[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which FF SW is right for me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8
File: sw3.jpg (52 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
sw3.jpg
52 KB, 356x500
Needless to say after seeing Force Awakens my Star Wars hype levels are higher than my midi-chlorians

The new Star Wars RPG books look fun, but at ~$40 a book I can't afford to get all three at once. I have the pdfs to skim through but I refuse to run a game off of my laptop

Some questions:

> What are the major differences between Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny?
> What types of campaigns are suited to each?
> Are the core rules for the system included in each book?
> Are different enemies/NPCs included in each book?
> In your opinion, which is the most fun?
> Not really concerned about the dice. After a year of constant DnD 5e I could go for a more abstract resolution system.

My brother wants to run a game set between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, I want to run something set right before Force Awakens. Which book would cater to either/both of these settings?
>>
File: sw2.jpg (36 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
sw2.jpg
36 KB, 389x500
I feel like Edge of the Empire would be better for characters focused on surviving and getting to the next job a la Firefly, but I also feel like Star Wars is a power fantasy and grittiness and realism wouldn't necessarily be that fun in this universe.

Then again, it would be cool to explore the darker parts of Coruscant or get in a bar fight on Tatooine.
>>
>>44342646
They're pretty fun. There is overlap between the books but each one also has unique enemies, equipment and character trees. They all work together easily, its really up to you to decide what you want to use in your game.

I use everything in my games because its a game about hair metal Jedi fighting the empire with the power of rock but you may want to restrict it for yourself.
>>
>>44342727

Jeebus that sounds metal.

How does Age of Rebellion fit into the scheme of things? Is it full of more martial rules and equipment compared to the other books?
>>
>>44342769
If I recall it fleshes out the rebels more and adds a bunch of equipment. It also has an alternative for the obligation mechanic called renown (I think) which you want to increase rather than keep low. Can change the style of play a bit, but is more for a military focused campaign than a smuggler one. Before my current game I ran edge of the empire all by itself and that went just fine.
>>
File: sw1.jpg (48 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
sw1.jpg
48 KB, 389x500
>>44342853

So it sounds like I can hold of on Age of Rebellion since I don't run super military-focused games.

Are there cool/fun dark side options in Force and Destiny? for when my players inevitably murder everything in sight with their light sabers
>>
The Old Republic is the best setting in Star Wars. Have they released a book for that yet?
>>
File: sw4.jpg (129 KB, 990x600) Image search: [Google]
sw4.jpg
129 KB, 990x600
>>44342956

idk how likely that is, but it would be cool to see a book for the new trilogy
>>
>>44342923
Yeah the force power mechanic I really like. They are like power trees which need to be activated with force points which get rolled off a special die. It's nice because while there are mechanical drawbacks from using the dark side points (which there are more of) it can still tempt players to use it "just this one time".
>>
>>44342956
There was a source book for one of the old WotC game lines, but none for FFG's games yet.
>>
File: bf1.jpg (513 KB, 750x1159) Image search: [Google]
bf1.jpg
513 KB, 750x1159
>>44343137

I think it would be easier to recruit and engage players with a "YOU GET TO BE FKN JEDI" game than a "you're a second-rate Han Solo" game... So I think I'm gonna buy Force and Destiny right now with all those giftcards my coworkers got me for Life Day

>>44343147

My brother has decided that he wants to research the Star Wars d20 game so I might end up playing that after all
>>
>>44343194
https://mega.nz/#!eZc0iKRS!Rz8dZwRIdDygILYnqjTqXgVxJZ73bKDTjO9dfArUDdg
https://mega.nz/#!bBshzSQJ!aVqbGvQDyRsYasjfHcPA_kurzK5fXSCT8FNKIImZ6t8
>>
>>44342646
> What are the major differences between Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny?/What types of campaigns are suited to each?
EoE is criminals and smugglers and shit, AoR is rebels and soldiers and shit, FaD is jedis and shit. If you want something approaching actual Star Wars you need all of them. Unless you plan to pirate the books the characters your players can make and the scenarios that you can run easily with the game are ultimately determined by how much you are willing to fork over.

> Are the core rules for the system included in each book?
Yes. It is fucking stupid. They basically sold the same barely functioning core rules three times when they could have just released a Core Rulebook and three different splats. However doing that wouldn't have allowed them to jew the living fuck out of Star Wars nerds.

> Are different enemies/NPCs included in each book?
Yes.

> In your opinion, which is the most fun?
They all suck.

> Not really concerned about the dice. After a year of constant DnD 5e I could go for a more abstract resolution system.
You're going to want at least 3 sets of Special Snowflake FFG Star Wars Brand Fun Dice (TM) if you don't want to be constantly re-rolling individual dice within one dice pool. This happens to be FUCKING ANNOYING.
>>
File: wowww.jpg (79 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
wowww.jpg
79 KB, 800x451
>>44343233

Bless you

>>44343272

What's fucking annoying is that those dice are sold out everywhere right now
>>
>>44343373
get a beginner box. comes with a set of dice and you can find out if you guys like it or not for about half or less than half the price of a core book
>>
File: 1314128043735.jpg (218 KB, 552x552) Image search: [Google]
1314128043735.jpg
218 KB, 552x552
>>44343272
It is fucking stupid that the core rules are in all the books. That sucks. I don't want to pay for that....
That said: What's wrong with the rules?
Do you think one of the other systems was better?
Or do you just hate everything?
>>
>>44346957
He hates everything.
>>
File: There is no need to be upset.gif (147 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
There is no need to be upset.gif
147 KB, 600x375
>>44343272
>>
>>44342646

edge is about an han solo, smuggler low epic kinda game

age is about large military clashes

force is about the jedi/sith/the force kinda games

edge and age kinda melt together mecanics wise but DONT try to make a force sensitive game with those books

for force powered gameplay, you NEED force and destiny

also, dice, the concept is neat but you need a bajillion of them, which is costly if you dont want to look for the conversion table every roll
>>
There is a free android app for the dice, and a $5 app from FFG.

I don't normally advocate dice apps, but this one so far has been an exception
>>
>>44342646
EoE is Han.
AoR is Leia.
FaD is Luke.
>>
>>44343194
The one with an Old Republic setting book is Saga Edition, which is 3.5 + proto 4e. The Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide is one of the priciest with copies hitting the $100 mark easily.

I've played Saga. It's alright I guess, but it helped cement that I generally want nothing to do with d20.
>>
>>44350340
Let's be real. Everyone wants to be Luke.
>>
>>44350935
I wanted to be a pilot with force powers.
A-Wing, blaster pistol and Force levitation combo, no saber.
>>
>>44351127
Force and Destiny Warrior class that takes the Starfighter ace specialization.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.