[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: i have no idea.jpg (12 KB, 272x186) Image search: [Google]
i have no idea.jpg
12 KB, 272x186
Doing my first D&D campaign as a DM any tips you can give for my first time?
>>
>>44276654
Which edition?
>>
I decided to go with 5th simply because its the one that all of my players have at the very least tried
>>
>>44276710
You're off to a good start.
>>
Anything else?
>>
File: how to dm.jpg (1 MB, 1235x2892) Image search: [Google]
how to dm.jpg
1 MB, 1235x2892
plans rarely if ever survive contact in the field.
rulings not rules
be fair be consistent
be descriptive (that goes for everyone at the table! Be more than a dice roll!)
Its not railroading if they don't notice
try to incorporate their backstory stuff into the story if you can.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP
have fun.
>>
I actually am planning to incorporate a personal sidequest to each of their characters based on their backstorys
>>
>>44276860
I hope their backstories don't suck then
>>
>>44276860
I tried to do this before. It didn't work. It's probably better not to run it as a "sidequest", but figure out a way to incorporate an aspect of their backstories into the main quest. Something that would give the PC a larger stake in what they're trying to accomplish.
>>
Well the story is about going to a bunch of different regions in an attempt to band them together against a higher power (I have plans incase they screw everything up) And everyones character is from one of the different regions, so it is incorporated that way as well.
>>
And also most of their backstories are really good. (I would like to note this is an original world.)
1. We have a dwarf fighter who refused to go along with his clans traditions and left his clan to become a knight.
2. A human bard looking to prove the capabilities of his region made up of mostly artists to be more than just a joke
3. A Elven Mage who is conflicted about his search for knowledge and elven ideals.
4. And my personal favorite, A half elf cleric (Half elves are considered abominations in the world I wrote) who was sent to the religious academy soon after birth when he was found with a birthmark signifying him as on of the many of the gods chosen. (A half elf has never been found branded before.)
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.