[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is literally the most barebones system out there? and what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: Ivan_the_Terrible_and_Harsey.jpg (766 KB, 2044x1300) Image search: [Google]
Ivan_the_Terrible_and_Harsey.jpg
766 KB, 2044x1300
what is literally the most barebones system out there?

and what's literally the most complex chemical-engineering degree level difficulty system out there?
>>
>>44281094
>what is literally the most barebones system out there?
Probably some homebrew or these quickstart games with 5 stats and no skills. I've seen games go on with no rolls or stats at all, just people keeping track of what they're good at and what they own.

>and wha
>>
>>44281094
GURPS Lite
GURPS
>>
>>44281094

Playing Make Believe with friends.
>>
>>44281094
Fate or GURPS lite

GURPS (all books) or Rolemaster
>>
>>44281094
>barebones
Lasers and Feelings, if you don't count free-form.
>autism-mode
FATAL. I don't think it counts, though, as the dev and virt are the only ones to even pretend to like it.
>>
Flip a coin
+
Phoenix Command

Gurps is autistic, but not chemical engineering degree level anything. Simple systems are highly specialized, and there are many.
>>
>>44281094
>Barebones system
Heads or Tails.
Honorable mention to Rock Paper Scissors.
>>
>>44281094
>troll babe
>varg's fuck all system or whatever it was called
>>
>>44281094
>what is literally the most barebones system out there?
Either Risus or Awesomesauce.

>what's literally the most complex chemical-engineering degree level difficulty system out there?
Dunno. Maybe GURPS 3E?
Ten there's that homebrew of different rules that never actually got made into an rpg, I forget what it's called...
>>
>>44281094
Barebones: Risus
Complex: Phoenix Command
>>
>>44281120
>>44281120
>>44281145
>>44281299

GURPS is like Risus compared to Phoenix Command. Phoenix Command goes so high up that you actually need a degree in physics in order to understand its rules.
>>
>>44282334
Can you give an example? I'm curious
>>
>>44282334
go on
>>
>>44282361
Phoenix Command had extremely detailed rules in an attempt to realistically simulate combat. The game utilizedlookup tableswhich resolve injuries to specific digits, organs, and bones, and simulates the physics of different attacks, such as bullets with different velocities.
>>
>>44283568
Fuck, this sounds like DF. Sounds fuckin' interesting.
>>
>>44282997
>>44283723

"For example, let's say I have an MP5 submachinegun.
Let's say I'm an average soldier. My target is average too, that means 10 for his stats. He's wearing standard body armor. The range is 30 yards. He appears, moving at a rate of 4 yards a second, running, with no cover (for simplicity). He is firing from a standing position, from a proper firing stance. Let's say it's mid-day, for simplicity.

I aim for 2 seconds and fire a burst of 7 rounds. I'll not use time of flight of the bullet, because I haven't learned how yet.

My odds of putting the burst in the correct location are at 97%. I roll a 37.
The burst is at the correct elevation, so I look up my minimum arc.
It is .7, so the burst has spread over 1.4 yards. My rate of fire is *7, so I look up on another table the chance of hitting with a ROF of *7 and a MA of .7.

The full-page table says I hit with 1 round.

Now roll for the hit location. I roll a 292 and look up on the Side Hit table ( I hit him in the side ) and the bullet passes through the man's liver and stomach.

Now I look up on one of the 64+ damage tables ( yes, there's a specific table for a side hit to the hip socket ) and find the one for a side hit to the stomach-liver.

It turns out to be table S15 ( Lower Chest - Stomach - Liver ) and I look up my weapon's damage and penetration for the specific range. The table is a 10x26 table.

That's right, 260 numbers, only for this specific angle and location.

My weapon's damage at 30 yards is 3, and it's penetration is 2.3. This is for FMJ ammo.

My weapon does 1200 Physical Damage, according to the table.

The man fails his knockout roll with only a 2% chance of remaining in the fight. He recieves no medical aid and dies after 2 minutes 58 seconds."

GURPS ain't got shit on Phoenix Command.
>>
>>44284345
Goddamn this sounds incredibly autistic and nedlessy complicated.
I like it.
>>
>>44284345
What this guy >>44284412 said.

This sounds amazing.
>>
>>44281094
Dice, nigga.
Let's not forget "what's the most cluttered system", which I imagine is FATAL.
>>
>>44284628
Did you not just read the fiendish lovechild of satan and autism personified detailed above that is Phoenix Command? It probably has a specific table for multiple kinds of damage all relating to the anus, therefore improving on FATAL's famous 'anal circumference' system.
>>
>>44285409
Complexity is one thing, clutter another.
>>
>>44284345
>He appears, moving at a rate of 4 yards a second, running, with no cover (for simplicity). He is firing from a standing position, from a proper firing stance.

>moving at a rate of 4 yards a second, running
>firing... from a proper firing stance.
No, he's definitely not.
>>
>>44281094
Most minimalist game I have actually played.
>>
>>44281094
Question one: Rock Paper Scissors.
Question two: Reality.
>>
>>44281094
The Fighting Fantasy gamebook system is barebones as fuck.

Roll one die and add 6 to it for Skill.

Roll two dice and add 12 to it for Stamina.

Roll one die and add 6 to it for Luck.

Combat is rolling two dice and adding that to your Skill, then doing the same for the enemy. Whoever has the higher number does 2 damage. Repeat until one of you is dead.
Can be made 3 by sacrificing a point of Luck.
Damage done to you can be reduced by 1 by testing your luck - roll two dice, lower and equal to your Luck means you passed, higher, you lost.

You can test your luck for avoiding random traps.

That's literally it.
>>
File: All Outta Bubblegum.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
All Outta Bubblegum.pdf
1 B, 486x500
All Outta Bubblegum is probably the most simple game out there with actual mechanics.

Either that or the post-apoc one where you burn a match every time you do something. Or Dread, where you just play Jenga.
>>
>>44281094
Well, it's a wargame and not a RPG, but the glory that is Star Fleet Battles must be mentioned. This is a game for literal rules lawyers, as in it was designed partially by a lawyer, and it shows.
>>
>come up with character design
>no stats, no nothing. Just a paragraph of who they are, what they want, and their skills
>whenever you want to do something, roll a d20
1-5: fail
6-10: fail, but...
11-15: succeed, but...
16-20: succeed

I then give out bonuses and negatives as needed. I've used this system countless times to run games for the kids at the local PCYC when I volunteer.
>>
File: D02 Know No Limit.jpg (298 KB, 768x994) Image search: [Google]
D02 Know No Limit.jpg
298 KB, 768x994
>>44281094
Barebones: pic related
Complex: probably >>44284345
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.