[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Near-death experiences and their mechanics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: ascent_of_the_blessed.jpg (47 KB, 550x406) Image search: [Google]
ascent_of_the_blessed.jpg
47 KB, 550x406
The wizard just got punched by an ogre zombie, instantly bringing him from full health to -9, about as close to death as he could ever conceivably go. He survived, thanks to the zombie getting distracted by the cleric and there being someone else there to patch him up.

And I'm like, "Yeah there's no way he's gonna get out of this with just a bunch of hit points being temporarily lost."

What manner of consequences, physical and mental and spiritual, positive and negative alike, could this experience have for the wizard?
>>
Depends on the setting, depends on the character, depends on the player, depends on the GM. Or, you could google near death experience and not ask random assholes to do the leg work for you. Maybe he's less of an asshole? Maybe he retires from adventuring? Maybe he's a nihilist, finds god, goes full hedonist, etc. Fuck man, it's up to you and to roleplay.
>>
>>44225670
>HURR DURR DEPENDS DURF HURF

Fuck off.
>>
>>44225691
What, you want me to give suggestions on a deeply psychological response with out knowing the fucking character or player? /tg/ has really gone down hill since the quest plague came.
>>
I've had an NDE

If it were 5e, in order to fluff the NDE you could temporarily replace one of his features with the Divination "roll 2-3 dice and replace any roll" feature. Possibly provide the player with a description of a vision that serves as a plot hook/device

As far as drawbacks -- maybe he feels compelled to tell people about it and they think he's crazy because of it? Maybe he randomly suffers some bouts of schizophrenia-like thoughts where he's not sure that the plane/reality he's on is the correct one because his NDE was more "real" than the life he has lived until this point

Also, magic he casts would absolutely become more colorful/flamboyant. Think of "rainbow", but mostly of a gold/pink/yellow variety, not really dipping into blues or purples

He might have accidentally discovered a patron and start to become a warlock. He might have been imbued with magic and discover he doesn't need to study his spells anymore, becoming a sorcerer

It's up to you. Just read a few NDEs and get a feel for it.
>>
>>44225691
Shit dude. End your game, for the players' sake.
>>
File: 1447021118908.gif (284 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1447021118908.gif
284 KB, 400x225
>>44225691
>>
Zenkai?
>>
>>44225691
When you do that "ironic" paraphrasing, you make yourself look pretty stupid.
>>
>>44225909
>>44226049
>>44226061
>>44226335
Oh dear.

OP here. That wasn't me you're quoting: I realize it's probably pointless to even try clear my name on an anonymous image board, but maybe it'll lead to slightly better discussion if I do.

>>44225670
I wasn't really asking you to do everything for me, just see if /tg/ could suggest a bunch of cool stuff. You guys tend to do that, you know - occasionally even without knowing all the context.
>>
>>44225157
>"Yeah there's no way he's gonna get out of this with just a bunch of hit points being temporarily lost."
He totally will, unless you can quote book and page saying otherwise.
>>
>>44226837
Oh, you think you're so smart?

>"If any creature reaches -6 or greater negative hit points before being revived, this could indicate scarring or the loss of some member, if you so choose. For example, a character struck by a fireball and then treated when at -9 might have horrible scar tissue on exposed areas of flesh - hands, arms, neck, face."
- AD&D 1st edition Dungeon Master's Guide, page 82
>>
>>44226837
That's why he's asking /tg/ instead of looking everything from the books.
>>
>>44226785
Guy develops a nervous tic. Declares his love for another party member. Decides to wear heavy armor to prevent something like that from happening again. Says he had a religious vision. Lots of shit man.
>>
>>44229299
>Decides to wear heavy armor to prevent something like that from happening again.

But he's a mage!
>>
>>44229307
Roleplay son!
>>
>>44225670
>>44225909
>>44226049
>>44226061
>>44226335

If your idea of a "great post" is "Your question about a fairly specific circumstance is far too broad for me because I'm scared of conversation," then you are clearly not ready for /tg/. You might have to sit out and lurk for a while so that you can recognize that if all you want to do is just look for ways to avoid answering a question, you might as well not post at all.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.