[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Friend been talking about running a Song of Ice and Fire campaign
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: 1388235922378.jpg (574 KB, 886x896) Image search: [Google]
1388235922378.jpg
574 KB, 886x896
Friend been talking about running a Song of Ice and Fire campaign with the Green Ronin RPG.

He does seem to get a bit salty when I whip up a character with the following stats:

Fighting: 6
Athletics: 6
Agility: 6
Endurance: 6
Awareness: 6
Cunning: 4
Will: 4
Survival: 3
Marksmanship: 3
Animal Handling: 2
Everything else: 1

Leftover 60 points to bump up either two of the 6s to 7, either of two of the 4s up to 5 or one up to 6.
Specialties would probably end up drumped on resilience and stamina.
Also picked Massive, Tough and Weapon Savant, then some shit like marked, threatening, mute or bastard drawbacks or some such shit to make the character even more wretched.

This is entirely possible to start off with an adult character.

The idea was to make a feral child dumped into a fighting pit and not let out until several years later when someone from the player house comes by and brings it along. Becomes extremely devoted to host family, sorta like a dog. I'm well aware with person will be socially retarded and unable to speak properly or function in civilized society without help.
Is this as gamebreaking as he fears it could be? Am I making pic related?
>>
shameless selfbump
>>
>>44234358
>Is this as gamebreaking as he fears it could be?
Not if he remembers to add a bunch of INTRIGUE and problems that can't be solved with direct combat, but then it will be less "Haha, xXFAGBALLSXx has a challenge!" and more "xXFAGBALLSXx has nothing to do here".

>Am I making pic related?
Yes, but it's easily fixed by giving up a couple points to add just a little variety, and then make sure you make xXFAGBALLSXx have some interesting traits and a sense of personal initiative outside of combat.

Otherwise you're just going to be sitting there fiddling with your dick until your trainer throws your pokeball onto the field.
>>
File: 8276578563.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
8276578563.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
With those stats you'd BTFO the mountain in the first second.
>>
>>44235407
>>44235661
So maybe tone it down a bit?
>>
>>44235794
Nah, keep going. Be the giantdad this shitty setting needs.
>>
Well, we had a character who did pretty much this. It sucked. A lot. Combat was trivial, and he just sat around and complained when there wasnt combat.

Don't be That Guy. Put some effort in making an interesting well rounded character because the game will be much more enjoyable played in that manner.

High numbers are great, you'll be rolling fist full of dice. Until the DM gets sick of your shit and starts throwing even mediocre social encounters specifically at the feral wunder child gladiator.

Do what you want I guess. Unless you get approval from the whole party and your DM to have a retarded combat savant swinging a greatsword around its going to make the whole thing a lot less fun, and what are RPG's about if not fun?
>>
>>44234358

Be aware that you aren't just locking yourself out of the majority of the game like I think you think you are.

You can be a god-tier swordsman, sure, but that doesn't mean you can go "nope, I never do intrigue, no-one will ever talk to me or manipulate me etc etc, I'll always have someone there to take that hit for me".

No, you just guaranteed you are going to be the first thing your GM throws an intrigue challenge at. The first time there's a party, a guy on the road, a fucking septon with shifty eyes, he's going to ask you what your Composure and Intrigue Defense is and then laugh for the next ten minutes as he your character is putty in the hands of any schmuck who can string a sentence together. A good GM within 20 minutes of seeing that character concept will have a way to have you murder someone you really shouldn't have.

Also be aware that Status 1 is really damn crippling in this game.
>>
>>44234358
Hodor is classified as having Will 1, Bran as having Athletics 1. In roleplaying terms, that is how bad a 1 is. So, let's see what abilities you have at 1...

>Deception
Your character is incapable of lying efficiently. Any attempt to say anything that isn't the clear, clean uncut truth should result in a dozen different tells. Sweating, fidgeting, stammering, the lot.
>Healing
Your character's ability to tend to any sort of wound is abysmal. This includes his own. Bandaging a wound results in a carpet burn, stitching is equivalent to stabbing the other person with a needle repeatedly and so on.
>Knowledge
Your character knows almost nothing. He will struggle to remember the capital of Westeros. He will likely give the wrong answer when asked to name the current king. He has serious problems with his memory, that make retaining any sort of knowledge a major issue.
>Persuasion
Others are thoroughly put off by his presence to the point where they sneer, look away in disgust or demand that he is not in the room when they deal with the rest of the party. He is an autistic mess constantly making a fool out of himself in any social situation.
>Status
Your character is literally on the level of smallfolk. You should only be allowed in any sort of noble hall for exceptional reasons.
>Stealth
Your character's footsteps thud, his voice is obnoxiously loud and there is no chance that he could ever conceive of doing anything subtly.
>Thievery
Your character does not know the meaning of handling something subtly. Whenever he is touching something he isn't meant to, it should be apparently obvious to everyone around him.
>Warfare
Your character cannot perceive combat on a large scale. The idea of 'formation' is beyond him and he's literally incapable of fighting in a unit. There's a high risk of friendly fire in large battles.

Your character should be as capable at Deception, Healing, Knowledge, Persuasion, Status, Stealth, Thievery and Warfare as Bran is at walking.
>>
>>44236119
That is actually a great point. Its less than a nerf herder, its practically at the level of a slave or slightly above a bandit. You have no rights to your name, nor ability to hold land, You could reasonably be peddled off as a curio to a passing merchant and you wouldn't even be able to stop it.
>>
>>44236144

To be fair, Bran and Hodor would both have Flaws and Drawbacks to represent their problems; Bran would actually have quite a high Agility and Athletics (he was a heck of a climber) hampered by those drawbacks. Hodor would have Cunning, Knowledge AND Will at 1, probably with some Flaws on there for good measure.
>>
>>44236208
But hey, he has massive and athletics 6 so damn, go him.
>>
>>44236180

It's not just that - Status is an ACTIVE skill too. It works like knowledge for notable individuals, meaning this guy is not going to know that he shouldn't piss off the Lannisters or think that Varys is totally trustworthy.
>>
>>44236032
>>44236119
I was thinking the social handicap would be of the fun and role play my combat autist accordingly.

If it's completely catastrophic I'll just make some big red headed noble bastard who's a decent fighter but also a drunken braggart. Hopefully someone to be named Flower to really match the uncouth behavior.
>>
>>44236208
>Having just 1 rank in an ability means you're deficient. Routine tasks are a challenge for you, requiring a bit of effort to achieve the things an ordinary person would take for granted. Generally, an ability at this rank is the result of some other physical or mental deficiency. For example, a character with Athletics 1 might have suffered a nasty injury, like Bran Stark's paralyzed lower extremities, while a character with Cunning 1 might be a simpleton like his friend Hodor.

Straight from the rule book. With stats like these, the character has to be some sort of obscenely clumsy individual with high level autism and long-term memory issues that border on dementia. We're talking about the sort of person that makes Raymond Babbitt look normal.
>>
>>44236293
Well your fun playing the handicap is up to you. This free's the party to make less combat focused characters, but you are trapped in your pokeball til your trainer says "aegis slash" and you go "AEEEGIS SLAAAASH"

Just make sure its fun for everyone by confirming everyone is cool with it. Your DM will quickly grow frustrated though given that he cant reasonably challenge you without killing the party en mass. You also don't scream "plot driven character" which is important in this setting.

Whatever man, have fun and tell us how it went. If we cant convince you otherwise at least we can profit from the disaster.
>>
>>44236144
>>44236365
Btw i dumped language too.
>>
>>44236293

>roleplay my combat autist accordingly

Here's the thing, though. "Good with a sword and not good with words" is only interesting when that character is CAPABLE OF INTERACTING WITH OTHER HUMANS. Your guy would be illiterate, probably sub-vocal unable to make any points..

Like, your character has Language 1. Davos, who can't read, has Language 2 (because you need Language 3 to be able to read). That's the level of communication is at, so far below normal as being illiterate is in normal society. But in Davos it's interesting because it highlights his social difference from the nobility and it serves to foster his relationship with Stannis' daughter, who teaches him.

Or look at Barristan. Best sword in the land, even in his old age. The guy Jaime Lannister still gets boners about when he thinks about how he does ripostes. The guy who would have Fighting 7 - maybe even 8 - but is an interesting character despite not actually using his sword all that much. Why? Because he's represents The Good Old Days, the rightful rule of kings, the knightly ideal. He's faintly tragic, one of the last relics of the previous regime, and yet he's heart-warming because of his loyalty and virtue.

Do you see the difference there between "I sword good" and "I sword good and am interesting character"?
>>
>>44236447
It's worth noting that even though illiteracy is an interesting handicap on davos, he's still able to communicate with other methods, such as verbally. And he's pretty good at it.

So interesting handicaps are great, so long as they don't completely remove the social aspect of the game.
As far as my advice to OP: Imagine you were playing Hodor. That's basically what you're signing yourself up for with this character. Probably fun for a session, but then people are going to get fucking sick of it.
>>
>>44236441
Then that means your character shouldn't understand anything more than simple sentences in Common and certainly can't speak anything but thoroughly broken Common. Contractions should confuse him, anything more than two syllables should be with "I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN" or something equally clipped or autistic.

You need to understand just how thoroughly this cripples the character. The Will doesn't do much to help in social situations either, it just makes the character stubborn and slows the inevitable convincing that someone else would perform on him.
>>
>>44234358
See >>44236144

Boost some of your other stats. Also, if you're going in as a balls to the wall melee guy, drop your Marksmanship a bit.

I can see him as being a Pit Fighter from Essos who was freed and swore a life debt to the Westoerosi Noble who helped him or something.
>>
Aight, I'll see about toning it down a bit. From what i can hell he could probably punch out a giant as is.
>>
>>44236539

>low will makes the character stubborn

Fuck no, HIGH will makes the character stubborn. Low will means this guy can't stick to anything and is super easy to make change his mind.
>>
>>44236642
He has above average will.
>>
>>44236631

My advice would be to take the "pit fighting baby" concept and maybe put that a little further into the character's past than it is currently. Have him be somewhat more adjusted and adapted to life outside the baby fight pits, but still kind of there in his head. Maybe play him as Bronn, the guy who fights to win instead of fighting fair - but still capable of doing things other than put swords into babies.
>>
>>44236642
He has Will 4, which is pretty good. But when his offensive social stats are all 1s, that just means that in social combat all he can do is wait to be eventually beaten.
>>
>>44236730
When does social action turn i to social combat exactly?
>>
>>44236767

It mostly depends on what that social interaction determines. There are three types of Intrigue (social combat), going from single rolls that are mostly like "talk your way into the bar" level things, then full intrigues which are more like "coax the secret out of the shifty merchant" and take longer, then there are ones that take multiple intrigues and that's like "secure a lasting alliance between your House and another".

Really only the middle and last ones are what you might call social combat (since they're the ones that use full intrigue rules, which are the same as the combat rules basically).
>>
>>44236767
When one characters wants something from another character that goes against that character's current objectives. Like, turning a nobleman's dim-witted bodyguard against him.
>>
>>44236032
>RPG's about if not fun?
/tg/
>>
>>44236631
Try and get at least Rank 2 in the other stuff.
>>
Question: Would Jaime Lannister have a Rank 5 in Fighting and a big bonus for swords? Because I've only ever heard him described as an amazing swordsman and never a great axeman or archer.
>>
>>44236962

Probably, yeah. He's never really mentioned as being great in any other context than swordfighting - like, I'm sure he's do well in a joust but not legendarily - so I'd probably say he'd be more specc'd towards it with Advantages more than just a base high Fighting skill. (Plus, he'd need a lot of XP to put into Status if you were making him as a character)
>>
>>44237050
Makes sense.

How long would someone have to train to achieve Rank 6 Fighting?
>>
>>44236962
Jaime Lannister likely has a high enough Fighting stat to get all three levels of Long Blade Fighter and that's it. He's one of the best swordsmen in Westeros, not the best fighter.
>>
>>44236032
Alternatively he could be Kharn the fucking Betrayer. The greatest warrior ever, with literally nobody able to rival his might. He can destroy entire formations by himself, and on the battlefield he appears to be a demigod among men. He exists purely for war, and is used as a weapon by nobles who are currently in control of him, and that is only as long as they are able to control his bloodlust.
>>
>>44237248
What would Barristan the Bold's Fighting be?
>>
>>44237248
So, three?
>>
>>44237248
>>44238139
That's Fighting 6.
>>
Can you take Blood of the First Men AND Blood of the Andals?

Because some people come from both lines.
>>
I just looked through the ASOIAF Campaign guide for comparisons.

While you're certainly initially better than The Mountain, he has a number of qualities that would let him rip you a new one if he used them. Take some qualities.
>>
File: med (1).jpg (15 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
med (1).jpg
15 KB, 207x200
>>44234358
> Am I making pic related?
I am unsure about xXFAGBALLXx, but this image also sums it well. Beware: You will be very very powerful in a very very narrow way.

This means you'll be useless for 80% of the stuff thrown at you, and the remaining 20% will be useless against you. Probably the most boring character ever.

Enjoy.
>>
>when someone uses your art for a thread

ohgosh~
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.