[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you play the roleplay side of a mech based campaign?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11
File: 1426141345977.jpg (167 KB, 798x1002) Image search: [Google]
1426141345977.jpg
167 KB, 798x1002
How would you play the roleplay side of a mech based campaign?

Not Evangelion please.
>>
I dunno, whatever I think would be interesting I guess?
>>
Both Mekton Zeta and MechWarrior have advice on that.
>>
Ran a Battletech campaign for a bit before schedulign issues tore it apart. ANd I just ran everyone as part of a military unit. They were stationed at a specific base, mapped out the surrounding area, had plenty of NPCs both Military and Civilian to interact with. Sent them on training runs, had them fight pirates and "pirates that oddly speak the language and use the mechs of our hostile neighbors". Had some of the hijinks that ensue on a backwater base, gambling rings, black marketeers, surprise inspections. It was a little bit Generation Kill+Robotech+Sgt Bilko.
>>
Patlabor.
>>
>>44214087

The campaign I'm running right now is basically Cowboy Bebop except with mercenaries with mechs going around the galaxy and its worked quite well so far.
>>
>>44214605
That sounds awesome. Like really awesome.
>>
>>44214736
It was. I have set up the ENTIRE BATTALION that the players are a part of. Every Member statted out, every vehicle, shift schedules. Maps of everything around them (most of the maps are stolen from real places, but hey the golden rule of DMing, Take what you can and give nothing back). Main idea of the campaign was that they were set on one of the back water worlds that doesn't see much action until the Clan Invasion, having set them two years prior to give them plenty of time to get good enough to survive those battles. Shame the game only lasted about 2 months, but work is work mang.
>>
>>44214941
>ENTIRE BATTALION
>Typically a battalion consists of 300 to 800 soldiers
I don't believe you.
>>
>>44214087

That is going to depend on the campaign's story, obviously. The easiest way is to make all the pilots part of the same military/paramilitary/mercenary force, to keep them together. Once you establish the group, it is the same as with other military-based rpg's, the roleplaying simply comes from living in this odd world, where orders and regulations structure your day but somehow those do not always fit and so people carve out a life for themselves. Any organisation with mecha should have a massive support staff, ranging from mechanics to command staff to security to cooks to feed the lot of them. These are great for setting up a more personal story then "go to base X and kill everyone".
This also a great way for rewarding players for not dumping their xp in just the 2-3 stats and skills useful for mecha piloting.
>>
>>44215040
That sounds like it would be awesome. Shame that the chances of finding a GM and group willing to run a campaign like that are up there with being able to swim to China.
>>
>>44214982
Not infantry battalion. Mech Battalion, it's like 40ish or so guys. Though if I get bored for two months I might end up statting the entire base out.
>>
>>44214982
I'm mildly masochistic but not that much...haven't made that many characters outside of Marvel Superheroes and that was with a generator.
>>
>>44214605
>>44214941

Congrats, Steve, you're officially a Cool Dude.
>>
>>44214982
>>44215141
Do not underestimate the awesome power of AccountantTech. Battletech General will have a lot of potential inspiration. And multicolored birds of various strength.
>>
>>44214605
Wow, can I be in your next group?
>>
File: KrVoPeo.png (1016 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
KrVoPeo.png
1016 KB, 1280x720
With child soldier pilots executing people, soup cooking, dates (like the fruit) and tomatoes shaped like butts.
Flags optional.
>>
08th MS Team. There's locals and military personnel to interact with. MASH with giant robots.
>>
>>44215273
Gratzi Anon.

>>44215304
I do not underestimate anything lol Except burger joints claiming to the best.

>>44215305
If I every find the time, job is demanding and have other game commitments sadly. :(
>>
>>44215373
>If I every find the time, job is demanding and have other game commitments sadly. :(
I understand. Last GM I had was a cunt, but he ran a solid game. Kinda lost interest in that game after my guy got his head sliced off by a booby-trap in the second session, though.

Considered trying GMing myself once or twice, but I don't think I'd be very good at it. Never been particularly good with people, I'm probably a bit of an Aspie.
>>
>>44215320

Don't forget the mafia pirate with the giant harem and all the underage gay subtext. Those make it extra sophisticated.

Also, if you have an "ace" suit, give it a giant blunt weapon, swords are for pussies.
>>
>>44215419
Second session? jesus christ, I tend to run the first little adventure (3-5 sessions on average) with a bit of mercy. And you never know, might be good at GMing, just have to find the right system and genre you like. I love superhero games but I can't run them worth a shit. But I can run the fuck out of Feudal Japan, Mechs and Horror games. Hate the shit out of Fantasy Settings but I can run a pretty good DnD game. I'd suggest grabbing a module or decent length adventure and give it a shot.
>>
>>44215684
I'd love giving a mech game a try, especially if it was as well fleshed-out as the BT one you mentioned up yonder. Reminds me of the first GM I met, great guy, met him on here actually, he ran a homebrewed X-COM game adapted from DtD. I was starting to make my character into the Winter Soldier, but then he canceled the game because he was teaching IRL and it was eating up all his time.
>>
I'm working on a world that takes inspiration from the 1850s-1930s.

How should I make the mecha pilots adventure friendly? Mercenaries in the world's equivalent of Darkest Africa?
>>
>>44215792
>1850s-1930s.
>mecha
Is this some steampunk shit?
>>
File: Vanguard Final.png (2 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Vanguard Final.png
2 MB, 1200x1200
>>44215812
Dieselpunky, with some wacky technology. 1850s is about the level the continent of Carthacia is on, but it goes up to 1930s for the continent of Aquileon.
>>
File: Sasuga Tomino.png (323 KB, 500x411) Image search: [Google]
Sasuga Tomino.png
323 KB, 500x411
>>44215320
Gundam needs to be allowed to die. G Reco proved this.
>>
>>44214087
>car plate
>exposed length of pipe

Fucking why
>>
>>44214087
mechs have become a military standby but older outdated models are sold to the public. These are used in the mech combat sport called "Rumbling" methods used to acquire these mechs vary, criminal affiliation is common.

A world wide economic downturn has led to extreme poverty and urban decay, cities will often wall off slums and use them as rumbling arenas before gentrification is attempted by local land owners.

the mechs use artificial intelligences based off the brain engrams of animals, indeed these AIs have human rights and are becoming a part of every day life.
>>
>>44215843
not until Thunderbolt comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgBwch9eR8I
>>
File: g gundam.jpg (296 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
g gundam.jpg
296 KB, 1024x768
>>44214087
With martial arts and ridiculous national stereotypes.
>>
File: tank men.jpg (77 KB, 457x600) Image search: [Google]
tank men.jpg
77 KB, 457x600
>>44214087
>>44214087
pick any PC. the commanding officer has something against them, and will make reasonable efforts to fuck with their career.
>>
>>44215916
oh shoot, wrong trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6jTb2FQ_ow
>>
>>44215843
IBO is the best Gundam in years, go back to /m/ and rejoin your brethren with shit taste and a joy of being contradictory for the sake of being contradictory.
>>
>>44216006
>IBO is the best Gundam in years,
That's not hard.
>>
>>44214087
Ring of Red might be good place to draw inspiration from. Its a military based off mechs with Infantry support.
>>
>>44215766
Go for man, get the battletech books and the mechwarrior rpg. Only downside to it is that for mech Combat you ahve to use the rules for the Minis instead of the normal RPG. OR you could pick up Palladium's Robotech stuff. Had an idea for a Robotech game (haven't had the free time to run it sadly) that starts at the same time as the series, at Macross island, but is set on a Submersible carrier rather than the SDF1. Where the party and the remnants of the military have to contend with the Zentradi forces that stayed behind to conquer earth rather than go and hunt down the main group.
>>
>>44216077
>using Palladium
God no, get Mekton Zeta.
>>
>>44216025
True, but come on, the tech and look of the series is gorgeous. Everything is gritty, dirty, and industrial. Mobile suits are war machines with visible mechanical parts instead of sleek and human. And most of all the fucking grunt suits don't have paper armor and explode in one hit! They actually take a beating before going down and every hit looks and sounds like a real solid machine on machine blow.
>>
>>44215766
>>44216077
one issue to keep in mind is that BT's mech fighting game is very, very simulationist. This is both it's main strength and it's greatest weakness. Don't even bother trying to fight more than 4 mechs at once, you won't be able to keep track of it with anything resembling efficient speed.
>>
>>44216098
Never used Mekton Zeta, so I suggested a system I know. However Palladium isn't that bad...it's not amazing, but it's not horrid.
>>
>>44216143
That was a bit of a downside, I was hoping to have figured out a system to pick up the pace but didn't last long enough to figure it out.
>>
>>44215323
This is how I'm running my game, but with a bit more intrigue (conspiracies involving separatist space colonists and third-world warlords).
>>
>>44216110
Also the first episode of the series is a massive tank battle where mobile suits don't even show up until the end of the episode.

That's some good shit.
>>
>>44216152
Mekton Zeta is basically Gundam: The RPG.

Palladium's problems come from the swarms of RCC/OCCs (mainly a RIFTS problem) and the fact that Siembieda has no idea how to lay out a book.
>>
>>44216224
Yeah Rifts is a great idea...but the six months its takes to read through all the options is a bit much. I prefer pretty every other setting they have outside of Fantasy and Rifts. Smaller number of books and a reasonable assortment of options. I may have to look up Mekton...as I am now having some cravings for my Zeon.
>>
File: 1438904872790.jpg (617 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1438904872790.jpg
617 KB, 1280x1920
I've always wanted to run something in the vein of Gasaraki or Betterman. Have the technology be of supernatural or alien origin but have that knowledge withheld from the players until shit starts hitting the fan. The concept of being protected by something that could very well consume you mentally has always been an interesting concept to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAO5CG7QFgE

>>44215843
>G-Reco
>Bad

Shit taste baka desu senpai.
>>
>>44216285
Mekton II and Zeta are built off the same system as Cyberpunk 2020, Interlock (Mekton 1e uses its own weird thing, and I think it's more board-wargame-thing for combat).

The Armored Trooper Votoms and Bubblegum Crisis RPGs use Fuzion, which is Interlock x HERO.

I can throw all the files for all of those up if you want them.
>>
>>44216479
Go for it. Worst case scenario, it'll still probably help people looking at different systems.
>>
>>44216479
While i definitely would appreciate them I am supposed to be prepping for my game on sunday...but I am a bad gm and am putting it off. To my gamers who lurk here yes You're Right I am lazy and easily distracted!

Otherwise yeah i'd love to dig into them, toss them onto the pile of games I want to run but sadly only have so many hours in the week :(
>>
Lot's of Technobabble and kachunking noises. Yyyeeeaahh...kachunking noises...
>>
>>44216493
>>44216618
https://mega.nz/#F!N0pVFKrD!jK6lBw0Al8OW1whLxiSGTQ
>>
>>44214087

Have you seen Generation Kill?
>>
>>44217175
I have, actually, but it's been quite a while so I don't remember much about it off hand.
>>
Palladium's system is passable once you divorce it from the Rifts bloat, the robotech RPG actually stands pretty well on its own.

My two favorite systems for mecha action lately are BRP Mecha and D6 Space.

Just mecha as fighter ships in D6 Space giving them ground speeds and punch/kick weapons, and gameplay is so smooth it's just wonderful.

BRP Mecha is also great because it's fucking BRP, and the book is geared towards statting mecha based on their on-screen performance and tech specs.
>>
>>44214087
On foot using GURPS. Infiltration, stealing base access codes (IFF & security, plus neuro helmets), sabotage of base defenses (turrets, sensors, etc.) subversion of base personnel (security officers, gate guards, etc.)

Don't use the MechWarrior RPG though - that game is horrid.
>>
>>44217508
Has anyone played or tried out the Heavy Gear system? How does that one compare with everything else?
>>
>>44217590
It's pretty good. The only real "issue" with Heavy Gear (if you can call it that) is that it's very much "VOTOMS: The RPG" in the same way Jovian Chronicles (from the same company) is "Universal Century Gundam: The RPG".
>>
>>44217615
Jovian Chronicles has a surprisingly competent sci-fi setting. I'd honestly recommend checking it out just for that.
>>
>>44214605
Got any tips for the Generation Kill and Bilko feel? Trying to get base life to feel right in a game I run where things would be close to the same setup.
>>
>>44216110
Hey listen, I've been trying to like it, but it drags badly and the fights are ok, but they're too rare
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 1000x1000
>>44217590
Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles both run off of Silhouette, which is a fantastic system if you want gritty fairly-realistic-all-things-considered combat. I love it but it tends to break down if you want something that doesn't resemble modern armored vehicle combat with legged vehicles.

>>44217899
I love JC's setting and actually am using it for a Gundam game using D6. It actually amazes me how Hard Sci-Fi the setting is despite being centered on giant robots. It's got some wonky bits though, like the surface colonies on the Moon and Mars being giant domed cities. Luna and Mars have incredibly low gravity and people probably couldn't survive on them for long periods of time without major health issues, let alone across multiple generations.

What I did personally was change their colonies so people lived in giant towers consisting of big rotating rings, where the floor is at a slight angle and the rings rotate just fast enough that the inside of the rings simulate (about) 1G using a combination of centripetal force and the planets' own gravity.

I got the idea from here: http://www.scifiideas.com/science-2/a-solution-for-long-term-living-on-low-gravity-planets/
>>
>>44218435
I actually like how they're revealing more about the setting a little at a time instead of throwing it at you all at once in long and confusing exposition.

Plus most of the characters are actually likable, and the main protagonist doesn't fucking whine and cry all the time, so at least the non-combat stuff is actually entertaining still.
>>
>>44218613
There's also the old Green-Book JC, which is Mekton, and the second JC RPG, which doesn't use SC.

I can't actually find any Heavy Gear RPG supplements for SC, just the HG2E RPG.
>>
>>44218692
>main protagonist doesn't fucking whine and cry all the time
I'll admit I kinda marked out when he pulled the double execution. Dude didn't even blink. Kid's got ice in his veins.
>>
>>44214087
First, take advantage of the fact that a mech can be repaired and be prepared to absolutely trash the mech. Limbs torn off, sensors trashed, weapons exploded, go nuts. As long as the players have the means of replacing their losses you can use viceral damage to put them in a fix.

Second, while being damaged and disabled is one thing, being killed permanently is another. Always give the players an out. Ejection systems, damage control rolls, even abandoning their mech or playing dead should be valid tricks.

Third, don't be afraid to fudge the rules. So long as everybody is cool with it you can make things up as you go along.
>>
>>44218750
That scene alone put him right up on my list of favorite Gundam protagonists. I love that fucking autistic murder machine.
>>
>>44218993
Yeah, Mikazuki and muh ballistic weapons are making the show for me.
>>
>>44219204
It's strange, IBO is obviously lower tech than even early UC but it feels better than ever. Big chunks of metal slamming together, huge ballistic cannons with tangible recoil, armor that's actually worth a damn, all these things look silly when compared to swords made of plasma and shots of relativistic particles yet are far more satisfying.

It's actually not entirely original. Okada seems to be cribbing notes from Break Blade but I'm fine with that. So long as she keeps being creative with her action sequences and the cast stays fun and memorable.
>>
>>44219364
The soundtrack helps.
>dat spanish guitar, givin' me Ace Combat flashbacks
And I really hope the Mobile Workers make it into the next Musou game. They manage to be both adorable and cool as fuck.
>>
>>44215843
No, G-Reco proved that Tomino hates his fans and shouldn't have any say in Gundam anymore.
>>
>>44219364
Y'know, I've been thinking.
They probably wouldn't BE in financial trouble if Orga weren't wasting half the budget on gel to keep that ridiculous, gravity defying bang of his on point.
Dude makes Trowa Barton's hair look reasonable.
>>
>>44219616
I haven't seen IBO yet, but having resource problems is a time honored gundam tradition. The original series devoted entire episodes to logistical problems and the solving thereof, and a lot of the later ones at least make a nod towards the fact that replacement parts and ammo have to come from somewhere.
>>
File: Orga's hair.jpg (156 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Orga's hair.jpg
156 KB, 1280x720
>>44219646
LOOK AT THAT HAIR!
How much gel does the boy use to keep it like that?
>>
>>44219675
>gel
>implying he doesn't just soak it in the blood of his enemies
>>
>>44219675
That's pretty normal for anime.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 343x429) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 343x429
>>44219675
Maybe that's why they couldn't afford to repaint the replacement armor they put on that Graze they salvaged to match the original colors.

But then again I fucking love the way it looks anyway.
>>
>>44219798
Honestly, I love the look of the graze in general. I mean the stiletto feet are kinda goofy, but that Leoface makes me smile every time I see it.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 359x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 359x410
>>44219817
Fuck yeah, grunt suits!
>>
For a mech game, which is better?

Walking tanks, or Gundam-style super robot?
>>
>>44220527
Gundam isn't really super robot, anon. It sits somewhere in the middle.
If you want actual super robot, look at shit like Getter Robo, where the robots are powered by the POWER OF EVOLUTION.
>>
>>44220527
They're basically different genres. Walking tanks are kind of an extension of Military SF, a long and storied genre in literature, Animecha is its own sort of thing with its own genre conventions. I don't know you can really make a direct comparison.
>>
>>44220608
Not all anime mecha are the same, anon.

They're wildly, wildly different. Calling "anime mecha" a genre different from walking tanks is fucking retarded, especially when there are literally anime about walking tanks.
>>
>>44220699
Well not all mecha in anime would be anime mecha, to that definition, and not all anime mecha is in anime. Transformers is a good example of one that's entirely Western, and that one cartoon with the giant robot that was controlled by a muscle car. But anime's where the core of it is, and it tends to draw from anime where the rest draws from military SF. There's just not a particularly better term I can come up with for "Mecha more like Gundam".
>>
>>44220768
The japs use "real robot" and "super robot," so I don't see why you can't.
>>
>>44220848
Well "real robot" is something of a misnomer, but are those real terms? Because yeah they're pretty good for describing it.
>>
>>44220866
Yep. It's the same terms TVTropes uses as well.
>>
>>44220866
The guy who created Gundam coined them, because the first 1979 MSG series was the first anime ever to use giant humanoid robots as mass produced war machines instead of magical superheroes.

Nowadays a lot of people complain about how newer gundams can easily fall into the "super robot" category, but you've got to remember none of them existed yet when the terms were coined, and when people say "Gundam is Real Robot" they mean the original 1979 series.
>>
>>44214087

Read Front Mission: Dog Life & Dog Style. I've used it for inspiration; it's by Thunderbolt's author, too.
>>
>>44214087
Well, I'm currently in a game that's something of a cross between Macross and Mass Effect- basically, there's hundreds of thousands of different species out in the universe, and all of them stand at something like five stories tall. Humans are anomalies because Earth's a relatively 'high-density' planet; we're smaller, but we weigh a lot more and are much tougher than the aliens expect us to be. However, in order to be relevant in combat, we have to use the mechas that can transform into jet modes.
Humanity's brand-new to the galactic community, so they're very much a novelty. The quest is centered around escorting a colony ship- technically an alien vessel which was sold for more than the scrap the aliens were going to sell it for, but cost less than building a colony ship from the ground up- to a planet that's been slated for human use. Half the party's humans in mechs, half of them are various species of aliens.
We've not gotten too far in, just two or three sessions, but it's shaping up to be a fun ride.
>>
>>44219675
How the fuck does the hair come out so much from such a tiny spot?
>>
>>44214087
I wish I could get players for a game like this. I want to run a game for a group of pilots. They would likely be part of a military unit. The alternative is robot battles are a regulated sport and they play out being rising stars. All anyone wants to play is D&D3.PF
>>
>>44214087
Megas XLR.

On that note, what system would be best for a Megas XLR game?
>>
>>44214087

When you're not in it, you're working to clean and maintain the darned thing.
>>
"I used to have nightmares about the mechs."

"Not just about the damage caused by the two-legged, four-legged, size of a two-story house that lumbered through our streets, turning roads to rubble, decimating neighborhoods. Standard ammo for a light mech machine-gun can tear through a house's brick wall and out the other side, God help you if you're in the way."

"I had nightmares when they started educating us, around 14, on how to operate them. Most boys my age were psyched, ready to deal retribution to those who had come in and fucked our lives all to hell."

"But the cockpit? It's tiny, like a car only big enough for a driver, and it's hermetically sealed. Gas attack prevention. The only source of sight a pilot has are their eye-cams.
If all of them are destroyed, you're blind. And firing your mech's weapons blind is a surefire way to make the civilian deaths skyrocket."

"But it gets worse. Normally, the mech has a hatch near the top or unfolds the front to let a pilot exit, but damage gets done, servos get fried, and a pilot gets stuck. The lucky ones might survive to get cut out. Others... I've heard of pilots that had their air-circulation systems fail, and they suffocate. Or the cooling system fails when they get hit with thermite bombs- cooked alive. Some of those sick terrorists will use laser weapons to wield them inside, cut off the legs and arms, and just leave them."

"So, you were asking why every pilot is issued a handgun, when it won't do shit against even powered armor?"

"I'm thinking you know now, rookie. Make sure it's loaded and working."
>>
>>44223107
I love you. Please. Write more. This is fantastic.
>>
>>44222544
Hot blooded spirit and determination!
>>
>>44214087
Have them be an occupation force fighting against both La Resistance and the panic of a front line that is backing into them or breaking down entirely. They get a few shooty missions where they storm enclaves and rebel bases, and a few more when the enemy sends parties to retake the city.
>>
>>44223126
"The army doesn't discourage hologames simulating mech-combat, despite all the pressure from congress. Hell, they encourage it, so long as the developers keep it realistic. With one little exception."

"They want the devs to make sure powered armored and lighter infantry are annoying. Like, troll-level annoying. Suicide bomb rushes, flanking and attacking weaker areas, swarming players. It's the one thing people hate about the mech-games, how easy it is for a bunch of infantry enemies and a few powered armors to gang up on one mech and take it down in no time."

"Don't get me wrong- a bunch of infantry with no self-preservation instincts, like those ISIS fuckheads that strap c4 to themselves, can fuck a mech up if they hug it and detonate. But here's the facts. The armor and systems on our mechs are designed to stand up to heavy MECH-firepower. If a suicide bomber detonates too far away, like, say, 10 or so feet, the damage he does is pithy. And a power armor against a mech MIGHT do some damage if he takes the pilot completely unaware. Which he's not, elec-radar will warn you of any signature strong enough to be powered armor and up coming at you, and some really mean motherfuckers like myself deal with enemy PAs by stepping on them."

"But they keep pressuring the developers to make them even more annoying. And then they add a solution, that if you've been swarmed before, you'll make sure you're carrying next time you log in to the game: light machine guns and flamethrowers. The former is good for smaller mechs, the latter can be used to overheat in a pinch, but the primary use that you are expected to save your ammo for is to get rid of those overpowered infantry and PAs before they kill you and make you start the whole level over. That's right. No checkpoints. Maximum frustration, especially if you get ambushed by infantry."

"Care to know why?"

(cont)
>>
>>44223347
"So that when you, a mech-game player, get drafted... and you WILL, and you go through boot camp, get pissed on by a mean motherfucker of a drill sarge, get drilled in cleaning the dirtiest of toilets of mechs, finally survive to pilot one..."

"When you're stomping through what was once a neighborhood, and you're warned you've got infantry or powered armors coming up on you, you'll remember those game overs. Then you'll remember this is for real."

"And I guarantee, with no hesitation, you will mow and burn those fuckers down and all you will feel is relief."

"My high score is 213, kids. 213 stupid sons of bitches who charged me when I was carrying a combat flamer. If any of you beat that record and live, I'll buy your unit a steak dinner."

"Well done only."
>>
>>44223374
>"Well done only."
Gross. How is that a reward at all?
>>
>>44223387
sounds like an army sarge.

Of course he's going to be an asshole.
>>
>>44223107
>>44223347
>>44223374
I love these types of writefags. It does such a good job of making you feel like there's a real world behind the stories this jaded vet is sharing.

10/10 Anon, any other writefagging is more than welcome.
>>
>>44220768
The funny thing is, Gundam was inspired very directly by the granddaddy of all military SF. The term 'Mobile Suit' should be a dead ringer for something obvious.
>>
>>44221073
No, Super Robot Wars coined them, to differentiate shit like Gundam, VOTOMS, and Dougram from shit like Mazinger Z, Voltes V, and Getter Robo.
And even then, they're of questionable use since a lot of shows really fall into a weird middle ground or push the bounds of one side or the other. Shit like the ARX-7 Arbalest, which is solidly a Real, until it activates the Lambda Driver at which point it can convert human will into physical force.
Or what about Escaflowne? It's literally magic, powered by the heart of a dragon cut from its chest and shoved into the mech. But it behaves mostly like a Real.
>>
>>44222734
Freeform. It's the only thing capable of handling all of the bullshit weapons MEGAS pulls out of wherever every episode.
>>
>>44223804
I would argue Toon or Cartoon Action Hour in that regard.
>>
>>44223832
TOON might do it, yes.
>>
>>44214087
MechWarrior seems good
>>
>>44223871
I have wanted to play toon for so long
>>
Has anyone on /tg/ ever Dm'ed a game of Mekton zeta? I planned for oe years ago, but i was kind of intimidated by the sheer amount of work required to get things of the ground. Having to build every suit (at least, every type, and every custom version) and ship from the ground up, and balancing them properly, seems so tiresome.
>>
>>44224074
>Having to build every suit (at least, every type, and every custom version) and ship from the ground up,
The Net Mekton Handbook and Mecha Manuals have some already built.
>>
>>44224074
If you've got a spreadsheet or other program to help with the math it's not so bad statting things up, and can actually be kind of fun.

MZ's biggest problem is the actual gameplay rules are absolute shit, but on the plus side it's not terribly hard to adapt to other systems or even just fix.
>>
>>44218364

Higher command is constantly, CONSTANTLY trying to screw with the soldiers missions. They do this in two ways, passively and directly.

Passive buttfuckery would be things like replacement parts only arriving on time 1/2 of the time, incredibly restrictive rules of engagement, or giving soldiers only the basest idea of what kind of encounters they'll be having outside the wire.

Direct buttfuckery is usually at the company level or higher, although occasionally a lower Staff NCO will come into your working or living quarters and demand that you "Square away yer gaddam area, good to go?" even when there are much more pressing matters at hand. Higher command should never, never be on the players' side.

Try throwing two of the PCs on a pointless watch while the others are in the middle of an intense firefight. They show back up the the base really fucked up only to find their buddies have been chilling, bitching about being bored.
>>
>>44224908
Let's be fair here, your hemlet has a chinstrap for a reason.
>>
>>44226458

You ever worn one for eight hours? Shit's annoying. Dude was still an idiot for not having it strapped in the back of a HMMVV but I've rode in 3, 4 hour convoys with no kevlar before.
>>
>>44229820
Oh I know it sucks. But when you're up in the turret? You suck it up and strap the fucker, because it doesn't do shit if it's not strapped.
>>
>>44223911
Pretty sure the question was more about, you know, roleplay. Not the game rules used.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.