[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best cheese for an Adventurer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 19
File: 2015-08-20-Cheese.jpg (23 KB, 509x269) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-20-Cheese.jpg
23 KB, 509x269
What is the best cheese for an Adventurer?
>>
Book of Exalted Deeds
>>
Anything with a thick, waxed rind. Probably something dry that can travel well. I wouldn't be able to tell you a specific variety, but my dad's been a chef for 30+ years and could help you out.

Unfortunately he doesn't browse Malaysian flipbook forums like this and can't help you.

So I'm gonna say a dry variety of cheese with a thick, waxed rind.
>>
>>44322699
Parmesan.
The roman legions depended on it and they had one of the best fed armies of antiquity and the middle ages.
>>
>>44322731
>the worst book printed in 3.5

He said best, not the absolute bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>44322801
It's pretty good cheese tho.
>>
Edam would probably be pretty good
>>
>>44322699
Havarti with Lutefisk with Merlot to wash it down.
>>
>>44322743
>thick waxed rind

So stilton would work well, then?

I'm not sure you'd want to eat Stilton in bulk, though, as a sandwich filling or anything.
>>
>>44322699
Parmesan. Put a little on everything to make it palatable. Stab a fucker with a wedge. Use a wheel as a shield.
>>
Parmesan or Swiss since they are calorie dense and can be turned into products that last longer than most food.
>>
>>44322743
Something brined would probably also keep pretty well, though it would be more of a pain to store.A salty cheese in general will keep better, though.Smoking it would also be a pretty good preservative measure. So a dry, salty, smoked cheese with a thick rind.
>>
>>44323800
Well any adventurers worth their salt will have pack mules/ Bags of Holding for their supplies. Only idiots try to carry everything on their person. So assume storage isn't that much of an issue.
>>
>>44323921
I wouldn't assume that storage isn't an issue.

I expect that in a lot of settings, bags of holding or analogues don't exist or are rare. Pack mules are all very well in a grassy, open area; but they aren't much use inside a cramped dungeon. Not mention that the mules would need to drink water as well as graze on the grass / eat hay.
>>
>>44323989

True, Possibly hirelings/squires to haul about the extra materials that the beasts of burden cant handle.
>>
>>44322768
Wut? I can find literally nothing to suggest Parmesan cheese dates back to Roman times. Also, the Roman legions did not exist in the middle ages, idiot.

Anyway, I'd recommend against parmesan. Personally I don't think it tastes very good on it's own. Most adventures aren't Dungeon Meshi- you need a cheese that can be turned into a satisfying meal with just some bread. The people suggesting it are on the right path, though. The water lost during the aging process makes it more calorically dense, on top of lasting damn near forever. I recommend manchego, personally.

>>44323602
I believe the mold on Stilton help keep other microbes away, which is a mark in its favor, but it's crumbly texture is a problem. I'd worry the strains of travel would cause the wheel to break apart. Granted, I've never had to transport Stilton for hundreds of miles via pack mule, so maybe it's not a problem. It can be kind of messy to eat without a table or some other hard, flat surface though.
>>
>>44323619
Behold! The Cheese Knight!
>>
>>44324127
>the Roman legions did not exist in the middle ages
>what is the Eastern Roman Empire
>>
>>44325221
>implying Roman
>implying legions
>>
>>44324127
Geez. The Roman legions and the Roman Army then, the latter of which existed until 1453.
And it was a Parmesan-Style cheese, which was mostly cooked into a stew consisting of wheat grits, fatty salt pork and aforementioned cheese.
>>
>>44322928
Dredmor is watching.
>>
>>44325221
>>44325272
The Roman legions in the sense of the competent force that that phrase conjures up didn't exist in the middle ages. By that point they mainly relied on mercenaries and buying off potential enemies. You two aren't as retarded as the people who straight up aren't aware of the existence of the ERE, but you still have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>44325381
What about Themes, though?

Byzantine had a standing professional army, which wasn't necessarily made up of mercenaries.
Mercenaries bolstered the force and yes, they did continue their tributary system.

Doesn't change the fact that there existed a "Roman" army until 1453 - if there are any sources contradicting this, please point me to them, as it would be news to me.

Or is your problem with "Roman" - I guess you could equally well call them hellenistic?
>>
>>44325381
>>44325509

Ah. Looked it up myself. You're right, by the High and Late Middle Ages the Byzantine Army was mostly made up of mercenaries.
>>
>>44325509
I said that they relied on mercenaries, not that they had literally no standing army of their own. My point was that the Roman legions were not one of the most competent fighting forces of the middle ages. I admit I did a piss poor job stating that, but in my defense I haven't had my morning coffee. Please stop jumping on me for being the idiot here and start jumping on the guy not only claiming that the ancient Roman army was effective because of cheese, but a variety of cheese that was likely invented by Christian monks in the middle ages.
>>
>>44325729
So a fundamental building block of the Roman Army - namely it's extraordinary supply system - isn't relevant to it's effectiveness? I think you underestimate what fighting hungry or malnourished can do to you.

And as I said, it wasn't Parmesan, but Parmesan-Style cheese. A dry, hard cheese made from cow's milk.
Calling it Parmesan was a mistake, but I did it simply to evoke an image, not necessarily be historically accurate. Haven't had any coffee, either.
>>
>>44325910
>So a fundamental building block of the Roman Army - namely it's extraordinary supply system - isn't relevant to it's effectiveness? I think you underestimate what fighting hungry or malnourished can do to you.
Isn't that moving the goalposts? Yes, their supply system was a major part of their effectiveness, but that's logistics. The fact that they were eating cheese isn't, although admittedly it does make for an easy way to transport a large number of calories in a small, relatively nonperishable package, which I'm guessing is what you meant.

I apologize for the Parmesan thing, that was me being willfully obtuse.
>>
File: 800px-Cantal_02[1].jpg (45 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
800px-Cantal_02[1].jpg
45 KB, 800x450
>>44322699
Hard cheese obviously.
I'm going with comté or beaufort. Parmesan is a bit too brittle for adventuring.

Though I've encountered some epoisse that was pretty nourishing and could qualify as a biological weapon if thrown at the enemy.

As for historical use, the Cantal was the cheese of the trench war.
>>
>>44326009
You're absolutely right, it is. I apologize.

It is a factor in logistics, though, in my opinion. A roman legionnaire consumed about 3500kcal a day while on march, so a calorically dense, fatty food like cheese would ease the load of supply trains or march packs.
So yes, you're right, that was what I meant.

>arguing about cheese affecting combat readiness with strangers
>only on 4chan
>>
>>44322928
Havarti cheese is the best. If adventurers carried that everywhere I'd be a BBEG just to kill them and eat their cheese. If offered lichdom I would turn it down because it would mean no more eating. That's how much I love Havarti cheese. I would be the worst BBEG but god damn do I love Havarti cheese.
>>
Someone please post the Cheesemongering Necromancer screencap.
>>
>>44326113
By the way, did you know that during the American Civil War, Union soldiers consumed an average of 2 pints of coffee a day? Southerners often didn't have access to real coffee beans and had to make due with substitutes made from things like acorns. I'm not saying that's the real reason the North won the war, but if this discussion is anything to go by it clearly didn't hurt.
>>
>>44325221
>>44325262

This is catholic dogma-- the idea that Byzantium wasn't the "true" Roman Empire and therefore that the Catholic Church and its designates are the only true inheritors to its legacy. Also, acknowledging the Eastern Roman Empire means acknowledging that the barbarians who destroyed Rome once and for all were the Christians themselves, in a corrupt crusade that never actually bothered to fight in the Holy Land at all.

The Eastern Empire absolutely was Rome.

>>44322743

Consult with your dad. We'll love to hear input.

For adventuring, I'd say have more than one cheese. Any variety, no matter how delicious, will get boring.

My personal preference is a hard cheese that is resistant to spoilage, encased in wax. But I'd prefer to have a few types on hand like I said. Something you can mix into your cooking, something that you can eat on its own, and something that pairs well with other trail foods.

I'd prefer a hard cheese, something softer, and maybe even something spreadable if it can be kept fresh.

In addition to wax, cheese can also be preserved in oil, or smoked and salted. Both change the flavor and texture-- in modern times it's done for taste not preservation. I seem to recall people brining it, too, but am not sure.

>>44322768

The Romans also refused to eat meat on the march, to the point that they'd get mutinous if forced to eat meat by necessity. It made for stinky poop.

Yes, they were the original obnoxious self-righteous vegetarians.
>>
>>44326113
I expect many things from 4chan.

Discussions on the logistics of cheese with regards to marching armies is not one of them.
>>
>>44322699
A hard, dry cheese with a wax rind. Manchego, cheddar, gouda, etc.

Don't forget to barter with passing herdsmen for fresh cheeses! Nothin' like a fresh farmer's cheese to go with some found berries and hot hardtack gruel, best way to start the day.
>>
>>44326322
Kek.
The blunder leading up to Pickett's charge wasn't incompetence or bad organisation.
It was simply lack of coffee.

I can so get behind this theory.
>>
File: cheesemancer.jpg (1 MB, 1107x2608) Image search: [Google]
cheesemancer.jpg
1 MB, 1107x2608
>>44326192
ask and ye shall recieve
>>
>>44326322
That's where chicory coffee came from! It's godlike with beignets.
>>
The man with the most friends is the man with many cheeses
>>
>>44326358

You must be new here.
>>
Smoked Gouda
>>
File: 250px-Oscypki.jpg (16 KB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
250px-Oscypki.jpg
16 KB, 250x220
>hard: checked
>salty: checked
>smoked: checked
The best cheese for adventurers.
>>
File: its actually quite tasty.jpg (151 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
its actually quite tasty.jpg
151 KB, 500x500
>>44326608
>>
>>44326681
The reason angry people stay angry for so long is that salt is a preservative.
>>
>>44326704

You know, I never thought of it that way.

Ok so we've got smoked Gouda, Parmesan, waxed cheddar. I'll add mozzarella packed in herbed oil.
>>
>>44326451
Soldiers of the South! The enemy has everything: Rifles, powder, food, and more importantly, coffee!
We have nothing.
So, let's kill them and take their stocks. Who's with me?
Chaaaaarge!!
>>
File: cheeeeeeeeeese.jpg (22 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
cheeeeeeeeeese.jpg
22 KB, 375x500
>>
>>44326900
you didn't specify a time era
>easy to carry
>lasts for fucking ever
>deliciousness in a can
>>
>>44326900
>eating a holy relic

Blasphemy.
>>
>>44327030
a holy relic for college kids?
>>
>>44326900
>Fucking Artificers
>>
>>44326900
>"cheese snack"

They probably couldn't legally call it "cheese".
>>
>>44326900
>America
>>
>>44326468
I wonder if he was eventually confronted by the Cracker Paladin?
>>
>>44326037
>comté
my melanin-enriched friend
>>
>>44325221
Rome died with Marcus
>>
>>44322699
Beaufort, alternatively goat cheese.
>>
>>44326037
>Though I've encountered some epoisse that was pretty nourishing
I love Ă©poisse but I wouldn't bring one im my backpack.
>>
File: raise your glass.jpg (30 KB, 500x316) Image search: [Google]
raise your glass.jpg
30 KB, 500x316
>>44326468
Reading this always brings the good feels, especially as someone who wants to go into distilling and cheesemaking.
>>
>>44322699
Depends how fast the bear is chasing him
>>
File: p33103401.jpg (16 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
p33103401.jpg
16 KB, 450x450
>>44322699
Easy Cheese.
>>
>>44326358
Welcome to /tg/.
>>
>>44326358
/tg/ in particular is no stranger to this sort of thing.
>>
>>44326468
>Character class: Necromancer
>Alignment: Dangerously Cheesy
>>
>>44329453
Velveeta is called "processed cheese food" because otherwise you would never know that it's supposed to be edible.
>>
File: DF_Cheese.jpg (304 KB, 670x509) Image search: [Google]
DF_Cheese.jpg
304 KB, 670x509
>>44326468
Oh man that's comfy. My dad used to make cheese as a hobby before his low-sodium diet made him lose interest. Would read again.
>>
>>44326348
>The Romans also refused to eat meat on the march, to the point that they'd get mutinous if forced to eat meat by necessity. It made for stinky poop.
You are full of shit.
>>
Dry cheeses? Check.

But why the shit are so many people saying cheddar and gouda? First off: cheddar isn't a type of cheese (read about it). Even if it were, gouda and almost all cheddars have very high moisture contents. Meaning they weigh more and spoil faster. Sure: you age them so they must not spoil, right? Dead-wrong. You age them in specific environments because, once you take them out of those, they turn to crusty, plastic shit in no-time. Most cheeses do this, and the way that you can preserve them isn't by keeping them in wax mini-loafs--that's a convention of industrial cheese making. You keep it in waxed paper. The mini-loaves are absurd at cottage-level industries, which dairies in faux-medieval period almost have to be. You'd be spending more on the wax than the cheese. A cheese wheel will have a wax casing, but we're talking 50lbs. of cheese in a wheel. Know what those wheels are made out of? Not wax dripped onto cheese. But waxed, cloth bandages that you wrap the cheese up in. Which is what you would actually be storing your road-cheeses in which, by the way, would be low-moisture-content cheeses like parmesan and romano. Some things called cheddars meet this, but most don't--most cheddars are semi-hard, at best.
>>
All this talk of cheese has wet my appetite.
>>
>>44326348
>The Eastern Empire absolutely was Rome.
t. Greek

Both claims are disputable and I would personally say that the actual Rome (You know with legions, emperors/consuls and a form of unity that's more than nominal) had already stopped being a thing by the late 3rd century
>>
>>44332070
>Both claims are disputable
They aren't though. The idea of the Eastern Roman Empire not being Roman comes primarily from people who don't know history not understanding that the "Byzantine" empire is an academic distinction not one made by anyone who actually lived there.
>>
File: pemmican-finished.jpg (17 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
pemmican-finished.jpg
17 KB, 500x440
>>44326396
You have the right idea, buuuut...

>No hard salami/cured sausage
>No dried meat
>No pemmican

You can't always hunt, so having some meat protein ready is just common sense.
>>
>>44326348
>acknowledging that the barbarians who destroyed Rome once and for all were the Christians themselves, in a corrupt crusade that never actually bothered to fight in the Holy Land at all.
I wouldn't call WW1 a crusade personally, and sure they outsourced it to native arabs but that doesn't mean the Sinai and Palestine Campaign didn't exist.
>>
>>44327264
mmffffhahaHAHAHA.
>>
I like this thread.
I like cheese.
Cheese is tasty.
>>
>>44333954
>not eating what you kill
>>
File: 1351760797646.jpg (1 MB, 850x883) Image search: [Google]
1351760797646.jpg
1 MB, 850x883
>>44335111
>Expecting to be able to hunt something every day while traveling/adventuring
>Expecting the game to be there
>Expecting to not devote most of the day to laying/waiting/checking snare or tracking game
>Not realizing after all that you still have to gut, clean and prep meat before cooking, all of which takes time.
>unless you're only catching small game, you'll have a shit ton left over.
>Not disposing of the carcass

You've never hunted before, have you?
>>
>>44335211
Who the fuck said anything about hunting? Kill the bandits threatening the hapless villagers, eat the bandits until your next chance for fresh meat comes up. Rinse and repeat with anything that isn't obviously terrible eatings like the undead.

Admittedly one should probably preserve some portion of your kills as I'm doubtful even the most bloodied of adventurers kill shit every few days. Though there is also the issue of what cannibalism might do for one's reputation so maybe stuff like humans/dwarves/elves ought to be off the table, but general monsters would probably still be acceptable.

Depends on the setting i guess.
>>
>>44335211
That dude seems quite unexcited about stabbing a pig in the throat
>>
>>44322699
The Suffolk Cheese. It's a hard, dry cheese that'd probably last your adventurer at least seven months in the field due to it's incredibly low moisture content. There's almost no whey in it, only solid curd, which means that it doesn't readily rot and it really doesn't absorb moisture. This also means that when cooked it just gets hot and hard rather than becoming chewy or goopy, meaning you can easily handle it in the field.

>And, like the oaken shelf whereon 'tis laid,
>Mocks the weak efforts of the bending blade;
>Or in the hog-trough rests in perfect spite.
>Too big to swallow, and too hard to bite!

For these reasons, even the British with their execrable taste in food abandoned the production of Suffolk cheese.
>>
>>44335399
Wild hogs/boar are huge cunts from what I've been told. One should be happy about putting them down.
>>
>>44326851
Isn't that literally the story of half the offensives of WWI?
>>
File: TN1011J.jpg (71 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
TN1011J.jpg
71 KB, 400x600
>>44335399
>My feet hurt.
>This spear is heavy.
>My Liberal arts degree is wasted.
>I don't even like pork.

>>44335473
We get 300-400 pounders that are decedents of imported German black forest boar, here in Va. The English imported them in the 1600's to hopefully attract nobles to the colony.

They dun fucked up.

At least it gives us a hobby!
>>
>>44335633
I'd say it would also feed you but I've also heard bad things about the quality of their meat.

Still, it is good to have a hobby.
>>
>>44335660
Depending on what they been eating (in New Kent, mostly chickens, local farm growth and raided animal feed), they taste awesome. I got a few pounds in my freezer now.
>>
>>44335111
>implying I don't track my cheese, duel it to an honorable fight and kill it with my bare hands.
I'm not mad, just disappointed in you, anon.
>>
File: 20151222_230636.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151222_230636.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>44335719
Dropped my pic.
>>
>>44335758
I was more on the meat part of the post, but...
>not stalking the cheese and silently taking it out in the dark of night without it ever being aware of your presence before it is dead on the ground, bleeding cheese onto the streets
>>44335719
>chickens
Good on your for killing them then.
>>
>>44322699
Why not...muenster!?
>>
>>44336922
>american muenster
>not original munster
This means war, Carlos.
>>
>>44336989
i enjoy both, but i prefer american muenster on sandwiches.
>>
>>44322699
Anything is gouda really. Just depends on swiss kind you're into. On that I think we could all a brie.
>>
>>44335319
>Eat the Bandits

Seriously man, thats asking for all manner of diseases. Human beings are filthy diseased animals.
>>
>>44338387
I'm not aware of any hazards outside of the usual for eating meat outside of prions but those can be avoided by not eating brains.
>>
>>44333954
I went innawoods for 17 months and subsited on peanuts, fish, game and wild fruit. I took down three deer on my journey and each one lasted me a little over a month made into jerky, sausages and dried stew cubes.

>But wat about the cheese?
While I was wandering I often went past towns and traded stuff from the woods or labor for foods I couldn't get on the road like cheese, bread, dried beans, oil, etc. My favourite was this rural church that would trade me Port Salut wheels to do their logging. That cheese is fucking delicious.

Anyway my point is, you won't be absolutely exiled from civilization even if you don't have an actual goal and are just wandering aimlessly. An adventurer would happen upon farms, abbeys, towns and settlements with shit for trade all of the time and some of the very best trail foods (cereals, dried beans, peanuts, dried apple) are easy to get and very easy and inconvenient to store on your pack. You can also eat all the cheese while it's good and save your beans and nuts for when you don't have any more cheese, so any hard or medium-hard, smoked and even some brined cheeses would be fine for adventure.
>>
>>44335770
Gropey, can I staple a $100 dollar bill to your dick?
>>
>>44326348

Lies! The Italian city states (and the state they would become) are the true successors of Rome! The history book says so!
>>
>>44338387

Don't eat the heads!

Alternatively, if you're human yourselves and find the idea of eating them nasty, go to a place with elves or dwarves or something else that isn't human is the norm and eat /them/ instead. I'm sure elf could be considered a delicacy.
>>
>>44338397
>>44339379
The closer to the human genome the meat you eat is, the more chance there is that the pathogens inside it can infect you. That's why pork can give so many potential diseases, while chicken or fish is safer (for example).
Not sure how it applies to dwarfs an elfs since they are very close to humans in appearance but were created by completely different gods.
Probably still very dangerous, since they can breed between species.

Also, enjoy your curses, you're becoming a ghoul when you die, and they've probably put a couple of other hexes on cannibalism to boot. fucking wizards man, they're trying to manipulate us all, I tell ya.
>>
>>44331774
Cheddar isn't cheese? I need to do some research (and likely continue to be disappointed)
>>
File: bandits.jpg (64 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
bandits.jpg
64 KB, 620x372
>>44340913
>last bandit is defeated, waiting for death.
>cast cure disease
>feeling the rush of healing energy
>bandit asks if you're going to let him go
>nah I just want clean sausages
>>
>>44322699
What if healing items were cheese?
>>
>>44338387
That's what the cleric is for.
>>
>>44341435
It would be better than bread, but not as good as premium chicken or that crunchy bread.
>>
>>44340913
I'd imagine pigs and chicken and fish would also have been created by completely different gods from those that created humans. And anyway, humans and elves at least literally belong to the same species (albeit different subspecies), as evidenced by the fact that they can produce fertile offspring.
>>
>>44341517
Except that is not how it works in fantasy worlds.
>>
>>44334214
>I wouldn't call WW1 a crusade personally, and sure they outsourced it to native arabs but that doesn't mean the Sinai and Palestine Campaign didn't exist.

>Thinks Ottoman Empire = Rome

This can't be real, can it? I mean, it HAS to be a troll, right?

OK, I'll assume someone in the thread doesn't get it. What I'm referring to is the Siege of Constantinople in 1204. The fourth crusade needed a ride to the Holy Land to fight the muslims, but no city would provide ships. Eventually, the Venetians agreed, but only if the Crusaders attacked a christian city, a rival of Venice, first. Which they did. Then the Venetians entangled them in the succession crisis in Constantinople, and eventually the crusaders defeated this christian city.

While the crusaders sacked the city raping and pillaging more or less at random, the venetians were ready and their troops were ready with orders to slip in and grab the best of the loot (relics, priceless art and artifacts, and treasure).

The crusaders were so disgusted with what they'd done that the whole thing broke up at that point. They never did get around to fighting muslims. The Eastern Roman Empire tottered on for fifty years before being conquered and converted by Islam. Anatolia eventually regained its glory-- as the center of the Ottoman Empire.

The ottoman Empire lasted five hundred years, then disintegrated during World War I. From its ashes rose modern day Turkey.
>>
>>44338380

You son of a bitch.
>>
>>44339366

Lol, good point!

>inb4 doctrine of Petrine Succession
>>
>>44336922
Absolutelynot.jpg
>>
>>44339009
Non-traveling survival is different from distance coverage. You pick three needed for survival: Risk- distance- time- need. In your case, distance was not part of your endgame.

>>44339178
No. Chest, tongue, back, cheek, forehead, arms, legs, butt and belly. You're derailing the thread.
>>
>>44339379
>Don't eat the heads!
>He doesn't realize kuru was an isolated incident, not something that magically happens when you eat brains
>LaughingIdiAmin.jpg
>>44341323
I think he means it's more of a family of cheeses than a specific type. Although this is 4chan- "Chedder cheese isn't cheese" wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've seen someone try to claim.
>>
File: DSC_4556.JPG.jpg (361 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4556.JPG.jpg
361 KB, 1600x1600
>not eating a cheese that's already been spoiled so it's gonna last, like, forever
>it can stink so badly you can use it as a biowepon
>>
>>44341390
those sausages look like they're organized by victim race. Human, elf, halfling, orc, dwarf. What do you think they taste like?
>>
>>44326358
Lurk Moar
>>
>>44345015
I cannot unsee this.

Boy, the players sure will be quite happy to find out why the rations in towns are so cheap

That'll get them to maybe stop just buying food and carrying 50 lbs of it around
>>
There are a bunch of records of what merchant ships traveled with (off the top of my head Edam comes to mind) probably one of those as they keep well enough for even sea voyages.
>>
>>44344876
All cheese is rotten, really. Much like all kind of preservation, we just chose what bacteria get to live in our food and what can't (on account of us setting the environment for them, so to speak).

But I get what you're saying.
>>
>>44326322
alongside acorns, you'd see dandelions roots roasted and ground as well as Kentucky Coffee tree beans.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 588x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 588x400
>>44322699
Since we're already talking about cheese, now would be a good time to ask; what kind of wine would an adventurer to keep in their wineskin?
>>
>>44326773
mozzarella doesn't keep well enough for adventuring.

Gouda and Parm are both good for that, and having the waxed cheddar is also decent.

>>44326451
The blunder of Pickett's charge was their failure to follow through as a charge. They lost the fight when they stopped to take pot-shots. If they had finished charging, they might well have taken the heights.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 286x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 286x250
>>
>>44322699
>>44348870

Or rather, whats good 'ration' meals, if such a thing exists?

Can it be done, package and carry a days worth of viable food like in RPGs?

Even more off the rails, whats 'everyday' gear an explorer or adventurer would need?
>>
>>44344876
re those brown things bugs?
>>
>>44352519
They appear to be caraway seeds
>>
>>44348870
>what kind of wine would an adventurer to keep in their wineskin?
It would likely be less alcohol than most modern wines are, and/or would be watered down. I don't think any particular variety of wine is better suited to travel than any other.

I believe fortified wines like port and sherry were popular for long sea voyages, since the addition of distilled spirits and some other differences kept them from spoiling longer, but I have no idea about their use by people traveling overland (I'm much more knowledgeable about the history of spirits and mixed drinks than wine). Also it's worth pointing out that the words "port" and "sherry" both derive from real world place names (Porto and Jerez, respectively), so if that kind of thing bothers you you may want to come up with new ones.
>>
>>44326608
Also it looks like you could put it in a sack and make an impromptu sap
>>
>>44352317
>rations

Hard tack

Salted or smoked meats

Pemmican

Salted or smoked cheese

Meal or millet
>>
>>44326348
You expect me to take you seriously when you literally spouted bullshit about Rome that hasn't been accepted since the 1970's.

Roman camps dating to the third century BC, both temporary and permanent where found with large amounts of animal bones in the trash areas. You're a retard.

Also the idea of Byzantium not being the true roman empire comes not from catholic doctrine, but the City and people of Rome itself. Byzantium and the ERE where mostly all greek socially and ethnically, you can't have a Roman empire without Rome or Romans. It has nothing to do with Catholic dogma.
>>
>>44341658
The fourth crusade has nothing to do with the holy land you retard. The memory of the flat out murder of tens of thousands of Catholics in the city was still very fresh. The Fourth Crusade was about fighting the Orthodox who committed those crimes and taking Constantinople.

Following the Massacre of the Latins, it was literally the only possible outcome. The fact that Venice played it smart and used it as an opportunity to gain wealth and influence while making an idiot out of the pope can't be used against them. It's what Venice does, crafty bastards they are.
>>
>>44348358
This cheese is made by leaving quark for two weeks in a warm place and frying it afterwards. I'd say it's far more rotten than the average.
>>
>>44335770
Not to be a shit, but shouldn't a propper boar spear have a cross bar to block the big bastards?
>>
>>44322731
this.
>>
>>44354511
Except the Fourth Crusade was intended to attack Egypt, they did not set out to sack Constantinople. If you have a source for the extraordinary claim it was planned as a punitive attack on the Byzantine Empire feel free to post it.
>>
>>44357846
how did we get from cheese to this?
>>
>>44358048

Where do you think we are?
>>
File: Cormyrian Death Cheese.jpg (72 KB, 337x546) Image search: [Google]
Cormyrian Death Cheese.jpg
72 KB, 337x546
If you haven't already, I highly recommend picking up all the Volo's Guides and especially Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog. They're full of stuff like this. Usable straight out of the book or as inspiration.
>>
>>44358481
Oh, and to a lesser extent Elminster's Ecologies. They detail, among other things, the marsh drovers who herd the catoblepas to make this stuff.
>>
>>44358491
I should add that the drovers are probably less useful than the adventure seed presented here, but still neat. Fortunately, the Elminster's Ecologies series is presented in character and is portrayed as potentially unreliable (as are all the Volo's Guides).
>>
>>44338387

I think certain cuts of the human body fucks you up as well. Might be thigh if im remembering right
>>
I think caciocavallo would be good for adventuring. It's a hard cheese, so it won't break in packs easily, it has an edible rind, so you won't waste that part of it, and it dries very quickly, so you can buy it fresh instead of aged.
>>
>>44339009
>17 months
Hory shit, do tell of your adventures my melanin enriched comrade.
>>
>>44353941
The greeks carried potent wine, and watered it down to drink, meaning that they had room for more water, which was essential for voyages.
>>
>>44358661
Other than the brain and spinal cord, I think it's just the bone marrow and small intestine that carry any prion risk. I don't think there were any other problems described in the Donner party or that plane crash in the Andes back in the 70s.
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.