[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gurps or BRP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
I've made a setting recently that I'd need a generic system for. which is the better system, GURPS or Basic Roleplaying System?
>pic related to setting
>>
>>44289150
Pic related will not work in either.

Gurps is for autists, BRP is for GMs who know what they're doing. You might want Wushu. Fate could work. But I will venture a guess that your setting is ten pages of fanwankery without structure or genre, so it really doesn't matter. Use D20.
>>
>>44289638
well so far the setting doesn't even fill 1 page. it's a vague idea.
>>
>>44289748
Well without so much as even a vague idea of your vague idea there is no way we can help you.
>>
>>44289748
What matters to the setting, what should the crunch care about especially?

Pacing and tension?
Combat and damage?
Characters and their struggle?
Tactics and strategy?
Rule-of-cool?
Tables and lists of stuff?
Character development?
Character advance?
>>
>>44289889
well weapons and gear are a big concern, character development, being tactical in combat situations is important, and when wouldn't rule of cool factor into some dumb shit I made up at 3 am?
>>
>>44290034
GURPS sounds like a good fit, then. Well, it would if you had an experienced GM.

GURPS can do really well on those things, but the problem with having a toolbox for making systems instead of a prebuilt system is that you have to be familiar with the toolbox and the building of systems to make anything really fun.
>>
>>44290034
>being tactical in combat situations
That basically throws out all the other points.
>>
>>44289150
GURPS is for min maxing munchkins and people who hang around children playground showing their maths.

BRP is 'story game system' that gives the GM the tool they need to run a game rather then a mess around with 'fate point' or any meta player narrative control bullshit.
>>
File: GURPS_Lite_(Fourth_Edition).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS_Lite_(Fourth_Edition).pdf
1 B, 486x500
GURPS at its core is a simple mechanic, which can be expanded in countless ways. GURPS lite showcases the system in 40 pages, but can be expanded in countless ways.

BRP is a system that I enjoy, but eventually I get bored with it.
>>
I'd suggest Savage Worlds if you haven't heard of it. Decent system. Crunch-light enough to not get bogged down but with solid rules
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.