[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-Chaos or "Good" Beastmen in Warhammer Fantasy? Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: XlgzWx7[1].png (1 MB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
XlgzWx7[1].png
1 MB, 800x585
Non-Chaos or "Good" Beastmen in Warhammer Fantasy?

Discuss.
>>
Beastmen of Sigmar? Sure, why not?
>>
Well beastmen are really just mutated humans, and since mutants can still be good, there's really no reason beastmen couldn't ally with the Empire, or worship "human" gods.

They might not appreciate the gesture but it would be interesting to see scores of beastmen summoning the powers of Sigmar and routing the forces of chaos.
>>
I see no opportunities in the Warhammer world for 'good' beastmen to exist.

Default 'naturally occurring' beastmen have a culture/religion whatever dedicated to tearing down the lawful races. A beastman with different ideas would be as popular as a hijab at a Donald Trump campaign.

Beastmen / mutants born of the peasant women in the villages that are left in the forest to die / get collected by wandering tribes are the same. The best such wretches see of the milk of human kindness is being chucked out instead of being put on the chopping block because some peasant's too scared or won't go through with the dirty work.

Perhaps a hobby for a particularly zealous, well resourced individual? Wizards do crazy shit all the time, and many of the nobility have strange ideas... (but, why my lord, open yourself up to risking having your lands seized and being burned at the stake for a chance at teaching manners to a monstrous rape-baby demonspawn?)

If you stretch the conditions, then yeah, sure, you could have a one-off example. MI could see a tragic story of someone trying to teach a beast-monster to be man, reminiscent of Frankenstein or the Island of Dr Moreau. But the difference here is that the stuff flowing through Beastmen's veins amounts to magical atavistic evil. I'd like it if the story ended with the beastman 'experiemnt' going horribly badly after several seeming 'breakthroughs in the science of educating the savage beast'
>>
>>44249708
>Default 'naturally occurring' beastmen have a culture/religion whatever dedicated to tearing down the lawful races.

[citation needed]

>A beastman with different ideas would be as popular as a hijab at a Donald Trump campaign.

Doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Obviously the beastman in question wouldn't wear the hijab in public unless with other hijab-wearers, so to speak. Duh.
>>
>>44248514
They had them in 40k I think, so why not?
>>
>>44249708
>>44249757
Yes, good point, I hadn't considered that. Go ahead and make an army of hijab wearing beastmen who worship Sigmakka
>>
>>44249757
Mate, now you're just talking out of your ass. Most anything that >>44249708 wrote has been acknowledged canon for longer than most of the teenbeards on this board have had their first flimsy plumes of facial tuft around their throats.

Beastmen are mutants, with varying description of origin, but all of them somehow related to the radiation of chaos. What is an unshakeable fact is that all beastmen tribes worship chaos as the most primal force and view the civilisations of man as weakling anathemas to that very primal idea. For a beastmen warherd to emerge as sigmar- or order-worshipping among their fellow beastmen is about as bad fanfiction level as it gets. Believe me, I've written some really shitty fanfiction for WoW back in the day.

To answer >>44248514:
The classical WHFB setting seems highly unlikely to even absolutely impossible, see above. Their culture, or what goes for that for beastmen, is so heavily rooted in chaos as their prime directive, simply allows for barely any deviations. Such a warherd would be crushed by the massed opponents it would attract from neighbouring warherds.

HOWEVER, and I'm saying this because I'm really lenient here, an individual beastman mutant, discovered by a sorceror before another warherd, might take the baby in and try to educate it, much like >>44249708 described. Depending on whether it's a bray, an Ungor or a Gor, there would even be some amount of success, seeing how Ungors and especially brays 'might' pass for an actual human, both intellectually and physically. The 'Thrall-experiment' would however miserably fail, as Ungors and Brays virtually and literally get eaten alive by Gors and Bestigors if they muck around. You could never reintroduce an Ungor/Bray into a Warherd with "superior tactical knowledge" and have him outsmart his opponents until he reached the top. He would simply be smashed and hacked to pieces before he even uttered his challenge.
>>
>>44249817
The approach in 40k is entirely different from what the Beastmen represent in FB. In 40k the Beastmen have been introduced counting as abhumans, like Ogryn, Ratlings and Squats, being far more mutated but also far more simple, basically anthropomorphised animals. If they were simple enough to "peacefully" enter compliance, then there would be efforts to indoctrinate them into believing their very existence was sinful and the only redemption was to die for the Emperor.

In FB, Beastmen have a quite developed history as pariah-folk, which has been at war with Wood Elves, the Empire, Bretonnia and about anybody close to forests inhabited by a warherd and of course, eachother. A single warherd could never emerge as sigmarite or order-abiding and not be crushed by animosity of other warherds, as well as there would be no trust from the civilisations of man.

There's no way there would be any acceptance from the Empire's forces to join with a bunch of mutants that claim to be "order abiding"
>>
Beastmen = Children of Chaos.

From the 2003 Army Book: "Beastmen where created half man, half animal, wholly Chaotic".

I think that's all there is to it really.
>>
>>44250069
>Beastmen are mutants

Nopers. Beastmen proper are a separate race. They are often backed by mutants, but they are a discrete species in the Warhammer setting.

They are definitely touched by Chaos as a species, though.

>>44248514
There are a few examples of, at least humane beastmen in the setting - the Beastwoman who tries to return a baby in Trollslayer is the first example that comes to mind.

Otherwise I think the closest you'd come would be Beastmen who worshipped Chaos Undivided and followed a isolationist world view of might-makes-right. Small communities that keep to themselves where the strongest rule.
>>
>>44250763
>Beastmen proper are a separate race. They are often backed by mutants, but they are a discrete species in the Warhammer setting.

Wrong, they're the result of mutation and/or rape and mutants being put out into the woods and whatnot. Learn2Lore.
>>
>>44250763
>Beastmen proper are a separate race
Maybe they can breed true and I think that's implied and a safe assumption.

But the only 2 accounts we have of Beastmen being created/born is when they first came about by being mutated from humans and secondly when livestock (and hinted at women) are raped by a passing beastmen warherd and then babby beastmen come about.
>>
>>44250069
>What is an unshakeable fact is that all beastmen tribes worship chaos as the most primal force and view the civilisations of man as weakling anathemas to that very primal idea.

What if a beastman warband were to turn to worshiping human gods after watching the host of the Everchosen broken and routed after attempting to overthrow the civilized lands. Civilization and order and all that is supposed to make you a simpering weakling, yet the Empire just took everything the Dark Gods could throw at it and threw it right back. Clearly the prancing little faggots are doing something right, so why not try playing it their way?
>>
>>44253754
>Civilization and order and all that is supposed to make you a simpering weakling, yet the Empire just took everything the Dark Gods could throw at it and threw it right back. Clearly the prancing little faggots are doing something right, so why not try playing it their way?

I could see them aping the Empire in a way, following this logic, but in an undeniably twisted and chaotic way.
>>
>>44254820
>I could see them aping the Empire in a way, following this logic, but in an undeniably twisted and chaotic way.
That'd be a pretty neat idea for an armies theme. Like perhaps they'd start trying to learn and build their own firearms (boomsticks) and it's seen as an immense social status symbol to both own and use one.

It'd probably end up with units of gun toting bestigors with looted rifles and shotguns and cannons being carried around by chariot or minotaurs, all sporting wide hats with flamboyant feathers sticking out of them.
>>
File: Oath.jpg (94 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Oath.jpg
94 KB, 250x250
>>44254820
>beasts
>ape the Empire

Oh, you!
>>
>>44248514

It makes more sense for beastmen to be a neutral faction a la Wood Elves than it does for them to be these evil, bloodthirsty hordes of Chaos.

But straight up good/holy beastmen makes the least amount of sense of all unless you're in an Egyptian setting or something.
>>
>>44257386
>It makes more sense for beastmen to be a neutral faction a la Wood Elves than it does for them to be these evil, bloodthirsty hordes of Chaos.
>wood elves
>neutral
>beastmen
>not spawn of chaos

literally what
>>
>>44257657

Wood Elves started out neutral and weren't a force of good until very recently. You know, since they're based on WOOD ELVES WHO ARE NEUTRAL.

Seriously how are you on /tg/ and don't even know this shit? Forest/druid/nature/etc is always neutral.
>>
>>44257748
>being this retarded
ok

GW wood elves were never neutral, just isolated
>>
>>44251637

I think livestock themselves can also become Beastmen, in the End Times a ritual was done to even further weaken the Empire by turning their livestock against them.
>>
>>44257889
>GW wood elves were never neutral, just isolated

Bullshit. GW Wood Elves were always neutral, and easily bigger dicks than even the High Elves, but without being openly malevolent like the Dark Elves.

The division High/Wood/Dark has always been Good/Neutral/Evil. Wood elves are the elves that didn't leave the Old World, and have been dicking around human forests like assholes and defending ancient sites with no regard for other races since forever.

And let's not forget the whole "establish a religion of peace in Bretonnia" either. Proxy Wars: Elven Bogaloo II.
>>
>>44258202

Some of the Wood Elves came from Ulthuan as well.

As of the End Times, they're no longer responsible for the Lady.
>>
>>44258248
>Some of the Wood Elves came from Ulthuan as well.
Well, yeah, but they are the ones that didn't leave the old world.

>As of the End Times, they're no longer responsible for the Lady.
Who gives a fuck about the End Times?
>>
>>44257889

It's even in their 1d4chan article. Yeah I know "1d4chan" but you're even more ignorant than the morons writing 1d4chan so what does that tell you?
>>
>>44258964
>Yeah I know "1d4chan"

1d4chan is awesome, what are you talking about? The most amazing thing is that 1d4chan tends to capture important nuances more serious places would glance over in the interest of neutrality or clarity.

The saddest thing is that the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay article is absolute shit.
>>
>>44249708
DA MILK OF HOOMAN KINDNESS.
>>
>>44263641
Is it bestiality if it's a beastman?

I mean, reeaaaally?

We all know what milk we're talking about.
>>
>>44258964
>It's even in their 1d4chan article.
When has 1d4chan been right about anything?
>>
>>44264716
>When has 1d4chan been right about anything?
When has 1d4chan been wrong about anything?
>>
>>44250232

In 40k beastmen "breed true" (that is, beastman + beastman = beastman) so they strictly speaking aren't mutants.

That being said, in my headcannon abhuman acceptability goes something like this:

Squ----CONNECTION LOST----
Ogryns
Ratlings
Beastmen

Most imperials are probably going to tolerate Ogryns at best, anything lower is risky as fuck. And a beastman or his companions are going to basically be flamer-bait for every Redemptionist you come across (more so than the PCs usually are, I mean).

Not sure where Felinids fit in. Probably below ratlings. Fucking catgirls, by The Throne, what is this continuity coming to...
>>
>>44264839
Those are all abhumans, though, specifically not mutants or beastmen, in 40k, as opposed to what they are in Fantasy.

Similarly, Squats in 40k are abhuman, and thus a human subspecies, whereas in Fantasy, they're a distinct species entirely, and one of the elder races.

Same goes for Ogryn/Ogres, as far as I'm aware, but I could be wrong.

Felinids would just be another breed of beastmen in Fantasy. I think it's sad we only ever really see the "bulls"; Ind should have lots of tzeentchite cat-like beastmen and so on.

And the beastmen from the south pole warp vortex are called "true" beastmen because they are spawned from animals entirely; basically animals crossed with other animals, influenced by chaos, whereas Old World beastmen are almost entirely based on human/animal hybrids of various kinds.

Either way, they probably "breed true". Either that, or they actually require humans to procreate, which is a pretty horrifying prospect.
>>
File: 27658682.jpg (183 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
27658682.jpg
183 KB, 500x395
>>44264956

I'm not a WHFB guy (hence my 40k-posting in a WH thread), but I do remember reading one of the WFRP books (guide to the empire) with rainbow-dyed slaaneshi (ok Chrome, why the *fuck* do you know that word?...) beastmen.

So, yeah.
>>
>>44265095
Absolutely.

Slaangors are rainbow-dyed, pink, purple, and so on. "Radical" fur colours and hairstyles.

Tzeengors have "exotic" features, such as tiger stripes and leopard spots.

Khorngors are bronzen and copper, with red eyes and shit.

Pestigors are furless and/or diseased, with pale skin or mottled fur (or both).

I was mostly thinking that it would've been nice to see other kinds entirely, like Slaaneshi Beastmen that are mostly lizard- or snake-based, tzeentchites that are cats and dogs living together, khornite araby scorpion-beastmen, and nurgle.. I dunno.. beast-sloths or whatever.

Shit like that.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.