[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Halo Mythic Preview 22.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10
File: mythic 22.png (47 KB, 634x812) Image search: [Google]
mythic 22.png
47 KB, 634x812
We're not dead, we're just waiting to respawn.

>PREVIEW 22 and NEW CHARACTER SHEET
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0xku8yk6iv60sd7/Halo+Mythic+Preview+22+Bookmark+CharSheet.zip

Lots of customization options for Spartans now. Sangheili also got some of their non-standard armor options for customization too.

Next update should have some new things from the recent Shadow of Intent book.
>>
First for ODSTs being the best
>>
>>44308057
Well, technically the ODST's were the first ones in this book to get customization armor choices...
>>
>>44308057
It's a strange feeling when many top ODSTs are now Spartan IVs.
>>
File: Office of Naval Intelligence.png (45 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
Office of Naval Intelligence.png
45 KB, 250x249
First for the Office of Naval Intelligence
>>
Have you no honor?
>>
>>44308618
Oh look, ONI dropped the ball again
>>
Am I alone in feeling that most of the settings worth running a quest in seem to be in the Bungie-established timeline? I mean, there are exceptions: being ambassadors between humanity and covenant species or a joint - force strike team would be cool, and Spartan-IVs are best for explaining why the entire party is Spartans- but it's always the pre-war and wartime settings that really get my imagination running.
>>
>>44309006
I had an idea about a planet with humans and covenant races both occupying it to try to strengthen their relations. Would allow for some near mixed-party freeroam dnd type adventures.
>>
>>44309006
The first game I played was set post-war, dealing with Covenant Remnants and Insurrectionists which was fun as hell. I do agree with you though, it's easier for me to come up with a post-war campaign if you ignore 343i's canon.
>>
>>44309146
>ignore 343i's canon
This is the main problem really. Lots of interesting concepts and potential, yet the official versions somehow manage to muck it all up.
I mean, really? Why would ONI think deliberately starting a war among the Sangheili would be a good idea? Never mind that the 'fear' of them rising back up makes little sense in light of the fact that THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN THEIR OWN SHIPS, how did they not realize that a conflict- even a supposedly contained Civil War- wouldn't end up with human colonies caught in the crossfire?
Fuck, the Civil War would probably have happened anyway- why was ONI involvement necessary?
>>
>>44309831
Because we love to kick 'em while they're down.

Also, why wouldn't you encourage their disunity? ideally nobody would know, and then you could swoop in and save whoever you want, if that's what you decide.
>>
>>44310207
>ideally nobody would know

It's pretty heavily implied that Thel found out.
>>
>>44310207
>why wouldn't you want to encourage disunity?
Because a pro-covenant faction engaged in warfare would be likely to launch strikes against Human colonies? Which is exactly what happened.
Humanity could not afford another war so soon after the first, yet if their meddling had become public knowledge among Sangheili, that's exactly what would have happened. We needed time to rebuild, time we were getting through Thel's leadership and insistence on not trying to wipe out humans. ONI risked everything on a scheme with little discernible benefit, it blew up in their face, everyone with half a brain could SEE that it was going to blow up in their face, and hundreds of thousands more humans died because the Spymasters couldn't resist the urge to meddle.
Key among this: THEL WAS IN POWER. The literal best-case-scenario was playing out, with the most pro-human Sangheili in the highest position of power among their people. Why, Why, WHY would anyone think that encouraging a rebellion against him would in any way benefit humanity? It WOULDN'T, and it DIDN'T, because there isn't any way it possibly could.
What was their game-plan if the rebels won, hmn? Do you honestly think the recovering remains of Humanity were ready for another war against the Covenant? Especially since they already knew the coordinates to every colony they'd originally glassed, and thus could jump in and undo the past few decade's worth of work in an instant.
>>
>>44308272
>Buck is back
You don't know how giddy it made me when I found out
>>
>>44312996
He's the only reason I was willing to give Osiris a chance. That and Vale being a total Weeaboo about Sangheili.
>>
>>44307894
Reading through the main document now, posting my thoughts as I go along.

>White text on a black background is an... interesting choice. Personally I found it incredibly hard to read without straining my eyes, even zoomed in. You might also find that people will be less willing to print out pages from the book as references if they have to use a metric ton of ink to do so.
>The Warhammer stats is a good choice. Fits the setting pretty well and is accessible to people who have played that system.
>The XP cost for a lot of things seems to be pretty high. Any chance you could lower those numbers across the board so that it's easier for new players to manage point-buy creation?
>The text for a lot of tables, especially the weapons, is too small. If you need to use up more space, do so. Better to be legible and an extra four pages than condensed and a pain in the ass that requires squinting.

I've skimmed it and so far I like it, but I don't think I would use it if I was playing a Halo game. It feels just a little too... what's the word? Overdesigned. There's some absolutely brilliant work here, I'm not saying otherwise, I'm just wondering how much of these rules are absolutely necessary and how much could be pared down, simplified, or presented in a more direct fashion.

Combat in particular seems to have a million different moving parts. I'd love to see it simplified a little, just enough to get newbies in the door easier. Maybe the combat system could have a simple resolution method you could start out with, and a more complex method of tracking actions and effects? Right now I feel lost and I'm not a novice to these kinds of games.
>>
>>44313596
Anyone still here?

I've looked it over again and I'm definitely certain that it should have a white background and black text. It's just pretty horrendous as it is now, and I care a lot about the formatting of RPG books.
>>
>>44315684
Thread will probably be up for 12-24 hours, check back later and somebody will be on who is able to answer your questions.
>>
HOLY SHIT
it me

I'll read through this here thread and see what we got.
>>
File: CamoSAW-DigiDesert.png (998 KB, 1881x704) Image search: [Google]
CamoSAW-DigiDesert.png
998 KB, 1881x704
>>44313596
Well, a big part of my system is that it takes a lot from the books. We use the more realistic stories and examples to power the system and how the rules work.

Simplification would be nice, and there are examples in the book that tell novices that they can ignore Special Damage, simplify rolls, etc.

I know it can seem a bit big, but the system is a simplification of what it once was, a GURPS-like D100 system. It didn't sit too well with many people, and we worked together to get it down to a more simplified, yet heavily tooled system.

The light gray font over the dark gray pages were inspired by the Cyberpunk RPG books, and it took nearly 6 hours to do. Now that the book is roughly 60 pages larger, it'd be even worse for me.

The stats were originally taken from a few games, but built on the Dark Heresy, alongside an old BRP Gears of War game. I felt this was the absolute best way to do characteristics.

Experience in this system isn't so lightly treated as it may be in others. Many things rely on it. You could go for a monstrous 800+ Experience SKill increase or Ability, or you can decide to spend it on Character Creation to gain special options or increased characteristics. A Slipspace Navigation/Pilot Skill is incredibly expensive, showing that you could make so many other purchases. I felt it showed just how difficult it is to learn larger experience cost purchases.
>>
File: Needer-New-Symbol3.png (1 MB, 1300x990) Image search: [Google]
Needer-New-Symbol3.png
1 MB, 1300x990
>>44317995
Another reason for the pricing of Experience is how it is given out from Missions, time played, and kills made. There is a formula used when figuring these, such as Spartans giving so much Experience, but put in a way that you'll never receive a decimal. Basically, we run on increments of 100s and 50s, pairing to the D100 system I use. I understand the larger numbers may seem a tad scary, but hopefully people should be able to count by 50s.

Text may be an issue to those who may want to print off papers, but the book was never initially designed for that in mind. Maybe, at some point, I could increase it from 9pt, but now, it will be an issue that stays. Sorry about that, it's just that reformating hundreds of tables and text would kill me. I already do 99% of this book by myself, so I try to stick to working on the content.

I do understand your criticisms, and I'll see about dumbing down some of the optional rules that may need it. I also understand that the book does need some work, visually. It's just the amount of time to do those chances would probably have me dead on the floor.

Just remember, though, most of these rules are optional, and it is always up to the GM as to whether they use them, or not (I don't even use some of the rules I've made). I think I even have it in a couple places that some rules can be bypassed, and it is always up to the GM as to whether they are used, or not.
>>
File: Swords-Plasma-Pistol-light.png (117 KB, 542x305) Image search: [Google]
Swords-Plasma-Pistol-light.png
117 KB, 542x305
And also a plasma pistol or some shit
>>
so I've been wanting to try and run a halo themed game for awhile but I have never really read any of the books. I've played and beaten all the games but that only really tells the story through a single viewpoint (not counting ODST or Reach). And since I figure this will be as good as place as any to ask what books would you elegan/tg/entleman recommend I check out to make a more accurate game lore wise? Also feel free to point out any halo books that are just plain good as well.
>>
>>44318678
All of them up to the Cole Protocol are really good. Ghosts of Onyx and Contact Harvest are my favorite, personally.

For the most lore information and feeling on the setting, read Fall of Reach.
>>
File: Garpistol.png (711 KB, 1070x860) Image search: [Google]
Garpistol.png
711 KB, 1070x860
>>44318678
Really, almost any book, if not all of them. Each one offers a new style to play and a new perspective on how the Halo universe works and runs.

If I had to give you an idea, I'd say Ghosts of Onyx and Fall of Reach. Those books give some amazing insight on Spartans.

Another good series to check out are the Thursday War series and all of the new books.

Want to see how Sangheili and Humans work together? Hunters in the Dark. Want to see how Covenant and post-Covenant works? Last Light and Broken Circle.

You'll always have something to draw inspiration from. Evolutions has Dirt, which is great for seeing some ODST stuff.
>>
>>44318703
>>44318740
thanks
>>
>>44318794
No problem, always glad to help.

Also, it seems it was never mentioned, but we have a new Character sheet, as well as an editable, savable PDF version!
>>
File: DesignTestMA5-2.png (725 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DesignTestMA5-2.png
725 KB, 1920x1080
If anyone ever has any storytimes to share or questions they'd like to ask, or anything in between, feel free to use our subreddit!

We decided on a sub because it allows for simple communication and sharing of content, alongside using something that many people already have accounts for. It's been fairly successful thus far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloMythic/

We've also hit over 160k downloads, as of now. That's a nice milestone. I hope we can hit 200k by Release 3, if that will ever fucking happen.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.