[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a GM with a guy in my group who doesn't seem to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: immafirinmahlazer.jpg (16 KB, 576x389) Image search: [Google]
immafirinmahlazer.jpg
16 KB, 576x389
I'm a GM with a guy in my group who doesn't seem to understand the rules. While me and other players at the table are more than happy to teach and help, it's obvious that he's depending purely on our tutoring and never bothers to read the book for himself between sessions. I've already talked to him about this on several occasions and he keeps reassuring me that he will, but sure enough when he shows up we have to re-educate him on the most basic shit.

I'm really tempted to "lay into him" now. That is: Punish him for being such a fucking idiot. I don't want to make things blatantly unfair (like a big dragon that concentrates only on him) but put him against against things that all the other players with decent knowledge of the rules will be able to handle, but will knock this particular guy flat on his ass.

Good idea or bad idea?
>>
File: Cestreeunsure.jpg (49 KB, 178x276) Image search: [Google]
Cestreeunsure.jpg
49 KB, 178x276
That sounds a bit harsh and rather passive aggressive.

Some people simply have a hard time learning games, especially when it comes to things like learning from books. If he's a good member of your group otherwise, having patience and helping him along is the nice and mature thing to do, even if it's difficult and not as immediately satisfying.

Maybe he just needs a cheat sheet? Just a page that contains the basic info he needs, like attack options during a turn or what different abilities do, to serve as a quick reminder in case he forgets. You can put one together, or you can ask him to put together one not just for himself, but the rest of the group so everyone has a quick reference sheet.
>>
>>44335516
>Some people simply have a hard time learning games, especially when it comes to things like learning from books

Then they shouldn't be playing table top RPGs. Computer RPGs would be more their speed.
>>
>>44334934
Kill him. Not the PC, the player. Let his death serve as an example to others. Once per session, defile his corpse in front of the others. Make them understand that each player is responsible for learning the rules.

Or, work with him on them. Either is fine.
>>
>>44335571
Different people, different skill sets.

Some people are bad at math. Some have trouble remembering character and place names. Some can't really act.

But, they might bring other skills to the table, like a good sense of humor, a strong imagination, or even just an amiable disposition. I'd hate to think that anyone with a genuine interest to play tabletop games wouldn't be able to find their place at the table.
>>
>>44335516
>Some people simply have a hard time learning games, especially when it comes to things like learning from books.
What, like legitimately retarded people?
>>
File: 0% Mad.jpg (82 KB, 640x718) Image search: [Google]
0% Mad.jpg
82 KB, 640x718
>>44335516
/thread in one post. For once, /tg/ is actually pretty cool. Good on you, bro.
>>
>>44336318
>Different people, different skill sets.
Bullshit. Bull fucking shit. If you can't pick up a rulebook and learn a system like everyone else at the table then you don't deserve to be at the table.

RPGs aren't rocket science. If you can pass Ameridumb highschool, you should be capable of learning an RPG system. If you can't, you're either just being a lazy shit or have actual brain problems and should seek help.
>>
Making it more clear that he needs to learn the rules via something in-game is fine. Having a monster focus on him is too obtuse though, and he probably won't notice.
>>
File: Problem Player Wat Do.png (88 KB, 1557x563) Image search: [Google]
Problem Player Wat Do.png
88 KB, 1557x563
Bad idea.

He's had his chance. Just tell him to leave.
>>
>>44335571
>>44336431
sounds like youve read how to lose friends and alienate people
nerds picking on nerds
disgusting
>>
>>44335571
Sorry man but now you just sound like a bit of an elitist prick.
>>
>>44334934
Make him a crib sheet, holy shit. Don't be a dick.
I mean, there's even some already existing sheets out there.

If he can't use a sheet then, yeah, he shouldn't be playing. Otherwise, just give him an easy resource. It's an annoying kind of player, but it's also kind of your obligation as a DM since you've brought him into the group.
>>
>>44334934
What system is it? Does he have easy access to the reference material? You kinda left a lot out that was important. How much of a rules lawyer type of group is it?
>>
>>44337432
>What system is it?
Pathfinder

>Does he have easy access to the reference material?
He's downloaded all the books - I know that much

>You kinda left a lot out that was important. How much of a rules lawyer type of group is it?
Not very much at all. In fact I fudge rules all the time. But this guy frequently forgets or doesn't know basic stuff all the time.
>>
>>44335516
Depending on the particulars, this may be the case.

OP seems convinced that the guy just isn't bothering to put in any effort, in which case the guy should probably just stop playing because he's probably just there to hang out with the group.
>>
>>44334934
Don't be harsh about this. Some people have a hard time reading rulebooks or retaining rules information. People think and learn differently.

And anyway, as long as he's not a dick about it, just try to get him into character and tell him what to roll and it can all work out. Only 1 player in my current group has read more than a small section of the rules and it's fine. They learn over time.

I don't know how you are teaching him, but rather than trying to explain all the rules, maybe just focus on the very specific case at hand.
>>
>>44337546
>using pathfinder
>fudges rules all the time
I don't blame the guy for being confused, D&D 3.75 is a badly written and balanced game. You straying from the rules probably doesn't help.
>>
>>44338385
By "fudge" I don't mean "change". I mean "ignore" - and ironically enough I mostly do that either to speed things along or for this guy's benefit since he doesn't know the rules in the first place.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.