[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make good Soulslike NPCs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: eileen.jpg (49 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
eileen.jpg
49 KB, 640x360
The Souls game series has some of the most enjoyable NPCs I've ever encountered in a video game, and I'm wondering if its possible to make similar original NPCs for a setting.

So what is it /tg/? What makes these lonesome people so likable, or at the very least, so memorable? How does one transcribe this to a tabletop RPG?
>>
A general rule for what makes a lot of Souls stuff work.

Show, don't tell. How does this work in vocal/written narrative? I'd wager having evidence of the NPC's deeds being shown when they're not there.

A Dragonslayer walks among us? Distant sounds of conflict, scales seemingly strewn about, stuff like that.
>>
>>44333049
Showing rather than telling is important, but shaping an atmosphere of loneliness and mystery is key to creating NPCs like this, even moreso than the behavior and deeds of the NPCs themselves.

The likes of Laurentius and Solaire are memorable because the world is so lonesome. At times, it seems like they are the only ones who actually care about you, and when their own storylines are elucidated in whole, you're forced to weigh their opportunity to attempt to achieve their own happiness and fulfillment against how much you like having them around to talk to and help you. They're relatable in a lonely world; you feel for them, and your own ambition forces you to make impossible choices on their behalf.

As stated, suspense and mystery are also important. When Ciaran appears after you defeat Artorias, you see her kneeling there and wonder who she is, whether she is trustworthy, and if she is friend or foe. When Priscilla tells you that "this land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind", you raise an eyebrow because you were getting buttfucked by wheel-skeletons about ten minutes ago, and you dig through item descriptions and look at what's going on with the Doll and the Painted World to wonder why. Even though Lautrec seems untrustworthy, you don't have a clue that he's about to dick you unless you go back to the Firelink Shrine after every major event and chat with him. You have to get into the world and seek it out; thus, it's important to first try and create a world that your players can get into.
>>
>>44333109
>>44333512
That's actually some pretty good advice. I'm going to have to get to work on that.
>>
Another thing I've noticed: the non-enemy NPCs are few and far between. This makes them stand out, because there are only ever a handful of characters with names and personalities. Perhaps run a survival-type game where the majority of your enemies are monsters and the like, and other survivors only pop up every so often.
>>
>>44333049
>soulslike
>good
>>
File: baitzerk.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
baitzerk.jpg
209 KB, 756x1100
>>44338205
>>
They aren't actually likeable. They are without exception cackling insane asshole. The world is just so lonely and brutal that you cling desperately to anyone who doesn't stab you on sight in the hopes that maybe they can rationalise anything you've seen or provide help. To the point that even people like Lautrec who is basically a Rocky and Bullwinkle villain in personality seems personable enough to save compared to the "peaceful and kind" inhabitants that have been shivving you up until now.
>>
>>44333049
The good ones are all flawed people, who lose themselves to some basic, human element of their personality.

Then there's the unabashedly evil ones who are dicks, but pull it off in a manner that is enjoyable, and is in line with the theme of the setting.
>>
>>44333049

You know, I've always known exactly why Plague doctor masks were made the way they were, but only now do I realize exactly what it means in the context of a "Hunter of Hunters"

I mean, shit, Gehrman comes slightly after you first meet her, and he is relying solely on scent, like the fucking Werewolf/Beastman he is on the verge of becoming, same with the Cannibal, and even Djura has his eyes covered and relying on his hearing and scent.
>>
>>44339399
Pretty much. I think it even says as much in the item's description, that the scented stuff in the beak numb the smell of blood and help resist the urges.
>>
>>44339424

I...I don't believe I ever bothered to read the description on her set, a grievous oversight.

My, I must look the fool.
>>
>>44339438
>"Wood-carved mask of Eileen the Crow, Hunter of Hunters. The beak contains incense to mask scents of blood and beast."

A minor note that it literally says it contains incense, which is the stuff the Yarnhamites leave in front of their door to ward off beasts.
>>
File: TFS_5-_Vegeta_kills_bugs_dead.jpg (69 KB, 480x266) Image search: [Google]
TFS_5-_Vegeta_kills_bugs_dead.jpg
69 KB, 480x266
>>44333049
Not trying to disparage the question, as its a good question, but did this topic need two simultaneous threads?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.