[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of Overlord, especially for someone familiar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 16
File: overlord-1435587734p8l4c.jpg (259 KB, 793x788) Image search: [Google]
overlord-1435587734p8l4c.jpg
259 KB, 793x788
What does /tg/ think of Overlord, especially for someone familiar with D&D game mechanics. Is it worth watching?

If nothing else, /tg/ anime thread.
>>
Just another trapped in a video game anime with a spooky skeleton.
Has nothing to do with D&D.
>>
>>44294918
It's more MMO than D&D.
If you want D&D, then you should be watching Record of Lodoss War or Slayers.

That said, some things that are explained in the Light Novels are not explained in the anime; most importantly that the MC's build is an RP-build going for a specific theme. While he has a lot of theoretical knowledge on playstyles, and he took part in guild raids, his build is not optimized for either PVE or PVP, so he can actually be said to be one of the weakest members of the guild. This is one of the fears that he has, that a rebellion by the NPC's would actually succeed against him, if they realized that he's actually weaker than the NPC's optimized to fight against entire other guilds of players.
>>
>>44294918
I like it. Light Novel is better of course, but the Chinese cartoon was decent.

>>44295177
Well, except for the entire spell system which is lifted from 3.5 with very few changes. The leveling system has a loose 3.5 feel.

I also lime to joke that the MMO anime are just ripoffs of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoons anyway.

>100 Level Cap
>You can only take a certain number of levels in a class (varies by class)
>Everyone has prestige classes out the ass
>Main Character's best ability is gained from 5 levels in a ridiculously obscure prestige class with exacting requirements that gives him a use ability that strips immunity to death effects but makes them delayed activation.

>>44295258
This, but if I recall he said he was fairly high in PVP rank in spite of his poor PVP build because he would concentrate on observing his opponent in the first match of three and then formulate a counter strategy based on for the last two matches. Not that that strategy works when you can die for real, but meh.

MC is also rather poor at being a BBEG and mostly just follows Albedo/Demiurge's plans and then pretend that he was already planning on doing what they suggested. For that reason, and not having a penis around a hot succubus waifu I feel pretty bad for MC.

Also, having been in a lot of collapsed guilds I feel MC's feels about his guildies.
>>
>>44295567
>5 levels in a ridiculously obscure prestige class with exacting requirements
And weren't those requirements massively sub-optimal, and that's why the devs felt confident that no one would get the overpowered ability?
>>
>>44296427
While it can be said that in many (all) MMOs there are things that are badly thought, planned and/or implemented, let me tell you that a dev will never, ever get allotted a single hour towards work that they feel from the get-go isn't going to be used by players. No design like that is going to pass the muster when the higher-ups divvy up the resources.
>>
>>44296987
Yggdrasil already packed with "holy fuck its so bullshit" amount of player freedom, overall content and imbalanced shit that yes, I can believe they purposefully packed a bullshit OP skill at the end of obscure shitty class tree.
>>
File: 3.5.webm (3 MB, 714x400) Image search: [Google]
3.5.webm
3 MB, 714x400
I found this to be hilariously accurate to 3.5.

I've been reading the novel on and off, it gets tiresome with how long all the development of characters I simply do not care about (random inhabitants of the new world) drags on.
>>
>>44294918
Looser gets trapped in a VRMMO and plays as a litch.
The plot however is booring and the characters are animu tropes.

Wait for Gifting to come out next year.
It's a comedy about a useless neet dying from thinking that he was run over by a truck (it was a tractor and it didn't even run him over he just collapsed) and getting transported to an alternative world having only average stats and a useless healer companion as his cheat.
Then he meets two other useless people (a lady knight who is an M and can't hit anything with her weapon and a loli wizard from the race of magic autism who only knows to cast one spell that uses all her mana).
Hillarity ensues as everything in the world is a twisted trope and cabages are monsters that yield exp.
>>
>>44294918
never saw the animu, read parts of the LN.

Started out promising for the genre (which is pretty dogshit overall in that it's lazy writing along the lines of 'transported to VRMMO, rely on well known video game tropes instead of explaining anything) but MC starts out decently well written. Reacts in a rational way (new world? Research local power levels, figure out where he stands in terms of power, jew his resources as much as possible til he finds what is/isn't renewable) plus his motivation for being a pseudo BBEG boils down to "if there are any other people from my world, I'll make them come to me by raising my infamy". Bonus points for singlehandedly running a two man con as the good guy and bad guy while he does it for even more protection.

It's also an interesting deconstruction to some degree; MC is non-optimized and built for flavour; his high ranking comes from the glory days in the game where he was supported by the rest of the guild (who had many players that /were/ optimized for pvp and would mass gank rivals) and the only reason he still holds his high rating is because he's basically a legacy player who kept playing/grinding long after everyone quit. So there's a sense of panic that he's on borrowed time when he actually does have to deal with high level threats, because his only way of dealing with them is by dipping into his limited supply of p2w items (since he's actually a shitter)
>>
>>44297690
But all that interesting buildup is kinda ruined by plot-forced idiocy and fiat; he may be a shitter, but he's basically an unoptimized tier-4 character in a world of level 1 villagers so there's no ugency; even though he's ostensibly a BBEG in the making he's too much of a dickless wonder to do anything; his NPCs are interesting but worship him too much to do anything without his approval (which he won't give because he's too insecure) and this is offset by his obliviousness that makes willing suspension of disbelief impossible (he was an excellent guildmaster and knows everything about his guildmates/their creations to the point that arguably most of his motivation is along the lines of honoring their memory) yet somehow doesn't really understand what could happen when he gives his CE demon/eldritch abomination minions who utterly UTTERLY despise humanity (because it's written into their fucking backstory created by him and his bros) free reign to do what they want to accomplish his goals.
>>
>>44297494
Don't forget the biggest punchline.
Studio DEEN
>>
>>44297705
there's also JAPAN WONDERFUL DEEP CULTURE MUCH HONOR xenophobic wankery. And arbitrary GRIMDERPness "minions SO EVIL we breed our captive human prisoners and force feed them their own children and skin them alive for parchment and MAGIC to regenerate it" etc

then the 'story' diverges off into other viewpoints of characters that basically exist to be killed off (well, to flesh out the universe but it's utterly tedious and boring and nobody gives a shit about any of them) and to set up the retarded M Night Shyamalan TWEEEEEEST. Which is that the alternate world is actually a real place that has been plagued by small handfuls of OP visitors from this VRMMO for millenia bringing chaos and destruction every time, and that the actual BBEG is a dragon who doesn't have enough power to face them and has to politic behind the scenes to force them to take each other out.

so it degenerates into multiple storylines with very little coherence and the worst part is that's the professionally edited LN version and the WN is juuuuussst complete and utter unbelievable dogshit
>>
>>44294918
Surprisingly brutal and visceral kills, when they happen. An interesting main character. Nice deconstruction of what an absurdly high level character does to a low level area. Hope there is a season 2, although the LN might not provide the best story for that.
>>
>>44297769
You don't like lizard Hand holding?
>>
>>44297773
I'm just a little concerned, as it seems like the next few chapters are not concerned with Momon/Ainz, but rather with the numerous tiny side characters.
>>
>>44297745
>>44297769
Something about the combination of grimdark, an overly cautious main character, and really weak supporting characters was just really off putting to me. I mostly heard positive things about the show when it was running, but I only watched it because I had friends who were watching it. In terms of trash fantasy video game anime I'd pick Log Horizon over it (though fucking >>44297724 kind of killed it)
>>
File: thehorror.jpg (53 KB, 425x301) Image search: [Google]
thehorror.jpg
53 KB, 425x301
>>44297724
>>
I was going to drop the anime right up until this bitch showed up, and then it became JUST watchable enough for me to finish it.

I tried to read the LN but it was boring as fuck.
>>
>>44294918

The anime is extremely faithful to the LN... which is a terrible thing. A lot of the buildup that works in the written word makes for a really boring Anime episode. There is exactly zero tension in the first 3 episode and very little afterwards.

The LN is better, but I lost interest in it for the same reason a lot of other people did: too much focus on a bunch of side characters I don't care about. The most interesting parts of Overlord is when Ains is trying to keep his morals and manage the expectation of his minons, who are complete fucking monsters. Sure, adding perspective from those that get run over helps, but the author does side stories waaaay too much.
>>
>>44298182
Dont forget that horrid Momon CG.
>>
>>44294918

It's really silly. It's a self-insert fantasy, but from a strategic perspective instead of a more 'individual hero' one. I personally think - yes, bear with me - Sword Art Online actually did it better, in some of the stories we've read about the early days.

I still think 'The First Day' is my favorite VRMMO story ever. Overlord in general is...Man, I don't know. It's vaguely embarrassing like most other LNs.
>>
>>44298425
>I still think 'The First Day' is my favorite VRMMO story ever.
How does it stand out?
>>
>>44298353

I was thankfully spared those.

>>44298425
The premise has potential. Somebody finds himself inhabiting his edgelord MMO character along with his batfuck crazy NPCs in a vaguely familiar world where people love and bleed and die. I see a "Give a man power to see his true nature" kinda story there.

But the execution....
>>
>>44298455

It's about Kirito's First Day in SAO. He encounters another player, Cooper, who's after the same Quest reward he's pursuing. Note that both characters are still fairly low-level, so he's not the overpowered guy he'll be two years later.

Basically, the Quest involves killing monsters until one of them drops the quest item. But if you hit them wrong, every creature in the area aggros on you. Kirito finds the quest item, but Cooper deliberately slashes the pod and monsters swarm both of them en masse. Basically, he's trying to kill Kirito by having the monsters swarm him, while he uses his Hide skill to evade them. (At this point, both PCs only have two skill slots; Kirito has Search and Sword. Cooper has Sword and Hide.)

The problem is, these monsters hunt by smell instead of by sight, which means Hiding is useless. And both of them end up fighting for their lives. Kirito barely escapes by the skin of his teeth, and the fight is so furious that he doesn't even notice when Cooper is killed by monsters.

At the end, Kirito limps to the questgiver, collects his reward, and has a minor breakdown. He tries to talk to one of the NPCs, and is chilled to find that they're only talking in pre-programmed loops. He's alone in a place where he may very well die, and the only way out is through.

And that's it.
>>
>>44298570
Only gripe I have about the first episode of SAO is the fact that the game can be finished. Just a sign of how much of a hack the author is.
>>
>>44298570
Sounds pretty interesting. All the human dickwaddery.

>so he's not the overpowered guy he'll be two years later.
Wait.
SAO has gone for 2+ years in universe?
You mean the people have been trapped with their VR headsets on for two years and everybody was just happily taken care of by their families and everything?
AND the masses didn't just fucking die off from in-MMO deaths during that time period?
Dear lord the derptation of the overall plot reaches depths I have not even imagined.

(This is really why I consider SAO to be the bottom tier of the genre: too much bullshit to swallow the "stuck in the game" premise as "realistic". Log Horizon and Overlord just outright slap "its magic or sumtin, I ain't gotta explain shit" and focus on what happens in the world.)
>>
>>44298613

Yeah, it went for about two years. At the end of SAO, Kirito is seriously fucked-up.

Actually, all of the people are kept in government coma wards, to ensure they were taken care of. The villain gives them a several-hour grace period to be set up and reconnected in hospital.
>>
>>44294918
I've never liked these kind of stories except for Dungeon Keeper Ami, which I dropped (or maybe put on hiatus) because releases were too slow.
>>
>>44298622
>The villain gives them a several-hour grace period to be set up and reconnected in hospital.
Okay, that's one common sense violation less.
Still hate the overall mass-murdering plot.

One of my favourite VRMMO story is a series of short episodes in a Russian game magazine - it didn't have any "stuck in" plot at all, just a bunch of people beta-testing (or just playing) VR games. Much easier on the disbelief suspension overall, as well as fun seeing them grapple with and abuse bugs in the games.
>>
>>44298653

I think I know what you're talking about. The Way of the Shaman series, right? I didn't like it that much.

See, the thing about SAO is that the villain ultimately wanted to be a DM. He wanted people to live in his fantasy world. He trapped all those people in there not to kill or torment them, but because he wanted them to join him in the greatest campaign of all time. Dying when your HP hits zero was simply to simulate life and death, to make shit more real.
>>
>>44298660
>The Way of the Shaman series, right? I didn't like it that much.
No, first time I heard of that one.

It was just short stories published in the magazine (LKI) itself rather than book series reviewed by it.
(And the MMO was just a recurring game, not a main focus of the plot or anything, if I sounded misleading.)

>Dying when your HP hits zero was simply to simulate life and death, to make shit more real.
Still insane.
What most breaks my disbelief is that how he got all this stuff in.
>>
>>44298692
>LKI

Mah nigga. I have so many of those and an entire bag of cd's with game goodies. Patches, mods, music, demos, articles.
>>
File: 1358567747403.gif (3 MB, 459x459) Image search: [Google]
1358567747403.gif
3 MB, 459x459
>>44298653
>One of my favourite VRMMO story is a series of short episodes in a Russian game magazine - it didn't have any "stuck in" plot at all, just a bunch of people beta-testing (or just playing) VR games. Much easier on the disbelief suspension overall, as well as fun seeing them grapple with and abuse bugs in the games.

Holy shit i just found someone else who read Beta testers. This truly is a /tg/ christmas miracle.
>>
>>44298710
Yeah, I got several boxes of stacked mags, plus a stash of disks. Igromania and MF too. (Although I've dropped buying them a while ago.)

>>44298728
Hah. Hell, two apparently, with >>44298710?
>>
File: tears in the rain.gif (2 MB, 350x190) Image search: [Google]
tears in the rain.gif
2 MB, 350x190
>>44298692
>>44298710
>>44298728

RIP LKI, RIP Psmith.
>>
>>44298728
>>44298746
Well I'll be, what are the odds of that? Let's celebrate this by reminiscing about times past. Igromania was good and PC gamer was okay as well. Didn't really like Game Exe, they seemed like assholes to me. The earliest issue I have is the one that hypes up Morrowind and Warcraft 3 as well as Neverwinter nights.
>>
>>44297869
I'm not usually into the crazy ones, but daaaaamn.
>>
>>44295177
Confirmed for never having watched the fucking show, considering he isn't trapped in a game at all.
>>
>>44298767
I only was buying LKI and Navigator seriously. They both had good articles, and, more importantly, good not-vidya content.
>>
File: ready for shitpost.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ready for shitpost.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>44297354
>>
>>44294918
read it instead
mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg!N99CQAgT
>>
>>44295177
>trapped in a game
How about no.
>>
>>44298767
I've only bought much of Igromania related ones, with just a handful of other companies'.
>>
>>44298837
lmao australian power
>>
File: 1432694016618.jpg (362 KB, 930x1431) Image search: [Google]
1432694016618.jpg
362 KB, 930x1431
>>44297769
>tfw the goats will never get animated
>>
>>44298860
Oh yeah, I also subscribed to the local Belarussian vidya newspaper Virtualnye Radosti.
Its storytiming of Half Life had the widdle me pretty confused about what was going on there - was it a game? was it a regular written story?
>>
>>44294918
>What does /tg/ think of INSERT OFFTOPIC BULLSHIT HERE
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>44297354
It's also hilariously accurate to WoW, fag.
>>
>>44298904
Hello /v/. Enjoy your stay
>>
>>44297769
>An interesting main character
Kak.
>>
>>44297354
>not liking the lizardmen and Jugem's boys
>>
>>44298914
Yggdrasil is what WoW would be if Blizzard had infinite money and manpower to actually be able to put out the content in amounts the players demand of them.
>>
>>44298758
I remember the duel club where they played old games against each other. Damn, that Master of Orion 2 battle was cool as fuck.

Anyway, what's with all the ruskies here?
>>
>>44298930
That doesn't suddenly make it not videogame tropes just because desperate virgins like you self-insert onto the Skelemary Sue
>>
>>44298938
Duel Club was awesome as hell.
("Good luck, I am behind 7000 skeletons" in HoMM2 is my favourite moment.)
>>
>>44298972
Man, you're salty. Best part is you chucklefucks pretend to have taste when all you're reading is genre fiction and playing pretend with other people.
>>
>>44298916
>discussed some shitty video game anime
>call others /v/
>>
>>44298916
>/v/
>discussion
M8...
>>
>>44294918
ITT: weeaboos and fa/tg/uys duke it out to find out who's the most cringeworthy
>>
>>44294918
It's the same "Japanese Protagonist is over powered and nothing can stop him" bullshit that Japan so likes.

It's boring, nothing happens, it's just a masturbatory tale of fucking loser suddenly becoming god.

So, yeah, just like my D&D tales when I was 6 or 7 years old.
>>
>>44299043
Just watch/read/play whatever the fuck you like, as long as you aren't hurting anybody it really doesn't matter. Asking for the approval of a bunch of sweaty neckbeards is just sad.
>>
>>44298613
This was also a problem in GGO. They made the currency system of a pvp shooter lucrative business. They made the company that made the game still be secretive even though there are deaths. But the when it came to how he killed the players it was some bullshit about how they know the address instead of just saying hax powers.

>inb4 but muh realism.
>>
>>44299080
>that Japan so likes
Niggapls, everybody likes that.
Look at ye classical murrican action films.
>>
>>44298660
Nah, I'm pretty sure that he wants to kill of retards that think MMO's can be finished
>>
>>44296427
The ability isn't even good for PvP, though. It's got a 4 day cooldown and is hard countered by autorez, which was commonplace to the point where people routinely had to be killed three times in a row before it'd stick.

Not to mention twelve seconds is a long fucking time in MMO combat.
>>
>>44299128
Different. They actually have backstory for those skills. Overlord is just "I was a loser yesterday with no fucking friends or family, suddenly I'm god with slave lover and adoration of the most powerful beings in the world, look how I curb stomp every single other living being by being a god".

Commando and others at least had a worthy adversaries.
>>
>>44298837
The best thing to come out of that horrid show.
>>
>>44299175
You can't be this deluded.
>>
>>44297354
>Greater Hardening
>Penetrate Up
Gets me everytime.
>>
>>44299201
Gotta get his boner ready.
>>
>>44294918
It's retarded trash for people whose childhoods amounted to being addicted to shitty MMOs.
>>
>>44299127
Wait a fucking second.
Are you telling that
>pvp MMO
>where people actually die after being killed
>with p2w mechanics
could reasonably exist for more than one day?

Because that's the gist of the plot i'm getting and my brain is overflowing with fuck right now.
>>
>>44299184
Tell me a single famous action film where the hero and story is as bad as in overlord.

There's nothing that could even come close to overlord. He curbstomps everything with no damage to him or anything he cares about.

He doesn't even care about anything, for that matter.

He is the worst mary sue "Japanese Loser To God" I've ever seen, most of all because it's played fucking straight.

He literally spends wanking his cock over a minute before the final curbstomp, and it's played fucking straight.

I cannot understand what the hell you can see in this garbage that would trump even the worst action films America has made.
>>
>>44299238

No, only the first MMO has them trapped in the game. GGO is basically a post-apocalyptic MMO, where players have been recently turning up dead. Our protagonist begins to investigate, because it should be physically impossible for someone to die while using the new VR equipment.
>>
>>44299238
I'm just saying that the author has no fucking idea what his writing and for some reason fuckers gobble it up.
>>
>>44299253
>He curbstomps everything with no damage to him or anything he cares about.
>the whole Shalltear incident
>>
File: 1449442204479.gif (3 MB, 320x227) Image search: [Google]
1449442204479.gif
3 MB, 320x227
But i thought it was kind of a fun anime with some cool moments. Am i having the wrong kind of fun /tg/?
>>
>>44299175
>I was a loser yesterday with no fucking friends or family, suddenly I'm god with slave lover and adoration of the most powerful beings in the world
>Too bad i got lobotomized in the process and lost 90% of my emotions. That might at least making being a paranoid wreck a bit more tolerable

Nigga is so scared of losing his minions loyalty if he looks unprofessional that he spends eight hours a day (skeletons don't need sleep, after all) standing in front of a mirror and practicing regal hand gestures.

If you think it's supposed to be a powerlevel wank, you're looking at it all wrong. Ainz is there for comedy. Watching him bumble his way through planning and statecraft while desperately pretending he has any idea what's going on, then watching other characters misinterpret his half-thought flailings as the work of a long-sighted mastermind is hilarious.
>>
>>44299280
Which turns out to be nothing but a fucking minor annoyance at best for the godly protagonist.

Did you really think that how it was build up that Shalltear had any fucking chance in living hell to even hurt the all mighty loser god?
>>
>>44299310
No, I liked it as well, but it's still garbage.
I'm
>>44299080

And I liked it because despite the fact that I hate the characters and the useless piece of shitpaper they called the story, it still had a fucking Lich as the protagonist.

Lich are objectively the best thing of all time.
>>
>>44299253
>He literally spends wanking his cock over a minute before the final curbstomp, and it's played fucking straight.
If you're referring to the Shaltear fight, he was stalling until his cooldowns finished. That's a perfectly legitimate strategy.
It's also by no means a curbstomp, since he came out of the fight flat out of MP, half out of HP, several twice-a-week abilities tapped out, and down several irreplaceable items, followed by blowing a tenth of his treasury on rezzing.
>>
>>44299329
>Did you really think that how it was build up that Shalltear had any fucking chance in living hell to even hurt the all mighty loser god?
>even hurt
He got a whole lot more than hurt, dude. He fucking scraped a win only by mootching off the endgame equipment of a half-dozen other players.
He's a fucking caster, and the fight ended in melee with no mana. That's how you know shit has gone very poorly.
>>
>>44299320
Don't forget his extra guild skill: Make Demiurge/Albedo explain shit. Having that in itself immediatelymakes him not god mode
>>
>>44299253
If you're this salty with skelly then you must have exploded watching danmachi
>>
File: 1450633413711.png (3 MB, 780x3120) Image search: [Google]
1450633413711.png
3 MB, 780x3120
Its a pretty good show. I kinda like watching things from the perspective of the Empire once in a while.

Also the MC is a fucking lich, how often do you see that
>>
>>44294918

The anime can be funny, and there is some pretty hot characters.

Never read the LN

>>44297705
>(he was an excellent guildmaster and knows everything about his guildmates/their creations to the point that arguably most of his motivation is along the lines of honoring their memory) yet somehow doesn't really understand what could happen when he gives his CE demon/eldritch abomination minions who utterly UTTERLY despise humanity (because it's written into their fucking backstory created by him and his bros) free reign to do what they want to accomplish his goals.

I think he actually never bothered to read the NPCs' background and such.

He iss completly clueless concerning most of their personalities and quirks, and he seemed surprised about Albedo's "she's a slut" programming.
>>
>>44299445
He mentions that once they came to the new world, he memorized everyones bios, especially shalltears. Which either makes him a monster or an idiot for letting Shalltear free pass to travel.

I'm siding with the "idiot" explanation.
>>
>>44299413
>my plan? Wait, what plan? Fuck, uh, think, think, think...
>"Demiurge. I will permit you to explain what you know to the others."
>[insert plan to take over the world here]
>oh shit what they think I want to rule the world
>>
>>44299485

... Yeah, he's both an emotionless monster and a monumental idiot
>>
>>44299485
>Which either makes him a monster or an idiot for letting Shalltear free pass to travel.
Honestly, Shalltear was one of the less destructive options among his minions. She, at least, starts off restraining herself to maintain her image. Demiurge would be twisting EVERYTHING he go remotely near, while Albedo would probably just flat-out murder everybody who so much as looked at her wrong thanks to her general disgust for humans.

In any case, he had no idea she was going to get mind-controlled, since undead are supposed to be immune. Once he realizes that a World item is responsible, he flips his shit over his own stupidity and goes hyperparanoid, to the point where he's still overcautious about whatever nebulous enemy has it in book 9.
>>
>>44299485
Hey, his alignment is "Great Evil." He's just staying in character.
People keep forgetting that he lost a lot of his human emotions and morals when he abruptly stopped being, well, human.
You can see this in the anime by how his voice changes over time. In the very beginning, he has one human voice. Once the transfer happens, his speaking voice becomes that of his character, but he thinks in his human voice. Late in the show he thinks and speaks in his character's voice, with his human voice appearing only during sporadic attacks of conscience or culture shock.
He's literally become a voice in his own head. The human he was isn't behind the wheel anymore, he's just providing directions from the passenger seat.

Plus, all of his asspull moments of brilliance are just him relying on his INT rolls to say "Yeah, I dunno how to do this, but my character totally would."
>>
>>44299320
It's less of a loser suddenly becoming a god and more of a low grade bank clerk suddenly getting promoted to chief financial manager.

At least to Ainz it appears to him as this kind of scenario.
>>
>>44294918
The show has nods to D&D, even uses some of the spell names from D&D, but thats about as relevant as it gets. Over all the show is pretty good. Definitely up /tg/s alley.

would recommend/10
>>
>>44295177
Next time actually do some research before voicing your objectively shitty and wrong opinions.
>>
Also, someone made an English version of the opening song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEtJ83c8LWg

Overlord is pretty horrifying, if you dig deeper than the skin-deep level.

Thankfully, the anime is less "grim for grimderp's sake"
>>
>>44295177
Ainz LITERALLY starts throwing metamagic around, and refers to his spells in tiers which go up to 9.

Sebas buys a scroll of Floating Disk at once point.

It is D&D.
>>
>>44297354
That's sort of the point. It's standard procedure to develop random side characters and then have Nazarick come along and stomp their fucking shit in.
>>
File: 1431036594688.jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1431036594688.jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
>>44299320
This.

Ainz isn't a power fantasy because he's a fucking loser. Even if he's a magic wizard skeleton god, he's still a fucking loser on the inside, and the only thing which changes that is his slow but steady shift to being a fucking loser who is ALSO a complete monster.
>>
>>44300042
>tiers which go up to 9
10, actually, not counting over magic. It is based on D&D in the same way that the original Final Fantasy is based on D&D, and not actually D&D with some unworkable bits filed off like Baldur's Gate and the like.
>>
>>44299665
>Plus, all of his asspull moments of brilliance are just him relying on his INT rolls
MMOs don't have INT rolls
>>
>>44300042
Both Final Fantasy and WoW have tiered spells.

It's an MMO
>>
What I wanted was Not Skeletor doing Not Skeletor things.

What I got was far too many discussions about game mechanics.
>>
>>44299310
>caring about what the neckbeards from this den of autism think
/tg/ has always been awful and let no one tell you otherwise.
>>
I started off liking the show and the light novels, but the more I read, the less I enjoyed them. Power fantasy or not I prefer it when the protagonist is actually making a positive influence in stead of horribly fucking everything near him.

It gets worse the longer the novels go on, and I'd only ever go back if I head that they were finished and Momonga ends up getting his shit kicked in.
>>
>>44299445
>I think he actually never bothered to read the NPCs' background and such.
I would not read novel length material about random NPCs either.
>>
>>44301727
But he made a positive influence on the lizards, Carne village and Erantel.
>expecting a goddamned lich not to fuck up everything near him
>>
>>44301725
Then why make this awful thread?
>>
>>44299665
He really should rely on Pandora's Actor more, shame Ainz can't get himself to come to terms with his own creation
>>
>>44301816
Because you people are also incredibly insecure and need someone to approve of you and your choices since no one else gives a shit.
>>
>>44301830
He did manage to trick people with him in the last novel, really needs to take advantage of the doppelganger more often than once in a while.
>>
File: papa bones shocked.jpg (99 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
papa bones shocked.jpg
99 KB, 599x337
>>44300164
>>
File: 1440298513417.gif (193 KB, 278x347) Image search: [Google]
1440298513417.gif
193 KB, 278x347
>>44299485
He was smart enough to put Sebas in charge of interacting with the larger human populations.

Plus Shaltear's mission was to go kill bandits until she finds one that's interesting. That there are World Class items out there didn't even occur to him, and once he knows there out there he really starts buckling down on not being a stupid wannabe villain, including using body doubles when he needs to put in an appearance and corrupting powerful officials who can tell him about the shit he needs to know.

He hasn't stopped being a looser yet but fuck is he trying.
>>
>>44294918
>What does /tg/ think of
It's shit desu senpai
>>
>>44298848
>>44298805
He totally is trapped in a game, though. I mean, there's a little bit more to it than that, but speaking in vague terms? Yeah, that's an accurate description.
>>
>>44306096
He's not in the game.
He's in a parallel fantasy universe that bears some similarity with the game.
>>
File: gamma nabe.jpg (9 KB, 189x266) Image search: [Google]
gamma nabe.jpg
9 KB, 189x266
>>44303956
do you have the gamma gif?
>>
>>44301849
Do you not realise how silly you sound? You're here too buddy. And you're pretty obviously the one who's upset at people telling you that you have bad taste. If you really didn't care what anyone here thought, you wouldn't be replying so much, you'd just ignore the thread.
>>
>>44306140
Blatantly close enough.
>>
>>44306596
There's a lot of differences. Like it's unclear if there's even a real world to go back to.
>>
Typical LN mary sue bullshit.
>>
>>44306617
Close. Enough.
>>
>>44299409
If he's a caste rnad the fight ended in melee with no mana howd he win?
>>
>>44306818
By batmanning and buffing himself out the ass like any competent 3.5 epic lich.
>>
>>44306818
Exhausted her mana and limited abilities, wiped her summons (which she was killing herself to heal), buffs out the wazoo, hotswapping weapons which belonged to other guild members to force her out of her most effective combat style, and ultimately, stalling until the coolfown on the super-tier nuke spell he opened the fight with was over. Then using a cash shop item to skip the long charge-up time the spell has in leu of a mana cost.
>>
File: deltaOVERDRIVE.gif (202 KB, 251x348) Image search: [Google]
deltaOVERDRIVE.gif
202 KB, 251x348
>>44306166
sorry, only these two
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.