[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Human Bio-Diversity: A Space Opera
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: sto_races.png (143 KB, 494x378) Image search: [Google]
sto_races.png
143 KB, 494x378
We've all experienced and have our own opinion over various space opera like settings such as Mass Effect and Star Trek, where a wide majority of the Sapient species are also Hominid in shape, stature and function (e.g. the "Rubber Wrinkle Aliens" you see people mock Star Trek for)

Most of these space opera setting exclusively rely on there being higher life on other planets, yet also always fall into humanoid structure for the purposes of having "relatable aliens" yet it seems somewhat fallacious and conflicting to have both of those assumptions.

Let's say we truly are alone in the Universe and we are the only sapient and higher intelligent species that there is:
Now, 200,000 years of human evolution over barriers such as mountain ranges and even rivers has caused massive phenotypal differences in the human genome as witnessed by today's various human races. Mountains and rivers are extremely insignificant population barriers compared to the massive chasms of empty space, gravitation differences, and time dilation.

That has me wondering, are there any settings that exist, where humanity IS all of the alien species. That various conditions of the human colonies along with inherent self-segregation of cultures caused humanity to diverge into significantly different species. It would make sense that such scenarios would cause these kinds of "Rubber Wrinkle Aliens" like you see common in these veins of Space Operas. That humanity is the common ancestor to the hominid species that make up the higher species of the universe.

There aren't many I know for sure, but hypothesizing what kinds of features humanity would develop in different environments would be an interesting discussion to have, as well as which systems would be most suited for this kind of setting. Rouge Trader seems like it could be adapted very well for this.
>>
>>44270645
House of Suns.
>>
>>44270645
It's Rubber Forehead Aliens, not Rubber Wrinkle Aliens.
>>
>>44270723
Potato Pohtahto. I got the point across regardless. I was more into Star Wars then Star Trek when I was younger, so the term was only on the tip of my tongue.
>>
>>44270645
In the progressive future of the human race there is only racemixing
>>
>>44271586
Instantaneous Teleportation would allow for this Jewry on all new levels, but one Biological Pre-Zygotic Barriers are established it'd be too late for that stint of humanity.
The only way to enforce a single blend/race of humanity at that point point would be to label them abhuman and order genocide on them, which I could unfortunately see happening.

Why is this sounding more and more like Warhammer?
>>
>>44270645
Thank you OP for for bringing up the subject I'm interested rather than just linking a buzz feed article about why science fiction hate black people as I was expecting you to.
>>
>>44271962
Yeah, I can see this thread go the way of /pol/ rather quickly, but nobody seems to have really asked the question or taken or seriously.

Most forms of posthumanism take the vein of transcending normal reproductory and genetic needs and adaptations that render the nature of evolution moot, yet it seems hasty to assume there will never be dark ages and regressions in technology for any number of reasons.
>>
Star Trek TNG introduced this premise (in one episode, the crew discovers that humans and all the forehead aliens have a common ancestor--and of course this is promptly forgotten despite being one of the most fundamental discoveries ever made in canon).

Ursula LeGuin's Hainish Cycle does it better, at least when she's not shoving political horseshit down your throat.
>>
I was goin to mention the Hainish books as well, they're great and LeGuin is a goddess. The Left Hand of Darkness in particular is a good book about a species of human-derived people radically different from baselines Homo sapiens.
>>
>>44272150
Know the name of the episode?
That's really interesting. I'm sure I can some speculation/elaboration/angry-shitposting on the topic around an old ST forum somewhere.
>>
>>44272150
Hang on, hang on, hang on.

I doubt it was actual descendancy from a common ancestor. It was probably a progenitor species manipulating evolution to produce humanoid life forms from organisms from different planets, genetically alien to one another..
>>
>>44272459
Yes but what if this progenitor species consciously did this with their own geonome as a base?

This would be essentially no different, at most just unnatural selection and intelligent design in this form of breeding breeding rather than just natural evolution
>>
>>44272436
Found it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
>>
>>44270645
>muh diversity
>>
File: RUu0oiB.png (13 KB, 313x339) Image search: [Google]
RUu0oiB.png
13 KB, 313x339
>>44273703
I'm sure you won't be amazed when I tell you that the people preaching "Diversity and Multiculturalism" are actually hypocrites that just want to commit a form of non-violent genocide, and that diversity is the exact opposite of what they wish to achieve.

Even basic fucking Intro General Biology will tell you that Segregation and Isolation are what causes an increase in diversity, with Gene Flow actually eliminating it.

If we would ever get to the point of divorcing the human race into multiple functional sapient and hominid species, we'd need to essentially isolate rather than mixing the genes of various races.
>>
>>44273825
>sapient

your gonna have problems with that m8 because... lets just say some of our races aint like that
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 180x196) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 180x196
>>44270645
Check out Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future. It's nightmare fuel as fuck some interesting stuff on human Evolution.
>>
>>44272714
Not according to the actual episode, see >>44273626
>>
>>44273825
pol please, I know you believe that humans originated from some frozen place called Thule (or is it Atlantis now?) - but most sane people these days are quite aware that humans have mixed with each other since it's existence - fucking hell - even other hominids where fair game.

Cultures naturally change form, it's the definition of culture! To expand, incorporate and explore.

Fuck sake, you've probably drunk coffee this morning, together with some Italian ham - and later this week you'll have Chinese or sushi, holy fuck maybe even potatoes or corn!

sage because I know this a) bait and b) absolutely not /tg/
>>
>>44276148
I'm not even the pol shitposter, the >muh diversity I was responding to is.

Did you even read how it was relevant to the thread or did you see something vaguely politically related and think "BAIT BAIT BAIT /POL/ /POL/ BAIT SHITPOST SHITPOST NOT /TG/"
>>
>>44271762
>Jews genociding minorities to create superior fully racemixed race
And circle is complete
>>
File: 1439396614479.jpg (55 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1439396614479.jpg
55 KB, 560x407
>>44276378
>I'm sure you won't be amazed when I tell you that the people preaching "Diversity and Multiculturalism" are actually hypocrites that just want to commit a form of non-violent genocide, and that diversity is the exact opposite of what they wish to achieve.
Whatever you say bro.
>>
>>44270645
The Feaudalism in space trope which is common for Space Opera would enforce population segregation even more as beside logistical problems of trevveling between planets there would also be political and social ramificatins of changing your allegience.
>>
File: 371.png (274 KB, 439x373) Image search: [Google]
371.png
274 KB, 439x373
>>44276378
>>
File: alltomorrows.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
alltomorrows.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44270645
take a gander at this or >>44273954 although All Tomorrows is overall better(Man After Man still has some neat stuff in it though)
>>
>>44273825
Gene flow doesn't eliminate genes. So, groups become more similar but the individuals themselves become more diverse because they are spawned from a much greater gene pool.
>>
>>44273825
This guy is right. White Genocide has to be fought against.
>>
>>44279815
True, and it doesn't go against the actual goal of "diversity and multiculturalism" which is to make sure that society accepts people and groups that are "different" from the norm, but it does go against the bizarre imaginary version which is about forcing people to be different for no reason.

This is one of those things that sounds mind-blowingly stupid when you go out of your way to interpret it as something mind-blowingly stupid, but actually makes a lot of sense if you try to make sense of it. People are just oddly willing to believe in implausible amounts of "stupidity" to explain away offensive opinions, even when the alternative makes more sense and is more obvious.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.