[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Total Warhammer info about how campaigns and factions occupation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11
File: VCCampaign.jpg (358 KB, 1074x938) Image search: [Google]
VCCampaign.jpg
358 KB, 1074x938
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Regional_Occupation_Blog

>Similarly, the Empire have never sent an army to Karak Kadrin, besieged it and then occupied it. It just doesn’t make sense for a population of humans to occupy a massive fortress deep under the ground. It would just feel wrong. The lore is, however, full of instances where one race or another besieges and smashes a city to bits – or even razes it to the ground. This is what happens when a massive Greenskin Waaagh! plunges deep into Empire territory. The Greenskins don’t occupy Altdorf and immediately start managing and taxing the local human populace. It just doesn’t feel right or true to the lore in any way. Races choosing to inhabit only specific kinds of habitat reinforces the authentic feel of the WH races. Whichever race you choose to play as has a genuinely different feel and mix of choices to make. If you play as Greenskins, you will contest ownership of the Holds within the mountains and the Badlands whilst raiding the human settlements to bolster your coffers and level up your Heroes. The difference in choice of occupiable settlements goes a long way to ensuring that playing as any given race provides a unique and interesting set of strategic challenges and gameplay. If everyone could capture everything, this wouldn’t be the case.

Tl;dr every city can't be occupied by a faction. Orks can't tax and hold Altdorf etc etc
>>
>>44886473
Pity, the idea of Orc tax collectors is a good one. Just some big orc going around punching gits in the face and then making them fill out a census.
>>
>>44886473
I appreciate what they're trying to do, whether or not it proves to be a good mechanic we'll have to wait and see.
>>
>>44886473
This is garbage.

No, the orcs wouldn't tax humans. yes, however, they would conquer that land, tear down the fortifications and turn it into orc territory.

Likewise, humans could conquer orc land and civilise it, building cities and driving the threat of greenskins away for good.

Having human populations entirely displace dwarf populations in their holds is unlikely, granted - but in that case it's less ridiculous for them to tax the indigenous dwarfs.

And it's TOTAL WAR. I want to conquer, not dick around raiding and pillaging like some degenerate barbarian.
>>
>>44887345
This makes the most sense, have the conquer mechanic either take over as-is (letting you build units of that race) or replace the settlement completely (turning an Orc fortress into a human town).
>>
>>44887345
>I want to conquer, not dick around raiding and pillaging like some degenerate barbarian.
Then don't play as the degenerate barbarian factions?
>>
>>44887463
Which ones? The dwarves, who aren't allowed to conquer human settlements?
>>
File: 1362102775339.jpg (36 KB, 411x321) Image search: [Google]
1362102775339.jpg
36 KB, 411x321
>>44887345
>No, the orcs wouldn't tax humans. yes, however, they would conquer that land, tear down the fortifications and turn it into orc territory.

This is what I thought. Sure, maybe captured cities in other territories shouldn't be the same - like in the Badlands humans would set up colonies and border forts instead of just make a city as if nothing was wrong with the place - but in general it should be the traditional format of conquest in the Total War franchise.

All this does is railroad you into not only playing a specific way, but only ever conquering certain territories and going to war with certain factions. Why would humans ever go to war with the dwarves if we cannot take their cities? You could make the argument you'd go to war to raid the cities, but given how Total War AI usually behaviors, all you'd do is make an enemy for life and gain out of it maybe like 3000 gold max. I don't think I've ever raided a city and got more than 4k out of it.
>>
I for one like this idea.

But I also really enjoyed Empire, since it gave me a lot more opportunities for naval battles even if they weren't as detailed as Napoleon's naval battles. The land battles were all shit anyway.
>>
File: RegionTypes2.jpg (484 KB, 1000x871) Image search: [Google]
RegionTypes2.jpg
484 KB, 1000x871
Later on in the game, you will still be able to occupy and manage a great many regions, regardless of who you play as. Also, with the additional of the new global recruitment feature, armies from all races can now operate deep behind enemy lines if they choose. The Badlands and the World’s Edge mountains can become cash-cows where your armies raid and sack for income. Alternatively, you can choose to raze these areas to the ground and minimise any future threat. There are still a great many gameplay options around these areas. The cash generated here may well be crucial if you are to afford high-end buildings like the Colleges of Magic in Altdorf. Without being able to simply occupy these areas and move on, you will find yourself presented with a more focussed and varied set of gameplay choices.

Lastly, here’s a shot of the current Campaign map with regions coloured according to which races and factions can own them as follows: The black and green shaded areas in the north are Norsca, the blue indicates the mountains and Badlands with Holds that Greenskins and Dwarfs can own, and the white areas are regions that all the other races and factions find hospitable.
>>
>>44888054
Trash. Release a complete total war game or not at all.
>>
>>44887345
>not dick around raiding and pillaging like some degenerate barbarian.

Dude that's literally orcs.
>>
>>44888124
So Orcs are the only faction in this game? Are we paying for Total War: Orc Simulator?
>>
>>44888145
Orcs and Dwarves are the only factions that are playable on day 1.

Empire, Chaos, and Vampire Counts are DLC. Lizardmen, Skaven, Elves, and Dark Elves are in the first expansion. Second Expansion is probably Araby, Tomb Kings, and MAYBE Cathay.
>>
File: Nick621159492806246400.png (204 KB, 400x344) Image search: [Google]
Nick621159492806246400.png
204 KB, 400x344
Wait if the faction specific conquering system is supported by the setting what's the problem?

>>44888558
>Empire, Chaos, and Vampire Counts are DLC. Lizardmen, Skaven, Elves, and Dark Elves are in the first expansion
>Empire an expansion pack
Uhhhhh
>>
>>44888648
>Wait if the faction specific conquering system is supported by the setting what's the problem?

First of all, why would ANY FACTION give a shit about what's living in an area if they are capable of killing everything living there and put their own settlement there?

Second of all, in previous games, we conquer pretty much anywhere on the map with any faction. Some factions got bonuses for fighting within their region and there were always penalty to converting a city to your culture, but if you wanted Scotland to invade Egypt in Medieval 2, you easily could. Ditto with having Rome conquer Russia or Germania conquering the Balkans and Asia Minor.

But this game is the equivalent of saying that Rome cannot take any territory over the Rhine because scary Germanic tribes live there.
>>
Why the fuck wouldn't orcs occupy the territory?

Relegating everything to being shitty "RAids" feels toothless as hell.
>>
>>44886473
Thank you, GW. You were not content with ruining your own franchises, you had to ruin TW too.
>>
File: MtBrV.jpg (100 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
MtBrV.jpg
100 KB, 500x715
>>44888878
Idunno man makes sense to me I stopped looking at it as a total war game where it'd let you do all of that (and chances are slim Most people do) and look at it like a Warhammer game first then Total War second idunno

And what team is working on this? A previous one or is it one from scratch?
>>
>>44888996
>look at it like a Warhammer game first.
Look at it as a shitty game more like.
>>
>>44888996
>look at it like a Warhammer game first

You cannot really make that argument when a Warhammer mod for Medieval 2 already exists and is looking to be much better than the official game.

ALSO, I DUNNO, MAYBE IT SHOULDN'T BE A TOTAL WAR GAME IF IT'S GOING TO FUCKING RAILROAD
>>
>>44888648
He's an idiot.
Empire, Greenskins, Dorfs and Vampire Counts are the starting races. You get Warriors of Chaos if you preorder.
No word on lizards, elfs or rats just yet.
No Tomb Kings ever.
>>
File: 1449042526834.png (238 KB, 425x539) Image search: [Google]
1449042526834.png
238 KB, 425x539
Ummm wasn't Shadow of the horned rat and mark of chaos technically railroad then?
>>
>>44889387
Meant to link to

>>44889262
>>44889087
>>
>>44889314
they said they'd be doing all the major races plus one extra
>>
>>44889387
Neither were Total War games.

This is like having a Fallout game with Call of Duty style corridor shooters.
>>
>>44889432
>one extra
Que¿
>>
>>44889482
It's not forcing you do play it in a hallway.
It's just forcing a new choice system other than the usual "expand muh bubble" that was the standard way of thinking in the early TW games.
You just sound really fucking salty.
>>
>>44889543
You're supporting limiting player choices.

You're retarded.
>>
>>44889543
And you sound like someone paid to post favourable opinions of a game that looks more and more questionable the more we hear about it.

Shady DLC practices, pigeonholing player gameplay, restricting options and feature reduction are not good things.
>>
>>44889543
Stuff like :"I rather just have a small kingdom than just streamrolling thorugh the whole map"......what would stop those players from doing that if we still had the option of doing literally what we want?
People who say that are literally just saying "my way to play is the only one thats fun, everyone else should only play as I like to play". That is so selfish, its insane.

As it stands, theres no reason to invade non-nemesis factions other than "I forgot I could play custom battles in this game" or the always derpy "if I cant have it, nobody can" razing bullcrap that some people are even praising.
"Loot"? I can get it fighting armies from my "nemesis" faction. Very likely to be easier aswell.
"Profit"? Yeah, right, global recruitment costs more money and takes more time than normal recruitment and you cant claim lands so no bonuses from conquering like taxing, farming, trading...nothing. Nothing worth wasting time and resources for. Only cash you get by doing this comes from battles and raiding (if you can even do those without it costing as much as it took to defeat the army/city, what with the cost of the army upkeep itself and cost to reinforce it).
>>
>>44889582
>muh sandbox!
Stay salty, kiddo.
>>
>>44889582
>>44889599
>>44889604
So don't buy the shit game. That simple.
No one's forcing you sit around the internet getting mad over it.
>>
>>44889607
Is that all you got?
The only reason to even think about useless invasions like that is those quests to unlock simple stats(since the LL already have the fully upgraded model anyway)/mounts/spells. This if they are even in places that dont belong to your nemesis faction.
And even those WILL be boring after a while. I mean, does anybody actually play historical battles over and over and over again while still finding them incredibly fun? This and the fact it is all just artificial. There is no choice on what you want to do. If you want to get more powerful, better start attacking that nemesis faction and start rushing that quest in random point Zeta as soon as you get a strong enough expendable army
>>
It is even worse when people try to use "realism" as an excuse for this design choice limiting us from doing whatever the hell we want to do.....it is a freaking world with ghosts, trolls, Gods, magic, flying horses, female daemons with crab hands and an uneven number of breasts and humanoid rats that shoot heavy machineguns at their own humanoid rat slaves if they can shoot at least 1 or 2 soldiers down.
Its not realistic having humans living in a desert on crack? The whole world is on crack, people
And the Lore excuse that people use so greenskins and the other factions cant expand wherever they want...pffff.
Are we forgetting about Grom the Paunch? Just an example, really.
I cant conquer human cities with the Greenskins even though they have done so in the lore.
How about the fact dwarfs are so few in numbers that they cant even fill the fortresses they havent lost yet. But suddenly, the lore can be ignored and they have enough people to expand to the badlands and the rest of the mountains and have huge battles with insane losses without much of a cataclysmic effect on their race...
Are we going to ignore the Lahmians too?
CA and people who defend this limiting "lore" excuse are so random in its defense its hilarious
>>
>>44889628
>So don't buy the shit game.
I won't. I have other warhammer games to be perfectly happy with.

I'm not mad. Just disappointed that they've let the potential this project had fall to pieces in the name of shady corporatism and corner-cutting.
>>
>>44889604
>>44889637
>>44889668
>Rekt.
>>
Every time new information about this game gets released my expectations for it go down, it's solid anti-hype.

Is there any hope the multiplayer will at least be worthwhile? Or can we expect the same old bollocks of people playing only on perfectly flat maps with no terrain and there being zero point using half the units in the game because they're not competitive enough to even be worth looking at outside of a campaign enviroment?
>>
>>44889892
>Is there any hope the multiplayer will at least be worthwhile?
Sadly not.
>>
>>44889892
Unfortunately ever since the release of Rome Total War and the change to that new engine they've been unable to handle collisions properly so the flat ground has become a necessity.
>>
>>44888054

>only Chaos Wastes
>no Kislev

Well fuck you too then.
>>
Bamp
>>
File: 1444952108559.png (150 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1444952108559.png
150 KB, 800x800
>>44890627
Kislev is the Oblasts you fuckin pleb
>>
>>44886536
>"WUTS YUH REELIGON?!"
>"....S-sigm-*CRUMP*"
>"YUR DED ORKY NOW"
>>
>>44889432
>>44889529

FISHMEN FINALLY MAKING THEIR DEBUT
>>
>orcs dont tax humans
well no but they dont tax eachother either, do they? they just gather the boyz and get choppin' with self made weapons.

if you think too much about this kind of thing and the logistics behind the you soon realize settings like warhammer and LOTR dont make much sense and the important part is provide a decent fucking framework for your game.
>>
>>44886473
An elegant way to solve this would merely have the original population of the settlement being enslaved or killed/fleeing.
>>
>>44894892

Do Orcs use teef as currency?

Because I can really get behind an Orc taxman going around punching in people's teeth and collecting them in a big bag.
>>
>>44894974
>KNOCK KNOCK
>H-hello, who's th-
>FANKS FER DA TEEF, HUMIE! SEE YA NEXT TAX YEAR
>>
>>44895013
>DIS WUNS GOT NO TEEF BOSS, WADDA WE DO?

I wanted to make some sort of joke for this, but what WOULD an Orc Taxman do if he met an old guy with no teeth? Take his dentures? What if he had no dentures?
>>
>>44895013
wouldnt the city's population eventually run out of teeth to punch out?
>>
>>44895051
His children should compensate for it.
>>
>>44895066
>>44895069

That's just it.

A decent currency needs three things:

1. It needs to be divisible.
2. It needs to be scarce.
3. It needs to be enduring.

This is why gold has lasted as a currency for so long, it satisfies all three conditions perfectly.

Teeth can certainly last. Divisible as a bit of an eh - maybe different types of teeth are valued differently. But are teeth scarce enough to make them worthwhile as a currency?
>>
>>44895152
Teef are valued by size.

So da biggest teef belong to da biggest orcs, and dere teef ain't goin' no place.
>>
>>44895212

I'm beginning to seriously question the economic stability of the Orc society.
>>
>>44895220
>>
>>44895152
>different types of teeth are valued differently.

Bigger teef are worth more.

>But are teeth scarce enough

Their teef rot away pretty fast for chunks of bone, actually, so currency is constantly being cycled out.

It works well enough for orcs - because bigger teef are worth more and teef rot away over time, a wealthy orc can't just hoard money, it has to fight constantly and beat the biggest stuff it can to maintain it's wealth. It's more thought than I expected them to put into it.
>>
>>44895392
>Their teef rot away pretty fast for chunks of bone

I wonder why that would be?

Wait...

Orcs have the ability to make things work through force of will, the same way that Orks do...

..D-do...do they make their teef rot faster so their economy not only works but also supports a state of constant warfare?
>>
>>44889599
It's a fantasy setting with a bunch of batshit unrealistic fantasy factions. Putting proper limitations on what these factions would do is the only right thing to do. If they were making a Forgotten Realms TW they would not let drow fight and occupy aboveground like aboveground factions could. Sure, that limits player options. It is also the only non-shit way of doing it. As for how profitable it would be to raid non-nemesis factions, is a matter of game balance, which you know nothing about. As for ypur "hurr anyone who disagrees is a viral marketeer", you can stuff that up your ass next to the stick already there,and then head back to /v/ where you can complain about stupid shit with the rest of the retards.
>>
>>44889087
This plus a paywall.
>>
>>44886473
Seriously, this does seem somewhat logical.
Certain races just aren't in the whole "build stuff business and certain habitats don't work for everyone.
As long as they don't get too restrictive, I don't see a problem.
>>
>>44895447
Nah, they just have a sweet tooth. The most respected job in greenskin society isn't the fighter, it's the patisserie baker.
>>
>>44896259
Being a caricature of Northern London football hooligans, wouldn't Orc diet consist squarely off of grease pies, chips, barely fermented cider and Codeine cough syrup?
>>
>>44889432
They are doing all the major races.
However, they are doing them through DLC as well as through two other massive expansion packs,

The expansion packs will also function as standalone games, but, if you own multiple ones, you can choose to play a massive campaign were the content you own gets mashed together into a single campaign, in the end, all of the world of war hammer will be available.
>>
>>44896501
As long as that can all be had in squig and mushroom form, yes.
>>
>>44895658
It's a total war game you HAVE to be able to conquer everything silly
>>
>>44896989
You really don't
Besides, you can always go the Roman/Asyrian route of burning everything down and declaring pacification.
IMO more fitting than the Empire colonizing the Skaven tunnels.
>>
>>44896618
>all of the world of war hammer

All of the Old World, maybe, but if GW gives CA carte blanche to write lore for Cathay and shit I'll eat my hat.
>>
>>44889432
>plus one extra
sigmarines
>>
>>44895658
>be ork
>massacare the human population
>spawn more orks

>be chaos
>slaughter loyalist population
>spawn more heretics

>be Empire
>slaughter heretics and abominations
>breed like rats

honestly they dont have to keep the place the way it was, but these things tend to be built in strategic locations. Giving the option to raid or raze the place and rebuild a city after razing it would be nice.
There's no need to raze dwarven holds, but you might want to burn down that Orc "fortress"
>>
>>44897231
that'd be nice if it wasnt a Total War game. People want Total War in a warhammer coat. They dont want limitations that dont fit Total War just cause it "doesnt really" fit Warhammer
>>
ITT: Buttmad ork players that don't realize they have zero need to ever conquer human cities, because you generate reinforcements WHILE CAMPAIGNING by turning one of your armies into 'pillage mode' where you collecting teef and gitz passively.

Why the fuck should greenskins stop and try to run an Imperial town instead of just keep crumping? You ain't orky if you wanna stop fighting. Gotta keep that Waaagh going!
>>
>>44897587
And it looks like that's what we're getting, just not in every region on the map.

>>44897598
>People want Total War in a warhammer coat. They dont want limitations that dont fit Total War just cause it "doesnt really" fit Warhammer
People want to bitch about GW and CA becaue they're entitled twats.
If the game came out tomorrow with every race playable at launch, they'd still bitch about cav charges not being as gaood as in Med 2.
>>
>>44897759
>entitled
dropped

also, you mean self-entitled, just entitled means they deserve what they are asking for. which considering theyre the fanbase that allowed TW to flourish to begin with, they fucking are.
>>
>>44897745
Because total war players hate deviance
>>
>>44897768
>also, you mean self-entitled, just entitled means they deserve what they are asking for.
Yeah, thats what I meant. Sorry about that.

>which considering theyre the fanbase that allowed TW to flourish to begin with, they fucking are.
And no.
You're free to buy it or leave it be. But they don't owe you anything, just because you spent money on their products in the past.
>>
>>44898222
they only even got to this point thanks to the support of their patrons, they owe it to them to continue a franchise along the lines as what that fanbase wants.
Its fine if they want to make other games but they shouldnt carry the same name.

this is exactly why people were so pissed off about DoW II, it isnt inheritly a bad game but people were angry cause it wasnt anything like DoW I which is what they wanted. And DoW II only ever got made cause of the original patrons.
>>
File: not how it works.png (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
not how it works.png
77 KB, 500x500
>>44898265
>they only even got to this point thanks to the support of their patrons, they owe it to them to continue a franchise along the lines as what that fanbase wants.
No they don't. If this was a crowdfunded campaign that promised certain things, you might have a point, but as it is it's THEIR project, funded with THEIR money.

By any means, don't buy it, but stop whining like CA stole your prom date.
>>
>>44898466
Warhammer Total War was funded by the profits made of the previous title. they have obligations to their consumers to meet or risk alienating it. It isnt morally right either to abandon a fanbase that built you up in persuit of fat dosh which is something CA hasnt quite done yet. But if the previous Total War titles are an indicator they are only going to sell out more.
>>
>>44898496
They don't have any obligations whatsoever and morality doesn't enter into it unless they're completely untruthful about the game they are making.
>>
File: throw back & laugh.gif (2 MB, 390x271) Image search: [Google]
throw back & laugh.gif
2 MB, 390x271
>>44898496
>they have obligations to their consumers
That's not what that word means
>>44898496
>It isnt morally right either to abandon a fanbase that built you up in persuit of fat dosh
Unless they sold their previous title with the promise that the profits would go toward a certain version of Total Warhammer that they now are not going to deliver, morality does not play into it.
>>
File: 1405259817087.jpg (165 KB, 375x1050) Image search: [Google]
1405259817087.jpg
165 KB, 375x1050
>>44897574
>not Chaos Dwarfs
>>
>>44889432
Kislevites?
>>
>>44894769
Good hunter pls go
>>
>>44902826
>Marius Leitdorf pls go

Fixed that for you, squirt.

>>44897356

Why shouldn't they? Do you think GW is going to continue producing material for the Warhammer World?
>>
>>44888558
oh fuck off, really? Orcs and dorfs so boring, but you know, make everything else DLC. Fucking merchant.
>>
>>44904650
He was wrong it's vamps, orcs, empire, and dorfs at launch
>>
>>44905288
Stop lying, shill.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-20-19-11-49.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-20-19-11-49.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>44905396
>>44904650
I'd crop the image but I'm too lazy to right now
It's at the top tho

Spreading false information is bad mmmkay?

Cause Knowledge is half the battle!
The other half is excessive violence
>>
>>44886473
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ N O O N E C A R E S W H E N U R W A T C H I N G ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.