[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to be starting an only war campaign here soon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
I'm going to be starting an only war campaign here soon the players have asked to fight tyranids on a forge world. Which is easy enough. What I'd like help with is mission complications. Here are some I have so far:

-squad finds civilian survivors in no-mans-land, upon radioing back they are told there are no civilians according to reports, and to ensure that remains correct.
-arch magos has squad assist in rounding up live tyranids, infected humans and the like for research purposes.

I'd like more little events like that to help spice up the campaign, though any advice on how to describe and portray a forge world as a GM would be appreciated (I have basic knowledge of what they are, but not much of an idea what they are like from the ground)
>>
Threads like these catch only dust, while catboys threads literally burn with responses.

Fucking faggots.

Also, curious bump
>>
Forge World? How about stopping some power reactor from going critical an blowing up half a town? Extract a Techpriest who is very important? Have the group hijack a tank for a bit? Or have them tasked with killing a specific tyranid to make a group go feral?

Forge Worlds, like any world in 40k is ultimately up to you, but generally they are controlled by the Techpriest and have massive production complexes. Picture NYC dedicated to producing ONE part of one thing, well Chicago makes another. Generally think along the lines of an industrial complex in China, but huge. Again though the world is mostly up to you to make
>>
>>44260876
War profiteering, desertion, various shades of crimes and war crimes. People doing horrible things just for a bite to eat or just to survive another day. People in power doing whatever they can to hold on to that power, or at least hold a semblance of power when everything is falling apart. People so stuck in denial they go about their routine as if nothing is wrong (refusing to evacuate, demanding and collecting taxes, enforcing no-assembly and refusing to let people/refugees pass through private property or squat on public property, etc.

Go watch a few war movies, and I don't mean shit like Saving Private Ryan. Watch some foreign ones so you get some idea of bad shit that happens.

Go watch some war movies, I guess?
>>
*affix
>>
>>44260876
>I'm going to be starting an only war campaign here soon the players have asked to fight tyranids on a forge world.

>Which is easy enough.

>Tyranids.

>Easy

What the fuck are you, all psykers?
>>
File: 108564[1].jpg (609 KB, 833x1078) Image search: [Google]
108564[1].jpg
609 KB, 833x1078
>>44261218
>Threads like these catch only dust, while catboys threads literally burn with responses.

I have a suggestion: First, give your thread a title. It might not seem like much, but it makes a difference for visibility and makes it easier to know what the thread is about at a glance.

Second, get a proper thread image that is associated with whatever the hell the thread is supposed to be about. In this case, while yeah, it has to do with the Imperial Guard, if you'd had an Only War cover, people interested in Only War might actually catch it easier.

I actually scrolled past the thread and didn't even check the OP.

As for suggestions:

>you run out of ammunition, something that should be very possible in a game of Only War if done properly; when they reach the airdrop point for resupply, the ammo either isn't enough for the squad/group, or it's the wrong ammo entirely, or just blankets, or something they can use, just not what they need (rations, smoke grenades, maybe camo-cloaks, even, or a modular shelter).

>they stumble upon a xenos artefact. It could be a necron pillar or an inactive eldar webway gate. If they're smart, they freak out. If they're dumb, they'll investigate. This might actually get them killed by their own superiors, if done properly, teaching an important lesson about the universe.

>squad goes through the entire mission successfully, until they call in for a bombing raid and nothing happens. They are in the wrong place entirely and they have no idea why. They've raided the wrong base, they've attacked the wrong trenches, and they're in a really shit place once they figure it out (either by getting to an enemy ops center, or by succeeding on Navigate (Surface). If they've been using Navigate (Surface) successfully before this, you could drop hints that would suggest this beforehand, without changing the outcome. If they haven't been doing that continuously, this makes a good point to them.
>>
>>44261218
>while catboys threads literally burn with responses.

/tg/ has been infested with faggots for a while now
>>
>Infiltrate a tyranid-infested site and recover a piece of technology that can kickstart the imperium-held laspack factory. Complete this and enjoy extra lasgun ammo for the next mission. Fail, and they get fewer packs than regular as ammo rationing sets in.

>See this big ugly motherhumper we've spotted in from orbital surveillance taking out an entire armored column? Go hunt it down and fuck it's day up something fierce. Quartermaster tells me he's all out of ordinance so you'll have to procure on site.
>>
>>44260876
>fight tyranids on a forge world
> Not being sent to find a lost titan, finding it and riding it back home through a sea of gaunt while, shooting gargoyles trying to get on it.
Wait no, that would be for Deathwatch.
>>
>>44261798
I think he means the premise, not the challenge they'll have in doing it.
>>
hey my thread is still going, yay!

>>44261417
I was mostly gonna base it off the forge worlds from the dawn of war 2 and space marine games, but this helps.

>>44261455
I shall que up starship troopers and enemy at the gates to repeat for the next couple days

>>44261798
Flying psychic ogryns in power armor dual wielding powerfists

>>44261861
I'll keep the thread stuff in mind for next time, I kinda lurk here more than actually post <.<

and ammo can be important when fighting tyranids... oo, and a research facility which tried to experiment on a zonethrope. That sounds like fun (for me).

Also... enemy ops center? Do they walk in on a half dozen hive tyrants squatting over a map?

>>44264880
That level of awesome is above what is allowable for guardsmen. Any guardsmen attempting to do so will be shot for taking the spotlight off of space marines. (Case law: Ollanius Pius v. Horus, 014.M31)
>>
>>44261218

Because you suck at formatting posts.
>>
>>44260876
>complications.
I have a chart like that for sci-fi settings, I can give you the relevant ones if you wish so.
What do you prefer, campaign complications/sidequests (one session) or mission complications/random encounters (one scene) ?

I remember that 2nd ed. tyranids codex had a hive mind phenomenons rolls. The only result I remind is "Johns is acting weird", where one of your figs had a "nid parasite controlling him/bursting out of his chest. Try that on one of the battle buddy of the characters.
>>
>>44260876
>Squad hears scary sounds coming from old furnace
>told to start it by magos
>they can open it and have 50/50 chance of nids or civillians in there

>squad crawling through old barracks
>find fresh bodies
>look like they were shot, not eaten
>gangers ambush them for their MREs and weapons

>ship full of civillians about to evac
>evidence that one of them might be a genestealer in disguise
>either kill them all to find out or let them go and risk the nids spreading

>squad told to hold a line at all costs
>suddenly civillians aproach, say that they are fleeing from nid army
>command says let no one past
>either disobey orders to save civs, or let them be slaughtered and feed nids

>party stumbles upon ork spores in deep bunker
>command says to leave them as they are not priority
>disrespect orders to avoid ork encounter later on, or follow orders and accept ork shenanigans

>Party tasked with calling in artillery strike on anything that moves in target area
>civillians in target area

You can make it REALLY grimdark if you want to.
>>
>Get paradropped on location team is supposed to infiltrate
>entirely wrong location of the wrong side of the factory
>command is mad as fuck and demands squad to work it out themselves before the shelling starts

>Two regiments of IG on the same planet
>squad serves one of them directly, not the other one
>other regiments begins to light up on objective that team was supposed to infiltrate
>no comms with other regiment

>Team tasked with securing fuel supply line
>if they fail their transport vehicle of choice will run out of gas on the next mission in the most precarious situation

>Plasma reactor core has gone bad and is irradiating part of the map
>team tasked with crossing the irradiated wastes
>You sit down with a stopwatch
>For every minute they are in the zone one of them received a random gift of Nurgle

>If a teammate get's hit the squad can call in casevac if they are on the good side of the commander
>if the area is not safe there is a very high chance that the casevac Valkyrie will get shot down on ingress/egress
>command will hate them for this

>Children follow the team around
>if the party approaches them nids jump out of the rubble and attack
>turns out the kids were mind-controlled by the hive-mind to be guardsman bait

>Team of grey knights pinned down somewhere
>team can save them and be in danger of getting killed for knowing about them, or not save them and receive no aid from them in the future

>Engineer pinned down somewhere, team can save him and get flak from command, or leave him to die and receive no aid from him in the future

>ordo xenos inqisitor gone mad and executuing random guardsmen because he thinks that they are xenos in disguise
>party can kill him or let him kill the guardsmen
>>
File: image.jpg (254 KB, 1063x752) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254 KB, 1063x752
>>44260876

Sounds like fun OP, I'd love to GM that.
Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

A player gets trapped in place when he/she accidentally activates a booby trapped "____". Move and die, etc.

A factory making counterfeit gear for the IG is discovered. Sub-par material, faulty munitions, etc.. Is being sold to the same forces defending the planet.

The players find a beacon typically used by SoB, Inquisition, Assassins, etc. Why is it here? Was it modified to attract a tendril from the hivefleet.

The players come across a very rare and valuable piece of tech that rightfully belongs to an NPC that previously helped them. Return it or keep it? Consequences either way. Maybe it'll help stop the Nids, maybe it wont.

They uncover a plot to take over the nearest Forgeworld to this one - as its about to be overrun by Nids. An entire army of Automatons hidden on a moonbase is staging for war. Warn the innocents, sabotage the war preparations, diplomacy?

In a densely packed, hevily industrialized sector, they find a tiny pocket of lush foliage with a clear spring bubling up, a small lot of woods, and wildlife. What the hell?
>>
>>44260876
Early in the campaign forces are evacuating worker groups, but some of them are genestealer cults that will attack the Imperial forces so you have to use a doohickey to figure out which is which before the oncoming tyranids eat you.

You gotta save this forge because of this macguffin, chase the 'nids out

You gotta get this forge reactivated so the Titan group inside can get out

You're clearing out guys in the dregs of the forge, but you can cause environmental shit like stuffing pipelines full of waste to kill the 'nids

Forgeworlds are really choked with pollution, and the populations are more factory workers than civilians. If you've played Space Marine you'd get a good impression
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.