[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CofD/ Chronicles of Darkness General? /wodg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Fool Moon 6.png (4 MB, 1697x2236) Image search: [Google]
Fool Moon 6.png
4 MB, 1697x2236
Whoops, didn't notice the thread was dead. I need to fix these intro images. I should have saved the originals...

Let's try to focus today's topic on homebrew and house rules. What changes do you use to make the games run smoother when you run them? What advice would you give to new STs? Does anyone have resources or notes for their game or city they can share?

Previously >>44188586
-----------------------
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-changeling-the-dreaming-20th-anniversary-ed
http://theonyxpath.com/
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/
https://mega.nz/#F!wpB0ib4a!EsAU0AE4ihrNlDWzp3-MIw
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Abn1a6PgUCa19KbjdNcmNMWms/view?pli=1MWms/view?pli=1
>>
Advice to new STs:

Always have a cheatsheet and/or Storyteller screen ready.
>>
File: Sabrina.png (102 KB, 992x796) Image search: [Google]
Sabrina.png
102 KB, 992x796
>>44217095
Already on that.
>>
File: Werewolf notes.png (2 MB, 2334x1696) Image search: [Google]
Werewolf notes.png
2 MB, 2334x1696
>>44217139
>>44217095
Not what I meant to link.
>>
>>44215914
>Running Mage without having watched Se7en and The Ninth Gate is a huge waste of your time.
QFT.
>>
>>44217285

What would everyone say is the must watches for the lines? Always felt like the Incredible Hulk TV show was a must-watch for Promethean.
>>
I notice we have regular CofD threads and barely anything for WoD.

My conclusion: this rebranding/resurrection is a disaster and Paradox need to acknowledge they made a mistake before it's too late. I'll forgive them if they tell me they've already licensed Obsidian to make a Mage: the Awakening crpg.
>>
>>44217441
Pass the blunt bro, you've been hogging that shit all night.
>>44217437
That's probably a good start.
>>
>>44217441

Back to /v/ with you

Only thing Shitsidian should make it's a grave to bury themselves in
>>
I wish Mummy had literally any players other than me.
>>
>>44217437
People cite the Matrix a lot when referring to Demon: the Descent, but I think you'd be better prepped by watching every cinematic adaptation of a Philip K Dick story.

Especially the Adjustment Bureau, which isn't even a very good film. Angels that hunt you through innocuous-looking doors that open onto a transport network within a substrate of reality... but overall it's just too benign to be real WoD inspiration. Try thinking of it as propaganda for the God-Machine though.
>>
>>44217441

Without folks talking about their WoD games, all we have to go on in terms of WoD news is Changeling the Dreaming's Kickstarter. It's still hanging around $206,000, but that's because there hasn't been any new stretch goals yet.

Oh and also there's this trailer, which should probably go in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wewNseVo24
>>
>>44217523
I played Mummy once... I think. It was in a past aeon, and the faces of the players escape me.
>>
>>44217523

Finals has been keeping me from getting back to my Mummy game and it's been driving me up the wall. I'm currently running my Meret through the second part of the Dreams of Avarice Chronicle, the one in the back of Book of the Deceived.
>>
>>44217545
Ah, eco-wolf-warriors. The 90s is real.
>>
File: Greywalker.png (1 MB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
Greywalker.png
1 MB, 900x1350
>>44217437
Incredible Hulk is probably also good for Werewolf. The Rage and all that.

If I can think of a few more inspiration sources, I'll add Kill la Kill to the Geist homebrew, since Senketsu is a pretty good Geist (wants to feed, has a personality, not necessarily evil, not necessarily good, at one point freaks out and goes monstrous).

Dresden Files is a commonly cited bit of inspiration for WoD.

And of course I keep bringing up Greywalker, which is a book series about a private investigator who gets beaten to death during a routine case and then finds out she can see and interact with "The Grey", which is a lot like Twilight/Shadow.
>>
>>44217545
>Raping mother nature
>Surrendering to the machines
Oh, look, the oWoD fanboys want to reset everything to where technology is evil.

I was kind of hoping their update would make me like oWoD...
>>
>>44217546
>>44217565

I used to have an incredibly shitty group with zero interest in it (or anything good, really; if it wasn't D&D or a Persona knockoff they tuned out), but recently moved to fucking Arizona and don't know anyone here. None of the long-distance friends I have like history enough to get the same boner from Mummy that I do.

Back to weeping over the text alone, I suppose.

>Lion-Headed best Decree
>Su-Menent best Guild
>The Dancer best temakh
>>
>>44217570

Well until now, the only other way you could Live the Dream of the 90s was through this little number: http://drivethrurpg.com/product/146955/Katanas--Trenchcoats-Episode-1-Welcome-to-Darkest-Vancouver?manufacturers_id=3883

The fact that so many White Wolf/Onyx Path vets are on the team makes it even sweeter.
>>
>>44217665
In fairness the 'machine' of Ascension is not literally machines, it's all systems of control. The Technocracy is the enemy, not technology, and there's a bunch of tech flavoured 'good guy' traditions.
>>
>>44217665
I think we've passed the point where everyone but WW acknowledges that the Technocracy are the good guys.

As for the Garou? They've always been too stupid to breathe, so they're always gonna be cunts about "muh natur"
>>
File: WW made Vampires.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
WW made Vampires.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I'm worried about this:
https://youtu.be/LlA6LKUNDWs?t=1692
It seems to imply they're going to start trying to sue people.

Remember the last time White Wolf tried to sue people for "being too inspired"? Half this lawsuit could be used by Anne Rice against WWP.

>>44217731
That is not the impression I get.
>>
>>44217669

I'm sure you'll find a group! It'll just take some time. Getting to know folks before gaming with them is the hardest part but it's worth it. Bummer about your old group though.
>>
>>44217760

Including White Wolf now. Mage20 has the Technocracy at its most heroic, though the TRUE heroes of that setting are the Disparate Alliance, the union of the Crafts and the Hollow Ones.
>>
>>44217760
>everyone but WW acknowledges that the Technocracy are the good guys.

Agreed, it's weird how White Wolf publishing are the only non-fascists in the world.
>>
>VtR, WtF, and MtAw all seem vastly improved in 2e
>PtC seems unchanged
>CtL has been fucking ruined

I'm worried about Hunter and Mummy; the quality of the second editions seem to be steadily decreasing.
>>
>>44217632
Taking inspiration from Dresden Files is like trying to peel an orange using the rough side of a sponge.

It's clearly the wrong tool for the job, and you were probably better off just relying on yourself.
>>
>>44217850

Let's not panic until things are actually out for us to judge. MonicaV literally just said in her opening statement that she doesn't want to radically shake up Hunter: http://theonyxpath.com/light-your-candles-for-hunter-the-vigil-2nd-edition/

I'm not saying every 2e is going to be amazing (Changeling's our obvious edition split), but let's not worry about "decline" until everything's said and done.
>>
>>44217938

Also, because it's important to say it this thread, too: soon there will be an open call for writers for Hunter. I hope to see ya'll get in on that.
>>
Gonna start a mortals game soon. Did that anon ever post his CQC homebrew?
>>
>>44217437

The Lost Room is a must watch for a mortals or Mage game or any game involving magical artifacts.
>>
What do high level mages in nWoD do?
>>
>>44218536

They don't move mountains. They make it so that the mountain was always in a different spot.
>>
File: mad owl.webm (451 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
mad owl.webm
451 KB, 480x480
And you know what else? Fucking dalines sheetgen hasn't fucking updated
>>
Anyone got the WtF 2e pdf?
>>
>>44218587

I was gonna say that maybe the Dalines guy abandoned it, but lo and behold there's a blog update from a few months ago. He clearly knows what's going on. This is ridiculous.
>>
>there were people who seriously thought Mage would be out by Christmas
>there were people who seriously thought it would come out on Halloween

Reminder to feel bad about yourselves.
>>
I'm a new Storyteller and to the WoD system. My players want me to run a Vampire game. All of them are quite familiar with WoD Vampires thanks to Bloodlines. I am too and decided to give it a shot. I have some questions for you /wodg/

>What should I know regarding the system?
>What edition should I get?
>Is Requiem alright?
>What should I know about my city?

So far, I'm thinking of basing it on my local area. It's the "Rio Grande Valley", which is the South most point of Texas. I know quite a bit of history and I already have my Prince set up. Based on population (I'm doing 1 vamp per 35k humans) in the RGV area (it's a 4 county area) there should be close to 37 vampires total. The Mexican side has probably close to twice as much.

Since 1987, the Vampires of the area were divided Country-side. In that time, there was a power struggle that led to a revolution among the Vampires, which in turn, lead to the change of Kingpins in the Matamoros Cartel (now known as the Gulf Cartel). The old Juan N. Guerra who had the support of the Prince since the 30s lost the Cartel to his nephew Juan Garcia Abrego, a bloody criminal backed by a bloody Vampire. This caused the older Prince to move and keep control over the US side of the RGV, leaving the Mexican side to fight among themselves. The Prince is waiting patiently for things to cool off to regain control of the Mexican side, now divided into 2 factions.

>cont.
>>
My flatmates have asked me to run a WoD game set after an apocalypse of some sort. They don't mind playing whatever main line I chose but I'm kinda stumped on which one to chose and the basics of the world building. Anyone got any advice?
>>
File: $yndicate on Hollow Ones.png (83 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
$yndicate on Hollow Ones.png
83 KB, 500x481
>>44217838
Just finished reading the $ynidcate convention book, they're thoughts about the Hollow Ones are delicious.
>>
>>44219118

The Mexican domains have control over the movement of drugs out of the country and the money pouring in. The American side still has control over the routes of Drugs coming out of the "Valley" and leading straight to Houston (from where they basically spread everywhere else). The Mexican side can't overpower the American side due to many factions wanting things being controlled by the more peaceful Prince and the American Prince can't take back the control due to the larger population of Vampires over there and their ferocity. Both sides have agreed that an all out war would be detrimental to the Masquerade. Also, there's the whole Werewolves and Mages who might use such war to completely and utterly weaken the Vampire presence in the area, who have controlled the land since before Texas seceded

The players will be part of the American side and doing tasks for the Prince. I don't know what they will be doing for the Prince or if they will do anything specifically. Help?
>>
>>44219141
This gave me a mind boner. Thank you, kind fag.
>>
So what does everyone think of the tokyo settings in 2e so far? I honestly enjoy it having a connection through all the game lines (Even if I don't do cross-overs)
>>
>>44217441
I think it's more that these threads are full of people who love NWOD/COD and hate/don't care about OWOD rather then that being a global sentiment. Judging by stuff like the Changeling kickstarter, there's still a ton of people who love OWOD
>>
>>44219515
I'd agree with that, I'm a huge fan of the Big Three of cWoD but I usally have little to talk about in these threads. Though I hope that Wraith and Changeling turn out well considering the good I heard about earlier Wraith and the... Mix of love, hate and disappointment I've heard about The Dreaming.
>>
>>44219544

If you want praise, I can tell you that Wraith saved my life and that I got a tattoo of the Silent Legion symbol. I trust Dansky (even if he's taking a decade to write the fucking book) to make the best fucking thing out of the 20th Anniversary line.
>>
>>44219118

>What should I know regarding the system?

Be aware that if your players take abilities that give them extra actions, they're going to cheese combat really fast if you're not prepared.

>What edition should I get?

Vampire the Masquerade 20th Anniversary edition has every possible thing you would want involving the game. It's a lot of content but it's worth it.

>Is Requiem alright?

Requiem 2e is very good, but with a very different setting and vibe. You should still check it out, but be aware of that.

>What should I know about my city?

Urban legends and obscure tales are always good. It's more important to know about the local color than it is to know every single detail about the streets.
>>
>>44219365

They're kinda neat, but nowhere near the level of Montreal or Basra.
>>
>>44219595
Basra is the gathering of Ghost Wolves in Iraq that own the entire city and Montreal is that vampire city that has a boogeyman (Strix/VII/Brood maybe) that just FUCKS any gathering right?

PS: Fuck Quebec
>>
>>44219365
I just wish they went with somewhere a little more fresh than Tokyo. Like Bogota, or Minsk.
>>
>>44218536
>>44218556
M:tAw with Imperial Mysteries madness at maximum is high on the list of my favourite games I will never play.
>>
>>44219623

Yup.

The Blood Talons are trying to turn the Iraqi Ghost Wolves into a new tribe under Creator Wolf.
>>
>>44219678
Riiiight, their totems twin sister wolf or whatever. Yeah alright thats pretty jammin', but then again I'm just a fan of stories/games built around making some/most/all of the Ghost Wolves into a new tribe. Wish we'd gotten more info on Lodges so I could learn more lore on the Corpse Eaters
>>
>>44219108
It might have been had they not been bought up by Paradox.
>>
>>44219723

We had a dev say we'll be seeing more of the Eaters of the Dead.
>>
>>44219903
Awesome, now to just have a single fucking announcement for any new books for Werewolf 2e
>>
>>44219592
What's the difference between V:tM and V:tR? Besides mechanics. What's the difference in feel?
>>
>>44220130
VtM has a huge political war going on between the Sabbat and Camarilla and Anarchs. You basically have to pick a side and try to not get killed, all while being a part of the war. A war that's like the Cold War, except sometimes they kick in your door and attack you during the day.
VtR is about slowly growing old and playing the long chess game against other vampires and just trying to not die from other shit in the night.
>>
>>44220130
V:tM
We're (un)living in the last nights before the apocalypse and everything is a giant pyramid scheme orchestrated by the eldest vampires.
V:tR
Mostly angsty stuff.
>>
>>44220130
One of the biggest differences of feel is the aspect of focus.
Masquerade's default setting is a world-spanning arrangement of vampire government, a huge back history that is pretty common knowledge, and general word-spanning problems and processes.

Requiem is built to be a more small, local focus game. Gone are the large, world-spanning political structures; there are common structures, but the most important thing is the city, not the Covenant (political structure). The local focus lends itself to a game of horror and paranoia, as vampires are territorial and Requiem plays up this angle. There's also no 'definites' in Requiem; everything is hearsay, conjecture or the fucked-up memories of elders and older Kindred who claim to have lived through the Fall of Rome but probably were Embraced a decade ago and are just crazy. Lots of hints, no definites. Requiem is also built to have 'archetype' vampires rather than Masquerade's style (so you have 5 clans of lordly vampire, monstrous vampire, seductive vampire, secretive vampire and animalistic vampire) and go from there into hyper-specialized Bloodlines, which do the niche thing.
>>
>>44220571
How is the Rome setting? Most I know about it is it has a sixth clan, it's (more or less) when the Strix showed up aaaand... It has two books?
>>
>>44220185
>>44220408
>>44220571

Yeah. The more local aspect of V:tR is far superior for my needs.

So, what can my players do? Like, in D&D they can go kill Dragons and shit. What should the focus of a game should be in V:tR?
>>
>>44220838
I think the thing that's always glossed over when people answer, "What do we do?" is that your players are highly unlikely to be in a normal situation. We could tell you about what night-to-night life is like, but the first thing that will probably be happening is that the status quo of your city is going to be upset, so it will hardly be business as usual.
>>
>>44220838

Local politics and the slow erosion of your own humanity.
>>
>>44219136

Hunter would probably best suit your needs. One of the STs in our group runs a post-apocalyptic Hunter game and it runs pretty smoothly.
>>
>>44219576

Speaking of, it is time for your threadly Wraith20 update.

Rich Dansky has continued to lock himself in a cabin in the woods with a haunted book to write the rest of Wraith20. He has just finished editing all the Arcanoi together into one chapter. Tomorrow, he will work on Traits.

This has been your threadly Wraith20 update.
>>
>>44220975

He's been posting on facebook about the Shadow chapter.
>>
>>44220990

Any new bits, or is it just status updates? Either way, dude's working really fast and I appreciate his dedication to just drop everything and get this done.
>>
>>44220897
>>44220904

So, let's see if I have a proper idea of what I could do.

So, my players (knowing them, and I do) will build the following:

>Edgelord animu sword wielding guy (he ALWAYS does this)
>Edgelord secret assassin-type guy that says close to nothing
>Mystic witch lady
>A scholar Malkavian psychologist (guy told me he wanted to do this) similar to the guy in Bloodlines
(first two are kind of annoying, second two are great RPers)

I'll have them being introduced into the Court because they are all recently turned vampires. They do the fancy things Courts do and then the Prince tells them to do stuff in order to have safe refuge (my domain, my way). Give them different type of drug related quests and see where things go. Maybe introduce some Mages and Werewolves? Maybe have to deal with a local Hunter cell? Maybe deal with the encroaching Mexican vampires that might want some of that sweet American money?
>>
>>44221043
>Mages and Werewolves

Crossover bad.

Do your players know that the Bloodlines clans don't exist in Requiem?
>>
>>44221080
There are Malkovians and Malkavs disease.
>>
>>44221080

Crossover is fine when it's NPCs used sparingly. Also at this point there's "close enough" versions of the Masquerade clans in Requiem, and if that's not enough, the Vampire Translation Guide is right there and only needs a little tweaking post-2e.
>>
>>44221043
First guy's probably a Mekhet.
Second guy is a textbook Khaibit (a Mekhet Bloodline)
Third lady is any Clan, but definitely a member of the Circle of the Crone (if you want wicca/pagan style mysticism), or alternatively Ordo Dracul (if you want secret society freemason/mad science type mysticism)
Last guy's gonna be a Ventrue (they're the one with the Clan Weakness that puts them at greater risk of going insane, and they have two different ways to be Malkavians - the Malkovian Bloodline, which is a permanent Derangement as Bloodline weakness, or the Malkavia Disease, which is straight-up insanity+madness network+Dementation and all that good shit).

He's almost definitely a member of the Ordo Dracul, if he's like the guy in Bloodlines and is interested in studying the Vampiric condition.
>>
>>44221043
If you're going to include mages and werewolves, I suggest not using the ones from Forsaken and Awakening. There are more versions of "guys who turn into wolves" and "humans who can do magic" than just the PC versions from the other gamelines.

Look into Hunter for ways of hacking together sorcerers-who-aren't-Mages and werewolves-who-aren't-from-Werewolf. Vampires aren't going to know the difference IC anyway.

Note that 2e Vampires are much stronger than 1e Vampires, so mortals aren't nearly as much of a threat to them. Of course, Hunters tend to know to bring fire.
>>
>>44221080
>>44221123
>>44221261

They already know the clans and that Malkavians are now part of Ventrue.

What I'm going to do is basically force all Malkovians to have the Malkav disease. There won't be many around. Probably just the Sire of the player.

>>44221178
>>44221312

What's wrong with using Werewolves and Mages? I didn't plan to use that many, but as far as I recall, there are some Werewolves protecting the US-Mexico border from Spirits leaving the US into Mexico.
>>
>>44221344
>What's wrong with using Werewolves and Mages?
Mostly because they have a nasty habit of muddling the themes of other gamelines, especially if the players know the background and metaphysics and whatnot behind them.

It's better to keep your players guessing when it comes to stuff their characters wouldn't know about.
>>
>>44221344

Nothing particularly wrong with it, but since you're running a game for the first time, it's best not to deal with crossover mechanics. Try to keep your focus to one setting, and then branch out when you feel more comfortable with things.
>>
>>44220408
Requiem is more angsty than MASQUERADE? Really?
>>
>>44217931
I don't see how. It's no worse than, say, Fate. It's really more about theme and tone and concept as opposed to a one to one translation.

>>44218043
It wasn't a home brew, it was just showing off how useful the broken out Fighting Style system is. It was just a list of "take this merit, you'll have X dots of YZ tags"

>>44218777
>>44218587
He has abandoned it.
>>
>>44221829
Do you still have the fighting system stuff? Like, how you liked it broken up?
>>
>>44219778

No it wouldn't have. The art delayed the book.
>>
Hey, Chris, my player has a question:
>I need to know if (Dominance) Glorious Lunacy and (Change) Gaze of the Moon work together. The wording is iffy.
>>
>>44221261
I was gonna say that the first one is probably a Daeva. They are the greatest warriors, after all.

Oh, and that the last one was a Mekhet, they represent the dark scholar archetype.
Mekhet with Malkavia is best.
>>
Ok, I got inspired for a Mekhet con-man bloodline. The fluff is really iffy yet, as I dreamed it up a few hours ago, but I'd just like to check with you if you thought the core was sound:

First off: Majesty as in-clan Discipline. Inventing new Disciplines is so 1e, and was silly even then.

Secondly: I have two ideas for Devotions, both Obfuscate + Majesty, and I'd like to see your opinions of them:

Tête-à-tête (Majesty •, Obfuscate •)
You may now choose to apply Awed to just one target.
1 Experience to learn.

Subtle Control (Majesty •, Obfuscate •)
Gives the choice to make Awe increase Manipulation rather than Presence.
1 Experience to learn.

Don't know if the Disciplines would be Bloodline-only, or just more widely spread among them.
>>
>>44222365
>Ok, I got inspired for a Mekhet con-man bloodline.
If you don't call them the Tubalcains, I shall be most put out.
>>
Hey, /CofD/. I have an idea for a legacy, and I'm not entirely sure whether or not to work on it further. The idea is mages that replace their souls with a Beast's horror. The attainments would be based off their nightmare abilities, with the last one based off an avatism.
>>
>>44222862

A soulless mage has no magic. It's why they can't be Embraced.
>>
>>44222896
A horror is the soul of a beast. The Tremere replace their soul as well.
>>
>>44222862
I'd say it's more them Splicing the Horror into their own soul than it is them straight-up replacing it.
>>
Anyone want to give me some insight into the Tribal Bans (Chris?), specifically the Blood Talons?

I've got a player who's probably a little more familiar with WtF than I am and he's made a Blood Talon that's a Momma Bear character, and he seems to like the Blood Talons the most because they're basically the Get of Fenris, and he sees the Tribal Oath as "no mercy or all of the mercy", and while I can see it as "don't beg forgiveness if you wouldn't give it" the impression I get of the Blood Talons isn't that they're virtuous nice guys who fight bullies. The player said they like the Iraq setting, and that's what makes me think about it, because while the ones in Iraq are all about helping restore Basra to glory and trying to find Creator Wolf... Destroyer Wolf is still a Destroyer, even if he's trying to find his lost half.

Is it "playing it wrong" for a Blood Talon to be merciful and kind, aside from "bullies must die"? Would other Blood Talons look down on someone if she was forgiving and accepted surrender, instead of casting down the sinners?
>>
>>44222474
Nah. Tubalcain was a smith.
>>
>>44223232
fairy nuff.
>>
As a Changeling, if your Kith results in you being broken into pieces and separated, For example; as a Manikin you were turned into a roll of fabric and then cut into four pieces, then would one part of you managing to escape a certain way slap all the parts of you with the same Seeming or would each piece get a different one when they eventually escaped?
>>
>>44223292
The part of you that matters is the part with the soul, broken as it is.

Though I'd maybe allow a character concept that's two or maybe even three characters who were once the same person but now are twins.
>>
>>44223313
>Though I'd maybe allow a character concept that's two or maybe even three characters who were once the same person but now are twins.
Coolio, that means that you can have a game of Changeling where everyone really IS John.
>>
How would I play the following without immediately getting my ass rekt due to masquerade breach? We're playing VtR 2e.

>Lead Editor of famous paper
>Late 50s/Early 60s, i.e his grandkids probably recently graduated
>Embraced when he was 37
>Ventrue

Am I trying too hard for the "Friendly vampire who actually has a life" angle? Is this in any way believable? Okay, maybe not that friendly; He ghouled his secretary after all.
>>
File: Gotham-map-Dark-Knight.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1950) Image search: [Google]
Gotham-map-Dark-Knight.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1950
What areas of a city might a Pack call home? Where might Loci be?

I want to give my players a big list of locations they can choose from.

Also, I could just use some suggestions in general. Because I made a joke that I liked the sound of, I'm going to use Gotham City as my setting for Werewolf. Think of it as an Elseworld of darkness. Thomas and Martha Wayne's deaths still taints the Resonance of the City. Amadeus Arkham spent his last days in the madhouse carving warding sigils. Legends persist of a zombie rising from the swamp, and a crocodile man in the sewers. A secret cabal of owl masked elites once controlled the city and may regain their influence.

No super high tech vigilante roams the streets, no crazed clown threatens to blow everything up. No District Attorneys have ever had mental illness inflamed by horrible facial disfigurement, though organized crime is strong.
>>
>>44222896
The the legacy REPLACES the soul. Futher vampires do have souls thats the point of diablerie.
>>
>>44217437
The Crow and The Cat Lady (game) are seminal Geist
Intacto and Allegro to a lesser extent could be cool for Mage or Core, respectively
Pathologic (game) is pretty good material for a mortal game (it was based of a tabletop experience after all)
>>
File: ZxQlyR.png (445 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ZxQlyR.png
445 KB, 800x600
>>44223705
I want The Cat Lady.
I played the demo (and even that had trouble running on my computer) and it was spooky.
>>
>>44223172
the tribal ban is "offer no surrender you would not accept." If an individual blood talon would surrender ALL THE TIME then they can offer surrenders, but...yeah, they're probably going to be seen as cowards, or someone who simply lacks the killing will.
>>
>>44223772
It's less the ban itself I'm worried about and more the attitude. I mean, Blood Talons aren't likely to ACCEPT surrenders, from what I can tell.

Or maybe they would accept them, but personally don't because they're Get of Fenris.
>>
File: the_dreamer.gif (2 MB, 837x983) Image search: [Google]
the_dreamer.gif
2 MB, 837x983
>>44223663
but does a Calendar Man stalk the night?
Also, loci can pop up literally anywhere. They can even be attached to living things, your options are pretty much unlimited. My current game has a few loci of note:
1. a really fat pigeon that IS a locus. it roosts on a roof and gets tended to by this weird uratha who spends most of his time in the Hisil.
2. the player pack's locus, an unnaturally growing tree in one of the PC's basements. It grew out of the previous owner's hydroponic gardening hobby and the accompanying serenity.
3. A locus of knowledge centered around a bigass medieval text stored in the city library.

you've really got infinite options with them.
>>
File: Gotham-map-Dark-Knight.png (6 MB, 1200x1950) Image search: [Google]
Gotham-map-Dark-Knight.png
6 MB, 1200x1950
>>44223663
Marked down some. The locus in the park is an old treehouse where several unsavoury things happened in the past. The locus in the industrial quarter is an abandoned car factory on top of a Fordite (http://www.boredpanda.com/car-paint-deposits-fordite-detroit-agate/) deposit, they spirits get angry when idiot kids try to knock some of the stones lose. Docks are special because not only do they team with various spirits, the pack also considers it their responsibility to act a a sort of secondary border patrol in order to sniff out Claimed or Ridden attempting to get into/out of the city via the sea.

>>44217437
>Changeling
Pan's Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
>Demon: the Descent
Eagle Eye
Dark City
The Thirteenth Floor
>Hunter
Donnie Darko
Dexter
It Follows
The Thing
>>44222365
Given this set-up I suspect they might primarily embrace the upper echelons of human smuggling rings including the guys who do top work in the area of document forgery. They're the guys who Ventrue call on when they need someone moved quietly.

>but I'd just like to check with you if you thought the core was sound:
It looks sound to me. Effective without being OP. Maybe rename Subtle Control into Silver Tongue to make it more Vampire-y?

>>44218026
>I hope to see ya'll get in on that.
So do I. BA Frat shamans vs Lawyer Sorority girls route is a go.
>>
>>44223719
it'll probs go on sale for a few dollars over christmas
Downfall (the studio's previous game) is also great, and getting a remake. Bit less to work with for a tabletop other than, say, plot and atmosphere though.
>>
>>44223897
>The Dark Crystal
Not seeing the connection to Changeling there, Mirrormask on the other appendage.
>>
>>44223898
Well, I'm super poor, but the price is low enough that I could convince my brother to get it for me. The fact that it still has trouble on my shitheap of a laptop is the real issue.

>>44223897
>>44223837
>Fordite
>Books
>Pigeons
Man, my knowledge of Loci is really lacking. I thought they were like Hallows, and were places.
>>
>>44223897
>>44223897
You could make a decent case for Donnie Darko and Mage, but Darko's metaphysics is pretty convoluted no matter how you slice it.
>>
>>44223909
>Not seeing the connection to Changeling there, Mirrormask on the other appendage.
The aesthetic, you're right that the connection is thin.
>>44223919
>but Darko's metaphysics is pretty convoluted no matter how you slice it.
In my personal opinion that's an important part of Hunter; Other splats have at least a faaaaint inkling of how their shit works, Hunter's basic idea (reinforced by the new monster creation rules in CoDa) is "Okay, we are fucked, how do we make us less fucked"
>>44223897
Adding to that
>Demon: The Descent
All the Oceans parts to get a hold on how convoluted and borderline(?) stupid dealing with Infrastructure in a way that doesn't kill everyone's Cover could potentially become. All of Terminator to get an idea of what it's like dealing with an Angel that really wants you dead.
>Hunter/GTSE
Flatline
>>44223915
Loci can really be all kinds of things, and usually they're not what or where it would be even remotely convenient.
>>
>>44223803
eh. they're a warrior culture but there's room to not be a homicidal maniac. If the person put up a good fight, or if they're a fellow Uratha you've got good enough reasons to offer surrender to them.
>>
>>44223953
superficially Donnie entertains a variety of hallucinations and may be influenced by some bunny entity. A slasher?
By way of explanation, he's getting power over water, fire and metal, as well as increased strength, minor precognition and other shit, which he uses to expose a pedo, then time travels.
The absolute of the metaphysics though is very specific, the 'Living Receiver' (who gets the powers) must fix a 'Tangent Universe' and is guided by the 'Manipulated Dead' (everyone else sans real will) who will set up an 'Insurance Trap' to compel the Receiver to fix the tangent otherwise both timelines get destroyed.
>>
>>44223993
>The absolute of the metaphysics though is very specific, the 'Living Receiver' (who gets the powers) must fix a 'Tangent Universe' and is guided by the 'Manipulated Dead' (everyone else sans real will) who will set up an 'Insurance Trap' to compel the Receiver to fix the tangent otherwise both timelines get destroyed.
Sounds pretty God-Machine cult-y, doesn't it. Especially when you consider the sidebar in I think Flowers of Hell or Heirs to Hell talking about how it's the splat where they were finally willing to entertain the notion of parallel worlds and time travel as things that would happen in the context of the GM's plans.
>superficially Donnie entertains a variety of hallucinations and may be influenced by some bunny entity. A slasher?
Ye, Slasher or ^See above.
>>
>>44219678
The catch being destroyer wolf might likely be hindering such efforts. He *destroys* and is making things a mess.... or is making g the environ perfect for the ghost wolves (who must take the initiative, a grand task itself) to see what creator wolf Hunts - those that bring ruin and disorder, maybe. Creator wolf also might not come about until the area is less a destabilized region... good luck with that.
>>
>>44223897
>BA Frat shamans vs Lawyer Sorority girls route is a go.
Why do you want to write yet another superflous conspiracy?
>>
>>44222128
By default, they don't - Gaze of the Moon only lets you zap a hapless human with the main three Lunacy Conditions, not the ones you can get via Facets.

I honestly don't know whether anything will break if you let them zap the extra Conditions like Awestruck as well, but I'd be tempted to stay away from doing so.
>>
>>44223172
It's fine to be merciful, yes. The Tribal Ban is more the other way round - it's offer no surrender you would not accept, not accept no surrender you would not offer.

It plays heavily into all sorts of related warrior-honour themes, in fair treatment of your foe, keeping to the same standards that you set of your enemies, etc, but it doesn't require you to be a merciless butcher of those who submit to your greater might just because you plan never to surrender yourself and would rather go out fighting than bow your head.

Now, as to whether other Blood Talons would have issues? Possibly, depends on them and their creed. Some might say it is foolishness to let sworn enemies live, others would laud her for her Purity and adherence to the Oath of the Moon, etc etc.
>>
>>44223663
I think they used that map for DCUO though I never found that stadium
>>
File: Gotham Street Level.png (4 MB, 4357x6581) Image search: [Google]
Gotham Street Level.png
4 MB, 4357x6581
>>44224985
There are a few maps of Gotham. This one is from the Nolan movies.
>>
So, I think a lot of people missed a very surprising topic brought up by the White Wolf team at the Tenebrae Noctis panel. Dracula mentioned how there were "a few fan projects I'd like to put an official stamp on". Which projects could he be talking about? Project Valuderie maybe?
>>
>>44225487
Maybe they're dropping Beast and just taking Leviathan?
>>
I'm out of the loop, why is everyone saying CtL 2e is ruined?
>>
>>44225495
Dear god I hope not.
>>
>>44225504
Why? Leviathan actually knows what it's doing.

But seriously, I'm hoping for Paladin or Outsider.
>>
>>44225502
Seemings and kiths got tallywhacked. Your kith can be anything and seeming is what you did to escape i.e. you (a mannikin made of asphalt) betrayed someone so now you are a darkling mannikin (oozy asphalt with glowing red eyes)

It provides more freedom and feels really loose. I think that's the problem people are having. It is kind of awkward but ultimately not a big deal once past character creation. In fact, it'd be cool if the changeling bros you betrayed popped up later in the story
>>
>>44225502

There's a LOT of controversial changes. Swapping Kiths and Seeming, freeform Court creation, less emphasis on the True Fae, stuff like that. There are also some people who aren't happy with its tagline no longer being "a storytelling game of beautiful madness". Honestly I'm OK with that last one, because Changeling never felt like a game about that specific thing. I always thought Promethean's tagline, "a storytelling game of stolen lives", was a better fit.

Anyways, we'll see how the reaction on release goes. It'll probably be fine on its own merits but as a result Changeling will not be the most popular game in 2e.

>>44225502
>>44225521

I doubt it'd be an nWoD fangame. Paladin's never been playtested, as far as I know, Outsider died in development, and Leviathan has too much bloat to be fun. If it was going to be any of them, it'd probably be Genius, and even that's a long shot cause that game's mechanics are pretty borked.
>>
>>44225622
And it's not dependent on whether or not you ACTUALLY betrayed someone, it's your mindset that matters.
>>
>>44225764
>>44225521
Paladin? As in Paladin: The Redemption? If WW know it exists I'd be very pleased, writing for it was fun.
>>44225487
>Which projects could he be talking about? Project Valuderie maybe?
He mentioned Project Vaulderie. It's very likely it's that since Dracula is all about that VTMB.

>>44224222
>Why do you want to write yet another superflous conspiracy?
Just to be clear, I want to elaborate on two existing ones, namely the Illuminated Brotherhood and the Maiden's Blood Sisterhood. With the revised CoDa rules it'd now be very interesting to have them be elaborated upon.
>>
>>44225820

I feel like if Dracula doesn't know about the fangames now, he will soon.

Also, anyone feel like going to Helsinki next year? Dracula's holding a VtM LARP in an abandoned mental facility to beta test the One World of Darkness official metaplot LARP.
>>
>>44225764
In the (admittedly unlikely) event that we get Paladin, I will be most put out if they screw up the characterization for Brother Maynard.
>>
I want to use a hunters from a hunter conspiracy as antagonists in my Werewolf game. Which one in your opinion would be the most frightening to face?
>>
>>44226252
Cheiron Group.
>>
>>44226332

Someone's looking for good VtM adventures over on this thread.

On that note, what's your favorite pre-written adventure for either setting? Mine's probably Ruins of Ur for CofD Mortal.
>>
>>44226252
>>44226324
Cheiron is a good option.
Could also send in TFV to hunt them down; play it like a co-op survival horror, with them all locked in a building with the TFV fucks until they find and kill *something* supernatural, whether it's the PCs or not.

Lucifuge could also be potentially scary, depending on how you describe their castigations.
>>
>>44226476
Or...All Three!
>>
>>44226476

I could see TFV being a recurring antagonist if the players are in a mostly Pure controlled area. You'd have the challenge of not being murdered by government spooks and soldiers, and the bonus challenge of trying to make sure they kill your enemies without seeing you as the same.
>>
>>44226476
>>44226653
I think for Werewolves TFV are actually one of the worst Hunters to face. Having actual military-industrial power behind them means silver bullets are absolutely no problem to acquire. Other Conspiracies probably cannot produce silver bullets on the same scale.
>>
File: the_best_vampire_game_ever.jpg (55 KB, 329x475) Image search: [Google]
the_best_vampire_game_ever.jpg
55 KB, 329x475
So, I'm thinking of starting prep for a Hunter the Vigil game. I want to start it off at Tier 1, hopefully eventually evolving to Tier 2 and have it involve Mages, since I have the Witch Hunters book. But, I'm rather stuck for where to set it. I've considered setting it the US, but I'm not so great at making up whole cities. I've also considered making making it a small town, but I don't know how easy it would be to bring in new threats or involve other groups of hunters (either making alliances with Mages or rejecting them, depending on how the PCs play it).

Any advice, /tg/?

Also, should I buy a copy of the God-Machine Chronicle, or wait until Chronicles comes out and roll with classic nWoD rules?
>>
>>44226713

Why not set it in Philadelphia? Hunter's got some write-ups you can use for it. As for the other question, Chronicles of Darkness Core is already up for sale, but you'd need a copy of Mortal Remains to update specific Hunter mechanics. If you're all right with that, I'd suggest giving it a shot. If not, WoD 1e and Hunter 1e should be just fine.
>>
>>44225820
>>44225935
Devs are never going to even acknowledge they've read a fangame, because it opens them up to charges of plagiarism if they arrive at the same ideas independently.
>>
>>44226869

There's a difference between "the game devs of a line" and "the creative director of a company and his fleet of lawyers".
>>
>>44226846
Ah, is CoD available as a physical book? I prefer working of those.
>>
>>44226950

Not yet, no. It's still in the Advance PDF stage. It should be available as Print on Demand in a few weeks.
>>
>>44226950
Not yet. It's out in a pre-finished format for the fans to catch all the errors because OPP doesn't believe in paying proofreaders when they can get obsessive fans to proofread their books for free.
>>
>>44227022

And yet somehow it's better than when the editing team was Scribendi.com
>>
>>44227020
>>44227022
Ah right, I'll probably just use the GMC. The updates in Mortal Remains were pretty minor, IIRC
>>
>>44227052
Who would have thought that many dozens* of fans who read a text intensively are better proofreaders than a handful of people with no familiarity with the material?

*: Talking about the people actually reporting, not all that buy
>>
>>44225764
>If it was going to be any of them, it'd probably be Genius, and even that's a long shot cause that game's mechanics are pretty borked.
That and I'm pretty sure Moochava stopped caring about Genius years ago.
>>
>>44227022
I wish they'd let fans do layout editing. I really hate the layout of White Wolf books and I don't understand why after fucking 24 years of this shit they're still laying things out in the same terrible way that people always complain about.

Is it so difficult that they not put Merits off in the Ephemeral Entities section? Or not put a Derangement in the section on the Hedge? I mean, I can understand things like the Jiangshi being in the section on the Triangle instead of in the clan chapter, but holy fuck, why do they keep putting Merits and Derangements and rules in the fluff sections?

Why do I need to jump around the book to figure out what Werewolves need at character creation instead of looking at the character creation section? Why doesn't the character creation chapter tell me Werewolves have personalized Harmony Breaking Points as well as personalized Kuruth triggers? Why is that something found some-fucking-where else?

And why do they KEEP doing this!?
>>
Could a Tzmisce cure physical disabilities in Kine
>>
>>44227932
I think a large part of it is that a lot of the mechanics are informed by the setting.

It kind of puts them in the spot where they either have to do it the way they are or really go all-out on the cross references.

"Okay, here is a Merit. If you do not understand its context, go check out pg. XX"

"So here is this setting information and the ABC Merit on pg. XX feeds into that"

"Werewolves have personalised Kuruth Triggers. If you do not know what Kuruth or Kuruth Triggers are, check out pg. XX"
>>
>>44223897
Im still waiting for you to post your paste bin in the /erpg/ general Rory.
>>
>>44228297
But they already do that. They tell you to add Gifts to your character, then the Gift rules are later. The section on Fighting Styles doesn't have merits that let you ignore armour and then go "see more about Armour on page XX".

I mean, the character creation reference should REALLY tell you everything you need for a starting character. I've had to know something was missing to know what my players needed. I mean, if I hadn't done my due diligence (and even then I haven't done enough of it) I wouldn't even know about those. They just happened to be listed on Mr Gone's sheet template so I knew to look for them.
>>
>>44228434
You quoted the wrong person, and I already did.
How do you know who I am, but you don't know my pastebin?
>>
>>44228434
>Im still waiting for you to post your paste bin in the /erpg/ general Rory.
Smiling Shade is the OTHER Geistfag.
>>
What is the reason for the popularity fading of world of darkness?
>>
>>44228612
I don't want to say "burst bubble"--since hobby games are an $880 billion industry--but the RPG industry has changed significantly since 1991. Gamers are no longer stuck with playing D&D, WoD, Shadowrun, or GURPS. On top of that, traditional publishing is much harder.

It doesn't help that White Wolf shot themselves in the foot when they merged with CCP, and even before then White Wolf has had problems like >>44227932 throughout it's existence, leaving at least some fans to give up and go with easier to get into properties.
>>
>>44228612
>>44228738

Yeah, White Wolf needed the CCP merger to continue to survive, but there were two problems:

1. CCP is and will always be focused on EVE Online. It's the one niche that no other MMO can have, and even CCP has found that lightning can't strike twice.

2. The publishing market, like a lot of markets, had a huge collapse around 2008. A lot of bookstore chains that would normally carry WoD products went under.

It didn't help that since Onyx Path is so tiny of a company, it chose to go digital only for a while. It made sense: Drive Thru is run by a White Wolf vet and it has continuously good loyalty and sales. But the tradeoff is that you lose a lot of new blood: many, MANY gamers got into the game through brick and mortar stores simply by thinking the cover was cool and impulse buying it. The digital sale system works when you want to KEEP your fanbase, but doesn't really expand it.

There's also another other possible reason: the kind of people who get into WoD now have their needs met by the plentiful bounty of supernatural media. Even their RP needs are met: freeform/non-traditional roleplaying, which is HUGE among that crowd.

White Wolf's media strategies are incredibly ambitious, but the logic is sound: the iron is still hot, and now is the time to strike. OPP clearly feels the same way, which is why Pugmire will be their first game to go retail.
>>
>>44229127
>A lot of bookstore chains that would normally carry WoD products went under.
I think it's worth noting that RPGs are doing great as a whole, but each individual RPG has to struggle a lot more, and a lot of names like WoD--which had already lost a lot of fans from the switch to nWoD--had trouble keeping up with that, especially with WW's major problems detailed above. Basically, even if they hadn't merged with CCP, White Wolf would have had trouble staying afloat if they relied on working the same way they always did.

I think it's worth noting that a *lot* of rather successful RPG companies do digital. The companies that are doing good these days are the ones with heavy brick and mortar presence as well as heavy internet presence. Things with very strong brand name. And also Iron Kingdoms, somehow.

I think if they can get books into retail, their fanbase will grow again, and they could definitely knock Iron Kingdoms out of the fifth spot (since I don't forsee the other four changing up too much).
http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32097/top-5-roleplaying-games-spring-2015
>>
>>44229335

Iron Kingdoms is probably in that spot because of Warmahordes's rising popularity. The WoD podcast I listen to used to have a 15-20 minute diversion about Iron Kingdoms occasionally.
>>
>>44229482
Still a bit weird. I barely ever hear about it. Star Wars and D&D are big names you'll know about even if you're not into RPGs, Shadowrun is super old, and Pathfinder actually took a lot of the wind out of D&D's sails.

Iron Kingdoms I've barely heard about, and only because I hang around super nerds.
>>
>>44229127
>Yeah, White Wolf needed the CCP merger to continue to survive:

I argue it has done more harm than good to White Wolf.
>>
>>44229505
It definitely did, but it was a thing they really needed. White Wolf started failing before the merger, and the merger killed them, but it was something they would have needed.

Bad decision in hindsight, but something they would have wanted in the moment.
>>
>>44229547

Yeah. In hindsight it was a bad idea, but at the time the merger was a question of "do we fall apart right now, or in the future?" Things were looking real grim for White Wolf in 2005-2007. WW ironically played it too safe with nWoD and it took a while for it to find its footing, time that White Wolf didn't realize they couldn't afford until the writing was on the wall. Merger seemed like the right choice.

I think that in the end it was. I don't think the Onyx Path situation would have been anywhere close to this if it wasn't for CCP's help in setting up such a sweetheart licensing deal. White Wolf would have almost certainly gone the way of WEG had they continued to try to go it alone.
>>
>>44229615
>WW ironically played it too safe with nWoD
What do you mean?
>>
>>44228487
I know you from f-list senpai I played the Tezime that just the pics from slasher. I played in your hunter game. And its because my computer shat its self
>>
>>44230120
Oh, hey. You should stop on by the channel, or 4chan/erpg/. I'm trying to run Werewolf, but had a problem with one of my players, and the setting might be a little too overwhelming for another of my new players.
>>
File: davidcage.jpg (27 KB, 283x424) Image search: [Google]
davidcage.jpg
27 KB, 283x424
>>44230145
what;s the setting
>>
>>44230145
I do go on the /erpg/ and will probably make a new f-list sometime, just been busy with the wage slaving. Werewolf would be dam fun to play as well plus where a great gm.
>>
>>44230254
Gotham City.

Ah fuck it.
http://whenisgood.net/erpg_sexy_nwod_game_for_attractive_smart_people

>>44230345
Pfff. I only managed like two sessions, and the game was too late for you to actually be there. Actually, this one would probably have the same problem. Only time I can get everyone together is 8PM on Thursdays.
>>
>>44230451
Hey maybe if I get off my ass we can do a scene at least.
>>
>>44225324
A stadium on a tiny island? Hi traffic!

Morons.
>>
File: Gotham with Burnside.jpg (574 KB, 1058x1659) Image search: [Google]
Gotham with Burnside.jpg
574 KB, 1058x1659
>>44230585
>Implying I actually RP.
I'm hoping running a game will help with that.

>>44230686
Probably traffic all over the city, especially in China Basin.
>>
>>44230094
They were so scared of alienating their oWoD playerbase and so hellbent on making sure you could still play basically the same character as before that their first game (Vampire: the Requiem) basically came off as a bland, watered-down version of its predecessor game.

As nWoD progressed it did start to develop its own identity separate from oWoD (DaveB has given rundowns in these threads before on the fundamental differences between Awakening and Ascension, for example) but a lot of people think that was too little, too late as far as 1e nWoD went.

And considering there are STILL a bunch of oWoD grognards who are buttmad about 1e nWoD trying to replace their favourite game, they might not be wrong.
>>
>>44230818

It didn't help that the first three cores of the setting were not the best. Requiem's solid but not initially different enough from Masquerade to make its own identity, Forsaken's got some layout and organization issues, and Awakening's 1e core is such a hot mess that it needed two or three suppliments to settle out.

While Promethean got decent buzz as "the best game you'll never play", I don't think 1e nWoD truly began coming into its own until Changeling the Lost's core.
>>
Does anybody know where to download M20 and the various kickstarter accessories?
>>
File: 1856 pepe.png (96 KB, 235x192) Image search: [Google]
1856 pepe.png
96 KB, 235x192
>>44231504
http://drivethrurpg.com/
>>
>>44231621
I know lad I just was making a joke, but as far as I know the KS stuff hasn't been put up. Not sure about the m20 one either bought it myself desu check the mega in the OP
>>
>>44231658

The only way you get the KS stuff is to have pledged for it, so it'll take a while for any of those to show up in the usual places.
>>
>>44231692
Why did Onyx decide to do that? These books should be available to everyone willing to shell out the cash for it. But no, we have to pirate if we missed the original window.
>>
>>44231737
Part of the reason for people jumping on it and shelling out the cash was because it was a limited special edition.
>>
>>44231892
>>44231737

Onyx Path tends to be good about eventually putting the KS PDF-only rewards on sale, so it's really just a matter of being patient.
>>
>>44232262
>>44231737
V20 is being sold in Germany and Austrian LGS, though they've got the power of the DSA company behind them.
>>
Which of the mage Paths have the weakest summoners? Or lore for their summoners to utilize and build off of?
>>
>>44232846

I guess Acanthus? Obrimos can summon angels, Mastigos can summon Goetia and technically everyone with Space, and Thyrsus can summon full blow Spirits.
>>
>>44232924
Obrimos can only summon Angels (Seraphim and Cherubim, I think) because of their Path. Acanthus can summon Fae (Anachronisms and Moirae) from their Path, too.
That'd make both of them the least summoning capable by default, though you could argue that Obrimos can "summon" constructs, at least in 1e. I don't think they can actually do anything like fight, though.
>>
>>44232924
I'd put the Mastigos right up there with the Acanthus.
Goetia is difficult to learn, hubris is a problem and most mages scrutinize them pretty heavily. And if they just summon things from the Astral, they're second class Thrysus.
>>
Uratha and Garou meet each other. Would they like each other or not?
>>
>>44233140
The Garou are basically the Pure, so no.
>>
>>44233152

If nothing else, the moment a Red Talon opens their mouth, the Blood Talons declare Siskur-Dah because there's a Predator King RIGHT THERE.
>>
File: cat_face_eight_by_a_gregory.jpg (733 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
cat_face_eight_by_a_gregory.jpg
733 KB, 800x1200
>Mage: The Awakening Second Edition
>6 of 9
>>
>>44225820
>Just to be clear, I want to elaborate on two existing ones, namely the Illuminated Brotherhood and the Maiden's Blood Sisterhood. With the revised CoDa rules it'd now be very interesting to have them be elaborated upon.
Just to be clear, those are shit compacts and they don't need your dumbfuck gaze to be shitting them up worse AND costing us precious wordcount in HtV.
>>
>>44233632
The schedule is a big fat lie.
>>
>>44233798
Good thing your opinion doesn't matter. I hope Monica makes them core.
>>
>>44233856
She's smarter than that. If anything she'll know those are chaff to be cut along with 80% of the rest of the splatbook compacts that no one plays.
>>
>>44233881
But people love the splatbook groups. Not all of them, but some of them.
>>
>>44233881
>>44233856
>>44233798

Ya'll know that very few submissions for Open Calls show up in the books, right? It's more about showing off your creativity and your ability to work with limited wordcounts.
>>
Right then, I have now submitted my Gifts design article to Stew. We'll see what he thinks of it; I hope it'll end up on the blog soon.

If it's a success I'll ask if I can do a Rites article next.
>>
>>44233939
No one loves The Night Watch or The Talbot Group or Division Six. They're rumps and all this nonsense about 'fitting all the C&Cs into the corebook' is a bad idea and no one takes it seriously. I'm sure Monica will just pick out the best among the splats and either turn them into core or give them a page each, maybe trim down the Endowments and tie them directly to Status.

Either way when weighed against the best, Maiden's Blood Feminazis and Illuminated Literially Whos? don't make the cut.
>>
I've heard many people say many different things, but how is a character supposed to feel when they suffer degeneracy and lose humanity or morality?
>>
>>44233996
Indeed, I think I'm a bit of an unusual case in that my submission did end up in altered form in the Werewolf core book. If I ever get to work on a more full write-up of Hive-Claimed in a supplement then I may even get to use more of my original submission there.
>>
>>44234049

Dude, chill out. Who said anything about putting all the Compacts and Conspiracies in core? Is there any reason to believe that there's going to be anything more than the core C&Cs? It's not like someone trying out for Hunter by writing about some of the other C&Cs is automatically going to put them in.
>>
>>44234049
No one loves the Loyalists of Thule or the Long Night, either.

Also Maiden's Blood aren't "feminazis", and why wouldn't they put in all the Compacts? They're putting in all the Kiths.
>>
>>44234141

See, I had a feeling it was you that got yours in, but I didn't want to just assume. Really excited for the blog post, I hope it gets up!

>>44234050

1e made it seem like the response to losing Morality and Degenerating is "Man, fuck them and fuck you too!" or "Meh, I don't care". It's an outright denial that what you did was bad or an acceptance of your bad deeds with no regrets, as opposed to "I'll make this right, I promise!" or "Never again!" that comes with succeeding a degeneration roll.
>>
File: hot spider lady.jpg (238 KB, 1600x1341) Image search: [Google]
hot spider lady.jpg
238 KB, 1600x1341
>>
>>44234184
>Also Maiden's Blood aren't "feminazis"
They specifically in their write up look down on men and won't allow them beyond the lowest levels of the compact. If there a were a male version of this in any book there'd be an uproar.

>They're putting in all Kiths
It takes a paragraph for a Kith, a Compact is a multi-page affair even without an Endowment.
>>
>>44234184

The Compacts need significantly higher word count than Kiths. The writeup on Kiths are a short fluff piece, a quick write up, and six incarnations based on Seeming. That's all you need to get across. A compact needs at least how the organization works, what they hunt, and what the benefits are.

Given that a chunk of the book is going to have to be the 2e rules summary, I'd say that we should expect nothing but the original core factions to show up, maybe even with a few of them cut.
>>
>>44234184
Question is, at what point do you not have enough space to do them justice any more?

The original HtV Core was ~380 pages, only slightly less than the MtA Core.

Now, you can cut a lot of the Merits and Equipment (as it is now in the CofD Core), trim the fiction, trim the general monster descriptions, a bit. And then what?

You need to have Slasher Generation (as this is the Slasher Chronicles, expect roughly as much space used on them as for the Idigam or Strix) and people probably want more Dread Powers. Every group that has Endowments need those in the book, too, unless they go with a sort of Dread Power-esque system that you just adapt to the group.

Unless they do every C&C in a paragraph (perhaps giving the highlights a two or three pager) I do not see how that would work.
>>
Can spirits and people have kids?
And I'm using the word "people" here loosely.
>>
>>44234383
No, not really. Although I think things would get interesting if a Claimed got pregnant/got someone pregnant...
>>
>>44234383

Unless your name is either Urfarah or Luna, probably not.
>>
>>44234412
Well then it might probably result in their kids becoming Claimed at some point by a similar spirit.
>>
>>44234412

I kind of want to see that end up as a Demon Offspring type deal, but this >>44234578 is probably more likely.

What if the Claimed didn't want their kid to become Claimed, though? Why let another spirit have what's theirs? There's a fun adventure for you: a Claimed shows up at a Pack's door begging protection for their child. It'd probably just end at "then the Storm Lord eats the Claimed" but it's at least something to think about.
>>
>>44234184
>No one loves the Long Night
Of the people I know who actually game and like Hunter, Long Night is the group they like best.
>>
>>44234662
Imagine entire claimed families
>>
>>44234745
Are there people who DON'T like hunter?
>>
>>44234745

I like The Long Night. And for that matter, I like the Loyalists of Thule, too. I think the only splats I don't really care for in Hunter core are Ashwood Abbey and the Ascending Ones. Even then my longest running character was an Abbey member. Hunter core's a list of some pretty solid factions, really.

If I were to make a single request for any non-core faction to be in Hunter, it'd be VASCU. Not only because it's the Slasher Chronicle, it's because they're the one kind of Hunter Archetype that's missing from the core. TFV only kind of touched on it.
>>
>>44234184
I (and the only other person in my group who particularly cares about Hunter) like the Long Night, mostly for their Merciful subfaction.
>>
On the subject of adjusting Hunter factions for 2e, it'd be nice to have the Malleus Maleficarum actually hunt witches and demon-worshipers and shit instead of Vampires.
>>
>>44235106
It was clarified later why that is, but I think that reason is generally viewed as one the same level as TFV being financed by vampires. I think the only reason the MM being led by a rogue ghoul does not get as many people's panties in a bunch is that the MM IS DEM DERE DIRTY CATHOLICS.

But yeah, having more actual witch-hunting would be neat. Although, now that I think about it, how many C&Cs did the core book have that focus on one or two kinds of supernaturals over others?

Wasn't it just AKD having a hate-boner for wolves and wizards and the MM for vamps?
>>
>>44235106

The fluff reason's a fair enough explanation, but yeah, more Hammer of Witches stuff would be great. A rogue faction of the Malleus Mallificarum that's sedevacanist would be cool too.
>>
>>44234269
>If there a were a male version of this in any book there'd be an uproar.

there are gangs of murder-rapists in hunter. i think you're underestimating people's ability to realize that fictional organizations with fictional beliefs ≠ writer's opinions.
>>
>>44235455

>there are gangs of murder-rapists in hunter.

Excuse you, but the Ashwood Abbey would like you to know that the proper term is "classy, refined people of good taste, who simply wish to know the supernatural. Biblically."
>>
File: yes its me.jpg (46 KB, 424x500) Image search: [Google]
yes its me.jpg
46 KB, 424x500
>>44234813

Me
>>
>>44236079
does your hunter always turn into a serial killer
>>
So why does no one talk about mummy in these threads? I'm guessing it's because it's such a funky game?
>>
>>44236710

Some folks talk about Mummy. There's me, there's the person whose sad that people don't talk about Mummy, and there's like one other person.

I figure it's not just that it's a pretty different game from the rest of the CofD (for good most of the time and for bad in very specific ways), it's also that it's had a more sporadic book schedule than most and also Mummies are a pretty niche monster. It's a fun game, though, you just have to deal with some janky bits and a lot of jargon.
>>
>>44236935
What are the very specific bad points? I'm not great at figuring out when somethings jank and the like. Is it mechanical problems or the odd charecter parts?
>>
>>44220730
Requiem for Rome doesn't have the Ventrue; in it's place are the Julii, which are kind of the Ventrue and have a different weaness that's similar to the Ventrue. I didn't have much of a desire for it, but I really have trouble running or playing in heavily historical settings. Nowadays, I'd probably run it as a pastiche of stuff like 300 and Spartacus, with heavy doses of Vampire politics.

>>44220838
It depends on what you have set up for plot seeds and threads, just like you would in D&D. Are there crazy masterless ghouls in the ghetto? Are there necromancers raising the dead within the gangs of the North Quarter to consolidate power? Is the Prince possessed by a Strix? Is that crazy Nosferatu who lives in the abandoned subway station really in the know about that orb that smells of blood? Why do the cops always avoid the Haliwell Manor area?

Investigations, supernatural mystery, and vampire politics are the typical ways that I run Requiem, with combat coming in various places as necessary and natural.
>>
So if a Daeva feeds from a Mage twice, is she blood bond to the Mage?
>>
>>44237223
she has a chance to, if her curse is in effect

do keep in mind that the Daeva curse isn't like a blood bond, it's destructive and almost always ends in the Daeva killing the object of their obsession
>>
>>44236985

After about two years or so of playing Mummy, I'd say that the big problems with it are the shifting target numbers for certain Utterances (it's fine for the Descent mechanics, though), vague wording for some of the powers, a core book layout messed up by a need for the game to have "secrets" (which was abandoned by the rest of the line so good job there), and a very vague set of building rules for Relics and Vestiges, a key part of the game.

These aren't total deal breakers, but it's stuff that I really wish was given more thought, considering that the rest of it's pretty good.
>>
Can anyone give me a few Changeling plot seeds? I'm new to being a ST and I'm only really doing it to help some friends, so this is my first time and I'm struggling on plot seeds. Well and a overall plot but whatever, I gotta work out some things myself.
>>
>>44237467
Dreaming or Lost?
>>
>>44237528
Lost. I ain't touching Dreaming until the 20th edition comes out.
>>
>>44236935
Also that the book outright tells you not to read half of it unless you're actively planning on running Mummy.

And most people aren't actively planning on running Mummy.
>>
>>44237317
The relics and vestiges thing is the hugest downfall, these are things you're supposed to be hunting and, I mean I know WoD has always kind of had shitty magic item creation rules but come on guys, it's not impossible to lay out a system of rules for creating a quick and easy relic. Talismans are a lot closer to good but still not there yet.
>>
>>44237597
Let's see...
* A local hob village has reported finding a mine of amazing, indestructible crystal under their fields, and they are looking to farm the crystal and sell to the highest bidder.
* A new designer drug is allowing people to see a Changeling's Mein.
* A strange mirror has appeared in the Hedge; when you use it, it makes you small like a pixie for a time, and when you change back you leave sparkly footprints for a while.
* There's a river with giant catfish. A local Changeling who fancies himself and his motley as pirates are planning to harness the giant, man-eating fish for their own purposes.
* Rats are running around the Hedge. Rats of humanoid size and shape, wearing expensive Russian military and royalty coats. They talk about the arrival of their King, the King of Crawling Filth, and the arrival of the Block Castle.
* A duo of Changelings has appeared, a Gristlegrinder and a Fairest in German outfits, asking Changelings to help them find their grandmother. They reek of cooked gingerbread and candy.
* Mortals are disappearing, and the Changelings have found them in the Hedge, in the care of a Hobgoblin. The Hob claims the people came to them, and are chained by their own will -- their own obsessions and vices.
>>
>>44237728
Speaking of someone who plays and enjoys Mummy, I feel the issues with the system are largely one of organization. It feels like an oWoD game in that its trying to tell you a story as well as give you stuff to work with, and I find myself just wanting stuff to work with.

There's no supplement for loyalist arisen, guildhalls is wildly lopsided, there's no guide to relic creation, no difference worth a damn between relics and vestiges, no further coverage of cults or abilities to improve your followers unless you're an antagonist splat. Every time we repeat information from the core or within a book because of the player/gm split, you're wasting space that could be spent on these things.

The great revelation is fairly obvious from a look at the themes of the game. Ultimately this kind of development had its hayday in the 90s and even the Deadlands guys finally admitted it was more trouble than its worth, but here we are with a line with much fewer supplements and much less support having wasted space.

Mechanics wise, besides relics, Descent needs a retool. It should be tied to story beats instead of abstract time, and while Mummy talks a big game about starting you off at the height of your power, you have 20 xp. Not enough for the pillars, affinities and utterances to make a newly risen Mummy the force it should be, let ALONE merits and skills. Remember this is 1E experience, which soaks up like, well, water in the desert unless you specialize like a motherfucker. This, tied in with the three odd different ways to enhance memory, doesn't create the ticking clock feel that Descent is supposed to. Its more of a hassle for a GM than a reminder of your spiritual bondage to the alien Judges-their ability to steal Sekhem accomplishes that much better.

Off the top of my head I'd say make a Descent roll correspond to accomplishments; regaining Memory, doing your cult or judge's bidding, and other actions that would make the Judges recall you.
>>
Shit, I just had a CtL idea that might be kind of dumb but now I can't shake it.

Did anyone else read that Mirrors book, Infinite Macabre? The one about running nWoD in a space opera setting that was incredibly vague and featured astronomy "facts" that would make a first-grader facepalm? Well one detail I liked about it was the suggestion of using the Hedge in a way similar to WH40K's Warp, a very dangerous kind of hyperspace.

What if, in an otherwise normal CtL game, a giant crashed spaceship turns up in the local Hedge. The surviving members of its crew all appear human, and claim to be from a spacefaring civilization that uses the Hedge to cross interstellar distances. Are they from the future, some kind of retroactive flotsam in Arcadia's nonlinear time? Are they confused escapees from some gentry's sci-fi inspired realm who somehow managed to get out unchanged? Are they disguised hobgoblins trying to lure curious changelings to their doom? And setting aside the people for a moment, can their vessel be repaired?
>>
>>44237467

- An Exiled Fey turns the entire city into his own amusement park.
- A pack of werewolves have gone missing in the hedge and the local courts want them out of there.
- A dragon sleeps in the subway system and some greedy hunter organizations want what it holds.
- For unknown reasons fetches all over the city are suddenly aware of their real nature and start going insane because of it.
- Tabloids go nuts over a supposed "UFO crash" on the outskirts of the city and government officials dragging a group of unidentified human figures into a black truck.
>>
>>44238368

>And setting aside the people for a moment, can their vessel be repaired?

Hopefully it's made of things that can be repaired like metal and not like, sticks or something.
>>
Well, that's interesting.

A new interview with WW indicates they're going to rewrite canon from 2003 onwards for the OWoD. Which means they're jettisoning Gehenna and any plans for the next edition to be post-end of the world.
>>
>>44238659
Well thats lame as hell, but I guess at least we won't have to worry about what would have been a huuuuuuge clusterfuck?
>>
File: 0 of 10.jpg (216 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
0 of 10.jpg
216 KB, 1280x720
>>44238659

Source or it's fucking lies
>>
>>44238659

I had a feeling they'd do that. It's the smart thing to do, really. This way you can ease the old fans back in.
>>
>>44238782
http://elsewherenightly.com/p/white-wolf-ccp-canon-and-netflix/
>>
>>44238659
I am dissapointed, but not surprised.

Oh well, I got my beloved CofD anyway.
>>
Are there any good fan made alternate settings for NWOD like the Shards in Mirrors?

On that note, how would I do a Wild West Shard? A World of Dark Western, if you will.
>>
mage rule/crossover specific shit

>>44238587

trying to fuse ascension sphere's with awakening practices
>>
>>44239124
not fan made but combine second sight/the god machine chronicles with Kult.

thank me later
>>
>>44239193
Actually, I'll thank you now. That sounds badass.
>>
>>44239166
Why? If you hate new mage just run old mage.
>>
>>44239124

A good horror Western setting, I think, needs to make a clear emphasis between the two spheres of the world that a frontier scenario creates. There is a hard line between the world of the civilized and the world beyond, between peace and violence, and between safety and death. It's all pretty clear and delineated except for the people. For people, there's an ugly blend of both, and that's where the tension lies.
>>
>>44234269
First off, it says that men tend to have to work harder. Second, dude, most of literally everything requires women to work harder. Not everything is equivalent. A compact of only women doesn't cause an uproar because women tend to get shafted quite a lot in life.

Third: People like you constantly complain about the Maiden's Blood Sisterhood. Every time they come up someone complains that "if there were an all male compact people would be in an uproar", as if most weren't already implied to be very masculine. I mean for fucks sake they have two Brotherhoods and you're getting upset about one Sisterhood.

>>44234289
>>44234338
I suppose that's true, but at the same time I want some of the supplement groups to get more attention and some of the core ones to... not.

As for what you could cut, I think the Endowment R&D is completely useless and doesn't really need to be there. I'd rather have information on creating a Compact or Conspiracy out of whole cloth, possibly with Dread Powers that work better and could function as Endowments without much tweaking.

You also could do some of the Compacts in broader strokes. Not all of them, but some.

>>44234816
I feel that groups like the Loyalists of Thule and the Null Mysteriis are kind of hard to work with as player characters in a proper Hunter game. They're not the type that actually *hunt* in the typical way, and the Loyalists really only have a tentative connection to monster Hunting in the first place. They'd really be better off in a corebook companion for factions and groups. I'd like to see a bluebook that talks about things like the Loyalists, the Deva Corp, things like that. Plus, the Loyalists' whole "we helped the Nazis" thing is even less reasonable in 2015 than it was in 2008.

>>44235352
>>44235271
>>44235106
Aegis really should just be left out of Core. I mean, you'd have to add Mummies and probably Demons and Beasts to their whole "they broke the world!" thing and at that point fuck it.
>>
So what games have a second edition now. This is all confusing. What is canon and what isnt.
>>
>>44239124
I really need to make a proper fantasy and cyberpunk and space opera setting.

>>44239648
Deadlands WoD.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.