[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help with WIP mono [W] deck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Image.png (124 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
124 KB, 223x311
I'm a complete noob to MTG and I'm constructing a white weenie deck as my first deck. Any suggestions and criticisms (good or bad) are welcome. Tell me what I'm doing wrong amd what I'm doing right

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wip-white-soldier/
>>
>>44315624
With a curve like that, it's not White Weenie.
Soldier of the Pantheon > Elite Vanguard
Elspeth Knight Errant is better than Sun's Champion.
Needs a couple Honor of the Pure.
Needs a couple Conqueror's Pledges.
You will eventually hate having 4 Captain of the Watches without having green in there to ramp (no, Preeminent Captain is not enough to support that many).

Consider Thalia and Kytheon.
Consider Dryad Militant if your meta calls for it.
Consider Hada Freeblade and Kazandu Blademaster, even if they're the only allies in the deck (my kitchen table eventually dreaded those two).
Consider Odric and Boros Elite if your curve gets lower.
>>
Thanks for the suggestions. Knight-Errant is a bit out of my budget rn. The only reason I have those sun's champions is because my friend gave them to me. I'll look into those cards though, thank you!
>>
Mikaeus.
>>
Well, really it depends, do you want a good white weenie deck? Or do you want a soldier deck?

They seem similar, but they both hold different connotations, white weenie is generally an aggressive strategy where you deploy a lot of creatures, to get huge effect out of anthems and push for lethal. On the other hand a soldier tribal deck is a lot more welcoming for a new player, and funner to mess around with.

The next question is, are you building it for casual just with friends, or to try and play competitive modern or something? You won't get far in competitive, maybe something like a 20% winrate, if that. I can suggest you some fun cards depending.
>>
>>44316368

I suppose I'm going for more of a tribal soldier deck, and at best I want to be able to hold my own against some competitive decks. Is that even powsible with this deck concept?
>>
>>44316202
No problem, forgot to mention a couple things.
Day of Judgment is cheap and you're going to want it for most white decks you make in the future.
Ranger of Eos is good for grabbing cheese (Loyal Sentry & Dryad Militant).
>>44317039
Soldier Tribal isn't going to win very much against the big modern decks in competitive environments, especially on a budget. As a start, I'd recommend bumping Path up to a 4-of.
>>
>>44317039
soldier isnt a competetive deck sadly, so you want the deck for 1on1s?
>>
>>44317314
>>44317364

Sad to hear that I can't be competitive really but that's okay. This is my first deck after all. Thanks for the help, I'll refinitely check out everyone's suggestions. Cheers.
>>
>>44317039
Alright, well that's good, tribal decks can be a lot of fun starting out. I'd start by recommending two primary cards, Field Marshal and Daru Warchief. Field marshal is probably the best soldier lord(lord being a creature that makes other creatures of a type stronger), and daru warchief allowing a very powerful play in the deck, a turn 5 Captain of the Watch.

I haven't seen a lot of the prices recently, but field marshal used to be a popular card so it cost a little bit, I'll try and keep the suggestions budget though.

Another cool suggestion would be a Ranger of Eos 'package', so you run 4 Ranger of Eos, and an assortment of 1-drop creatures to search for with, these 1-drops are generally two narrow to normally be good, but with Eos it means you jsut get them when you need them.
Cards that are ok for this are like Dryad Militant, Loyal Sentry, Soldier of the Pantheon and Mikaeus the Lunarch. Opponent got a big multi colour creature? Grab Soldier, using their graveyard? Dryad, is it super late into the game? Mikaeus.

I think that's probably enough suggestions, have fun with the deck, and once you've played it a bit you might even want to take it in a different direction. You can do a small equipment theme with Auriok Steelshaper and Puresteel Paladin, or even give it a human theme with Champion of the Parish and Increasing Devotion.
>>
>>44315624
Try my build:

4 Brave the Elements
4 Captain of the Watch
22 Plains
4 Preeminent Captain
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 Path to Exile
4 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Dryad Militant
2 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
SB: 4 Kor Firewalker
SB: 2 Rule of Law
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 Dismember
SB: 2 Stony Silence
>>
>>44317597
>>44319801
A sufficiently aggressive White Weenie CAN win by attacking from an unexpected angle, especially with no one being prepared for Brave the Elements. My list has won some games when I have taken it out instead of playing a real deck, even though it is much worse than my monowhite Hatebears deck.
>>
>>44315624
already know you need four honor of the pure, cut out the smiths. you also need 3 nykthos.
Add in maybe an Obelisk of Urd or two
>>
>>44319821
I'm with this anon.

You could probably take that pretty far with a mild investment. As other anon's have pointed out, path.

There are also some very cheap and effective options for splashing red, or if you like a token-army sort of thing, white/black tokens is really cheap(sort of) and really strong.
>>
>>44319821
I tend to forget about Brave the Elements since my kitchen table meta was clogged up with Eldrazi Titans/Spawn and Wurmcoils for quite a while, and it ended up being a dead card several times. That said it is indeed strong and extremely flexible in most situations.
>>
For the most part, if you a not a professional player you should just be copying the decks of pros. Unless you've done reasonably well at a few GPs it's naive to think you can make a stronger deck.

>but that doesn't sound very fun
I know, but if your goal is to make a strong deck it's the obvious best path to take

>but what if I want to make something that's my own? Or something around a specific theme?
That's fine, but realize your going to have a weaker deck. And if your fine with having a weaker deck it's a bit weird asking for advice to make it stronger.

>but I can't afford to buy all the cards in a pros deck
Welcome to constructed my friend, if your not willing to pay you'll have a weaker deck

My advice is to not get too hung up on your deck if your just playing casually, just have fun with your mates.
>>
>>44315624
What's your budget?
>>
>>44320948
Even then, he isnt necessarily going to lose every game no matter what he builds. I played thresh vs this guys casual deck that consisted solely of a true name nemesis, 20 counterspells and 20 o-ring style effects and managed to lose game 1
"Why didnt you protect your-"
I tried. I drew only wastelands and spell snare/pierce for 8 turns
>>
This seems to be the most relevant thread to ask. I have a gift card for 50 for my local supermarket and I was wondering what packs should I get to get the most out of them. They have theros block to the most recent and some m14 and ravinica packs if I look hard enough. I have mostly standard cards but getting into modern is also fine for me.
>>
>>44315624
If you're on a budget, you gotta include this guy
>>
>>44315624
For a soldier tribal deck, Odric will wreck your opponents shit once you get him out.
Attended Knight is a good way to get soldier tokens out early, especially when you have ways to return it to your hand.
Soldier decks tend to need a few turns to build up, so some Azorious Arresters/cheap mono - white Detainers can buy the time needed to build.
Cathar's Crusade makes your tokens extremely dangerous, especially when you follow up with a Captain of the Watch.
>>
>>44322979
Origins probably has the highest value atm because of Jace and Hangarback Walker. BFZ if they stock the Fat Pack, but they probably don't.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.