[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i deal with this player who is dead set on playing a elf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 25
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 300x174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 300x174
How do i deal with this player who is dead set on playing a elf with the appearance of a ten year old child? I've offered him many different choices but he is adamant he wants to play a child.
>>
File: Twins.jpg (163 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
Twins.jpg
163 KB, 650x650
let them
>>
>>44313315
Give him all the penalties that go along with it, I guess. Huge penalty to wisdom, also reduced strength/dex/con/whatever your system equivalent is. And not just mechanical penalties. NPCs don't respect him, ignore his advice, etc

If the elf looks like a child, it is a child. Don't let him say "oh but I have 60 years of experience and look like I'm 6." Elves either take ages to grow to adulthood, or they mature at human speed, then remain at early adulthood for ages. In either case, since he looks like a child, for all intents and purposes, he is a child.
>>
File: I have no face.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
I have no face.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
>>44313349
>mfw
If they could actually do that right, and have it not ruin the game, it would be glorious.

>>44313379
This is the better choice.
>>
So you seem to be in a position where you approve/disapprove of characters allowed in the game. That makes this really simple:

1) Are you comfortable with it? Let him play the character
2) Are you not comfortable with it? Remove him from the game

It is literally that easy. You are not obligated to play with anyone who wants to play in your games.
>>
>>44313315
While I understand why you might not want to, I have to agree with >>44313349, with one important note: have NPCs react the way they realistically would to a ten-year-old character. If they try any weird shit, that should give you an out.
>>
>>44313315
I can guess why you're apprehensive about this, but humor us. What do you think will happen if he plays a ten year old?

I'm asking because it's entirely possible to make an interesting character who's also a ten year old. Just not many pull it off.
>>
>>44313423
Except I'm in fucking Wyoming and the nearest FLGS is over 200 miles away so this is the only group I can get.
>>
>>44313349
Not gonna lie, Hansel and Gretel made Black Lagoon go from awesome to cringe-inducingly edgy real fucking quick.
>>
>>44313315

Ask him why. Ignore his answer. Then try to shame him by implying he's making himself look like a pedophile. Suggest that what he's doing is creepy and try to get at least one other person in the group to agree.
>>
Just because they want to be a character with the body of a child and the mentality and experience of an adult doesn't mean they want to fuck it. In my opinion unless he's proven that he's a douche before it might end up being pretty interesting.
>>
>>44313379
Don't do this, it's passive aggressive bullshit to be slapping onto a character because you feel uneasy. OP, just let the guy play the character and then judge him with a balanced hand. If you have any reservations you can actually voice, do it beforehand and try to talk it out like someone who's an adult. Treating everyone like a criminal gets you no friends.
>>
>>44313315
Tell him you don't want fetish shit in your game.
>>
>>44313551
I fucked your mum last night
>>
>>44313538
He reads fanfiction 24:7 and has an obsession with random anime. I don't like my odds here.
>>
>>44313315
Rape.
>>
I did once.

They didn't get to play.
>>
>>44313549
>Don't do this, it's passive aggressive bullshit to be slapping onto a character because you feel uneasy.

Oh come on, hugbox-kun. There's nothing passive-aggressive about giving them appropriate penalties from a simulationist perspective, nor from having other characters in the setting respond to them in a believable way.

What you're asking for here is special treatment. You're asking for a child to be physically equivalent to an adult, and for adults in the setting to treat the child as a peer.
>>
>>44313379
>Give him all the penalties that go along with it

Don't do this passive-aggressive bullshit. Just learn to say "no" to your player and move on with your life. The ability to say no to people will help you a lot down the road.
>>
>>44313379
>Child is Cha-based caster
>0 fucks given
>>
>>44313638
>What you're asking for here is special treatment.
Being a PC is special treatment in of itself from a meta perspective.
>>
>>44313315
As other anons have stated, let him do it. Have the NPCs and other players react accordingly to a character with the appearance of a child. If he's being genuine about wanting to play a new type of character he'll appreciate the novelty and challenge. If not call him out on his magical realm bullshit
>>
>>44313694
>Child is still pre-pubescent in elf terms so hi willpower is shoddy as hell
>Apparently Willpower isn't charisma
>>
>>44313315
Tell him to make another character or you'll hand him the character sheet he gets to play. You're the GM, you have the power in this relationship. If he doesn't show up to your game it still happens. If you refuse to let him participate he's shit out of luck. Any player who refuses to accommodate such a reasonable request by the GM, like not playing a fucking child, is not the kind of player you want at your table.
>>
>>44313468
Uh-uh. That is never a legitimate response. Why can't you just not play with this one guy?

This is like that Geek Social Fallacies shit. It is totally okay to just tell one dude intent on ruining the game or playing shit nobody else is cool with to fuck off.
>>
>>44313481
That's like, your opinion, man. The way I see it their arc was no worse than the rest.
>>
>>44313716

False equivalence non-argument.
>>
>>44313315
>How do i deal with this player who is dead set on playing a elf with the appearance of a ten year old child?

its quite easy.

one word.

"no."
>>
>>44313760
Pretty much thinking of this now. I'll just murder his character immediately before the game starts and hand him a premade character sheet.
>>
>>44313805
How does it feel to be the sovereign citizen of internet arguments?
>>
>>44313874
The fuck? If you really think it's unsafe to let him play the character just say no and let him build a new one. Don't be a passive aggressive prick.
>>
>>44313874
>rather than deal with this directly and logically, I will agree to do something and then immediately and passive-aggressively sabotage it
Yes, I'm sure this will work out with no problems.
>>
>>44313957
>>44313924
Immediately BEFORE the session, reading comprehension. Also just adding a 1 before his age in pen on his character sheet would solve all of these problems.
>>
File: obviouslyribbon.jpg (39 KB, 223x224) Image search: [Google]
obviouslyribbon.jpg
39 KB, 223x224
> I've offered him many different choices but he is adamant he wants to play a child.

Somehow, I'm not really sure I believe this story.

It's just the inherent conflict between you wanting to play with this person, and him being inflexible on a fairly unorthodox option that was never really offered him. There's just so many paradoxes that arise from that, which make it all the easier to just doubt this entire story and to search for your ulterior motive in making this thread.

But, granting you the benefit of the doubt, the answer to any and every conflict is discussion followed by violence. You need to come up with a good argument as to why you don't want him to play a child character, and he needs to provide good reasons as to why he should be allowed to play such an unorthodox character. Discuss the matter maturely and calmly, and if neither of you can settle the matter by acting like amiable adults, kick him out, using force if necessary.
>>
File: char-dwarf.png (75 KB, 620x575) Image search: [Google]
char-dwarf.png
75 KB, 620x575
>>44313315

What race of child though? A dwarven child of 10 looks like pic related, an elven child of 10 is still pretty much a fetus, all huge head out of proportion to its stubby little arms and legs.
>>
File: viper.jpg (44 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
44 KB, 600x600
>>44314025
Nigga are you fucking retarded, or are you just a fucking wimp? Tell the boy no. N-O, it's some simple shit.
>Hey can I play a little girl elf in
>NO you cannot
>>
>>44313760
Basically this. Though, maybe with a little more tact.
>>
>>44314025
That still gives him less to work with and you're still spineless.
>>
>>44313315
Just let him play the kid. Warn them that they will need to take penalties on rolls due to height and appearance and have the NPC's act accordingly. Hell, even give them penalties to strength, dex, and con but let them know before hand that it's because of their child-like character. If they complain, say if they were strong, they'd look ripped and would just look like a 'roided out midget and not a child. If they bitch about that, tell them it doesn't mater as short limbs gives bad leverage. It's your world and they're playing in it. That means YOU determine how the world reacts to them.

It could create some tension, but also an interesting game I think. And if they want to play a Mary-Sue to steam-roll the game, than just play along and post the "That Guy" story later.
>>
>>44314092
I agree with this guy, though I'd have phrased it in a less belligerent and insulting way.
>>
File: 1436571217355.jpg (19 KB, 439x469) Image search: [Google]
1436571217355.jpg
19 KB, 439x469
>>44313874
No, don't do that. Here's what you should say to him:

"[Insert Problem Player Name Here], I'm not going to let you play a character that looks like a child in my game, even if they're actually an adult. I think it's creepy and it's not acceptable at my table. I'm not going to argue with you, this is just how it's going to be. I've prepared a character sheet for you, if you can't make a reasonable, acceptable character before the session starts then you'll be playing him instead."

If he starts to argue and justify his character, just say nothing and ignore whatever he says. If he says that your decision is bullshit or otherwise tells you that you're being a bad GM, say this:

"As GM I have final say on what - and who - is and isn't allowed at my table. If you don't follow my rules then you won't be allowed to participate."

The key here is to be direct, to speak with him like adults, and to assert that you're the one in control in this situation. He can't play without you, he's the powerless one in this social dynamic.
>>
File: 1433095153772.jpg (614 KB, 778x895) Image search: [Google]
1433095153772.jpg
614 KB, 778x895
>>44313315
>nobody comments on the 16 shot flintlock pistol
>>
Here's my question

When you ask him the very first question anyone would ask, which is "WHY," what does he say?
>>
>>44313315

Tell him to fuck off and take his magical realm with him.
>>
>>44313729
>Apparently Willpower isn't charisma
In D&D, yep, it is not. I personally fold Charisma and Wisdom into one stat, but that's my house rules, not OP's.
>>
How do I deal with a player who likes to create characters that specifically say "fuck you" to the GM?

He seems to take the most enjoyment out of causing my schemes to fall apart due to his character being mostly impervious to anything I throw at him.

Now this is the part where you laugh at me.

He's making a Kai-Focused Monk.

His AC is close to 30, same as his touch AC.

So anything that can hit him can murder the rest of the players. When I actually do throw something at him he uses an ability that allows him to interrupt an enemies attack and trip them. Then he'll do the exact same thing on his next turn robbing the enemy of ever getting an attack in.

Fucker can shrug of just about any save.

I could kill him off with just sheer numbers, but that's a dick move.

I could engineer a fight specifically designed to give his character problems but then it usually won't make sense in the current scenario.

I know monks aren't OP in 3.5. Very far from it, but it's hard as hell to make an encounter that can affect them. Most fight just end up with him constantly tripping enemies and the party wailing on his prone figure.
>>
>>44315076
Have him fight something that can fly and has ranged attacks.
>>
>>44313315
Let him.

He'll either play it bad and bring shame on himself, play it alright and just be a little weird, or play it well and it will be awesome.

In any case it will be a learning experience.

Keep in mind your other players as well. How would they react to a child wanting to adventure with them? What bands them together? Hell, would the actual players have an issue with him playing a child?

Dude, seriously, instead of coming here and asking random people on the Internet, DISCUSS IT WITH THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY PLAYING YOUR GAME.

If you do come back, do so with something relevant, like wanting know how we would stay Ned Flanders from The Simpsons.
>>
>>44315076
Animals with more than two legs can't be tripped, there are spells with no save that don't target AC, tripping is an opposed strength check, etc.
>>
>>44315148
Gloves of arrow catching, evasion. They would have to actually hit him to do anything. a monster would be hard pressed to even win a grapple with a monk, so having them drop him from a hieght to deal damage isn't really even in the cards.
>>
>>44315076
>a player who likes to create characters that specifically say "fuck you" to the GM?
Never thought I'd see the day when someone complains about how strong a Monk is.

Also, since you obviously don't want to deal with that power-level, you could try talking to them or play 5e instead.
>>
>>44315268
What asshole let him have those gloves?
>>
>>44315076

Incorporeal Undead, level/ability score drain, fail or fail spells
>>
>>44315377
>What asshole let him have those gloves?
My guess is "3.5, son". Due to the culture that happened around the game, players are entitled to whatever broken nonsense they can afford with their expected treasure value by level.

Monks and monk-derivatives tend to suck in 3rd edition, but with enough work they can get achieve a solid, well-rounded defense that makes them hard to kill.
>>
>>44315333
Not really how strong they are, like I said I could engineer a complete "fuck you" encounter. But that usually doesn't fit within the current situation.

Monks are mechanically built to be a rock. Almost completely unphased by whatever you throw at them. They are tough to work around when built a certain way.
>>
File: 5rwXZ3d.png (691 KB, 649x540) Image search: [Google]
5rwXZ3d.png
691 KB, 649x540
>>44315076
Say the following:

"[Insert Problem Player Name Here], I think your character is overpowered and it's disrupting the game. I can't balance encounters properly because what's challenging for your character will shred the rest of the party. I get the feeling that you like making really powerful characters, but I need you to play something different that's more in line with the rest of the party. If you can't make a reasonable, balanced character for next session I'll have a character sheet prepared for you and you can play him instead."

If he complains, say the following:

"As GM I have final say on what - and who - is and isn't allowed at my table. If you can't play something balanced with what everyone else is playing then you won't be allowed to participate."

If he makes a new character and it's overpowered like his current one, say the following:

"[Insert Problem Player Name Here], I told you that I didn't want you playing an overpowered character. I trusted you to make a reasonable one, and you did not. Because of that, you will now be playing characters I make for you until I decide that you're mature enough to follow the rules of the table. If you don't like it then you're welcome to leave."

Like I said here >>44314748 just be direct, tell him how you feel, and make it clear that you won't take his bullshit anymore.
>>
1. Let them

2. Kick them out

3. Reiterate the answer is no
>>
>>44315567
Fly 10 feet in the air and drop bombs on them. Watch him cry when you say he can't attack. Use Create Pit to force him into a 5x5 space and say he can't dodge in such conditions.

Or just use reasonable point buy instead of rolling like a bunch of morons.
>>
>>44315585
Part of the problem is I'm pretty new to the whole tabletop RPGs. I've played maybe a total of 4 sessions while I've GMed more than 20. No one else will run it, so if I want to play at all I have to GM.

The way things are starting to turn out though, we will be lucky to even get together anymore since two of my players have moved a couple cities away. (Small towns)

If things continue this way, I'm gonna have to give in and try to find a game online. I hear roll20 is where I should start.
>>
Why the hell are elves long lived anyways? Do they have to be to be elves?
>>
>>44315700
A friend of mine has only run about 20 tabletop sessions and he's pretty good. You'll stumble and make mistakes, everyone does, but I'm sure you'll do great.

The best way to handle a problem player is to bring up the problem, tell them that you're not okay with their behaviour, and propose a solution. Be honest, mature, and respectful, but make it clear that it's your game and you make the rules.

The honest truth is that players who refuse to compromise aren't worth having at your table in the first place. If he won't back down and make a reasonable character then he's not worth having.

Roll20 is a pretty decent site, I use it to play my online campaigns because getting a good group in my corner of the world is really tough. It's not perfect but at least I don't have to deal with my players' BO or sloppy eating habits.
>>
>>44313315
Why should he not play the game as a child character?
>>
>>44313315
Have his character get raped in graphic detail.
>>
File: 1436772144668.jpg (77 KB, 887x1097) Image search: [Google]
1436772144668.jpg
77 KB, 887x1097
>>44320589
>>
>>44313315
>I want to play a child.

-3 to all stats except charisma, and half the resulting hit points, rounded down.

You can play as a child. You will last that long as well.

>but he is an ancient being who-
Stop. There are no such beings in this world.
>but muh agenda
You may quit if you do not wish to fit in.

Do you seriously need players so badly? Around my parts the GM to player ratio is 1:50. They kiss my balls and buy my food for playing with them in the GM role.
>>
>>44313567
Then you have your answer.
>>44320618
>>
>>44314814
That's a big gun
>>
>>44313315
What gun is that?..are there blueprints online? For uh...research purposes
>>
>>44320650
4 U
>>
File: this post right here.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
this post right here.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>44320618
>>
>>44313549
passive aggressive bullshit is insisting on playing a character when the DM specifically asked you not to.
>>
>>44321203
That's not really passive OR aggressive, depending on how it's worded, what times it's asked, and along with how it's asked.
>>
>>44321215
Well it is aggressive in the sense that OP gave him a plethora of options and he insisted on playing a child.
>>
>>44313567
Just give him a firm no.
>>
>>44313315
Where is this gun from?

It doesn't look real, even by Henry gun-mace standards or the russian square-barreled cannon.
>>
You are the DM. if you think this is not acceptable, tell him to make something else. If he refuses, tell him he can follow the rules or fuck off.

keep the rest of the table in mind tough. if the majority of them is cool with it, maybe you are overreacting, and you should listen to them.
>>
File: banhammer.jpg (49 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
banhammer.jpg
49 KB, 570x428
>>44313315
Your game, your rules. So he can do as you say or he con fuck off. If he's challenging you without even starting hte adventure, he's gonna be a pain in the ass.
Also warn him that first time he disrupts the game, he's off. If he whines, complains or keeps challenging you, off with him!
I'm sure you can find a replacement or work with the rest of players. Never be so desperate to play with anyone even with "that guy". After all, you all should have fun, not a selfish player.
>>
>>44313379
if your penalising him for his phisical apperance why wisdom? wouldn't it make more scence to lower charisma and phyisical stats, and affec the way people react to him?
>>
Is he wanting to play a straight white human male fighter aged 21 to 35 with an ordinary childhood, 2 siblings, living parents and non-magical gear?

If yes then that's fine but watch him carefully.

If no, then do not allow his fetish bait degenerate creepy fapfuel sicko creation.
>>
>>44313567
So he's your average fa/tg/uy?
>>
>>44313315
Okay: you have these stat adjustments.
(Read off the halfling entry)
There. You look like a child. Happy?
>>
>>44313315

"I'm sorry, I'm just not comfortable running a game with this character. Because I'm not. No. Come up with another character or find another game. Because I said no."

You don't have to explain everything.
>>
File: 1439961098027.jpg (167 KB, 802x795) Image search: [Google]
1439961098027.jpg
167 KB, 802x795
>>44324641

Because he's short his perception is gonna be less though, so you need to lower his CHA and give him a negative modifier to his Spot checks.

Of course what makes me laugh is that the player is probably trying to get the AC bonus from being Small Sized rather than anything magical realm - only reason to do "Elf looks 10 years old", as that gives you both the size bonus to AC and the AC bonus from the Elven Dex racial bonus. Which of course starts to make up for the CON penalties Elves get.
>>
>>44313315
To sum up:
Let them.
If they do things that end up making the others uncomfortable tell him.
If he continues tell him to reroll his character or find a new group.

In other words basic logical interhuman interaction that no one should even have to ask for advice on.

[/thread]
>>
>>44324641
A 10-year old is neither strong, nor tough, nor dexterous or coordinated, nor intelligent (in practical, not potential terms), nor wise. Charisma, maybe.
>>
File: 1438539015977.jpg (34 KB, 459x750) Image search: [Google]
1438539015977.jpg
34 KB, 459x750
>>44313315
>>44313349
>>44313379
>>44313409
>>44313423
>>44313428
>>44313442

not baiting, i also play mainly as children or teens. my main character is a 15 year old human girl. and have also played as younger.

i've never witnessed anyone feeling uneasy with this, whats the matter even? PnP is nothing sexual per se if thats what you have in mind.

i didn't even know that this is some kind of taboo for a player character. im so used to it, this thread really seems weird to me.
>>
>>44326204
you just want to bang your slutty teen waifu
>>
>>44326467
you know practically nothing about my personality, stranger, and yet you think you can make such a psychological assumption based loosely on the fact what kind of fictional character i like to have control over in a game?

thats cute. you don't even know about my gender.
>>
>>44326518
>you don't even know about my gender.

zeta-8 heteromollusc that identifies as bifluid?
>>
>>44326553
i was talking about the actual two genders. not this non-binary bullshit.
>>
>>44326602
Indeed

I was making fun of you rather than addressing your actual point.

Why do you like to play as younger characters then?
>>
>>44326602
>the actual two genders

man with sword and man with gun?
>>
>>44326068
Well there is a difference between an actual 10-year old and having the appearance of a 10-year old.
If the character is an actual 10-year old I agree with them not being tough,strong, dexterous, intelligent, or wise.

However, if it is just the appearance (fey shenanigans or other magical shenanigans) I would say you could have the normal mental stats.
Charisma is used to influence people, which can be hard to make people take you seriously, but It would be much easier to convince people you were no threat at all and just an innocent child, So I'd have to say no bonus or penalty on Cha (or constantly give the character differing modifiers per social roll depending on if being a child would help or hinder the player).
Dexterity I am iffy on because coordination/reaction is sort of both a mental and physical ability. I feel like dexterity isn't something you can grow into like strength or toughness but it is training the brains motor functions to be more precise in its movements. but, I am not a brain scientist so I don't know.

Honestly I just convert Neoteny rules from shadowrun where Health is diminished and social rolls can get positive or negative modifiers.
>>
>>44313315
is he autistic about it or does he just wana play that because if he is an grandtheft-autismo just dont play with him
>>
>>44326204
15-something isn't the same as 10-something.

If you're a GM and want to give a realistic (and maybe dramatic) vibe to your game, you don't want 10-year old PCs having the same physical and mental abilities and social acknowledgement of an adult, unless it makes a lot of sense in the story and setting - and it usually doesn't.
Given that, it's not uncommon for people to try and play child characters to fulfill very sexual fantasies, while others just do it to 'be random' or to achieve some mechanical bonus, or to emulate characters from other media (which is often awkward, if not outright disruptive for the mood at the table). So, yeah, a GM has the right to not want any of these situations; this means a GM has all the rights to evaluate carefully whether to allow a specific player to play a child character and, eventually, impose the limitations they deem fitting.

I, for example, usually run low-fantasy games, and would allow a kid character only with severe penalties on stats - a kid has considerably inferior strength, constitution and stamina than an adult, and the same goes with coordination; while not less intelligent, they're surely more guillible, less educated and familiar with logic, they're unaware of the complexity of 'adult' social interactions, and so on; and they, of course, lack lots of experience.
If a player came to me with a good character idea and I trusted them enough, I would allow special alleviations for such penalties - for example, a prodigy child raised in a shaolin monastery could be more dexterous than the average adult martial artist, and thus perhaps compensate for the necessarily lackluster strenght and constitution too; a kid genius could be already a great magician or just insanely smart, and so on. But these are exceptions.
>>
File: girl.jpg (720 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
girl.jpg
720 KB, 1920x1080
>>44326636
well, why do you like to play as adults, powerful warriors or whatever you like to play as?

do you need to comperent something? are you a loser in reallife? No, because this has nothing to do with psychology.

i think playing as a kid gives an interesting perspective, it purposely makes your character weaker - which an important point for the scenario, depending on the setting. Think horror or survival games. I'm not saying that i only play these scenarios, but it serves as a good alternative that makes every scenario more immersive.

and what i like the most about underaged characters is that you're basically an unwritten sheet of paper; you can develope your character believable in all kinds of directions, especially in puberty.

i'm not joking here, i have never ever even thought about sexuality here, i literally didn't even had the connection in mind until i read this thread and its shocking if you did.
>>
>>44313315
have sex with them OP.
>>
>>44313923
Good job. What you've just done there is completely invalidated anon's point. Somehow, I see that anon must be an idiot to say that.
>>
>>44313315
Mechanically have him play one of the smaller races and let him? What's the big problem?
>>
>>44326907
>well, why do you like to play as adults, powerful warriors or whatever you like to play as?

To have fun, was this a trick question?

>are you a loser in reallife? No,

Now who's making assumptions?

>i have never ever even thought about sexuality here, i literally didn't even had the connection in mind until i read this thread and its shocking if you did.

Oh I didn't realise you were new to 4chan. My apologies.

Welcome anon, I hope you enjoy your stay.

May I recommend the character art threads and the quest threads.

Steering clear of the generals is usually a good idea.
>>
>>44326712
OP suspects the player might be trying this either for magical realm purposes, or for mechanical bonuses.
In the first case the player should reasonably not be allowed to play a kid at all, in the second - you should never encourage pointless, unexcused abuse of the rules for the sake of a snowflake background, so if allowed to play a kid at all, the character should be an actual kid, not a mechanically-adult-but-looking-like-a-kid nonsense. Otherwise you could just offer beer and blowjobs to powerplayers and have fun letting them destroy the game.
>>
>>44315268
You can always take those gloves away. They put the rod of cancelation in the book for that reason. Touch them with one of those then suddenly the monk just has a pair of gloves.
>>
>>44326967
Because saying gnomes and halflings are as worthless in battle as human childs is racist and will get the Tumblrins hordes wage war against you and your tall-people privileges.
>>
>>44326995
oh, you were baiting. my apologies for taking you serious then.
>>
>>44327052
Substitute the rod to an arrow's shaft for maximum irony.
>>
>>44327069
yes summer child, bait is all it was

that's why I was the one mentioning psychology and psychological profiling in every post.

And that's why I was getting so very defensive and upset when my child-fetish was questioned.

Because I am the bait.
>>
>>44327168
>summer child
>in December

psychological bait intensifies!
>>
>>44327019
>abuse of the rules
Depending on the system there are specific rules for child/old characters.
If we are even discussing increasing or deceasing attributes outside what is written then anything positive or negative is abusing the GMs ability to cheat.
in second - we should encourage the pointless, we are bunch of people sitting at a table rolling dice and saying we are killing dragons and saving maidens. Sounds like we shouldn't be throwing stones about what is and ins't pointless.
>>
>>44321304

>Not doing exactly what you want is aggressive

Holy fuck m8, are you a feminist? Have I now unwittingly committed micro-aggression?
>>
>>44313315
Force him to play a class that would only be accessible to a child- IE require very little training (Barbarian/Rogue/etc), thus making it completely pointless for him to be an Elf whose advantage is they can get out of Wizard school before they've gone past their physical prime.
>>
>>44313549

Look just because i want to play a half orc dosent mean you should be slapping your passive aggressive bullshit onto my character.

I demand that your NPCs treat me as they would another of their own race!
>>
>>44327272

>thinks "summer child" has anything to do with real life seasons

Oh my, this is truly adorable.
>>
>>44314814

Its /tg/ not /k/.

Post this thread on /k/ and everyone would be talking about the gun.
>>
>>44327272

He's calling you an australian, m8.
>>
File: 0000.jpg (211 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
0000.jpg
211 KB, 1280x1024
>>44327168
>Because I am the bait
At last I found thee, my ancient enemy!
I am your terror and your dread, the light to your darkness, the substance to your hollowness, and I hereby challenge you!
For countless threads have I chased you, tireless as Justice itself! Now my righteous wrath shall be your undoing, o vile daemon, o shallow ghast!
For I
AM
ACTUAL CONTENT
AND TODAY WE FIGHT FOR THE SOUL OF /TG/
>>
File: bait art of.jpg (219 KB, 837x768) Image search: [Google]
bait art of.jpg
219 KB, 837x768
>>44327419
No matter how you struggle Content-san

You will lose
>>
>>44327362
>Everybody would be talking about how to implement the gun's design to better kill 10-year old elves
Ftfy
>>
>>44327491

Ok... I stand corrected.
>>
Don't let your players make their own characters

Prepare 20 or 30 character sheets in advance, lay them down on the table and tell them to pick one at random. That's their character for the session. Helps save time (a LOT of time) and prevents a ton of problems

If you're feeling risky include a character sheet for a 12 year old girl
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 423x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 423x405
>>44327084
Brilliant.
>>
>>44313315
Say no
If they refuse tell them that if they can't adhere to the guidelines they won't be in the game.
>>
>>44314814
It's a percussion cap mechanism, not flintlock.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
I would shoot his character with this.
>>
>>44326204
A child is only a valid character if the player agrees to having massive nerfs to physical stats in exchange. Unless they know magic, the only thing that should happen when they run into Orcs is being thrown into a mass grave.
>>
>>44327809
thats exactly what i do, i want to have massive nerfs and i want npcs to talk to me like a child for maximum immersion; thats why i play 'em.
>>
>>44313315
Make all armor and weapon drops in game adult size
>>
File: tumblr_ky3yrmXJkC1qavaugo1_1280.png (483 KB, 550x434) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ky3yrmXJkC1qavaugo1_1280.png
483 KB, 550x434
>>44327636

looks like it's got a gunpowder pan though.
>>
>>44315700
>>44315585
>>44315076
So the dude makes a viable monk, one of the most difficult classes to roll unless you powergame and suddenly its bad?

If you can't take him down in close quarters because of tripping, use four legged monsters with multiple attacks OR use AoE based magic that he can't dodge. AoE spells are typically weaker but very difficult to dodge. Or have spells with homing which is possible.
>>
>>44328584
Four-legged monsters are a valid argument. However AoE attacks are dodged easily through evasion.
>>
>>44320618
I always disliked idiots like you.

If you want to go full purism dickmode, then you would enforce a -5 penalty to strength and constitution on all female characters as well as a cap on how high they can go.

OP, just find out what he wants to RP and see if he'll do a fucking duo or some shit, where he's being protected by a fucking necro fighter or some shit based on his class so he's not entirely useless in combat and RP as he wants, but keep it on a short leash. He does anything creepy or uses it for anything other than competent RP he's done and out of the group.

There is nothing more annoying than a DM who decides "I don't prescribe to your name brand fantasy maaaaan. I don't let the maaaaan get me down like you are trying with your unconventional characters maaaaan."

If you're not satisfied, run a 30 minute backstory session to see how he runs it.

Or don't and give him an all or nothing.
>>
>>44328745
Make the AOE wide enough that evasion won't do dick then?

I mean an exploding fucking fireball is an exploding fucking fireball with an area of like 15 feet or something.

Or use electric based attacks. electricity will home in on targets naturally and it's impossible to dodge something as fast as lightning.
>>
File: 1438572912089.jpg (331 KB, 796x832) Image search: [Google]
1438572912089.jpg
331 KB, 796x832
>>44328824
>If you want to go full purism dickmode, then you would enforce a -5 penalty to strength and constitution on all female characters as well as a cap on how high they can go.
ur cute
>>
>>44313315
Kick them out.
>>
>>44328892
>What is basic physiology
Didn't say women can't be strong but as a base line your average female will be about 20-25% weaker than your average male.
>>
>>44328824
>-5 penalty to strength and constitution on all female characters

At most it would be -1 STR modifier. With a +1 INT and WIS modifier. Women have similar stamina as men and it's one of the few attributes a woman has that they can catch up to men with. Men should be at -1 WIS mod and -1 INT mod as they're under the influence of a combat drug (testosterone).

Or you can stop being a autist and just play the fucking game.

Also I've not seen the OP in here in this thread, I got a suspicion this is a troll thread.
>>
>>44329011
>Didn't say women can't be strong

>as well as a cap on how high they can go.

Yes you fucking did
>>
>>44329050
I bet he's looking for the delete or edit function now for his post... too late.
>>
>>44329045
>20-25% weaker on average
>-1
okay

>+1 INT and WIS modifier
Because intelligence is specific to gender?

>Women have similar stamina as men and it's one of the few attributes a woman has that they can catch up to men with.
Which is why the Olympics don't separate male and females in running events? But I guess testosterone, increased muscle mass, body composition and a whole slew of other things thanks to having 7x the levels of testosterone does to the male body.

>>44329050
Women can be strong, stronger than some men in fact, but since you're going full straw man, the differences in physical capabilities between men and women is like the difference between steel and aluminum alloys.

Some aluminum alloys CAN be stronger than SOME steel alloys. HOWEVER, the strongest steel alloys you find WILL be stronger than the STRONGEST ALUMINUM alloys.

>>44329070
>Shitpost the shitpost
>>
>>44329184
Apparently you didn't read my whole post...

>Or you can stop being a autist and just play the fucking game.

You are really incapable of picking up on sarcasm aren't you? Prime sign of Autism is not picking up on that subtlety.
>>
>>44313567
Then no. Look its simple if they are normalfags, sure let him be, but if he liked anime and know some of their weird culture then no
>>
>>44313349
>>44313379
>>44313423
>>44313428
>>44313442
>>44313722
>>44314290
>>44315204
>>44320579
>>44320618
>>44325973
As someone playing a child warlock in 5e the one problem it's led to is I'm the leader and brains of the group. Paladin wants to murder hobo the bad guys we're spying on? I have to tell him no. Rogue takes a a wiven for a joy ride after I just get the damn paladin to leave it alone? "David is not angree, David is insainly jealous." Risk of me not being on hand when we need to talk our way passed the bad guys? "I think it would be safer if I ran CoC or something that week." I do something stupid? "What do you want from me? I'm 12." I've told the group that there is a good chance that I'll end up helping the outter being I have my pact with into the world only because I can't justify keeping it as it is with them being my example of the races who live here.
>>
File: disney_231551_6_med.jpg (18 KB, 279x262) Image search: [Google]
disney_231551_6_med.jpg
18 KB, 279x262
>>44327058
>Because saying gnomes and halflings are as worthless in battle as human child is racist

But we're not talking about a human child, we're talking about a PC HERO human child. There's a big difference.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with wanting to be the little girl

It is a fantasy, you play as who you want to be. That of course depends on the tone of the campaign of course.
>>
>>44326995
>I recommend the character art threads and the quest threads.
That's some insidious trolling.
Art threads are great.
>>
File: MisakaMikoto01.jpg (601 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
MisakaMikoto01.jpg
601 KB, 1280x1024
Might work in Science Fiction and Modern stuff depending on the setting. The Child Soldier is a trope, as well as the Young Genius.

Also in superheroic setting, Cape Schools are a thing.
>>
>>44328855
You have no clue how the game fucking works, do you?
>>
>>44329045
OP here. I've just been reading the posts and chatting with the problem player over Skype.
>>
>>44329801
A side note to this... most of these characters at youngest tend to be 14-15 years old... their voices are starting to crack and they're starting to have their hormones hijack their developing frontal lobes in terms of common sense.
>>
File: vampire futa.jpg (73 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
vampire futa.jpg
73 KB, 620x453
>>44329802

To be fair you could stat an explosive blast as doing 1/2 damage on a successful reflex save - there's a bunch of magical spells that work like that anyway, and really that's how a lot of AOE effects should work in D&D, the idea that a high dex character can just dodge a uniformly expanding explosion outright never made that much sense.

and once you've introduced that mechanic into the game as pure damage, you can start tossing status effect clouds that sap the Monk's DEX modifier at the party.

or just throw a fucking Wraith at them - they're immaterial so can't be tripped and do pure Dex damage instead of HP damage so fucks monks especially hard
>>
>>44329826
How's the convo going? Will he be playing something else now?
>>
>>44329802
When in doubt faced with stupid minmaxing, homebrew, which was the point I was trying to bring across. That's how my group mostly plays anyway. If a spell does some elemental effect or what not, it will have secondary effects IE Arc of Lightning will have a -5 to dodge rolls or some shit. Or Acid Rain is impossible to dodge and block.

I was also trying to recall some shit from the Complete Arcane rule book I read like 4 years ago when I wanted to do an illusionist build since he did say he's using 3.5 which has a massive amount of fucking spells for you to choose from, from the companion books.
>>
>>44313315
i think a standard gygax elf (standard grayhawk, not forgotten realms not dark sun) could actually pull that off op.

they top out at 5'2, the guys weigh less than a slim high school girl. beardless. slim muscle builds.

so what's the problem here?
>>
>>44331190
>When in doubt faced with stupid minmaxing, homebrew, which was the point I was trying to bring across.

Yeah but there are rules for explosions in every edition and you always get a reflex/dodge save.
>>
>>44331283
And at that point, Evasion kicks in, giving you No Damage on a success, or half even on a failed.
>>
>>44331283
>>44331335
Correct which is why homebrew should be used to correct this since evasion based builds were broken as all fucking hell in 3.5.

I mean if I use a spell that has a 80ft spherical area of effect, the monk should not be able to dodge this, especially when at full run he should only be going 30ft per a turn. Nobody should be able to unless they're flying.

The wraith idea is fucking brilliant though. Don't know much about specter based undead since I've never had one in a campaign so I don't know about any other undead like them like ghosts and the what not but given they're immaterial and all that, that seems like it'd be great.
>>
>>44326204
Artist?
>>
>>44331445
>evasion based builds were broken as all fucking hell in 3.5.
Haha, what?

Oh I get it, you just hate non-casters. Well if that's your problem just spam no save no SR magic to solve your problem.

PS: Look up what an Extraordinary effect is you waste of oxygen. They're explicitly allowed to do nutty shit like a Rogue no selling a fireball's half damage in a fucking five foot space.
>>
>>44331673
I take it you've never played with powergamers?

Everything is fucking broken because of the companion books to the 3.5 core so unless you want to limit everything to purist 3.5, your hands are tied.

Which was also why I didn't allow certain shit like EEs since they're broken as hell too.

Some of the worst builds I've seen were magic based but by far some of the worst were monks who were able to dodge 19/20 attacks thrown at them before they reached level 10, were able to take half damage from failed rolls and were made fucking invincible with magic items.

It's not that I hate noncasters, I fucking hate minmaxing bullshit classes that make encounters impossible to design around whilst trying to stay relevant to the fucking narrative of the campaign.
>>
>>44331788
>Everything is fucking broken because of the companion books to the 3.5 core
M80, literally the absolute worst of the broken stuff is all right there in the Player's Handbook.
>>
>>44331788
Holy fucking shit. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

>Some of the worst were monks

Then you never have once seen anything truly min-maxed. You fucking retard.
>>
>>44330621
Yeah. He's gonna be playing a war blade instead of a child elf wizard.
>>
>>44331445
>Unless they're flying
Oh, so only people who can cast fly should be able to dodge a AoE attack even though the martial a blew feats and skill points to do the same.
>>
>>44331788
You haven't seen min-Max until you see a moderate level barbarian deal 1,100 damage per round on a full attack.
>>
Report him to the police for being a pedo
>>
>>44326204
>i also play mainly as children or teens. my main character is a 15 year old human girl. and have also played as younger.

you got issues nigga
>>
>>44331788
>I take it you've never played with powergamers?
I have, and I regularly hang out with powergamers who comprehensively know about 3.5e.
>Everything is fucking broken because of the companion books to the 3.5 core so unless you want to limit everything to purist 3.5, your hands are tied.
Core 3.5e is the book with THE most wildly disparate levels of power. Sure, other splats get you craft contingent spell, celerity, nightsticks, and so on, but its a relatively minor boost to already broken overpowered characters.
>monks
You have no idea the depths that 3.5e can go to. Your opinion on 3.5e is worthless.
>>
>>44327396
THE GALL
>>
>>44327419
From the thumbnail I though it was Sanguinius
>>
>>44329011
The poin is a PC isn't an 'average' man or woman. You may say that in case of an extremely strong woman she'll be farther than average than an equally strong male would be, but that's it.

Children are an entirely different case, as in >>44326885
>>
>>44314814
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>44314814
...Giraffro?
>>
>>44331894
Noice!
>>
>>44313315
See how they do at it.
>>
>>44328089
Go full berserk on his ass
>that shortsword +2 is considered a longsword for you and your weak child arms give you a -2 to hit
>the party rouge just sold your asshole to pay his debt to the tavern
>>
I once played a joke character: an 8 month old child of two perpetually off-screen ubermensches. He had the strength of a strong grown man at this age and was expected to proportionately improve as he grew. He couldn't actually form words other than gurgling and vague shouts and babbling but could understand spoken English and follow basic logical concepts as per someone with an IQ of 65. This was again expected to increase proportionately.

Massive charm bonuses with women for being an adorable, beautiful widdle baby. Again, he was expected to grow into a perfect Adonis who would take the hearts of women as soon as lay eyes on them.

But while his potential was impressive, he was only a very small, strong, and nearly mute man by stats, hardly PC material. The majority of his XP was spent on effectively a special move: "Parental Intervention".

Being exemplar among babies, it took a lot to make Homulous cry. Bullets, which could actually draw blood from his perfect skin were a common issue. His cries stunned anyone without hearing protection remotely nearby, and started the countdown to the arrival of his mother, typically seen as a rolling wave of debris approaching from the horizon. She would make right anything.
>>
Go, "No. It's a stupid idea and I'm not having it in my games."
>>
>>44333866
You can't read into my psychology from things I actually typed you cis shit oppressor!
>>
>>44313315
Ability Score Adjustments: In the same way an adult character gains adjustments to her ability scores as she reaches middle, old, and venerable age, a young character occupies a new pre-adulthood age category, and therefore has altered physical ability scores, though the vigor of youth does grant some benefit. a young character has a +2 bonus to Dexterity and a –2 penalty to Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom. (A young character's potential inexperience and awkwardness are represented by having only the skill ranks of a 1st-level character rather than taking a penalty to Intelligence or Charisma.)

When a young character reaches adulthood (see Table: Random Young Starting Ages), she loses these ability score adjustments.

Available Classes: a young character does not have access to the same classes as adult characters. Not yet trained in the advanced techniques of war, arcana, faith, and varied other pursuits, a young character is a squire, apprentice, acolyte, or student on the path to expertise. As such, you can select only NPC classes while in this age category, beginning play and advancing in level as an adept, aristocrat, commoner, expert, or warrior, according to your interests and social background. As soon as you reach adulthood, though, you may retrain those NPC class levels as levels in any base classes of your choosing.
>>
>>44313315
Just ask him why and if he can't come up with a good, satisfying answer, ban this concept, because you, as a GM, have full rights to ban something out of your session if you don't want to see it.
>>
>>44313315
SIMPLE
stop railroding stuff and do sandbox

the consequences of being a kid will naturally influence the game at some moment and he will think "why I picked a kid instead of an adult"
>>
>>44339611
>The poin is a PC isn't an 'average' man or woman
Not every rpg is d&d
>>
>>44343012
>I'm so edgy and alternative, I even know there are other rpgs than D&D
Yeah, but OP was talking about D&D and the only game this thread ever explicitly referred to is D&D
>>
>>44331463

http://the-orator.deviantart.com/
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.