[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One-Shot Dungeon Ideas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Braum_Splash_3.jpg (459 KB, 1215x717) Image search: [Google]
Braum_Splash_3.jpg
459 KB, 1215x717
Hey guys I'm hopefully running a short 2-3 hour one shot of Dungeon World tomorrow just using the basic rules and classes, would you be able to help me with some fun ideas I could grab for a quick plot for some one shot action?
>>
Doesn't the game already kind of do something like that? Going around the table, getting bits of a scenario, and forming them together?

Have the party check out some spooky happenings in a graveyard, find the miners who were buried there can't rest their spirits, and when they go check out a mine they find a super scary enemy to fight.
>>
Look in the back of the book page 384 or so, the game calls it making fronts and the SRD does a much better job of explaning it than the book :http://book.dwgazetteer.com/fronts.html
In priciple, it is not magic or hard word, just logiacally linking creative elemets in a way that helps adventure and having fun.

Just think of some interesting group, faction or race,( maybe the merfolk civlization off the shore of the Grayocean, the centaur hordes, the pack of wervolves prowling the woods for victims, The mysterious gaunt peole of the lost civilization who emerged from the caves) or monster doing something interesting and go from there, Who are they? What do they want to accomplish? Wo do they serve?, How are they going about it? Who are their enemmies.?How do they impact the land and the kingdom around them? (Have they scared away the traders bring unrest and famine? Ore haw they become the object of worship for the cult that´s been gaining power?

Also, have a read through the gude, it will help you a ton when running the game.

I will also take the ooprtunity to ask a question that doesn´ t deserve a seperate thread:
How does the option "…and someone interferes with you, add its instinct to their roll" for the ranger move Command work? I get what it is for, your companion causing trouble for you at inopportune moments (l ike you dog getting startled, whimpering and giving you away whe you´re trying to be stealthy, or the pony squatting down and trying to roll overwhile you´re riding it) But do what roll do you add it, when enemies don´t make move rolls. To damege rolls?But every interfepence inconvinience like that can´t fictionally cause damage can it. Whai is that trying to to? Also for my own use, I modfied it to say " or take the [disadvantage stat] as a penalty to your own roll, as appropriate" to account for enemies not making move rolls. Does that make sense? Toughts?
>>
>>44253256
Also, excuse my typos, please. It is too freaking late for me to be mentally able to proofread posts
>>
>>44251687
>>44253256
Both of these are fantastic suggestions thank you both so much.

I'm using the miner idea and having them go to the mines to try to lay to rest the souls of miners who have all died down there after being killed and used as flesh golems by an insane necromancer thats doing it for kicks. He's an experimenter that just keeps doing weird stuff involving dark magic a bit like the Joker if he was into necromancy. SO maybe pushing a 'nemesis' type character for the party and possibly a recurring villain
>>
>>44253256

kek

I love how this "simple" game is so pretentiously written that it needs a fucking guidebook to be understood.
>>
>>44254754
Le meme :^)
>>
Also I think it's worth mentioning that the prep should be made so that you have something to throw to your players, but it'll bounce back and you get to spin of each other so don't overprep details that will get decided during play.

I think the best approach is to have a broad selection of general ideas. Sort of what the surrounding area looks like, who lives there, what they want from the players and each others, loot, monsters, traps, rumors, etc.

Probably also keep that stuff nearby, with maybe key words to help you get an idea of where to start if you get questions from a player about a detail.
>>
>>44254754
>>44256266
It actually is a problem. It would be the perfect introductory RPG otherwise.
>>
>>44258149

The guidebook is just tips and tricks for GMs new to PbtA systems, though. Everything in there can be sussed out through a careful reading of the core rules, but how many GMs do you know who carefully read the rules and run the system only when they 100% understand it?
>>
>>44259742
Dungeon World's main draw is it's rules lite easy of play. It's completely undermined by it's insisted on using obtuse game terms.
>>
>>44260954
>It's completely undermined by it's insisted on using obtuse game terms.

It uses the stock Apocalypse World terms for most things, except for the few things they've changed to work like D&D, in those cases it uses the D&D terms.

Renaming all the mechanics that don't work the way D&D does so that they use D&D terms might sate your autism, but it would actually increase confusion, not decrease it. Those terms are named the way they are for good reason.
>>
>>44261038
>Almost no one has play Apocalypse world
>EVERYONE has played every one has played DnD.

Either way even if you don't use Dnd terms, the terms they choose to use are needless verbose.
>>
>>44256335
Thanks anon I'll keep that in mind
>>
File: 1340284856186.png (708 KB, 864x628) Image search: [Google]
1340284856186.png
708 KB, 864x628
Bump
>>
>>44260954
Why do you think the DW terms are obtuse? Bonus/penalty forward and ongoing are easy, Forward means "applies the next time the condition happens and then goes away" . While ongoing means ,"applies as long as you meet the condition." It´s not really clear, especially fowad, but you can get used to that. Hold is very simple and elegant design-wise, except it bothers me how the rules use it as both a verb( on a 10+ hold 3) and a noun (spend your hold to do an actionú in close succesion.
What you have a point on , is the deiffrence between move as in motion and move as in character abillity and using it. Italicising it to make it clearer you´re talking abut a concrete action by a chracter and its results might help.
What else do you think might be complicated? I really dont see it.
>>
>>44264552

He probably thinks "Discern Realities" should be called "Look at stuff."
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.