[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if the Shadow over Innistrad is Marit Lage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 19
File: 1119_maritlagetoken.jpg (67 KB, 400x559) Image search: [Google]
1119_maritlagetoken.jpg
67 KB, 400x559
What if the Shadow over Innistrad is Marit Lage?
>>
File: tg finds out about.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
tg finds out about.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
>>
File: ice age marit lage.png (711 KB, 624x445) Image search: [Google]
ice age marit lage.png
711 KB, 624x445
Also, I feel kind of oblivious for not knowing this. I had assumed that Marit Lage was introduced in Coldsnap as a one-off throwaway neat card, but apparently she goes all the way back to fucking Ice Age. The Lovecraft reference is right there in the flavor text (referencing the famous line "in his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming") and as far as I know it's the earliest Lovecraft reference in MTG.
>>
I hadn't even thought of that. That would be damn cool. But I still hope it's Baron Sengir.
>>
>>44299925
>Posting le epic tv show pictures for the 100th time.

Learn some posting diversity you autistic faggot
>>
>>44300006
I forget how real the hate was back in the day.
>>
>>44300374
Even though I only started playing in 2009 I wish that hate was still a thing, as least I get to sideboard in Choke and Boil in Modern still
>>
>>44300353
dump your reaction folder pls
>>
File: 1450452929938.jpg (566 KB, 1023x928) Image search: [Google]
1450452929938.jpg
566 KB, 1023x928
>>44300353
>posting disgusting white cis scum
Right in my triggers
>>
>>44300409
>Choke is modern legal?
>Oh they reprinted that shit in 8th
>It's an $8 uncommon

I'll have to remember that next time I pour through my bulk collection.

Did EDH inflate it or is it just the ability to fuck over Modern blue for 2G?
>>
>>44300494
Most likely the latter, since Choke is fairly limited in EDH.
>>
>>44300494
It helps versus Splinter Twin in modern, plus any deck that plays blue as a bonus
>>
File: reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>>44300465
>Hermaproditos, the double-sexed SON of Eros and Psyche
>>
while that would be cool, its Emrakul.

its too obvious with they way they released the Titans as cards thus far.
>>
>>44300353
Someone doesnt like Archer...
>>
File: .jpg (45 KB, 960x758) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
45 KB, 960x758
I don't like Eldrazi on Innistrad. I dont know why it just sort of seems like both multiverses have their own distinct features that make them interesting and cool. It sort of feels like its just cramming 2 thing that shouldn't be together, together.
>>
>>44299878
Isn't Marit Lage frozen in a different plane?
>>
>>44301178
>I hate the idea of a dark gothic colonial horror setting mixed with eldritch horror! I mean, it would be like some sort of SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH or something
>>
>>44301225
Officially, yeah.
But consider Dark Depths. If you remove enough ice counters, Marit Lage becomes released from her icy prison, returning once more. Could be that Wizards hinted during Coldsnap that the sorceress has escaped.
>>
>>44301582
>>44301225
This is just conjecture though. Personally, I'd like a return of Marit Lage a lot more than Emrakul.
>>
>>44301178
motherfucker Eldrazi are a multiversal threat, how about we finally be shown this to be true instead of them forever being corralled on Zendikar.
>>
>>44301582
even if she was released, she's no longer an Old Walker and all her super powers are gone.

now's she's just a giant squid beast.
>>
>>44301178
Go play Bloodborne.
>>
>>44300006
Is that the same tree that holds Hexxus in Fern Gully?
>>
>>44301178
so.. H.P Lovecraft was just retarded then?
>>
>>44301653
Source?
>>
>>44301653
>>44301793

As far as can be determined, she never was a planeswalker. She can (or could, depending on how the mending affected her) move between planes and isn't native to Dominaria.

Source
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/askwizards/0806
>>
>>44301178
>Set is literally named after shadow over innsmouth
>Don't want cosmic horror
Would you prefer racist fish people?
>>
File: hexxus-tree.png (1 MB, 976x766) Image search: [Google]
hexxus-tree.png
1 MB, 976x766
>>44300006
>>44301701
That was my first thought too. It's pretty close hey?
>>
>>44300969
Emrakul is Marit Lage?
>>
>>44302187
are you brain damaged, anon?
>>
>>44301567
If the WOTC articles about the "flavour" of ROE or BFZ have shown me anything, its that no magic related employee has ever been in the same fucking room as a Lovecraft story.
>>
>>44299878
No anon, because that would be Confusing For New Players.
>>
>>44303008
Mtg is inspired only by what stories the people responsible are aware of. According to maro eldrazi are mainly inspired by some marvel villain.
>>
>>44301822
>As far as can be determined, she never was a planeswalker
>She can [...] move between planes
Isn't that the literal definition of a planeswalker?
>>
>>44301225
Yes, she currently trapped in Dominaria.
However she can planes-walk and having her icy prison melt is not unlikely.

Actually having her instead of Emrakul would be extremely cool. I like the Eldrazi but not all the times
>>
>>44301822
Yes, I know. But anon claims that she lost her powers and ability to travel between planes, which I contest.
>>
>>44301822
After reading this, I definitely want to see her carded as WBG Planeswalker card Nicol Bolas style.
>>
>>44303125
No, you also need the spark.

Every planeswalker can walk between planes, but not every creature which has the ability is automatically a planeswalker.

Phyrexia and the Eldrazi are good examples for things that can invade other planes, but are not necessarily planeswalker.
>>
I heard the possibility it was Phyrexian ships. Personally I'm hoping that it that is the case. I'm also hoping that these Phyrexians are revealed (preferably after they are introduced) having origins outside the influence of New Phyrexia (formerly Mirrodin).

Ï• Believers will serve. Unbelievers will be made to serve. All will bow to Phyrexia. Ï•
>>
>>44303106
only thing I could possibly think of that would come close to fitting the bill is Shuma Gorath and the cancer-verse
>>
>>44303708
Phyrexian's can no longer jump planes after the mending.
>>
>>44304470
they just need to reverse engineer the soul nets
>>
>>44304470
I thought Phyrexians couldn't planeswalk. They used the portal in the caves of Koilos to go between Dominaria and Phyrexia, used the rathi over lay to invade, and the oil in Karn was what took over Mirrodin.
>>
>>44304516
what are soul nets?
>>
>>44302187
>>44302789
>it's Emrakul
>and then Marit Lage shows up to put the hurt down
>>
as long as this undoes the massive damage AVR did to the settings flavor I'm down with it.
But if BFZ has taught us anything is that their new way of doing things just means they're trying new things, but they're overpriced and stupid.

Read the Bones as a rare. Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>44304791
Anon, Read the Bones can only get you up to two cards!
Painful Truths also doesn't have scry on it. Despite being made an everygreen mechanic, we feel it might be too complex to introduce to new players this soon after the big change of removing core sets.
>>
>>44304565
Exactly ... unable to planeswalk but able to reach other planes.

>>44304791
Well, I am more in favor of over-costing then under-costing, but lately they have a really poor record of hitting the mark.
>>
>Gatewatch Avengers get called to Innistrad because they believe Emrakul is wreaking havoc
>find Sorin to help them
>it's actually Marit Lage who was awoken from her slumber after the Apocalypse
>their hedron shit is useless
>Meanwhile on Bolas's Meditation Realm...
>>
>>44303106
>According to maro eldrazi are mainly inspired by some marvel villain

What.
Is he..
Holy fucking shit.
>>
>>44303106
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/90810513793/what-comic-book-characters-are-the-eldrazi-titans

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/24407214271/were-the-eldrazi-inspired-by-lovecraftian

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/41367953223/in-a-daily-mtg-article-i-believe-the-eldrazi
>>
>>44305417
>Meanwhile on Bolas's Meditation Realm
>"Oh shit, I'm in this? Fuck FUCK..."
>>
>>44305600
>http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/41367953223/in-a-daily-mtg-article-i-believe-the-eldrazi
Holy shit, he really is a fool.
I thought the Gatewatch Oath was just a nice band of planeswalker, but if it panders to capeshit fanboys, it's gonna be pretty cancerous.

>And Clthulu drive you insane if you see them
The guy is the face of the fucking game and can't even use motherfucking wikipedia to know what he's talking about.
>>
>>44305675
That's why it's a different department's job to flavor the game, anon.

Go here if you want someone with MtG creative competence: http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/
>>
>>44304913
But anon, we gave you a reasonably costed scry 2 for WUBRG
>>
>>44301178
I agree with you. Not only is eldritch horror dumb as a genre but I'm sick of the fucking eldrazi already
>>
>>44304066
Phyrexians don't contort stone symbols of local faiths by their mere presence, though.
Do you know what does?
Either the Titan of Corruption (who is known to fuck gravity a new one), or on a very long shot Dread Marit Lage.
It's Emrakul, but there's that tiny tiny tiny chance they might actually pull a surprise out with Marit Lage. That would be cool.
>>
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-concerning-recent-suspensions-2015-12-21

leakers btfo?
>>
>>44304719
>innastrad gets caught in a giant monster battle between Emrakul and Marit lage
its sad to think wizards would never do this
>>
Wasn't Lage just an old old and giant sea monster? How would it plainswalk to Innistraid? Why? And how would it still be alive?
>>
Reposting this

https://archiveofourown.org/works/5438699
>>
File: Elesh Norn 3.jpg (482 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Elesh Norn 3.jpg
482 KB, 1600x1200
>>44306300

Why are people fixating so much on the Avacyn's Collar getting warped as a literal thing? I just assumed it was a metaphor for some form of threat coming to Innistrad.

I hadn't thought about it until >>44304066 mentioned it, but I actually think the Phyrexians would fit in this. Not a full blown invasion, but more of a 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' type deal, where some Phyrexians manage to infiltrate Innistrad society and corrupt the church of Avacyn? Queue Thalia investigating the strange movements of high priests wearing oddly bulky robes, sightings of strange skeletal angels and whispers from the faithful of a 'woman in white' who claims to be the real Avacyn...
>>
>>44303398
>However she can planes-walk and having her icy prison melt is not unlikely.
Technically Coldsnap took place during the Ice Age of Dominaria, which was thousands of years ago and ended by Freyalise. Maybe the ice melted on its own and Lage walked somewhere else in the meantime?

>>44304470
I don't know if it's been stated that the Mending affected portal technology. The Phyrexians were nearly defeated at the end of the Invasion and weren't much of a threat during the events of Time Spiral. IIRC Venser was also working on a portal right up until his death.

>>44304565
I'm pretty sure they also had interplanar portals which helped them spread throughout the entire Multiverse, but the portals weren't stable enough to send armies through. That's why they preferred sleeper agents and why Elspeth's homeworld was overtaken by them even after all this time.

>>44304582
Soul Nets were the things Memnarch used to drag creatures from other worlds to inhabit Mirrodin. Again, unknown what their state is after Memnarch was destroyed and the Mending happened. Karn might have destroyed them.
>>
>>44299878
So, we can definitely agree Marit Lage is more powerful than any individual Eldrazi (look at her Avatar, it's just a small representation of her power, and it's stronger than Emrakul), but how do you think she compares to the Eldrazi as a whole? I don't see her as being as big of a threat (she's a single entity, not a whole army that can be in multiple places at once), but I'd imagine her turning her sights on you would be even worse than the Eldrazi on your doorstep.
>>
>>44309141
It's been so long since she last appeared and was never clearly defined in the first place, I wouldn't be surprised or even disappointed if they just retconned her into an Eldrazi titan
>>
>>44309376

I'm pretty certain they came out and specifically stated she wasn't a Titan, because that was a prevalent fan theory when Rise got released. They've made it a fixed attribute of the Eldrazi that there's only three Titans. Besides all the other Titans create broods that are basically extensions of themselves, Marit Lage doesn't do this. Also Marit Lage has been shown to be a massive threat, but not in the 'I'm going to eat your whole plane' way.
>>
>>44300494
8th Edition is a lot of fun - Tron, Blood Moon, Choke, Boil, Grave Pact, Defense Grid. Hell it reprinted Wrath of Merit Lage.
>>
>>44305675
>The guy is the face of the fucking game and can't even use motherfucking wikipedia to know what he's talking about.
Looking on the great old ones very often causes madness, so he's not off the mark except for using "Cthulhu" as a shorthand for "Cthulhu mythos creatures". (Looking on the outer gods certainly causes madness. Some great old ones are okay. Like Cthugha. That just causes blindness.)
>>
I for one hope it's Ob Nixilis and Withengar forging an alliance of uberdemons.
>>
I still want it to be Baron Sengir.
>>
>implying it's not just every single fucking thing
>Emrakul and Marit Lage duking it out
>Baron Sengir trying to usurp Sorin
>Ob Nixilis versus Avacyn
>Bolas being a goddamn dragon
>Yawgmoth out of nowhere
>>
>>44308592
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AO-AiwB5Qs
>>
>>44309141
"Power" is sometimes hard to quantify in Magic. In a straight-up fight between Marit Lage and Emrakul, Emrakul gets shuffled into his owner's library, whatever that represents in-universe. On the other hand Marit Lage dies to Unsummon, while Emrakul needs Wrath of God to get rid of. And both are rendered completely ineffectual by an Icy Manipulator. It kind of all... just doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>44306300
I thought it was an Innistrad angel's feather.

I think I read (probably from a second hand source of unknown reliability) that Sorin made Avacyn out of blood. Which may have to do with the feather turning blood red in the trailer.
>>
>>44312844
>Ob tries to take over Innistrad
>Yawgmoth resurrects, somehow, a literal shadow over Innistrad
>Phyrexians show up, lead by Elesh Norn
>Yawgmoth and Norn face off, White "perfection" Phyrexians vs Black "zombie" Phyrexians
>literally everything in Innistrad getting consumed/compleated in the crossfire
>Emrakul shows up and eats the entire plane
>Bolas takes credit for getting rid of the multiverse's biggst threats all in one stroke
>"M-maybe now Ugin will finally like me~!"
>>
>>44313088
Yawgmoth is NOT coming back.

Ugin said Bolas releasing the Eldrazi was likely a distraction so planeswalkers that would oppose Bolas are busy dealing with the Eldrazi.
>>
>>44313231
Oh I agree, Yawgmoth is deader than dead. Five-color White-lead Phyrexians are more interesting than Black-aligned Phyrexians anyway. Phyrexia is dead and gone. Glory to New Phyrexia and blessed perfection.

Also, fuck Bolas. He's a badly written generic villain with the power of "is very powerful" and the masterful plan of "has a plan." I literally came up with villains like this when I was 10 years old.
>>
>>44313439
>came up with villains like this when I was 10 years old.

Second this, fuck bolas. OP when the story demands it: What the fuck was up with him getting defeated and suddenly it was just a doppelganger? That's is literally retarded, MTG lore is cancer.
>>
>>44309061

it was stated, the only people capable of Walking are Walkers and Eldrazi, and the Eldrazi don't so much as walk as "dip their heads" into planes.

Venser's Portal was a very noted exception, but it was never finished.
>>
>>44312960
here's the thing, that 20/20 IS Marit, and that her in her entirety.

Emrakul? that is just her head poking into a plane, the real Emrakul is so vast that she can't fit on a plane and is still in the Blind Eternities.

Titans are far, far bigger than we see in the card game, that is just their extensions of themselves.
>>
>>44314404
"Although she was not a planeswalker, Marit Lage was able to travel to and from planes and possessed other characteristics of planeswalkers" sounds a lot like the eldrazi to me.

maybe merit lage IS an old eldrazi that was stuck in the glacial equivalent to a hedron.
>>
>>44314404
>here's the thing, that 20/20 IS Marit, and that her in her entirety.
Explain why it's an Avatar token.
>>
>>44314524
she thinks and acts on her thoughts, she is not an Eldrazi for that alone.

Eldrazi only have imperatives, they do not think, nor can they be help in Ice since t hey are beings of pure energy without physical form.

remember, being trapped and having flesh bodies is something that was imposed on them.
>>
>>44314404
Emrakul and the titans were forced into physical form by Sorin's sangromancy and then got locked up for millennia. They're in a severely weakened stat at the moment, but what we see of their physical form is their total self. It's just that their physical form also includes the rest of the brood. There is no "main body" or anything like that in the Blind Eternities.

Dark Depths creates a legendary creature named Marit Lage, meaning that the token itself *is* Marit Lage... but Marit Lage herself is an Avatar, making her a symbol or a fragment of some greater power. For comparison, Child of Alara is an avatar of the conflux itself. Marit Lage is basically referencing the fact that Cthulhu is considered the weakest of the elder gods.

>>44314346
I don't have a citation apart from the MTG wiki but Marit Lage is expressly stated to be capable of traveling the planes, but no a planeswalker. We unfortunately have very little info about her.
>>
>>44314639
like the anon said above, its an avatar token.

that 20/20 is a servant/avatar of merit lage, not the actual being.
>>
>>44314688
except Ugin himself tells Jace exactly what I just said, that the Eldrazi are essentially "stapled" to Zendikar, think of the Titans you see as their hands or heads and the real Titans are still in the blind eternities stuck to Zendikar.

Ugin expressly states that they could probably beat Ulamog in combat, but he would simply unhinge himself of Zendikar and then they could never beat the real full "Ulamog.
>>
>>44314759
Either you've read lore I haven't, or you're chatting absolute balls. Citation needed.

>>44314705
You've got it part right. The token isn't an avatar of Marit Lage. The token *is* Marit Lage. Marit Lage herself is an avatar of something else.
>>
>>44314877
Jace's Uncharted realm that happened a few weeks ago.
>>
Marit Lage was considered to be as strong as a pre-mending planeswalker, but she? since she isn't one she wasn't nerfed during the mending, she was just chillin in that lake.
>>
Can someone explain to me what exactly the point of BFZ is? The planeswalkers aren't going to die, but no way are Wizards going to kill the Eldrazi (because Wizards can never let an awful idea die). So... a whole block where nothing happens to anybody and nothing changes. Fun.
>>
>>44315021
She was comparable in powerlevel to an oldschool planeswalker, but since she wasn't technically one, the mending didn't effect her, so she's currently the most power characters by far (assuming she's still alive, which she most likely would be).
>>
>>44315041
Cause original zen was a great set and they are riding on the nostalgia for a set that has nothing else going for it, they even had to chuck in the expeditions to entice people.
>>
>>44315041
going to see if they manage to seal ulamog before he destroys the plane and escapes.

the others already escaped and are fucking up the multiverse they only know where ula is and are trying to re-staple him to zendicar so they can seal him.

of course, all of zendicar is pretty much fucked, hard.

a barren wasteland so barren that it doesnt even carry the mana a desert would have. nothing can ever live there again.
>>
>>44313231
>Bolas distracting planeswalkers
Bolas is supposed to be the most powerful planeswalker. On top of that, he's a goddamn elder dragon. If other planeswalkers are a possible threat, why doesn't just, y'know, GO FUCKING KILL THEM?

Instead of dealing with individual planeswalkers, he's going to end up facing a goddamn coalition of several planeswalkers who, thanks to the war on Zendikar, have experience fighting giant ancient invincible monsters.
>>
>>44315097
please, Mutani would bitchslap her ass.
>>
Paying any attention to or caring about the storyline of Magic is stupid. It's basically just capeshit with magic and artifacts instead of radiation and super science that Wizards just makes up as they go along.

And worst of all, modern magic storytelling is very much about a reoccurring cast of characters, which means there's absolutely zero tension. WILL JACE DIE? WILL THE ELDRAZI BE KILLED? WILL BOLAS BE DEFEATED? No, of course not, because that would mean they can't use those characters anymore.

Every story becomes "a few of the characters go somewhere, air their interpersonal drama for a little while, maybe fight a little bit, then leave" with the planes being nothing more than backdrops to be fucked up by whatever badguy is along for the ride.
>>
>>44315119
I'm still waiting to find out why this was all to Nicol Bolas' advantage. He arranged for this to happen for a reason and so far I can't fathom what it is, unless he somehow thinks that he can take on the titans on his own to drain their power or something. He's always been a power hungry mother fucker, so that's about the only thing I can imagine this doing for him, but surely he can't be stupid enough to think that it would work, so there must be something else.

Fucking Bolas man.
>>
>>44315232
im pretty sure he is in way over his head. and he didnt expect the eldrazi to be as powerful.
>>
>>44315232
Ten to one Wizards has straight up forgotten Bolas arranged the freeing of the Eldrazi. Because Wizards has no longterm plan for Bolas. They just have him stick his head in to be menacing and secretive as a hook they can sell.
>>
>>44315230
This
At least some of the Weatherlight crew turned evil and or died
And they were interesting
>>
>>44315230
What about Elspeth?
>>
>>44315386
She's obviously going to be stolen by Dack.
>>
>>44315386
She died in a very classic capeshit way, in that it left a gigantic backdoor open for her to not REALLY be dead and to come back whenever they want. She's not DEAD dead, she's trapped in the underworld on Theros.
>>
File: 1410138549509.jpg (9 KB, 240x190) Image search: [Google]
1410138549509.jpg
9 KB, 240x190
>>44315230
Venser died. Elspeth basically died. Sarkhan worse than died. Garruk has slowly turned into a monster. Liliana has killed 2 out of 4 demons. Characters evolve and progress though all those stories you're whining about.

>planes being nothing more than backdrops to be fucked up by whatever badguy is along for the ride

What the fuck were other planes for before this?
>>
>>44315319
I'd take any combination of the Weatherlight crew over any combination of the current cast of planeswalkers.

The Weatherlight crew had motives and a stake in what was going on around them.

What's Gideon's stake in Zendikar? Or Jace's? Or Chandra's? Can't they all just leave whenever they want and go to any of a million different planes?
>>
>>44315386
She happened to die on the one plane where death means guaranteed afterlife.
Remember this post. There will be a white/black undead Elspeth in our time.
>>
>>44315454
Wait, are you saying they set up a recurring character to be used again in the future?!

WOW WHAT HORRIBLE FUCKING WRITING
>>
>>44315386
>She wont be back
Daxos is already back, in just 2 blocks time, and she's a main character walker that has 3 cards, not a legend from a bad block
I hate her, but i know she'll be back in a block or two
>>
>>44315519
Gideon is basically of the opinion if they don't stop the Eldrazi at Zendikar, they're probably not going to stop the Eldrazi at all.
Sure, a planeswalker could just ignore it and run from them for the rest of eternity, but it's going to be hella annoying when they show up on your beloved home plane. Or the plane you set up your magic workshop on. Or the plane with your mortal lover.
>>
>>44315576
But there are only three Eldrazi and they exist in a multiverse of countless worlds.

The odds of the Eldrazi ever showing up on any one plane in a planeswalker's lifetimes is essentially impossible.

And aren't the Eldrazi basically just forces of nature? The planeswalkers trying to defeat the Eldrazi is like if the planeswalkers decided they were going to defeat tornadoes.
>>
>>44315519
Holy shit. Not everyone is a heartless genre savvy coward who looks at every conflict like it's some kind of video game. Some of these characters have morals and empathy. They don't just look at the plane getting eaten by Eldazi and go, "Meh, not my problem" and the nplaneswalk away, because they aren't completely self-centered heartless fuckwads. This is also the reason why the Gatewatch doesn't have a Black planeswalker.

>>44315538
Being undead (or Returned, as they call them on Theros for some reason) destroys the planeswalker spark. Elspeth can come back as a Returned if she wants, but she can't keep her spark if she does. She is currently looking for a way out of the underworld that doesn't require her to be a zombie. We're more likely to get an Angel Elspeth or some kind of Spirit Elspeth.
>>
>>44314346
>Venser's Portal was a very noted exception, but it was never finished.
It was also based on Phyrexian tech he found in Urborg, which they used to invade many planes. They simply weren't a functional faction since the Invasion so it hasn't been seen if their old portal tech has been effected by the Mending.

Norn's flavor text hints pretty directly that they're researching that possibility.
>>
>>44315670
They do not obey a truly random attack pattern. They devour colored mana, so it's likely that the greater the concentration, the more they are allured. They probably avoid old, dying planes that are depleted of mana. (One of the reasons Zendikar was the staging ground against the Eldrazi in ages past is likely due to the potent roiling mana there.)
But the real danger is what happens when they show up on Dominaria, and what does that mean for the rest of the multiverse?
The heart of Dominia has some of the best mana among all planes.
>>
>>44315670
a Planeswalker used to be able to do that and more.
>>
>>44315753
>implying Wizards is ever going back to Dominaria
>>
>>44315753
It was my understanding that post-Invasion Dominaria is post-apocalyptic wasteland absolutely wrecked by the rathi overlay, Yawgmoth's death cloud, and collateral damage from the Legacy.
>>
>>44315877
nah, its chill.

that place has been through at least a dozen "Apocalypses" its kay.
>>
>>44315877
It's kind of a shitty place to live, but at least it still exists.
If the Eldrazi get their writhing tentacles around it, the stability of the multiverse is at stake. Destruction to Dominaria results in the destruction of all.
It's a keystone plane.
>>
File: 1393802188711.jpg (26 KB, 375x363) Image search: [Google]
1393802188711.jpg
26 KB, 375x363
>mfw we finally go back to Dominaria
>mfw the whole place is a lifeless blasted hellscape with bits of phyrexian corpses lying around everywhere
>mfw the glacier that held Marit Lage is now a small, empty lake
>>
File: ABORK BORK BORK BORK.gif (947 KB, 500x215) Image search: [Google]
ABORK BORK BORK BORK.gif
947 KB, 500x215
>>44315974
Fund it
I would truly love if Marit Lage was given an ambiguous resolution like that instead of taking center stage.
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png (244 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
244 KB, 480x368
>>44315230
two out of the three things are major plot points for the lore, dipshit, of course they're not going to always have tension because not every single set is completely focused on them.
>>
>>44315974
>implying we will ever go back to dominaria
>implying we will ever have a story like the phyrexian invasion arc
>implying mtg story now is bratty planeswalkers doing random shit
>>
>>44316460
New Phyrexia was a great plotline though.
>>
>>44315137
Maybe he doesn't think that will be a problem. His objective hasn't been revealed yet (although I assume it boils down to "more power")
>>
File: 1450672318210.png (104 KB, 408x319) Image search: [Google]
1450672318210.png
104 KB, 408x319
>>44316514
>mfw bolas's plan is to undo the mending
>mfw when he succeeds
>mfw when wizards stops focusing on the planeswalker brat pack because of it
>>
>>44315230
"Wizards just makes up as they go along". That is no longer true. Kelly Digges is pretty excited about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEWQ019LvYw
>>
>>44316479
I mean the entire arc starting from mirage > apocalypse.
>>
>tfw there will likely never be a Return to Lorwyn
>there will not be a Maralen, Queen of the Fae
>No new faerie shenanigans
>No new evil elves
>No new Kithkin hobbitses
>No new flamekin, just chillin on fire
>No new Wort anti-blue magic
>No tribal spells (non-creature)

Though Origins did have some Gilt-Leaf elves...
>>
>>44315232
As I said elsewhere. Ugin believes it's a distraction. (at least that's how I interpreted it): http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/revelation-eye-2015-10-14
>>
>>44315576
>>44315670
There is a finite number of planes. Forever is a long time.
>>
File: NicolBolas.jpg (37 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
NicolBolas.jpg
37 KB, 223x310
>>44315232

> He's always been a power hungry mother fucker

Nah, he used to be an old lizard dude that just wanted to be left alone to read his books in his study. Then those damn meddling kids came along and trampled on his lawn...
>>
>>44315737
If Liliana wasn't having trouble with the chain veil, it is very possible she would have decided to go to zendikar on the grounds of fighting Eldrazi being perceived as "fun".
>>
>>44316621
Don't remind me, I fucking loved Lorwyn.
Had a really "fun" fairy deck that my group just fucking hated cause it abused spellstutter sprites and glen elendra pranksters to just keep countering their shit and then
Faerie Tauntings/fliers the table to death.

Their decks got way better and now it is way too fucking slow to actually win, but it was fun back in the day.

On the upside, at least that means wizards won't ruin it either.
>>
>>44316570
Mirage through to Apocalypse was, what, six years?

Wizards introduced us to the new Planeswalkers in Lorwyn, then spent three years back to back building up a rogues gallery for them to fight. That was all act 1. Then we spent four years dealing with individual planes the planeswalkers ran away to while trying to find help to deal with the bad guys. Only now in OGW are they coming together to fight the enemies. That's part of act 2.

Basically we're in the middle of a story arc that's set to last like twice as long as the weatherlight saga.

>>44316565
And then maybe the ending will have this happen and we'll have another franchise-changing reboot. Who knows?
>>
>>44313989
>>44313439
I'm personally convinced that Bolas is really just small time wannabe and claims credit for catastrophes that he had no part in orchestrating like some third-rate terrorist group looking for attention.
>>
>>44300465
hey, wasn't this copypasted into 5es character creation rules?
>>
>>44301178
>implying marit lage is an eldrazi
>>
>>44299925
People say I look like Krieger every day
>>
>>44301603
plot twist, they're lovers, and upon mutual release have sweet, noodely nookie together.
>>
>>44301638
because zendikar was created as the ultimate bait.

its so dang tasty and big they can't bare to leave it, at least, not until they finally finish eating it.

now, if BFZ ends with the fall of zendikar, and the eldrazi moving on to greener, uneaten pastures like they used to, sure.
>>
>>44316753
>Those books arent about stealing your plane and raping your soul
>>
>>44317122
Nnnnrhg I want to write this now but I just wrote a thing with Emrakul and I think I'm out of material.
>>
>>44301653
she was never a planeswalker. she was just that powerful a sorceror.
>>
>>44303106
>some marvel villain

He's called Galactus, Devourr of Worlds, you plebian.

Or alternately, some cultures know him as The hunger that does not cease.
>>
>>44317163
It probably will, considering the major part of the block ended with Ulamog and Kozilek double teaming the coalition immediately after their superweapon was hijacked and summarily destroyed by a glorious demonic bastard.
>>
>>44315917
>Destruction to Dominaria results in the destruction of all.
>It's a keystone plane.
I think I read before that the center of the multiverse shifts from time to time, and that Dominaria wasn't always it's center. In fact, I'm not even sure it's been stated what it means to be the center anyway.

>>44316870
>Basically we're in the middle of a story arc that's set to last like twice as long as the weatherlight saga.
I'm pretty excited for the beginning of Phyrexian Invasion 2.0, but I hope it doesn't occur till the power level rises beyond BFZ and Theros levels
>>
I haven't really been following Zendikar Block 2.0's story closely. Wasn't Jace supposed to be stuck on Ravnica as a result of becoming the Living Guildpact?
>>
>>44317271
Hes on vacation
>>
>>44317246
>I think I read before that the center of the multiverse shifts from time to time, and that Dominaria wasn't always it's center. In fact, I'm not even sure it's been stated what it means to be the center anyway.
Picture the multiverse as a beach. Each grain of sand is a plane. Effects that harm one plane will cause shockwaves to other planes that are touching them. This means an apocalypse here and there doesn't really mean a whole lot of consequence, as even one plane getting utterly wrecked only affects like the 10-20 planes in its vicinity.
Now, imagine there's a giant fucking boulder in the middle of that beach, touching an uncountable number of grains of sand.
That's Dominaria.

It going critical doesn't mean "literally everything" is done for, but the damage will be incomparable to any event previous.
>>
>>44317271
Jace is everywhere because Jace is great and we gotta have Jace who doesn't love Jace nobody that's who! Jace! JAAACCCCE!
>>
>>44305378
don't they have the jedi-curve for this kind of nonsense?
>>
>>44317290
Yeah, but I was under the impression he physically couldn't leave the plane without breaking the Guildpact or something.
>>
>>44317326
he can, its just not a good idea to do it for long because the guilds might kill each other while hes gone
>>
>>44308017
it was also an extremely powerful sorceress, that was capable of inter-plane travel (though had no Spark, thus was not a planeswalker)

And its never been dead. just trapped under a frozen lake.
waiting.
>>
>>44317356
Prepare for Return to Return to Ravnica, where Jace comes back to Ravnica has been completely demolished and is now an apocalyptic wasteland!
>>
>>44317356
And what exactly happens to Ravnica and the guilds if the guildpact dies? What if he gets fucking Ingested, or Dominator Drone'd?

>>44317306
Every time Wizards wanted to do something cool with the franchise (a movie was suggested a gazillion times) the marketing team at Hasbro would ask, "Who's your Mickey Mouse? Who's your Luke Skywalker?" Their best response was, "Uh, like... Serra Angel or something, I guess?"

Marketing is the reason why we have a recurring planeswalker mascot guy, but MaRo is the reason that character is Blue (because the "gamer" mentality is a blue thing I guess) and that Blue character is obnoxious, snooty and badly written because likeable Blue characters are rare as fuck.
>>
File: 1403672876313.jpg (322 KB, 939x520) Image search: [Google]
1403672876313.jpg
322 KB, 939x520
>>44317418
>Prepare for Return to Return to Ravnica, where Jace comes back to Ravnica has been completely demolished
By Emrakul!
>>
>>44317482
Have you ever read anything about Jace other than the flavor text? Because he's none of those things other than badly written but so is most mtg writing.
>>
>>44317482
Basically we go back to the start of RTR, guilds are at each other's throats and there is no force to stop them from killing each other, but no actual repercussions would happen from his death
>>
>>44317549
Only a fraction of Magic players visit the website, let alone read the stories they put out. The flavor text is all the majority of Magic players are ever going to see.
>>
>>44317549
Ya caught me, all I know about Jace is that he seems to have the power to be really smart whenever the plot demands it while still making idiotic decisions whenever the plot demands it. Basically the same as every other "genius" character ever. If I'm wrong then I apologize for completely talking out my ass.
>>
>>44309141
That's not all of Emrakul according to Ugin. just the fisher's hand.
Similarly, that's but a mere avatar of Marit Lage.

We're comparing the strength of random body parts and trying to decide how powerful the whole animal is. Sample size is too small to tell.

Though we do know that all of Emrakul's "spawn" are also appendages of the Emrakul whole too, so I suppose all we really need to do to make this comparison more meaningful is to see more of Marit Lage's avatars.
is the 20/20 indestructible avatar her Nest invader big toe, or her 15/15 uncounterable, annihilator 6 equivalent face?
>>
>>44299878
I'm telling you, when they get to the core of the plot, Bolas is going to be behind it all
>>
>>44317783
>a mere avatar of Marit Lage
see
>>44314877
>>
File: 04142006.png (30 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
04142006.png
30 KB, 620x349
>>44314688
>I don't have a citation apart from the MTG wiki but Marit Lage is expressly stated to be capable of traveling the planes, but no a planeswalker.
Here's the wiki's citation: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/askwizards/0806
>>
>>44314580
>>44314877
explain why Soul of Zendikar is an avatar token.

>>44315518
there werent any. we were always on dominaria.
>>
>>44315670
humanity, given enough tech and prep time, can indeed "defeat tornadoes." weather control, man.

a planeswalker certainly could.
>>
>>44318153
>explain why Soul of Zendikar is an avatar token.
Because it sure as fuck isn't Zendikar.
Zendikar would be like a 60/100 indestructible trample "attacks each turn whenever able" "when Zendikar attacks, create a clone of Zendikar tapped and attacking for each other player [including you], sacrifice those clones at end of combat"

(That was a joke, you cannot summon nor fight a plane, but the point remains that the Soul of Zendikar is not Zendikar. Killing it does not end a plane.)
>>
>>44317745
Well you're sort of right, when we first see him he's making nothing but bad decisions because he frequently mind wipes himself and others to forget the mistakes he's made so he keeps making the same mistakes over and over. But during Return to Ravnica, the first block Jace has had any relevance to the plot he's trying to make up for what he's done in the past and starts thinking things through and stops mindwiping himself, so he almost entirely stops making bad decisions and starts making good decisions because he's started learning from his mistakes.
>>
>>44318219
And the same applies for whatever Marit Lage is part of, now doesn't it.

>>44317836

So again, are we comparing faces to big toes, or are we comparing fists to fists?

And, since these are weirdly -shaped animals and comparative fist size still probably doesn't tell you much of anything about the remainder of the beast, how big is the rest of the whole?

If an entire plane's avatar is a 6/6, what makes a 20/20?
>>
>>44318325
>And the same applies for whatever Marit Lage is part of, now doesn't it.
So Marit Lage is not the complete representation of Marit Lage.
... which is exactly what they said.
>>
>>44318153
>we were always on dominaria.
Except for Rabiah, Ulgrotha, Rath, Mercadia, Phyrexia, and a whole bunch that come up in the book Planeswalker.
>>
>>44318220
>he frequently mind wipes himself
Eden of the East?
>>
>>44317745
Mechanically thats how blue plays. When it learns the meta it looks like a precognative savant, when it fails it looks like a smug asshole that got in too deep to keep counter magic open. He is actually the closest to his color alignment that a planeswalker can get ignoring urza and red.
>>
>>44315753

Dominaria's mana patterns are almost completely depleted, by Urza (white moon), by Karona (most of the colors) by Teferi (2 continents shunted away), by Jeska and Freyalise (all green mana of Yavimaya and Skyshroud)
>>
>>44317165

I'm pretty sure he's trying to get through his Jane Austen collection.
>>
Do you know what I want to see? Slivers, that's right, fucking Slivers. Think about it, Sliver infestation, thousands of slivers swarming over Eldrazi, adopting to being ingested somehow, learning how to survive outside of planes like eldrazi so they can eat them directly, instead of their hands.
>>
>>44321327
I want to see hordes of Neo Slivers, Old Slivers, and everything in between fucking pouring out of the landscape the Eldrazi chose to attack, and fucking decimating the Eldrazi the moment the Slivers hit critical mass.

I want to see an Eldrazi titan walk right the fuck into the home of planar apocalypse level characters from the old lore, like Marit Lage, and get their shit pushed in so hard they have to fucking retreat.

I want to see the standardly powerful planes like Ravnica attempting to fight the Eldrazi off in a losing battle like Zendikar's, while oddball planes like Lorwyn or Kamigawa turn the fucking tide on their own because of planar level quirks like the Great Aurora and the Kami.

I want to see Phyrexia in on all this too with all shades of success from total backlash wipeout on some planes, to stalemates, to entire New Phyrexias.
>>
>>44317271
shits happening on ravnica because of this. tesya and tasijic tried to overthrow the obesdat and we found out they are above ravnican law magic. Jace was already losing power just because he prepared to deal with zendikar, If he takes longer than the next rotation for commander product to go back hes really going to be fucked.
>>
>>44317299
What are your sources on this?
>>
>>44321473
That would be fantastic.
>>
>>44321473

>Kamigawa
>oddball

Despite being quite shit on card level, on fluff level kamigawa is completly bonkers

Anyway the word you're looking for is not sliver. it's "thallid" .
>>
What if no one at WOTC has a clue what to think about Marit Lage and the chances of it ever coming back are slim to none due to the fact that the entire company realizes that nothing they do with Marit Lage could ever live up to the head canon of thousands of players?
>>
>>44323109
Seriously when are we getting thallid slivers. There's already one sliver with the fungus subtype, and it seems like a natural path for the slivers to make fukhuge amounts of themselves.
>>
File: Zendikar_gods.jpg (87 KB, 900x678) Image search: [Google]
Zendikar_gods.jpg
87 KB, 900x678
>Angels back on Innistrad curb stomping bad dudes
>Innistrad all about those angels now
>Emakrul was once thought to be the angel looking Emeria
>Emakrul somehow gets caught up in all this angel shit on Innistrad.
That's how I feel it's gonna go down.
>>
>>44321327
Resurgence Sliver 2<><>

All slivers have "You may play this card while it is exiled as though it were in your hand."
You may play this card while it is exiled as though it were in your hand.

2/2
>>
>>44325787
holy shit that would be amazing. You even want to be hit with Ingest creatures for extra draw.

Would also rock in my EDH slivers, casting my commander after a path/swords.
>>
>>44325787

please god not this. i'm getting tired of paying extra mana to send stuff to the second graveyard
>>
File: 1444797039974.jpg (327 KB, 1129x613) Image search: [Google]
1444797039974.jpg
327 KB, 1129x613
>the gatewatch walkers rush to Innistrad to put down the last titan, somehow
>make a plan based on how they know the eldrazi act
>set a trap
>Marit ignores it and slaps their shit
>realize this is something else
>everyone busy dealing with this thing, whatever the fuck it is
>distracted while Emrakul rejoins her other finger elsewhere
>>
>>44315974

>Nameless Lake
[spooky picture of very still water with bits of ice with fuck huge claw marks floating innit]

T: add <> to your mana pool.
T,(4): discorporate 1(to discorporate pick a nonland permanent. That permanent's controller sacrifices it, then adds x to their mana pool where x is equal to that permanent's converted mana cost.)

"Something terrible began here, with none to witness it, and I fear that there shall be none to witness it's completion."-some chucklefuck
>>
>>44329342
>repeatable removal that gets around shroud/hexproof on a fucking land with virtually no downside

Thank god you aren't on the magic design team.
>>
>>44313989
>What the fuck was up with him getting defeated and suddenly it was just a doppelganger?
It was Test of Metal, that's what's up with it. Entire book is kind of horrible in general and gives both Tezzeret and Bolas horribly broken temporal fuckery that comes down to I Win, because the author didn't know shit-all about Magic.
>>
>>44317482
Trained Orgg was the advertised picture when I started.
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.