[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Undead Paladins
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 19
File: skeleton knight.jpg (66 KB, 825x1100) Image search: [Google]
skeleton knight.jpg
66 KB, 825x1100
Just curious, but how would someone go about creating an undead paladin for a game session? It seems most settings make them almost impossible.
>>
>>44315310

Depends on the setting and the deity.

If it's a setting where positive energy harms the undead, then the paladin would have issues. If the deity hates the undead unreasoningly, then the paladin would have issues.

If neither of those things are true, so long as the paladin is sentient and faithful enough, why not?
>>
>>44315497
Well, paladin could just get brought back to life to continue.
>>
A undead paladin seeking justice on his murderer so he can rest. I like it.
>>
File: Undead Paladin.jpg (242 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
Undead Paladin.jpg
242 KB, 849x1200
Instead of the usual methods of making the Undead, have it be sheer force of will. The Paladin simply isn't done.

And because of that his body wont stop moving even after his heart has stopped beating.
>>
He used to worship Orcus, but then accidentally put on a Helm of Opposite Alignment?

Works fine for me, at least.
>>
>>44316089
What about a paladin that was turned undead not by their choice and is still 100% faithful to their lawful good alignment?
>>
>>44316370

It is possible. I think some undead monster descriptions specifically mention that it is allowed, though I can't recall which. Regardless, the MM also says that even "always evil" doesn't really mean "always", it just means "almost always except for a few rare exceptions".

There was a SUCCUBUS paladin statted on WotC's website, so an undead one is not far-fetched.
>>
File: ModernDaemonologist.jpg (52 KB, 530x750) Image search: [Google]
ModernDaemonologist.jpg
52 KB, 530x750
Backstory::

Necromancer: "Foolish crusader! My traps have decimated your pitiful party! You did not even make it to my throne room. I must say I am disappointed, 'Paladin'. I expected more of a fight out of you lot."

Paladin: "I'll... Never...Give..." *crack*

Necromancer: "There's a good lad. Only human. But soon you shall be so much more. And serve a greater purpose... MY purpose."

Paladin: "[Insert Diety Here]...will not let... you take me...I am his/hers."

Necromancer: "Hah! I will take your will from him/her just as easily as I take your life from you."

Paladin: "You will fail-"

Necromancer: *Execution Spell*

Necromancer: "What's that? I'm sorry, I think you're trying to say something all brave or whatever but I can't hear you over how dead you are, lil' bitch."

Necromancer: *Props up Paladin like a mannequin and moves corpse-jaw* "ooh, you sexy roguish necromancer you'll never beat me cuz i'm so awesome and brave and filled with holy priest-cum" "HAH!" *tosses corpse to the ground*

Necromancer's Assistant: "You make for a fine puppeteer, milord"

Necromancer: "Stop kissing ass, Jenrich. The show's not even started. I shall make this one speak praises of me to put your sniveling brown-nosing to shame." *Begins Necromantic Chanting*

Necromancer's Assistant: "He shall make a worthy addition to our army, milord."

Necromancer: "Ten times more useful than you, you groveling cur! I should make him my right hand and feed you to the Ghasts! Watch and learn you useless dimwit! I've completed the Greater Undead spell, he has returned to this mortal coil with all of his mental faculties intact. Now I shall cast the spell that binds his will to mine! Then he shall serve me far greater than you ever did you meaningless maggot!"

Necromancer's Assistant: [Softly Utters a Counterspell under his breath]
>>
>>44316519
I love it.
>>
>>44315310
He REALLY fucked up using Turn Undead.

I remember an old thread with a skelly paladin that couldn't turn undead without exploding (rest of the channeling divine power bits just made him smoke a little) so he got all his bones spiked and silvered and turned undead, sending armor plate and spiky silver bones everywhere, then reassembled himself elsewhere.
>>
In my setting, undead aren't inherently evil. Most people become undead eventually, when their bones pass through the earth and into the underworld, where they wake up to serve the gods as skeletons.

When mortals and other things create undead, they crudely recreate an approximation of this process, resulting in undead that are unstable and vulnerable to positive energy. This is seen as trespassing on divine domain, robbing the gods of servants and disrespecting the dead, so most cultures have a problem with it, even if it's not evil per se. For that same reason, many cultures also have taboos against cremation or damaging the bones, and will pin broken bones back together before burying a body.

Sometimes, when the gods need to get something done, they equip a savvy-seeming dead man with various gear from the past and future and push him up to the surface, as this is quite a bit easier than actually breaking past the barrier to communicate directly with a mortal. The skeleton emerges aboveground, confused yet filled with a strong but vague sense of purpose (crossing the barrier tends to take a toll on one's memories.)

These questing undead are known in most places, and considered a good or neutral omen. Some cultures have a tradition of decorating these holy revenants with gold jewelry and jewels when they pass, as a show of obsequience to the gods. They often attract a retinue of knights, holy warriors, glory-seekers and ascetics seeking to play a part in the revenant's fated quest.
>>
>>44315310
Ghost paladin. Ghosts can be whatever alignment and faith they were in life. Paladins tend to die with unfinished business in the form of justice left undone. It seems natural to me.
>>
File: undeadsaint.jpg (346 KB, 1200x1819) Image search: [Google]
undeadsaint.jpg
346 KB, 1200x1819
Necromancer: "Now, you see! He is mine! Body and Soul! Tell me, 'Paladin'. How does your new form feel? Do you feel wretched? Do you feel like the abomination you are?"

Paladin: [Successful Knowledge:Religion and Spellcraft checks. Knows the Control Spell failed] "I feel stronger"

Necromancer: "Hah! You see Jenrich you pathetic whelp! This one exceeds you in every way! Now, 'Paladin', what do you think of your new lord, NO your new Master- NO, Your new GOD?!"

Paladin: "Smashing"

Necromancer: "Careful, love. You're beginning to sound like this worthless one here. In fact... I'd say you were more than his match." *Eyes Apprentice menacingly* "What would you say if I were to order you to kill this spineless coward to prove your usefulness to me?"

Paladin: "Smite Evil"

Necromancer: "Those aren't the words I'd use but I certainly appreciate your spiri-FUCK"

Paladin: "Smite Evil"

Necromancer: "Off me you uneducated swi-"

Paladin: "Smite. Evil." *Execution*

Necromancer's Assistant: "Well done, Paladin. I was more than tired of this one's egomania."

Paladin: *Turns to Jenrich*

Necromancer's Assistant: "No. Wait. You saw I-I-I- let you have your will! I gave you your freedom! You live again because of me!"

Paladin: "Much obliged, heathen."

Necromancer's Assistant: "No wait! I command you to OBEY" *Attempts to Control Undead*

Paladin: *Nonplussed* "Nothing Personal, 'Jenrich'. Just following my 'Master's last order, 'spineless coward'."

Necromancer's Assistant: "No, wait, please! I can make you stronger! Better! I can improve you! What do you say to that!?"

Paladin: "Listen...shhhh...listen....shh..." *leans in close*

Assistant: *leans in close, shaking*

Paladin: "......lil' bitch" *smites evil*

::Paladin then returned to the Order, Necromancer Heads in tow. He refused magical healing of his condition, claiming his undead status gave him greater resilience against the weapons of the enemy.
>>
>>44315310
Even in death, I still serve
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 201x251
>>
>>44316891
My sugar bowl has been carried off by extremely motivated ants. Asshole.
>>
File: 1445688524379.png (287 KB, 540x489) Image search: [Google]
1445688524379.png
287 KB, 540x489
>>44315310
>>
>>44316010
Revenants already exist in D&D
>>
File: 1442022365955.jpg (98 KB, 457x850) Image search: [Google]
1442022365955.jpg
98 KB, 457x850
>>44316519
I have found my next character.
>>
>>44316413
Didn't that one get hit by a helm of opposite alignment and also gets hit by every alignment targeting spell?
>>
>>44315310
>>44316832
There was a Weis and Hickman series with reasonably decent elemental theming and paladins as a thing.
One of the interesting bits is the test for becoming a Dominion Knight involved transfiguration into an element and sometimes people didn't survive.
One dude in particular ended up having a strong enough will but not a strong enough body, so he technically passed but died, so the magic knighting rock made him the Knight of Ghosts, charged with guarding against weird spirity stuff and laying the unquiet dead to rest.
Was pretty cool back in the day.
>>
>>44317038

Yeah, that's right. She counts as both Chaotic and Evil because of her subtypes, and Lawful and Good because that's her actual alignment. Its trippy.
>>
>>44316839
what if being undead be against the tenets of his chosen deity/order?
>>
>>44317508
Then it's PELORU AKBAR time, I guess?
>>
>>44315497
What if the paladin could still channel positive energy to heal others but it harms themselves in the process. Martyrdom in short.
>>
Is it possible a deity may turn a follower undead in a D&D setting as some sort of punishment and they could only rest after they defeated the BBEG? I'm thinking something like Sir Daniel Fortesque from MediEvil as a reference point
>>
>>44315497
Or the Paladin simply doesn't give a fuck. You can't keep a good man down in the underworld.
>>
Has anyone actually used an undead paladin (or just an undead with high moral fiber) in a game before? I'm interested in the various ways people have gone about this.
>>
>>44315310

I played this once. It wasn't D&D so he wasn't an actual Paladin, but an old, just and righteous knight who was /rekt by a Necromancer and raised, but retained his free will out of sheer determination and will. He refused to believe he was undead, and just continued to live in the past, half aware of what was happening as talking to everyone like they were people he once knew and referong to past events like they were happening now. It was wicked awesome, especially when he could later manifest divine powers through his undying devotion despite undead being an anathema to his gods.
>>
>>44315310
I'm playing one currently in PF

Basically he swore an oath on his deathbed, and by that oath, he rised again to fight off an evil Lich that reappeared on the land
>>
>>44317720
There's a 3.5 PRC that's specifically for undead who have been freed from the control of the person who raised them, it's a 3 level PRC that lets them remember their feats/skill points/class levels. I'll try and find it.
>>
>>44320844
https://tools.rem.uz/classes/emancipated-spawn/

Here it is. My mistake, was 3.0.
>>
>>44320844
Is there anything in 5e that could make this work without major DM finagling?
>>
>>44320886
Nothing in 5e works without major DM finagling, the edition is a wall of "I dunno, ask your DM."
>>
>>44316055
revenant?
>>
I think the best way to go about this is as someone else said 'he just isnt done', for 5th i could see some other cool ideas, an oath of ancients paladin rising as the sacred grove he's buried in is threatened, or an oath of vengeance paladin waking up to expell grave robbers from his crypt.
>>
File: Ghostwalk.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ghostwalk.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44315310
Ghostwalk Campaign Setting In D&D would allow it.

It was a Very Late release in the 3.5 era of D&D right before the "Revision" to 4.0. It's Overlooked often but it's a neat campaign setting and has a few options that would apply to an Undead Pally. Such as a corporeal ghost.
In Ghostwalk there is a defined line between Those who have not passed on and the D&D monster "Ghosts" that are vengeful hate filled monstrosities.

I've Included the .pdf so you don't even need to go looking. Take a Look.
>>
The 2nd ed. Requiem boxed set had rules for converting characters to undead. By that set a paladin loses their saving throw bonuses and their ability to detect evil, and their ability to cure disease and wounds are converted to abilities to cause them. They retain the ability to turn undead and cast clerical spells if they were high enough level.

They also retain their aura of protection and ability to use holy swords for as long as they remain Lawful Good. As undead by the Requiem set inevitably drift towards chaotic and evil until they lose themselves it's likely these abilities won't last, but by that token a paladin has another subtle advantage in the system; as were originally the furthest they could possibly be from corruption, they will have the most time before they lose themselves.
>>
File: I am not done.jpg (130 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
I am not done.jpg
130 KB, 600x750
>>
File: cool skeleton.gif (283 KB, 150x135) Image search: [Google]
cool skeleton.gif
283 KB, 150x135
>>44321070
>A recently turned paladin knows it's only a matter of time before they fall from grace
>Resigns themselves to preforming as much good as they possibly can with what little time they have
>Looks for any opportunity they can go out with a blaze of glory and cause the most possible damage as a final sacrifice
I like it.
>>
>>44321054
>Tangent
Hey what the heck is the world of Ghost Walk named? Other then just saying Ghostwalk. I see a lot of country names but no world name.
>>
File: 1446131809155.png (55 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1446131809155.png
55 KB, 512x512
>>44315310
Pic related, except with an undead.
>>
>>44321142
>DEEPEST LORE
The central locale for the Ghostwalk setting is a city called Manifest, a mausoleum city built atop a geological feature known as the Well of Souls which leads the spirits of the departed on to the True Afterlife. In the immediate surroundings of the city of Manifest, the ghosts of the dead may cross the barrier into the land of the living and interact with their loved ones as translucent beings forged of ectoplasm, their ghost bodies marked by whatever injuries killed them and often driven by some craving for some aspect of the living world, such as music or food. A manifested ghost may fairly easily be returned to his body by resurrection magic and so in the City of Manifest one may die a great many times and be returned to his body with no harmful side effects. The one danger in exploring the other side of death as a ghost is the Calling, an unshakable urge that overcomes ghosts at some point in their unlife that drives them to forsake the world and pass into the True Afterlife. Such a transition is permanent and marks the end of a character
>>
>>44320946
>>44321113
Revenants are fun. By 2E rules characters of exceptional body and mind who died a violent death had a 5-10% chance to rise as a revenant and seek vengeance on their killers. Those of extroardinary mental prowess could even shift at will into any freshly killed corpse. Even if the revenant lacks its original body, the the killer will always see it as the person they killed.
>>
>tfw playing Lawful Good vampire paladin
>>
Is it weird that I just adore the concept of a skelebro paladin? I've always loved exceptionally moral undead characters so an undead paladin pushes all the right buttons for me. The very concept being a near oxymoron just seems extremely interesting to me.
>>
>>44316832
Just needs a sword and armour with ghost touch enchantment so he can wield them.

Two for one, both undead Palladin and also haunted armour.
>>
Alright, I confess.
I reall want to try playing an undead character, but my usual DM didn't allow it due to undead being unbalanced and not playadble as a character.
I wanted to try it, because I read Skulduggery Pleasant when I was young.

I think I *might* have a chance on our newest quest, played on 3.5 with another DM. I'm playing a paladin, who unfortunately serves a god who dislikes undead.
I don't want to shoehorn my idea to the DM, but it's still nagging in the back of my head.

Since we're on the topic, is it alright if I tell you about our latest session? The DM made one session ''filler season focused on Paladin Anon's story, also with a bigger budget''.
>>
>>44315310
In 4E, a Revenant is basically someone brought back to life and given a new body, I think by a deity (or that's at least one of the options if not it entirely). Getting chosen by a god to come back and being chosen by a god to become a paladin aren't all that different. They could literally bring you back just for that purpose.
I actually made a Revenant Avenger once for that exact purpose- brought back to life by the Raven Queen to be one of her weapons in the cleansing of the undead.
>>
File: Sir_daniel_fortesque.jpg (212 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Sir_daniel_fortesque.jpg
212 KB, 1600x1200
>>44315310
Steal this guy's backstory.
>>
>>44321869
OP here, I actually mentioned Sir Dan the Man earlier. I love the idea of a Paladin cursed with an unnatural life by his deity because of an act of cowardice (something like his order getting decimated by the BBEG and he's the lone survivor because he hid) and can only find rest until he avenges their deaths. Maybe have actually become a far more competent Paladin because of it since he's extremely regretful for his actions.
>>
>>44315310
Kind of off topic, but undead related. I made a lich who has spent his time reading romantic stories and writings about love. He wants to go on "romantic" journeys to get inspiration to write his own novel, and he wants to help bring love to the world. He's a pacifist by nature.
>>
File: don quixote.jpg (40 KB, 330x600) Image search: [Google]
don quixote.jpg
40 KB, 330x600
>>44321993
>lich
At least he got the right bodybuild.
>>
>>44317038
>Didn't that one get hit by a helm of opposite alignment
No

>and also gets hit by every alignment targeting spell?
Yes
>>
>>44321821
>because I read Skulduggery Pleasant
oh look, I'm not the only one who read that piece of garbage.
>>
Awakened Skeleton/Object/Wood/Grass can multiclass into Paladin.
>>
>>44322267
Please, have mercy. I was young and stupid enough to read Darren Shan.
>>
>>44316839
>Paladin: "Listen...shhhh...listen....shh..." *leans in close*
>Assistant: *leans in close, shaking*
Paladin: Nothin personnel... kid.
>>
I once DM'd a session where my players were investigating a disturbance at the local graveyard. Turned out a bunch of Paladins had been brought back, but they were undead. They also happened to be under a heavy illusion that made all undead seem living and vice versa. When the party finally convinced them that they were actually the undead ones, the Paladins agreed to be burned to ashes in a pyre.
>>
>>44320946
Yeah, but not for revenge or anything of the sort. Then when their task is done, the body finally stops moving.
>>
>>44321993
I'm DMing thus guy's character, for a campaign that will be starting soon. Figuring out how to make the character not uber broken at start was fun. For anyone who wants to know, I made a lot of the lich's abilities and natural powers really low at first, with each level until 11 giving him more of the powers a lich normally has.
>>
This is the story of a character I made.

>Evil Necromancer attacks down
>Uses the town's own graveyard to raise an army
>Skeletons and Zombies causing chaos across the village
>One skeleton walks by a Temple, and stops, and stares
>Stares
>Keeps staring. Chaos erupting all around it.
>Walks inside.
>Villagers hiding in the church freak out
>Skeleton doesn't attack, just looks up at the Church
>long silence
>Skeleton sits down to the side
>villagers confused
>other undead come in and kill everyone.
>Skeleton just sits
>Church covered in blood of innocents
>Skeleton sits
>Hours later, Necromancer and heroes have stand off in church
>skeleton just sits, unmoving
>The heroes start getting killed, at the last moment, the last standing hero kills the necromancer, before also dying
>everyone's dead
>Skeleton just sits

The village burns down, the church is mostly destroyed, full of dead bodies, and the skeleton just sits there.

Suddenly, the skeleton has a flashback. Not to a time, place, or of people. A flashback to a feeling the skeleton once had at this church. No other memories accompanied the feeling.

Just the feeling of inner peace. Of pure, calming peace.

Then there is an explosion of light and the skeleton is wearing Paladin army and is a paladin.
>>
>>44321113
>Motivational
I made that like 5 years ago, always makes me smile to see it show up, just wish I didn't put it in quotes
>>
>>44322267
What was wrong with it? I enjoyed it well enough, even if I never got through the second book. Skeleton in a suit being awesome.
>>
>>44315310
Step one is not playing D&D, it seems.
>>
Anyone want to hear an idea for death knights I made with /tg/ a few months ago? Slightly on topic.
>>
Daily reminder that AD&D has lawful good elf liches.
>>
>>44321821
Storytiem? Gib nao
>>
>>44315310
We had an undead paladin in one of my games. Mechanically he was a Shardmind Chaladin with "spooky skeleton disassemble/reassemble teleport" power. We changed psychic resistance to necrotic resistance, changed construct to undead, and changed the bonus to arcana into a bonus to intimidate. It seemed to go just fine.

His vigil was so important that even death couldn't hold him from his duty. Later, when they met the ghost of the REAL legendary paladin it turned out that he was actually created by the winter-court fey, using memories/stories. He turned evil, and was quite the effective boss-monster (player wanted to try a new character.)
>>
>>44316839
You had me intil the "lil bitch" line. Very un-paladin-like.
>>
>>44329494
All right, but first I should let you know about the characters. At first we decided not to take th game too seriously, and gave ourselves joke names.
There are fours of us at the moment. Brutalix the Barbarian, Moralius the Cleric, Whip-round -hard to translate to english- the Paladin and Angelus the Wizard.
Our cleric is the usual 'MC' on our sessions, the story focusing on him, but not so much that it could be considered hogging attention.
Moralius found Brutalix frozen on a mountain, saved his life and taught the relic from the ancient times about the current world.
Brutalix was once a feared barbarian chieftain who worshipped -rom, but somehow got trapped in the snows of the mountain one day. When Moralius thawed him and raised him, Brutalix sort of became his right arm, following any and all commands Moralius gave him. He still hasn't converted to good, instead, due to his constant looting and chaotic acting combined with Moralius' tolerance has turned the cleric from LG to LN.
Whip-Round the Paladin serves the order of the Feather, same as the cleric. The Feather looked up to wisdom and knowledge, considered birds holy and the undead were a plague. The paladin is me, so I'll tell the story from the paladin's perspective. He doesn't know much about the outside world due to training in an isolated town, he doesn't let that fact bother him. He was sent to follow Moralius' party in order to learn more of the outside world and of the gods. Thanks to the DM, he doesn't fall automatically for letting brutalix live.
Angelus is a wizard who prefers doing illusions over any other magic. You could almost mistake him for a bard if you cut his beard a bit shorter. The party bumped onto him during one quest and he just stuck with us.

Now, onto the story.
>>
File: 1446620278733.jpg (159 KB, 800x892) Image search: [Google]
1446620278733.jpg
159 KB, 800x892
>>44315310
I don't do undead paladins, but I did decide to build something special into them that's sort of similar. Basically, if they commit to something, some last stand or desperate last fight, they can essentially burn away their souls to get a bunch of bonuses, one of which is that they technically become undead, in the sense that bodily harm is unable to kill them unless it's absolute, or they are dragged all the way down to beyond max negative HP, as long as they stay committed to the final task.

Basically, Paladins become movie-level Psycho Killers until put down.
>>
>>44330107
Frenzied Berserker is a bullshit PrC
>>
5e has all undead be sentient, and only through strict control does the necromancer stop them from going off and doing their own thing. In fact, entire parts of the cannon 5e world are completely run by undead.
>>
>>44329934
On our last mission, we saved a town from being burnt to the ground by cultist AND saved The Feather from being corrupted by an evil cultist. After we killed the cultist, Moralius had visions. The feather showed him visions of a city far in the north. Moralius was chosen by the gods to do something there, but nobody know what.

After a few pints in a tavern, Moralius had mentally accepted that he was now Chosen, and told about it to the rest of the party. As we gathered out gear, getting ready to leave, Moralius reminded me that tomorrow was the month of The Feather.
During the month of The Feather, monks of said religion could start fasting for two weeks to honor one of the saints of the Order.

Moralius said it was time for the two if us to start the fasting, especially since we're doing the journey for The Feather itself. All food, safe for drinks, was forbidden.
I was a bit worried, but I agreed to the terms.
Soon we had finished packing our new caravan and left the town, heading north. Of course, while Moralius and I were fasting, it didn't stop the two other members of our party to eat delicious meat and drinking fine wine along with it. I was a little annoyed by the barbarian, who decided to eat noisily next to me while I was riding every day, but I endured.

Little did I know that Moralius had bought a Ring of Sustenance five days before we left the town. I still didn't know about the ring, but I was a little interested how energetic he was on the fifth day. I still endured.
What also happened on the fifth day was that our caravan was stopped by an ambassador from a nearby castle of paladins. The same castle that I was trained in.
Apparently my uncle, Evilus Maximus, had died in his mansion after a failed attempt to become a lich and the Paladin order had his Last will and testament.

Before I got to say anything, the three other member of our party started muttering something about treasures and magic items in the mansion.
>>
>>44330279
Moralius said that he allowed me to go and see what I had inherited, the rest of the party agreed with him.

Well, the town was nearby, so it wouldn't hurt to stop there along the way, I thought, and it was important to handle all family matters while it was still possible. Evilus might have had some... questionable moralities, but he was still my uncle, I can't hate what little family I had left.

Once we arrived to the castle, we found out that I wasn't the only family member there to claim the heritage. My cousin, Blackmailus, had also arrived, to claim his share.
I shared a loving, one-sided greeting with my cousin, who I hadn't seen for years, and he told me he wanted to claim everything in the mansion. Once the paladins brought my uncle's will, Blackmailus and I read it.

-LAST MAN STANDING GETS IT ALL-
-Signed, Evilus Maximus Assholius

Shocked as I was, I could see from the handwriting and the seal that the will was not a fake. It was the real deal.

After reading the piece of paper, Blackmailus laughed and challenged me to a duel. While my party member were celebrating for an easy win, I had trouble thinking if this was right.
Moralius tried to convince me that the duel was honourable and the other paladins of the castle approved of it, to which I eventually agreed on.

The rules of the duel were simple, we were to fight unarmed and the first to gives up or faints, loses. The duel began and I managed to beat up my dear cousin pretty badly, I made sure to apologize for each punch.
After a few more hits, Blackmailus drew a spiked club he was hiding. I was surprised and took a few heavy hits, but I was still standing. I got angry and started wrestling him, trying to stop him from moving.
Behind me, without me knowing, Brutalix had started flexing and looking at my cousin in order to intimidate him and Moralius whispered a curse on Blackmailus to weaken him more.
Soon after I managed headbutt my cousin to submission.
>>
File: Heinz.jpg (47 KB, 760x827) Image search: [Google]
Heinz.jpg
47 KB, 760x827
>>44330279
>>44330661
>Evilus Maximus
>Blackmailus

I like your DM
>>
>>44330661
I didn't know anything about my rigged victory, the paladins weren't there to see it happening and my cousin didn't say a word about it.
Blackmailus threw me our uncle's will and left with a bleeding nose.

After getting the will and talking to the paladins, they pointed us towards Evilus' mansion and we left. Moralius gave me a dried root to eat, saying that The Feather wouldn't mind a little snack. With Moralius being my mentor, I believed him and started nibbling on the root. I didn't want to eat the whole thig in one go, I wanted to save a bit of the root for the rest of the journey. While I was on the topic of food, I asked him how was he handling the fasting so well.
-Well, uh... I've done this several times before, I've just gotten used to it.
This explanation struck me as odd. My own mentor was hiding something from me, but I didn't know what. I had to make sure, I started questioning him once more. I *wanted* to believe him, don't get me wrong, but something wasn't right here.
Soon I noticed that Moralius had a new ring on his finger. I wouldn't have noticed it if he didn't try to cover it so much. That ring was somehow keeping him from getting hungry, I realized.

Moralius got angry at me. My mentor yelled at me. He had lied to me. I wanted to talk more about it, but I tossed it aside. This was not the time.
Upset and saddened, took the harness of the horses and continued riding the caravan.

Once the matter with my uncle is settled, I'll talk to Moralius again.
>>
>>44330908
The next day, we arrived to the mansion, it was late in the evening, not far from sunset. I was getting quite hungry despite having nibbled on the little root, but I could still run a fair distance.

The mansion was silent and filled with dust, nobody had set a foot in the place for several days, save for one set of footprints, possibly a paladin who went to find my uncle's will.
The rooms were filled with all sorts of decorations, paintings, banners and whatnot. They looked valuable.

The first floor seemed normal, there was a kitchen, servants' quarters and a dining hall. The second floor gave me a strange feeling. Something was off.
There were three rooms on the second floor. One was the library, where the shelves had fallen on the floor, books tossed everywhere, as if someone was looking for something in a hurry.

The second room was my uncle's bedroom. I followed brutalix there because I noticed how the walls of the hallway looked suspiciously empty. In the bedroom was a chest filled with copper coins, probably worth a thousand gold coins. I caught Brutalix picking up the heavy chest and stopped him.
After a short exchange of words, the barbarian got angry at me and yelled.
-If it wasn't for me and Moralius, you wouldn't have even beaten your good-for-nothing cousin!
It was then I found out that Moralius had interfered with the duel. I was shocked. Sad. FURIOUS.
I stormed out of the room to find Moralius. I was ready to forgive him for the ring, since it technically wasn't *not* allowed, but this.. But THIS!

I found him in the third room, my uncle's body was there, sitting on the floor near an altar, holding a leather book. My fury was gone, I went to my uncle's corpse and muttered a prayer.
The room had an unholy aura about it, black candles were placed on every corner, there were no windows in the room and it felt unnaturally cold. There was also a red circle on the floor, in front of my uncle's body.
>>
>>44315497
In some editions paladins don't need to worship deities, their power comes from lawful good and dedication to it

Positive energy's still a problem. Maybe PF, for example, offers non-positive energy archetypes.

And there's always possibility of discussing with DM for solution.
>>
>>44331465
>There was also a red circle on the floor, in front of my uncle's body.
spooky
>>
A paladid that was cursed was turned into a ghast and retained his memory and sanity to spite his existence. As a result he flung himself into a basin of holy water but due to his unwavering faith he was unharmed. He feeds off the flesh of the wicked and still prays to his God every day.
>>
>>44331465
I guess my uncle Evilus was doing something unholy in this mansion.

Moralius carefully took the book my uncle was holding from his cold hands and opened the book. As he opened the first page, the book started flipping the pages itself, stopping on the last page. A cold wind passed through the room as the book finished.

I went next to Moralius to read the latest entry. The wizard arrived, too, saying he felt something magical pass through the house
-Day 127
I've done it! I've got all the materials I need for the ritual! Now all need to do is to summon this demon aand~

The rest of the entry was scribbled in bad writing.

well shit. i failed tHE ritUaL I accideNtally openeD a portal to the nEgAtive planes, now the monsters hant the mantion every night.
luckily i manageD to seAl the mansion, so that they cannot leave the place to haunt the villageRs. i bet you'rE reading tHis, blackmailus. well sucks to bE you! you'RE trapped doomed to starve to death here, just like me!

As the three of us finished reading the last entry, we heard Brutalix yelling downstairs.
-WHY CAN'T I GO OUTSIDE!?
>>
File: 1362515672159.jpg (173 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
1362515672159.jpg
173 KB, 621x621
>>44331713
After a little experiments, we accepted the fact that we were trapped. There was a neutral barrier around the mansion that let people in, but something inside the mansion cursed everyone, keeping them from getting out.

It was getting late and it wouldn't be long before the sun would set. The undead would be here.
Moralius deviced a plan. He said that he could learn a new set of spells to unde to curse that was cast on us, but he would have to rest before he could learn them.
Everyone agreed on the plan and started to make preparations for the night. We barricaded some doors, covered some windows and made 'camp' in my uncle's bedrom upstairs. I decided to patrol the hallway.

When the sun set, the first few hours went by without any encounters, everything seemed normal. My fatigue finally caught up with me.
I hadn't eaten in six days, I spent alot of energy fighting my cousing yesterday and now I have to keep watch all night.
Remembering my rigged duel, I continued patrolling the hallway. This was neither the time nor the place to start an argument with my mentor.

Upon midnight, things finally started to happen. The dead had arrived. Not from the windows, where we expected them to come, but from the walls, roof and the floor. It occured to us that the entire mansion goes INTO the negative plain at night, that's why the dead could come from anywhere.
Our first fight was against three wights, which we luckily dispatched quickly without any injury.

Moralius decided that we didn't have enough people to guard us, took a scroll from his backpack and walked towards the ritual room. The room where my uncle's body was.

My eyes widened. He couldn't possibly-!

Before I managed to shamble into the ritual room, Moralius stepped out. Along with a skeleton.
-Since I'm used to dealing with the undead, I have both a warhammer and a longsword with me.-
I picked my warhammer and shuffled towards the skeleton with the intent to crush its skull.
>>
>>44332110
Moralius stopped me before I swung the hammer.
-What are you doing? I asked
-We need all the help we can get! Consider this as your uncle's last act of atonement.
Moralius kept talking to me, but I heard nothing. My mind had gone numb with what he said. I put down my warhammer and started patrolling the hallway as Moralius left with Evilus' skeleton, into the bedroom.

We had undead rising on one hour intervals, each hour brought more undead, stronger ones with them. After each battle I resumed my patrol, not caring about the aching on my stomach, not caring about the anger in my heart. This was neither the time nor the place. I can discuss this later with him.

We hit them. We chopped them. We mauled them, burned them, froze them, melted them in acid. Eventually sun arose in the distance. We had survived.

Moralius got up from his rest and undid the curse on each of us.
As the others were preparing to leave, I calmly looked toward the skeleton the cleric had raised. I looked at its empty sockets for a few moments, took my warhammer and swung at its head once more.
>>
>>44332327
I missed. I only managed to scratch the skeleton's forehead with the corner of my hammer. I guess the fatigue was taking a toll on my aim. I prepared to swing again, but I heard noises behind me. Moralius and Brutalix.
-Hold person! Moralius yelled.
My hands stopped moving. The momentum was lost. Why did he stop me, I thought.
WHY WON'T HE LET ME DO THIS?
The spell broke, I took another swing.

This time I was grabbed by Brutalix. The giant of a man was too strong for me and I could not break free. Moralius ordered THE SKELETON TO RUN NORTH AND NEVER TO RETURN! WHY?
-Let me go! I yelled, still trying to resist
-You've gone mad! Remember the virtues of The Feather! Calm yourself!

I looked around. The skeleton had already left the mansion. I had no chance to catch it anymore. I stopped resisting, head hanging low.
Moralius bashed my word with a boof of The Feather, lecturing, lecturing me of the virtues

-Why? I muttered -Why did you stop me?
-You had gone mad, you had to be stopped.
I raised my head.
-Why did you stop me from granting my uncle his eternal rest?
-That was not your uncle. He is already in hell.
He just said that. In a calm, as-a-matter-of-fact tone.
-What I am about to say is not said as a knight of the Order, but as a man of the Clinkus family. I, Whip-round Coinus Clinkus.
First you interfered with my duel against my cousin, then you get your henchman to loot the mansion I've inherited, then you descecrate the corpse of my uncle, not giving him a proper burial AND NOW YOU CHOOSE TO INSULT MY FAMILY?

Silence. Moralius opens his mouth.
-Your anger is clouding your judgement. Remember the virtues of the Feather.
I looked at him in the eyes.

Cont.
>>
>>44316748
I like this. Skeleton war in the deep gods domain? Yes.
>>
File: 1385678656096.jpg (24 KB, 170x236) Image search: [Google]
1385678656096.jpg
24 KB, 170x236
>>44332786
-Who are you to walk about wisdom, raising the dead? I don't recall our faith approving of them.
Silence.
-What are you going to do? He asked.
I got out of the barbarian's hold and shoved him away from me.
- I'll continue the fasting. As you said, I cannot let my feelings take over. But don't get me wrong, I haven't forgiven you. You call yourself a man of God, but your ations do not follow suit.
From this day on, you are no longer my mentor, as I will be watching *you*. Once all of this is over, you will be judged.

Then I left the mansion and hopped on the caravan. The wizard had no idea what happened and I got a death threat from the Barbarian if I were ever to go against Moralius.

End.
>>
File: 34353453456.jpg (155 KB, 572x603) Image search: [Google]
34353453456.jpg
155 KB, 572x603
>>44332902
Weird, that's not the picture I posted.

Anyhow, that's where our latest session ended.
The DM rewarded the cleric and me with a little bonus xp for the great acting at the end.
The rest of the group enjoyed the performance as well, because I usually sit around with my mouth shut. I should thank my new DM for the tips he gave me. He got me reading a bunch of books to get some material for myself.
>>
I feel like Undead paladins fall under the category of Neutral Paladins in terms of "If your DM doesn't hate fun"
>>
>>44330898
Well, we ended up using joke names, so the DM wanted to pay us back, giving us a good laugh every time.
Moralius and My paladin tried to have roman-ish feel on their names, I think Brutalix is obvious, and Angelus was a tough nut. Instead, we just cut the 'Chris' from the original name.

But I'll not derail the thread anymore. Merry Christmas, lads.
>>
It may not be tabletop, but if the game/DM allows it, go the Warcraft route. You can make Undead priests (though not paladins, but in terms of lore, there's not much difference), and IIRC, Forsaken priests can use the Light, but it does hurt/burn them. Not in-game thank God.

So using that logic, an Undead paladin can be used, just that they'd have to take some sort of damage whenever they call upon divine powers or something.

I don't play much tabletop games, so ignore me if I sound like a faggot.
>>
>>44333397
Thanks, senpai!
>>
Well, I wouldn't try it in a rules-heavy game, that's for sure, since undead seem to invite mechanical complexity.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.