[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Ancient Red Dragon Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: ktcyfcprhlcb3aigqbf0.png (361 KB, 636x624) Image search: [Google]
ktcyfcprhlcb3aigqbf0.png
361 KB, 636x624
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Old Thread
>>44207190
>>
What books do you guys want to see for D&D in 2016?

I'd like to see a multiversal Planescape-like mega-adventure. Doesn't have to be Planescape per se, but something that's interdimensional and taking in classic lore would be cool.
>>
File: 100844333-3.jpg (271 KB, 1536x2360) Image search: [Google]
100844333-3.jpg
271 KB, 1536x2360
>>44230541
more flumphs
>>
>>44230652
There are no evil flumphs just as there are no good goblins.
>>
>>44230541
A campaign guide for a new setting fresh to 5e (I don't have my hopes up, maybe 2017).

Another Monster Manual.
>>
>>44230693

>A campaign guide for a new setting fresh to 5e (I don't have my hopes up, maybe 2017).

Fucking this.

Eberron works so well in 3.X because it was specifically designed with that system in mind. We need a setting that takes advantage of the simplistic mechanical aspects 5e... I just can't think of how.

Also agreed on the MM -- I've run through so much of it this past year and the APs don't give a whole lot in the way of new enemies.
>>
>>44230693
>A campaign guide for a new setting fresh to 5e (I don't have my hopes up, maybe 2017).

I haven't really thought about that before. I just always see people asking for old favorites to be brought forward (Dark Sun, Eberron, Ravenloft etc.)

This would be fucking sweet.
>>
>>44230746
Ironically, it's creator said it fit better in 4e
>>
>>44230746
The problem with this idea is that 5e appeals to nostalgia for Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms novels, Raven loft, etc. Making a new setting flies in yhe face of nostalgia appeal.

Also, 5e simplified and removed a lot of previous edition stuff, both crunch and fluff. Eberron was built on adding a lot new stuff.
>>
>>44230541
Dark sun and ravenloft setting books.
DMG 2 with loads and loads of optional rules.
>>
>>44231231
I was just thinking about that. The streamlined / simplified nature of 5e, although I love it, doesn't really lend itself to a lot of expansion that's not just fluff.
>>
>>44231725
>The streamlined / simplified nature of 5e, although I love it, doesn't really lend itself to a lot of expansion that's not just fluff.
Actually I feel that it does lend better to setting-specific expansion compared to heavier previous editions. You can add on a single layer of complexity using variant rules without making the entire thing crumble under its own weight.
>>
>>44230541
Sourcebooks. I need more options.

Also, more tables for wild magic, or a more chaotic version of the wild magic sorcerer, because the current table is far too tame.
>>
>>44230541
I just want simple shit:
New paths for the classes.
Like at least 3 good paths for ranger as if
Elemental domains for clerics.
Geanie origin for sorcerer.
Geanie patron for Warlock.
A more monk like fighter in terms of versatility and mobility.
Anti-druid shit, like the oathbreaker paladin.
Psions and Mystics.
A way of the 4 elements monk that works.
A cruzader/conqueror paladin, maybe taking some inspiration from the barbarian or some crazy shit like that.
Battlemaster bard, Battlemaster? You guys know, that class from 4e that was the partys coach.
A more cleric'y path for bard.
and more!
>>
>>44231972

>Battlemaster bard
I have only briefly played 4e, but doesn't the Lore bard or the Battlemaster Fighter, or the Rogue Mastermind already fill those rolls?
>>
>>44231972
Look kid, Im a seasoned player, some might even say that Im one of the best, if not the best, gamer this board has to offer. Dont believe me? I have over 300 hundred board games at my house, over a 100 at my arms reach right now. Card games? I got a deck for every possible combination of cards of M:tg, I even go to tournments and shit. No biggie. D&D? I'm proud to say that as a player I'm always the party leader, maxed as I can be and I'm not afraid of taking that extra edge that puts me ahead of enemies and allies alike. Hell, I got to get paid for having sex with hot girls and killing dragons with my expert builds. I like to shit on the GM one-directional adventures, by solving it with brains and brawl instead of one or the other, wether the party likes it or not. When Im the GM, Im proud to say that NO PARTY ever finished one of my adventures. Think you're gonna face some lazy sleepy goblins? Think again, they are fully trained comandos, that will attack and take full cover before you can do shit. Dont hate the player, hate the game. WH40K? Dont even get me started, kiddo, shit would blow your weaklings mind on how real it gets.
So when I tell you that what we currenty have is in no way enought even to pretend to be an optimum build, you better believe me. I would know.
I agree, we need more options, but honestly, fuck the flavor. I want to make my good old psionic nightmares and fuck over any GM that I cross paths with. I fucking failed at a skill im actually proficient at on my last session, that was total bullshit. The game they delivered is broken. And I'll fix it if I have to. One homebrew at a time.
Not using your ideas, though, they are shit. Geanies are fucking gay.
>>
>>44231873
I guess it's a pretty thin line then.

>>44231972
I agree with a Djinn or Arabian nights themed splat book.
New paths for everything would be awesome.
Would love a Blight Druid.
>>
>>44232067
I dont quite feel it with them, but yeah, maybe Im just not looking at the right angle.

>>44232101
>blight druid
Yeah, I imagine something like a defiler from darksun but on an everyday scenario, could be a BBEG or something, since it would probably be an """ npc option """.
>>
>>44230541
A book that Mike Mearls was kept far away from when it was being made.
>>
>>44231180
Buttmad 4rry detected. Avoid.
>>
>>44232091
OK but how long are your arms?
>>
>>44231972
Half of your suggestions are "class x, but with class y smashed into it."

This is why 3e and 4e got so bloated. Go back to one of those.
>>
>>44232180
Why do you use so fucking many quotes?

Kindly bash your skull in with your keyboard until you figure out how to use it.
>>
>>44232723
>eldritchknight
>fighter with mage
>ninja monk
>monk with rogue
>Battlebard
>bard with fighter
>Sworddancer
>wizard with fighter
I think I see the line witch anon is thinking, but yeah, all the 3 options he says are shit.
>>
>>44232753
>anon literally uses one quote
>why do you use som many quotes
>kill yourself

C'mon, Virt, you're not even trying anymore.
>>
>>44232753
>>44232803
>>44232833
thats a lot of quotations.

>>44232719
Anon, nooo!

>>44231972
I like the elemental and geanie ideas.
>>
>>44232803
Wait those are not actual names for the pat.... oooh.
>>
File: 1331640601430.jpg (716 KB, 995x1200) Image search: [Google]
1331640601430.jpg
716 KB, 995x1200
How do we make a hexblade class work?

Is it the impossible dream?
>>
>>44232979
What do you want a hexblade to do that you can't do with an Eldritch Knight, Valour Bard, Favoured Soul, Bladesinger or Bladelock?
>>
>>44232979
Hexblade like in 3.5 or like in 4e?
>>
>>44232753
>>
I can't seem to find any Sundering rules....help a someone out?
>>
>>44232979
Get the cantrips from Scag.
>>
>>44232803
The repeated one that continues to cause me butthurt is the fucking crusader Paladin.

Yes, we all know that the Paladins were Charlemagne's entourage, thanks for the fucking history lesson. In DnD, a Paladin fights evil because their oath demands it:
- Devotion: I fight evil so that good may flourish.
- Ancients: I fight evil because it threatens the world.
- Vengeance: I fight evil because honor/justice demands it must suffer.
- Crown: I fight maybe-evil because the king/my people/my nation/civilization itself requires it.

There is no reason you can't run a crusader as a devodin or vengadin, but paladins are protectors first: they protect people from the worst of the world. Even Vengeance paladins have making amends to those wronged as part and parcel to their oath.

There is nothing keeping you from playing a Fighter as a stab-happy god warrior. Or, really, from playing a barbarian as one. Or really any martial class, if all you want is to get mad and stab people.

Fuck your crusader.
>>
>>44232833
He meant quotation marks, you illiterate fuck:
>""" npc option """.
Move over, sjws: Virt is officially the new /tg/ bogeyman.
>>
>>44233143
>new
virt has been the bogeyman of DnD threads for ages.
>>
>>44233099
But Its not mine!

Oathbreakers are evil though.
I dont know what he meant with paladin + barbarian = crusader. As it is it makes no sense.
Dont get so mad about shit like this, otherwise you will get more and more like Virt and will be calling 5e D&Dnext in no time. Dont fall like that, anon.
>>
>>44233005
>>44233015
>>44232979

Houserules I've added to the Bladelock include:
-Pact weapon can serve as arcane focus
-Obtain Medium Armor proficiency at Level 3
-Removal of Thirsting Blade invocation--gain Extra Attack feature at Level 6 [like the Bladesinger / Valor Bard]

I've been toying around with giving them the same bonus to Concentration checks that Bladesingers get, ala "Add your Charisma modifier to Concentration checks"
>>
>>44233191
>Oathbreakers are evil though.
>Oathbreaker
>Oath Breaker
>Oath
>Breaker
>Broke his Oath
C'mon, anon.

Also, being admittedly butthurt about a stupid demand by uncreative fans and having undirected, irrational, seething hatred for an entire ruleset are not the same thing. ActualShithead is not here, and accusing anybody who calls someone an idiot on any board is gonna get fruitless real quick.
>>
While we're talking Paladins:

I kind of want to multiclass my Ancients paladin into Bladelock with an Archfey patron, and I'm kind of toying with the idea of letting my GM drop it on me unexpectedly as I'm leveling up, like through an encounter or just plain "Hey, these guys want you to work for them now." Or by only justifying a search for power (i.e, multiclassing) if the paladin's hometown is destroyed, levels be damned.

Is this a good idea?

>Note: I'm the RP-focusing weirdo from last thread. I did read on there about waiting until level 7 to multiclass being the best crunchwise. I'm just asking for some of you to weigh in.
And no, I won't be able to play a different system than 5e unless I GM it.
>>
>>44233312
B-but I didnt call anyone stupid!
It was not my intention!
>>
>>44233312
Oathbreakers are pretty much vanilla evil paladin.
But yeah, you are technically correct.
>>
>>44233370
Boo-hoo, go play a full warlock and see how it turns out.
>>
>>44233439
what?
>>
>>44233323
I suppose it depends on your Paladin. It might be a little goofy if you'd already sworn yourself to the Fey as part of your oath, but if it was a general "Praise Nature" oath, it's probably fine.

I had a player fluff his ancient Paladin going Feylock as him accepting the duty of serving as the mortal prison for an enemy of the summer court, and flavoring his warlock powers as the being within him fighting to escape.
>>
>>44233234
>Removing thirsting blade that comes at 5th level to get extra attack at 6th level
for what purpose a part from nerfing?
>>
>>44230416
Playing OotA.
What to do on the City of Blades?
>>
>>44232091

is this the hot new copypasta

or is this old pasta
>>
>>44233470

Free up an Invocation slot.
>>
>>44233485
Fuck and suck.
Maybe become a barbecue.
Fuck and suck.
I think I see a kangoroo
You will know what I mean when you get there.
>>
>>44233370
... He didn't accuse you of calling anyone stupid. He called the earlier guy who suggested "cruzaders" are barbarian paladins stupid.

English your first language, bud?
>>
>>44233005

Variant Human, Magic Initiate. Take Prestidigitation, Hex and 1 more cantrip.
Fighter, Eldritch Knight.

Wow you're a Hexblade, no homebrew needed.
>>
>>44233521
"old" pasta, but they use to follow the same line but be written differently, now we have this version, which always the same but the end.
>>
>>44233468
It's more of a "preserving nature and helping people" deal. I didn't give him the Folk Hero background for nothing.

Thanks for the input!
>>
>>44233411

I'm not that guy, but I am gonna disagree with you a bit here.

To an extent, you're right. The oathbreaker is essentially the "fallen paladin". But I think they did a decent job fighting against the idea that "fallen paladin" meant "turns Evil". There's a whole spectrum of oathbreaking that doesn't necessitate going Evil, or even Neutral (assuming the paladin was Good in the first place). In fact, most fallen paladins, I'd argue, stayed Good, because they were always *trying* to be Good, they just had a DM who liked fucking with their players.
>>
>>44233543
Yeah... I misread it and noticed it right after posting the reply.
I got anxious.
>>
>>44233622
Oh yeah, but they are also the template for the "Paladin gone bad'. So.... everyones right?
Is this really happening?
>>
What're your opinions on the Tunnel Fighter and Close Quarters Shooter fighting style?
>>
>>44233458
English motherfucker, do you speak it?
>>
>>44231972
>paths
They'll probably come
>ranger
The thing is, Ranger can't be good because it's a jack of all trades. Like Paladin, it shines when you only have a couple of players, like 3 or less.
>Clerics
Honestly surprised that wasn't in EE
>Genie
Be ready to wait, we'll get that when they do whatever 5th's version of Oriental Adventures is (which isn't any of the next three releases so at least two years off).
>monk like fighter
No, then there is no Monk
>Psions
Unlikely, people didn't like it in 2e, 3e, 3.5, and even is balance edition it felt weird. UA is probably the best we'll get for a while.
>path errata
maybe? unlikely?
>Hybrid classes
This is Multiclass edition man, there are almost no penalties more splicing in a level or two, especially for martials.
>>
>>44233622
I'm not sure, all the undead shit makes it seem pretty sinister.

My group's setting just calls the DMG Oathbreaker a Death Knight. We have a homebrew Oathbreaker implementation where the player and DM come up with features based on why they broke their oath.

DM figured if a PC wanted to play that kind of character arc, they probably have strong feelings as to why.
>>
>>44233651

They fit both. A paladin gone evil is most likely an Oathbreaker. A paladin who sacrificed upholding his oath because of a personal failing, but seeks redemption is an Oathbreaker. A paladin who forsook his order because he believes it corrupt, and lives as a hermit (like maybe Jolee Bindo), might also be an Oathbreaker.

Actually, I just checked, and the DMG does say that Oathbreakers are evil. Still, there may be room for using it without being full "I'M EVIL NOW"
>>
>>44233439
>>44233677
In this thread, Anon replies to the wrong post and generally looks like an ass
>>
>>44233684
>People didn't like the best and most balanced casters in 3e
Wut? the only two goods that 3e gave us were ToB and their Psionics. Anyone who shits on 3e psionics is clinically retarded.
>>
>>44233684
Paladin is in no way on the same level as ranger, but I see your point.

>next 3 releases
What are they? Ravenloft?
>>
>>44233757
We all win!

>>44233768
itt, senpai
>>
My personal warlock fixes is to extend their Mystic Arcanum downward for each spell slot level. I've also contemplated giving them one extra spell slot somewhere within the 9 levels they're stuck with only 2, and evening the progression toward 4 and 5 slots, but I'm not sure if that's too much and haven't had a chance to test it.

As for bladelocks in particular, I give them Thirsting Blade for free at 5th level and Lifedrinker at 12 for free as well.

I've also made an invocation that they can take at the 5th level that lets them summon armor of any kind alongside their pact weapon, and they're proficient with it as long as they're wearing it. Basically free plate but it solves the MAD and fighters/paladins get plate by then anyways.

This solves some of the problems in my experience without making them too strong. It mostly raises their utility and lets them feel like they can cast something other than Hex and Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>44233966
I miss those maxed builds that had psion level dips.
Not that I ever used them, I liked seeing people use them and smirk. Its like a good wine, you cant quite explain it.
>>
>>44233684
>Be ready to wait, we'll get that when they do whatever 5th's version of Oriental Adventures is (which isn't any of the next three releases so at least two years off).
Do we have names?
>>
>>44234108
>As for bladelocks in particular, I give them Thirsting Blade for free at 5th level and Lifedrinker at 12 for free as well.
What do the other Boons get at 5 and 12?
>>
Is it too far-fetched to cast plant growth over and over in order to make a tree become gigantic?
>>
>>44234096
>corrects someone unironically
>gets wordfiltered
Back to >>>/reddit/
>>
>>44234253
>not being a master of le eic
no, fuck this
>>
>>44234253
>implying I didnt write senpai
Dont worry, desu, you are already EMPEROR-onii-chan
>>
File: 1442000169372.png (55 KB, 290x275) Image search: [Google]
1442000169372.png
55 KB, 290x275
>>44234253
>ironically doing shit
>>
>>44234228
They get to be tomelocks and chainlocks. If the problem came up giving them their specific invocations at the correct levels (1st for tome, 1st and 15th for chain) isn't that big of a deal, but bladelock needs its 2 to be competitive.

I have contemplated homebrewing some capstone-esque invocations for each of the boons, though. So far I've thought up allowing a chainlock's familiar to hold concentrating on a spell for him, allowing him to concentrate on 2 spells simultaneously. The other two I've got nothing for.
>>
I can already tell that there are from 4 to 6 people on this thread right now.

Still, why is rapier so good for DEX?
Is there any other mellee weapon that comes close?
>>
>>44234363
Why aren't longswords finesse? Why is there no martial spear?
>>
>>44234363
>Still, why is rapier so good for DEX?
>Is there any other mellee weapon that comes close?
Because it's the one 1d8 finesse weapon in 5e.
And no.
>>
>>44234363
With finesse? I dont think so.
Whip would be cool, but its pretty shit-meh, you know, replacing damage for range/grapple or something?
>>
>>44234357
So you haven't thought this through at all?
>>
>>44234387

I never realized that there is no martial spear.

That is really, really shit.
>>
>>44234387
maybe when they start shitting mods for weapons and shit go all 3.5.
We'll have a reach whip that deals 1d12 +dex with finesse and versatility.
>>
>>44234429
>>44234387
>no martial spear
bummer.
>>
>>44234417
I've thought my other fixes through and they've had pretty good success. Player satisfaction is higher and they're not outshining the rest of the party, nor are they demolishing encounters.

Capstone invocations I haven't needed to think through because nobody gets to 18th-20th levels. It's more of an afterthought I shared.
>>
>>44234387
>>44234429
>>44234449

Does a Pike not count? 1d10? Heavy, reach, two-handed? Martial weapon?
>>
>>44230652
I second this. I got a flumph familiar in OotA and I'm loving it.
>>
>>44234558

The 'two handed' is kinda bad.
>>
>>44234601

I'm sorry, was the complaint "the martial spear isn't as good as I want it"? No, it was "there is no martial spear."

And it's not "bad". It's one die tier worse than the two-handed weapons that don't have reach. There's your tradeoff. You'd be surprised how many more opportunity attacks you can get, or how much enemy maneuvering you can prevent, by having that reach. There isn't even any penalty to attacking within 5', unlike 3.5.

What is it you want? A martial spear that does 1d8 damage one-handed? Why not just ask your DM if you can use the War pick stats and call it a spear? It's just fluff. Or if they're feeling especially charitable, ask if you can have a 1d8 Versatile (1d10) spear, a la Battleaxe/Longsword. It won't break anything.
>>
File: Rebel Leader Mitch the Snake.jpg (220 KB, 1000x731) Image search: [Google]
Rebel Leader Mitch the Snake.jpg
220 KB, 1000x731
>>44234363
Depends on what class you are, what equipment you plan on using, and what feats your willing to invest into.

>for dex based S&B fighter or for rogue and archer ranger, rapier is best melee choice.
>for dex based TWF styled fighter or TWF styled ranger with no duelist feat investment, short-sword or scimitar is best.
>If you get the duelist feat, rapier is best again.

It is a bit sad that it's the only real option but it makes sense that there would be fewer weapons that rely on dex than on str.
>>
Is it possible for a small PC like a halfling to mount a medium PC like humans?
>>
>>44234820

Scimitar being a TWF/Finesse weapon shits me off quite a bit.

That is not what a Scimitar should be. it's a hacking cavalry sword with no real history of being used in the off hand.
>>
>>44234859

Yeah, that's something 4e got right.

1d8 with bonus on crit.
>>
>>44234780
A pike isn't mechanically the same as a spear.

Spear's properties: Thrown, versatile
Pike's properties: heavy, reach, two-handed

They aren't functionally the same. Trident is about the closest you can get, but it's identical to the simple spear despite being a martial weapon, and you still need to refluff the other two pointy parts away. Kinda makes you wonder why they bothered with it.

>What is it you want? A martial spear that does 1d8 damage one-handed? Why not just ask your DM if you can use the War pick stats and call it a spear? It's just fluff. Or if they're feeling especially charitable, ask if you can have a 1d8 Versatile (1d10) spear, a la Battleaxe/Longsword. It won't break anything.

No shit it's easy to fix. All I said was there's no martial spear.
>>
>>44234824
By raw rules, there is nothing forbidding this. The shoes does fit well enough to be justified, but it ultimately depends on your DM.

the rule on what can be mounted is this:
>"A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount"
>>
>>44234985
I've noticed that aswell. The medium PC wouldn't even get a movement penalty
>>
>>44234985

It also specifies the creature must be willing to serve as a mount.
>>
>>44234985
>>44235015

My first thought on reading that rule section was halfling climbing onto a half-orc and them both running into battle while their players struggled not to make any references to Master-Blaster from Beyond Thunderdome or "Mecha-Shiva" from Venture Bros.
>>
>>44235015
Yeah. To be frank, I would not allow this if I my players actually asked for this. Not because I'm a "no fun" GM, but because half the times my players ask for something like this its because of a convoluted game breaking plan. The other half its just a flavor question, like having a dress that turns into a ninja outfit.

Then again none if it matters because my group can't keep the attention span to actually play a campaign for longer than 4 sessions. I'm glad I started playing in AL.
>>
>>44234969

>they're not mechanically the same

Wow, moving the goalposts much? A pike is a spear. It's a martial spear.

What else would you want from a martial spear? A 1d8 one-handed thrown weapon? Every other 1d8 ranged weapon is two-handed.

Though I'll give you the point on the Tridents. There's no purpose to it at all. Similar to the Glaive and Halberd, which are absolutely identical.

I noticed in the Monk entry they set a precedent for fluffing weapons (clubs as nunchaku, sickles as kama, etc.) I kind of wish they'd expanded on that (e.g., encouraging you to say "the stats for Glaive can be used for any slashing polearm with heavy/reach/two-handed", etc.) It'd help mitigate this sort of debate.
>>
>>44235028
That's true but unless the characters hate each other the willingness will most likely be available.
>>
What fighter subclass is the best tank? Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>44233523
even as bladelock, you can take all your blade pact invocations, all the eldritch blasts invocations, and still have invocations left over.
>>
>>44235310
Eldritch Knight, if they focus on defense. The problem is, they can short out pretty quickly if the player is over-cautious or overenthusiastic about casting spells.

Though, I guess the same could be said about the battlemaster.
>>
>>44235310
Battle Master can get parry, riposte, and goading attack.

Eldritch Knight can get shield, hellish rebuke, and various other spells.

Considering their small resource pools, they're probably about even, with EK pulling ahead with the right spells.
>>
>>44235310

EK has spells to take less damage - Shield, Absorb Elements, etc.
Battlemaster has maneuvers to take less damage like Parry, but it's not as good as EK, usually. They do have attacks to protect teammates, though, like Pushing Attack, Goading Attack and Trip Attack.
So it depends which kind of Tank you want to be.
>>
>>44235310
I like battle master more and they do better early level, but at late levels EK can easily get more casts of spells like blur, shield, absorb element, and ect. It mostly depends on whether or not you want to rely on spells or on martial might.
>>
>>44235376

Yeah at higher levels where 90% of campaigns never reach.
All of my games have run from level 1 - 7/8.
>>
>>44235410
It's funny, because for all the hullabaloo about Battlemaster getting the best fighter subclass, I still don't think they get enough.
After all, Monks get a full ki refresh on every short rest, up to 20, and get 4 ki points back on initiative rather than the one die Battlemaster does.
Their Martial Arts gives them almost equivalent damage before feats like Heavy Weapon Master or the Duelist Fighting Style.
Add in Evasion and Diamond Soul (Almost certainly better than Indomitable), and it seems that the only real selling points of Fighter are four attacks and Action Surge, both of which are admittedly excellent.
Am I missing something?
>>
>>44235653

Most of the damaging maneuvers the BM gets trigger upon hitting the enemy. So it's a resource not lost / risked.
Monks have to spend their Ki for Flurry o' blows or Stunning Strike and still risk missing or the enemy making the Con save.
>>
>>44235653

True, but Ki is the core feature of the class. The fighter has Second Wind, Action surge, extra attacks at 11+, a fighting style, and is less MAD than the monk; the fighter is one of only two classes that can be completely SAD, along with rogue. Everyone else needs at least two (Barbarians are close, but need some Dex due to medium armor, but can't use it as their primary). The superiority dice are gravy on that rather than being the core functionality of the class.
>>
>>44235653
- more HP
- higher AC
- SAD (str or dex, choose one) vs. MAD monk (Dex and Wis required)
- higher damage without using resources with little effort involved
- Outside of flurry of blows, ki is much less efficient than superiority dice because it's used for many monk abilities
- here's a greater chance of wasting ki compared to superiority dice due to ability use conditions (use ki to make more attacks/cast a spell/attempt a stun, use superiority die after it hits)
>>
>>44235639
So you can STILL afford ALL of the available pact and EB invocations at those levels:
Agonizing blast
Eldritch spear
Repelling blast
Thirsting blade

or swap E. Spear/R. Blast for devil sight or a shitty 1/day spell
>>
>>44233099
>Crown: I fight maybe-evil because the king/my people/my nation/civilization itself requires it.

>Sometimes their oaths lead them into the service of the crown as leaders of elite groups of knights, but even then their loyalty is first to the cause of righteousness, not to crown and country.

I wonder how long it will take people to forget this part of the fluff.
>>
>>44235759
>>44235791
>>44235847
Coolio.
>>
>Wizard keeps hitting us with spells with no regard for our safety because 'muh damage output'
>Almost killed people twice
Do we just kill him?
>>
>>44236570
yes
>>
>>44236570
I would say instead of just straight up killing him, just manacle / tie him up and drop him off in the next town. Tell them he is an unstable wizard who recklessly uses his magic and have them take him to prison.

Of course if he is above Lv 6 it may be safer to just kill him.
>>
>>44236570
Kill him and tell him to play a fucking evoker. Or just respec his wizard into an evoker.

Also boot him from the group for being a shitbag.
>>
>The party begins as conscripts in an defending army whose commanders hate them, effectively a suicide squad.
>They only have what they can loot off dead bodies and trade through the army's black market to work with.
>Every so often, a large battle occurs, putting a major objective up for grabs or at risk, and gives the party a chance to rise in rank.
Best idea or worst idea?
>>
>>44236838

Neither. What you have is a chassis or framework for your game. But it's a good place to start. What will matter is the details - what sorts of suicide missions are they sent on? Sabotage? Delaying actions? Raids? What benefits come from a rise in rank, especially since their commanders hate them? Would they get new commanders who also hate them? Would they get better equipment?

What's the invading army trying to accomplish? One answer is "conquest", but others are "destruction", "captives/slaves/souls", "terror", all of which have different tactics.

Basically you still need to actually come up with the campaign. You've just come up with a setting.
>>
>>44234985
The "that has an appropriate anatomy" segment basically leaves it up to DM fiat. If your DM says that humanoids aren't suitable, then they're not.

Myself, I would rule that a halfing riding a humanoid would require a special saddle (with a small seat and harness so the rider doesn't fall off, a neck guard so the rider doesn't choke out the mount in the middle of combat, etc) or else take disadvantage on attacks.
>>
>>44236943
Well, I suppose I can answer more questions, then.
>what sorts of suicide missions are they sent on?
Sabotage, mostly, or raids. Anything that can set the enemy back and has a high chance of death they're not willing to risk other troops on.
>What benefits come from a rise in rank?
The opportunity to pick between missions, better living conditions, the ability to keep equipment that would normally be confiscated, the commanders would hate them less and likely give them better equipment for show or for actually being impressed, some might hate them more for having the gall to not die.
>What's the invading army trying to accomplish?
There's a rebellion that recently got supplemented by a mercenary army, after said army's leader threw his whole force behind it due to a deal he made and the fact that his troops were guaranteed the first pick of loot (most of the loyalists happen to be wealthy merchants because the king continued permitting slavery to prevent economic turmoil).
The rebellion's goal is destabilizing the nation so they can make it a republic. The mercenaries thrill in battle and wealth, and are generally more 'morally flexible'. A very present fear is that the mercs and other nearby nations, seeing opportunity, are just going to take all the wealth and leave, which is why the loyalists have more support than they would normally.
Some nearby nations don't like the idea of the mercenaries getting big for their britches and have bitched support into the loyalist camp working under the idea that an enemy of my enemy is my friend.
>>
Is banishment on something not native instant with no concentration, or is it the normal 1 min con but they stay there afterwards?
>>
>>44237244
>pitched support
Phrasing, my bad.
>>
>>44230688
There's one evil flumph in the new Dragon+. I'm fine with it. If angels can fall, so can flying jellyfish.
>>
>>44236838
You'll need to explain why the PCs wouldn't just desert, and get this into the players heads before they make characters. Also, I think a more nuanced relationship with the command structure would be appropriate; some guys would be massive cockbags, some of whom can be worked with, most are varying degrees of corrupt, and a few are bros. Those categories don't necessarily contradict each other. Favors and trade would help ease PCs' navigation through the system.

And seconding the anon who says you still need an actual campaign. There's a lot of guidance out there for making RPG plots.
>>
File: Walker.png (674 KB, 1536x838) Image search: [Google]
Walker.png
674 KB, 1536x838
Tried making the Walker in the Waste from Sandstorm into a CR 10 Encounter

Looking for critique its my first attempt at creating anything for 5e. I did use the DMG
>>
>>44237546
Also the creature generator fucked up and turned Neutral Evil into Lawful good.
>>
>>44237546
There's a finite list of damage types in 5e. Probably change desiccation damage to necrotic damage so it matches Abi-Dazim's Horrid Wilting.
>>
>>44237546
>makes own damage type

This is why people hate homebrews, anon.
>>
>>44237758
Fuck man I forgot that 5e doesn't have all the same damage types.

Its the fucking damage type that Sandstorm had for the Walker in the Waste
>>
File: Gornyc Portrait.jpg (131 KB, 795x1006) Image search: [Google]
Gornyc Portrait.jpg
131 KB, 795x1006
Hey guys.

I was wondering how Action Surge would work in relation to making another attack action if you had already made one on your current turn. Is that possible?
>>
>>44237882
That's basically the whole point, anon.
>>
>>44237537
>Not deserting
Probably something involving their families or the fact that the guys behind them are as just as lethal as those in front of them, or else the people left alive will get paid out the tailbone for saving the nation?
I do agree on the more nuanced power structure, but that actually got me thinking as to what would happen if they decided to switch sides.
I don't like the idea of autistically outlining a plot to railroad people on, so I'll set up some campaign notes with each faction, their plan, their resources and their ideal end game.
>>44237882
Attack is an action, so a Fighter would get all of his weapon attacks, as I read it.
>>
>>44237882
What do you think Action Surge does?
>>
>>44237892
>>44237901
Thanks anons.
>>44237903
Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just for an extra non-attack related action as opposed to having the ability to make an extra attack.
>>
Sand swim and having a burrow speed are redundant. A lot of abilities aren't listed under "actions" when they should be. Also, the wild shape ability is worded kind of poorly. Currently it allows him to turn into any kind of undead, not just undead versions of beasts. And even if it's reworded to do that, what kind of undead? Could he turn into the ghost of a desert animal and phase through walls?

As far as fitting him into an encounter, he's probably underpowered for his CR and his intended role as a boss monster. He'll have trouble threatening a whole party because he doesn't have legendary actions, multiattack, or any other way of hacking the action economy.
>>
>>44234250
Using the general rule that a spell doesn't stack with itself, I'd say yes.
>>
>>44237546
Lawful Good?
>>
>>44238346
The program botched it from Nongood to lawful good
>>
My DM wants to run the dragon themed module.

I plan on making a non-casting urban ranger. Vigilante themed.

Any ideas friends?
>>
>>44238493
>ranger without hunter's mark

Why even bother anon
>>
>>44238493
>ranger

Why even bother anon
>>
So my brother wants to play a shifter, and he was unsatisfied with the choices there. I gave the go ahead to let him choose a creature from the MM, and with approval we could home brew something.

He ended up choosing Basalisk. How game breaking would it be to give a player a once a day (while shifted) 15-foot cone 'gaze' ability that has a DC 13 Con save or start being petrified akin to that of what the Gorgon does? I don't want to break the game or experience.
>>
>>44239299
Broken
>>
>>44239357
Care to expand on that thought?
>>
>>44239392
Not him, but hampering someone's ability to act is easily one of the most powerful abilities in the game.
Even temporary paralysis could quickly kill an important solitary figure.
>>
>>44239459
OK, would a stun work better? If it's a stun the I would want the DC to scale with a stat if possible... which stat?
>>
>>44239505
Why a basilisk?
I get the feeling your brother wants to play a very powerful character.
Personally, I would suggest he use a Changeling, a UA race and arguably one of the strongest player races currently out.
>>
>>44239392

How is it not obvious? Shifting is a once-per-rest ability anyway, so you're giving the player an AOE attack that Restrains any target - immobilizing it, giving it disadvantage on attacks and dex saves, AND giving advantage to anyone who attacks it. That is WAY more powerful than anything any other shifter gets. And a DC of 13 isn't low; it's what most casters' DCs are at level 1 anyway, monster's saves don't scale as quickly as they used to. A significant number of monsters don't have proficiency on Con saves, so they'll have +3-+5 - roughly an even chance of failing against a massive debuff that is, again, AOE.
>>
>>44231933
>Not using the d10000 Wild Surge Table
'Net Libram of Random Magical Effects'

I play a Wild Sorcerer
It's the most fun I've ever had in a campaign
>>
>>44239556
I don't know why Basalisk. I just want him to play, his first time and only time with tabletop he had a bad time (dm forced him to stand at guard duty, then killed him during said duty for no reason) so I want him to get a taste for the hobby. Plus he is super depressed and I want to get him away from his computer on a regular basis.
>>
File: 8MqKCUM.jpg (39 KB, 576x455) Image search: [Google]
8MqKCUM.jpg
39 KB, 576x455
>>44239556

>Changelings are one of the strongest races currently out

You'll have to explain that one to me, because unless you're assuming that their polymorph ability does more than alter how they look.

In fact, the writer says it doesn't, as seen in the pic. So except for being able to shift their appearance, Half-elves have them beat at everything.
>>
>>44239701
I don't see how being able to change one's appearance at will isn't considered powerful, considering it can't be dispelled like Disguise Self or Alter Self.
But different strokes for different folks, I suppose, even though I will give that Half-elves are better for most builds.
>>
>>44239643
Who else are you playing with?
I think he'd enjoy it more if the party's interactions are fun rather than having a specific racial power.
I'm trying to think about how to make that viable without being super powerful- Stun one target who can see you, refreshes on a long rest, no other racial bonuses, channels off CHA?
That's off the cuff, so don't count on quality.
>>
>>44237546
It's immune to fortitude saves?

Which are?
>>
>>44239807

It's useful, not powerful. There's a difference. It's much less likely you will be recognized, which can be an advantage or a disadvantage.
>>
>>44239925
I'd make a case that being able to manipulate how others perceive you is power, but that's getting into defining terms.
>>
>>44237270
If the spell is concentrated on for 1 minute the non native is permanetly banished
>>
>>44237270

The target is "temporarily" banished for up to 10 rounds, during which the caster must maintain concentration. If the caster ends concentration early (on purpose or otherwise), the creature returns. If the caster maintains concentration for the full 10 rounds, the creature does not return.
>>
>>44239949

I understand what you mean; and you're right that changelings offer a unique option you can't get anywhere else. That's great, but it doesn't have hard mechanical benefits, which is usually what people tend to mean when they refer to something as powerful or overpowered. For example, variant humans. But that's, like you said, getting into defining terms. I don't think changelings are "strongest", but I really don't think any race is strongest; the only standouts are that stock humans are garbage and variant humans are borderline overpowered. The only thing I can think of where stock humans are useful is if you are so MAD that you need 4 different stats +1'd; I can only think of that being necessary if you're multi classing and need those 13s.
>>
File: 1396885444197.jpg (61 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1396885444197.jpg
61 KB, 600x600
Did anyone save that undead PC race homebrew from a few days ago? I tried to find it on 4plebs, but couldn't find it.
>>
File: Let's Rock.png (1 MB, 1280x1074) Image search: [Google]
Let's Rock.png
1 MB, 1280x1074
Quick Warlock question:

I ended up rolling 18/17/16/16/15/9 for my stats. My DM also stated previously that the setting has firearms (Pistol, Musket, Revolver, and Shotgun specifically). In addition, I am allowed to grab the Arcane Gunslinger invocation from Unearthed Arcana.

Assuming I get a 20 in Dexterity and slap an 18 into Charisma after a couple bonuses, would it be alright to forgo taking Eldritch blast? Assuming I can simply manifest a 2d8 gun with magic ammo at will, do I really need EB? Or is the cantrip simply too good to pass up?

The only real downsides I am seeing involve range, and we rarely see sniper duels so...
>>
>>44230416
Little change of pace, but does anyone have any nice resources or a checklist of sorts to fleshing out a character? I'm joining a group soon and I have a character lined up but would like some help on details.
>>
>>44240327
You have cheating stats you can be anything or anyone.

I don't know why you'd want to be a Warlock with a 9 in charisma though
>>
>>44232067
Nope. They're classes that do other things and happen to have a bit of party support on the side, the Warlord's primary job was party boosting.
>>
>>44240327
At 11th level your EB's 1d10 + 5 x3 (31.5 average damage between three attacks) will outpace your gun's 2d8 + 5 x2 (26 between two attacks). If you're fine with that tradeoff before that level and get access to a revolve or shotgun, you're in the clear. However, of note: Arcane Gunslinger does not (as-written) give you unlimited ammo, neither does the base Blade Pact since that's only intended for melee weapons.
>>
>>44240327

>with magic ammo

That doesn't seem to be part of the new invocation. Where are you getting this free magic ammo from?

Other than that, I think you could get away with it, yes. From level 1 to 4, you will do 2d8+dex vs. EB's 1d10+cha. From 5-10, you'll make two attack rolls and do 4d8+2*dex if you hit, vs 2d10+2*cha. At 11 EB gets 3 attacks, but at 12 you can add your CHA to damage; resulting in 4d8+2*(dex+cha) vs 3d10+(3*cha), which is 27 vs 28.5; slightly behind by mostly a wash. At 17 EB pulls fully ahead.

You won't get to use Repelling Blast, but it opens that slot for something else.

Damage overall is competitive, but there's a big problem: loading. Either the weapon has the Loading quality, requiring you to burn a feat on Crossbow Expert (or the equivalent for guns, IF your DM says it works) and/or burn an action or bonus action on a gun with the Reload quality.
>>
>>44233183
Glad he's gone, I would contend he was worse than Zhakuvaan.
>>
>>44241170
>gone
Noone stays banned, much less autists like him.
He's been back for ages.
>>
>>44241216
He was back for like a day using another trip at a hotel before he got banned again. If he was actually back, /5eg/s wouldn't be nearly as peaceful as they have been lately.
>>
File: werewolf_by_satibalzane-d595eqm.jpg (109 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
werewolf_by_satibalzane-d595eqm.jpg
109 KB, 900x601
Posting this on a whim, because I might be DMing a game soon depending on how things go.

SO my setting is basically ripped-off of Innistrad, with the added twist that some distant time in the past (not sure yet, lets say 1000 years) all of the gods just sort of fell silent. Prayers don't really get answered anymore. Clerics and paladins sort of just don't exist because evidently there is no one to hand out their powers. A player could have a divine power source but it is exceedingly rare, and they'd need some sort of justification, like they were imbued with power from an angel. And they wouldn't want to go around making a show of their divine gifts, that's not the kind of attention most adventurers are looking for.

Other than that, its basically a crapsack world were all the races don't really trust each other, strangers, undead roam the hills and things really do go bump in the night. For 30 days out of the year the sun refuses to rise, and once this 'shadowtime' is over, its not uncommon to find villages and towns uninhabited, like the people evaporated.

What does /tg/ think of my shitty setting from this short blurb?
>>
>>44241230
Unless someone else is posting screencaps of his ebin troles to his shitty blog, he's definitely back.
>>
Is their currently any legal way at all to change a Warlock's Eldritch Blast damage type from force to anything else? If theirs no legal way anyone know of any homebrew that does that?
>>
>>44240317
http://imgur.com/a/GCmZm
>>
Anyone ever had a homebrewed Wendigo thrown at them? If so, how did it go? Was it high-level, low-level, did you manage to kill the thing?
>>
>>44241241
I think this is a perfect way to make an utterly terrifying campaign, even if only by virtue of difficulty.

You literally have an opportunity to throw the fucking book(i.e. Monster Manual) at your party.
>>
>>44241241

Overall, sounds fun enough. A couple of issues though:

The first is the ban on classes. This is very risky in general, not the least because clerics and paladins are often the first to go. One of the things you'll notice about most published settings is they look for reasons to include aspects of D&D, not exclude them.

If the Gods are silent, so be it; it's an interesting aspect of the world. But especially after 1000 years, there should be some avenue to divine magic for those who wish to be clerics. They may be as mistrusted, derided, hunted as you wish, but the class shouldn't be outright discouraged as you've made it.

Paladins don't even draw their power from gods in 5e; that's an archaic interpretation. Unless you are banning *all* divine magic, Paladins have no mechanical reason to be exempted. Even if you want to rule that they do draw power from deities, there should be avenues for the class for all the same reasons as the cleric.

In general though, it sounds like it could be an interesting setting, but I'd be wary of being crapsack for crapsack's sake. Beware of a situation where you tell your players "Nope! Nothing you can do will have a positive result! This world is terrible that way! Isn't that *great*!" Players will get resentful and bored quickly if they can't even pretend they'll make a difference.

Other than that, though, ill ask the same question I did earlier for a different setting: what's the story you want to tell here? Are the players going to find a solution to the Black Month? Will they find why the gods have forsaken the world? Is the world being absorbed by the Shadowfell? Is there anything they can do about any of it?
>>
>>44241241
You should modify stat blocks so that silvered weapons matter. I'd suggest going a step further and requiring spell casters to touch a silver talisman/silver gilded focus to overcome resistances as well.

Also restricting classes is dumb, don't do it. They don't have to be common in your setting, but cutting down player choices never feels good as a player.

Sounds like a fun setting though.
>>
>>44241406
>>44241434
Thanks for the feedback, and also the Black Month sounds WAY better than any other name I've thought of so that is going right in. As for the ban on classes: you're right in that restricting classes is usually not the direction to go. I sort of just got to 'divine power just isn't around' and left it there with the footnote of 'if someone wants to play a divine class, we'll figure it out at the table'.

And I'll try to make things feel bad without the players feeling powerless, because that's really the worst thing you can do running a game. The direction I'd want to go is more like "Look, this is a shitty world, filled with shitty things that want to kill you, and even the shitty people don't trust you. But you're a gaddam hero so go make a difference, and maybe you'll make something out of this whole shitty situation"

...That and being able to do fun things like 'the mayor is a werewolf being hunted by lawful-douchebag hunters' and 'have you read The Most Dangerous Game? its that but with vampires'
>>
My players have had me set up a setting which is basically a mashup of themes and concepts from Warhammer Fantasy, the Witcher, Bloodborne and Berserk. They want to play Witch Hunters, and I've opted to have them start off as 1st level non-Hunters who take the proficiencies and whatnot of their 1st class as though they multiclassed, while treating their Witch Hunter class levels normally once they get them.

They liked the idea, and I'll be changing their starting class gear to match that of the hunters' organization trainee shit (which I already wrote up) plus their background trappings.

I just have one question, lads: Aside from "the Witch Hunters", what would be good names for an organization like this? I'd like to think of something that rolls off the tongue a bit better for setting purposes, especially since these guys will be hunting monsters and dealing with general supernatural phenomena more often than they'll be doing anything to witches.
>>
>>44241888
"The Order", " The Syndicate", "The Inquisition", "The Hunters", " Concerned Citizens", "Responsible Gun-Owners".
>>
>>44241888
The Nightwatch
The Keepers
The Stalkers
>>
>>44241911
>"Responsible Gun-Owners"
Woke my neighbor's dog laughing.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 331x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 331x400
All this talk about Oathbreaker Paladins in this thread has got me thinking... Could a Lancelot themed Oathbreaker(Crown) Paladin work? How would you reconcile the whole undead subtheme with the idea of a soul who fell due to passion?
>>
>>44241241
Are you familiar with Ravenloft?
>>
>>44241241
Personally, I'd handle the whole apparent lack of divine presence (from gods) as an interesting plot hook. But as for outright banning certain divine classes (Clerics mostly) I'd not do so.

Most divine classes use their faith as a way to communicate with their diety and get the divine energy used in casting their spells. I know that the Favored Soul class in 3.5 were basically divine Sorcerers, in that their divine energy came from within them, usually due to a divine being mingling with someone in their family history.

You could do that (there's a UA about how to refluff a Sorcerer into a Favored Soul).

You could also say that maybe the Cleric draws upon it's divine energy not from a god, but from a primal source. Druid's get their spells from nature, perhaps the Cleric draws it's spells from the notion/essence of a purifying flame (the War or Light domains), or the cleansing stream (the Nature or Tempest domains), or the guile of the moonlight (Knowledge or Trickery domains).

Plus, there's probably still a handful of people who still worship 'the Silent Ones,' those steeped in traditions that have kept the town going to this present day.
>>
>>44241888
The Watchmen.
>>
>>44242056
Ravenloft is fine for ideas, but good lord is that plane a literal shit show full of obscenely powerful things and Strahd who takes basically a literal act of god to kill. I honestly don't think I'd ever run it for my players unless they asked me to do so, and even then I'm not sure. Hell, pretty much the only way onto the plane itself is by stumbling through a fog-shrouded portal that the plane itself plops onto the normal Material Plane because it wants fresh blood or a new group of idiots to try and break the script of the story it has set in place.

And even then if you somehow figure out how to kill him he probably isn't dead. Though considering he (and Ravenloft as a whole) is the D&D equivalent/expy of Dracula and the village he rules over, this isn't surprising. Or the plane just rewinds itself a bit to before you showed up (after it spits you back out back into the normal Material Plane) and reverts everything to how it was before you stumbled through.
>>
>>44241888
Sin-eaters
Sons of Solomon
The Brotherhood
Ash-Tongues
The Dispossessed
Black Sons
One of HIS
Hell's Debtors
The Forsworn
Hollow Men
Occultists
The Watchers
>>
>>44241373
>http://imgur.com/a/GCmZm

Having an undead in the party would piss off Rangers and Paladins as you'd set off their special senses
>>
>>44241434
I love 'screw destiny' stories so what's happening on a macro level is the gods are remaking the material plane, just for whatever reason its taking a long time. >>44242058
I was going to have god worship still be a normal thing. Greatly diminished, sure, but there may be some who deny that the gods are still around at all or that (gasp) maybe they didn't exist
>>
>>44241386

Used ghasts, changed stench to a kind of infectious madness that made you want to attack the nearest creature for a few minutes on a failed Wis save (easy DC though). It was appropriately terrifying when I sicked a pack of them on the players in a stranded mountain village. They jumped out of the shadows, clawed and bit, worked as a pack with zombie-wolves and went out of their way to surround the players and cut off escape routes.

Oh, also gave them Pack Tactics to make them a slightly bigger threat, that was fun.
>>
File: Alchemist-dota-2-5.png (449 KB, 810x649) Image search: [Google]
Alchemist-dota-2-5.png
449 KB, 810x649
>>44237126
I want to do this now.
>>
>>44241373
I really like this homebrew but the race is totally overloaded with skills.

This reminded me of a question I had. Can animated skeletons heal by taking short or long rests?
>>
>>44242411
>Can animated skeletons heal by taking short or long rests?
Yes. Unless they say otherwise, it seems the "spend HD on a short rest" and "regain all HP on a long rest" apply to all creatures.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/19/undead-short-rest/
>>
File: knight_facepalm.jpg (32 KB, 408x486) Image search: [Google]
knight_facepalm.jpg
32 KB, 408x486
>>44242018
>Lancelot
>Paladin
Lancelot would be a high-level fighter with absurd stats. He didn't have any supernatural powers beyond being a french mary sue.

His son Galahad, however, would be a paladin: he's the holy knight who has perfect morals, a cross on his shield, and performs miracles like removing diseases and healing people with his touch.
>>
>>44233684
Rangers are designed for hex-crawling wilderness survival and they're the best at it. The only problem is that most DMs never really focus on it that much.
>>
>>44241241
> my shitty setting
This is what girls do on Facebook with pictures of themselves.
>>
>>44243589
A rogue or bard with expertise in Survival gets higher Survival checks than the ranger and is equally at home in all kinds of terrain, unlike the ranger whose abilities shut down if he fails to guess what kind of biome the campaign will be in and what kinds of creatures he'll need to track.
>>
I think I've solved the problem with balancing Fighters with the other classes.

Just get rid of them. Fighters are a non-playable class for relatively important NPCs like guard captains and the like. They're competent but simply aren't considered the same as heroes.
>>
File: 1444367066463-1.png (1 MB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1444367066463-1.png
1 MB, 479x720
>>44243725
>>
>>44243627
The Ranger doesn't have to roll for a lot of things, he can just do them.
>>
>>44243748
I know, but it's just painful watching players take fighter and then realising they're still outperformed despite the promises of something approaching balance. Even compare to Classes like Bard and Monk. The extra proficiencies option and larger hit dice just doesn't balance it out.
>>
>>44243781
Are you lost?

Fighters are one the best classes in 5E. You need to look up how the action economy works, run the numbers and double check your favorite spells.
>>
>>44243749
If he's in the right terrain. Otherwise he's stuck asking himself why he rolled up a ranger when even his ribbon abilities don't work most of the time.
>>
Rolled up a character with 4d6 drop the lowest in order.
Wound up with 11, 18, 14, 13, 16, 18.
I guess I'm making a warlock.
Can I go for Undying Light and skip Eldritch Blast and rely on Sacred Flame?
>>
Can a Giant Owl be a mount for a medium sized character?
>>
>>44243725
>>44243781
Because there are players who, despite what you've said, still want to be fighters.

There's this one asshole I work with who doesn't like Chinese food. It's not just that he won't eat it: he doesn't like the smell, he doesn't like the shops, he doesn't like how cheap it is. Yet he insists on having everybody get lunch together and takes it personally when you disagree with him. It doesn't matter if other people like Chinese food: he doesn't, and as fellow consumers of food, neither should the rest of us.

Banning anything simply because you don't like it is shitty and egocentric. Fuck you.
>>
>>44243896
Rogue or Bard would also be viable.

Sacred Flame is workable up to level 5, at which point Eldritch Blast outstrips it.

Greenflame Blade is also a good choice, since your high Dex means you can use a finesse weapon to deal weapon+Dex+Cha damage at level 1.
>>
>>44243905
It's entirely up to the DM. The rules only say a mount has to be one size larger and "have the appropriate anatomy." It would entirely be within the DM's rights to say that a giant owl couldn't carry the extra weight or couldn't use its wings properly with a riding saddle attached. But on the other hand he might allow it.
>>
>>44243905
Yes, though your DM may ask you to fashion a saddle or some other way to stay atop of it.
>>
>>44243896
Vengeance Paladin with a whip.
BELMONT
>>
>>44243896
>Can I go for Undying Light and skip Eldritch Blast and rely on Sacred Flame?
You can, will it be shit compared to EB? yes, it will.
>>
>>44243909
It's more like stopping someone from taking a scuba tank on a parachuting jump. there's nothing wrong with trying to stop the players from fucking themselves over because they didn't realise.

>>44243804
True you got a point, it's not Undered powered at all if properly optimises, it just my players aren't gift in that department, God bless them.

I'll just to try to teach them a bit more how to make non-retard to build options before I given up on the class entirely
>>
>>44243861
Very few parities are that stupid to turn down favored terrain when they have a choice.

If you or party doesn't want to trek around the wilderness, don't play a ranger.
>>
>>44243381
Some depictions of Lancelot fit the bill. In the Camelot musical he revives (or appears to, at least) the fatally wounded Sir Lionel with the power of his prayers.
>>
>>44244096
What does that even mean? Are you supposed to tell the party not to go on a particular quest because it's not in your favored terrain? Even in a sandbox campaign, the party is going to be a little peeved that you're putting such a hard limit on what climates they can adventure in. If the DM lets you metagame a little, you might know what terrain your very first adventure will be in, but after that it could be anything.
>>
>>44241341
There's a Pact in UA that give Warlocks Sacred Flame and + Cha to radiant damage
>>
>>44244600
And it's still inferior to eldritch blast
>>
>>44243947
>>44243947
Don't you have to choose another creature within 5 feet? Wouldn't it limit when I could use it? Or can I choose no creature?
>>
>>44245402
As per https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/662433813956444160, you can choose to not target a creature with the secondary effect.
>>
What is the best way to do an anti-mage character? Without being a mage yourself and using counterspell, silence etc. Fighter with Mage Slayer and Sentinel? Or shadow monk maybe to get up close quickly and disable?
>>
>>44245916
Mage Slayer is so situational that it probably isn't even worth it. Very few enemies in D&D cast actual spells at you.
>>
>>44245996
I think we need an official /5eg/ feat tier list
>>
is this a good place to discuss character ideas? i need something that's kinda trolly to the gm but not outright "no"-able. right now my leading idea is a crossclass Cleric/Rogue who insists they follow the Patron Saint of Lost Things.

"You just stole that from me!" "I found it! It's a miracle!"
>>
>>44246090
Make an open hand monk with the mobile feat and play tag with your enemies.
>>
>>44245916
Grappler with mage slayer. But being a mage really is the best way of being an anti-mage. Mage slayer is too finicky compared to just turning off a guy's spell from 60 feet away
>>
>>44245996

That assumes your DM only ever uses monsters and never uses NPCs, which has always been an issue when discussing the value of abilities. The DMG doesn't include all the clerics and wizards you might fight.
>>
>>44246064

There are good ideas, there are bad ideas, and then there's whatever the fuck this moron just said.
>>
>>44246125
A Cleric of the Patron Saint of luck who only takes spells that modify die rolls?
>>
>>44235015

They do if the max weight is breached.
>>
>>44235015

I'd just say that humanoids don't have the appropriate anatomy to be a true mount.
>>
>>44246145
If you're going to fight lots of other casters, an abjurer or a lore bard w/ counterspell and dispel magic will get the job done better than mage slayer.

>>44245916
You want big individual hits that break concentration easily if you insist on not having counter magic. Rogue and paladin have the most reliable big individual hits. Rogue can also get expertise with athletics to make you a reliable grappler, which shuts off somatic and material component spells.
>>
File: 000.jpg (600 KB, 1120x1600) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
600 KB, 1120x1600
I was inspired by Dungeon Meshi to make rules for cooking and eating monsters. r8, h8, b8, masturb8

COOKING: Rather than simply buying food in the city, characters are able to cook and eat various monsters or dungeon flora if they have any of the following proficiencies:

*Wisdom (Survival)
* Cook’s utensils (under artisan’s tools)
* Herbalism kit
* Brewer’s supplies

Cooking a monster requires an ability check with a base DC of 10. Success grants anyone eating the meal free healing as if they had spent a hit die. Particularly high results can provide additional benefits, which are cumulative:

* 12: Everyone eating the meal gains advantage on any saving throws against one feature (chosen by the character who prepared the meal) of one monster type used in the meal until they finish a long rest.
* 15: Everyone eating the meal gains additional free healing as if they had spent an additional hit die.
* 18: As the result of DC 12, but the character who prepared the meal can choose either two features from one monster used to cook the meal, or one feature from two monsters.
* 20+: Everyone eating the meal gains additional free healing as if they had spent an additional hit die.
>>
>>44246227
your character's mom indicates otherwise.
>>
>>44246064
S Tier: Lucky

A Tier: Alert, Actor, Dual Wielder, Dungeon Delver, Great Weapon Master, Medium Armor Master, Mobile, Observant, Savage Attacker, Sharpshooter, War Caster

B Tier: Athlete, Charger, Crossbow Expert, Defensive Duelist, Grappler, Healer, Keen Mind, Magic Initiate, Polearm Master, Resilient, Sentinel, Shield Master, Skulker, Spell Sniper

C Tier: Durable, Elemental Adept, Heavy Armor Master, Linguist, Mage Slayer, Martial Adept, Ritual Caster, Skilled

D Tier: Heavily Armored, Inspiring Leader, Lightly Armored, Moderately Armored, Mounted Combatant, Tavern Brawler, Tough, Weapon Master
>>
>>44246305
>sentinel in B

is this b8? It is the literal best feat in the game for martials
>>
>>44246145
There are indeed a couple of humanoid spellcasters statted out in the back of the monster manual, but humanoid enemies are heavily skewed in favor of martials to keep things simple. Even an NPC that casts spells will not have all the abilities of a corresponding PC class.

Feats in 5e are bigger deals, something you should be able to bring to bear in just about any encounter. Mage Slayer was better in 3.5 when everyone got a fistful of free feats and you could afford to take some situational ones.
>>
>>44246239

You didn't say that Mage Slayer was outshone by anti-caster spells, you said it was situational at best. If you're the party melee type, Mage Slayer is helpful against casters if you're fighting enough of them. Especially since spell slots are much more limited in 5e. This way you can shut down a caster without forcing your own casters to spend their time countering and dispelling.
>>
>>44246374
But you're likely not fighting enough of them. Over half your encounters are going to be against non-humanoids with abilities that aren't spells, and within the minority of humans you do fight, over half of those will be fighters.

The best way to shut down a caster is to just nova and kill him, because that also works against other things. Casters have fewer hit points than other things of their CR, anyway.
>>
>>44246374
Because spell slots are more limited, if you don't get to a spellcaster before he takes his first turn, there's little point in prioritizing him afterward. Their contribution to the encounter is a big Fireball or Cone of Cold right at the beginning to soften the party up for the other monsters.
>>
I'm writing up expanded ship combat rules for a nautical setting. I've seen a few homebrews for naval systems, but in my experience that the feel too heavy for 5e and they entirely ignore the DMG stuff for ships and I have a personal rule against eliminating official material.

One of them is that shipboard weapons (cannons, ballistae, oxybeles) are heavy enough to ignore the damage thresholds in the DMG. I figure that death by a thousand cuts is OK against ships as long as the cuts in question are caused by cannonballs rather than swords, but would it be better to just have them do assloads of damage?
>>
>>44246964
Would adding penetration and armor values to the weapons and ships be adding too much crunch? If a weapon's penetration (a static value) doesn't exceed the ship's armor (can be modified with heavier armor) it does half damage, or somesuch. Or even just bringing back hardness / damage reduction.
>>
I'm trying to set up a campaign for some friends but they were thinking of doing something Jojo-related with stands and what-not. I can probably come up with a scenario and plot (probably something more simple like part 4) but I don't know if I should make the stands the classes or the PCs classes with the stands being an extra ability balanced per level. Anyone have any opinions?
>>
>>44246257
I think the advantage on saving throws is a bit much. Since they are eating nourishment I think it should just help sustain and reenergize the body.

* 12: Everyone eating the meal the meal has sustenance for the day and removes one instance of exhaustion.

* 15: As the result of DC 12, but Everyone eating the meal gains additional free healing as if they had spent an additional hit die.

* 18: As the result of DC 15, but the food completely removes all levels of exhaustion.

* 20+: As the result of DC 18, but everyone eating the meal gains additional free healing as if they had spent an additional hit die and/or removes either poison, paralysis or one disease.
>>
You're given a chance to pick two archetypes on one of your classes due to a DM reward. What do you go for with all printed and UA material available?
>>
>>44246485
>Over half your encounters are going to be against non-humanoids with abilities that aren't spells, and within the minority of humans you do fight, over half of those will be fighters.
This is totally dependent on the gm and campaign. You can't just say these things as if they were facts, anon. You just made those numbers up.
>>
>>44247368
From what I've seen of the series, the characters themselves are also pretty proficient in a fight, so most could probably be capable Fighters/Rogues/Barbarians, and their Stands could be any class.
If one of the characters wants to go with Hamon, then they could be a Monk.

Perhaps cap Users at Level 3 of their pure Martial class (no arcane tricksters or eldritch knights)
Hamon users can go beyond 3rd Level to max level (and say their punches can hit Stands no problem).
Stands could progress to max level.
>>
>>44246090

Reminds me of Tales Of Innocence. The thief character was a priestess, and when she'd steal items from monsters she'd simply say she was collecting tithes for the lord.
>>
>>44247368
Stands are difficult, because they can potentially do anything. You might want to play a different system for that, because combat revolving around out-bullshitting your opponent's bullshit isn't really something that 5e excels at.

There was an anon who posted his homebrew stat block for Dio a thread or two back, though. You could run 5 Sun Soul Monks with a rogue and a bard against him and it would literally be Phantom Blood.
>>
>>44247833
I could see that working out. I was also thinking of letting them use a stand generator to make their own and let them have more of an attachment to their characters, but as >>44247970 pointed out, it can be difficult to balance that way.
>>
>>44247970
>You might want to play a different system for that, because combat revolving around out-bullshitting your opponent's bullshit isn't really something that 5e excels at.

So 3.5?
>>
>>44247034
I've been trying to avoid that, largely because it changes the way weapons and armor work. pen and hardness aren't a thing in the 5e weapon rules, and I'd prefer to keep it simple: Rogue Trader is one of my favorite games to play and GM, but it uses significantly different rules for hitting/damaging people, vehicles, and vessels and in my experience many players find it frustrating.

Instead I'm doing the aforementioned thing with the "naval" weapon quality, which can deal damage even if it doesn't meet the threshold.
>>
Anyone have rules or suggestions on how to handle Sundering?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.