[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would campaigning in a setting where a world's oceans are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: CU2.jpg (36 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CU2.jpg
36 KB, 600x450
Would campaigning in a setting where a world's oceans are turned into forests be a good idea?
>>
>>44260656
No
Where the fuck did the water go
>>
File: scream-o-vision.jpg (4 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
scream-o-vision.jpg
4 KB, 480x360
>>44260656
>What if all the oceans in the world...TURNED TO WOOD!
>>
>>44260656
By turned into do you mean "one fucking day *poof* no more ocean" or something like there just never were giant bodies of water, only fuckhuge forests?

I don't really see any reason either couldn't work though aside from the obvious "where did all the water go?" question
>>
>>44260688
>"where did all the water go?" question
Into the trees
>>
>>44260656

op also read that one tumblr post huh

I liked the idea too but it's a bit too out there for me. Working on a setting atm w/ a much more toned down version, a forest "sea" - basically a massive and deep as fuck canyon forest, with lots of spooky demons and monsters in it as you go down. It's a fun setting idea imo but explicitly starting it with "In a world, where everything is under wa- I mean trees..." is kinda lame.
>>
More interesting would be an entire forest and a sea turned into jade or some other (previously) precious metal. Guild Wars did it with its first expansion (Cantha or something) and I really digged the flavor.
>>
File: 22.webm (3 MB, 750x420) Image search: [Google]
22.webm
3 MB, 750x420
>>44260745
I like this idea.
>>
>>44260852
webm source? looks great
>>
If the party were in the middle of the ocean when it happened, that would be pretty rad.
>>
>>44260656
they did some sort of thing like this
http://www.worlddreambank.org/S/SIP.HTM

imagine aliens thinking about earth as a bowl of soup and they drink 90% of world water
>>
>>44260656
Well, it would really fuck up intercontinental shipping and the age of trains would make a huge comeback to fill the gap. Either that or giant cargo zeppelins.
>>
>>44260892
Looks like Azuras Wrath.
>>
>>44260688
Since no has posted it yet here is the original tumble.

http://lizardshuffle.tumblr.com/post/102995234889/iguanamouth-radglawr-methsnake-imagine-if

Basically rather than water around 'coastlines' you'd just get deeper and deeper forests where the trees would just get bigger and bigger until they were tress size of the skyscrapers blocking out the sun light for the people on the ground.

So you could in theory walk across the Atlantic forest from London to New York, but few would be brave to try. And they would be all sorts of undiscovered creatures living among the trees colossal does.

Literally having the ocean is your place with forests Is a little silly even for fastasy but I do like the general idea of civilisation existing on 'islands' such as mountains divided by dangerous unexplored valleys has a appeal to it.
>>
>>44260656
That is a lot of trees, which produce oxygen.
Which with trees is flammable.
I think country sized forest fires would be common.
>>
Did anyone else notice OP's picture is a book called The Forest written by a guy named Groot?
>>
>>44260656
Unlimited lumber! Wood has infinite uses and now we have infinite wood! Industry! Production! Capitalism!
>>
>>44262744
Really that's the main reason it doesn't work. We would constantly be cutting down the Oceanforest just as we would with regular trees on land unless the Lorax existed.
>>
>>44262634
I don't think trees have evolved the necessary biological infrastructure to get that big.

Like you know how there's a hard limit to the size of insects, because exoskeletons and shit?

I bet there's a hard limit to tree size too.

Just think about how expansive a tree's leaf network would have to be to support one going from the bottom of the mariana trench all the way to the "surface".

That tree's leaves would have to cover miles of the surface.

Also, structurally, it would have to be incredibly thick, and have a root network that extends basically everywhere.

Some more problems:

Plate tectonics would stop, both because no water lubrication, and fucking roots getting everywhere gumming it up further.

Carbon cycle we know and love stops because no plate tectonics. This may or may not be fixed with more trees, I don't fuckin know.

No rain cycle. There simply wouldn't be enough water on the planet to support all that tree life, let alone other species required for an interesting setting.

With no rain, trees would get increasingly dry, until a wildfire started and basically consumed the entire planet.
>>
With no oceans to provide rain, the forests couldn't survive in the first place.

Learn2sixthgradescienceclass
>>
>>44260684
What if...they gave Sinbad...his own TV show?!
>>
>>44260656
as over 80% of the worlds oxygen comes from the oceans scrubbing carbon dioxide from the air...and even that many tress cant keep up with the loss of the scrubbing..the world will slowly die as its choked out of oxygen
>>
File: 1420742512970.jpg (80 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1420742512970.jpg
80 KB, 720x479
>>44262834
You're forgetting magic, this is /tg/ after all
>>
>>44260656
Wouldn't the world's climate be all messed up without ocean water currents and without the heat sink effect that large bodies of water provide?
>>
File: rain.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rain.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
I have a worlbuilding question: What would a constantly overcast world look like? A world where it rains more often than not, and floods are not uncommon. I imagine everyone living there would be pale, and plants would be lush and green like in Washington State.
>>
>>44262375
Do you mean the video game? Because it doesn't look like a video game. Does it have anime cutscenes or something? I too would like to know the sauce.
>>
>>44263798
but trees convert carbon dioxide to oxygen too.
>>
>>44262834
We can explore the giant forests full of eldtritch horrors without you, Nerd!
>>
>>44260656
There wouldn't be enough water on the planet to sustain all those trees, dumbass.
>>
File: spedepasanen.jpg (6 KB, 196x223) Image search: [Google]
spedepasanen.jpg
6 KB, 196x223
>>44264547
>>
>>44264547
But what if all the land was water
>>
>>44264816

Your picture choice intrigues me.

>>44260656

Forests would die if salt is not handled well and enough water allowed to transfer for climate purposes. Honestly, I am not enough planet engineer to tell how that would be possible.

If you just want ridiculously sized forests to play with, you should probably go D&D and make up elemental plane of wood.
>>
>>44264249
The whole game is pretty much an anime with QTEs, that bit just has the prompts removed. Most of the game doesn't look like that though, only two DLC levels.
>>
>>44262834
Tell all that shit to the biggest living organism, Pando. See if he cares.
>>
>>44262634
The book in the OP is actually based on a short story on /r/writingprompts from ten months ago. Your tumblr post is from a month ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/2ueggh/wp_instead_of_oceans_they_are_all_big_forests/
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 498x295) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 498x295
>>44265409
What if...
>>
>>44264194
So basically England...
>>
>>44268599
shoouldn't there be a fuckhuge mountain range in the middle of the atlantic and right next to japan?
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 640x1040) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 640x1040
>>44268624
>>
Instead of magma, the core is made of water. There you go, no water scarcity.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 280x307) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 280x307
>>44268810
You really have to try hard these days to be a fool in the Internet. Congratulations.
>>
>>44270718
Forgive my lack of oceanography
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.