[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ars Magica
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: arstitle.jpg (45 KB, 360x466) Image search: [Google]
arstitle.jpg
45 KB, 360x466
So, I'm thinking of picking up Ars Magica on the basis that it supposedly has the best magic system ever written, and it was the system that inspired M:tA, which I enjoyed.

That said, I don't know that much about it beyond you play as wizards in wizard towers doing wizard shit and playing politics in fantasy medieval Europe.

What am I in for, what should I expect, and what else can you tell me?
>>
>>44315426
What is the magic system like in this game? I think I'll look up a copy of the PDF, but if anyone would be kind enough to give me a brief description, to see if I'd even be interested, I would appreciate it.
>>
The setting is where certain elements of the WoD got their start. Namely the douchebag Tremere of VtM and the hermetics of MtA, both of whom were under one Order of Hermes originally. This is also Rein (splat) Hagen's first "look at all the factions!" game, as the Houses of Hermes come from differing origins and are united in the Dark Ages in the face of extinction as Christianity rises in power. Forward to the 1200s as their fears are being realized, and the various Magi worry that even their traditional isolation won't be enough to preserve the Order or their lives.

You'll see a lot of parallels to the early WoD in the Houses of Hermes. What remains distinct are Ars Magica's unusual campaign style, including both the seasonal study framework and the Troupe style that results, and the magic system.

The magic system is all skill-based, but unlike the so-called schools of magic seen in D&D, the magic of the Hermetics is based on five verbs and ten nouns, all rendered in vaguely accurate Latin (at least in later editions; it was a bit doggy in earlier runs). Those fifteen "skills" (and two others for defense and political contests) are what makes a Magus a Magus, and each Magus chooses to generalize or specialize as he or she wills. Some of that process of choice is, or can be, driven by the House a Magus belongs to, but that is not mandatory.
>>
>>44315937
The verbs are, in English: Create, Destroy, Change, Control, and Detect.
The nouns are: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Body, Mind, Illusion, Plant, Animal. and Power.

Spells are typically one noun and one verb, expressed at a power/skill level. Some spells will have more than one noun or verb, making them harder to cast and research.
>>
>>44316003
A simple spell of fire lighting large enough to get a campfire going is Creo Ignem (Create Fire) at 5 or so. Add the two skills and roll the d10 to beat that number. By comparison, a proper Fireball is more like CrIg25.
>>
>>44316097
The die roll has, in some editions, included a botch mechanic. I'm not sure what the current edition does, as my experience was mostly with 3rd, twenty years ago.
>>
The Houses all came from slightly (or vastly, on some cases) different traditions across Europe, and each House, even centuries later, retains some of its original distinctions. These distinctions started out pretty basic in the first three editions and have grown, in some cases, into "what are these guys even doing here?" differences in 4th and later. This is most evident in two surviving Houses and one supposedly extinct one. The Bjornaer are Germanic shapeshifters and are only barely Hermetic in practice, while the Merinita come from a Fae tradition and can do things the other Houses cannot. The exiles and supposedly extinct House came from a Druidic tradition and practiced, supposedly, blood magic that was increasingly hard to hide within the secrecy of the Order. Their name is rarely spoken. The few who repented of those practices, as well as the occasional oddball hedge witch who passes muster are included in the dismissively named House Ex Miscellania.

Then there are the Tremere. Rising from one of a pair of apprentices of the same primal Magus, the Tremere embody secrecy for its own sake, and for the sake of amassing personal power in the mundane world. By the timeframe of the game they are constantly on the brink of expulsion for their shenanigans, are widely suspected of having embraced vampirism, and frequently use their talent at arcane dueling (one of those other two skills) to squash any attempts to investigate them. Their brother House, the Tytalus, are pursuers of personal excellence and are highly competitive individually, but rarely express any group goals, unlike the highly clannish Tremere.

The lab rats, couriers, fire wizards, Faces, and inquisitors round out the Order of the 1200s.
>>
Why dont some archmages just drop a meteor on the vatican?
>>
>>44316541
Forgot the tool users (House Verditius) and the weirdo Esoterics (Criamon)
Lab rats (Bonisagus)
Couriers (Mercere)
Fire wizards (Flambeau)
Faces (Jerbiton)
inquisitors (Guernicus)
>>
>>44316628
Because they can't. The power of True Faith is mysterious to the Order, though it shares some structures with Hermetic Magic. The Vatican is protected by Divine Artists of the True Faith.
>>
>>44316628
>>44316683
Also, being that obvious would begin the Witch Hunt. By the timeframe of the game the Inquisition is looking for new targets. Dropping a rock on the Vatican would be the death sentence for every Magus, hedge witch, and poor soul with a wandering eye in all of Europe.
>>
stop making this thread
>>
>>44316541
>>44316639

While I like the system, I dont get the clans.
I only have the last Edition, so I dont know if there were more developped in older versions, but after reading the fluff section of this Ed. I just wonder. why the hell do they waste some pages to talk about people with silly names?
A Clan gives you an advantage and a weakness but other than that?
If I ever play it, I think that I will just drop the Clans.
>>
>>44322539
The main book probably doesn't differentiate them enough. I think 4th is where they were mechanically distinct. Aside from that, they are largely a roleplaying choice, Nothing wrong with that.

>>44321602
Someone asked, someone answered. On topic, even if you aren't getting a free PDF out of it.
>>
>>44322539
Since it is intended that every player's main character is a magus, the Houses are basically character templates to help players create diverse wizards.

Players are also intended to have more than one PC. In the archetypical gaming session, 1 or 2 players play their magi while the rest of players play their Companions and grogs.
>>
>>44323918
>even if you aren't getting a free PDF out of it.

But Atlas Games does give Ars Magica 4th Edition away for free as a PDF.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.