[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to try and play a character who has a mutation,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 600x338
I'm going to try and play a character who has a mutation, although the GM said I'll auto-fail every diplomacy and charisma roll if I do. How do I get around this?
>>
>>44214926
What's the mutation? You didn't give a whole lot of information.

Also, its the GM's game, he can do whatever he wants and you probably won't be able to do anything about but talk to him.
>>
>>44214926
By not playing in that GM's game.

Or explaining why you will auto-fail. That might help.
>>
by not playing in a WWII Germany Gurps setting, seriously not everybody is THAT ablest
>>
>>44214926
By not playing with a shit GM.
>>
>>44215048

>ablest
Or, "ableist"

Either way I don't think that's a real word, anon. Did you make that up or did it come from tumblr/1st year sociology (same thing)?
>>
Just wear a disguise 24/7
>>
>>44215117
Ableist checks out. It's a term for being prejudiced against crippled people. It's used in like racist or sexist.
>>
Who the fuck makes Diplomacy rolls?

Just use Intimidate. And crush niggas.

Or find some cute social sissy and bully them into being your walking diplomancer, upon punishment of death if they fail.
>>
Mutation: conjoined twins at the chest. Both heads fully functional and there's no heart issues because Magic cleric bullshit.
Setting: uncreative medieval Europe with magic setting and we're at nearly the most northward location on land.
>>
>>44215117
You mean he didn't mean "arbalest"? Like an oversized crossbow, with a steel prod
>>
>>44215001
He says that nobody would want to help me for any reason because I look really weird. Also forgot to add on that he (they) only have 2 arms
>>
File: the secret to tg.jpg (23 KB, 425x340) Image search: [Google]
the secret to tg.jpg
23 KB, 425x340
>>44214926
>>
>>44214926
Couldn't you just wear a cloak or something?
>>
>>44215210
What
>>
>>44215210
Wait is >>44215186 you? Are you basically an ettin?
>>
>>44215307
Yeah. Apparently people were really strict in going against conjoined twins that survive birth back in the Middle Ages.
>>
>>44214926
I don't know how your GM runs things, but Charisma does not quantify physical attractiveness.

A Charisma score represents a character's degree of influence and social skills. Someone who is mutated, or someone that has a physical deformity can still be very persuasive. (I could even imagine a mutated character using such a drawback as an advantage. "Don't kill me, for I am lame.")

Look at historical figures like The Elephant Man. He had a tumor in his head that was so hideous that it made women pass out. But he was also a great conversationalist, a well read individual, and a bit of an entertainer.

Your GM is just making a price for whatever benefit you're seeking out of thus mutation.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
>>44215344
Yeah. A quick google image search came up with pic, which is what I'm trying to go for.
>>
>>44215390
I'm not going to be that dude that says you are having badwrongfun but why?
>>
>>44215415
Thought it would be fun to play a wizard(s) who has two heads and one body, but needs to cooperate in everything they do so they can survive in a world of crazy shit.
>>
>>44215149
So it's a petty insult to throw at people with the wrong opinions. Alright.
>>
>>44215454
Oh. Couldn't you just wear a cloak and pretend to be a big dude? Or come up with some illusion to make it look like you only got one head?
>>
File: 1449087203787.jpg (1 MB, 600x3050) Image search: [Google]
1449087203787.jpg
1 MB, 600x3050
OP, the GM has given you incredible power to succeed every social encounter. Just behave contrary to the desired result. Try to piss someone off but fail and have them treat you nicely. You charm by grossing everyone out on person.
>>
>>44215210
That should just be a severe diplomacy or charisma penalty, not an auto-fail
>>
>>44215501
On purpose I mean
>>
>>44215488
I dont know man, it probably has its uses.
>>
>>44215488
Nope, you must be confused
>>
File: 847482_017.jpg (47 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
847482_017.jpg
47 KB, 320x240
>>44215210
>nobody would want to help me for any reason because I look really weird
>What is Quasimoto
>What is Elephant Man?
>What is Adam Sandler?
>>
>>44215454

That "works" better if you're controlling the character with an actual other person.

Otherwise it's just playing a game of checkers with yourself.
>>
>>44215590
In fairness back in the day they probably would have killed most people like that at birth.
>>
>>44215210
I can understand diplomacy failing, but what about intimidation? Being a freaky mutant would scare people a lot and you could probably threaten them into doing things
>>
>>44215390
I wouldn't approach them on the street to be fair
>>
>>44215627
Well one of the players rolled badly (AD&D) and would probably die soon so I think I'll be able to convince him to play my other half.
>>
>>44215629
I wish they killed Adam Sandler at birth.
>>
Build a combat-focused character and let the other PCs handle the talking.
>>
File: 52a.jpg (21 KB, 604x499) Image search: [Google]
52a.jpg
21 KB, 604x499
>>44215629
>Adam Sandler
>back in the day they probably would have killed most people like that at birth.

What an age to be alive.
>>
>>44215681
You'd better make sure the GM doesn't build encounters around the number of players
>>
>>44215710
>>44215700
There were a lot less shitty movies back in the day thats for sure. Probably because there were zero movies back then but still.
>>
>>44215713
Well if he does I can argue that the two heads are separate and should have their own mental stats, spell slots, and classes (that have to be similar to the other head's class).
>>
>>44214926
By taking a mutation that will let you auto-succeed every diplomacy and charisma roll.
>>
File: PetrusGonsalvus.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3002) Image search: [Google]
PetrusGonsalvus.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3002
>Petrus Gonsalvus (Pedro Gonzalez), referred to by Ulisse Aldrovandi as "the man of the woods," was born in 1537 in Tenerife. His life has been well chronicled as he became famous during his lifetime because of his condition (hypertrichosis).

> Despite living and acting as a nobleman, Gonsalvus and his hairy children were not considered fully human in the eyes of their contemporaries. All of his children who were similarly afflicted as their father were taken from their parents and gifted to various influential people as novelty pets.
>>
File: Ettin.jpg (48 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Ettin.jpg
48 KB, 250x250
>>44214926
>How do I get around this

You don't.

The GM simply ensured that all of the other players knew that you were willing to hinder the party in every single encounter just so YOU could be the speshul snowflake char. Congratulations, OP:

You're That Guy.
>>
>>44215738
...Anon you might be That Guy-ing the game.
>>
>>44217978
Well not every fucking adventurer is a perfect embodiment of purity and beauty. It gets boring enough that some people (OP) want to experiment as something else. And how the hell does having two heads fuck over the rest of the party in every single thing they do?
>>
>>44218074
I said that in response to some other anon saying "You'd better make sure the GM doesn't build encounters around the number of players" when someone suggested that two people play one character.
>>
>mutation=auto-fail diplomacy
How fucking shallow are people in the setting? Unless your a chaos beast or everyones a vapid teen girl from the suburbs it should only be a penalty against certain people.
>>
>>44218274
Ther was actually a supplement for 3.5 that had a bunch of "half races" and variant races in it. One of which was a race called "Ettinblood" or Ettincursed or something like that. They actually received a bonus to Charisma and intelligence.
>>
>>44218274
Apparently "Magic medieval Europe" is twice as albiest and thrice as suspicious as Europe actually was.
>>
>>44215210
Did your sister have to get in the tank? If so, did she tie her hair up, and does she enjoy that?
>>
>>44220129
Did you post in the wrong thread by accident? Is this a joke I'm not getting?
>>
>>44220434
>Is this a joke I'm not getting?
Yep.
>>
>>44215488
It's a Tumblr word people use to turn a simple matter of some people being considerate of others and some people being insensitive jerks into a grim matter of oppressors vs. oppressed. At least isn't as bad as the fat activism thing.
>>
File: wOZZjGg[1].jpg (706 KB, 1278x4993) Image search: [Google]
wOZZjGg[1].jpg
706 KB, 1278x4993
>>44220434
It's an old /tg/ thread about a guy complaining that he had to the doctors and get weighed in some kind of water tank.
Only he explained it all in the most roundabout way possible with as many irrelevant details as there could possibly exist.
>>
>>44220872
Thanks, I couldn't find the original. Shit blew my mind first time around.
>>
>>44220734
"Ableist" isn't about oppression, it's about prejudice.

I dislike you because you're black: racist.
I dislike you because you're crippled: ableist.

It's about categorical and preconceived negativity towards a demographic, not oppression.
>>
>>44215149
Too bad their understanding of handicapped goes from the physicly to mentally disabled, the fat, the lazy, the weak, dumb and the ignorant.

Anyone not 6foot tall with a solid job and passable mental health can be discriminated by ableists.
>>
>>44215210
>>44215501
Do this.

Go with the party, dump any points in charisma and diplomacy and be a combat monster.

Then follow the party around and go "for gods sake whatever you do don't give these bastards anything, they're assholes!"

Then tell the GM you're making a diplomacy check to get the enemy to kill the party.

You fail the check, and the enemy or any NPC are now favourably in with the party.

Just make sure the party knows this and prevent anyone killing you beforehand.
>>
>>44224061
Reverse psychology is still diplomacy, if I was GM in that game I would never let that fly.
>>
>>44224151
It's not reverse psychology, the character's an asshole who just fails miserably at his attempts at sabotaging the party.

Its reverse meta diplomacy if anything.
>>
>>44215390
Make them a "hunchback" rogue. They wear an ordinary hood that can hide one head at a time. And all they have to do to disguise is switch the hood to the other head.
>>
>>44224193
Then why would they keep him around? Or for that matter if he dislikes the party to the point he's trying to sabotage them, why is he hanging out with them in the first place.
>>
>>44224265
He does it because he hates the party, and also because he can't help but trail after them and curse them.

They allow it because it's fun to watch him fail and have everyone turn on them, and be ground into bitter tears at seeing his enemies benefit from his impotent rage.
>>
>>44224265
They keep him around becsuse hes so bad at it
>>
>>44218174
I would think for one, why the hell would the party want to have some fucking weirdo deformed guy join up with them in the first place? Taking the out of game "come on guys, team game here" conversation away, the parties response to such a grotesque individual would range from "ew, lets keep away from this weirdo" to "We should put him out of his misery/burn the unclean devil spawn!" campaign setting permitted.

I mean, come on guys, apart from everyone knowing that it's supposed to be a game played with friends, you can't say that any of your characters could ever have really questioned travelling together with certain strange individuals, can you? Have they always just been "Yeah, this seems fine" concerning every party meetup?
>>
>>44224311
"You seem trustworthy. Would you care to join us in our noble quest?"
>>
>>44224315
But that usually pertains to fairly "normal" character choices. Sure PC parties consist of extreme degrees of personality, but I'm talking more of the more off shoot. Like when someone wants to play a child character. Most "good" leaning parties would put a stop to that almost instantly. What sane individual would willing allow someone like that partake in a journey that is strewn with death and danger. Taking the out of game context out, the answer should be "very few".
>>
>>44224287
>>44224308
So what happens when the freak decides he has enough and just stabs them in their sleep or turn on them in the middle of a fight?
>>
>>44224358
They bring along halflings.
>>
>>44224382
I know, you know that's not the same thing.
>>
>>44215210
Your GM doesn't know shit about his own setting.

Medieval people frequently took disfigurements to be a kind of way of being more virtuous, along the lines of the whole "if you're poorer you have more opportunities to prove your virtue" shtick. Others just saw it as bad luck.
>>
>>44224406
Or, like most peoples definition when referring to running a "medieval" setting is "there's knights and shit."
>>
>>44224454
>>44224454
Well then he doesn't know how people work. People are willing to violate any set of morals and overcome any set of prejudice if it carries with it the promise of material reward. Well, generally; some people absolutely stick to their convictions (see: martyrs).
>>
File: ogre_magi_vert.jpg (20 KB, 235x272) Image search: [Google]
ogre_magi_vert.jpg
20 KB, 235x272
>>44214926
Two headed wizards can be likeable.
>>
>>44217928
>*chewbacca howl*
>>
File: hM3z4vR.png (274 KB, 1025x358) Image search: [Google]
hM3z4vR.png
274 KB, 1025x358
>>44224046
Are you for real?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.