[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Barbarians are just dumb muscle. If you want points
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: arnold-conan.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
arnold-conan.jpg
183 KB, 1280x720
>"Barbarians are just dumb muscle. If you want points in thieving or diplomacy, create a new character."
Somebody would like a word with you.
>>
>>44224442
Like how Gandalf wasn't a d&d wizard, Conan is not a d&d barbarian.
>>
>>44224470
What if gandalf was a really low level wizard with a epic bluff score to begin with? Then he just leveled up on a faster EXP scale than the rest of the party.
>>
>>44224442
Pretty sure you can pull off thieving and diplomacy Barbarian RAW. That said Conan's thieving usually involved someone getting shanked, so I don't know if that makes him good or bad at it.
>>
File: ConanStats.gif (20 KB, 862x366) Image search: [Google]
ConanStats.gif
20 KB, 862x366
>>44224589
He was exceptionally good at it. Only rivaled by the greatest thief kings of the time. All of whom mysteriously ended up dead...

He was more prone to being a sneak thief when he was younger, when he was at his most agile. His ad&d statblock includes his time as a youth, prime of his life, king conan, and an elderly man.

He was also a latent psionic, hence why he could avoid danger so unnaturally.
>>
>>44224625
Hmm I guess my sense of his age is skewed.

Either way, yeah he was legit, in the sense that he didnt have any connection to thieves guilds past using their fence.
>>
>>44224442
>play barbarian
>put skill points into thieving/diplomacy
where's your god now, GM.
>>
>>44224470
>only one archetype per class allowed
Disgusting.
>>
>>44224625
I like how Conan is so fucking badass they have to shoehorn his BAMFness into Psionic abilities.
>>
File: Conan.png (614 KB, 792x1025) Image search: [Google]
Conan.png
614 KB, 792x1025
>>44224442
Looks good to me.
>>
>>44224442

It's not about representing what is clearly an overpowered character, OP. It's about game balance. If martials were able to swing swords well AND use useful skills, they'd be totally overpowered compared to the "skill monkey" rogues. Who would play a rogue if a martial can use skills as well as them and be better in melee combat (which is the most common and important action in the game)?

That's why you can't use skills. Martials are so good in melee they have to be gimped everywhere else for fairness.
>>
>>44224912
Skill monkey is a shit role that exists solely as a justification to shit on certain class' ability to function out of combat.
>>
>>44224953
>Skill monkey is a shit role that exists solely as a justification to let shit players dump all out of combat skills.
>>
>>44224912
But if a martial can use rogue skills, surely a rogue can use martial skills. The idea that everyone has to fit a certain archetype is total bullshit.
>>
File: 8338601.png (33 KB, 361x327) Image search: [Google]
8338601.png
33 KB, 361x327
>Playing systems with classes
>>
>>44225055
>martial skills
What, you mean all none of them?
>>
>>44225097
>Playing
>System

Narrative improv story circle.
>>
>>44225126
Wearing armour and hitting things with weapons
>>
>>44224552
Gandalf was a minor deity and had absolutely nothing to do with D&D.
>>
>>44224442
>AHNOLD BREAK!
>AHNOLD SMASH!
>AHNOLD RUN FOR GOVERNORSHIP OF THE MOST POPULOUS AND WEALTHY STATE OF AMERICA!
>AHNOLD INVEST IN DURABLE ALTERNATIVES TO PETROLEUM!
>AHNOLD UNDERMINE OBAMA'S PRESIDENCY!

This is how you play a diplomatic barbarian.
>>
Yeah, you can try to stat him but he doesn't really fit anything in D&D. His power level varies to fit the needs of the story. In some, he has a bad time of things with a wolf; in others he has the strength to kill two giants barehanded and continue on to rape their sister.
>>
>>44225260
I still think it's a little sad that Arnold can't run for president. I mean, I'd vote for the guy. He had some alright policies.
>>
>>44225536
So sometimes he rolls poorly and other times he rolls really well?
>>
>>44225579
One day, they will change the law so that he can be numero uno.
>>
Its on netflix right now if anyone cares. I forget how awesome that movie's soundtrack is.
>>
>>44225834
>>44225579
Team Arnie 2020.
>>
>>44224552

Technically, Gandalf was a Twilight Caste (or Zenith Caste) Solar Exalted.
>>
>>44224625
>Psionic

Huh. That must be where Uncanny Dodge comes from. Thanks anon, never knew that.
>>
>>44225579
Really?
What was his California like?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.