[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the captain of the guard is a commoner who has risen to his
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12
File: Lanselot.jpg (86 KB, 700x1100) Image search: [Google]
Lanselot.jpg
86 KB, 700x1100
>the captain of the guard is a commoner who has risen to his position through skill of arms
>he refuses to allow your party an audience with the king as you are not of noble rank
>>
>>44282141
So? The nigga is just doing his job. The fact that he's common-born doesn't play into it.
>>
The Captain of the Guard doesn't make policy, the King does.
>>
>>44282141
Kill him, take his armor/uniform and impersonate him and get your party an audience. Then lay out his murdered body in a carefully staged scene that will implicate an enemy or faction opposing your party. Fucking easy.
>>
>murder hobos with PC levels
>audience with the king

You see? Not all fighters have INT as their dump stat
>>
>>44282186
>Kill him
This is probably the hard part.
>>
>>44282206
Probably. Highly depends on who you plan to implicate. Poison might be a good way to go. Make it look like some noble who has been causing trouble for you poisoned the guard captain because reasons.
>>
>>44282154
>>44282162
>agreeing with the inherent hypocrisy of feudal society
>>
>>44282247
You don't know what hypocrisy means, do you?
>>
>>44282141
How do our characters know the first part? Unless it's commonly known or he just told us. In which case, why does it matter? Right now he's just being a dick to, well, be a dick. There's no reason behind it except the GM going "fuck you, you're not allowed".

OP you are bad and you should feel bad.
>>
It's a job for the Bard. This just turned into A Knight's Tale.
>>
>>44282262
That's a pretty hypocritical thing for you to say.
>>
>>44282285
>Unless it's commonly known
Why wouldn't it be? That's a pretty prestigious position. Your games sound awful if you resent an NPC having complexity in a way that makes anything difficult for the PCs. And your first instinct, rather than think about how to manage it, is to throw your toys out the pram?

What games do you even play?
>>
>>44282247
>>44282262
>Replying to the inherent strawman of feudal society
>>
>>44282320
Hey man, I'm just saying that his big sweeping whateverthefuck backstory really doesn't matter when we're probably only gonna talk to this shitlord once.
>NPC: No, you can't see the king. Oh by the way, here's my life story and--
>Party: Fuck you buddy, we out.
And then everybody kills some orcs or something.
>>
We'll be taking our trade agreement and leaving then
>>
>>44282141
Yes? And?
>>
Wait, does my character know the COTG is of common birth?

Because if they do, I'm totes throwing that fact in his face. If he doesn't acknowledge his hypocrisy, I'm challenging him to a duel.
>>
File: signet ring.jpg (96 KB, 976x718) Image search: [Google]
signet ring.jpg
96 KB, 976x718
>>44282141
Here's my signet ring, now fuck off to whatever shithole village you crawled out of.
>>
Can someone explain to me how is that dude doing anything even resembling hypocrisy?
>>
>>44282548
>Can someone strawman to me how is that strawman doing anything even strawmaning strawmanning?
>>
File: 135468323457.png (167 KB, 393x349) Image search: [Google]
135468323457.png
167 KB, 393x349
>>44282141
I guess you're going to explain the king why his people are being eaten by demons yes?

Okay, bye.
>>
>>44282141
>the door of the royal chambers is a common banded oak who has risen to his position through sturdiness
>he refuses to allow your party an audience with the king as you are not of noble rank and also he is locked
>>
>>44282409
It's called a reputation brosef

And if one line of "This dude was a badass so they let him in" is a big sweeping backstory to you then uh, you've probably stopped reading this already.
>>
>>44282141
But I'm a noble, you flaming faggot.
>>
>>44282247
Not worth the effort to disagree with it.

We have other ways to get what we need.
>>
>>44282141
This would peeve my bard on so many levels, as she hates nobles with one extraordinary exception, so this basically comes off as class betrayal despite the reasoning behind it (can't guarentee manners or important business from a commoner).
She might try to seduce him despite this if he's handsome enough , having read too many stories including female vigilantes falling in love with the captain of the guard/authority figure who means well.
>>
File: berserk-griffin-hd-wallpapers.jpg (597 KB, 1440x1649) Image search: [Google]
berserk-griffin-hd-wallpapers.jpg
597 KB, 1440x1649
>>44282141
I rise to the rank of noble
>>
>>44282141
>Be captain of the kings guard
>A street kid, a dwarf, some monk and that idiot paladin want to see the king
>The kid seems to be in charge
What do?
>>
>>44282141
Well, if he's competent enough, we relay the information about undead rising in south to him.
>>
File: paladin-1.jpg (62 KB, 760x606) Image search: [Google]
paladin-1.jpg
62 KB, 760x606
>"Step aside, good sir. My mission comes from the Arch-Paladin himself and I nor my companions will not be stopped by bureaucratic squabbling. This is bigger than you or your king."
>>
>>44283012
Fuck that guy
>>
>>44283321
>Just noticed the double negative

Just smite me down now, Heironeous. I have failed you.
>>
>>44283329
did nothing wrong
>>
>>44283391
He did everything wrong and will only be redeemed after fellating a certain edged iron table.
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>44282596
Underrated comment
>>
>>44283441
the needs of the many etc.
>>
>>44282141
Rules are rules
>>
>>44282331
No true feudal society has these problems! They were just pretending to be a feudal society!
>>
>>44282141
Yeah a'ight, I was just asking anyway.
>>
>>44282141
This bothers me as I tend to prefer to do things the legal way, and it's really hard to just become a noble.

His backstory implies that if I manage to prove myself a worthy opponent, he might let me through. But I wouldn't want to get the guard after me if it turns out I'm wrong.

So great, now I can't go and meet the king.
>>
>>44282603
Dude, you alright? Your post just kinda cut off midway.
>>
File: Halfling.jpg (82 KB, 290x262) Image search: [Google]
Halfling.jpg
82 KB, 290x262
>"You are ever loyal to your king, no? What if your king wants to meet us? We better go and ask him!"
>>
>>44282504
That's a seal / stamp. You can't actually wear that.
>>
>>44282141
He got his position because he does his job well, and his job includes not letting any random plebeian see the king.
>>
File: ash.jpg (226 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
ash.jpg
226 KB, 1024x1024
>>44282141
>ask him to deliver a message to the king
>"fight the zombies yourself, jackass"
>>
>>44282141
Why do I need the King. I can do everything myself and it's not like anyone is strong enough to stop me
>>
>>44282141

Does he have class levels? No? Does his king have enough class levels to do anything about you? No? Then chop off his legs, kill his guardsmen, shit on him, set him on fire, then walk into the throne room LIKE A BOSS and tell the King that he can handle his own shit. People who have class levels have the kind of power that matters and thus matter more than everyone else, crown or not, simple as that, and your time isn't to be wasted.
>>
>>44283924
If you are playing D&D, anyone with "Strength or arms" probably has levels, and quite possibly more than you.
>>
>>44284129
>anyone with "Strength or arms" probably has levels
>anyone with "Strength or arms"
> "Strength or arms"
>strength
>or arms

How to spot the non player characters: look for the armless.
>>
I'd have one of my female companions distract him while I sneak up and slice his fucking head off
>>
>>44284415
What if he only has one arm?
>>
>>44282141
>medieval setting
>players butthurt that npcs observe social norms appropiate to that time frame
>>
>Have Cha 26
>Have 19 ranks in Diplomacy

"Get on your knees and suck my dick"

>guard captain gobbles cock
>>
>>44287377
Why do bad players think diplomacy works like mind control?
>>
>>44282162
Agreed.
>>
>>44287395

Same reason bad players think that rolling a Nat 20 is an automatic succeed on a skill check.

They didn't actually read the fucking books.
>>
>>44287395

Because they are bad
>>
File: 1444286787730.jpg (131 KB, 321x403) Image search: [Google]
1444286787730.jpg
131 KB, 321x403
>>44282247
4 PCs dislike an entire countries system of governance
Population seems to not mind
Feudalistic society may be prosperous and what the majority of the population actually wishes to be governed by because of the innate boon to security over liberty
>Weez gona murder the guards and over thro the king cuz us 4 murder hobos dun like dis country and kno better than the entire noble and technocrat population heuhheuheu
>>
>>44287395
The same reason why "Diplomacy" shouldn't be a skill in the first place. Interactions ought to be role played.
>>
>>44287395
Why do bad DMs think players refuse to play social classes when the gm can over rule it whenever he wants?
>>
>>44287574
>I should literally be able to make a knight of established rank with a sworn duty suck me off just by saying so because I want him to
It's not the knight you're really asking to blow you in this situation, anon; it's the entire group.
>>
>>44287615
>I should literally be able to make a knight of established rank with a sworn duty suck me off just by saying so because I want him to

It's fine if a lv1 wizard does it.

but it's outrageous that a lv16+ pc with CHA of 26 who's dumped 16 levels of skill ranks into the appropriate skill does it.
>>
>>44287615
It's fine if a lv1 wizard (with Charm Person) does it
>>
>>44287717
>>44287757
Charm Person only makes the person you're charming think you're a friend. Friends don't suck friend's dicks, and even a good friend might not be convinced to let you speak to the king if he holds duty highly enough. Yes, magic is bending the rules of reality, but it can't break them if you're only level 1.

Charisma and skill at diplomacy can only get you so far, because you're trying to convince someone with an argument that your point of view is the right one. Take away any numbers, and do you really think anyone would be able to go up to a person, tell them to suck them off, and it would work outside of a hentai? I don't know how else to say it aside from repeating it - no matter how handsome or charismatic you are, and how convincing your arguments are, if the guy doesn't want to choke on a chicken, he won't.
>>
>>44287717
>>44287757
Charm person won't make him suck you off or open the doors in and of itself, you'd still have to convince him. He could also just resist the spell and may have items to help with that given his position. Flinging mind control spells at people is probably a crime too.
>>
>>44287717
>>44287757
>samefagging
>still not understanding the rules even then
>>
>>44282141
Ask him if there are any circumstances which may allow us to talk to him, or ask for an audience. If whatever we have is important enough it could still be possible.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>44282141
Roll diplomacy.

"Come on man, I said please."
>>
>>44282141
>Bard or rogue option
Disguise / pretend to be a noble

>Wizard option
Charm him into thinking I'm a noble

>Paladin / Cleric option
Petition noble for favor, petition clergy to help out, or try to convince him of our cause

>Barbarian
Duel him.
>>
>>44282141
Pitch a fit until they get someone higher than him.I may not be a noble, but I know how to act like one.
>>
>>44282141
I get it. I don't like it, but I get. Dude probably caught tons of shit for his common birth when he first got the position and now he's overcompensating. It's a thing that happens.
>>
>>44282141
For fuck sake, fine. Future of the kingdom might be at stake, but fine. I'll wait until his majesty is done taking a dump.
>>
>44282596
>the door of the royal chambers is a common banded oak who has risen to his position through sturdiness
>he refuses to allow your party an audience with the king as you are not of noble rank and also he is locked

>In this setting, nonliving things gain XP. That castle you're in? A thousand years ago, that was a wood cottage.

>This door turned away hundreds of burglars in a humble city house portal, and has ascended to become an adamantium-bound oak door in a king's castle.
>>
>>44282141
Burn the kingdom to the ground.
>>
>>44282141
But I *am* a nobleman, you guano-smelling peon! Now let me through, or I will have the skin flayed from our buttocks and made into a boot. Then I will wear that boot and have you kiss it, so you can kiss my boot and kiss your own ass at the same time!
>>
>>44282596
Hah, that got a chuckle out of me.
>>
I thank him for his time and give him a small crystal sphere, saying its a custom or something (12 ranks in bluff). As soon as he takes it I say the command word and the captain of the guard has to succeed a DC34 will save or become completely bound to my will for the next 1d4 hours.
>>
>>44289778
>the king's throne was once a simple rickety chair
>the guard's armor was once rusted pig iron
>>
>>44290326
>Weaponsmiths are mid-level warriors who beat on low-level monsters with sticks and stones until they level up to functional weapons.

>Carpenters deliberately fail to break and lockpick shitty furniture.
>>
File: vibrating villager.gif (194 KB, 477x456) Image search: [Google]
vibrating villager.gif
194 KB, 477x456
>>44282141
>non-nobles becoming adventurers instead of tilling soil and harvesting turnips
>>
>>44283247
>the paladin and monk are legally allowed to represent their orders
>the dwarf is expected to relay his appeal through the ambassador
>the "street kid" can fuck off straight to his handler

>it's as if those exact four fuckers haven't tried this four times already
>fuck Majesty, just grant the paladin a parcel already
>>
>>44285472
High level in an NPC class, duh.
>>
>>44282247
The feudal system makes perfect sense in light of pre-industrial, agricultural societies?

Besides, its not like we've escaped hierarchies and oligarchs
>>
>>44287377
I didn't know Quentin Tarantino played D&D
>>
>>44282141
>you are not of noble rank
Either he doesn't know that my character IS of noble blood and station, or he's trying to say that foreign nobility doesn't count. But I'm not unreasonable. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and write it off as an honest mistake rather than turn it into a diplomatic incident. But I do expect him to stand aside, apologize, and keep his mouth shut in my presence from that point onward.
>>
>>44282596
ses
>>
>>44287896
>Friends don't suck friend's dicks
They don't? Ah man!
>>
>>44287514
I brought this up in a thread once. I explained that if my player plays out part of the interaction they can forgo the roll altogether or gain bonuses to the roll. If they just roll the dice and say "I'm rolling diplomacy for this" I tend to apply penalties because the player is basically letting the skill role play for them.

I was told I was an idiot of the fridge lifting variety. As in if I run diplomacy like that I should have whoever plays a fighter lift fridges instead of roll strength checks.

Why is it so wrong to want to role play in a role playing game?
>>
File: 1444932982354.png (271 KB, 490x513) Image search: [Google]
1444932982354.png
271 KB, 490x513
>>44282247
Don't lose your head over it, Robespierre.
>>
why does every adventurer automatically assume he has earned an audience with the king?
dude's probably pretty busy and has several people who's entire job consists of speaking with the likes of you he trusts well enough to let them speak with his authority
>>
>>44282141
>Oh look a situation thread on /tg/
>Is there several replies about the violent murder oh whoever's been mentioned?
>There is? What a shock
Really /tg/ you have a problem.

>>44282247
Oh bugger off Marx and take your class warfare narrative with you.
>>
>>44290566
Sorry man, unless he's your boyfriend.
>>
>>44290950
I dunno, something about having PC levels somehow making them the gods of the setting, or something.

Then again, doesn't any king worth his salt have at least some PC class levels?

That, and a staggering lack of creativity in how to handle obstacles put in their path.
>>
>>44290816
I'm pretty split on the issue myself. I do want to reward players for roleplaying, but making social stats rely on social skills can really break things. I had a DM once who did all social stuff through roleplaying and through his runs, at least two people have taken advantage of the situation to not bother at all with social scores and just roleplay their way through the encounters.

Basically, it is a double standard to make it easier for someone to succeed at social skills because as a person they're better at when you wouldn't apply the same bonus in regards to someone's personal ability to pick locks or do acrobatics. It creates an unfair game among the players, and it's easily abuseable by those who would take advantage of it.

When I DM, I'll usually just ask the player how they're going about their diplomacy and give them bonuses as long as they list point form the topics they're trying to hit on and the method they're working with. If they roleplay it through entirely then even better, but I don't want to give them bonuses for being good speakers. I keep it in line with how you'll get acrobatic bonuses for finding a good position first or combat bonuses for abusing the opponent's position.
>>
>>44291619
I just ask my players to explain the content of their speech, the skill check just represent the accuracy of the choice of words and the way they say it.
>>
>>44291619
I mainly give players bonuses for good roleplay and logical thinking. But if they're playing an autistic character that has zero social skills they're going to be pretty much ignored in character.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.