[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
[[ Broken Sky Online Quest - Session 16 ]]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: 1427157837862.jpg (75 KB, 738x1200) Image search: [Google]
1427157837862.jpg
75 KB, 738x1200
> [[ Broken Sky Online ]]
> [[ Previous Threads ]]
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Broken%20Sky
> [[ Unique Identifier: Ascheritte ]]
http://pastebin.com/pZv3XUPQ
> [[ Twitter ]]
https://twitter.com/BrokenSkyOnline
> [[ Ask Page ]]
http://ask.fm/Sylvetican

> [[ BROKEN SKY ONLINE ]]

> [[ Conflict resolution is decided by the highest of three 1d100 rolls. ]]
> [[ Rolls of 1-3 or 98-100 will yield “enhanced effect”, an especially poor or especially good outcome. ]]
> [[ These two outcomes offset each other when occuring simultaneously, yielding a normal outcome. ]]
> [[ A true critical failure occurs when a 1-3 is rolled, and all rolls are below the target number before modifiers. ]]
> [[ A true critical success occurs when a 98-100 is rolled, and all rolls are above the target number after modifiers. ]]
> [[ Critical successes will also occur if two rolls are within the critical success threshold, unless the third roll is within the critical failure threshold. ]]
> [[ However, the same will apply to critical failures.]]

> [[ Ascheritte's skills and passive abilities provide bonuses and modifiers to rolls. ]]
> [[ Modifiers and target numbers remain hidden currently, but a skill's degree of effect should be evident through its description. ]]
> [[ Active abilities can be used freely, but some are reactionary, and will be prompted during combat. ]]
>>
File: Aelriss.jpg (130 KB, 1000x605) Image search: [Google]
Aelriss.jpg
130 KB, 1000x605
>>44267443

Screams reverberate throughout the halls of the Upper Sanctum as you, Aelriss, and Nel sprint back through the winding passages, passing myriad doors—all alike—before the landing comes into view, a stiffly-neat and stocked study, with library shelves lined up on either side of the path leading back to the spiral staircase. Someone or something isn’t happy with you—at least, at possible worst; at possible best, you’ve simply startled a group of tenants who don’t get too many visitors. Ahead, the rest of the party is primed and ready; Kainzo is at the head of the group, which stands in a haphazard formation, each member visibly prepared to fight, though unsure of which direction foes could approach from.

“Nel!” Ayla says.

“You made it back in one piece, kid.” Donnel adds.

The screaming sounds are distant and echoic enough that the conversation can be heard over them without necessitating a raise in volume—but it’s an eerie backdrop, and one that isn’t particularly pleasing to the ear anyway. You feel uneasy.

“Barely.” Nel breathes a sigh of relief. “Would have been done for were it not for Ashe.”

“Ascheritte. Report?” Kainzo asks.

“An entire room of those homunculi—dolls made in the image of Kjorikos’s dead lover.” Aelriss says, before you can come through with a response of your own. “It’s worse than we thought. He didn’t just try one or two more times after the first one didn’t come through…”

To the right, a bookshelf suddenly collapses, liberating a thick cloud of dust that produces another pair of the marbleized humanoids—varying in height, with cracked, cream-colored skin, eyes and mouths closed and perfectly still. Then, a pair of the translucent Sanctum windows fall forward, shattering on the ground and revealing themselves not as portals to the outside, but as gateways to small compartments that contain more of the ghastly things.

> [[ Continued ]]
>>
File: Kainzo.jpg (77 KB, 500x702) Image search: [Google]
Kainzo.jpg
77 KB, 500x702
>>44267459

“So, uh.” Vyx asks, pointing her pair of wicked handguns back and forth between targets. “Did we decide whether these things are friend or foe?”

“They haven’t attacked us yet, but keep in mind th—“

Ayla is interrupted—crashing, and more screaming. This time, from all directions, as the sound of collapsing shelves and shattering glass plunges you into sudden severity and turmoil. Shadows close in on you at high speed from all directions; someone, or something collides with you from behind, sending you stumbling forward, barely able to keep your balance. You stabilize yourself, managing to avoid bumping into other members of the veritable flood of homunculi that's filled the room, drunkenly wandering about with no direction between them.

Taller than you, you can't quite see past them, only managing to catch occasional glimpses of your party through the flood. Some of them have sharpened body parts—not least for those obsidian spikes serving as legs, which you imagine would crush anyone who fell in short order. You can barely hear over the sounds that fill the room: screaming, metallic grinding, objects shattering.

> Try to push through to another member of the raid.
> Kjorikos can't be far from here. Look for the final room, rounding up anyone you can on the way.
> Time to find out how strong they are. Draw your sword and cut a path to the nearest ally.
> Other.
>>
File: HAPPENING2.jpg (98 KB, 510x504) Image search: [Google]
HAPPENING2.jpg
98 KB, 510x504
>>44267443
>BSO is back
>Aspiring Emperor is back
Is this the legendary christmas magic?
>>
>>44267493
>> Time to find out how strong they are. Draw your sword and cut a path to the nearest ally.
Let's get some dank exp.
>>
>>44267493
>> Time to find out how strong they are. Draw your sword and cut a path to the nearest ally.
>>
>>44267493
> Time to find out how strong they are. Draw your sword and cut a path to the nearest ally.
Glad you're finally back.
>>
>>44267443
> [[ HP: 18 / 35 ]]
> [[ PP: 6 / 8 ]]
Is that correct?
>>
How much time has passed in-story ever since we started playing the game?
>>
>>44267493
>>
Are we going for sword and board, two-handed swords or dual wield build? We'll have to specialize eventually.
>>
>>44267493
Build up momentum and plow through them with the power of the cuirass
>>
>>44267627
I would prefer two handed
>>
>>44267627
Sword and board to eventually become a tech-knight but iirc we were going to test the waters with all the styles. I think we've liked Sword and Board the most so far, though.
>>
>>44267627
Think we're going speed/dodge tank build, but no specialization yet.
>>
File: 1422574543635.jpg (175 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
1422574543635.jpg
175 KB, 640x800
>>44267568
(( That's where we left off. We don't know if passive health regeneration exists, or how long it takes to kick in if it does; despite the hiatus, though, Ascheritte and company haven't been out of action for more than a few minutes thus since their last fight. ))

>>44267583
(( Presumably just a few hours real-time. Though the passage of time in and out of game has seemed a bit odd to Trevor both times he's logged out thus far, likely due to the disorienting realism of BSO. ))

>>44267627
(( The old consensus was to become a "tech-knight", but there's still plenty of time and space to decide and try out new things. ))

>>44267522
>>44267532
>>44267550
> [[ 1d100 ]]
>>
Rolled 69 (1d100)

>>44267681
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>44267659
If we go sword and board then * Intercept // Active // Spend PP to intervene, blocking an attack for an ally.
Is a must.
>>44267681
>>
Rolled 26 (1d100)

>>44267681
Considering the long break, we should probably get a short HERE'S WHAT YOU MISSED primer to get everyone back up to speed of who we are, where we are, what we've been up to and what we're doing.
>>
>>44267627
Definitely 2 handed. Quests MCs are almost exclusively sword and board users (or halberd) if it's an option, let's mix it up. Plus I like dealing massive damage in a single blow like with our improvised meteor attack.
>>
Rolled 48 (1d100)

>>44267681
>>
Rolled 69 (1d100)

>>44267681
I could've sworn our name was Travis
>>
>>44267714
That's fine to me. We should pick
>* Two-handed Mastery // Passive // Increases the effectiveness of two-handed weapons, which become lighter and more balanced in your hands. Required for: "Titan's Strength".
On the next level then.
>>
>>44267714
>WoW Arms Warrior
>Cleave ALL THE THINGS
>Mortal Strike ALL THE THINGS
>>
>>44267710
(( I'll maybe work on a recap during the downtime, yeah. ))

>>44267736
Then you know more about this Quest than I do. Maybe you should take over. :~)

>>44267691
> [[ 69 ]]
> [[ Writing, please wait... ]]
>>
>>44267681
QM you did a very good job with skill balance. All of them are desirable.
>>
>We don't know if passive health regeneration exists, or how long it takes to kick in if it does
>healing items cost a lot
We should pick
>Combat Regeneration // Passive // Gradually restore HP. Required for “Imperishable Will”
ASAP.
>>
>>44267831
That and Weapon Mastery 2 are pretty good.
>>
>>44267849
If we decide to go 2h then it's better to pick 2h mastery before upgrading weapon mastery. But that's a big if.
>>
>>44267849
Iirc there was a lot of debate over whether a point a skill or Weapon Mastery was better.

A point in a weapon skill is better, but more specific, where as Weapon Mastery applies to everything but is lesser in effect, as I recall.

Either way, we should definitely pick up Combat Regen soon.

>>44267714
We could also not base our decisions upon what "other quests" are doing, because that's entirely retarded. Moreover, there have been examples in BSO of people wielding two-handed weapons with a shield, so I'm sure that we can do that, too.
>>
>>44267763
You've had about all you can stand of this nonsense.

And yeah, you guess the screaming is starting to get to you.

You draw your sword, lunging forward at the nearest doll and swinging horizontally in what little space the others around you afford you—and feel the gazes of the others focusing in on you as your blade bites into her midsection. Flames lick at the wound, and broken marble dust bursts into the dry air.

But it doesn't feel quite like cutting into a Crawler, or even the Obsidian Pegasus. Buried a full width in her side, your sword grinds to a halt, and she stumbles, reaching down and wrapping her spindly fingers around the blade, staring at you through painted eyelids.

> Twist and push. Bisect her.
> Nope! Sorry about that, ma'am. Was just practicing my swings.
> Try and yell something over the noise. (Write-in.)
>>
>>44267882
>Moreover, there have been examples in BSO of people wielding two-handed weapons with a shield,
That might be what "Titan's Strength" does.
>>
>>44267900
>> Twist and push. Bisect her.
> Try and yell something over the noise. "Clear them out! They're stronger than they look!"
>>
>>44267900
> Twist and push. Bisect her.
>>
>>44267900
>Nope! Sorry about that, ma'am. Was just practicing my swings.
>>
>>44267900
>> Twist and push. Bisect her.
I have a feeling we fucked up.
>>
>>44267934
ya think? pushing past em shoulda been option one not YOLO kill em all.
>>
>>44267900
>Nope! Sorry about that, ma'am. Was just practicing my swings.
>>
>>44267900
Can we activate concussive strike while it's embedded in her? If so let's do it.
>>
>>44267902
Either that or Titan's Grip. Titan's Strength might be required for Titan's Grip, anyways.

We should try and talk to the guy from the guild about it.
>>
File: Vyx.jpg (208 KB, 836x1558) Image search: [Google]
Vyx.jpg
208 KB, 836x1558
>>44267924
>>44267925
>>44267934

Your sword won't budge. It gives you the impression that you've struck an object, but your weapon has still somehow become embedded within. Back and forth, then up and down—you first wrest it from her grip, before redoubling your effort, pushing your blade forward and dragging it downward diagonally to finish the cut, barely managing to saw through her body.

Jeweled legs fall to their knees, motionless, as her torso tumbles backwards.

But there's no death message yet. You shudder, as her arms move to catch her fall, before her head hits the Sanctum floor. Two more dolls move in from either side to fill the empty space, reaching out towards you, and listening for the sound of stone grinding on glass over the screaming—now crying—you think there are more approaching from behind.

> Duck low. Slide between the attackers and finish off the wounded one.
> Attack. Try to engage the next group.
> Defend, holding your ground. Dodge whatever's coming your way without conceding your space.
> Jump, and try to walk across the crowd.
> Write-in.
>>
>>44268099
>Jump, and try to walk across the crowd.
HAHA TIME FOR CROWDSURFING
>>
>>44268099
>> Attack. Try to engage the next group.
Let's try severing their heads
>>
>>44268099
>> Jump, and try to walk across the crowd.
Bring our party with us.
>>
>>44268099
We should have been able to tell that these things aren't monsters, but more like... environmental hazards.
>>
>>44268099
>>
>>44268157
>>44268153
>>44268131
>>44268124
> [[ 1d100 ]]
>>
Rolled 57 (1d100)

>>44268171
DICE GODS
>>
Rolled 94 (1d100)

>>44268171
>>
Rolled 12 (1d100)

>>44268171
>>
File: 1332605305329.jpg (58 KB, 310x301) Image search: [Google]
1332605305329.jpg
58 KB, 310x301
>>44268193
Nice save
>>
Rolled 4 (1d100)

>>44268171
>>
>>44268193
> [[ 94 ]]

Engaging in the world of Broken Sky Online feels disturbingly realistic at times, but one of the most jarring differences is that you don't feel quite so anchored to the earth. You're much stronger, and it seems that gravity applies to you differently at times. You've made some pretty daring maneuvers yourself, and you've seen Nel take falls that you're certain would break both of your legs in real life.

You make about as powerful a leap as you can, and stop at the height of your jump, with one foot balanced on either of your attackers' heads. A hand swipes upward at your ankle, and you move instinctively, jumping to plant both feet on the forehead of another doll—and again as that one fails to maintain her balance.

You've always hated platforming, but this is working out nicely, all things considered. About ten feet towards the hallway, atop the sea of dolls, you see Tatsumaki, who seems to have adopted the same tactic as you. She's dodging about as efficiently, but her balance is looking a lot better than yours; at the very least, it looks prettier. From here, you can also hear Vyx more clearly, shouting expletives over the crying—you can see where she is in the crowd, as she's firing her guns straight up into the air as quickly as they'll shoot. Eunoia is fluttering around in circles over the mob, whistling happily.

You're not sure where everyone else is. Hopefully, no one's been trampled. Honestly, you're not even sure what to do now. You didn't really think this was going to work at all.

> Write-in.
>>
>>44268424
Meet up with Tatsumaki and start moving towards vyx
>>
>>44268424
I guess we try and retrieve Vyx and retreat?
>>
>>44268424
"Tastumaki! *point to Vyx*" then we follow Eunoia.
>>
>>44268424
Head to Vyx first. She seems to be having trouble as a ranged fighter in close quarters
>>
>>44268424
Retrieve Tatsu and extract Vyx
>>
>>44268486
+1
>>
We should let them die and take their C. gems.
>>
>>44268669
We can't succumb to their evils yet, anon.
>>
>>44268424
“Tatsumaki!” As she looks over at you, you point in Vyx's direction, and head that way to meet her—extraction time. You watch Eunoia to keep your bearings, and the two of you cross the unruly platforms in opposite directions to meet in the middle, dropping into a dead space in the crowd where the Gunner waits on the floor, alternating between firing upward and scurrying around on her back.

“Oh, fuck, where did you come from?” Vyx asks. “We are so dead.”

“Crowdsurfing.” You respond. “Can you get up there?”

“Fuck no I can't.” She says. “Are you insane?”

“What? Bullshit you can't. I saw you cartwheeling around shooting two guns a few minutes ago.” You shake your head.

“This is different!” She struggles to her feet, scanning her surroundings for an opening in the crowd. “Can't you see what's happening?”

You sigh.

“Tatsumaki,” You say, motioning her toward Vyx, then making a scooping motion with your arms. “Take her. You're carrying less than I am.”

“You want her to do what?” Vyx asks—then Tatsumaki sweeps her off the ground, bracing her knees and back with one arm each. Before you can afford further instructions, Tatsumaki leaps upward again, carrying Vyx atop the crowd with her.

> Follow Eunoia in search of Aelriss.
> Message someone. (Write-in)
> Head for the hallway.
> Other.
>>
>>44268767
>> Follow Eunoia in search of Aelriss.
>>
>>44268767
> Message someone. (Write-in)
Party wide chat, asking still alive?
>>
>>44268767
Use the party chat to get everyone's location and status
>>
>>44268767
>>44268809
This
>>
File: Ayla.jpg (95 KB, 565x800) Image search: [Google]
Ayla.jpg
95 KB, 565x800
>>44268809
>>44268794
>>44268789

There's a little bit of space in the crowd for you to move through, and you think you see where Eunoia's been fluttering closest to. Staying low to the ground, you maneuver towards it, attempting to minimize contact with the homunculi surrounding you.

In another opening, you can see she's doing a fairly well job of defending herself. Her weapon—a metal rod—has a long reach, and it doesn't necessarily have to be used so lethally as a sword or gun. You breach the crowd, startling her in the process, as she almost whacks you across the face with the pole.

“Watch it!” You shout, almost having to flatten yourself against the ground to avoid the swing.

“You watch it!” She responds. “I think we're all rightfully a little on edge right now! Where's everyone else?”

“I'm about to find that out. Cover me!” You say.

> [[ UI Messenger – Group Chat ]]
> [[ Conversation Topic (Set by Aelriss): Inner Sanctum Expedition ]]
> [[ Ascheritte ]]: Yo, is everyone alright?
> [[ Ascheritte ]]: Status report?
> [[ Nel ]]: under a bookcase
> [[ Nel ]]: just
> [[ Nel ]]: tell me when it's over I guess
> [[ Ayla ]]: Kainzo, Donnel, Dorian, Andor and I are all here.
> [[ Ayla ]]: Close to the center of the crowd, I would reckon. This room seems a lot bigger all of a sudden.
> [[ Ayla ]]: Kainzo's got us covered on protection, but we're sort of boxed in.
> [[ Donnel ]]: At this point, we're banking on this whole thing being temporary.
> [[ Vyx ]]: Tatsumaki and I are already at the next hallway. Get on our level!
> [[ Ayla ]]: Alright. I think we're going to try and make a move there soon, if this doesn't end.
> [[ Ayla ]]: Ascheritte, are you ready?

> [[ 1d100 ]]
>>
Rolled 62 (1d100)

>>44269139
>>
Rolled 33 (1d100)

>>44269139
>>
Rolled 35 (1d100)

>>44269139
>>
>>44269157

> [[ 62 ]]

Your vision snaps up from the holographic screen in time to see a familiar pair of dolls push through the crowd. These two aren't moving as aimlessly or slowly as the others, instead stomping directly towards you; Aelriss begins to direct them away with her staff, but they move around her entirely, fixated on you.

You draw your sword again, raising it in time to deflect the pairs of ghostly claws extended in your direction.

> If you fight this one out, you'll be able to wait as long as you need to.
> Get moving towards the hallway.
> Head toward the center of the crowd to find the others.
> Make your way to the closest set of bookshelves in search of Nel.
>>
>>44269308
>> If you fight this one out, you'll be able to wait as long as you need to.
>>
>>44269308
>>
>>44269308
>>
>>44269308
Go find Nel and regroup.
>>
>>44269378
>>44269347
>>44269322

> [[ 1d100 ]]
>>
Rolled 28 (1d100)

>>44269602
>>
Rolled 34 (1d100)

>>44269602
Check my 100
>>
Rolled 28 (1d100)

>>44269602
RIP ourselves
>>
We just can't stop fucking up. What an awful situation.
>>
>>44269676
The dice gods aren't happy with the hiatus
>>
Are you ready for nameless broken sky quest?
>>
>>44269806
Eh, I doubt they can deal 18 hp worth of damage in one round.
>>
Rolled 100 (1d100)

>>44269602
>>
>>44269871
...................... dammit anon you are LATE!
>>
>>44269871
It's official: the dice gods are mocking us.
>>
>>44269628

> [[ 34 ]]

“Ael, let's make time!” You shout. “Take 'em down!”

With a fierce backhand, your follow-up swing is deflected. It grazes, sparking along the creature's stone arm and bouncing wide of her head. Then, the twin homunculi attack, lashing out at your arm. The claws are not sharp, but they rend flesh as they cross it, as if trailing invisible knives an inch behind them.

> [[ HP: 9 / 35 ]]
> [[ Dazed ]]

They run up your chest, and you tilt your head to the side to avoid an even worse fate—but your shoulder is split open, and blood sprays from the wound. It hurts, and you stumble, falling onto your back.

“Ashe!” Aelriss shouts, moving to parry an incoming attack. She deflects a strike headed your way with her staff—but isn't watching behind her, and an obsidian spike pierces her abdomen from behind, visible to you from below as it exits the other side.

She winces, clutching the bloody spike tip at her front, before falling forward and landing face-down next to you, blood mingling on the Sanctum floor.

The scratching of stone on glass draws closer.

> Write-in.
>>
>>44269919
Shake head to clear it
Check to see if she's alive
If yes grab her and get to safety
if no leave her and feet to safety.
>>
>>44269919
Concussive Strike on them and drink a healing potion. Make her drink a potion too.
>>
>>44269919
Yell for help and use a concussive strike on the nearest opponent. Protect Aelriss and give her a healing potion when the enemies are thrown back.
>>
>>44269965
Yeah that works.
>>
please have mercy and let us use that 100 we rolled earlier
>>
Pls don't die Aelriss
>>
>>44270056
>Aelriss
>Aeris
She's ded.
>>
>>44269919
Yeah, it'll take a little more than that. You take in your surroundings, and see Aelriss twitch as you begin to push yourself to your feet. Still alive, presumably; you're not sure what her total HP is, but you're certain it's less than yours.

Doesn't seem either of you could weather another hit like that.

> [[ PP: 1 / 8 ]]

Your blade becomes wrapped in force as the dolls prepare to attack again. But you move out of range—pairing your ability with your signature fading strike—then push forward to hit them with everything you've got.

The wave of force ripples outward as your blade meets its mark. One of the two dolls is uselessly thrown aside, while the other is launched backwards at incredible speed, its body breaking apart as it blasts a path through the scattering crowd of homunculi.

> [[ Ascheritte defeated Velika. ]]
> [[ This transgression will not be forgotten... ]]

You turn—there's another one standing over Aelriss, leg raised to impale her. But Eunoia swoops down past you, wreathed in orange light. A familiar beam attack leaves char-marks up and down the doll's body before blowing its head clean off, sending the rest of the pieces crumbling to the ground.

> [[ Aelriss defeated Velika. ]]

The bird lands on Aelriss's shoulder, melting into a green glow that suffuses her form; she appears noticeably stunned as she begins to rise. It looks like the crowd of dolls is beginning to disperse.

> Grab Ael and run for the hallway.
> Write-in.
>>
>>44270248
We didn't drink any healing potions?
>>
>>44270248
>> Grab Ael and run for the hallway.
POTIONS
>>
>>44270248
Well shit, I don't like remembering transgressions.
>>
>>44270248
>> Grab Ael and run for the hallway.
>>
>>44270296
It's the same message we got when we took the painting. If we kill the boss everything is going to be alright.
>>
>>44270248
Well we've done it now.

At this point, should we just kill them all and try to level up before the bossfight?
>>
>>44270788
I hope the boss doesn't get stronger in proportion of how many we kill.
>>
>>44270821
More enraged, for sure. Whether that makes it stronger or makes it easier to trigger the puzzle elements...
>>
>>44270788
I don't think we gained any exp from killing them.
>>
>>44270875
If we don't.....I'm guessing noone wants to be an ass and use them as hostages?
>>
>>44270889
They're REALLY tough and heavy, it seems difficult.
>>
Still here Sylvetica?
>>
>>44270821
>>44270821
The boss homes in on/gets agro'd much easier by Ashe and Ael. That or less loot for them
>>
>>44271144
> [[ Technical difficulties. Give me a few. ]]
>>
>about to go to bed
>check twitter for no good reason
>suddenly BSO has been live for a few hours

It's good to be playing this again.
Chipping in to earlier discussions, I think going for a 2h weapon would be best matched to our quite frankly reckless playstyle. Leave the shields to the tanks who are prepared to sit still enough to make use of them.
>>
>>44271478
Yeah I'd rather focus our defensive skills to either dodging or iron body instead of wasting points on shield skills
>>
>>44271478
That is true, it seems like we'd only use a shield to hit people with.
>>
>>44271543
Combat regen, we needs it

>>44271478
Yeah maybe stay 1 and 1/2 handed until we get titan's grip? We'll be faster that way.
>>
>>44271543
>>44271478
I can get behind that. Passive defense and a bit of dodging so we can carry big/many weapons.
>>
>>44271478
We should go for a juggernaut build. Max iron body, max combat regen and max 2h.
>>
>>44271543
Yeah, being a nimble-tough hybrid with a two hander seems to fit us better.

>>44271559
>only use a shield to hit people with.
Sounds about right yeah.

>>44271573
>titan's grip
You thinking of strength? Grip is the one dual weild unlocks.
And I figure we'll grab a two hander and give it a few swings to see what our character makes of it, then decide. I'm not averse to sticking with something more manageable in the short term though.

Armour wise some kinda medium stuff in the short run. Few plates here are there in the weakest points, something lighter for the rest til we're strong enoguh to wear proper plate without caring. That might require some kinda techkight exosuit though which would probably be a long while to go.

>>44271611
I personally think the agility the dodging and some of its skilltree would be invaluable for getting around even if they weren't useful for avoiding damage. I also think that it's probably best to have the dodging capacity for avoiding magical attacks or something that will probably hurt more than our defense can take
>>
>>44271611
Our cuirass rewards building up speed and striking though. We gotta have some quickness.
>>
>>44271675
Get better equips then. We still are very early game.
>>
>>44271693
I'm pretty attached to that cuirass. That skill it gives us is super valuable.
>>
...at the risk of reviving the age old arguments, I still think we should aim to join Crimson Guard...

I can't really remember what Liza's transgressions were anymore. Something about personal revenge and glory at the sacrifice of the many? She saved our skydiving ass though.

I think Tatsu was considering the CG too?
>>
>>44271730
It still is an early boss drop. We must let our build decide our equips, not the opposite.
>>44271776
I'm against joining those three guilds
>>
>>44271730
We're already a human wrecking ball with it, imagine if we had a level or two in sprint.
>>
>>44271776
We don't get to keep the gems we find if we join that guild. Fuck that.
>>
>>44271788
>It still is an early boss drop. We must let our build decide our equips, not the opposite.
Different guy, but I'd argue that it doesn't matter either way at this stage. We'll likely want the skills that have good synergy with it down the line anyway but at the same time I don't think more speed is our immediate need right now. Combat regen is a pretty top skill considering how often we get bust up, and some more attack power wouldn't go amiss either.

>I'm against joining those three guilds
Enh, I'd agree normally, but there's this power race going on in this game. Best to join a guild and then work up the ranks enough to steer it than form our own tiny guild in my opinion.

>>44271820
I forget what the details on that were exactly, could you remind me? I'm sure I had some reason for this not being an issue
>>
>>44271693
Does unstoppable momentum really ever stop being useful?
>>
>>44271868
All members must give celestial gems to the leader.
>>44271897
It does when better gear is dropped.
>>
>>44271868
They take all the gems from each member and distribute them to the highest level members.
>>
>>44271928
>It does when better gear is dropped.
IF better gear is dropped soon. As it is us being a solid all around might be better until we get a Celestial artifact we're going to stick with.
>>
>>44271928
No that's just Crimson Guard. Even then, the wings are DONE, aren't they?
>>
>>44271958
>IF
That was literally the first dungeon boss we fought better gear WILL be dropped. Gear treadmill is a thing in mmorpgs.
>>
>>44271947
Ah was that it? Perhaps I was banking on being able to climb rank fast enough to reach the top of the gem pyramid. Memory hazy.

Still, going with the guild that will be most likely to snap up all the delicious boss battles and be the first to hit new areas is the best way to grab the best loot and stay ahead of the game.

>>44271983
You can upgrade CG items with more CGs can't you? Or can yuo? It's been too long...
>>
>>44271983
Other high rank members want more cgs for their shit, so I doubt we'll be allowed to keep any.

>>44272000
We're already doing that as a no name so I fail to see why.
>>
>>44272000
Every guild except for the city guard one is gonna lead to plenty of boss battles.
>>
>>44272000
I'd rather have our own guild or join some other guild besides the big 3 in Averron.
>>
I'm starting to think the thread is over
>>
>>44272028
>We're already doing that as a no name so I fail to see why.
From what I recall this time was a special occasion because we found the boss fight in the first place. I guess we may have been able to prove ourselves somewhat with this though and so be able to go sword for hire or something. That could be neat too - you get to delve in the politicking and go out on the big gigs but aren't tied down by any guild rules.

>>44272032
It's the first exploration of a new area that can be particularly lucrative though. Bosses respawn so you don't need to hit them first, but the impression I got was that one time gems or loot opportunities can be found and thus being the first in an area lets you get the pick of the crop.
>>
>>44272076
> [[ Update shortly. ]]
>>
>>44272102
We just need to level fast and keep moving. Hell we could make our own explorer guild. Find new areas and have other larger more ponderous guilds bid for the right to accompany us.
>>
>>44272157
>Hell we could make our own explorer guild.
I'm really not too interested in the paperwork I envisage that entailing. Would rather be a noname merc than make a guild, just seems like a lot of hassle for a quest format.

>level fast
Well, I maintain that would happen most by joining up with the crimson guard...

I suppose one option would be joining them early, getting 'power levelled' as such (plus gaining their juicy knowledge of how the game works) and then leaving so we can keep our gems we find thereafter.
>>
>>44272272
>I'm really not too interested in the paperwork
Did you never have a guild with only your friends?
>>
>>44272272
I mean like 6 people sized, not CG sized. No real paperwork just an insignia and small guild hall to hang our shit up in.
>>
>>44272272
I'm just getting a cult-y vibe from what I've heard about the Crimson guard. I'm not interested in it at all.
>>
>>44272310
>>44272311
That's great, but being a guild means being lobbied into joining the alliance, taking responsibility for stuff, being seen as more of a rival by existing guilds than if we were just guildless, etc
Having a guild name is just semantics, no reason not to just stick to always partying up with the same people and giving your group an informal name or something.

And it's nice and all having a guild with only your friends but that kinda thing doesn't lend itself well to being important in the grand scheme of things.
>>
File: Andor.jpg (203 KB, 1000x728) Image search: [Google]
Andor.jpg
203 KB, 1000x728
>>44272105

“You alright?” You ask.

“Yeah, barely.” Aelriss responds, as the two of you carefully maneuver throughout the thinning crowd. There's space now, thankfully, and it grows wider as the remainder of the homunculi begin to disappear, stumbling and falling down the stairs or shuffling back into the compartments behind the windows, vanishing into darkness. Vyx and Tatsumaki are visible at the corner far ahead, and you see Nel shuffling out from under a bookcase now that the noise has stopped.

“Thanks for the assist.” You say.

“You too.” She responds. “Nice plan, by the way.”

“I didn't really have a whole lot to go by.” You shrug. “But yeah, I've done better.”

Toward the center of the room, a translucent red dome—apex no more than three or four feet off the ground—shields the other members of the party, and fades quickly once the screaming and crying comes to a stop.

“Oh, wow.” Aelriss nudges you. “That's Kainzo's...?”

“Must be.” Nel says. “I can't imagine he uses it often—probably none of the Guardians break theirs out frequently, on account of drawing attention.”

“As if Liza could resist flying everywhere?” You ask. You wouldn't have a whole lot to go by on that, but almost falling to your death was pretty fun that one time, were it not for the 'death' qualifier.

“Whatever the case, it looks powerful.” Aelriss says. “Kainzo! Was that what I think it was?”

“Walk and talk.” Kainzo responds, the remainder of the group in tow. “There aren't that many places to go in this Sanctum. I've a feeling most of the roads that aren't in the basement lead back here.”

> [[ Continued ]]
>>
>>44272386
>guild means being lobbied into joining the alliance,
Nope only really big guild, smaller guilds are seen as not worth the effort.

>taking responsibility for stuff,
Like we're already doing?

>being seen as more of a rival by existing guilds than if we were just guildless,
Explorer guild that sesls new area coordinates based on raffle is pretty damn neutral.

>only your friends but that kinda thing doesn't lend itself well to being important in the grand scheme of things

>find new areas,
>Filled with loot
>sells maps
>Not important
>>
>>44272386
>And it's nice and all having a guild with only your friends but that kinda thing doesn't lend itself well to being important in the grand scheme of things.
We don't have to be important in the grand scheme of things.
>>
File: Nel.jpg (110 KB, 987x1695) Image search: [Google]
Nel.jpg
110 KB, 987x1695
>>44272398

“Cat-girl!” Vyx says, still hefted in Tatsumaki's arms, as you and the group begin to pass. You hear Kainzo sigh on your behalf. “You're so strong. I love you now. Take me away!”

Tatsumaki gives her a confused look, before suddenly collapsing, leaving the two of them in a stunned, tangled heap on the floor.

“Huh. Fatigue.” Andor says, glancing them over. “Doing acrobatics like that while carrying so much weight catches up with you. I haven't seen anyone manage it for so long, to be honest.”

“Hey, are you calling me fat?” Vyx's voice is muffled, face pressed against the ground. “Take it back.”

You've been down these hallways before. Glassy walls, with gold-leaf trim. All alike, an immaculate setting that derides your eyes for believing this place is the slightest bit clean. Screaming still echoes in your ears, and blood stains your armor as it once did these floors. Perhaps, you think, the power of Artifice was built upon a foundation of jealousy, bloodshed, and indecency.

Or perhaps all these goddamn roleplayers are getting in your head again. You sigh. Nel's map is accurate—at least, what he was able to make before the dolls blocked him off. Smooth stone doors, set perfectly into the adjacent walls, dot the hallways. Most are sealed, and do not open. Few others might well be worth searching. But what you seek, you see ahead.

> [[ Ancient Cathedral: Sanctum of Kjorikos – The Observatory // PVP Disabled ]]

> [[ Continued ]]
>>
>>44272419
But that's the thing. If you're able to be hitting the frontlines, you're a rival.

>>44272424
Well, enjoy mediocrity I guess?
>>
>>44272452
>Well, enjoy mediocrity I guess?
Yeah this is just a game bro.
>>
>>44272452
To be fair, we've only been on for a day. Nothing wrong with spending another day or two grinding some levels and gear out before we go full GEM CRAZY
>>
>>44272452
>If you're able to be hitting the frontlines, you're a rival.

Not really since we're glorified free lance scout mercs. The pay they get our services.
>>
>>44272467
Sounds like someone hasn't been snorting their gems enough
>>
File: Dorian.jpg (82 KB, 534x1024) Image search: [Google]
Dorian.jpg
82 KB, 534x1024
>>44272433

At the back of this landing, a small staircase leads up to a massive, wooden double-door, decorated in iron and gold: the Observatory. The remainder of the room is uneventful, save for one thing: a banquet table—seated for ten, with dishes brimming with exotic-looking fruits and meats. In the center, a number of empty glasses surround a small, ornate bronze fountain, which recycles a pure-looking liquid, wine-red. Adjacent, another bowl stacked high with more fruits of other types, glowing beneath chandelier-light from above.

“Opulent.” Ayla says, an air of sarcasm in her voice. You're rolling over your inventory—the walk has been quiet, rife with tension.

“I'm taking all of this on the way out.” Aelriss says.

“We'll split it down the middle.” Donnel nudges. “Square?”

“Incorrect. The officers' room at the Writ Keepers' hall is in need of new decorations.” Dorian says. “Ayla, I'll secure you the lion's share.”

“Hold on,” You suggest. “It could be a trap.”

“He's right.” Kainzo says, staying the group before they advance. “A deception like that would be practically normal in the lower branches.”

“This doesn't look like it.” Nel moves forward, investigating the table. “At least, not a traditional one, anyway. Might be some kind of a rest area, or just decoration? I'm assuming that's the boss room up ahead.”

“That's what they WANT you to think.” Vyx folds her arms.

“I'm inclined to believe the opposite of whatever she does.” Ayla points at Vyx.

“How about someone jumps in and grabs something, and Eunoia can fix 'em up if it's poisoned?” Donnel says. “I volunteer Dorian.”

“Eunoia's spent for another few minutes.” Aelriss says. “Had a close call back there.”

Tatsumaki gives you an inquisitive look, then shrugs.

> Write-in.
>>
>>44272483
How do you not understand this?
>unexplored places can have gems or other special loot lying around
>a guild who specialises in being the first to enter new places
>somehow not a rival of the others

The WK and CG are rivals, they pursue rather different goals, but they nevertheless represent two major power clusters that are in it for theirselves. A guild that focussed on exploration would be no different.
>>
>>44272534
Control your shadowruns.
>>
>>44272512
"Yeah why not, even though it is a trap, might get something for beating it."
>>
>>44272512
Alright everyone heal up then i'll be the Guinea pig, I drew two "Shall not be forgiven's" s if anyone draws agro it'll be me.

>>44272534
Dude it's fine, stop spazzing out. Being a small explorer's guild still pays a lot.
>>
>>44272512
>I'm thinking we can at least rest. Decide for yourselves if you want to pocket the food, but let's not steal any decorations until after the bossfight
>Need to get used to our HP regen anyway
>Hey Nell, you think there's a gem in that chandelier?
>>
>>44272512
Just leave everyone alone and suggest that everyone heals up and prepares for the boss fight. Drink a healing potion and use a moonroof herb to restore pp
>>
>>44272512
>"Well, if we take it on the way out then we won't run afoul of the nastier surprises I'd imagine"
>>
>>44272512
on second thought, change >>44272571
to Ashe eating the food after healing.
>>
>>44272578
everything*, not everyone
>>
guys please don't vote to eat this. you're being retarded.
>>
>>44272659
BUT ANON WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE SUSPICIOUS ABOUT FREE, NON-MOULDY FOOD IN AN AGES ABANDONED OLD SCIENCE CATHEDRAL?
>>
>>44272512
> “Ayla, I'll secure you the lion's share.”
If he wants the lion's share he'll have to poison taste it.
>>
>>44272552
What? The only way to beat a poisoned food trap is to not eat the food.
>>
>>44272512

You pop the moonroot herb into your mouth with an awfully loud, unsatisfying crunch. Still next to you, Aelriss winces on your behalf.

> [[ PP: 6 / 6 ]]
> [[ Moonroot Poisoning: Dizzy ]]

“Ashe? Did you just eat a raw moonroot?” Aelriss asks. “Those will make you sick, you know.”

“Yeah.” You burp, then stumble a bit. It tastes like ginger, but a bit stale. “I like the challenge.”

“Plus, the apothecary in Averron died in the riot, which means no elixirs unless we figure out how to craft them ourselves, if we even can.” Ayla adds. “A lot of the NPCs haven't respawned, actually. It's disconcerting.”

“It's not so bad.” Vyx folds her arms. “It means tasty, tasty moonroot for everyone.”

“I guess if that's the best we can do to prepare. We should all try to get our HP and PP up.” Andor sighs. “I hope we've all got an excess of recovery items?”

“I'm a little low.” Donnel says. “I guess I didn't quite know what to expect.”

“Well, uh.” Evidently done checking the table and chairs for traps, Nel's going over the assortment of foods. “There's like, a ton of moonroot over here.”

> Write-in.
>>
>>44272875
Grab it but don't use it yet.
>>
>>44272875
>"Welp, if people want to risk the suspicious free goodies, that's their call"
>Walk backward, hands held spread in front of us
>>
>>44272875
Isn't our max PP 8? Drink a healing potion.
>>
>>44272875
I bet that fountain is healing potion or something. Try it out and pocket some moonroot.
>>
Welp, I gotta get to sleep. Try not to die from food traps everyone.

Thanks for running Sylvetican, I look forward to next time
>>
>>44272920
>Walk backward, hands held spread in front of us
What is this action supposed to mean?
>>
>>44272875
Collect what we can an ID it.
>>
File: 5165573.jpg (278 KB, 1354x1060) Image search: [Google]
5165573.jpg
278 KB, 1354x1060
>>44273093
>>
>>44272875
I guess let's first see if touching the food does anything.
>>
>>44273121
Why would we do that?
>>
>>44273007
I feel like with the fountain, we should try a very small amount first. like just dip our finger in and taste it. It sems like the game might tell us what we're consuming?
>>
File: Donnel.jpg (320 KB, 508x918) Image search: [Google]
Donnel.jpg
320 KB, 508x918
>>44272875
In quiet anticipation of things to come, you gulp down a lesser healing potion as well.

> [[ HP: 16 / 35 ]]

The party begins to surround the table, and you look over what Nel's got his eye on.

> Inventory [[ platter ]]
pickled moonroot x8

“Looks legit.” You say, sarcastically. It's a number of small, sealed jars containing a faintly-glowing bluish suspension.

“Maybe it's a purified restorative, like moonroot elixir.” Aelriss says. “Or, maybe it's just been fermenting for so long that it's twice as toxic as the raw herb. That sounds more likely.”

“Hey, look on the bright side.” Vyx says. “Twice the toxicity means twice the potency, y'know.”

“She's got a point.” Donnel shrugs. “Kind of a stupid one, but a point nontheless.”

“Is the implication here that people used to just eat this stuff for fun?” Aelriss asks.

“You probably had to be a little intoxicated to invent the kinds of stuff we've seen in here.” Ayla shrugs. “So, yeah, I guess. Take it if you want it, but don't make it your first resort.”

“What about the fountain?” You ask, dipping your finger tentatively. It doesn't seem to have any effect—when you touch it to your tongue, the effect is instantaneous.

> [[ HP: 31 / 35 ]]
> [[ Moonroot Poisoning: Dizzy ]]
> [[ Stunned ]]
> [[ Paralyzed ]]

A single drop, and the worst of your wounds close in an instant. But your muscles lock up; your skin tightens uncomfortably, and you collapse into a sitting position. You're stunned for another couple of seconds—then, left in a state where you can't do much more than talk and move your arms.

“Ascheritte! Are you alright?” Kainzo asks.

“Fine?” You say, through clenched teeth.

“Vitae.” Nel says, looking over a full glass. “Looks like it's a powerful restorative.”

> [[ Continued ]]
>>
>>44273574

“More than. Evidently, it can paralyze and stun the imbiber—and allegedly has other hidden effects, as well, probably if consumed under particular circumstances.” Dorian appears to be closely inspecting a glass of his own. "Though I can't possibly imagine what. A delayed poison? Probably not. Overdose, maybe?"

“So a healing item that you can't use in combat.” Andor says. “Well, at the risk of getting killed. How's your health, Ashe?”

> [[ HP: 32 / 35 ]]

“Almost full.” You respond. “I guess it seems like something that would belong here, game-wise.”

“Kjorikos did want the best for his love, however he went about it.” Ayla says. “I guess he could keep fresh food on hand. Maybe he's got to eat too?”

“I question the choice of drinks for a romantic dinner.” Donnel says. “But, yeah. Game stuff, I guess.”

> [[ HP: 33 / 35 ]]

[[ 1 ]]
> Suggest taking turns imbibing the vitae for a free raid heal.
> Suggest using your items as the primary form of recovery for the upcoming fight.

[[ 2 ]]
> Strike up a conversation with someone. (Write-in.)
> Send someone a message. (Write-in)
>>
>>44273597
> Suggest using your items as the primary form of recovery for the upcoming fight.
Can we start the fight now?
>>
>>44273597
> Suggest taking turns imbibing the vitae for a free raid heal.
and bottle this up, it's useful if only after combat is cleared.
> Strike up a conversation with someone. Nel on how he's doing, Aelriss on her health , where everyone is at supply wise.
>>
>>44273597
>Suggest taking turns imbibing the vitae for a free raid heal.
>>
>>44273647
+1
>>
>>44273597
>Suggest using your items as the primary form of recovery for the upcoming fight.
>I'm thinking we bottle this up and throw it at the boss for a free stun to start things off

>Talk to Nell
We're going to be aggroing just as much as he is, so warn him not to do anything crazy trying to "save" us.
>>
>>44273740
>I'm thinking we bottle this up and throw it at the boss for a free stun to start things off
That's worth suggesting, but we might need to get it in his mouth first, which seems difficult.
>>
>>44273780
It would arguably work more quickly and to greater effect if it entered his bloodstream directly, like if we put some on our sword and slashed him. This is assuming he has flesh instead of a golem body or something.
>>
So Asch and Aelriss both killed one of the dolls and got
Are we likely to get targeted harder in the boss fight?
>>
>>44273810
yes.

Or demons of vengeance adds appear that target us specifically
>>
>>44273810
We should probably tell the party about that possibility. And ask if anyone else killed one of them.
>>
>>44273597

“Think we can throw this stuff at the boss?” You ask. “We could open with a stun.”

“Doubt it.” Nel says. “If it worked on contact, you'd have been knocked out when you touched it. We should just use it to heal in shifts to save supplies.”

Time passes as the members of the raid imbibe the scarlet liquid, one or two at a time, wounds closing.

“Everyone's alright, I surmise?” Kainzo asks.

“Nel, you're doing good?” You ask.

“Hangin' in there.” He replies, taking a deep breath. “Maybe I'm a little nervous.”

“Well, don't worry. Kjorikos might be a little cross at me specifically. Might have stepped on his toes a little bit, with the tomb ransacking and homunculus-smashing.” You reply, then shrug. “So, no one go do anything crazy trying to save me, if things get bad.”

“I wasn't planning on it.” Dorian rolls his eyes.

“Aelriss, you're fine?” You turn to look at her. “I saw you killed one of the dolls, so...”

“As I've ever been, Ashe.” She responds. “And I know. I'll be on my toes. If anything, I'll stick with you.”

“Donnel, you said you were low on recovery items?” Kainzo asks. “How is everyone doing down that avenue?”

“I've got enough for the fight.” Donnel says. “I was just concerned about having to use them to prepare for the fight, instead.”

“Same,” Ayla replies. “I've got a bomb left, too, and I know exactly where I'm putting it.”

Tatsumaki gives a thumbs-up.

“I think we're ready, then.” Kainzo says. “We know our formation...”

“And we've proven already that we operate on the outer fringe of strategy.” Andor adds.

“Nothing's left, then?” Aelriss asks.

> [[ HP: 35 / 35 ]]
You are clear of negative status effects.

> Enter the Observatory.
> Write-in.
>>
>>44274019
> Enter the Observatory.
>>
>>44274019
>> Enter the Observatory.
and the thread ends
>>
>>44274067
I was actually going to keep posting, but I'm not sure if it'd be better in terms of readership if I just did it tomorrow or another day.
>>
>>44274019
> Enter the Observatory.
Let's do this!
>>
>>44274088
Let's keep going. It'll take a few threads to get back to your previous amount of players. Happens with every extended hiatus.
>>
>>44274019
>>
>>44274019
>>
NEXT TIME ON BROKEN SKY ONLINE

YOU FIND THE BAD GUY

YOU FIGHT THE ABOMINATIONS

YOU SAVE THE GIRL
>>
>>44274206
hopefully it's this time.
>>
I'm honestly cool with continuing now, if QM is. I love this quest.
>>
>>44274206
It'll be fun when we have that thread in april.
>>
>>44274019
>Enter the Observatory.
>>
File: 1422324183059.jpg (387 KB, 679x1549) Image search: [Google]
1422324183059.jpg
387 KB, 679x1549
>>44274019
> [[ Ancient Cathedral: Sanctum of Kjorikos – The Observatory // PVP Disabled ]]

Through the enormous doors, an even more jarring disconnect awaits, as the raid crosses the threshold into what seems like another world altogether.

> [[ Sylvetica // PVP Disabled ]]

At your back, the whole of the temple—or the portion you can see from here, embedded in the rock face that extends upward to melt into the sky, and reaches the horizon to your left and right both—waits, looking rustic and decrepit in its exterior.

You stand in a meadow, geographically not unlike the first place you experienced upon beginning the game. You're on the edge of a lush forest. There are mountains visible in the distance, and you can hear birds chirping overhead. You're warmed by an illusory sun, high in the sky.

“Oh, damn.” Ayla says. “Don't show me a place like this if you're not going to give me time to explore it...”

“On your guard, Ayla.” Kainzo nods, weapon ready. “Remember. There's an Aetheric Resonator downstairs with your name on it.”

“It's got all of our names on it, Kainzo.” Aelriss grumbles, as the raid spreads out in the meadow. “What do you suppose this place is, anyway?”

“A recreation.” Dorian says. “Is it not obvious? Whatever happened to old Sylvetica—Kjorikos wanted to get it back. The same goes for Velika. He was merely stuck in the past. Someone who must have been so powerful couldn't even move forward where it counted.”

“Indeed.” An unknown man's voice sounds, echoic. Behind, you hear a door slamming—typical. It continues. “There are none so strong as to leave this past behind.”

The sky begins to darken, and you feel energy welling up around you. The members of the party assume fighting stances, looking each other over briefly.

“Move!” You shout. “Now!”
>>
Post incoming.
>>
File: 1362703415310.jpg (40 KB, 720x532) Image search: [Google]
1362703415310.jpg
40 KB, 720x532
>>44274781
>>
File: 1422502875646.jpg (1 MB, 2098x2966) Image search: [Google]
1422502875646.jpg
1 MB, 2098x2966
>>44274777

“Had you only known the world that was.” A lance of purple lightning utterly annihilates what was the center of your group a moment ago, as you dive and dart in all directions, turning to search for the source of the attack and organize some sort of fighting formation. You smell ozone; divots of broken earth rain down, and a cloud of smoke and dust drifts downwind. “Had you only known the one I loved. You too would find it beautiful. You too would feel weak.”

“Yet now, you are borne upwards, toward the sky. To partake of our past? You will find nothing awaiting you there.” Then, the ground trembles—for only a moment, before pillars and barricades of earth and stone erupt from underground, splitting trees and destroying rocks. You lose sight of the others as you move to avoid the attacks from below; Tatsumaki dodges past you, into the forest, and you hear the sound of handcasters firing, likely Ayla or Vyx. “We share the same fate. You will be corrupted by memory.”

The earth at your feet breaks, and you tumble further through the trees, bracing yourself against a newly formed stone wall as you come to a stop on your feet. He lands mere feet away from you in a wreath of violet fire that scorches the meadow grass. He is bigger than you, armored and cloaked, with a hood pulled over his head and a metal mask disguising his face. He appears ancient, as if imprisoned in a man-shaped shell of rust.

But he is a man—humanoid, at least—and speaks with an unusual awareness of context. You thought only players were human. You scan him up and down for a Unique Identifier to make sure. Nothing.

“Ascheritte.” He speaks in a grim tone, and your blood runs cold.

You've never fought a spellcaster before, but you swear someone told you once they were pretty dangerous. You don't see the others.

> Write-in.
>>
>>44274824
HOLY SHIT WHAT DO WE DO

Okay, let's take this slow. We don't know his full abilties yet -- and definitely not in close quarters, but this is absolutely beyond fucking dangerous. We need to escape, now.
>>
>>44274824
Focus on dodging until we know what he is capable of.
>>
>>44274824
"Kjorikos, I take it you want me dead out of most of my fellows."

Show him the empty picture frame, then run for cover.
>>
>>44274824
aww, the helmet has good coverage of his mouth.

>And what do you want from me? An apology? Sure, I didn't mean any disrespect. The memento seemed like it needed to be given to someone, and we did our best not to harm the homunculi.
>>
>>44274824
Get close and try some sword attacks, but be ready to dodge or flee from any attacks we can. Yell for backup. Keep an eye on any stone or the ground in the immediate area too.
>>
>>44274824
Is this really what Velika would have wanted? I know I've disrespected her memory but haven't you done the same, creating all these imitations?
>>
>>44274860
>>44274887
>>44274919
> Defensive approach.
> [[ 1d100 ]]
>>
Rolled 43 (1d100)

>>44275029
Damn, my write in wasn't fast enough.
>>
Rolled 9 (1d100)

>>44275029
>>
Rolled 7 (1d100)

>>44275029
>>
Rolled 32 (1d100)

>>44275029
RIP Ascheritte
>>
>>44275044
we're still 3 for 2, so we're gonna have to deal with it.
>>
>>44275044
>>44275055
>>44275085
How is it possible to have such consistently awful rolls in one thread?
>>
Rolled 16 (1d100)

>>44275029
>>
>>44275117
Ascheritte's curse is real.
>>
Rolled 72 (1d100)

>>44275029
Rollin again to check strength of our curse
>>
>>44275146
>>44275117
1 hp wasn't enough.

We need to be betrayed by everyone and lose an eye before things get better.
>>
This is probably why we should have waited, I think the dice are at low tide right now.
>>
>>44275029

“I'm guessing you're expecting an apology?” Mostly, you're wondering what he is. How smart is he, and what is he capable of? You make sure to speak loudly.

“I wanted to see what you would do.” He pauses, motionless, deliberating. “You and I have something in common. I am haunted. Now, you are also.”

“Yeah. I've disrespected Velika's memory, if that's what you mean. But haven't you done the same thing?” You ask. “You made a bunch of dolls—imitations. How's that for honoring the past?”

“Could you, in good faith, believe a world so idyllic was ever meant to change? Is it reasonable, for all we care about to be taken from us in a moment?” A mound pushes out of the surface of the hardened clay wall nearby, and you shy away from it as it slowly takes the shape and color of a man—before melting into the earth below. “I believed artifice could create anything. But too late, I realized that even with the higher elements at my disposal, it could create only in imitation. Even with the essence of Life between my fingertips, I could not give this world life again. You and I are condemned. My curse is now yours, and you will never be free.”

“I'm not so sure.”

“You want to revive your dead, do you not? There is a boy among you who believes there is no greater purpose.” Kjorikos begins to draw a circle of flames in the air, and you stand ready to move. “You will come to see that loss is reality, no matter what strength you possess.”

> [[ Continued ]]
>>
Rolled 26 (1d100)

>>44275546
let's find out.
>>
>>44275044

> [[ 43 ]]

The violet fire marches towards you slowly, and you dive to one side, circling around him. You have to keep moving—the projectile is chasing you, as Kjorikos turns and watches. Too late, you see why; a hand from beneath the earth catches your ankle, and you're suddenly bathed in fire.

> [[ HP: 21 / 35 ]]

Like the Obsidian Pegasus's attack, it feels cold. You're surrounded by white light, and tendrils of ice creep across the inside of your skull. Bastard sword in hand, you swing downward to cut yourself free from the appendage, and continue your stride, minimizing contact with the earth.

His movements are minimal. No opportunity looks superior to another, and you move inside, taking a swing. He lowers himself a bit, deflecting your blade with the back of his armored gauntlet, then levitates a few feet backwards, the clay wall behind him sinking back into the earth. No damage, it seems—but it's all you needed, as red rings encircle your body. Haste.

“Ascheritte!” You hear movement in the woods behind you. The party's coming to join. Time slows, or your reflexes speed up, and you brandish your weapon, which leaves afterimages in the air.

> Move back to meet the party.
> All-out attack. Lead the charge against the Artificer.
> Write-in.
>>
>>44275574
Use an intense and rapid flurry of blows, give him no time to attack our teammates as they get into position.
>>
>>44275574
>"Do we really have to fight? You say I'm condemned, but what if there's a third option for both of us?"
>>
>>44275574
>>44275600
this is a boss fight faget
>>
>>44275574
>>
>>44275574

>>44275600
I'm not completely opposed to this, but we might need to rough him up a bit first.
>>
>>44275574
here's hoping our rolls are pure shit again
>>
>>44275574
>Revive the dead? Not quite, considering they're not actually dead. Just...reuniting old friends, to face this broken world together. Is that so wrong?
>Move back to meet the party.
>>
>>44275617
It's also a narrative based game, and they devoted a lot of energy to programming this guy's AI.

That being said, while I don't doubt that there IS a way to talk our way out of this, I don't think we remember enough of the clues to be able to do so this time around.
>>
>>44275660
aren't*
FUCK
>>
>>44275574
"The dead huh? They seemed pretty ambulatory and self-aware to me, all they're missing is a handful of fancy cantrips, is that really all a soul boils down to?"
>>
>>44275712
what are you even talking about anon?
>>
>>44275724
the people who lost their ID
>>
>>44275724
This guy is equating the players who lost their ID to the dead, and I guess it could be seen as them being revenants of a sort, empty shells who can rise from the Earth in a cursed half-existence. But the IDs themselves don't seem all that impressive.
>>
>>44275779
That reminds me, I wonder what would happen if a player sacrifices -their own- ID to the altar.
>>
>>44275835
I think that shit is equip-locked.
>>
>>44275617
>>44275620
>>44275641
>>44275660

He's buffeted with caster fire from somewhere in the woods, and raises his arms to shield himself, preparing another attack. That must be the opening. You charge forward, still adhering to the strategy of avoiding contact with the earth where possible. Where a pillar emerged previously, a tree is tilted at an angle between the two of you, and you springboard off of it as you close the distance at incredible speed; not even a levitating target is safe from you.

Your first strike is from overhead, with two hands, and he blocks it with his own armored palms. You remember—this is the mistake you made when you faced off with Anaximander. But you were slower then. You pull away, the tip of your blade leaving a crescent of flames in the air as you circle back for an upward strike.

It hits, solid but shallow; you see flecks of rust loosed from the impact site as he increases his own speed, coming to a landing a few feet away from you.

“Stay off the ground whenever you can!” You shout. Kainzo and Tatsumaki are catching up, in time for the Artificer's next flurry. Violet orbs flicker into existence in an arc over his head, twisting for a moment before unleashing a flurry of lightning bolts at you and the group further behind. You hear a shout from somewhere over your shoulder, but can't give up an inch.

“Ashe, go straight ahead!” Kainzo lands at your side, having caught up from behind. You heed the command, and he extends his free hand as he lands, casting an enormous, translucent scarlet barrier between you and the Artificer. The next salvo of bolts is deflected off, leaving spiderweb cracks in the barrier like glass.

From overhead, Eunoia lands on your shoulder, whistling gravely.

> [[ HP: 22 / 35 ]]

How far does this place go? You're running out of time with Haste.

> [[ 1d100 ]]
>>
Rolled 52 (1d100)

>>44275886
>>
Rolled 26 (1d100)

>>44275886
>>
Rolled 68 (1d100)

>>44275886
good roll?
>>
>>44275904
>>44275907
>>44275913
This is fucking bullshit.
>>
MEDIOCRE!
>>
>>44275925
I dunno, 68 isn't absolutely awful.
>>
>>44275939
We'll be killed in this fight for sure if our rolls don't improve though.
>>
Rolled 24 (1d100)

>>44275960
warmin up muh dice for next time then
>>
>>44275913
> [[ 68 ]]

“Tatsumaki! Ascheritte! Get ready!” Kainzo shouts. “Barrier's going down in three, two...!”

Kjorikos lands—with incredible force that belies his lightweight appearance—and prepares to stand his ground. That's fine. You wanted more time to attack anyway.

Tatsumaki speeds up, reaching him first. She rises up from his side, throwing a number of lightning-quick jabs. Light punches hit home, striking the side of his chest, and she reels back for a haymaker; the Artificer displays a surprising martial prowess, or at least overwhelming strength, as he catches her by the wrist and guides her into a take-down that sends her rag-doll bouncing at least ten feet through the knee-high grass. He chases the technique with a bolt of lightning; you don't see if it hits, but merely hope it didn't.

You and Kainzo arrive simultaneously. His swing speed is noticeably slower than yours, and you time your strikes with his to minimize the Artificer's ability to dodge. A horizontal swing from the Crimson Guardian; the Artificer ducks low, falling to one knee to avoid it, but doesn't have enough time to counterattack him before you go for a combination. Your blade looses more rust from his armor, then, leaves a deep gash across his mask, sparking as it does. But pulling a hand through empty air, Kjorikos draws an enormous sword—a withering, sparking lance of violet energy—and swings it in a wide horizontal arc, forcing you and Kainzo to the ground as every tree surrounding you is cut down, beginning to slowly fall inward.

“Out with you.” A cloud begins to collect over the clearing, lightning crackling within. “Perhaps you'll thank me for this, Ascheritte."

> [[ Continued ]]
>>
>>44276409

“Kainzo! Barrier back up, now!” You hear Nel shout, and see his form silhouetted in the purple light overhead as he leaps toward Kjorikos from behind. The Artificer turns, appearing briefly nonplussed, as Nel lands feet first on his chest, grabbing him by the head. There's a distinct pause before Kjorikos grabs him, throwing him aside in a dusting of indigo flames with a single gauntleted hand.

Kainzo raises his barrier, shielding the two of you in time for an enormous explosion of force and wild, coiling energy to erupt from the Artificer's direction—you hear Kjorikos grunt, in what sounds like pain, and see his silhouette levitate deeper into the woods, chased away by more caster fire from outside the clearing.

“Huh.” Kainzo says, dusting himself off as the barrier dissipates. “Kid planted one of Ayla's bombs.”

> [[ HP: 23 / 35 ]]

Nel and Tatsumaki join you, looking pretty badly beaten up already. You see the others pulling themselves over the downed trees to meet up with you in the clearing. Eunoia leaves your shoulder to reunite with Aelriss.

“Damnit, he's too quick.” Donnel pants.

“We've got to go after him.” Andor replies.

“No deal. I was ahead of you guys for a while.” Nel says. “He's leading us toward a cliff. This place empties into a proper abyss.”

“So, what do we do?” Aelriss says. “I mean, if we corner him, we'll actually be able to attack him all at once.”

“But he's got no problem attacking all of us at once.” Kainzo says, then examines a faintly-glowing bracer around his left wrist. “Bastion is down for five minutes this time. I think we're gonna have to find a way to lure him into another clearing. Somewhere we've got cover.”

“Uh huh.” Vyx says. “You have any ideas as to how we're going to lure him out? He practically controls the weather in here.”

> Suggest engaging him against the cliff.
> Suggest an alternate course of action. (Write-in.)
> Other.
>>
>>44276436
Let's play hide-and-seek in the woods. Not ideal for our melees, but more than good enough for Vyx and Andor, I think, since both of them are ranged. Besides, even if he attempts to lure us to the cliff, it doesn't mean we have to follow.
>>
>>44276436
Drink a lesser healing potion. If the others can distract him for a bit, we can build up so momentum with a dead sprint towards him and use a concussive strike, kind of like what we did with our meteor move during the last boss fight. I'm not sure how we could lure him out though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.