[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yo /tg/, somewhat of a small challenge: Make a character (Let's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 39
Yo /tg/, somewhat of a small challenge:
Make a character (Let's say in general fantasy setting) who uses a Katana, but still not a brooding edgelord.
Bonus points for an original, interesting concept.
>>
Fuck you.

That's my character idea.
>>
File: Zaraki.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Zaraki.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>44338404
Next.
>>
>>44338404
A generic paladin, except they wield a katana instead of some other weapon.
>>
Merchant-seaman goes to NotJapan, does merchant type things, accidentally performs an action of extremely poor etiquette towards a minor noble, is required to enter into an indentured servitude in order to pay the honor debt. During the servitude he alerts guards to an assassin's attempt on the noble's life, thereby saving the noble.
In gratitude, the noble forgives the debt and gives the seaman a weapon as a sign of respect.
Seaman gets on the next trading vessel home, starts life as an adventurer.
>>
>>44338404
Happy merchant descended from the merchants of the Nippon-Brazillian trade alliances. Owns a Katana as a family hierloom and hears it mostly for respect of his heritage
>>
File: 1448126168354.jpg (951 KB, 2143x1654) Image search: [Google]
1448126168354.jpg
951 KB, 2143x1654
>>44338404
A Noble Knight (Or Samurai if you want to weeb it up) in service to his or her lord.

A wandering traveler who needs a low maintenance weapon that can easily pierce flesh, since bandits aren't likely to be toting around full plate armor any time soon

Any other concept which doesn't rely on a weapon
>>
>>44338404
I once made a samurai in a D&D game, used a katana. Her whole deal was she was a bodyguard for a daimyo but got banished for something she couldn't control. So she went to go be an adventurer, and by the start of the campaign was wearing half kimono half adventurer gear, integrating western culture into her mannerisms and outfit as the campaign went on.

The day she first got wasted was a blast for the whole table.
>>
How about, you know, an honorable fucking samurai who wanders the land protecting peasants and the downtrodden from those who seek to oppress them?
>>
>>44338420
/thread
>>
>>44338420
Zaraki might not be brooding, but he is definitely edgy. He exists only to fight and gives no fucks about whose side his opponent is on. If you're strong, he will fight you. If not, he'll barely acknowledge your existence.
>>
>>44338471
Samurai used bows on horseback more than swords. They only used the katana if they really needed to.
>>
>>44338420
Not too familliar with Bleach-Basically this dude is some Blood Knight with amazing durabilty but no special anime powers, right?
>>
>>44338514
Basically. He's got his share of Anime BS, but it's the 'can feel swords as they start to pierce his skin and dodge them' instead of powerups and laser beams.
>>
>>44338404
>>
>>44338444
underrated post
>>
>>44338512
They used their katanas nonetheless. I'd like to see you bring mounted archery to a duel.
>>
>>44338404
Lotus Geisha Bard, who does party support in combat, and carries a Katana from the Samurai who kidnapped her and sold her into the sex trafficking trade that molded her into a professional geisha.

She carries it as a reminder, and uses it only as a last resort.

She is otherwise very upbeat and happy, and is constantly playing her violin.
>>
>>44338404
>Take any martial character
>Have them use a katana instead of whatever other weapon

Done.
>>
>>44338606
I'd like to see you do something about it, if someone did bring mounted archery to a katana fight.

Yer fuck'd son.
>>
>>44338404
An actual Samurai.
>>
File: orc.jpg (158 KB, 500x741) Image search: [Google]
orc.jpg
158 KB, 500x741
>>44338404
Done.
>>
>>44338629
That would be violating the conditions of a duel and be very dishonorabu.
>>
>>44338648
I can't hear you over the sound of my ears being penetrated with arrows, because I brought a katana to a bow fight.
>>
>>44338514
>>44338564
He fought a guy who could make whatever he imagined possible. After he stopped everything the guy threw at him, imagination boy decided to copy his strength, which led to him being disintegrated because he couldn't imagine anyone being able to hold that kind of power inside them. His power level is literally unimaginable.
>>
>>44338661
well then that's when you use your fucking mounted archery man get it together

different situations call for different weaponry is all I'm saying. Sometimes you need to get up close and personal and that's when you get out the sword.
>>
>>44338701
Just saying, you can be as honorable as you want, doesn't help if your enemy gives zero fucks about honor.
>>
>>44338512
Depends on the time period
>>
Assuming this is in a standard setting, not!Asia is unavailable or/And does not exist yet Katanas exist...

Some shitty militiaman is fighting against whatever menace he's been drafted to face. Huge spell/Artillery strikes the formation, the ground collapses.
>down the hole he goes
But he doesn't die. Oh no, he survives the fall and he alone is well enough to walk and seek aid for the wounded. Climbing out isn't an option but there are some hallways.
>is it a trap?
>itsnotatrap.jpeg
The battlefield is over an ancient ruin time has forgotten and the huge explosions have just prompted some impromptu archaeology. Hearing the sounds of the for and realizing he's not alone, he loots the ruins for something to fight with.
>katana.jpeg

Not great, but not hard, either. It's better than a spear or mace and
>free
so it makes sense he keeps it and prefers it to a weapon he was handed as he was drafted he has no experience with anyway.

Bonus points if he still has some scrolls he looted but can't read and late campaign discovers through an archaeologist learn`ed in moonrunes they're a bunch of Hentai stories .
>>
>>44338719
>Scroll of Black Tentacles
>>
>>44338729
Damn if only I played Pathfinder iMay have thought of that.
>Benny for you, Anon
>>
>>44338512
Weren't samurai edgelords known for not caring about what their master did or told them to do cause muh honor, get depressed and commit sudoku when their masters die or when they're told too, practice their sword edges on peasants because might makes right and class is everything, and the general air of superiority. Also the brooding samurai is a serious hallmark for a reason.
>>
>>44338751
Yes.

Outsiders to oversimplify other cultures when they want to make them out to seem funny/evil. Just ask Hans over there at the Jewish community center, telling the kids to Be all they can Zyklon B.
>>
>>44338712
Ranged weaponry isn't meant for close combat. Having something for both situations is a good idea.

And all that honor stuff is about situations like a formally set up sword duel. Not actual battlefield stuff.
>>
>>44338807
Again, honor does shit to protect you against someone on a roof with a bow.
>>
>>44338750
Savage Worlds is the best, my nigga.
>>
>>44338833
>He says, forgetting this is the workhorse sword of a society wherein footsoldiers were anticipated to scale the walls of their foe's castle without so much as a rope
>by bother their Commanders and the people designing the castle
Context is King.
>>
>>44338833
This is under the assumption that the scheduled opponent isn't a cheating scumbag.
>>
>>44338404
How is this remotely challenging?

I can't speak for how original or interesting they are but I've already thought of six different backgrounds that are not remotely edgy.
>>
>>44338876
But you won't give them as examples to back up your unfounded arguement?
>>
File: 14-rurouni-kenshin.png (505 KB, 478x900) Image search: [Google]
14-rurouni-kenshin.png
505 KB, 478x900
>>44338404
A trusted and loyal Samurai who is exploring the "western" continent on orders from his local lord/emperor/daimyo to try and learn their culture, potential strengths and weaknesses, establish trade routes, and figure out if the continent is worth invading for more room for farmland/living space.

Alternatively, there's someone like Kenshin, a former assassin who is now wandering the countryside, looking to use his swordskills to protect those who cannot defend themselves from evil or corrupt beings that threaten to kill/ruin the normal people's lives.
>>
>>44338933
Yeah. Cept kenshin brooded all the time. He brooded about his past actions all the time and during battle he brooded. The only times he didn't were comic relief or scenes designed specifically how unbrooding he was that showed for fleeting seconds before returning to Broodtown, Edgeville. Population: Him.
>>
A pixie who drives around a suit of powered armour. The control device is a magical katana stuck into the helm. It acts like a joysrick.
>>
>>44338404
A sentient katana containing a Ye Olde world explorer extraordinaire safarian soul.
>>
>>44338404
A skilled swordsman who is kind of a doofus but has become enamored with exotic curved swords brought by wayfaring merchants. "They're superior to other blades. The steel's been folded over a million times, the merchant told me so!"
>>
>>44338404
A warrior from the east who has come to explore the mysterious west. He's a pretty nice guy, but he doesn't understand a lot of the west's customs, though he is curious about them. In addition, he reacts to certain monsters differently based on their equivalent in his homelands. This coupled with his confusion over some of the west's customs lead to funny shenanigans from time to time.

>Why are you holding your hand out, stranger? Am I supposed to give you something?
>Goblins? Those are goblins? Ridiculous! They don't even have wings or pointy noses!
>Hello, honorable dragon. Forgive us for our intrusion, we simply wish to pass through your lands so tha-OW HOTHOTHOT!
>>
Okay.

'Twas Christmas eve at the village's bakery, and Maria was working there.
She was happy and cheerful, and never was fearful, with flower and braid in her hair.
Then entered a man, as slow as he can, to buy bagels and three loves of bread,
And saw he the maiden, t'whom no care was laden, with nothing but joy in her head.
She greeted him quickly, and welcomed him meekly, and offered a cup of her tea,
Her face was so pretty, and manner so witty, that an idea soon came near to he.

"I thank you young lady, and though I look shady, I promise I mean you no harm,
I want to invite you, I'm sure I'll delight you, to teach you the skill of the arm!
So many are evil, and times are medieval, that I feel that I really must share,
The knowledge of swords, and service to Lords, so you can be answer to prayer."

"Oh mister forgive me, I don't think its in me, to take up a sword such as yours,
I am but little, and Father is brittle, I cannot away from my chores."
Yet Swordsman insisted, she must be enlisted, for pupils he trained many years:
Of them none were pure, of this he was sure! They caused only bloodshed and tears.

This girl! She must start, though whole world apart, to take up the path of the sword,
For a pure girl like her, won't be like they were: this righteousness! It he adored.
So kind words he told, promised to uphold, that never he'll force her to fight,
And on days when she'll learn, she will always return, to tuck her old father in tight.

So she agreed, though felt she no need to learn how to wield or to fight;
But Swordsman seemed nice and her father's advice had told her it must be alright.
>>
File: 1383089216090.png (375 KB, 477x640) Image search: [Google]
1383089216090.png
375 KB, 477x640
>>44338404

A highly successful and skilled mercenary who has an interest in exotic weaponry and collects whatever he can, including a katana. Uses the katana like a saber and wonders why the grip is so long.
>>
>>44338404

Disciple of the Broken Sword.

Frost Magi who have commited themselves fully to the art of the blade form swords made of pure ice to fight with.

Many keep their blades in one form, as to hone it's sharp edge, but make their blades brittle, to shatter them on purpose in battle.

What use is a broken blade? To a magi of ice and snow, it's an easy trick to reform the blade, or send it's shards flying through the air.

Master frost magi can use the moisture in the air itself to form new blades as they breal of their old in their foe's flesh.

Hope this is not too edgy
>>
>>44338986
Yeah, but as a player you can just remove all the brooding and edgelord stuff by saying, "what I did back then was evil, period. I'm trying to atone for my sins by doing good, and I hope one day it will be enough."
>>
He fell for the traveling snake oil nip who claimed his far east weaponry was better than anyone else's, and he's not gonna let anyone tell him he wasted 300 gold on a completely mundane sword.
>>
>>44339096

Time quickly passed, and her father at last was released from life's duties and cares,
Then flew up a fairy, and called to her: "Mary!" which took her complete unawares.

This mischevious sprite had watched with delight this young woman learning the blade,
From darkness she spied, and this time she lied and said "Mary, the Gods need your aid!
I am a great seer, so draw your ear near, dread tidings I give you tonight,
Go get your sword, in the name of the Lord, it is time to stand up and fight!
You destiny is (and I know: I'm a wiz!) to save this great nation from doom.
The prophecy's true, and this you must do: don't ever return to your room.
Join the party that's near, not too far from here: with cleric, and wizard, and theif.
A fighter they need, and you'll do the deed, and give them much-waited relief.

So the cheerful one went, and pitched up her tent with adventurers inside the wood,
She knew not tomorrow, but never felt sorrow, for she knew she fights for the Good.
>>
>>44338891
Gone for a bit of a nip
>Father retrieved the weapon as a war trophy and hung it on the mantle wall. PC would take it off the wall and swing it around for fun alongside his proper sword lessons and eventually making his own style which he sets out to test.
>The last student of a failing dojo. Although the techniques and fighters were of high quality political meddling drove them to the wind and the PC decided to seek his fortunes in the west.
>The son of a master of all weapons style warrior. He chose the katanna out of all of his fathers disciplines to learn.
>>
This guy.
>>
File: Usagi_Yojimbo.jpg (21 KB, 243x317) Image search: [Google]
Usagi_Yojimbo.jpg
21 KB, 243x317
>>44338404
Sup.
>>
File: 19971426_a3b9f9380f.jpg (41 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
19971426_a3b9f9380f.jpg
41 KB, 500x390
>>44338404
>who uses a Katana, but still not a brooding edgelord.

I thought this was meant to be a challenge.
>>
>>44338487
How's that edgy? A bit one dimensional, definitely but it has room for exploration and growth. It's not like he spouts nihilistic quotes and desires to destroy the world cos there's no one left to fight or something.
>>
>>44338751
You're crossing historical periods, anon. Half of what you described were samurai post Ieyasu and the other half pre Ieyasu.
>>
>>44339372
my husbando
>>
>>44339372
>tfw we will never get a series of games based on Sam being cloned a la Big Boss
>tfw we will never get Old Man Raiden training Jetstream Solid in the way of the sword
>tfw no faceoff between Jetstream Solid, Jestream Liquid, and the former prime minster of Japan, Jetstream Solidus
>>
>>44339427
Kikuchiyo was too good for this world.
>>
>>44338404
A minor nobleman from not!Japan has heard stories about the place the campaign is taking place, and decided that he wanted to see it for himself. He packed his katana because it's a symbol of status and he might need to defend himself, but he really just wants to learn as much as possible about this strange and different place. He writes down all the interesting stuff in a diary.
>>
>>44339545
Yeah but they're still samurai.
>>
ex-Bodyguard turned Fighter. Became an adventurer when a assassin got through and killed his employer, a trader from far away lands. the character now wields the ceremonial weapon his employed carried as a constant reminder to be ever vigilant for danger
>>
A sword is just a tool. You could take literally any non-edgy background and append "His favoured weapon is the katana" to it and you would have a non-edgy katana-wielding character.
>>
File: You've got wang.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
You've got wang.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
Next question, please.
>>
File: Owain_(FE13_Artwork).png (466 KB, 676x820) Image search: [Google]
Owain_(FE13_Artwork).png
466 KB, 676x820
>>44338404
>inb4 someone calls Owain an edgelord
>>
>>44339887

That sword seems too straight to be a katana.
>>
File: 1418270638355.jpg (71 KB, 600x692) Image search: [Google]
1418270638355.jpg
71 KB, 600x692
>>44338404
I give you: SALARYMAN SAMURAI!

By day, Toshiro Miyamoto is your average, unassuming salaryman. He works nine to five, dresses in a suit, and spends his days attending boardmeetings and bowing to his bosses.

But by afternoon, he draws his ancestral sword and fights evil! But not quite by night because he and his coworkers meet up for drinks around seven.
>>
File: duelistFemaleDualWield.jpg (94 KB, 900x882) Image search: [Google]
duelistFemaleDualWield.jpg
94 KB, 900x882
>These?
>A friend of mine gave it to me. He said he stole them himself when the merchant ship he was on was attacked. He was press-ganged into the pirate's crew, escaped a few years later. I guess he was from some far west island or something. He said if I ever got the pair back the gods of the land would reward me. Apparently they have sexy fox gods or something? Crazy right? I dunno, maybe some day I'll wander over there.
>Until then it's like a well made but somewhat rigid saber. I had the handles replaced with basket hilts a while ago. Works well for me, fighting from wyvern back.

>Oh the guy? Eachy Row? No he didn't die, he got an inn-keeper's childless widow pregnant and decided to settle down. I don't blame him, there's something about lonely red-heads....
>>
File: 1353628670162.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1353628670162.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>44340192
>not having foreigners nickname "ichiro" as "itchy"

Well, at least if they're english speaking.

I guess when fantastic languages are taken into account, the whole thing falls apart. I guess you're good. Nevermind then.

>>44338404
also, OP, I dare you to call this girl edgy.
>>
>>44338404
I think you've spent too much time on the internet or this is just a thinly veiled "give me ideas" thread.
>>
File: Erect.jpg (228 KB, 943x648) Image search: [Google]
Erect.jpg
228 KB, 943x648
>>44339096
>>44339341
>>
>>44340054
9/10 would play
>>
You make a fighter, and give him a katana.
No reason to make a big deal out of it.
>>
>>44338986
being an assassin and multiperson killer and then not brooding or thinking about it afterwards is more edgelord than Kenshin ever could be
>>
>>44340622
Still. We're avoiding edge AND brooding.
>>
>>44338444
This ? A character is not defined by it's choice of weapons in 99% of the cases. Stop blaming the katana for the edgyness instead of the player.
#notallkatanawielders
>>
>>44341043
Nah m8. Not all edgemeisters are katana users but all katana users are edgemeisters
#falseflags
>>
>>44338512
It actually depends on the time period.
>>
>>44338404
Well there's the obvious option of setting it in a society where the warrior-class uses katanas, but, since you said general Fantasy setting (which I assume is standard Western-European type), then how about this: a traveling merchant from not!Japan. He might have a bodyguard, or multiple bodyguards from various lands. He uses a katana, though he prefers not to fight personally -- he's no warrior, but he does have to defend himself, and he was a member of the nobility in his homeland, and likewise has the right to carry a katana. Maybe he's a member of a disgraced noble clan that lost all their land and titles, possibly due to angering the shogun or the emperor of not!Japan. His father and brothers were forced to commit seppuku, his mother and sisters did the same to avoid being taken by the shogun's men. But he, perhaps being a coward, couldn't go through with it. He took his sword, he took a single horse, and he fled into the night. Perhaps there was another sibling who also couldn't go through with it -- perhaps a younger brother or sister.

Now he (along with his possibly-accompanying sibling) travels the road under an adopted pseudonym, making a living as a traveling peddler. Perhaps he and his possible sibling are musicians, and use their talent with the koto and biwa to make a living when they're low on funds and goods to sell. Maybe they're being hunted by the shogun's men, or maybe they're just paranoid and think they are. Or maybe they just have the wanderlust, or a tendency to get in trouble with the laws of the lands they find themselves in. Maybe one of them always dreamed of seeing the world beyond their homeland, and take their flight from their homeland as an opportunity to do so.

The game/story can still be set in not!Europe, but the katana-using character is from somewhere else.
>>
>>44341061
There is also the munchkins that want that sweet 1d10 one handed.
#banassaultswords
>>
>>44338404

The character is a light cavalryman who mostly faces lightly-armoured or unarmoured opponents and therefore uses long, curved blades.
>>
Edgy lone samurai warrior dies in the woods.

30 years later rogue lightning bolt strikes his skeleton body. The bolt itself is a lightning elemental. Usually these guys just strike the ground, but this elemental gets trapped in the sheer willpower leftover in the skeleton.

The elementals energy breathes life back into the body of the warrior, reviving him. The elemental resides trapped in his katana. He loses his, gains a mischievious personality, and seeks to slay beast after beast, monster after monster.
>>
>>44338512
well, in this case it could be a ronin instead. traveling the lands in peasants clothing righting wrongs with his sword as the only reminder of his past
>>
>>44338404

The katana is the samurai, the one wielding it is a well-meaning farm boy willing to let the katana take over during combat.
>>
My character is a husband with 2 children. No more, because that would be a hassle. Multimillionaire inheritor of a small electronics company.

One night, a Halloween night, he is dressed as a ninja for the party he is holding, complete with a plastic Katana.

He is passing out candy to the local children when he sees an elderly gentleman in a tophat with cane standing behind, carrying shopping bag to be used for candy.

"Good evening, Sir. Are you here for the party?"
"No, no. I'm here for candy for my daughter who is sick."
"Ah, too bad for her then."
He passes the old man some candy.
"Thank you, thank you. I am also here for you."
"Wha-?"

From now on, he has been thrusted into the setting with his toy Katana, floppy as the plastic it was made but indestructible and containing new magical properties and a personality of child who is slowly dying elsewhere.
>>
>>44338404
A katana is just a fucking long sword, you retard
do that influences the whereabouts of the character? no. except if youàre a dumb mofo, thatàs it.
as expected by people that use words like "edgelord"
>>
>>44341482
Found the edgelord
>>
>>44340470

I'm glad you like it, mr. alligator.
>>
>>44338514
There are some hints that he'll get a special anime power soon, and might have had it all along in the form of a magical loli who cheers him own.
>>
File: Quigonheadshot.jpg (161 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Quigonheadshot.jpg
161 KB, 480x640
>>44338404
>>
>>44338404

Mr. Thou.
>>
File: mountainsword.jpg (185 KB, 480x257) Image search: [Google]
mountainsword.jpg
185 KB, 480x257
>>44339427

He was a hero.
>>
>>44338487
Nah. He's actually one of the most chill dudes in the show when he's not actively polishing his murderboner.

He holds regular barbecues for his squad, and has a policy which holds enjoying yourself over doing any actual work.
>>
A warrior who recently found out he was immortal after getting stabbed in battle. He tries to live a normal life but can't. He meets up with a flamboyantly dressed man who mentors him and tells him there are others like him and they're all heading towards a future gathering. He gets killed eventually by another immortal and the warrior takes his weapon, a katana forged years ago by an emperor specifically for this guy.
>>
Who gets the "Least Edgy" award in this thread?
>>
>>44341732
Edgy doesn't actually mean anything other than "what I don't like".
>>
>>44341743

Clearly you do not get the award, baka gaijin.
>>
>>44341709
This. Dudes based. He'll even handicap himself to give you a fighting chance.
>>
>>44338404
>Ctrl+F: Samurai Jack
>0 Results

You all bring great dishonor on your clans. You just play the noble warrior character except he's a samurai, its not hard.
>>
>>44341220

But that's a dumb way to munchkin. You are spending a feat for +1 damage compared to a longsword.
>>
>>44341807
He broods about his past and how its like he'll never get back there. We need CHILL mofos not edgy and/or broody peeps.
>>
>>44341825
>Mourning for the destruction of your entire home is edgy

That's called having character, it'd be infinitely more edgy if he looked at his destroyed home and went "Meh". If you don't think Samurai Jack is chill you can just get the fuck outta my face.
>>
File: PulpFiction_155Pyxurz.jpg (141 KB, 1600x873) Image search: [Google]
PulpFiction_155Pyxurz.jpg
141 KB, 1600x873
An old prize fighter who was supposed to take a dive decided to double-cross his employer (a crime lord) and skip town with the money. However, his ditzy girlfriend forgot to pack a family heirloom and he returns to his house to retrieve it, even though he knows that his former boss's thugs will be on the lookout for him. He has a run-in with an an assassin, which he survives, but on the way back to the inn where his GF is waiting, he runs into the boss who wants him dead. There is a minor scuffle in which they are both injured, and the fighter and the boss both end up running into a shop. However, the shop owner turns out to be a sexual deviant. He ties up the fighter and the crime lord and calls over a town guard, who is his friend and fellow deviant. While the two have their way with the crime lord in the basement, the fighter manages to free himself and makes his way to the shop's sales floor. There, he finds the perfect weapon...
>>
Wandering ronin with a heart of gold and weakness for home cooked meals.

Done, suck my cock now.
>>
>>44341617
Let Qui-gons be bygones
>>
>>44338514
Pretty much. He's got an absurd level of spiritual energy, to the point that most people can't even injure him, and to where he needs that eyepatch to keep it down to a level where most people don't pass out simply from being near him. This has lead to him being a pretty reckless fighter, because it either doesn't hurt him or it does, but he just takes it as a sign that he's fighting a worthy opponent.
>>
>>44341867
Winner winner chicken dinner.
>>
>>44338719

>better than a mace

Fuck you maces are love.

...Well, flanged maces anyways.
>>
>>44341850
Never said he was edgy. I said he was BROODY. We don't want either.
>>
File: AMidianBorn_Blades_Armor.jpg (914 KB, 1585x1105) Image search: [Google]
AMidianBorn_Blades_Armor.jpg
914 KB, 1585x1105
A member of a western order of knights/royal bodyguards who have adopted eastern inspired weaponry and armor after encountering it in a failed invasion.
>>
>>44338446

This is like a shittier version of James Clavell's novel Shogun. Which everyone should read because it's fucking awesome.

And Shogun in turn is based on the true stories of Tokugawa Ieyasu, Akechi Gracia, and William Adams. I first read this almost 20 years ago and only found out a few years ago that the major events of the story are true.

In the story, Blackthorne (ficitonalized version of Adams) carries the swords for ceremony, but isn't a strong swordsman and uses concealed pistols instead. Which he uses to definitively resolve the pirates vs ninjas meme.
>>
>>44338404

>Play banestorm
>Character pops into Yrth in the region of sahud
>After a few adventures manages to get a sword
>Most swords there are katanas.

Done. Fits nearly any fantasy concept. If you're really going to be memey about it, then apply the "cool ethnic weapon" template. Otherwise, use the standard katana in Martial Arts, which is basically a longsword optimized for cutting rather than thrusting.
>>
>>44341932
He isn't broody though. He mourns for a short period before steeling himself to help others again. Remembering the entire reason your somewhere in life to help keep yourself going in the face of adversity is not brooding. At all.
>>
>>44338404
Deep miner strikes underground ruins.
In said ruins are old katanas, weapons of the now gone empire.
Miner keeps a katana for personal use because he doesn't really have a sword.

It honestly shouldn't be a problem making a million characters to meet this 'challenge.'
>>
>>44340054
This is the best post in the thread and my next character concept.
>>
>>44341959
But, what about the robots ?
>>
>>
>>44342046
One of the last episodes was him brooding around for 20 minutes straight before some oracle shows him a mirror of an old ass version of him finally going home and then he steels himself for like 3 seconds before credits roll. There was also 3 other episodes i distinctly remember being broody. Its a key character trait at that point.
>>
>>44342092

It was historical fiction. No robots. Just samurai, ninja, privateers, conquistadores, geisha, and an Amida cult assassin.

Kind of like Song of Ice and Fire, which is to say that ASoIaF draws a lot from Clavell's style and ideas. Extremely well written-- it was an instant classic and became a major TV miniseries.

Seriously, if you haven't read this, you should. It looks intimidatingly long but it's a very very fun read.
>>
>>44342107
No? Jack never sees his future self. The audience sees it as he gets carried off by a pterodactyl having gotten his ass kicked. Season 4 is on of the most lighthearted ones
>>
>>44339132
If he was a highly successful and skilled mercenary he would be able to figure out why the grip is long pretty quickly.
>>
>>44342119
Hang your head in shame, sir.

http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/products/mnpr-rpg.asp
>>
>>44342119
>>44342265
Also, I have read it. I read it when it first came out.

Then I watched the terrible movie.

Then I read/gargled with the book again to get the taste of the movie out of my mouth.
>>
>>44342119
>Seriously, if you haven't read this, you should. It looks intimidatingly long but it's a very very fun read.
I love the hell out of Shogun, both the book and the miniseries. I still remember my Dad and I driving all over town back when to find the one video rental place that had it, and that was back when VHS was still a thing.
>>
>>44338404
>A loveable, goofball farm boy has grown up hearing stories about the "way of the samurai" from an old not!Japanese adventurer who settled in his village.
>The old man dies and leaves everything to the farm boy, including his katana and full set of armor.
>The peasant takes the armor and katana and goes out adventuring while pretending to be a samurai himself.
>After a few minutes talking to him, no one is fooled, but he hits things REALLY hard so they take him along anyway.
>In other words, a dumb kid trying to live up to the exaggerated stories his mentor told him about samurai.
>Oh, and for bonus, he acts way over the top with the bravado and gets very defensive when anyone questions whether he really is a samurai.
>>
>>44342283

Embarrassed to say I've never seen the miniseries. Now maybe it's better that I didn't, neh?

The book is absolutely amazing.
>>
>>44338404
Basically any Kurosawa samurai. Lost the big fight and wonders the land doing the one thing he knows how for money, but is still social, noble, and hopeful.
>>
>>44341298
Not brooding, but definitely edgy
>>
File: yojimbo-thinking.jpg (31 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
yojimbo-thinking.jpg
31 KB, 550x412
>>44342688
Glad to see someone knows his shit
>>
>>44341867
Now that's what I call a chopper, baby.
>>
File: momohime.jpg (56 KB, 415x579) Image search: [Google]
momohime.jpg
56 KB, 415x579
Someone possessed by the spirit of a legendary swordsman?
>>
>>44344462
Being possessed by an evil swordsman like Jinkuro is kind of edgy, but Momo gets a pass because of those thighs.
>>
>>44338404
You can always make her the exotic fetish-bait swordswoman.

Hnnnggg... swordswomen are already fetish bait, so this makes her like... double fetish bait. Triple fetish bait if you have yellow fever. Quadruple fetish bait if on top of yellow fever, you have a fetish for cocky women who love teasing you over the fact that they could wreck your shit at any given moment if they wanted to.

>Inb4 magical realms are edgy
>>
>>44344521
Ya, not gonna lie, I just wanted to post Momo. But it would be fun to play a character like that.
>>
>>44338404

A courtier in service to a foreign lord in a distant country. He's a long way from home on a diplomatic errand for his lord, but circumstance causes him to join up with the party.

In truth, his errand is mostly a snipe hunt to get him out of the way for a while because he is low-born for a courtier (he got his job as thanks for saving his lord's life when they were both young) and being a perceived upstart with ideas far above his station, keeping him around has made things difficult for his lord's family.

He is aware that he's being kept out of sight, but has hit upon the notion that if he can prove himself a man of quality in the distant lands he's been sent off to he can go home and be welcomed as an equal. As a result, he throws himself into PC life, trying to become a formidable warrior and claim wealth and prestige in his lord's name.

His katana's an odd sword only popular in his homeland, and it's not a particularly good one compared to the swords of his newfound comrades, but he keeps it as his weapon of choice because it reminds him of where he came from and where he will return to one day (and makes him more memorable for his unusual weapon, which enhances his prestige) and makes up the difference by enchanting the sword and getting really good with it.

He's upbeat, optimistic, and eager to prove himself.
>>
>>44340227
>that gif
I think this will be my next NPC.

Some annoyingly cheerful chick who is constantly happy about *something*

Will be a good addition to my NPC population consisting of 99% edgelords or unfortunate and unlucky people.
>>
>>44345118
>it's not a particularly good one compared to the swords of his newfound comrades
I'd call you out right here.
This implication that one kind of sword is inherently better to another is the same grog bullshit that the idiots on the other end prop up.
>>
File: tumblr_nmh8blD5Hi1usrrwlo1_400.jpg (99 KB, 400x539) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmh8blD5Hi1usrrwlo1_400.jpg
99 KB, 400x539
A member of a knightly order aping a great warrior of the east, copying and adapting his equipment, style, and mannerisms without really understanding the culture or meaning behind them

Basically, play a weaboo/japanophile knight
>>
>>44345155
Nah. They had sword experts rate them including those trained in various forms including those related to the swords use. The bastard sword came out on top followed by scottish broad. Katana came near last. It had bent permanently, chipped a large chunk, and cracked another part not even hit. Then idea is while its tempering is right the harder layer outside versus the softer layer inside allowing proper bending and returning to shape during flex is just not thick enough to do the job properly. Against katana it would work fine due to the lack of weight and therefore force during clashes and the way you handle katana mitigates this as well but against a longsword its entirely useless. They made the best sword with the shit material at hand and made huge innovations to sword tech but the sword is lacking.
>>
>>44339372
I lost all my reaction images involving him and this makes me sad
>>
>>44338404
Groo
>>
File: ninjato.jpg (102 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
ninjato.jpg
102 KB, 700x700
>>44339926
Katana more or less just means "sword" (sorta) in japanese, and those guys made a shitload of different kinds of swords. Most of them are vaguely similar (being curved singled edged swords that varied mostly in curve depth and length) but there were some outliers including early straightswords and double-edged swords derived from Chinese blades. What we think of as a Katana derives primarily from an Uchigatana and it's derivatives, which they just started called "katanas" after a while. Some of the shorter blades had a much lighter curve to them, and the rather small knives made to the same pattern were often perfectly straight. What this guy probably has is a Ninjato, which were primarily used for parrying or thrusting. It's pretty simple sabre mechanics- there's less of a point trying to do a draw cut with a short enough blade, so straightening it out makes it more effective for stabbing. He's wielding the nip version of a rapier.
>>
>>44345347
A sword is a tool, and the katana was made for a specific purpose and opponent in mind. It's not a tachi, or the 4 other major blade types Japan used, and any "sword expert" that prattles some silliness that one sword made in one place to combat a specific foe of a era is better or worse than others is not worth listening to.
It's like saying there is a "best martial art".
>force during clashes
Are you talking about that utterly ridiculous tv show where they literally banged swords together?
>>
>>44341934
>Samurai with shields
I don't even like weeb gear so much, but this shit pisses me straight off.
>>
File: Nogabuna.png (13 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Nogabuna.png
13 KB, 640x400
Ex-Samurai wandering crab man swordsman. Very honourable and stubborn. He also wields a Naginata, a Yumi, and a Kanabo.
>>
>>44341934
Man, what kind of shitty toaster do you have that you get such an ugly screenshot?
>>
File: this nigga srs.jpg (78 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
this nigga srs.jpg
78 KB, 500x333
>>44339926
>>44345415
The sword is shown directly from above in that illustration, so drawing any curvation in that perspective would mean that it's badly bent.
>>
>>44345446
Curved blades with shields/bucklers was a thing in a lot of places.
>>
File: Samurai_using_shields_(tate).jpg (182 KB, 800x515) Image search: [Google]
Samurai_using_shields_(tate).jpg
182 KB, 800x515
>>44345528
Personal shields were a thing everywhere other than Japan, but then again, the Japanese apparently loved field fortifications so much that they carried them wherever they went.
>>
How about a barbarian tribesman who took the sword off of some wandering Jap he killed?
>>
>>44342553
I love this idea, so I'm gonna steal it.

>Ah is too a sammy-rye, an' I aims ta prove it wiff'n this here bushy-dough blade!
>>
>>44339096
>>44339341
I love this, and I might just steal this if you don't mind
>>
File: Myrmadon.png (349 KB, 624x1005) Image search: [Google]
Myrmadon.png
349 KB, 624x1005
>>44345510
>shown directly from above
It's not. Swords have an ovaloid shape to their grip and their profile when sheathed for the most part, and you can see that the artist has taken this into consideration with the highlights on the sword. The gaurd also is a bit of an oval shape, which you can see isn't straight edge on in the shot.

In the game Owain is from the same class as this guy, which is more or less the duelist class with a samurai theme. There ARE some curved katanas in-game they can use, but for whatever reason a lot of them are perfectly straight. I think they wanted to add in a katana-user class that didn't feel super exotic in a mostly european style fantasy setting.
>>
A dwarf fucks up making a sword and invents the katana by accident and is suprised by the fact it has a few merits of note. Doesn't adventure, but he likes his weird sword and will give it to the PCs if they help him with whatever adventure you have planned.
>>
>>44345130
If I remember the video right, she's happy because she and her two fellow students had been practising literally all day and well into the night and that was the first time any of them had cut it right.
>>
>>44342553

I like it. It reminds me of Kikuchiyo from Seven Samurai.
>>
>>44338751
That describes almost every elite warrior class. You don't get to be a rich-kill-dude without being down for killing lots of dudes. That's not to say they were all dicks but it is the sort of job that attracts and breeds really big dicks.
>>
>>44338404
Guy bought a katana after hearing stories about how good they were. Disappointed with the actual results he is determined to train with it until his abilities match those of the stories.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129 KB, 620x876) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129 KB, 620x876
>>
>>44345581
Reminder that we're talking fantasy settings, and not everything needs to be a 100% carbon copy.
>>
>>
>>44338404
Just a merc lookin to make a buck, but from not!Japan rather than not!England
>>
File: last_samurai_by_bowkl-d3a1w9n.jpg (547 KB, 800x986) Image search: [Google]
last_samurai_by_bowkl-d3a1w9n.jpg
547 KB, 800x986
>>44338404
>>
>>44338444
Trips of truth
>>
>>44342172
>i too autistic for humor

Okay.
>>
>>44346677
>Mighty Whitey
>>
>>44346717
Still a good show.
>>
>>44345482
>no massive amounts of overbloom and godrays from shitty ENB settings
>obviously higher res skins from vanilla, no 4k but its least 2k/highres
>fog still intact, unlike every other dipshit turning skyrim into a hyper-contrasted oblivion
>obviously a resized/compressed version of 1080p

No, son, his rig is just fine. Go back to gelbooru or /g/ and beat your dick about your high fidelity gaming experience. And this is coming from a guy with a $2400 rig.
>>
>>44346717
>Mighty Whitey
Oh please, how about you shut the fuck up?

There is a case of severe historical revisionism, and it has nothing to do with "mighty whitey". The revisionism is that the big American hero was, in reality, a Frenchman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Brunet

You appear to be a tumblrina, so it gives me great joy to use your own catchphrase against you: educate yourself, shitlord.
>>
>>44338404
Drunkard Samurai who fights for the children.
>>
>>44346902
>Drunkard Samurai who fights the children.
>>
>>44346932
>Drunkard Samurai children
>>
A short, mild-mannered warrior pilgrim garbed in purple cloth and many obscure trinkets.
While travelling through a land of tainted iron he found a style of sword and swordsmanship ideal common self-defence. The blade was long and sharp and looked eager to gut the tall and pompously under-dressed highwaymen that plagued his travels. The curve of the thing suited a manner of drawing which allowed for a quick strike which could be devastatingly surprising to those unfamiliar with it.

He found a monk who had once been a bodyguard. The man had fallen from his master's grace, turning to prayer and drink rather than the life of a bandit. For many months the monk trained the pilgrim in the local ways of combat in exchange for favours. By the lesson's end the pilgrim was confident in his ability and the nation had exchanged a melancholy monk for a returning samurai.

The pilgrim commissioned himself a long, curved blade made of mainland steel upon returning to the common kingdoms.
While he has many more objects of greater sentimental or spiritual value upon his person the sword is by far the most noticeable.
He pats it with a smile when dark strangers approach him on the path. His soft words encourage peace but there is always a guilty thrill when he is permitted to let loose the lightning at his side.
>>
>>44338404
Orc on a quest to master all weapons and decided to use a katana, as a joke.
>>
>>44345446
Technically, they're not truly samurai and fight people armed with more traditionally medieval weapons. A shield would be somewhat practical in that setting.
>>
Some random faggot who found a katana in the trash and is now on an adventure because it's a sentient weapon cursed to have to take people on adventures even though it actually hates adventure and just want's to be sitting up on a wall of a museum somewhere.
>>
>>44338512
Same can be said about knights and longswords, except with lances taking the place of bows. They call them sidearms for a reason.
>>
>>44345771

Please do.
>>
>>44338404
Ok.
Create any character.
Give him katana proficiency.
Make him stupid as fuck. Stupid people can't feel sad, feel pain for too long and are always happy, so he will never be an edgelord / brooding character.

There you go.

Was it worthit going to the extent of playing a shit character just to avoid a suppossedly-bad-archetype-because-this-meme-says-so?

Don't answer, i'll answer: no it wasn't.

Don't you have more important things to care about? Like picking the filth from your belly button, for example?
>>
>>44338404
Half Orc wanderer, on a spiritual journey he met with an old swordsman who uses a peculiar weapon and fighting style. Decides to learn from him and pick up his mantle.

pretty generic but eh i like it.
>>
>>44353483
just noticed
>>44346625
welp...
>>
Duelist turned fencing school teaher turned spymaster.

From his family his youth he grew up in a fencing school being taught how to fight with dueling blades for nobility who wants to settle disputes with a glorified sidearm. He preferred the katana since it presented an ideal medieval class of exclusitivity as no commoner is allowed to wield a katana.

He is initially a duelist. Travelling to duel on behalf of noble houses too poor to teach their kids how to fight properly but needed someone to fight on their behalf. Or taverns who needs someone to keep drunks down.

Became a schoolteacher after earnig enough rep and money to teach as a fulltime profession and later a spymaster who used his connections to know who is duwling whom
>>
>>44340054
Sounds like a One Punch Man character.
>>
>>44353877
kind of funny since in my head I did see sort of a saitama like personality. Except with an office suit and a sword. (still the same empty looking expression)

Though I also ended up imagining him as a shadowrun character.
>>
>>44341335
Thats pretty damn cool actually, occasionally the spirit will teach the farm hand proper technique so he can one day fight on his own.
>>
He's a Samurai in a setting that has Samurai in it.

Fucking DONE.
>>
>>44339887
Actively tries to be dark and brooding so much that he ends up utterly hilarious, 10/10 would play with and indulge.
>>
>>
File: utopia dystopia.jpg (66 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
utopia dystopia.jpg
66 KB, 500x390
Empathy.

Having the empathy to see other people's emotions and help them out is the antithesis to edginess. I could play as some silent half-demon swordsman who's whole clan was killed, but as long as he has the empathy to sense troubled emotions in others and is willing to reach out to them, he won't come out as edgy.

If he's humble, too, then that's even more of a plus.
>>
>>44346950
>drunken children who fight samurai
>>
>>44338404
>character is a duelist
>carries on him 5 weapons and a targe
>one rapier for piercing
>Katana for slashing
>mace for blunt
>falchion for chopping
>Poignard for utility
He has mastered a different and appropriate fighting style for each of his weapon in accordance to who he's fighting
Uses the katana against lightly armored enemies using a technique that relies on drawing as many wounds on the enemy to bleed him out while staying at a distance.

Uses the mace against heavy armor, using a technique to attac and lock the joints to try to slow down then knock them down to finish them off with the knife

Uses the rapier against other fencers and rapier user as a sign of respect for the art of fencing, but tries to attack the legs and neck to pierce a major artery

Falchion is for anything else in between that isn't within another weapon's speciality and when the character is fighting someone he has no respect for and wants to fight dirty and underhanded
>>
>>44339850
The darker shades and shadows in this image is spreading through my mobile.

Am I missing something here?
>>
File: dororo-l1.jpg (17 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
dororo-l1.jpg
17 KB, 225x300
Hyakkimaru.
Voiced by my favorite Jap VA ever.
>>
>>44341015
>it's edgier
>yeah, it's less edgy though

Fucking actually what?
>>
>>44353410
Edgelord detected.
>>
>>44341590
You mean Ken-Yachiru is gonna be something similar to Stark-Lilynette?
>>
>>44346150
The dedication in those Jap girls. I think I would have given up.
>>
>>44344639
>>44344521
>Temple is attacked by barbarians
>The temple's guardian spirit posseses the body of a wounded priestess so that she won't die.
>Now they have to race against time to retrieve the mcguffin that will heal her wound.
>Hilarity ensues because he's a drunkard womanizer and she's an ascetic prude.

There.
>>
>>44338404
Some guy who is trying to find out which type of sword is more suitable for him through dual wielding.
>>
>>44345415
"Katana" [刀] specifically refers to a single edged sword, and one over ~2 feet in length, as anything shorter would be considered a shotou or tantou. "Tou" [刀] is the general reading of that kanji in compound words and that's the one that gets used a little more liberally to means "sword." Even so, "Ken"[剣] is used to refer to swords generally (the Ken in Kendo), but typically if it is brought up in juxtaposition with "katana" it denotes a double edged sword. "Tsurugi" [剣] is an alternate reading to Ken but specifically used to refer to the chinese jian and similarly derived swords from early Japanese history. "Yaiba" [刃] is the only real general purpose word for "sword" but it's also archaic and now only used as a component of compound words.
>>
>>44344521
>>44344462
It could be possesed by the spirit of a legendarily cowardice swordsman. His will to live so strong that he never failed to flee from a losing fight, honor be damned. Considered a laughing stock and forced to beg for work and then drafted right into front lines with the bamboo yari peasants. Actually a fairly decent swordsman all things considered, just not willing to die for others. When he's finally struck down, it's not even in a proper battle. His spirit is bound to this world through his sword, doomed to be carried into battle after battle, and his spirit compelled to continue running forever.
>>
>>44346851
>Oh please, how about you shut the fuck up?
If this wasn't a running thing in Hollywood for the past 70+ years, I'd agree.
But it is, and you are just butthurt that the shit got called what it is.
>Last Nigga on Earth, starring Tom Hanks
>>
>>44358748
>his spirit ran so far that the sword isn't even in the Japan-analog anymore
love it
>>
>>44358754
>This film is a dumb racist cliche
>Actually it's based on historical events
>Yeah, well, other films made it a racist cliche!
You're making an idiot of yourself
>>
>"I won it from a gambling bet, why not learn how to use it?"
>>
>>44358178
It's like a buddy cop film except that one of the cops is a ghost that's possessing the other.
>>
File: 2342.jpg (17 KB, 473x333) Image search: [Google]
2342.jpg
17 KB, 473x333
>>44346677
That movie confused me so much.

Why weren't the Rebels using guns like literally everyone in Japan had been since 1610?

Why weren't they using the shiny new British and Russian rifles that Saigo Takamori had organized for them?

Why weren't they using their artillery? That they happened to have around 60 pieces of.

Why were they still wearing samurai armor instead of their cool kimono-western uniform with funny helmet hybrid and French-style officer uniforms?

Where the fuck were all the French people?
>>
>>44358975
I was hoping for the white character to kill himself in the end. Would've made me laugh to no end.
>>
>>44339887
Owain is like, a nega-edgelord. His chu2 is just as stronk, but it's justice-white.
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.