negative consequences (if you have them) of using magic in your games?
>>
>>44354623
That's a pretty loaded question that varies wildly with the game I'm playing and what the group composition is.
>>
>>44354623
Well, theres the fact that you can randomly get possessed by a demon or explode just by accessing even a little bit of magic and not being perfect in how you do so.
>>
>>44354697
>That's a pretty loaded question
How the fuck is that a loaded question? What is controversially or unjustly assumed in that question? It literally says "if you have them" right there.
>>
>>44354623
Negative consequences like improper use?
In my setting magic is more or less like charged materials. Charge it too much in either direction and <things> happen. Except, because it's magic and hey why not, it doesn't just make things magnet, it makes things explode, or melt, or start spewing out toxic sulfur plumes of smoke, or even emitting a directional laser beam.

Negative consequences like culturally and stigma related?
Not everyone is inclined to magic, so that leaves quite a bit of conflict for who gets what, a sense of unfairness at times, whole crops of mercenaries and shops and magical services, putting a sore price tag on magical service. And it's not just people being differently attuned, there's also entire alien cultures who use magic differently, or even view magic differently. So, you could be in for a wild ride if you don't bother to research about a culture before striding in lighting up fireballs to juggle expecting a gleeful audience.
>>
>>44354777
It clearly implies that I'm a homosexual who loves big fat donkey dongs, which is why I am cautious to answer it.
Read between the lines, friend.
>>
>>44354849
There's only one line!
>>
File: 1396566711399.jpg (174 KB, 789x1050) Image search: [Google]
1396566711399.jpg
174 KB, 789x1050
>>44354623
In muh setting magic causes mutations. Wizards wear big hats and hooded robes so as to hide their inhuman features. And that's assuming they're successful in your use of magic, when someone fucks up with magic the results range for violent and sudden mutations and magical tumours to instantly turning your vital organs into liquid mana.

This works differently for paladins/clerics as their magical abilities are created by their gods that use their body as a conduit to cast the spell. They still end up with mutations but to a lesser extent and in a predictable fashion that makes their form echo that of their god. They also tent to avoid the effects of failure and developing magical cancer.
>>
>>44354623
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65mvAELWq_8
>>
>>44354623
By playing up the jealousy dressed as contempt the no-mags have for those with real power.
>>
>>44354623
Use the paradox form Mage the Ascension
>>
>>44354623
Magic used too much and too often can have consequences as so:

Fire, ice and lightning magic can backlash and hurt the caster.

Healing magic can cause tumor growth in the subject.

Shapeshifting can lead to permanent anatomy changes in the caster.

Summoned creatures can break their bonds and turn on the caster.

Ya dig?
>>
>>44358261
I like this. Can you tell me more?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.