[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the Cyberpunk games /tg/. I've been wanting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: cyberpunk.jpg (1 MB, 2479x3229) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
1 MB, 2479x3229
Tell me about the Cyberpunk games /tg/. I've been wanting to do a cyberpunk setting but I dont want the fantasy elements like in Shadowrun. Are there better alternatives?
>>
>>44216898
>Are there better alternatives?
GURPS. Some nigger will come in here shilling Interface Zero, but GURPS Cyberpunk/Cyberworld is best.

There's Cyberspace if you want to play Rolemaster cyberpunk for some reason.
>>
>>44216898
A little while ago, some anons posted some stuff about running CP2020 classless by making the role skills normal skills. How do you handle the monthly earnings in this case? Use the highest one you qualify for, or sum the salaries from all the role skills?
>>
>>44217006
Actually I was asking about the game because I dont know anything about it. You seem to know it though so what are your feeling on it?
>>
>>44216951
I'll check out GURPS cyberpunk. Admittedly Ive been playing alot of System Shock (Both of them) so I've been wanting to do a setting like it.
>>
>>44216898
From a system point of view, leaving out the races and magic and playing Shadowrun as straight cyberpunk is really easy. Leaving those elements out of the backstory is also pretty easy.
>>
>>44216898
I've heard good things about Savage World's Interface Zero, though I have no experience with it. I played Cyberpunk 2020 back in the day and think the mechanics were designed by a bunch of 4th graders who were kept in separate rooms and not allowed to correspond with each other.
>>
>>44217344
Is it really? I loved the video games but I never picked up the books because of the fantasy elements.
>>
>>44217440
No Adepts or Mages: ignore those chapters, assign zero to the magic stat.
No non-Humans: ignore the race priority (if using priority) or build cost.
Ignore the bestiary, but heck, this is cyberpunk. How many animals were you going to use anyway?

No awakening, no goblinization, no Dragons, just other people being douchebags that need killing with high tech gear. And Shadowrun has LOTS of that.
>>
>>44216898
As a setting the Transhuman Space setting of GURPS is quite amazing. It is pretty much System Shock: Like cyberpunk but with a tinge of more advanced sci fi tech.

I don't even like GURPS as a system, but still Transhuman Space is the best setting/worldbook stuff I have ever read, and use it along with FATE or Savage Worlds depending on the type of adventure we are doing.
>>
>>44217138

Also the only RPG ever confiscated by the Secret Service for being a "manual for cybercrime". Written in part by one of history's legendary hackers.
>>
>>44217554

I agree that THS is one of the finest RPGs ever written, but it's not cyberpunk.
>>
>>44216898
If you want something like shadowrun but without fantasy, do 2020, but collapse the 3-battle phases into one phase.
>>
>>44216898
You just posted it
>>
>>44217554
This interests me greatly. Thanks anon.
>>
>>44217688
Mitnik?
>>
Cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>44217716
I agree. Like I was telling OP, it's like the System Shock games: has dystopian cyberpunk but with certain utopian sci fi style advanced tech, too.
>>
dont listen to the haters, CP2020 is legit... it all falls on the GM

Gurps seems alright but its just a lot of work
>>
I only wish that there would be a system that would not be as old as CP2020, but filled with magic n shit like shadowrun.
I guess there is EP, but that's more like space hard sci-fi and not the kinda cyberpunk that i want.
>>
File: Interface Zero 2.0.jpg (494 KB, 850x1199) Image search: [Google]
Interface Zero 2.0.jpg
494 KB, 850x1199
Go for Interface Zero. Best cyberpunk rpg setting in recent memory. Savage Worlds is also a kickass system. Very easy to run, prep and create your own content for. The IZ 2.0 book also has to be one of the most detailed and comprehensive books released for SW. There's just so much material here. Setting information and mechanics.
>>
>>44224082
It says that you need Savage Worlds Deluxe rules to play.
Does that mean Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition or something else?

Also what kinda system is it?
>>
File: uuueee.gif (498 KB, 500x593) Image search: [Google]
uuueee.gif
498 KB, 500x593
>4 years until 2020
>No commercially available combat cyberware

We have our priorities wrong as a species :(
>>
>>44224175
Well they did get robot hand to feel stuff so we are getting there.
>>
File: Savage Worlds Test Drive v6.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Savage Worlds Test Drive v6.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44224159
Yes. Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorers Edition is the latest version of the SW rules set and you can get the paperback for less than 10 bucks just about anywhere.

Here are the test drive version of the rules if you want to check it out.
>>
>>44224215
yeah thanks anon, prob gonna check out it and then get explorers edit and try to get my hands on IZ 2.0
>>
>>44224175
But we're getting Killer Autonomous Robots with AI though!

And constant Cyberwarfare stealing your personal info and credit cards!

Yay!
>>
>>44224082
So what things can you do in IZ 2.0?
>>
>>44216951
>some nigger will come in shilling interface zero
>shills GURPS faggotry
Take your autism simulator and get the fuck out, we want to actually have fun
>>
>>44225651
Be a replicant. Have cat ears.
Operate a fucking power armour mech suit. Hack people's shit using SR4e-style wireless hax. Get robot limbs. Hell, if you want to you can have a fucked up WWII Call of Cthulhu crossover, there is actually a book for this.

Basically anything you can do with a cyberpunk setting. System works pretty well for that sort of thing, but it is geared towards more action type games. Even if it is gritty action where getting shot fucks you up.
>>
>>44226095
What about social stuff like speaking, con n shit?
>>
>>44226300
Doable, but in-depth social rules aren't really Savage Worlds' strength. There is a decent enough system for social conflicts in the Deluxe core, though.

And IZ 2.0 has a grifter archetype all ready to go in the book among the other premades. Even they have some minor combat skills, mind you: sometimes you get made and the mark wants that money back with interest, after all.
>>
>>44217554
>GURPS

Oh, I was wondering what all these shilling shits were talking about with Transhuman Space. So it's basically a blatant clone of Eclipse Phase, and all the people suddenly claiming it's shit are GURPSfags who can't bear that someone can play things other than autism simulator.
>>
>>44216898
Cyberpunk 2020 seems like your best bet. Maybe even 2013.
>>
>>44226402
Idk what you're talking about. Unlike Eclipse Phase THS is actually good though. Very good. Predicted things EP can't even begin to think about.
>>
>>44229681
>proving his point
>2015
>>
>>44224159
>>44224215
Isn't the only difference between Deluxe and Deluxe Explorers the format (and maybe a few bits of errata from Deluxe)? Deluxe is full-size (8.5" x 11") hardback and Deluxe Explorers is smaller-page (6.5" x 9") paperback.
>>
>>44224175
But we already have untouchable megacorps and the cybernetics are coming so don't worry
>>
>>44226057
He's right though
>>
>>44226057
>>44226402

Hello virtualoptim, shitting a new thread I see!
>>
>>44232363
So which one is better IZ 2.0 or GURPS?
>>
>>44232402
IZ hands down. GURPS Cyberpunk is super-outdated, like 1990s stuff. IZ 2.0 came out 2 years ago.
>>
>>44232881
How is hacking or cyberspace stuff in IZ 2.0?
>>
>>44232987
Pretty good. It has virtual reality as an option but mainly hacking occurs in augmented reality, with the ability to hack any virtual objects (like cars, doors, street lights) that you can see. It has software agents and black ic and the traditional programs.
>>
is this a general thread about the cyberpunk genre or the actual game? if just the genre i have a question for a homebrew im working on.

what are some non combat skills or "professions" that would be of use in a cyber punk universe other than hacking, field medic, or piloting?
>>
>>44226402
>a blatant clone of Eclipse Phase,
Apart from the bit where it predates EP by 7 years.
>>
>>44236627
This is /tg/. Linear time has no meaning here.
>>
>>44217138
For something like System Shock you'll definitely want to check out Bio-Tech for 4e even if you aren't intending to use the system. Transhuman-Space, while kind of dated, delves a lot into the technology and subject matter common in cyberpunk fiction so give that a read through as well.
>>
>>44232402

GURPS if you want to parse hundreds of pages to get all the rules you think you might need, and then spend weeks cobbling them together into something playable. IZ if you actually want to play.

Not saying GURPS is bad, you really can do anything with it, but you will literally do more prep time than actually playing the game. The people that suggest that you ought just read the core rules conveniently neglect to mention that they alone are 600+ pages long, without any kind of thematic organization (hundreds of skills/abilities are literally just sorted alphabetically).
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.