[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CofD/ Chronicles of Darkness General /wodg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: Bar the Door.png (565 KB, 620x487) Image search: [Google]
Bar the Door.png
565 KB, 620x487
Same theme as last time.

Have any of you ever used WoD for a game not set in the traditional World of Darkness? Any of the Mirrors stuff or alternate options in the Chronicler's Guides. Or just thought of something new yourself.

What suggestions do you have for running a different type of World of Darkness game? Whether it's a Dark Era you'd want to use, or even something more extreme like a fantasy or cyberpunk setting.

Previously >>44281462

---------------------------------------------------------
>Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-changeling-the-dreaming-20th-anniversary-ed
>The Onyx Path Official Website
http://theonyxpath.com/
>Drive-Thru RPG, for all your legally-obtained book needs
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/
>A Mega bin, for your less legally-obtained book needs
https://mega.nz/#F!wpB0ib4a!EsAU0AE4ihrNlDWzp3-MIw
>The Chronicles of Darkness Core Book(Which isn't in the Mega link)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Abn1a6PgUCa19KbjdNcmNMWms/view?pli=1MWms/view?pli=1
>>
>>44310113
A friend of mine once used core to run a prohibition era Gangsters mortals game. Almost no supernatural stuff except for this one weird guy who could steal Willpower points with a touch.
>>
Last week we played with the alternate "automatic damage" rule in nWoD. The part I liked was how quick combat was compared to our last session, but the part I didn't like was how one of the players got knocked into aggravated with a single hit from a shotgun, and another player knocked an npc into full lethal with a single shot from his revolver.

Tips? Should we nix it? I've asked the group about it, but they're split down the middle.
>>
Chronicles of Fagness
>>
>>44309807
>Arm *what* populace? Most prepper types are from the US where they can already get arms. Most other places that don't have ready access to arms have populations who aren't interested in violent uprisings and are more likely to shop the dealer to the authorities than want to buy revolutionary quantities of guns.
Iunno, Chris. I mean, I know that the US is the place with the most obvious crazy prepper types, but that doesn't mean the sentiment can't take hold in other countries. Plus, I know you Euroes think we can just buy guns at the corner store, but "Revolutionary" quantities of guns is really not that easy to get. Most anti-government militia aren't going to have legally obtained weapons, even when they could get them from a gun show.

>>44310195
Automatic damage is now standard in 2e. You don't add weapon bonus, which I'm guessing is what you did if someone got knocked to Aggravated from a shotgun blast. Then again, with no Defense against firearms it's not impossible. Most of the time it shouldn't do TOO much, though. On average a Shotgun (damage rating 3) shouldn't do more than 7 damage on a good roll. Crippling, and requiring immediate medical attention, but usually not instantly fatal.
But shotguns are also... you know, shotguns. If you expect you're going to encounter guns, wearing a vest is probably a good idea.
>>
>>44310369
Well yeah. It was his own fault for going to fight some gangsters without any armor and not being himself tempalted.

But to clarify, when I said nWoD, I meant 1e. I just sort of assumed that 2e was being refereed to as Chronicles and 1e was just nWoD. In nWod, the automatic damage rule means you don't add the weapon's dice mod to the attack roll, but instead add however many successes you achieve to the weapon mod as damage. Like Shadowrun 5e. Shotguns get a dice mod of 4 and 9 again on top of that, so all someone has to roll to get someone knocked out is 3 or 4 successes.

And since the dude didn't have a vest, all of the damage was lethal, which means it rolled over into aggravated.
>>
>>44310195
Are you still adding the weapon bonus to the attack roll as well? Because you shouldn't, and you'd need 4 successes to knock the average human into aggravated damage with a shotgun blast, which should be relatively uncommon for most characters.

Don't forget the dropping prone rules (you can reflexively drop prone to gain a defense bonus to a firearms attack). You can do this before a gunman's attack even if his turn is before yours, I believe.

Don't forget also the penalty to initiative that weapons inflict. This is crucial especially for the bigger guns, giving an unnarmed character time to run for cover/concealment (also important) or grapple the opponent/run away.

Don't forget also the penalties for shooting in close combat if you're trying not to hit your allies.

Maybe something there will help. At the end of the day though, getting hit by a shotgun is supposed to mess you up pretty bad, so it's at least realistic.
>>
>>44309756
>He Chris, one of my players wants to play an Empty Wolf. That is, an Uratha who has been subject to the Dread Power of an Idigam. He understands that he would never be allowed to use gifts beyond his starting ones, but is there anything else that would complicate this option?

Quite a lot of things, yes.

For starters, he’s been the mentally compliant zealot-servant of a shuddering abomination from the dark side of the moon. Even with the idigam gone, if he hasn’t just collapsed into utter madness or gone catatonic he’s been metaphysically mutilated, merged with an alien force and had the sole reason for his continued existence taken away. That’s quite a low place to start from. Not impossible, and there’s perhaps interesting story to be found in the tale of the Empty Wolf strong-willed enough to survive an idigam’s death with enough personality to be more than just a monster, trying to crawl his way back up to being someone and something defined by his own will rather than the Moon-Banished. Then again, maybe he’s just trying to figure out how to cause the return of his master again.

On top of that, he’s either got a foreign soul wedged where his should be, and is plain mad, or has a spirit welded into his Essence flows and is a Claimed. He’s also probably horrendously powerful; remember that Claimed add the spirit’s stat dots to the host over time, have Dread Powers, etc etc.

> And would you ever allow this in one of your games?

I don’t think so. There’s potential for an interesting PC - the rogue Empty Wolf somehow more than just a beast, seeking redemption or power or revenge or the return of his master or whatnot. Honestly, though, he’s likely to be either mentally broken or be fused with the mentality and aims of a spirit, neither of which are conducive to fun play as a PC.

(cont)
>>
>>44310495
>What does it really mean to have removed your soul?

For a werewolf, quite a lot. We haven’t really explored this much as yet, but it’s something I want to delve into – how the soul of a werewolf is wound together with the whole Essence flows thing, intertwined with Renown, Facets and Gifts. It’s extremely hard to dislodge, remove or exchange a werewolf’s soul because it’s so anchored into the spiritual power of the creature – and that, in turn, is anchored in the Flesh just as much as the more ephemeral side of the Uratha. Tearing the soul out of a werewolf is a serious piece of metaphysical surgery, and I reckon idigam should be pretty much the only sort of entity capable of doing it on that wholescale scope due to their mastery of Essence manipulation.

>Does he count as Uratha or Claimed for the purposes of abilities?

Both.

(cont)
>>
>>44310535
>Is he in any part the Uratha he was before or just an empty husk that a spirit is wearing?

This depends on the idigam and the spirit. He may well be partially the Uratha he was before, but he will probably be mentally reconditioned to serve the idigam; at the very least he will have possessed immense loyalty to it. He’s also merged with a spirit – he no longer has his old mind whole. He might be stark raving mad, may be simply the spirit with a few traces of the old werewolf in there, might be a messy patchwork of the two, or maybe he’s locked in there in his own mind, just screaming and screaming and screaming into the nothing as he experiences life as a passenger behind his own eyes. Certainly, whoever he was is no longer really there; at best he’s something entirely new, at worst he’s a trippy meat suit for the spirit. If the spirit was really, really harmonious with who and what he was before the Claiming then there might be an equitable partnership or ‘just’ a significant personality change, but again even this more benevolent fusion is more likely to result in the ‘something new’ category, something *more* than either partner could be by themselves.

Also, even if he manages to pull the pity vote from other werewolves, Blood Talons and Storm Lords alike are gonna have a *serious* problem with his existence. I can also imagine Bone Shadows wanting to whisk him away to an occult laboratory to pick him apart and see just how the spiritual side of this ‘Empty Wolf’ thing works.
>>
>>44310474
In 2e, weapons basically have one less damage, but do auto. So while in 1e a shotgun is 4, in 2e it's 3. Mostly to prevent what your problem is.

I'd suggest trying out 2e/CofD. I really love it, and I'm someone who thought 1e was actually pretty great, even despite the way it combined accuracy and damage.
>>
>>44310494
>penalty to initiative

I didn't know about this. At least not in 1e. I thought that if you had enough strength to meet the requirement, you didn't incur initiative penalties. If you don't have the required strength, then you take penalties.

Not that it mattered, since they all went before the npc anyway and still got really fucked up.
>>
>>44310564
I will definitely try it out, but I don't want to do a conversion halfway through the chronicle. Even if it's really easy, we already know the rules to this game fairly well, and I guarantee some of my boys will get confused if we transfer to a different edition.
>>
>>44310566
I was referring to all the 2e rules that help balance out the auto damage effect. In 1e initiative penalties weren't a thing. I'd suggest incorporating that and/or at least a few of those rules (especially removing weapon bonus from attacks) if you want to use auto damage. Otherwise, yeah you're going to have an incredibly lethal game.
>>
>>44310566
Penalty to initiative is a 2e thing. Weapons now have a lot more options for them besides just a dice bonus.

Initiative, Strength requirement, Size, Damage Rating, and any special qualities. Also Availability, but the Availability ratings are wildly innacurate (a machete is Resources 2) and I've never seen anyone bother with them.

As an example of how things are different, in 1e a chainsaw was something like -3 with 8-Again. In 2e it's 5 damage with 9-Again and a -6 Initiative penalty. It could also just as easily have a penalty to the attack roll but a bonus to the damage roll. Silencers actually act as stabilizers and add +1 to Firearms rolls, for instance, so a silenced pistol is +1 and 2 damage.
>>
>>44310369
>I mean, I know that the US is the place with the most obvious crazy prepper types, but that doesn't mean the sentiment can't take hold in other countries.

Not preppers, so much. To be fair, though, I probably should have just made the fairly simple mental step and considered the other close-by forms that a mage might want to arm, like separatists and extremists. A mage who does want to arm such groups will probably find it pretty easy to do so.
>>
>>44310696
I kind of like the insane lethality of it. I'm introducing their templates to them over a period of time, so they start off as just normal humans, and I like how now whenever someone pulls out a gun (especially something like a shotgun or rifle), everyone hits the deck and starts trying to think of ways to disable the weapon or disarm the npc instead of just getting in a straight fight.
>>
>>44310561
Thanks for the detailed response.

I was leaning toward it being too complicated a character concept (for him as well as me), and besides I suspect that the character was one he was likely to find much more interesting in ideation than in actually play.

He did sell it really well though. And I do have a soft spot for characters that incidentally introduce that sort of controversy to a pack.

I'll maybe try to come up with a compromise for him or just keep it off the books for now, though perhaps introduce and encounter with that dread power that may temporarily give his character what he wants.

I definitely look forward to seeing the Soulless explored though, it all sounds pretty fascinating.
>>
>>44310734
Even then, your Kureshes and your Jim Joneses won't be getting legal arms. It's the single-person shooters who are able to do their thing with legal guns. If you want to arm a bunch of Sovereign Citizens, you'd need gun runners.
>>
>tfw Onyx Path gave you super noncommital answers when you asked about your two favorite potential books

I don't know what I expected.
>>
Changeling 2e's redlines seem to be fully underway. Despite my misgivings about some aspects of the game, I'm pretty excited that the project's moving along.
>>
>>44311011

Chin up, Atamajakki, we're going to get them. There's enough fanbase for both on the net (if not necessarily here) to make those happen. On that note, Rich Danksy's Wraith20 retreat seems like it went pretty well! Very excited to see that book (hopefully) next year.
>>
>>44310734
>>44309576
>An Awakened with Space can trivially move illegal arms around, though it's questionable as to why one would *want* to take on such a role in the first place. It's not like cash is difficult for a mage to get.

Not all Awakened are part of the Pentacle. An underground arms dealer would appear to be a perfect role for a Seer serving the Praetorian Ministry.
>>
>>44311078
Speaking of which, is anyone else somewhat annoyed that the Courts are now less Courts, and more cogs in a cloaking device?

I mean, why would anyone want to disrupt the balance?
What happens in areas where there are hardly any Changelings, and one Court dies out?
Plus going without a Court is now less of a declaration that you do not wish to embrace a specific emotion, and more a statement that you don't care about the community's health.
>>
>>44311141
Wouldn't being the person behind him be better?
Sounds more like one of the Nameless to me, or an Arrow Apostate.
>>
>>44311138

Dansky is a great guy. I've briefly spoken to him and he's incredible. I hope Wraith20 comes out in my lifetime, because it's shaping up great.

I severely doubt we're ever getting Mummy stuff beyond the things currently on the schedule. Maybe we'll get a 2e in a few years?
>>
There's a new Bundle of Holding full of Mage: the Ascension stuff, BTW.
>>
>>44311235
Technically "cogs in a cloaking device" is what Courts have always been. The whole point of the Seasonal (and later Day/Night/Dusk/Dawn) Courts was that willingly giving up power on a regular basis confuses the Fae, and the whole point of the Directional Courts was that sharing power was strange to the Fae. Although frankly both of those notions are kind of silly, since willingly giving up power is strange to most humans, but to the Fae doing something because "that's how it's supposed to be" is normal. I mean, a True Fae "dies" at the end of the play because that's what's supposed to happen to the monster, and then it makes the Hero do it over and over again.

That never stopped anyone from disrupting the balance in 1e, though. The whole point of the Courts was to keep out the Others and protect all the Changelings of the city, yet every example of a Freehold--from Miami to all the SAS--has people either fucking up the balance of Seasons or threatening to.

I actually really like the new Freehold stuff, because I always found the Seasonal Courts a bit boring. Changeling was the one game where you got different global organizations, but it really only paid lip service to that, and even some examples in one of the book were Seasons, just not Eurocentric seasons (Wet and Dry Courts for places that have famine and flood). I loved the more offbeat Courts and wished we got more of them, so create-your-own rules are great.

Vampire 2e also has a few examples of different Covenants in the corebook, like how Tokyo is run by four mafia corporations, and one Asian domain had an alternate version of the Ordo. I want to see more of that. I need to read the Domains again some time. I want to see some 2e stuff about groups like the Brides of Dracula (biker vampires lead by Count F▆▆▆king Dracula) and other offbeat Covenants.
>>
>>44311335

If CAS hurries the hell up and finishes the Mummy line, then it shouldn't be too long. If we're lucky, Geist'll be announced in 2016, so Mummy 2e would be announced in 2017, and probably come out 2018-2019.

Man, I'd love to work on Mummy 2e, though. I've got some ideas for a more robust Relic system that I think folks'll love. I've had more than enough time to design how a 2e would work in my head.
>>
>>44312257

Literally all I want from Mummy that isn't already here:

>mortal sorcerers
>Book of Going Westward
>a modern Asian setting
>a historical setting outside of Egypt's usual reach

That's it. The game is nearly perfect already.
>>
>>44312569

It could use some mechanical tuneups for easier play, but you're totally right, it needs all that stuff in it too. Mortal sorcerers are the missing link to Pyramid play, I think, and over the winter I'm gonna write some up. Hopefully I'll share them with the thread, that'll be fun!
>>
>>44312257
Do share this relic system idea you have. I would love to see that.
>>
>>44312569
>>44312642

The game would be vastly improved by a book dedicated to playing as cultists.

But the CofD has needed a book about organizations for ages, now. Seriously; Hunter feels half-baked and nearly every game has dozens of options for membership and command of groups, yet there's no mechanics for any of it.
>>
http://theonyxpath.com/we-like-being-asked-anything-monday-meeting-notes/

>Secrets of the Covenants has entered Post-Editing Development
>Mage 2e about to enter layout
>Dreams of Avarice ready for Paradox approval

https://youtu.be/XFX8S9aAgvw?t=33s

Today is a good day.

>>44312723

I'll do that once I have something more solid and I put it through its paces in my Mummy group. I want to be sure it's the best system possible. I've also got a 1e version for the game I'm playing now and a theoretical 2e version that's gonna be harder to test, so I need to straighten out both types.
>>
First Werewolf game in way too long last night. Did Siskur Dah, ate a wolfblooded, found 50,000 dollars and decided to make a locus.
>>
>>44313100

Sounds like a good time. What's your Locus like?
>>
Any guidelines I should follow if I want to allow stuff from Armory in my 2e game?

"Reduce everything's damage by 1" i know, but anything else?
>>
>>44313200
We haven't made it yet, but it'll probably be based around a frathouse our totem uses as a lair
>>
Remember to message Rich in the MMMN about getting Chris to make us drugs.

Chris you want to make us drugs right?
>>
>>44313236

Maybe take a look and see the Initiative modifiers on the 2e weapons and apply them to weapons of similar types in Armory?
>>
File: The Court of Owls.png (1 MB, 1280x617) Image search: [Google]
The Court of Owls.png
1 MB, 1280x617
>"Beware The Court of Owls, that watches all the time, ruling Gotham from a shadow perch, behind granite and lime. They watch you at your hearth, they watch you in your bed, speak not a whispered word of them or they'll send The Talon for your head."
Comics have so many good ideas mired in the whole themed vigilante thing.

I wonder if Deviant will finally let me scratch my low powered hero itch.
>>
>>44315963

Considering that low power is its focus, I would hope so. Otherwise, Trinity's probably going to cover that.
>>
>>44316185
Yeah. I've wanted to do a game based on Dark Angel for a while.

Players are people who wake up in an abandoned lab and they have superpowers and decide to be vigilantes while also hiding from the people who are hunting them.
>>
>>44316226
Dark Angel is exactly what I thought of when I heard the blurb.
>>
>>44311335

Is Wraith going to be a full new edition or just another compilation of rules?
>>
>>44312257

Mage was supposed to come out like last year and wont be out until next year. I wouldn't expect Geist or Mummy to come out until 2020.
>>
>>44317787

Compilation

And what do you mean "just another" do you see the thing they did with Mage 20? You should be glad you get "just another" compilation
>>
>>44317845
>>44317787
It's a complete 20th Edition, not just a "compilation".
>>
File: demon snake.jpg (21 KB, 849x454) Image search: [Google]
demon snake.jpg
21 KB, 849x454
>>44315963

I just want to become a demon.
>>
>>44317811

does mike take Christmas holidays? how long does layout usually take? its like another 2 months isn't it.

oh god why
>>
>>44318258
Good, you're learning that you need to give some context before you start.
>>
File: the matrix has you.png (6 KB, 128x130) Image search: [Google]
the matrix has you.png
6 KB, 128x130
>>44318376
i give up
>>
>>44318687
that was a compliment.
>>
>>44318708
ok lets do this step by step and keep it short
no rambling
>will a ST even allow a bloodline?
>can you kiasyd without the stereotype librarian tag?
>what group would not kill a weirdling on sight?
>>
>tfw Christmas is bad for RP
I don't want to start my game until after Christmas... but I really want to start my game.

>>44318687
>>44318258
Why do you keep posting that weirdness? What does the Matrix have to do with VtM?

>>44318781
You have really got to learn how to type.
>>
>>44318809
>oh no that foreigner is showing interest in out little cult better snob him out
this is why pen and paper is dying because of elitists like you
>>
>>44318781
>will a ST even allow a bloodline?
Depends, have you talked to him about it?
>can you kiasyd without the stereotype librarian tag?
Maybe a notable scientist? That could lead to some more...inventive uses of Mytheceria.
What does your group consist of? I can see you earning the ire of a Changeling Motley (Mytheceria makes you WAY to close to a member of the True Fae for their comfort), or one of the Hunter groups.
>>
>>44318846
Asking that you make sense isn't being an elitist. I'm not telling you to get out, I'm just asking that you use clarity.

Let me figure out how to piece this together. You want to know if your ST would let you play a Kiasyd? None of us can answer that question; if you've got an ST, then ask them. If you don't, then you're just theorycrafting and coming up with an interesting concept.

Can you play a kiasyd without being a stereotype? As much as you can be any sort of vampire without being the stereotype. You're a weird faerie vampire. You can do whatever you'd imagine a faerie vampire doing.

How would your character function in a group without being killed on sight? Well, most players aren't actually murderhobos who'd use any excuse to kill a fellow PC. Nosferatu also exist without being burned, so I doubt a faeriepire would raise many more eyebrows.

>>44318889
I think this is for oWoD, though I can't be sure, which is one of the things that could be helped if he was clear about what he wants.
>>
>>44318889
>Depends, have you talked to him about it?
i don´t have a group.... i was more looking for good reasons/excuses to bring a kiasyd to a table without offending the working class gangrels/brujas

meaning what group i can go to to help me survive my first nights. from what i understand
kyasids are very few and far apart. and also most likely top targets for diablery sooo...
pretend to be a very tall nossie?

also a year ago i posted on here and someone told me about something called the strassburgian kiasyd but i have completely forgotten what that was all aboot
>>
>>44318958
>I think this is for oWoD, though I can't be sure
Given that the Kiasyd are a Malkavian bloodline and the Malkavs were only a thing in oWoD, I'd say yes.
>>
File: court-of-owls1.jpg (125 KB, 900x432) Image search: [Google]
court-of-owls1.jpg
125 KB, 900x432
>>44315963
>>
>>44319080
>kyasids are very few and far apart. and also most likely top targets for diablery sooo...pretend to be a very tall nossie?

That sounds good, the Nossie bloodline curse is being visually weird to look at, be that looking like something death or just looking "Wrong", I guess a looming faeriepire would fit the bill.
>>
>>44319099
Losambra. Malkavians are a thing in nWoD as well.

I'm actually looking over the V20 version of Kaisyd and thinking of how I'd make them in VtR2e.
>>
>>44319143
cool. say as a faeripire ain´t i a little to snobish to live in the sewers? on the other hand im surrounded by stone and darkness, both motives that appear in 2ed .. or was it 20?

>>44319153
you should know! what was the version where fariepires got like all tge geomancer skills if they had put points in mystherica?
also what gen would i have to be to use goblinism? and what rules apply to them since it only says as i recall
"summon goblins that can warp stone for you"
do i have to feed them?
>>
>>44319246
I once again have no idea what you're saying.
>>
>>44319267
He's asking whether or not they got the ability to manipulate stone with their bloodline power. He's also asking about summoning goblins to work for him.
>>
How do I politely tell players to keep their mouth shut during tense scenes where they are not present? Like, say one person is seperated from the group and something spooky is happening and people are making jokes about the situation or suggestions and talking over each other in order to backseat play someone else's segment?
>>
>>44319267
as i recall the mytherceria discipline was entirely different in 20th and decond edition
one hat that riddle theme with "the grandest trick!"
the other hat more of a geomancer thing going on with the last dot being basilisks touche effectively transforming someone into a statue
>>
>>44319246
Stone Trave, Earth Sword and Basilisk Touch are all advanced powers from the second edition. Whereas Goblinism requires you to have three dots in Mytheceria and is also from second edition.
>>
>>44319375
'Dude, please, stop interrupting' or something to that order.
>>
>>44319267

It really isn't that hard. Your brain should be able to fill in words due to context. If you can't tell that tge is a typo for the, or that faeriepire is a portmanteau of faerie and vampire, then the problem lies with you.

I understand that you want people to be clear for your benefit, and that is fair. But it always makes YOU look like the retarded one when you say that you can't actually understand what someone is saying.
>>
>>44319375
spooky music
wisecracking groups are tough
maybe they joke because its actually so spooky and well told that they have to distract themselves .
no joke. a friend of mine does it all the time when we are watching horror movies
>>
>>44319444
That wasn't the part that I was having trouble with. For one, I'm the one who first used "faeriepire" in this thread. It's the rest of the post that sounds like Babbelfish, but apparently he's mixing up a bunch of Disciplines.
>>
>>44319447
Spooky music is actually really good. Music tends to work wonders when setting an atmosphere.

And I don't usually feel like there's a problem with them joking about it the situation, even if they're not there (so long as they're closely involved with the events and I have no reason to hide them from the entire group, that is). However, I don't acknowledge suggestions or questions from the other group members if I'm doing a one-on-one unless they're specifically asking if, say, they can see Jacob acting weirdly in the alley or something.
>>
>>44319482
>but apparently he's mixing up a bunch of Disciplines.
Nope, Mytheceria does let you summon goblins and manipulate stone in second edition.
>>
File: 386476134723784.jpg (3 KB, 124x91) Image search: [Google]
386476134723784.jpg
3 KB, 124x91
>>44319392
>>44319080
>>44318781
>>44319246
my apologies to /CofD/ /wodg/ for all the type-o-s and the grammar straight our of the 90s
but hey you can always tell who is posting these crappy kiasyd ideas and like filter me or something
>>
>>44319375
Reward XP/Beats for good out of character conduct in such situations.
>>
>>44319526
There is nothing wrong with English as a nom-first language. Some anon just has shitty reading comprehension. Your posts are much more coherent this thread, so you are doing fine.
>>
File: käthe.jpg (79 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
käthe.jpg
79 KB, 600x450
>>44319587
>nom-first language
d-did you put that in just for me?
so i can feel a bit better?
t thanks anon
>>
>>44319526
You're fine, dude. Honestly it's just the little things you need to work on like punctuation and some small spelling mistakes.
>>
>>44319482

Everyone else can understand it. Its not easy and fluid, but its not really difficult to get it either. There should be enough contextual clues for you to be able to string the meanings along. If you can't, that actually makes you abnormal. Human brains are built to be able to understand gibberish like this. If your brain isn't filtering the information and filling in the blanks then that is your problem and you should probably get it checked out.
>>
File: laughing dog.jpg (38 KB, 398x414) Image search: [Google]
laughing dog.jpg
38 KB, 398x414
>>44319664

And playing oWoD
>>
File: 1432126666055.jpg (101 KB, 854x640) Image search: [Google]
1432126666055.jpg
101 KB, 854x640
>>44319720
i wish i was playing any world of darkness....
>>
>>44319720
Oh snap!
>>
Hoo boy, so last session I ran of hunter went...interestingly. It was a bit of a half session to finish things off as a player had to bail earlier the day before, the party were trying to help their boss convince a couple of vampires that their current location was not the best choice of operation and that for their safety, they needed to move. After some slap-dash social maneuvering the least likely candidate(A literal hitman) manages to calm things down with what equated to a plea to common sense followed by their boss acing a roll to convince the other side. They end up taking 'em back to the bar to collect their friend(Whom was told to stay behind in case they needed someone to let them back in) and end up getting tailed by some friendly folks from the local cult/security firm, they decide(one of them anyway) to try to get the drop on them, they pull into an alley, wait for their would-be followers to pass and open up on them, destroying both their right tires and causing them to crash into a nearby phone pole, unfortunately I actually didn't think they'd open fire on someone who was just following them, the chucklefucks were more or less a hit-squad that was supposed to follow them back to their boss, call it in, wait for them to leave and then turn the place into a blood-bath. Instead, the party gets in a relatively short but bloody fire-fight as three of them fight three men with full automatic weapons(Of note, one of the party members had only a handgun at his disposal), just about everyone except the driver, who only comes to near the nd of the fight end up badly shot up and beaten down(this includes the party, who received a barrage of full-auto fire), driver calls for retreat and they all fuck off while the party call it in. All in all, a great session in my book .
>>
>>44319964
Don't forget Johnny "jungle genocide" Jackson stole there p90
>>
>>44316784

I haven't seen it (I don't even know if it was shown in my country) but perusing Wikipedia about it... Yeah, that sounds like Deviant.
>>
Pulling comments addressed to me from the last thread.

>>44306123
>Do you know who is behind the transfer of all distances in the CofD core book from Imperial to Metric?

Lots of people, including myself. My inability to visualize a yard has caused me pain in the past.

>>44306726
>Have you got all the writers for Deviant? What should people write if they want to apply for a new line?

No, I'm still on the lookout for promising newbies. Every Dev has different opinions on what they look for in a sample - what I'll hire someone for is almost the opposite of what some of the others look for, beyond the basics of keeping to the guidelines. I hate it when people try to copy our pdf structure, fonts, borders and all. I really like mechanics that reinforce the play behaviour desired in the game - if you can see my influence in second edition Storytelling's mechanical base anywhere, it's the way the system bribes players into acting like their characters should in CofD's setting and genre. Look at what I've described about what I've done to Awakening's Paradox system for the clearest example.

So we need to see that you can write both descriptive text and mechanics. For me, they should be about the same thing - if you describe an artifact and then give its rules, that's fine (though, as I say, to *impress* me do something with a flair of narrative mechanics to it). Other Devs prefer straight-up "a fiction chunk, and then a mechanical piece which may be completely unrelated".

For those waiting for the Hunter open call, I have *no idea* what Monica looks for. Best of luck!

Oh, and Deviant especially; you can't possibly know what Deviant's core mechanics and setting will be like, so don't worry about it. Do something that only uses the CofD corebook, and mark your submission "for Deviant".
>>
>>44321458
>My inability to visualize a yard has caused me pain in the past.

I thought you were British?
>>
>>44308991
>Speaking of which, is it known what Monica did before taking the lead on this?

http://www.mlvwrites.com/games-published

Monica's last two games were the upcoming Conan RPG for Modiphius and the Firefly RPG for Margaret Weis Productions.
>>
>>44321470
>I thought you were British?
His posts sure don't read British. He's conscious about things few if any Brits would be conscious about.
>>
>>44321470
I was born in 1979. My upbringing was strictly Metric. I only use Imperial for miles.
>>
>>44321494

I am in fact a subject of her Majesty.
>>
>>44321506
You measure yourself in metres and kilos?

Freak.
>>
>>44313397
This post sounds amazing out of context.

>>44321470
We don't really measure things in yards in Britain these days, desu, we use metric.

Although we do use miles rather than kilometres for distances because shut up, that's why.
>>
>>44313397
I want Chris and Smiling Shade to make all the drugs.
>>44321535
>We don't really measure things in yards in Britain these days, desu, we use metric.
>desu
Thanks Hiro.
>>
>>44321551
>desu

What the fuck. Why... why would it autocorrect to that? That was supposed to be 'desu'.

I'm a little scared now.
>>
>>44321567
desu = tb
>>
>>44321567
....whut.

Clearly 4chan does not approve of my use of the shorthand for 'to be honest'.
>>
>>44321567
kek
>>
>>44312835
Second Sight.
>>
>>44321576
So close

senpaitachi = fa
>>
>>44321576
I hadn't ever noticed that before.

>>44321526
You are indeed one of Menos' flock, yes.
>>
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/37002/transylvania-medley
Why.
>>
>tfw yurocucks taking over WoD
>>
File: 1390671286519.jpg (242 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
1390671286519.jpg
242 KB, 1000x664
>>44321638
Careful who you insult, you don't want your firstborn's soul to end up in The Pasty.
>>
So, how exactly did tells work in 1E and how can they be ported over to 2E? I'm lead to believe the basic way it worked was that you could change your moral code after you did some fucked up shit, "but" you started taking penalties to interact with normal humans and in exchange could change it. How far exactly could you change your moral code? how would you lot port it over to 2E?
>>
>>44321024
You totally didn't "steal" it, they fucked off without it, bloodied and pretty much beaten.
>>
>>44321458
Dave, just want to help you out here. Yards and meters are so similar if you just want to get a rough visualization there's no problem in swapping the two.
>>
>>44321744
Tells in Hunter were basically creepy serial killer quirks.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuGeKM0QDbc
Golbin Fruit that tastes like the emotion it was grown with when?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oIX2HMqd_U
What would you expect for a Game set in Morioh? aside from Stands
>>
>>44321990
>>44322083
These posts are not productive. At best they create circlejerking about the media property.
>>
>>44322119
Your post is not productive. At best you could have a game set in a japanese town that was an expy of Morioh, but has some of the details changed to suit a specific gameline. In Hunter Kira Yoshikage would be a Slasher who enjoyed brutally murdering women and collecting their hands as his trophies, in Mage he would be an Obrimos who dabbled in Time.
>>
>>44321638
Best writers are British, owners are Swedish.

Hey. Apart from Chris and Dave, who else is a brit? Neall Price sounds British, but names can be deceiving.
>>
>>44317787
>>44317845
>>44317894

Wraith20, much like the Changeling20 on Kickstarter now, is the Revised edition we never got. That means giving it a full lookover, as opposed to the mild to medium polish of the other books.

>>44321458

I'm actually really glad that Monica's doing a Hunter focused Open Call, because one of the scariest things about doing my submission was never being sure what folks wanted. It felt like running into a forest blind, and I think a focused submission period will be more comfortable for a lot of aspiring freelancers.
>>
https://youtu.be/sEoG8YQrLuE
>>
File: serpentrock.jpg (544 KB, 800x1160) Image search: [Google]
serpentrock.jpg
544 KB, 800x1160
I've been wondering. Would you consider a split of Streetwise into Streetwise and Criminology a la Delta Green wise? Last couple threads made me think that this kind of move would help focus the Skill much more than is presently possible.

Under the current system, breaking a lock goes under Larceny, tying up someone securely is Crafts (or that's how we usually handle it) finding a source of narcotics requires Streetwise and Contacts (merits are expensive) and hacking is handled by Computer.

The addition of Criminology might enable a far more granular approach.

Sounds cool, or superfluous?
>>44322400
>because one of the scariest things about doing my submission was never being sure what folks wanted.
I think something for Hunter or Vampire is always a good bet.

>>44322083
For setup, I'd establish that Uratha are fairly rare in Japan while the Gauntlet is far thinner than other places. Looking at Shinto it seems like a logical enough conclusion to draw; Humans had to look out for themselves since there were few or no Werewolves to do it for them.

Morioh itself has an even thinner Gauntlet which causes many weird occurrences.

In short, I'd expect a Mortals/Hunter campaign with a fairly low powerlevel that focuses on investigation.

>>44321551
If Chris would want to have me I'd be honoured to do this kind of thing.
>>44310369
>but that doesn't mean the sentiment can't take hold in other countries.
Silver Ladder or Free Council arming the populace of a country to drive out its (presumably) Seer-controlled dictator? Sounds good to me.

They're Mages; They needn't believe in peaceful revolution.
>>
>>44319375
Have the other players leave the room until the scene is over
>>
>>44322628
Criminology falls under Investigation.
>>
>>44322628
>>44322684
Delta Green is also shit senpai.
>>
>>44322276
Amy was half Romanian
>>
>>44322774
No. She is fucking American.
She is partially of Romanian heritage, but that's not the same fucking thing.
>>
>>44310113
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEoG8YQrLuE&feature=youtu.be
has this been posted here? The part about onyx path was cut right?
>>
>>44322818
Only here:
>>44322615
>>
>>44322849
right, should've looked a bit harder
>>
>>44322818

I think the Chronicles of Darkness portion may have been cut some, but I'd need to compare it to the the uncut version a fan uploaded.
>>
>>44322628
>For setup, I'd establish that Uratha are fairly rare in Japan while the Gauntlet is far thinner than other places. Looking at Shinto it seems like a logical enough conclusion to draw; Humans had to look out for themselves since there were few or no Werewolves to do it for them.
>Morioh itself has an even thinner Gauntlet which causes many weird occurrences.
>In short, I'd expect a Mortals/Hunter campaign with a fairly low powerlevel that focuses on investigation.
Bretty good Shade, I think that I came up with a rather good Slasher interpretation of Kira here>>44322168
>>
>>44321982
Yea, I saw that much. I guess I referred to hem a bit incorrectly, my question was supposed to be primed towards trigger points and how they'll work with the new integrity system.
>>
>>44322915
It is all good. I see they are going Windows 10 with WoD now. Interesting.
>>
>>44323163
Oh. No idea. The Code seems to actually be what the current VtR Bane system is based on.
>>44323213
What do you mean?
>>
>>44322628

It was less "What line to submit for?" and more "I hope I've got something one of the line developers're looking for". WoD games tend to be so varied in the style that it can be hard to get a feel for a developer's needs for a line.
>>
>>44323228
One World of Darkness.
Unification/Bringing it up to date on all of the platforms/worlds.
>>
>>44323287
That's fair.
>>44323102
>>44322168
Slasher might be interesting, though I'd perhaps instead make him Spirit-Claimed by a Magath of Beauty/Murder. The composite entity resulting from the merger has access to the Blast Dread power and a couple Numina related to time.

It seems to fit his predilections including his reclusive nature which AFAIR is quite typical for Claimed.
>>44322703
Why do you say so?
>>44322684
It does, but Criminology in DG can cover also acts related to committing crimes.
>>
>>44323291

I do hope it works out for them. There's going to be a lot of issues to work out in unifying the setting. Reconciling the cosmological aspects of the Big Three is probably the most pressing matter.
>>
>>44323399
Coolio, checked and double checked
>>
>>44323408
Well, it kind of depends on how they are going about it. Or, how Paradox is going about it. I mean, if Paradox is as cool as they make it out them to be, then they have plenty of time, no pressure and they can work away. But if they going to get shafted after first thing Paradox decides they don't like (talking about PC games mostly), then they back to making Kickstarters for all the tabletop games again.
>>
>>44323480

Onyx Path isn't working on One World of Darkness. White Wolf is doing the tabletop game in house, to come out at the same time as a AAA VtM video game. It does seem like Eddy Webb (developer of OPP's original VtM 4e) was consulted, and he claims that his vision of a new vision of VtM and Paradox's are very similar.

Video games take forever to make, so Paradox should have plenty of time to settle out how the One World of Darkness works.
>>
>>44323228
I might take a look at that. Either way, it's been something I'm trying to figure out how to port to 2E but with the weird way this all works compared to 1E and he lackluster explanation in mortal remains, it's been hard.
>>
http://theonyxpath.com/hunter-2e-open-dev-slashers-and-ashwood-abbey/

Folks, apparently Ashwood Abbey is a conspiracy now.
>>
>>44323941

I knew she was talking about Ashwood Abbey all those threads ago! Vindication!

...oh god an Ashwood Abbey Conspiracy? Jesus christ.
>>
>>44323941
>>44323978
Conspiracy is global, right?
>>
>>44324003

Yeah, but it she later refers to it as a "compact" so it might just be a typo.

Also, ya'll seriously need to comment on this blog, because this is a hell of a decision Monica's making about the Abbey. I don't think I've seen a heel turn proposal like this proposed so publicly before. I'm honestly torn over going with the second option or having the Abbey taken over the Hunt Club.
>>
>>44323941
No it isn't. Ashwood Abbey is now antagonists.

>>44324073
I'm also torn. On the one hand I'd like to play a rich hedonist who's NOT a bad guy, but on the other, Abbey's probably better as straight up antagonists as is.
>>
>>44324100
>>44323978
>>44324073
I meant that last time she posted she said she'd talk about a Conspiracy whose name begun with A.
>>
>>44324073

Taken over BY the Hunt Club, my mistake.

On one hand, the Abbey always teetered between good and bad, considering their nature. They've always be untrustworthy in the fiction, and being infiltrated by Slashers sounds like the right decision to raise the stakes. The idea of a new faction is intriguing.

On the other hand, that's an entire faction being shut out. I'm also not sure how the new faction will be "appropriate" for the mysteries of the Slasher Chronicle. There's a big question mark there, and sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
>>
Personally, I feel Ashwood Abbey should stay where it is. The game isn't called Paladin: the Redemption and there absolutely should be dark grey-ish and morally corrupt organizations for Hunters to be part of. Who's next to go, Cheiron?
>>
>>44324165
"We're doing it for the lulz" isn't morally grey, it's black.

Hunters really should be like Paladins. At the very least they should THINK they're doing the right thing. Ashwood Abbey and Cheiron really stand out among the original Hunter Orgs in that regard.

While Loyalists of Thule and Null Mysteriis aren't really *Hunters*, Cheiron and the Abbey aren't really on a *Vigil*.
>>
>>44324165

That is my big worry for 2e: That it'll be too easy to fall into "Hunters are absolutely the good guys", especially with Hunter fan influence. You need the folks who hunt for petty or downright wrong reasons.

That said, the Abbey in 1e may have leaned too much into being bad for the average player.
>>
>>44324318
Will heroes become Hunters?
>>
>>44324250
>While Loyalists of Thule and Null Mysteriis aren't really *Hunters*, Cheiron and the Abbey aren't really on a *Vigil*.

The difference between Cheiron employees and Abbey members is that the Cheiron employees will hunt down monsters to bring them back to headquarters. The Abbey might join the monsters, because it's fun and exciting.
>>
>>44324318
>You need the folks who hunt for petty or downright wrong reasons.
Why?
I don't get this notion that there should be bad guy Hunters. That's literally what a Slasher is.

Not wanting Hunters who hunt just for shits and giggles isn't the same as wanting pure white never wrong Hunters.

>>44324362
That doesn't really mean that Cheiron isn't bad. Also, Cheiron will work with monsters. They care about the bottom line, not gutting everything they see in the name of science.
>>
>>44324362
So Abbey are your typical D&D players - kill it because it's there and dangerous enough that you'll actually earn XP?
>>
>>44324385
Rather, kill it because it's exciting to do so.
>>
>>44324250

>Hunters really should be like Paladins. At the very least they should THINK they're doing the right thing.

This is exactly the kind of philosophy I'm worried about. Among Hunter diehards, there's this tendency to want to present "Vigil as high moral ideal" as fact rather than as the sales pitch. They want to focus on one specific story at the expense of others. I think it's important not to limit the game to "noble, brave heroes fighting the darkness", even if it's the one fans find the most comfortable.
>>
>>44324442
>"noble, brave heroes fighting the darkness"
Now I only played one shortlived game, but isn't the point more along the lines of paranoid vigilante neighbourhood watch with shotguns?
>>
>>44324568
Basically, yeah. All the organisations have HUGE flaws. Bigger than the ones of the major splats, I can add.
>>
>>44324379

Slashers aren't "bad guy Hunters", they're Slashers. You want unsavory folks to be on the Vigil because a big part of Hunter is its ambiguity towards the Hunt. You don't want the game believing in its own hype, we've seen what happens.

Does this mean the Abbey should slip in unchanged? Of course not, there's a clear problem with them where they're a bit too villanous. Monica's not wrong, and I think it's important for her to tackle this head on. That doesn't mean that their inclusion was a bad idea in the first place, since they are there for a thematic purpose.
>>
>>44321458
> I hate it when people try to copy our pdf structure, fonts, borders and all.

take notes, faggot-kun!
>>
File: Hunter Wallpaper.png (2 MB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
Hunter Wallpaper.png
2 MB, 1600x800
>>44324442
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that I'm just not being clear, as opposed to you not understanding me.

I'm not saying that Hunters should be noble brave heroes armed with moral clarity. I'm saying that they should THINK that they are. Hunters should be people who are able to assure themselves that what they do is for some higher purpose, even as they shove a schoolteacher's head down and use the paper slicer to take off her head. When you ask them why they Hunt, they should be giving you reasons like "justice" and "to protect" people.

The game is called "Hunter: The Vigil". It's not just about fighting monsters just because that's what you're supposed to do, it's about fighting monsters because holy shit there are fucking monsters out there!

I mean, do you own Hunter? Look at the back cover. Now, I agree with you; Hunters shouldn't be treated as if they're the good guys, because any one of them has the potential to be murdering not only supernaturals who try to live their lives as best they can and might even do good, but also regular people that the Hunters suspect of being monsters."I'm doing it because it gets me hard" and "I'm paid enough to not worry about morality" doesn't really fit in with upholding a vigil against the darkness, though.

Hunters should be morally grey. Most of them, even if it's deep down, are likely still on the vigil even after solving their original monster problem not because they want to prevent it from ever happening again, but because they enjoy the Hunt. They enjoy an outlet for their anger and violence that they can justify. "It's okay, it wasn't a teacher, it was a shadowy owl possessing her corpse. It would have killed those children. I did the right thing. I was justified in hearing that monster's screams. I was justified in enjoying it."
>>
>>44324379
Slashers pretty quickly tend to "stop" being hunters when they become slashers. I'm sure there are some hunters who are in a sorta weird limbo as they first turn, but it pretty quickly erodes away.
>>
>>44324568
>>44324640

Yeah, 1e Hunter, despite some missteps in the execution, presents a wide variety of factions with relatively strong pros and cons. The variations in worldview are important to establishing its paranoid tone. If everyone isn't taking the Vigil for the same or even the "right" reasons, how can you trust anyone that's not your own people?
>>
>>44324692
Cheiron and the Abbey, though? They're not morally grey. They don't really have any higher motivation. They don't have any lie they can tell themselves to justify their actions other than "It's fun" or "I get a paycheck". I don't even necessarily think that they're bad groups; I think they're interesting. I just think they work better as Antagonists because they're not really *Hunters* on a *Vigil*. They're just Hunters.

>>44324699
>>44324642
>Slashers aren't "bad guy Hunters", they're Slashers.
Actually, a thing presented in the Corebook that, judging from the blog, Monica seems to want to play to is the notion that the Vigil creates Slashers.
>Some humans, some hunters, go off the rails. They lose their minds. They give into evil. They are compelled to kill.
>Hunters know them as "slashers," and it seems a phenomenon that, worryingly, gathers strength. They're generally lone serial killers. Some kill to invoke "moral messages." Others kill to get revenge on those who wronged them. Others still pick a type -- teen girls, cross-dressers, father figures, psychotherapists -- and end those lives with great zeal and lots of blood.
>Of course, some hunters END UP as slashers, which is the most damning part of the whole thing. A hunter sees too much, loses his mind. Next thing you know, he's got a pair of cleavers and he goes after every member of a werewolf's family -- every child, every aunt, every distant relative. Or maybe the hunter sees every person as tainted by the supernatural, and in the strange puzzles and ciphers he leaves behind at every murder, he either imparts his wish to be caught or is unconsciously dropping clues to some ancient mystery that plagues the dark recesses of his mind.
[...]
>Why do slashers manifest supernatural powers? No hunter knows, but every hunter is afraid of the answer
[...]
>Can a hunter find success with this? Or will he find only a sucking void that threatens to make him a killer, too?
>>
>>44321458
>>44324662
>I hate it when people try to copy our pdf structure, fonts, borders and all.
Haha, I thought I was the only one who did that.
But yeah, I learned my lesson. I won't be doing that if I turn something in again.

I mean, I'm still going to do it for things I post in the thread, but not something I turn in for the open call.

>>44324755
Like I said, my problem isn't with "bad" Hunters so much as Hunters who don't at least think of themselves as the good guys. The Malleus Maleficarum can be just as monstrous as the Abbey, employing torture techniques straight out of the Inquisition. But at the end of the day when they're praying for forgiveness it's because they feel that their goals are just, even if the things they do aren't.
>>
>>44324840
The vigil DOES create slashers, but slashers are not- Do you know what slashers are, anon? Every serial killer since the fucking dawn of time has typically done it for a reason, even if it was a bad reason. The vigil creates them because it takes a toll on even sane individuals over time, and given the POWER OF THEIR CAUSE(the vigil) it makes them perfect candidates. Someone who remorselessly has to murder swathes of "supernatural" humans to "protect" others quickly degenerates into madness, their killings getting less and less about protecting and more about destroying.
>>
>>44324916
>The vigil DOES create slashers, but slashers are not- Do you know what slashers are, anon?
No, I just typed out the original write up on slashers, but obviously I'm still unfamiliar with the concept.
>>
>>44324977
You sure seem it if you think that the concept of "The vigil creates slashers" is new and inventive. It's a core concept that those on the vigil are at greater risk to become slashers due to the pressure the vigil exerts on those in it and the fact that they're fighting for a cause. The two thing slashers need to exist are A. a cause they feel is worth murdering over and B. a degraded mental state.
>>
>>44321506

A yard and a meter is almost the same thing.
>>
>>44325029
That's...

Literally what I said in the first place? Did you reply to the wrong person?
>>
Why does everyone like the Abbey in the fist place? They are /b/ incarnate.
>>
>>44325275
Because hunting monsters for the thrill of it is a relatively fresh and original idea in Hunter media? I'd take Ashwood Abbey over another one GOD WILLS IT or MONSTERS KILLED MY FAMILY, NOW THEY MUST PAY organization.
>>
>>44325383
>Because hunting monsters for the thrill of it is a relatively fresh and original idea in Hunter media?
Not really. I can't even count the number of episodes of shows like Buffy or Supernatural where they meet someone and it turns out they hunt monsters because they're a sociopath and can get away with murdering non-humans for fun.

The Ashwood Abbey is also just the Hellfire Club from X-Men as Hunters.
>>
>>44325439
I think we're all pretty bloody sick of the allusion being drawn between supernatural and CofD. That said, it's a bit of variety considering most hunter groups tend to fall into the "Fuck monsters, what a buncha dicks they fucked up my thing" category.
>>
>>44325510
Would the Power rangers be a compact or a conspiracy?
>>
>>44325510
Supernatural--and Buffy--are literally mentioned by the books themselves as sources of inspiration.

Also, not really? More often than not the example Hunters end up in the Vigil by accident. Hell, for either Cheiron or VALKYRIE one sample character ends up in the Conspiracy because their paperwork got filed wrong.

It isn't just "Dey took er jerbs", it's just being in the right place at the wrong time and deciding to do something about it. Or having that decided for you.
>>
>>44325510

Even if you don't like the Supernatural comparison, there are still plenty of other media that have dickass hunters who hunt for the thrill. There is no way that the Abbey is a novel idea, no matter how relatively you want to put it.
>>
>>44325653
So it's kind of like Exalted, except instead of demigod powers and the divine right to rule the earth as you see fit, you get a squid-monster trying to rape your face and the inability to ever have a restful nights sleep ever again?
>>
>>44325673
I don't think it's a novel idea per say, I just think it is 'different' than the rest of the compacts/conspiracies, and for that it has merit.
>>
>>44325727
But almost all of the Compacts and Conspiracies are different. Hunter intentionally has a diverse group of... groups. Someone dismissed my Magical Girl Conspiracy as being cliche and I did a rundown of all the existing Orgs. They're almost all SOME kind of stereotype or cliche that's then focused towards hunting monsters.

And I think that's actually pretty awesome. That's how you get groups like Network Zero.
>>
>>44325727

Don't backtrack now.
>Because hunting monsters for the thrill of it is a relatively fresh and original idea in Hunter media?
Either you meant in Hunter media as in media involving the hunters or specifically in Hunter the Vigil. You're wrong on both accounts because 1. its not new for hunters to be doing it for fun in media in general 2. it can't be relatively fresh or original to Vigil because it was in the core book 9 years ago.
>>
>>44325793
>Magical Girl Conspiracy
Rory, is that you?
>>
>>44325812
I wasn't the one who said that mate.
>>
File: Bishoujo Senshi Yousei Kishi.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Bishoujo Senshi Yousei Kishi.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44325817
Yes. I've posted this more than a few times. Most people hate it by now.

But every time it comes up there's always someone confused about it.
>>
>>44325870
You post all of your PDFs all the time, which I suspect is why people are sick of them and people call you PDF-anon/faggot-kun and et cetera. Speaking of, the brit who won't stop waxing poetic about you who's in my hunter game keeps insisting we invite you even though you don't do voice
>>
>>44325870
maybe because it's aggressively bad?
>>
>>44325842

Maybe you shouldn't reply to posts not addressed towards you then?
>>
>>44312835
>The game would be vastly improved by a book dedicated to playing as cultists.
This. The game itself seems set up to have one mummy and a bunch of cultists - Mummies seem very much like solo operatives, and I have no idea how a group of Mummies is supposed to get together and not have this be a massive change in the balance of power (like how Imperial Mysteries having an entire Cabal hit Archmastery is enough to have them form an entire new Entente unto themselves.
>>
>>44325972
Try to stop me, little bitch. *unzips katana*
>>
File: Kaisyd.jpg (598 KB, 1938x2508) Image search: [Google]
Kaisyd.jpg
598 KB, 1938x2508
>>44325928
>Speaking of, the brit who won't stop waxing poetic about you who's in my hunter game keeps insisting we invite you even though you don't do voice
Dat's weird.

>>44325939
I'm fond of it. I'm actually making a VtR2e version of the Kaisyd.
The V20 version, not the original version.
>>
>>44321458
>My inability to visualize a yard has caused me pain in the past.
A yard is almost literally a meter, though.

Converting, say, miles to kilometres is more difficult than converting from yards.
>>
>>44326022
He's a weird guy. But given that he was in one of your games, I guess that's not so surprising?
>>
>>44321567
>>44321577
There was a while where everyone on every board was spamming s.m.h., and t.b.h. f.a.m (without the dots, obviously) in every fucking post.

So the new admin had those autocorrect to baka, desu, and senpai to make those people look silly.

wordfiltering obnoxiously overused words has been a thing on 4chan since basically forever. Back in the day "nigger" used to autocorrect to "roody-poo" over on /b/, and "wapanese" autocorrecting to "weeaboo" is how weeaboo became a term (prior to that it was an entirely meaningless word originating from Perry Bible Fellowship).
>>
>>44326045
Oh? Who is he?

Oh, wait, is this the person from F-list who played in my Hunter game? I'm honestly surprised I made such an impact. The game was only a session or four and he was always in a time zone that meant he left early or fell asleep.

>>44326086
I wouldn't say it's been a thing since basically forever. Usually the wordfilters stick to the dumber boards, like /b/. I've been here for far too long and never knew about roody-poo. Also, you forgot cuck, which started on /pol/. at least I'm pretty sure that wordfilters currently.
>>
>>44324250
Cheiron Hunters are absolutely on a vigil. It's just also literally their day job. They take down horrible gribblies that threaten people, and send them back to headquarters to be researched on or dissected and turned into something that benefits humanity.

Or at least, that's the story they're told.
>>
>>44326157
Yep, that guy. I think partially, it's because one of our other group-members frequents this general and knows you mostly as "The guy who played lace" and yea I have that same problem with him, we've started running pretty early as a result.
>>
>>44326157
Roody-poo is from like, 2006.
>>
>>44326197
Cheiron doesn't really care if the monsters threaten people. They also go after monsters that aren't a threat, if there's a profit to be made. They don't really hold a Vigil.

>>44326272
Oh, that's when I was on 7chan for a while.

>>44326238
That's always a problem with online games. I'm having trouble getting players together myself. I *think* I've got at least four people who can make the time slot, but having them around where I can talk to them about the game before hand is like herding cats. It doesn't help that this is the holiday season.
>>
>>44325870
I like it.
>>
>>44326334
>Cheiron doesn't really care if the monsters threaten people. They also go after monsters that aren't a threat, if there's a profit to be made.
Cheiron as a whole doesn't. Their "field agents", though?
>>
>>44326334
>monsters that aren't a threat

Oxymoron
>>
>Want to play a game
>None of my friends understand the system well enough to run one
>I'm too much of a dingdong to write something myself
I wanted to do a sci-fi rulehack with Mirrors, where humanity has only colonized the solar system.
>>
>>44326427
Go read the Cheiron write up. What part of it feels to you like they care?

The sample hunters are:
-- A person who doesn't realize they were hired by Cheiron
-- A salesman offered a job at FPD
-- A former marine hired as a "cleaner" because of his ability to shoot people and pop out eyeballs
-- A real cleaner, who went from janitorial to FPD by clerical error (that almost sounds like some God-Machine shenanigans)
-- Jason Bateman. Literally a slasher hired by Cheiron to get specimens.

People who take up an actual Vigil don't join Cheiron.

>>44326584
Running a game is your only option, trust me.
>>
>>44324840

>Cheiron and the Abbey, though? They're not morally grey. They don't really have any higher motivation. They don't have any lie they can tell themselves to justify their actions other than "It's fun" or "I get a paycheck".

And that's fine. Cheiron and the Abbey are reminders that the Vigil is, at best, a shared ideal rather than anything real. They're the reminder that when you join the Hunt, you stand with them just as much as you stand with Network Zero and The Union. When you want to present a grey scenario, you need pure "black" and pure "white" (not a lot of those, mind you, just a a little) to put the factions in the middle into perspective. It's a balancing act to be sure, but it's worthwhile to present the wider scope that Hunter has. Not all bad people in the WoD should be shunted off into the Antagonist bin.

It's not that I think you're in the hard "black vs white" mindset like some Hunter fans, it's that I see bits of the same philosophy that leads to that kind of thinking with enough time and pressure. In the end, I'm fine with having the Abbey specifically becoming an Antagonist (though why keep the name? Does the Hunt Club really need a front? Is the Abbey now a Slasher training program where awful people go to BECOME Slashers via the Hunt? There's potential here!), I'd just rather not have that become a trend is all. Hunter's greatest strength is that it's so broad in its choice of protagonists, and I don't want that to change.
>>
>>44326779
Cheiron are pragmatists - they fully intend to rid the world of beasties, but the best way they can do it is by gathering them, studying them and then using that knowledge to develop counter-measures and better the world at the same time.
>>
>>44326624

There is no "actual Vigil". What the Vigil means is vastly different from faction to faction. The Night Watch sees it as a political end, the Loyalists of Thule see it as redemption, Task Force: Valkyrie sees it as national security, Network Zero sees it as truth.

Again, this is the kind of thinking I'm worried will take hold in 2e, that The Vigil is a clearly defined, universal ideal and those that don't meet that ideal get cut. It would ring false against the more human focused perspective of the CofD. T
>>
>>44326816
>they fully intend to rid the world of beasties
No they don't. Why do you even get that idea?

>>44326779
>And that's fine
No it isn't. Frankly, that's terrible for keeping to theme. Look at all that the 2e stuff has done before. It's tightened up all the themes. Hunter's subtitle is literally "A storytelling game of light and shadows." Cheiron and the Abbey are much more shadow than light, which is why they should be in the antagonist section. I'm not even saying they should be unplayable, just that they shouldn't be presented as the standard of people who uphold the Vigil.

>Hunter's greatest strength is that it's so broad in its choice of protagonists, and I don't want that to change.
You don't need groups of villains for that. It's not about "all bad people in WoD should be Antagonists", it's about how the groups that are outright hostile and monstrous should be Antagonists. There's a reason that Belial's Brood is an Antagonist faction but the Lancae et Sanctum isn't.

Groups that are almost entirely antagonistic should be Antagonists.

>>44326964
"The Vigil" is "this is the right thing to do".
Every group (in the core) has that approach other than Cheiron and the Abbey. And maybe Null Mysteriis who don't think it's "right" so much as just want to poke it with a stick.
>>
>>44321526
Hey Dave, how are magic tools being handled in 2e? Can I have more than one wand now?
>>
>>44326964
Try posting that stuff in the comments, then?
>>
>>44327117
http://theonyxpath.com/a-lever-and-a-firm-place-to-stand/
>>
>>44327203
Huh, I guess I missed the line saying they can have more than one when I first looked. Thanks.
>>
Can someone explain to me what Mastigos are supposed to be played like? I can't for the life of me understand what their "thing" is. I've read the dev posts and the related books, but I just can't seem to visualize what they're all about.
>>
>>44327928
Mastigos have two primary deals. Their first one is autonomy and self-determinism - this is something they hold absolutely sacred, and is part of the reason behind their whole self-mastery schtick.

Secondly, they believe in self-improvement by overcoming trials, tribulations, or opposition.

Both of these things combine to result in a group of people who believe in helping people help themselves. Solving a problem for someone is essentially a crime you're committing against that person. Mastigos are the Devil card in the sense of old testament Satan - they set themselves up as adversaries in order for you to overcome them.

They're kind of like the Closed Fist school from Jade Empire, before the execution was completely botched.
>>
>>44328132
>autonomy and self-determinism - this is something they hold absolutely sacred
This, ironically enough, means that the people who get the mind control powers are the least likely to actually do mind control. Robbing someone of the ability to make their own choices is completely anathema to Path Mastigos.

I played a Mastigos who had to take over someone's mind for all of three turns because he couldn't see any other option that wouldn't immediately result in the deaths of multiple Sleepers, and he still suffered a Wisdom break for it.
>>
Aspel, shut the fuck up in the Hunter comments. It's not all about you and your fucking opinions, you don't need to respond to everyone's posts.
>>
>>44328212
>This, ironically enough, means that the people who get the mind control powers are the least likely to actually do mind control.

This is not unique to Mastigos though. All Paths tend to treat their own Ruling Arcana with more Wisdom than other mages using those Arcana.
Moros are less likely to Unmake their ability to die and care less for material wealth, Obrimos wield God's Flame with reverence, Acanthus understand how easily bending Fate too far will come back to fuck you in the ass, Thyrsus understand the balance of flesh and spirit.
>>
File: Kiasyd.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Kiasyd.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Linking this before I try and get some sleep.

>>44328220
If you want your opinion heard, add it. That's what I'm doing, and there's nothing stopping you from doing the same.
>>
>>44328132
That was actually really helpful - I don't know why I can't figure them out at all in the descriptions, but here it seems so simple. Thank you for your help, anon.
>>
>>44328354
It's hard for other people to get a word in if you're going to plop your fucking soapbox into every conversation.
>>
>>44328369
No problem. I've been playing Mastigos for years and am tired of their reputation as edgelord dickheads, so I don't mind giving a rundown of what the Path's philosophy is actually about.
>>
>>44328354
Forgot to mention: I've never done oWoD at all, I just like the idea of the Kiasyd. I'm basing it off the Dark Ages V20 version, not the regular Masquerade version.
http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/wod/vtda20/ClanK.html#

I probably need a rewrite to make things more concise, and I'm trying to write in the style guide.

For their Bloodline benefits I'm going to go with basically Unseen Sense (Faeries, Fate) as well as the ability to seal Pledges, though the mechanics for that are going to be similar to the Mixed Blessings Dread Power from Mortal Remains.

>>44328414
I'm not plopping my soapbox into every conversation, and even if I am, it doesn't stop you from doing the same.
>>
>>44327163

I might, if I feel like that kind of thinking is taking hold of the project. The person I disagree with isn't in charge of it and Monica's reasonings for changing the Abbey are more out of "something's got to give with this Hunt Club/Abbey plot hook" than any of my worries. Besides, the chance of a new design space is something I'm always down for.
>>
>>44328277
I meant more in the sense of the original corebook painting everyone else's view of Mastigos as "those untrustworthy, manipulative assholes with the mind control powers".

Ironically, despite this apparent fear, Mastigos are the LEAST likely to end up like that.
>>
>>44328557
>The person I disagree with isn't in charge of it
I'm assuming you're talking about me, and I don't even think we really disagree so much as have different opinions of how to achieve the same thing.

Although if you do disagree with me, then you should add your voice to the comments, because Monica seems to want to listen to the fans.
>>
>>44326584
>I wanted to do a sci-fi rulehack with Mirrors, where humanity has only colonized the solar system.
How does space flight work out for Werewolves?
>>44325275
Same reason people liked, say, Lasombra or Baali. A faction needn't be nice to be likable, just evocative.
>>44324165
>The game isn't called Paladin: the Redemption and there absolutely should be dark grey-ish and morally corrupt organizations for Hunters to be part of.
To be fair, a high-Sanctity Paladin is /extremely/ unhealthy for its surroundings because whatever the Song is it doesn't give TWO. FUCKS. about regular people. You're just more unenlightened slaves to the False God in its eyes so your mutation/death/disappearance is really more collateral than something that one should worry about too much.
> Who's next to go, Cheiron?
Keep Cheiron, make them more like Pentex. In terms of power, that is, not in terms of moustache-twirlingly EVUL.
>>44321493
>Cortex system game
>Noumenon
>Mortal Remains
Very nice.
>>
>>44328729
>Keep Cheiron, make them more like Pentex. In terms of power, that is, not in terms of moustache-twirlingly EVUL.

Absolutely not!
Their apex-position in the world's economies is the most annoying part about Pentex.
>>
>>44328786
You don't like WtA anyway so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>44328633
Fair enough. I actually think it makes sense the other Paths think that, but the book never explicitly spelled out that this is a misguided stereotype.
>>
>>44328812
Firstly: I think you have me confused for someone else.
Secondly: No. I don't.
Thirdly: My opinion about Apocalypse means squat regarding where I think Cheiron should move.

A mid-level international pharmaceutical company is reasonable. A huge-ass multi-branch company that controls basically all major trade branches in the entire world, isn't.
>>
>>44328786
Honestly that they're evil for evil's sake is the dumbest part.

Most fans already treat Cheiron like Pentex, especially with many of the posters in this thread wanting them to be in Deviant. Hell, the books kind of treat them that way. They're fine as the Pentex of nWoD, especially since they aren't as dumb.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oIX2HMqd_U
Where did the guy writing Stand User: The Gravity get to?
>>
>>44328729
Shade what's your favorite C&C?
>>
>>44324128
She actually says in the post she hasn't decided yet.
>>
>>44328915
The heads of the company are mysteriously evil, admittedly. It's all a front for them harvesting supernaturals.
The difference between them and Pentex is that they have a specific scope, and a tight modus operandi, rather than just "corrupt the world in all ways possible."
>>
>>44324250
>"We're doing it for the lulz" isn't morally grey, it's black.
So everyone plays games in the pursuit of evil?
>>
>>44328954
That's a difficult one. I'm very fond of The Long Night, the Union and Null Mysteris. Faithful of Shupae get points for being a completely different angle than your average demon Hunter.

>>44328915
>Honestly that they're evil for evil's sake is the dumbest part.
Yep. Hell, what do they really want to /do/ once >>44329090 Gaia's dead?

>>44328891
>>44328786
Fairly certain they toned its supremacy waaayyy down later on. I just want them around Monsanto's or Beyer's size.
>>
>>44328915
>Most fans already treat Cheiron like Pente
They really don't.
>>44329090
>The heads of the company are mysteriously evil, admittedly. It's all a front for them harvesting supernaturals.
The heads of the company aren't evil, the book that reveals this points this out. They can be evil, but they can also be good.
Whether you're just lying or ignorant, cut it out.
>>
>>44322804
No wonder atamajakki likes her so much.
>>
>>44329106
We're talking about the group who's schtick is raping vampires and jerking off on Loci.

>>44329161
Does... he like gypsies or something?
>>
>>44329206
>We're talking about the group who's schtick is raping vampires and jerking off on Loci.
It's shtick.
And how many orcs have died in the name of entertainment?
You say jerking off on Loci like that's a bad thing.
>>
>>44329206
>Does... he like gypsies or something?
Sort of. He believes you shouldn't confuse Roma for gypsies, as Roma are the ethnic people, and gypsies are part of a Jewish conspiracy to steal from people to malign the Roma for some reason. He's written a bunch of anti-jew stuff on reddit.
>>
>>44329256
>And how many orcs have died in the name of entertainment?
There's an obvious argument to this (orcs aren't real, wod characters are), but it's not that simple.

Vampires and mummies are walking corpses.

So are sin-eaters who are actually harboring ghosts.

So are Prometheans, who are also occasionally walking bundles of sticks or mud.

Changelings are walking stories.

Demons are walking glitches in reality.

The only "real" people are mages and werewolves, and no one can remember mages did anything in the first place so never hunt them, and werewolves turn into giant fucking monsters so you better kill them.
>>
>>44329278
wut

>>44329256
>It's shtick.
It's either, actually https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtick
Also, the rest of your post is too dumb for me to care about.

>>44329399
The real argument is that the AA tend to have a That Guy mentality.
>>
>>44329478
>The real argument is that the AA tend to have a That Guy mentality.
what 'Ahm gonna kill it/loot it/have sex with it/all of the above.', is that right?
>>
>>44329399
Haha, he thinks witches are "real" and not aliens replacing the people they abduct! Point at him and laugh! "Mystical satori" my ass.
>>
>>44329478
>The real argument is that the AA tend to have a That Guy mentality.
Hunter has a That Guy mentality. They're the sole bringers of extreme firepower into the game.
>>
>>44329478
>Also, the rest of your post is too dumb for me to care about.
a loci isn't going to be ruined or affected at all if someone jacks off on it unless it's a locus of chasteness
thats like pissing into the ocean
>>
>>44329613
Are you the person from before with the Kiasyd concept?

Also, Loci need to be tended to and cared for, and they're sacred places that can be disrespected. And jerking off on things is dumb to begin with.

>>44329601
Hunters aren't all That Guys.
>>
So what's the difference between a Locus and a Mage's Hallow?
>>
>>44329674
One is a place or thing where the Gauntlet is extremely thin. The other is a location where Supernal Truth concentrates.
>>
>>44329697
What if a Hallow is also a Locus?
>>
>>44329278
Romanians and Roma are two different things.
>>
>>44329749
Then the Hallow is also a Locus.
>>
>>44329666
>Are you the person from before with the Kiasyd concept?
No
>Also, Loci need to be tended to and cared for,
No they don't
>and they're sacred places that can be disrespected.
They can, but unless you actually destroy them or use magic to change them the disrespect doesn't mean shit

>And jerking off on things is dumb to begin with.
So says the bible and you and no one else

>Hunters aren't all That Guys.
Not that guy but either is AA

>>44329697
>One is a place or thing where the Gauntlet is extremely thin.
Jesus no, why do you have to be so fucking stupid and insist on SPREADING it!?

>>44329674
A locus is a thing that has a significant amount of charged memories in the spirit world, acting as a battery and fountain of essence (that can be accessed from physical world)

a hallow is like a convergence of magical leylines where mana is created "naturally"
>>
>>44329674
LOCI
Some material objects, and even people, have such a
strong connection to the Shadow that they focus spiritual
energies, forming a locus of a particular kind of Essence.
Loci are individual objects or creatures; loci affect increasing
areas around the focal point in both the material and Shadow
worlds as they grow in power.

Hallows
Prime (pun intended) magical real estate, Hallows are places where Free Mana gathers. They’re bought mechanically as a Merit (separate to Safe Place,) and in-setting mages covet them as resources, especially if they are large, intersect with a Ley Node, or produce edible Tass. Many Consilia have strict laws against theft or vandalism of Hallows, but that doesn’t stop inter-sect rivalries; Seers and Pentacle mages sometimes murder one another for a potent wellspring of Mana.
>>
>>44329794
>a hallow is like a convergence of magical leylines where mana is created "naturally"

Now it is you who is spreading misunderstanding. Seems like we both have our blind spots.

Hallows often appear where leylines converge, but are not directly related to them.
>>
>>44329794
>No they don't
There are literally rituals for exactly that in 2e.

>So says the bible and you and no one else
Pretty sure anyone and everyone doesn't like when you jerk off on their stuff.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.