[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most modern fantasy is heavily influenced by European folklore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: Myfoothurts.jpg (91 KB, 610x423) Image search: [Google]
Myfoothurts.jpg
91 KB, 610x423
Most modern fantasy is heavily influenced by European folklore and mythology. What are some aspects of Euro folklore and mythology that still don't appear in many games?
>>
>>44282288
All the rape.
>>
>>44282288
All the rape, the torture, the genociding.
>>
>>44282288
invisible flying wyrms of disease that infect you by shooting tiny plague arrows at you.
>>
File: rape.jpg (131 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
rape.jpg
131 KB, 600x399
>>44282317
>>44282322
There's actually still a lot of the rape where I am.
>>
>>44282350
Saskatchewan?
>>
>>44282288
Leshy.
plague dogs
czernobog
pneuma magic
>>
File: knighting.jpg (78 KB, 404x600) Image search: [Google]
knighting.jpg
78 KB, 404x600
>>44282288
Knights Errant don't happen that much any more. The white knight visual archetype only shows up now in morally-compromised paladins wholly dedicated to the local fantasy church instead of saving princesses from dragons. Your fantasy heroes in games are more likely to be more versatile and realized mercenaries or rogues these days.
>>
>>44282288

But that's just a kobold on the right.
>>
>>44282439
That`s a Cynocefal, isn't the same as a Japanese Kobold (Than for some reason has a dog face) while the Germanic one is a gnome with a penchant for helping helpless miners than was the classic kobold.
Also in lots of games superstition, the Church, the moral moras etc aren`t very present.
>>
>>44282478
How do those miners get so helpless in the first place huh

huh
>>
>>44282288
The lack of brown people.
>>
>>44282661
>lack of brown people in medieval europe
>modern stormfags believe this
>laughingmoors.jpg
>>
>>44282682
That depends of what do you consider a moor. Black Americans tend to equal them with Blacks but they were mostly native Iberians in the paeninsula with some Berber tribesmen or mercs and lots of Slav warriors. The Almoravits used Black Sahel slave warriors, normally they fought in chains too, the moor thinked they fought better that way.
>>
File: Lg_Thrones_Angels.jpg (224 KB, 693x800) Image search: [Google]
Lg_Thrones_Angels.jpg
224 KB, 693x800
>>44282288
Its heavily influenced by WESTERN European , and most of that is taken after being deigested by Tolkien - Elfs are longeared aristocrat fagots instaed of otherwordly creatures of the deepest darkest forests, Dwarfs are scotish alcoholics instead of wise enigmatic underwold creatures, Angels are guys with wings instead of pic related etc. also WOODWOSE
>>
Krampus.
>>
>>44282347
sky jellyfish?

>>44285500
I think it's pretty clear that Northern Germanics had the best religion for fantasy. Trolls, fairies, dwarves, and elves, all done *properly*. But, since they actually believed in these things, and they fought to get into Valhalla, the Norse pretty much lived D&D.
>>
>>44282350
Drink that rape seed, you dirty slut.
>>
>>44285585
>I think it's pretty clear that Northern Germanics had the best religion for fantasy
Woah, no way. That's crazy talk dude. How can you possibly pretend that's anything other than a subjective opinion?
>>
>>44282288
I'd say chivalry, because most games I'm aware of don't go into the "important military figures get to rape peasant wives and fool around with the daughters of lesser nobles until they've knocked them up after which they dump then" part of why chivalry exists as an ideal of better conduct.
>>
>>44285585
You could say the same about ancient Greeks, Celts or Slavs
>>
>>44285500
Have you even read Tolkien?
>>
>>44282288
Shield Maidens
>>
>>44285585
We don't really know much about how important Valhalla and the afterlife was to the Norse. The main reason they were out fighting and raiding is because they were poor motherfuckers from a decentralized society in a climate not well-suited for agriculture.
>>
>>44285666
yes and he overcrowded the world with things cerature should be feared, rarely seen and never understood
>>
>>44285666
Obviously not.
>>
>>44282288
like 99% of it, european folklore most of the time was very grimdark, most of it that you see was made pg-13
>>
>>44285585
Yeah, their homelands are shit.

>>44285601
I mean, you realize Tolkein based most of his ideas for modern fantasy off Medieval ideas, and British ideas at the time were pretty much influenced by Norse paganism (in that off the top of your head, if you're English or American you probably grew up hearing stories about trolls, elves, went to Beowulf for school plays. I know I did.
>>
>>44285728
he made concepts symbolising the fear of the unknown ,of something that humans could not understand and made them into racial stereotypes
>>
File: 1405579265706.png (17 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1405579265706.png
17 KB, 625x626
>>44285835
>>
>>44285585
most european myths had thouse anon
>>
>>44285788
I mostly grew up on Scottish and Irish folk tales. I read LotR and the Hobbit when I was a kid, but I preferred Abhorsen in terms of fantasy. And of course TOAFK is the GOAT in terms of British children's fantasy.
>>
File: 02.jpg (72 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
72 KB, 453x604
>>44282288
Everything directly involving penises.
And vaginas.
And just fucking in general really gets glossed over. From societies who had custard puddings named Whore's Farts.
It's one hell of a lot of Bowdlerization going on.
>>
>>44286146
This. The middle ages were really fucking lewd.
>>
>>44285899
Tolkien made his WWI experiences into a fantasy war epic and various races of the middle earth are thinly disquised stereotypes- dwarfs are jews, elfs are aristocrats, hobbits are farmers etc.

this invalidates and simplifies the core of these concepts -creatures that symbolize the fears of medieval people, the cruelty of world where you have to outsmart the mountains (the dwarfs) with your engineering when you try to take their treasures of ore and coal with your shovels and pickaxes
>>
>>44282288
There are alot of european mythology still unused. In example from northern europe only Viking/Norwegian mythology is used and stuff like Finnish mythology is largely unused except by Tolkien in very small amount.

Same goes for some eastern european mythology and some small western european stuff.
>>
>>44286375
You have obviously never read Tolkien. Do yourself a favour and stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>44282288
Most greco-roman folklore is completely ignored by european writers (ironically the japs who are much more distant are much more likely to use it), southern european and balkan folklore basically is not a thing at all in modern fantasy, and you could say the same for slavic mythology in general until based Sapkowski and his horde of admirers.
>>
>>44282288
Killing the Muslim invaders
>>
>>44282632
They only had flames for light. In a situation where methane gas is a problem
>>
>>44285500
As a Mormon I disagree with your opinion on angels
>>
>>44286146
>Try to be historically accurate on this in a game
>Get accused of magical realm
>that damn feel
>>
>>44286709
ok I get it - you probably don't see Aslan as Jesus metaphor in Lewis works
>>
>>44286865
>Try to be historically accurate in a game
>everyone disbelieves any provable historical fact I bring to them because apparently a shit ass movie is more reliable than actual history books
I don't even bother anymore.
>>
>>44282357

That's not nearly flat enough to be (most of) Saskatchewan. There's also no sign of a straight road filled with potholes so I'm certain that's somewhere else.
>>
>>44285788

Tolkein was a philologist and based his stuff on Anglo-Saxon England (like the Rohan poem cribbed directly from The Wanderer) and Norse stuff. While technically medieval, what most people think of as "medieval" is post-Norman conquest and thus post-Anglo-Saxon and post-Viking. For the vast majority of the medieval period the Church would kill you for believing the shit Tolkein put in.
>>
>>44282661
Hindu myths derive from the same Indo-European mythology that Greek, Norse, and Latin myths come from (Indra, Thor, Zeus, and Jupiter all derive from the same sky god).

And yes, I know I'm responding seriously to bait.
>>
>>44282777
The Moors were Arabs who had ancestry in North Africa. Not blacks. In Moor-controlled areas, if anything, blacks would have been slaves of the Moors.

As for them living in Europe, they lived only in Iberia and maybe Sardinia. They didn't live around Europe in a sort of evenly distributed fashion, being Muslims in strongly Christian Europe.
>>
>>44287104
It's Scotland.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.