[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you rewrite/outright change about 40k canon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 26
File: Ork Weaponry Found in Brazil.jpg (137 KB, 697x524) Image search: [Google]
Ork Weaponry Found in Brazil.jpg
137 KB, 697x524
What would you rewrite/outright change about 40k canon?
>>
>>44315575
Make it NobleBright. The universe is in a shitty situation, sure, but the whole inevitable death spiral of the cosmos thing just doesn't do it for me. I like my stories to include heroes, or at least protagonists who get shit done that meaningfully improves or changes the status quo. Grim narratives just don't do it for me anymore.
>>
>>44315575
It seems an odd choice seeing as GW goes back and stuff all the time.

Probably just elaborate on the history a bit more. Probably explain what the Elder were doing in the last 10,000 years during man's expansion. Have times odds times when peace broke out on the galactic scale. Turn down the default imperium point of view.

Write out the iron men or just say it was necrons. Just say the technology got lost. is just take it as a given by now. Besides elder and Tau robots haven't turned on them. Maybe bring back a few imperial robots.

Bring back squats. only the rouge faction now who despises 'tallies'.

Actually remember there is the sister is the battle and kroot for once.

Do something with that child starchild stuff that was around 20 years ago.

Update the galactic map so it's a barrel spiral galaxy.
>>
>>44315575
Make it Nobledark

Delete all of HH series

Have the Emperor actually die, Girlyman set up Imperium Secondus, let the plot advance slowly.

Make the Chaos Gods like their fantasy selves.
>>
>>44315575
More minor Xenos races.

Have more actual heroic figures.

Acknowledge that there are both good and bad aspects to all groups.

Explain why the fuck Eldar Corsairs raid ships in the first place. Is it to loot stuff off them? If so, why the fuck are they stealing inferior human tech? Why not fucking raid DEldar or whatever?
>>
Chaos gods are now galactic parasites. Still extremely powerful, still one of the biggest threats, but no more 'hurf durf we've killed entire realities before' type nonsense.
>>
>>44315647
Meant to say NobleDark, like >>44315968 over here. I prefer Dark settings, it's the Grim that I despise.
>>
>>44315575
Nothing really. Maybe shift the timeline back a thousand years so that the game takes place in 1.M41 instead of 999.M41. That way you have plenty of 40,000 to play with instead of trying to fit all these end times shenanigans into the last year of the end of days. You know? They're never going to cross fully into M42 because it would be false advertising. By moving all these big events to the dawn of the 41st Millennium instead of its finale, you get an extra millennium of story time to move major plots forward.
>>
>>44315575
Add more dakka. Krump more gits. Add space-stunty race for grots to praktise stompin on.
>>
I would change that the guys who do the "tactics" for the IoM start to use that thing that they call a brain and stop wasting extremly critical military resources like huge ass expensive battle ships that can't be replaced and use them as battering rams or flying bombs against other ships and a damn pyrrhus victory is not a good outcome for a battle.
>>
>>44315968
>Delete HH series
>Roboute's Imperium Secundus arc
Choose one, faggot

Turn the dial to slightly Nobledark, Astral Knights style. The galaxy is a shitty place but good things do happen.

The Necrons need to go back to being mindless, implacable metal ghouls. Not the lol-randumb insane AI that they are now.

Acknowledge that the Tau is a fucking small piece of the pie, AND if they are going to get that much attention, other small factions should get the same treatment.

Bring back a fucking Primarch or two, daemonic or otherwise.
>>
Make all races more intelligent. That way, they would want to fight for the general betterment of the galaxy, towards a common ultimate goal.
>>
File: Not Bad Lana.jpg (213 KB, 599x674) Image search: [Google]
Not Bad Lana.jpg
213 KB, 599x674
>>44316199
I like this one. More space to advance the story would solve a lot of fluff problems. Plus, it's not like previous millennia are too dense to move around. It'd be easy to just move all historical events back a thousand years and pick up exactly where we are now: 13th Black Crusade, Tyranid invasion, Tau iron curtain, Squats as an endangered species, etc. Then you can continue forward into the rest of a newly opened-up M41 and all the fags that want the story to advance and change get what they want.
>>
>>44316199
>too many things happen across a galactic spanning empire in 1000 years...

You need to think about what you wrote, maybe compare to our historical timeframe. Realize how many perceived end times humanity has avoided. I will start you off.
Any of thousands of wars. Notably the world wars, Napoleonic conquest, Mongol invasions.
Black death.
Influenza.
Threat of nuclear annihilation.
Climate change.
that's without trying. For one planet.
>>
Undo all of Matt Ward and C.S. Goto from EVERYWHERE!!!! Make the Imperium a capitalist democracy after the Emperor.
>>
>>44316323
Yez make dem squig lickers see wez lookin at da big picture ere!
>>
>>44316393
Be that as it may, it's been December 30th 40999 for 30 years now and the setting will never advance beyond that because of the brand title. Pushing the date back gives you significantly more time to add more events to the setting.
>>
>>44315575
Space Marines are seen more as Knights rather than Angels, and the Angel motifs are shifted over to Sisters instead.

More focus is put on the fact that there are more Chaos gods and minor warp entities than the big four, and there's more variety in terms of what a Chaos force can be.

Tau don't have battlesuits larger than the Ghostkeel, and the Riptide is instead Ghostkeel sized.

More minor Xeno races get mentioned and are given designs for them and vehicles, offering potential for conversions.
>>
>>44315575
make the chaos gods, necrons and nids less stupidly OP, make the orks more stupidly OP. Make it grimdark not edgysoedgy as it is now. Move on the plot, the tau need to be stronger, the eldar need a reason to still even be around the imperium needs to update its tech. The space marines either need to go and be replaced by a super soilder program or need to make the least bit of seans. (Why are ultrasmurfs so much beter than everyone else?)
>>
>>44316543
holy shit really?
is it literally 24 hours until it becomes warhammer 41K?
I mean I know it was 40,999 and I've always argued that they can't seriously expect people to believe all this shit is happening in a year.
>>
>>44316415
I know why Ward causes so much butthurt, but what about the other guy? What did he do?
>>
>>44316393
>climate change
>avoided

mate its the middle of winter here and it's well above 0 C, i live in poland, normal is -15, we aint avoided shit
>>
>>44316977
I was exaggerating. The actual date is 999.???.M41. So it all just happens in this vague comic book spacetime where every apocalyptic clusterfuck is happening right just now.

Which is perfectly fine. I would just rather have a big open millennium to play with than this invisible time-wall at the end of the year.
>>
>>44317087
>vague comic book spacetime where every apocalyptic clusterfuck is happening right just now.

Something something Warp Shenanigans something something time is meaningless.
>>
>>44315575
I would adjust the settings to somewhere in the NobleDark range, mostly to get rid of the stupidly grim BS.

Make it more clear that the whole lost souls beyond the Emperor's Light thing is propaganda like so much else is.

Un-Squat the Squats. Let the cheese be cheese.

Re-instate the many callback Hive Fleets from a couple editions back, and allow them to be at war with each other. Because Zoats, and because Tyranids need politics.

Lop the head off of the Necrons. Isolated nests only.
>>
>>44317003
Go to 1d4chan and type in his name, you'll find out.
>>
I set all my Dark Heresy games in the Dark Age of Technology.
>>
>>44316415
You are joking.
Right?
>>
Rerun 4ed with corrections.
>>
>>44315575
It's a somewhat small change fluff wise, but I'd up the number of marines per chapter by a fair amount. 1000+Support is pathetic, especially when it comes to first founding chapters who are everywhere at once taking losses. If the original legions were around 50,000-80,000 marines large then dropping that by tenfold makes more sense to me.

At the same time though I think successor chapters should start with 1000 marines then be allowed to expand over time if they're good at their jobs. It would allow the dark comedy of a chapter grinding themselves down to a handful in a battle against an inordinate amount of enemies, saving the day but crippling their chapter only to be awarded 10 extra marines and 5 geneseed.
>>
>>44318047
Nope
>>
The Emperor truly did die, but due to the mass sacrifices of psyker souls to keep the Astronomicon, where his soul is tethered in the warp, active. The Astronomicon and the soul of the Emperor is becoming a nascent warp entity known as the Starchild.

The Emperor however in life did not seek to be worshipped as a god, but due to superstition since his death has become so.

The Eldar are doing the same thing but with the entirety of their race, becoming the Eldar God of Death, Ynnead.

I'd have the Imperium far more Gothic Space Nazi than usual, but also detail the civilian life in books and rpgs.

The Space Marines are like clans and knights of their own, allied with the Imperium because of the Emperor. It has also been divided due to Roboute Guillman of the Ultramarines setting up his own second Empire disregarding the worship of the Emperor as a god and instead trying to enact the mandate the Emperor initially put forth. This puts his Empire and the Imperium against one another.

The Tau Commonwealth emerged from a poorly explored sector of the galaxy, and is a federation of alien species which is reflected far more in their models and armies. More than just Kroot or Vespid auxillary forces.
>>
>>44318550
Also more stories of the less explored or populated parts of the galaxy, where aliens of all stripes mingle. Imagine the Cantina from Mos Eisley but for Warhammer 40k, much more grimdark.
>>
Honestly? I would just advance the fucking plot in a huge expansion aka End Times 2.0. I like grimdark 40k exactly the way it is.

Orks would remain pretty similar to how they are now. Ghazghkull may be a big guy but I doubt he could actually unite the galaxies Ork population fully. They would just continue being a big nuisance for everyone.

The entire eastern fringe would realise the threat the Tyranids face when the largest hive fleet to date shows up (the previous fleets were just scout parties by comparison). It eats countless worlds and the populations of that portion of the galaxy, xenos and human alike, move to stop it.

Meanwhile in the west, the 13th Black Crusade with Abbaddon who no longer fucking sucks at the helm alongside the now united traitor legions and Daemon Primarchs break the Cadian Gate and plough towards Terra. Meanwhile the lost loyalist Primarchs show up/wake up from their naps and bring their respective chapters and successors together as singular fighting forces alongside Imperial Navy and IG auxiliaries and take the fight to their 10,000 year old former brothers.

The Eldar race could reunite and help fight Chaos, but honestly I don't know their lore enough to come up with a decent one for them so fuck it.

All of this is foreshadowed by the death of Big E, who reincarnates as the Star Child.
>>
Couple of ideas:

- set it in 30k instead, have the lore stop either just before emps and Horus duke it out, Kill off Horus without killing the emperor, or kill off Erebus and have an awesome space adventure about 18 spess mahreen legions vs the tyranids or something

-Emperor dies, manages to do some utter OP bullshit and cut the warps influence off completely from reality - no psykers, no daemons, and no warp travel. In Priests of Mars, there is a tiny hint that DAoT ships have Star Trek style warp drives (or the technology was developed) so perhaps have the admech discover that then tell the rest of the imperium to go suck it - conflict ensues, worlds have to deal with no warp travel unless they swear allegiance to the admech, imperium stranglehold over a lot of systems diminishes, and Xeno races get involved because no warp travel.
>>
>>44320538
Not quite ST warp drive, my bad. Quote i was referring to -

>"power generation that could harness the galactic background radiation to propel ships beyond lightspeed, weapon-tech that could crack open planets and event horizon machines that had the power to drag entire star systems into their light and time-swallowing embrace"
>>
I just want to say that those people who want Noble something are faggots and shouldn't be here.
>>
Warhammer 42k, Age of the Emperor.

It turns out that the Legion of the Damned and miracles of the Sisters of Battle was a sign of changes in the warp. In M42, Terra erupts into a new Eye of Terror, only this time spreading in a golden halo of light that instantly purges all Xenos, Daemons, and Corrupted withing the same square lightyears covered by the Eye of Terror. The Emperor becomes the Chaos God of Order, his herald is Sanguinius reincarnated and restored to life as a supreme greater daemon that BTFO's everything, and he leads an immortal daemon army known as the Legion of Light, the Legion of the Damned re-purposed and expanded.

However there is a cost. Fully embroiled in an endless war against the other Four Gods of Chaos, the Emperor can no longer manage the Astronomicon. The Imperium of Man fractures and contracts around the new Prism of Light, headed by Guilliman restored as Lord Regent. The Lion also returns, and rallies all the Dark Angels back into a singular Legion dedicated to patrolling their own territories outside of this Gilded Warp Storm, and serve as a patrol force keeping the outer reaches of human territories safe. Vulkan and Leman Russ both return and rebuild their Legions, and mount on a quest to find their missing brothers, Corax and Khan. Meanwhile most of the Space Marine chapters become more feudal and shift into a ruling class- their greater efficiency and freedom allowing them to rule the astronomicon-less Imperium better.

The Eldar meanwhile all committed suicide, with Ynnead being reborn in the body of Eldrad, who dominates Slaanesh and forces her to give up claim to Eldar souls. Ynnead then goes on to free Isha from Nurgle, before expending much of his power reincarnating all the lost armor, the Eldar civilization over all comes roaring back, stronger than ever. Slaanesh is still alive, but has lost much of its former glory and is now sulks in the warp, plotting its revenge.
>>
>>44320673
*lost Eldar.

The Silent King meanwhile awakens most of the Necrons in the Galactic East, and mounts a massive crusade against the Tyranids. The two forces meet, the Necrons are mauled, but the Tyranids are overall crushed. The Silent King begins to rebuild Necron civilization in the East after this, but there are rumors of the C'tan returning, and putting all his work into jeopardy.

Meanwhile shit goes down with Chaos with the four gods destabilized. Slaanesh is weakened, and this throws the Great Game into uproar. In the confusion Tzeentch manages to reforge his staff and reclaim his title as the most powerful God, humbling Khorne before all the daemon hosts. He goes on to show why even the rest of the Chaos Gods were scared shitless by him, launching a horrifying Black Crusade against the delicately balanced Imperium by using all psykers not resolute in their faith to the Emperor (basically lacking the new God Emperor's "mark") as conduits for daemons. Thousands of Imperial worlds are destroyed as Keepers of Secrets lead hordes of constantly shifting Tzeentch-spawn against material life and the human inhabitants of the assaulted worlds are turned into daemonhosts. Guilliman and the Lion respond, but their relief force is too late and too small to make a difference. Magnus meets them in battle, but spares their life when he had the opportunity to kill them as he is still not fully in Tzeentch's grasp, much to the God's fury.
>>
>>44315575
>.50 cal homemade rifles
Jesus brazilians you are fucking nuts.
>>
File: INTHENAMEOFTHEEMPEROR.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
INTHENAMEOFTHEEMPEROR.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
I would kill all the heretics and xenos

This is the only acceptable post.

AVE IMPERATOR!
>>
>>44320729
Cartels are real life Orks.
>>
"No men under arms"

That would mean you could have a proper Church faction, with proper sisters, without it falling into the usual arguing we have here
>>
Remove Tau completely. No Necrons or Tyranids with personalities, and Necrons are terminators with gods, not Tomb Kings in space. Ultramarines are vanilla, but not any more special than anyone else. Less wolf in Space Wolves, also less vikings. Doomrider is now the champion of Slaanesh. Make the Emperor and the primarchs reasonable. More Lost and the Damned. The Grey Knights are special, but not that special. Mankind is doomed but fights on. The heroes are good and the villains are evil (or indifferent), but noone is a Mary Sue.
>>
>>44316415
You want it even more grim dark?
>>
>>44317012
The point is it's not Day After Tomorrow.
>>
Bigger pauldrons
>>
Remove the grimdark shit, that's played out.
>>
Undo every change they've made to it in the last 10 years.
>>
>>44322089

Make it 20 -

FB came out in 1983, FB2 in '84.
40k came out in 1987, 40k2 in '93.
Start a data purge to delete everything published after, say, 1995. Then we can eliminate the reams of fluff "explanations" pumped out by people who should have just gotten real jobs.
>>
Go with what they are doing for dark eldar and add female parts for generic units, just to mix in to other factions it would make sense to see, guard, tau, that sort of thing.

Sort out necron fluff to retain the new character depth, but curtail the silliness and restore more of their menace.

Hire some writers for nids, I don't trust myself.

Demonstrate some simple but crucial scientific advances in the imperium things like mini Internets, better ration makers, female space marines etc.
>>
>>44321399
>Remove Tau completely
And what about the people who bought their models?
>>
>>44322929
Clearly they fuck off and stop ruining the hobby
>>
>>44322963
>muh hobby
>muh boys club
>muh tau ruining everything

kid, please
>>
File: saint_celestine.jpg (72 KB, 1024x574) Image search: [Google]
saint_celestine.jpg
72 KB, 1024x574
>>44315575

Make Saint Celestine the Imperial Consort of the Emperor so he wasn't some forever alone neckbeard
>>
File: tauchick.jpg (124 KB, 680x915) Image search: [Google]
tauchick.jpg
124 KB, 680x915
>>44322963

Fuck off mane, Tau players are literally propping up the whole game atm.
>>
>>44316977
>>44317087
40k is in Groundhog Day but EVERYBODY's doing everything different and changes actually persist.
>>
>>44320673
>>44320718
I actually really bloody like this.
>>
>>44315575
I'd wind up writing something so different that it isn't even able to be called wh40k anymore.

So I'd probably just add female space marines, smaller pauldrons and blueberry tau to canon just to piss off grognards.
>>
File: raw.gif (1 MB, 498x298) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
1 MB, 498x298
>>44323185
>The God Emperor of Mankind is Bill Murray
Please, sweet Jesus, somebody do something with this.
>>
>>44323301
Pretty much, actually. The only two others in a "coma" that I know of (Guilliman, but he's technically dead and the Lion) aren't able to pitch in.

But the Emperor is there. Never moves, never does anything physically... but always there. Unchanging, ever vigilant while existence swirls around him.
>>
>>44323352
Fund it.
>>
>>44315575
I'd dump most of the Horus Heresy shit they've released. Took a part of the lore that was mysterious and interesting and ruined it with a bunch of poor books.
>>
>>44318047
I mean... He's namefagging... He must be joking... Please be an elaborate plot to take us on the ruse cruise.
>>
>>44315575
Well I never really liked the Assassinorum. OP fluff fucks. Guess they're getting a stomping until they reach a proper power level for sneaky backstabbers.
>>
File: groundhog-day-memes-9.jpg (29 KB, 780x438) Image search: [Google]
groundhog-day-memes-9.jpg
29 KB, 780x438
>>44323185
>>44323301
>>44323418
Drawfags pls
>>
Enter 42nd millenium, resolve 13th crusade
>>
>>44315575
Female space marines.
>>
>>44320673
>>44320718
This is awesome and absolutely should happen.
>>
>>44315575
Take out Tau, Nids, Eldar (both kinds), Imperium, Necrons, Oldcrons, Chaos, Spess Mehrines, the Inquisition, The Warp, and all of the Black Library.

Then replace it with a setting that's not 100% shit. Literally anything else.
>>
>>44315939

>
Write out the iron men or just say it was necrons. Just say the technology got lost. is just take it as a given by now. Besides elder and Tau robots haven't turned on them. Maybe bring back a few imperial robots.

>implying Tau robots won't turn on them

>implying that won't be the next big thing, when their robots become infected with chaos, start tearing shit up, and become their own separate faction.

but no.
>>
>>44315575
Let time advance, it's not like GW are actually legally forced to change the name if it reaches 40101
Also add some more xeno factions because why not
>>
>>44315575
I'd change the Grey Knights over the top stuff.

I'd dial Tau back a bit, getting pretty sick of hearing about them and seeing multiple grey plastic gunlines every week.

I'd give Eldar hope for a future. Somewhere far, far, away perhaps in another galaxy.

Id make the Tyranid hive fleet hitting the galaxy just a small tendril, with the main fleet well outside the galaxy. This way theres the possibility of cutting of the tendril and saving the galaxy. (So Chaos can take it)

I'd make all the Primarchs dead for sure, except the Daemon Prince ones.

Id make easy access to the webway permanently just out of humanity's reach.

I'd make a lot more renegade Chapters. The Imperium is corrupt, bloated, and falling apart. Sometimes telling it to fuck off is the right thing to do. Renegades can still be good.
>>
>>44315575
campaign books go back to being events that players can participate in
>>
>>44316977
i vaguely recall a few events in timelines (possibly from BL novels) that extend into M42
>>
Remove autism.
>>
>>44328126
There would be nothing left, anon.
>>
>>44326754
>evil machine spirits AKA dark mechanicus gets its own codex.

its made of Tau robots, men of iron and even machines from unknown races.
>>
>>44326754
>Write out the iron men or just say it was necrons
on a similar note were chaos androids retconned into necrons like the digganob helper-outters?
>>
Replace the mankind with orks.
The imperium ov orks
The great git of orkyness (emperor)
Literally the exact same lore except with orks.
So 'Orus 'eresy, age of apostissy etc.
Sisters are just orks with wigs
The deptus mechanics (AdMech)
You get the idea
>>
Turn down the ridiculous amount of effort spent on melee combat and make the setting more firearm/general combat practicality focused. Don't get me wrong, I like over-the-top combat but seeing a group of superhuman killers wielding swords as well as mini rocket launchers just breaks suspension of disbelief for me.
>>
>>44328788
>suspension of disbelief
>40k
you're doing it wrong
>>
Move back too rogue trader days.
>Matt Ward now writes the fluff AND crunch
>>
>>44326640
Dank meme, friendo
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 800x590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 800x590
>>44317893
>going on 1d4chan
>ever
>>
File: Metal.jpg (71 KB, 770x641) Image search: [Google]
Metal.jpg
71 KB, 770x641
>>44315575
No more canonical omnicient narrator trying to tye it all together in a way that makes sense, is objectively true, and is readily available for wiki-consumption.

Back to the days of everything being given from the perspective of unreliable (usually brainwashed by imperial creed) narators, creating a beautiful clusterfuck that's as grimdark or sillymetal as you want/need to make "your dudes."

"Everything fits together if you look for all the easter eggs and wiki-hunt hard enough" works well enough for Disney's Marvel universe, but it's not the model that every fucking thing needs to follow (though this poison started infecting 40k long before that.)
>>
>>44326640
>Literally anything else
>laughingMLP
>laughingStarcraft
>laughingWarcraft

Ho boy.
>>
File: 1375578332070.jpg (53 KB, 640x438) Image search: [Google]
1375578332070.jpg
53 KB, 640x438
>>44315575
Remove all fantasy and go for hard-ish sci fi physics +aliens.

Very Babylon 5 I guess.

You can still have an imperium of man, but its more like in the traveller universe, where its an empire of businessmen and court-room politics. Religious fanatics would still exist, it just wouldn't be every single human person.

All alien races would get a realism face lift, and a well thought out backstory that could be sustainable, instead of constant endless war all the time. War gets boring as seen in WW1, and eventually people just sue for peace. Wars still happen, just not all the fucking time.

Tyranids would be everyone's worst fucking nightmare and exterminatus squads (of all civilized races) would still roam the galaxy searching for signs of nids or cultists.

Eldar and Imperium kill teams might cooperate on a covert op to root out cultists for example.

I'd need to re-think chaos. Creatures from some unthinkable dimension could still work, but the human ideas of pain, pleasure, change, pestilence would have to be replaced with entirely alien concepts that no one even understands. Chaos would appear out of nowhere, do something no one can work out (except maybe some high level FBI/inquisitor who knows how the Chaos work) and then disappear again, back to their unthinkable dimension, or their part of space.

If I can I would also re-balance all the codexes so the damn thing is actually even. With the codexes even, tactics would then become the deciding factor of a game, instead of "having the more OP list/codex" Army composition should still always be important, but excellent use of terrain and tactics could help you win even against an opponent who out-composed you.
>>
Move it into the 42nd millennium instead of being at 40999 forever, with noticeable things changing. Mark IX power armor, a new pattern of bolter and lasgun, new vehicles that either deviated greatly from the STC construct or else are all original.
>>
Second edition, third edition, necromunda, gorkamorka, BFG, inquisitor, and Deff Skwadron are the canon and everything else goes
>>
>>44315575

Throw it in the trash.
>>
>>44315575
Remove Abaddon, by way of Space Marines. Have the assorted chapters squabble prior to it, involving fighting between both minor and major chapters over both new and old strifes, only to tenuously pull together to defeat Abaddon but widen the cracks between them even further.

Make it a global event, having every faction generally involved, with Tau expanding into the Imperium, Chaos Warbands attacking across the universe, the Space Marines & Imperial forces actually banding together after internal strife, while the Necrons, Orkz and Tyranids enter a massive three-way fight that could spell doom should any side win.

Basically, it divides Chaos into an actual series of characters based around the 4 gods, includes all the major factions and has something happen for a change that actually heralds something other than endless doom and gloom.
>>
File: 1445401379684.jpg (218 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
1445401379684.jpg
218 KB, 800x1035
>>44315575
>Make Sisters of Battle cooler. One of their jobs is killing renegade Space Marines, because the Badab Rising proves that sometimes Astartes value each other over humankind.
>Chaos Marines confirmed to use clones. It just makes them crazy.
>Back to oldCrons, but keep that some Necron Lords still have shadows of their former personalities. Occasionally Tombworlds wake up without being contacted by a C'tan, and they can behave more like NewCrons. They're still all doomed to inevitably serve the C'tan though.
>Grey Knights *sometimes* kill all witnesses, not *always* kill all witnesses.
>>
File: noisemarinert.jpg (29 KB, 316x351) Image search: [Google]
noisemarinert.jpg
29 KB, 316x351
>>44315575
I'd bring it back to being a parody.
>>
>All the folks who want the Necrons to return to their 3th ED reincarnation

But...why?
>>
I, personally, think the setting is just retarded, and you'd have to turn all that Horus Heresy stuff back into Imperial propaganda, along with most of the other things commonly believed about the Emperor. Make it into vague legend since it's millennia ago. Much like Wolverine's history before the X-Men, 40k is instantly ruined when you put a fully explained canon backstory to the Emperor, 30k, and such. It would also help if there was an actual reason to think anyone would want to be allied with Chaos, besides "corruption" a.k.a. "the character's agency is null and void and just does what magic crazy voices tell them to do." No gifts don't count because time and again they are demonstrated to be no better than what non-Chaos factions can do, and in fact are quite a bit worse due to the drawbacks.

But all this is terrible advice because it would make the setting different than the hugely popular success that it is.
>>
>>44338195

Because the current lore is retarded.
>>
>>44336653
it sounds like you just want a Babylon 5 table top setting
>>
>>44338416
and the old lore was boring as shit, generic doomsday enemy that by all logic should have already won, Tyranids robot edition
>>
>>44338552

Boring > retarded by far, I don't know why you newcronfags are so stupid you use this same argument every time, as if that somehow dispelled the massive amounts of retardation.
>>
>>44315575
One single change: the Emperor is slowly, but without a doubt, getting better. It will take thousands upon thousands of years, but he will eventually regain his strength, wake up, and kick ass.

Sometime during his recovery, he is stable enough to be given a text-to-speech device, and not only do shenanigans ensue, but the plot fucking advances.
>>
>>44338416
>>44338584

How are they retarded?

Most of them didn't retain any damn identity and are just old crons under the command of their masters, who are more individual and can have different aims and beliefs, so they aren't just all kill-bots.
>>
>>44338539
Tbh I more want a Traveller universe type setting. Both are pretty close though. Either way I want diplomacy, tactical space combat, and kind-of realisitic sci fi, and operating with laser rifles.
>>
>>44338682
>How are they retarded?

I'm not surprised that you like them/fail to see this.
>>
>>44338134
There are already Chapters that do that anon, and they're way more effective than the bolter bitches.

Better idea would be to just chuck the Sisters altogether. Their fluff is ridiculous, and their entire purpose is trying to sell models to BDSM fetishists.
>>
>>44338704
So you can't justify calling them retarded?
>>
I'm not a fan of Newcrons, and I'd like the Tau to eat a little humble pie. Perhaps a little more emphasis on how "ALWAYS WAR" is less "Always War Everywhere" to "Always War Somewhere".

>Still butthurt that the Tau got to match the Tyranids' adaptability with technology *in the Tyranids own Codex*.
>>On top of getting curbstomped against them in my very first Warhammer 40,000 game; in retrospect, the other guy was a douche.
>>
>>44315575
Rollback to have more mystery and ambiguity.
Sick of everyone and everything being dragged out to wither and die in the bright light.
>>
>>44315575
I would retcon everything that occured after second edition.
>>
ITT
people who want to change 40k into something unrecognisabley different
>>
>>44338727
>if you don't humor my idiocy it means i'm right!

And you can't see why you're a retard.
>>
>>44338195
Personally prefer the silent marching death feel of the old one. Can't stop the advance of the machines.
Also not fond of the Egyptian stuff...
>>
>>44315575
Replace tau with squats, Emperor finished webway and vanished inside, Star Phantoms are now one of the original chapters.
>>
>>44339457
Well on the plus side there is the Destroyer cult subfaction that is mostly that.
>>
>>44315575
Have primarchs who are alive be seen doing shit
>reports of Russ appearing and being Wolfy with random factions before dissapearing to find what he's looking for, Morty/lorgar/everyone really getting up and trying to assrape a segmentum before getting bored
>acknowledge the fact that the imperium, while stagnant, gains and holds new worlds quite regularly And is less doomed for this obvious fact
>>
>>44315575
Remove Newcrons and Ward's Grey Knights.
Return to 3e versions instead.
>>
>>44315575
Remove Tau.
>>
>>44323301
Once the emperor took my lasgun , shot a tech priest and stared me in the eyes and said "no one will ever believe you"
>>
>>44315575
All Horus Heresy novels are non-canon.
>>
>>44316305
Meh, I prefer the Necrons with personality.
>>
>>44315575

Space Marine chapters now have 10-50 thousand marines or more instead of just a thousand.
>>
>>44340428
Necrons can stay with personalities, tyranids need to go back to having none
>>
>>44315575
Stop portraying the Emperor as a colossal failure. It's even a miracle he managed to unite Terra with how he's written now.

I get the whole "removed from humanity being a god", but just make him less of a retard.
>>
>>44336653
>War gets boring as seen in WW1, and eventually people just sue for peace.

I'm no historian, but I'm pretty certain people didn't want the war to end because they got bored of it.
>>
I'd make it so the plot can advance, using the eye of terror. The Eye of Terror in my canon would be like a pocket universe, with almost infinite potential for exploiting resources. Time would be only vaguely logical in the Eye of Terror: a force from Year Y might end up battling a force from Year Y+5 in Year Y-10000 over resources from an entirely different timeline. In this way, no matter how much the plot advances outside of the Eye, inside the eye, you'd always have an excuse to battle whatever faction vs whatever other faction, even if some of those factions don't currently exist in the larger metaplot.
>>
File: Slann_Mage_Priest_c.gif (37 KB, 268x428) Image search: [Google]
Slann_Mage_Priest_c.gif
37 KB, 268x428
Make the Tau more lucky or saved by strange events. Hit at the possibility, with the Imperium having their suspicions, of the existence of some Mysterious Benefactor behind the Tau.
>>
>>44321752
This is the most essential thing.
>>
>>44327622
The Eldar are fine. They've been "dying out" for 10,000 years now. You can give them hope by just curing their collective depression.
>>
>>44339683
That doesn't get rid of the silly lords who behave like eccentric humans and don't feel particularly threatening at all.
>>
>>44341247
Stolen for my RT game.
>>
>>44315994
They raid humans to make slaves of them and because they have delicious souls.
>>
>>44318550
>>44318587
This. Love everything about these ideas

>>44319379
40k End Times could be cool.

I'd add that Abbadon actually did in fact lose his arms, got them cut off by a fan favourite character, perhaps decided by vote or contest to gain attention.
I'd make the All Guardsmen Party canon, and I'd probably imply that a bunch of tg's favorite storytimes happened in canon.
>>
>>44316323
The naive sheltered worldview vibe you're giving off is triggering.

Different peoples cannot have an ultimate goal, they're all in competition with each other for the betterment of their own group.
>>
File: Squat.jpg (64 KB, 738x936) Image search: [Google]
Squat.jpg
64 KB, 738x936
>>44315575
More Space Dwarfs. Maybe Codex: Abhumans
>>
>>44343434

Different individuals in groups cannot have an ultimate goal, they're all in competition with each other for the betterment of themselves.
>>
>>44344068

Different organs in an individual cannot have an ultimate goal, they're all in competition with each other for the betterment of the body.
>>
>>44344103
The betterment of the body is the shared ultimate goal you fucking retard.
>>
File: 1345277921119.gif (1 MB, 245x118) Image search: [Google]
1345277921119.gif
1 MB, 245x118
>>44344130
They don't know that.
>>
>>44316323
Why should they fight for the galaxy? Why should they care about a spinning heap of burning plasma?
>>
>>44316323
But humans rule most of the galaxy. For the other races to cease opposing them and help them with their endeavors would mean to accept human dominance and effectively become vassal states who meekly accept the status quo which is massively in another group's favor. If anything, this move is less intelligent than the current wars.
>>
>>44344403
I don't follow 40k too closely, i thought tyranids controlled/consumed most of the galaxy?
>>
>>44315575

Bring back the living Primarchs, daemon or otherwise, and give guys with dead Primarchs some LoW equivalent.
>>
>>44344488
No, but there's an inconceivable shitton of nids outside the galaxy who may or may not be headed our way.
>>
File: SoundOfChaos.png (643 KB, 1433x686) Image search: [Google]
SoundOfChaos.png
643 KB, 1433x686
>>44338137
It was more fun when it was a bit more tongue in cheek
>>
>>44315575
>What would you rewrite/outright change about 40k canon?
That's really not a question you should ask of me unless you've got a lot of time to spare.

In summary, though

Oldcrons > Newcrons. You can diversify oldcrons a bit, but newcrons are just retarded. See pdf for further details

Make Tau the good guys they were originally designed to be, but make it so they only survive because they're small and isolated. When they get seriously involved with rest of the galaxy they get their shit stomped and only survive through huge numbers of last-minute-heroic-sacrifices because the rest of the galaxy has better things to do. That way, you can have both the Tau as good guys and retain the grimdark setting. Also, clarify that their technology is not superior to the imperium's - the height of mankind's technology during the Dark Age of Technology makes it look like the Tau are still running around with pointy sticks. Presently the imperium is able to equip its elite units with much more sophisticated technology, it just finds it more economic to send in wave after wave of cannon fodder.

also, everything said by >>44338350
Although personally I think its a little late to retcon the entirety of the Horus heresy series, I think settling once and for all what the Emperor was really like was a huge mistake on the part of GW (big surprise there). The setting is only interesting when you can ask: is this the best humanity can do under the circumstances of a cruel universe, or are they being held back by their ideology? And thus you have to have the debate of whether the Emperor was a warlord who managed to enslave humanity in a totalitarian theocracy, or whether he really was the saviour of mankind and the only defence against the victory of chaos.
>>
File: Necrons.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Necrons.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44348709
you know, I actually thought to myself 'don't forget to attach the pdf'. Figures.
>>
>>44348709
>>44348725
>autism
>>
File: WhereDoYouThinkYouAre.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
WhereDoYouThinkYouAre.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>44348930
>comes to /tg/
>comes to a thread where the topic is reworking warhammer fluff
>called someone an autist for talking at length about reworking warhammer fluff
really?
>>
>>44349008
Yes
>>
>>44349240
I'd like to say you don't belong on /tg/, but on the other hand you are clearly massively autistic so I guess you meet the criteria.
>>
>>44349280
Merry christmas
>>
I'd delete it.
>>
>>44349310
Merry Christmas to you, anon, and a happy new year
>>
>>44348709
>>44348725

I'd also tidy up the lore for the Dark Age of Technology and Age of Strife. I think the best way to reconcile everything is that mankind started getting more an more psykers popping up as the population expanded and random mutations became more common (and also possibly a bit to do with how humans used warp travel and the creation of navigators, but keep that vague). This destabilised society, which hitherto had been essentially like us in that they didn't believe in magic. The sudden explosion in the psyker population also destabilised the warp, causing warp storms. When humans started fighting each other, their AIs and robots got drawn into the conflicts, being used by the human factions against each other. Finally the AIs got twisted into something so destructive by the repeated attempts to build more lethal weapons that they were a danger to everyone and had to be got rid of entirely. Hence that old stuff about the iron men etc.

Also, the fall of the eldar and the creation of the eye of terror was what pushed everything over the edge and really got the warp storms and the age of strife going.
>>
>>44316305
>make the world Nobledark
>lets make the good faction smaller, and add another boring implacable spoopy monster race

I don't share your opinions, and in fact, dis like them
>>
OP here.

Thank you guys so much for such a fun thread.
>>
Revive and make the Emperor and the Adeptus Custodes a playable faction.
>>
>>44315575
Have the empire collapse, have the Astartes hold up in their home systems as bastions of humanity. have the inquisition collapse and the ecclesiarchy reform back to the old ways and have the Admech forgeworlds and other remnants return to the true path of science, and development. have them bust their asses to find a way to use the eldar webway. Reunite the imperium bit by bit under the old ways.
>>
>>44327939
i think some of the ciaphias cain stories are set in m42 or at least cain died in m42.
>>
>>44315575
get rid of the citizens aren't allowed to know about chaos shit all it does is cause people to shit all over anything fun with hur dur how do you know about chaos citizen
>>
>>44320673
>>44320718
Definitely want to hear more about this
>>
Why are so many people obsessed with plot advancement? 40k isn't a story, it's a setting. Stories within the setting can advance, but asking why the 40k universe as a whole isn't particularly going anywhere is a bit like asking why there wasn't a nuclear war at the end of The Godfather, and why the USA still exists much as it did at the beginning of the story without any presidential coups or anything. Except even more retarded because the USA is only 200 years old whereas the Imperium has survived for ten millennia.
>>
>>44355434

What old ways? I don't think you'd have an ecclessiarchy if they reformed back to 'Yep, despite all evidence to the contrary there is no gods'
>>
>>44322434
Dan Abnett and Sandy Mitchell are the best thing to have happened to 40k. Getting rid of them would be a sin.
>>
>>44322089
pretty much this. Warhammer, fantasy and 40k, was at its best around 2003/4. All the quirks and stupid shit had been ironed out and it was something more than just the insane parody universe that it started out as, while not loosing all of the original feel. Things started going to shit after '06.
>>
>>44339396

>What would you rewrite/outright change about 40k canon?

Captain Obvious you have come to us in our hour of need
>>
>>44318550
>The Emperor truly did die, but due to the mass sacrifices of psyker souls to keep the Astronomicon, where his soul is tethered in the warp, active
How do you know that isn't already the case? I mean, the high Lords of Terra say that the Emperor is still conscious, if immobile, but we only have their word for it. Like the chaos guys say, he could just be a rotting husk kept in a twisted parody of life to be used as a puppet.

Essentially what I'm saying is Warhammer 40k was never a parody of Tolkein, or Dune, or Starship Troopers - it was Weekend at Bernie's all along.
>>
>>44348709
>Good guys they were supposed to be

You can't just call an entire facton good. There is no such thing as a "good" or "evil" faction in 40k and I would prefer to see all these different shades of gray rather then black and dark gray with a huge white blip in the middle.
>>
>>44359338
>There is no such thing as a "good" or "evil" faction
Which is what made Tau special. Or used to at any rate. Besides, there aren't many shades of grey with Tyranids, for example. Or Dark Eldar.
>>
Tzeentch being secretly behind everything even slightly ambiguous.
>>
>>44360111
>>44359338
>>44348709
actually, you know what would be fun: seeing how far the Tau are able to stick to their goodness in situations where they're confronted with the insane cruelty of the wider galaxy.

kind of like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YyL7X4CWw

except that in 40k you can have them stick to their principles and end up getting all killed.
>>
Good thread.
>>
>>44323026
No one said shit about a boys club you paranoid tumblrina.

Fuck off.
>>
>>44316323
Okay I get the suggestions to turn down the grimdark but the setting is literally called Warhammer. Everyone fighting everyone is a prerequisite.
>>
>>44320673
>>44320718
>My models win and my older brother's models lose: the fanfiction

This is why every idea to advance the setting turns out retarded.
>>
>>44315939
>Write out the iron men or just say it was necrons. Just say the technology got lost. is just take it as a given by now. Besides elder and Tau robots haven't turned on them. Maybe bring back a few imperial robots.

Tau machines aren't as intelligent as Dark Age AI, and Eldar don't use robots of any kind; everything they have is living in some way.
>>
File: byzantine_empire_.png (47 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
byzantine_empire_.png
47 KB, 900x506
I'd like more things (fluff, units, stories) from the Nova Terra Interregnum, the time when the Imperium was divided in two.
>>
>>44315575
I would refocus the lore. Less Imperium vs everyone, more everyone vs everyone. I want more lore about Xenos fighting chaos and Xenos fighting Xenos.
Also, Chaos is no longer the arbitrary "greatest threat." They're up there, but below Tyranids and maybe Necrons.
>>
>>44348725
>12 pages of Necron lore
You have way, way too much time on your hands.
But I approve.
>>
File: BlackLegion.jpg (208 KB, 600x1100) Image search: [Google]
BlackLegion.jpg
208 KB, 600x1100
>>44315575
Overhaul Chaos in order to make it less generic evil.

>Give the Chaos gods a greater focus on the wide variety of aspects they encompass.
>>Khornates have a strange honor code, such as not slaying worthless civilians (but some may take them as slaves; others may still kill them, but are looked down upon as pathetic for doing so), higher-ranking cultists/CSMs being capable battlefield tacticians instead of mindless face-wall-bashers.
>>Slaaneshis have a greater emphasis on perfection and art, as opposed to almost exclusively focusing on excess/pleasure and they-totally-love-sex-but-we're-now-allowed-to-say-it. Many of their followers spend long portions of their lives perfecting their professions, be it swordsmanship, culinary work, painting, or what have you. Many aim to rise to high ranks in their societies and become idols, and use that influence to covertly convert people to Slaanesh.
>>Don't really have much input on Nurgle and Tzeentch.

>Either rewrite the backgrounds of some established characters, or create new characters where their motivation for turning to Chaos isn't almost universally "I hate the Imperium"; give more variety for their reasons of conversion.

>Give more Chaos characters clarity of thought and capability of logic. They're still evil and under the influence, but don't constantly turn into "WARGABLARGARG!" types, because that's fucking dull and doesn't particularly leave much room for "Forge Your Narrative!"
>>
File: 1450586621105.jpg (73 KB, 421x480) Image search: [Google]
1450586621105.jpg
73 KB, 421x480
>>44348725
Nice.
>>
delete nemesis dreadknights entirely
>>
>>44338134
>>Grey Knights *sometimes* kill all witnesses, not *always* kill all witnesses.
This is already the case.
>>
>>44365901

You should read Betrayer
>>
>>44315575

So many things.

-Rewrite the DA. Make them into the Astartes equivalent of the Inquisition, where the hunt isn't just for the Fallen, but for all fallen Astartes.

-Pin the Heresy on one of the missing Primarchs. Have Horus be his successor, and dial back Horus being the best Primarch at everything.

-Have conflict between the way Mars and Earth operates and view their role be a driving theme.
>>
>>44340322

Underrated post.
>>
>>44364226
The only people who lose in my scenario is the Tau, because they don't belong in 40k to begin with. Everybody else sorta wins, but sorta loses.
>>
>>44370472
>-Rewrite the DA. Make them into the Astartes equivalent of the Inquisition, where the hunt isn't just for the Fallen, but for all fallen Astartes.

Minotaurs did it.

Horus isn't the best at everything.

>-Have conflict between the way Mars and Earth operates and view their role be a driving theme.

Literally already is a thing.

Seems to me like you don't know jack shit.
>>
File: Capture.png (18 KB, 695x156) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18 KB, 695x156
>>44370362
I'm trying to find the story that demonstrates this, but it isn't in the Grey Knight codex itself and I can't be assed to keep searching.

Essentially though, in one of the more recent/"current" conflicts, the Grey Knights deploy to assist guardsmen in order to stop Chaos from using some cuhrazee artifact. Once the artifact is destroyed/stopped/whatever, the Grey Knights then depart and leave the guardsmen to continue fighting. IIRC, this is during the 13th Black Crusade. I distinctly remember being surprised that they just left, without mindwipe/teamkilling, since I thought they always did that. There wasn't even a mention of the Grey Knights being prepared to come back at the fight's conclusion to exterminate them.

Annnnd I found it. The 7E 40k Rulebook, The Pandorax Incursion. Here's the blip in question.
>>
>>44370869
>mindwiping/killing the guys holding the line in the middle of a black crusade

That'd be retarded. That's like drying off the windshield of your car with a towel while your hose is still pointed at the thing.
>>
>>44316305
>Bring back a fucking Primarch or two, daemonic or otherwise.
Like a sign from one of the not confirmed dead ones that they're still around, but busy.

What I want in a similar vein is at least one chapter each from loyal remnants of the traitor legions. I know there's a few, I just want a few more.
>>
>>44370899
All those guardsmen are doing now is cleanup. Previous examples of G Knight shenningans suggest they'd just exterminatus the planet to quicken that "clean up" and keep the secret.

But the point remains that they did not kill them. They did not mindwipe them. They are not jamming their ships from sending out messages of the battle to other Cadians. They are not janitors whose last shift ends with the noose. All in point, it is an example that
>Grey Knights *sometimes* kill all witnesses, not *always* kill all witnesses.

Personally though, in older lore especially and rereemphasised in the GKnight Codex, they put witnesses to death due to "exposure to chaos." When it comes to Cadia and Cadians, there isn't a point in trying to hide it.
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.