[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playing Cards RPGs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: playing-cards.jpg (57 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
playing-cards.jpg
57 KB, 900x600
Hello /tg/,
I was working on a personal project of mine, then I had this strange lightbulb idea of using standard playing cards (The kind used in Poker, Solitaire, and Blackjack) in an RPG game system.

I was wondering if anybody knew of perfect examples of a game system that uses this?
>>
The All Flesh Must Be Eaten guidebook contains instructions for using playing cards as an alternative to dice.
>>
>>44269376
>The All Flesh Must Be Eaten
I don't even need to look it up to know it's a zombie game. XD Thank you.
>>
>>44269404
It's actually an indie title about the vegan cause.
>>
The fundamental difference between cards and dice is that every card draw affects the probability of future card draws. In what systems is this a desirable thing?
>>
>>44269314
Savage Worlds uses cards for initiative.
>>
>>44269376
Piggybacking this annon to say that based Witchcraft also has this, same system.
>>
>>44269314
I've ben littering /tg/ lately with posts about my homebrew that uses cards.
It's a four atribute roll under system where instead of rolling a dice like i warhammer you draw a card.
Atributes vary from 1 to 13 points, and each has a suite.
Hearts is a mix of CON and STR
Spades is DEX without skillmonkeyry, but with the same iportance to combat as WS in WFRP
Clubs is INT and WIS
and Diamonds is CHA and skillmonkeyry.
It's pretty easy making a card drawing system be just like a d12 system with a glorified criticl for the king, or you can make king into a random table.
Working with the effects of ech suite are also fun. I make it so that when you're rolling a test and draw a card of the same suite of the atribute you're using you get a bonus, or maybe something good happens, despite the outome.
>>
>>44269314
maifaux uses them. As does thought the breach the rpg. Maybe the most well-known example on /tg/.

This quite a few in the inndies is which uses is them with various degrees of affectiveness. It's especially popular with LARPs like vampire the masquerade as They are more portable then dice.
>>
>>44269404
>XD
Leave
>>
>>44269830
Any system where hitting a string of bad luck means you should be due for some good luck, or vice versa. It might work well in a narrative game, where creating a story is more important than true randomization.
>>
>>44273648
Forget narrtive. No one wants to have a bad of 1s killing them in combat or game even one shot their opponent with a string of 'lucky' 20s when they looking forward to a intense battle
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.