[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you take drugs with you on your fantasy roleplaying trips /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6
File: 1450648559843.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1450648559843.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
Do you take drugs with you on your fantasy roleplaying trips /tg/?
>>
I can't concentrate enough to play when I'm high, so no.
>>
>>44354137
Alcohol only. And even then, only in moderation.
>>
>>44354137
My friend let's me smoke just enough pot to dull the senses so I can concentrate more on the game. More importantly it prevents headaches.
>>
>>44354137
Nah, but I usually smoke weed to come up with ideas for campaigns. It's mostly shit but over successive goes I pick out the grains of gold among it and form my campaigns up.
>>
>>44354205

Those headaches you get when you aren't smoking? That's withdrawal. You'd stop getting them if you quit properly.
>>
>>44354137
Mead for a couple of D&D sessions, but that has a very low alcohol content, and is pretty much it.
>>
Only if I'm in the mood for a deep, dark fantasy.
>>
File: 1450668331576.png (226 KB, 468x345) Image search: [Google]
1450668331576.png
226 KB, 468x345
>>44354629
Does anybody incorporate naps into their fantasy play?
>>
>>44355357
I was playing today, and one of our players passed out on the couch during a break
>>
>>44356340
Should've woke him up with "wake up, Aniki".
>>
>>44354137
Some of my friends smoked a bit of weed during a session once. Not really high, as they still had to drive home afterward and weren't suicidal. They got a little slower, worse at math, and were a bit more loose and easy to please.

Near the end of each session, my GM is fond of stating his intention to go home, smoke a fat blunt, and play vidja for the rest of the night.
>>
No, drugs are banned at our table. Everytime someone wants to smoke at the table is a fucking disaster.

Smoking was banned when one guy showed after after trying to convince us "high D&D" is a great way to play. We told him no, so he got high before the game and came.

Spent the entire session cutting off the DM for some hilarious drug-addled idea he had, most of which were fucking dumb or flat-out impossible(like insisting it'll be hilarious if we invent airplanes, like right now bro, and fly it so high we'll like, meet aliens dude...he says in a standard LotR-clone fantasy setting).

That's not when he was passed out, in the process of passing out, or getting upset that we woke him up after he passed out, then going to raid the DM's kitchen for Cheetos(even after he was told 5 times to stop, that the DM doesn't have Cheetos, and that he wouldn't get any anyways if he's not going to ask first).

And the smell was fucking awful too. Smelled he was rolling around in a fucking trash can right before he came here.

We implemented the "no smoking" rule that night. He must've thought we were joking because he showed up high again the next session. DM opened the door, got hit by the wave of stink, then slammed the door in his face.

Drinking no real bad problems with yet. Just the occasional drunken rambling. No drinking is only because someone whined that he couldn't get high, but someone else was allowed to get drunk.
>>
>>44354137
Yes, usually weed.
Better immersion and better roleplay.
One of my gaming groups (the most RP-heavy one) also smokes with me. Sometimes we do stronger stuff, such as DXM, NBOM or 2C-B. It's great when we are playing Mage: the Ascension or Changeling: the Dreaming, because we can have adventures in deep Umbral Realms.
>>
>>44355357
we call it 'retreating into Dreamtime' where players are able to interact with their given animal totem and derive a second, more spiritual perspective on their situation with the propensity to inform their decisions in a way that can drastically affect the story timeline.
>>
>>44354137
Of course. Smoking weed and playing wargames or RPGs goes hand in hand.

We like to push ourselves to do complicated mathematics, roleplay to the hilt, make tactical and strategic decisions, and have a good laugh, all while high as fuck. Nothing quite as fun as getting high and playing wargames.

>>44354477
heh. Weed doesn't give you withdrawal anon. it can be decent for painkilling though, I remember reading about an old lady who ate it in butter to help with her arthritis. She didn't get "high" as such (probably just a bit, but would be well used to it after so many years), but it helped numb the pain in her hands.

>>44356732
>Better immersion
definitely. I sure hope all of you have at least tried getting high and playing RPGs at least once. Most people who denounce weed just haven't tried it yet.

>>44356576
your friend is a tool, straight or high. Regular dope smokers dont do any of this shit, They're used to being high so they just function normally and have a great time. Much easier to concentrate on things when you're high than it is when you're drunk. At least with weed there's a comedown, and after an hour or so the effects wear off.
>>
>>44356907
>I sure hope all of you have at least tried getting high and playing RPGs at least once

I rarely play or GM without weed and use it almost daily.
I also run at least 2 sessions a week.
>>
>>44357259
A man after my own heart.
I find when GMing I never smoke during the gaming session, but I get just a little bit high about an hour before the session starts. That way I have all my mental facilities needed for running the game (we run Traveller, so things can get complex, and the game suffers if I'm too high) and still immerse myself fully in the game.
>>
>>44357286
I'm currently running Vampire: Dark Ages V20, and the rules are so simple that I can completely focus on roleplaying NPCs and advancing the story.

The other game I run is a solo Black Crusade game for my girlfriend, and I also have no problems with rules. I played and GM'd nearly 1000 sessions using d100 rules, so I remember them almost perfectly.

The only problem with the weed is that it's hard to get good stuff where I live. So most of the time I have only hashish.
>>
>>44354137
Nope, because I like RPG
>>
I would, but i don't know any dealer
>>
>>44356907
>Weed doesn't give you withdrawal anon.
Bull-shite.
drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive
>>
i once was in LARP and hell i dont know the details but once i got sober im naked and probably suck many dicks and my asshole is gaping wide open

became gay that day
>>
>>44354137

Doing some speed can really help you concentrate for long periods of time, and is great for doing rollplaying. Weed is neat for proper roleplaying, but too much can make the game grind to a halt. I actually find alcohol to be the worst thing you can consume while playing. Nasty after-effects, makes people loud and obnoxious while impairing both their creativity, as well as their reasoning.
>>
>>44354137
>Drugs

Fuck off normalfag
>>
>>44358011

Underage, pls.
>>
>>44354137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65mvAELWq_8
>>
>>44357259
I have never got high. Never had drugs and have never got drunk, so.....
>>
>>44354137
My DMX offered me a beer. I hate beer but she said it was different. It was. I drank it all. 15 mins later I realize the hard way I didn't eat anything and apparently beer can be high volume. So I'm sitting passing pathfinder like "oh God I hope no one can tell" keeping quiet and trying to remember which dice to use and how to add. I told her after and she laughed that she had no idea. Never again.

With weed, as long as I smoke very little, tcgs and wargame/wargamelites are fine. With speed I can do anything better and faster but I have adhd naturally so it just corrects me.
>>
>>44359161
>DMX
Oh mobile autocorrect, you so crazy. Of course I meant DM.
>>
>>44356576

I'm sorry anon but that's out of hand I can't believe smoking pot made somebody act like that, you need to quit making shit up to impress us
>>
>>44357439
>People who stop smoking marijuana no longer feel it's effects
>Withdrawal

Government t work
>>
>>44354137
>Do you take drugs with you on your fantasy roleplaying trips /tg/?
I use Speed to stay sharp when I GM. Everyone in our group smokes weed but we only do it after, never before or during, and even that's fading as one by one people are hitting their mid-twenties or early thirties. Personally I only smoke once every two months nowadays.
>>44357439
That was amazingly stupid.
>>
My entire group smokes weed heavily every session, our GM is known to use adderall for sessions lasting more than 10 hours
>>
>>44354137

I do not.
>>
File: 1450500788880.png (908 KB, 802x689) Image search: [Google]
1450500788880.png
908 KB, 802x689
>group insists on having a bong at every session
>group knocks the bong over and spills filthy bongwater on everything every single time

Stop.
>>
>>44354137
Just caffeine.
>>
>>44354137
No, because all mind-affecting drugs besides non-addictive stimulants and prescribed pharmaceuticals are degenerate, and role playing is a wholesome and G-dly game.
>>
>>44359332
Yeah, but taking speed to GM is amazingly stupid as well.
>>
>>44359263
>m-muh wonder plant can do no wrong!
>>
File: 1434807218185.jpg (279 KB, 1050x1050) Image search: [Google]
1434807218185.jpg
279 KB, 1050x1050
>>44354137
I smoke cannabis when playing on roll20 sometimes. I mute my camera so no one knows (not sure how they'd react). I'm easily the best roleplayer in my group. Everyone loves me for it, and they have no idea it's because I'm high as a kite.
>>
>>44354137

No, and fuck anyone that does (this includes alcohol). It's hard enough to keep the game on track sober.
>>
>>44359639
>10 hour sessions on adderall
Your group doesn't fuck around.
>>
>>44354137
No. Drugs are bad, mmkay?
>>
>>44356907
Oh, look a degenerate drug apologist.
>>
>>44359824
Ew :^(

Tell them to eat a dick, if they lack the fine motor skills to not knock it over then they clearly have no business getting high.
>>
>>44356907
>things_druggies_actually_believe.post
>>
>>44359639
Reminds me of a story I read on here about a guy who skipped his meds one night while DMing, and his players had the most calm, comfy adventure ever. I can't remember it all but there was mention of a quest to retrieve some feathers from a giant bird, and the dialogue for the bird was strangely melodramatic.
"Hey, uh, you dudes need feathers? Chill chill, take what you need I have, like, toons of feathers."
>>
My players like to be stoned as hell but it impairs my mental faculties too much to do anything other than a beer or two and lots of coffee.
It's fun to play a little stoned or a little drunk but it only works in moderation and if other players are partaking.
>>
File: 1445887858720.jpg (150 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1445887858720.jpg
150 KB, 1024x576
>>44356907
>>
>>44354137
No. The hardest thing I do is beer and tobacco.
>>
Does anyone incorporate drugs into their games specifically?

Example:
"The oracle offers you a pipe filled with vision herbs."
Then each player takes a hit.
>>
>>44360083
No, that sounds like something a 16 year old would come up with and think is brilliant.
>>
>>44360099
Why? If your group is smoking anyway, I think it adds a bit of charm to the game.
>>
>>44360048
>one handed Eviscerator

Absolutely heretical.
>>
>>44360083
My wizard refuses to sully his soul with such infernal substances, and divines knowledge through sheer force of will like any respectable sapient.
>>
>>44356907

>pot is non-addictive

I knew a girl who was 14 when her big brother and I were freshmen in college. Smart, super-hot, eventually was positively electric in her charisma.

She started smoking around 16, and we all came down on her. Even the ones who were into that shit themselves. "No, no, don't worry... I don't have an addictive personality."

Ten years later she's more or less where she started. No TV commercial descent into darkness, no "Requiem for a Dream" ending... but her life hadn't gone anywhere. Can't stop smoking it, either. Why? "Well, quitting's harder for me. I have an addictive personality."

My experience with weed is that it makes years of your life disappear like magic. You light up, hang out, and then look up and realize ten years have gone by and you're still on the same couch working the same shitty jobs complaining about how "society" fucked you. You're heavier and your looks are fading fast, your youth is gone, and you have nothing to show for it.

Most of my pot-heavy friends had a moment like this, quit, and turned it around. But you'll never get your 20's back.

Finally, pot doesn't make you more creative. It makes you less anxious about expressing the ideas you have anyway. Like those people who can't approach a girl when they're sober. It doesn't make you smarter, either; in fact it makes you dumber. But your self-assessment of your smarts goes way up.

Better to cultivate your abilities without the pot. It's still there in you, but if you take the shortcut then you'll NEED the shortcut. And you're always one shitty mood away from getting into shit that really will fuck you up.
>>
>>44360121
If your group is smoking anyways you need to either find a new group or kill yourself if you're smoking along with them.
>>
>>44360121
Not really. That's like making your players take a shot any time their character drinks. It's stupid and is just an excuse to get inebriated.
>>
>>44354137
Only if it's DEEP DARK FANTASY.
>>
>>44360159
I feel you, but I wouldn't be forcing them to smoke, just an offer, and knowing my group, they'd all take me up on it. I just think it would be kind of a cute way to incorporate the smoking rather than taking a break away from the game.

>>44360135
Okay.
>>
>>44356477

My friends and I drink at games sometimes. Like, a single beer per 2-3 hours of play. Not enough to even get buzzed. It's fine. We've never had a problem with people getting drunk at a game, but I think if someone drank that much, they wouldn't get an invitation back.

If you're going to do a drunk game, make it a one-off game in a simple clear system with a simple clear plot. Drunk games are fun because you're all drunk, not because it's a game. It's fun the way being drunk and doing anything is. Don't fuck up a campaign everyone loves over it.

We've all long since quit, but there were some cigarette and pipe smokers back in the day. We'd take a smoke break every hour or two and sit outside and shoot the shit, even the non-smokers. Everyone would take bathroom breaks, grab snacks, and get back into it.

No drugs at all during or before a game, even those of us who were on drugs. We had one pothead who I think smoked prior to gaming, but never enough that it affected his play noticeably. Again, if it had showed, he'd have been dumped from the group.

I once ran a game where we'd turned off the lights and played by the fireplace, then I ran them through a spirit quest. Plenty of imagery, in the cyberpunk "crammed prose" style that was in at the time. Two girls in our group went into flashbacks (and no they hadn't used acid all day). We had to take a break and talk them down. I'm a little proud that my imagery was so vivid and compelling.
>>
>>44359263

I've seen guys that bad. Not often, but it happens. Usually it's pot mixed with something else.
>>
File: Geoff Johns.gif (3 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Geoff Johns.gif
3 MB, 300x168
>>44360127
Drugs, not even once.
>>
>>44360235
>Two girls in our group went into flashbacks (and no they hadn't used acid all day). We had to take a break and talk them down. I'm a little proud that my imagery was so vivid and compelling.
You should have been less proud and more worried that they did acid in the first place; psychedelics are no bueno.
>>
>>44360127
>muh anecdotal example of this one person i once knew
>>
>>44360298
>muh personal anecdotal example of how drugs are totally fine guize
>>
>>44359856

Yeah the funny (sad) thing is how speed addicts are the last ones to notice the toll it's taken on them. Usually it's only when they try to go clean and realize how deep in they are.

I had a friend who took it to program better for his startup (dot com era). He was fucking up more and becoming hard to work with, but he just didn't believe it. Then he promised to do without for a full month to prove how under control he is. He said he didn't realize how bad it was until his gf caught him picking it out of his bathroom rug and he had to admit he'd been sneaking it and dropped some. He said that moment when he's down on all fours pawing for it by the shitter like fucking Gollum was the moment when it all became clear.

Pot isn't addictive like meth or heroin, but it's still addictive. It may or may not have the long term effects of cigarettes, but the short-term effects are pretty noticeable to someone who's not on it.
>>
>>44360135
I actually found a new group partly for that. The whole group would be passing the bong around and I'd be running the game sober.
I had interest from a cop friend and a couple christian friends and my group didn't want to invite anyone who wouldn't get stoned with them.

It got kind of fucking annoying that they kept trying to get me to smoke when I'd quit drugs for a year by the time the campaign started as well.
>>
>>44360334
Good on you, anon.
>It got kind of fucking annoying that they kept trying to get me to smoke when I'd quit drugs for a year by the time the campaign started as well.
Now that is some bullshit, and it's good to see that you didn't put up with it. Did you tell them to cut the shit?
>>
>be me
>on summer break
>decide I'll get high before a VtM one shot (I know)
>start smoking weed in the balcony
>20 minutes later I've smoked a full joint and I'm rolling the next
>realize I was supposed to be at my friend's place already
>realize I'm ridiculously high
>get there
>present my character sheet
>all my friends are really homely-like, they don't recognize the smell or the fact that I'm super high
>we start playing
>we're dropped off by a van at a countryside manor, bajou style
>we see silhouettes around the swamp
>tension rising
>I'm really getting in character
>we roll to stick together and not get lost
>one guy fails the roll
>this happens again
>it's just me and one more guy
>I (both my character and I) am freaking out over the fact that we're separating
>I snap at the player that's with me, panicking both in and outside of the game
>we get swarmed by vampire hunters, I'm loudly freaking out, trying to run, climb trees, anything
>guy next to me (long killed by hunters) taps me on the shoulder
>commends me for my characterisation
>everyone in the table agrees
>I realize I've been freaking out for the last hour or so
>start laughing like a moron
>10 minutes later I get back in character for a dialogue with the head vampire hunter and I also get super into it

Only experience I've had with drugs and tabletop. I should do it again but I just don't do drugs very often because of college.

>captcha just asked me to 'select all the images with trees'
>>
>>44360375
There's a difference between being in character and being so fucked up that the lines between you and your character are blurred, anon.
>>
>>44360369
Yeah, I did. A few of them play in my current campaign and it's a lot easier when players aren't sneaking off to do coke and shit mid-game. Some players drink a beer or two during a 4-5 hour session but everyone's more or less sober now.
I've never had a problem turning it down since I spent about 5 or 6 years smoking daily, doing opiates, speed, heavy drinking, etc. then a year of trying to get sober and having occasional relapses.I'm one of those folks who have an addictive personality so I never stick to just smoking occasionally. Made it weird how some of the players seemed resentful of me being clean and having non-druggie friends.
>>
>>44360401
That's the thing. It started as getting in-character because my Gangrel clearly liked to look at his partners over his shoulder and be distant, and over time I wanted my character to start getting more and more nervous as if he couldn't trust the other characters. It just happened that I got carried away. People at the table liked it.
>>
>>44360290

Yeah, maybe, but I was in my 20's and they were already on acid when I met them. They were other guys' gfs, and jumping all over them to quit would have been worse than useless. It's still ultimately their decision and their lives to fuck up.

Another girl who was heavy into acid quit when we started dating. She later told me that she knew I wouldn't approve. Unbelievably hot, like ridiculously so. In those days, users said many of the same things about acid that they say today about pot.

>>44360298

Well, if you'd read my post with a clear head, you'd have noticed that I then generalize to large numbers of friends who'd used. The case was meant to be illustrative, not confirmatory.
>>
>>44354137
I can't remember the last time I played sober.
If i don't have a beer or gin and tonic in front of me, I'm hitting my flask hard.
Makes playing more fun for me, makes me a better GM.
>>
>>44359856
Not anymore, but for couple months I did it was rather neat. Nowadays it's just massive quantities of caffeine.
>>44360323
I believe it. Once your baggie is empty there's this sense of regret that quickly turns to revulsion once you realize what you're feeling. I definitely 'get' CoC better now; Speed is one of those things mankind isn't meant to understand.

It introduces you to someone who looks like you but knows all things, excels in all and has ideas the other you wouldn't ever have.

I think the reason I stopped was because this someone ended up scaring me so hard it surmounted my enjoyment of the stuff.

Also having had used Ritalin for way longer than is recommended due to my old doctor being kind of careless, which probably is a mixed blessing because my neurons were somewhat used to it.

TL;DR: Stimulants are serious business and I'm glad I never tried Benzos because they're even more insidious.
>>
>>44354137
yes
>>
>>44354137
hey buddy i think you got the wrong door, the dnd game's two blocks down
>>
>>44356340
I regularly fall asleep in our sessions because my group insists on holding them late at night when I work in the morning.
>>
>>44354137
We always get stoned or drunk before we play depending on prefrence.
>>
>>44354137
Only if we all are, gaming with one person on something might actually be the worst thing
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.