[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I play D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Image1.png (474 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
474 KB, 1920x1080
A couple of friends and I wanted to play D&D, but we don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
Why do you want to play?
What previews experience do you have with tabletop rpgs?
>>
When you start playing for fun and someone asks to play a elf that looks like a prepubescent child, say yes since they probably just think it's hilarious. Last time I allowed it in a game it was true and there was no magic realming about it.
>>
Go find a free DnD PDF

Follow the rules but not too closely.

Get put before you become a rules lawyer.
>>
>>44276109

A. It sounds like an interesting experience to do with friends.
B. I have never played a tabletop RPG in my life.
>>
>>44275741
Google the 5e D&D player manual pdf and read through it first. Also get the DM guide pdf and read through that.
After you do that help your friends make characters.
Best case scenario you find someone who DMs games and ask if they would be willing to dm a game for a new players group.
>>
>>44275741
Do you mean that you want to play D&D specifically, or do you just want to play a pen and paper roleplaying game?

If it's the former I suggest a retroclone like Barbarians of Lemuria or Microlite 74

If it's the latter then that's the equivalent of calling all videogame titles ever made Mario. Just ask for a setting you want to play in and we can give you a system for it.
>>
>>44276430
>>44276282
Unless these two are talking about the 5e basic players guide and DM guide these two options are probably illegal unless you find the pdfs on Wizard's of The Coast's official site. Just a heads up.
>>
>>44276448
I meant Dungeons and Dragons specifically.
>>
>>44276339

The Wizards of The Coast website has free basic rules for fifth edition.

Located here http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Fifth Edition is pretty new player friendly and you might be able to find a game sponsored by WoTC at a game store near you.

http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/encounters
>>
>This thread again

HURR LETS SPOONFEED PEOPLE WHO DON"T GOOGLE CUZ WE GOTTA BE A GOOD LITTLE HUGBOX

Every day. Every single day. What the fuck people.
>>
>>44276574

Nigga I will do literally ANYTHING to slightly decrease my chances of playing with Sweaty McTrenchcoat and the BO Brigade more often than I have to.
>>
>>44276574
There are too few people in this hobby as it is. Why not just make the barrier to entry easier, it's not like it's not already filled with shitty people anyways.
>>
You'll probably outgrow the 5e starter kit relatively quickly but, fuck it it's 12 bucks.
>>
>>44275741
Roll up some characters, roll some dice and have fun. Whatever comes to mind. Your imagination is the limit.
>>
>>44276615
If someone is too inbred, lazy, or just straight up retarded such that when they know literally nothing about a subject, their first instinct is 'lol imma make a thread about it on /tg/" instead of just fucking googling it, that means THEY ARE THE PEOPLE YOU'RE TRYING TO NOT PLAY WITH.

>>44276618
The "barrier to entry" is literally Google. You fucking type "How do I play D&D?" into google like a normal human being, and you're done.

But nah. You guys would suck dick just to make sure new people are welcome into the hugbox.
>>
>>44276675

>>>/a/
>>
>>44276675
OP was probably asking for perspective which Google can't give you. The most popular edition is 3rd edition so the top results will probably be for that, but that doesn't mean you should ever step foot near it if you're a new player. Perspective lets new players know whether or not they're getting into some stupid bullshit.
>>
File: just stop.png (32 KB, 240x191) Image search: [Google]
just stop.png
32 KB, 240x191
>>44276675
>hugbox
Youkeepusingthatword.jpg
>>
>>44276716
>The most popular edition is 3rd edition so the top results will probably be for that

The first result for "how do i play D&D" in Google is literally WotC's page called "Getting Started"

The result immediately below that is "How to play D&D part 1" on Youtube talking about 5E.

Fuck you.
>>
>>44275741
You might as well play 5e--the version currently in publication.

Personally, I'll never switch from 2e AD&D. But there's something to be said for getting into 5e right now, as it has only just-started its run. You'll be learning the game and the settings alongside everyone else. Granted: the main setting is Forgotten Realms which has been around since the 80s, but it re-invents itself with every edition, anyhow. You won't lose out by starting with the current edition, and you'll get to play it as supplements get released. And that's nice because, rather than digging through old PDFs everyone you encounter already knows, you'll be waiting for the next thing to come out along with everyone else.
>>
>>44276675

I know you're a big fan of search engines, but for tens of thousands of years the best way to find something about a subject has been TO ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS and that, believe it or not is still the best way.
>>
>>44276499
lmao everyone look at this faggot.
>>
>>44276544
Thanks for this great info! It's cool to see that Wizard's gives out the basic rules for free.
>>
>>44276675
I'm not a normal human being. My doctor had to explain how many chromosomes I have using scientific notation.
>>
>>44276795

You might want to go with the print friendly version even if you aren't planning to print it.

"Normal" version's filesize is kind of bloated.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.