[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After many adventures of considerable renown, your travels take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15
File: 66-qCSX0.jpg (213 KB, 1860x1280) Image search: [Google]
66-qCSX0.jpg
213 KB, 1860x1280
After many adventures of considerable renown, your travels take you (and your party)into a small town where you take a break. There, you meet several young children who have heard tales of your exploits and are completely enamored with you and your legend. Probably, you told them a couple extra stories, maybe even did a couple autographs. A couple of them even show off their practice weapons they created and are running through the streets play-fighting. Eventually, a couple of them admit they've been so inspired by you that they want to become adventurers just like you. If nothing else, they were hoping you could provide a bit of advice to them to help them in the right direction.

tl;dr - What piece(s) of advice would your character give to young impressionable minds looking to get into the adventuring game?
>>
File: 21851153.jpg (319 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
21851153.jpg
319 KB, 600x849
Stay in school, eat your vegetables; you need both to grow a great big wizard brain.
>>
The same I say to everybody
"Show coins or GTFO!"
>>
>>44210132
I don't follow.
>>
Beware the magical realm fate tries to take you into.

Know when to walk away.
>>
Accept that you can't save everyone, but don't let it stop you from trying.
>>
>>44210031
>tl;dr - What piece(s) of advice would your character give to young impressionable minds looking to get into the adventuring game?
"Seriously don't. It's safest that way."
>>
>>44210031
Don't poke the owlbear.
>>
Don't trust anyone who wears bandages all over their body. Trust me: I'm secretly a skeleton.
>>
>>44210031
There's a skeleton inside you trying to get out. Try to do everything to keep him inside.
>>
A big suit of armor, a shield, and your choice of weapon will take you far.
>>
What if your character is a kid?
>>
Walk softly, carry a big stick and above all NEVER lick the Lizard-people.
>>
Always carry a ten-foot pole.
>>
Figure out your priorities. Not to lessen my advice... but unless you just want to get rich and have no morals, you shouldn't be asking the guy who threatened to genocide your city for ransom. If that's the case... well shit, welcome to the crew, you wouldn't be the weirdest member we have. (Poor kid, "Captain" Heresy's gonna fire them out of a rail-gun at the next enemy he sees...)
>>
>>44210432
Bring rope.
>>
>>44210420
"Beware of women twice your height in ragged clothing; they will want to do indecent things to you."
>>
"Do good by others, and they shall do good by you. Oftentimes, the difference between life and death is a favor owed."
>>
Never eat raspberries.
>>
>>44210031
"Never fight for the sake of fighting. Always have a reason--always fight for something or someone."

Either that or "Always remember, as you grow stronger and stronger: When you live amongst the stars, you lose sight of what's happening on the ground."
>>
>>44210031
>Not everyone has to wade into battle sword swinging, sometimes you'll be a better hero if you stand back and do your best to keep your stronger, stupider companions alive
>Using spells to blast things, while fun, is generally a less useful application of your magic than healing people or altering the battlefield, your friends, or your enemies to aid your side in combat
>Be wary of groups of female adventures that get really grabby while they call you cute, particularly if they don't have a spell caster among them, best case you'll get shanghaied, worst case you'll also get shanghaied but the games they play won't be ...."fun"

>>44210420
>>44210621
The funny thing is both these posts would honestly apply to my current character
>>
Never stop training. Even when you think you're ready, there's going to me more to learn out there in this world.

Strive to do good, even in the face of abhorrent evils from man and beast alike. Know when to offer a gentle hand, and when to swing the sword down upon their head.

And finally, lead by example. Inspire those around you to be better than they were the other day, for life is a precious gift, and one that we should not so needlessly squander away by not striving to do our very best.
>>
>>44210031
I own that artbook.
>>
Always get at least half your coin upfront. Never accept less than what you're owed. Remember that not every strange man selling mystery flasks of foul smelling liquid is a real alchemist. And above all, never, ever, put your dick in crazy.
>>
File: Tarp.jpg (66 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Tarp.jpg
66 KB, 250x250
>>44210031
>you meet several young children

Wrong! I may "see children," but the GM can't make me interact with them - and if he tried, I'd definitely smell a rat. In fact, I smell one right now!

Oh hello, OP.
>>
>>44216352
>muh agency
>>
File: 1265437033082.jpg (155 KB, 864x1043) Image search: [Google]
1265437033082.jpg
155 KB, 864x1043
>>44210031
Remember to always bring an appropriate soul receptacle when conducting human sacrifices. Souls have great value on the planar market and have many useful necromantic applications
>>
Learn how to swim
>>
>>44216352
>Letting the GM make you see things
I never said my eyes were open, you can't make me look at any old thing you want me to!
>>
>>44210031

I only came to this thread because I was like "That looks like mystic ark art." And so it is! Game so needs an english translation.
>>
Working with people you trust and care about will get you a lot farther than all the magic swords in the world.
>>
>>44210031
"Think long and hard about this one, kids. To travel is hard, dangerous, and rewarding; but to fight for a living against paragons and monsters will almost certainly kill you. In absence of incredible strength and an incredible purpose... stay in the smithy, kids."

"And if you're dumb enough to follow my path... it involves a lot of running away."
>>
Winners don't use drugs.

...but they also don't adventure. Bring a few potions along to save your skin, even if it breaks the bank you'll be glad you did if you break your back.
>>
File: 15468943.jpg (200 KB, 400x438) Image search: [Google]
15468943.jpg
200 KB, 400x438
>>44210031
Pray to generic good deity daily, observe his commandments and always have a spare wand of cure light wounds.
Don't split your party and always do your best to listen to reason: don't resort to evil just because it's simpler, because that never ends well.
Stay away from women that are taller than 1.80 and have many muscles.
>>
"you all have such tiny hands, you all would be perfect as spider den cleaners in the underdark"
>>
File: HEH HEH HEH bueno.jpg (341 KB, 1212x756) Image search: [Google]
HEH HEH HEH bueno.jpg
341 KB, 1212x756
>>44210031
"enamored" you say?
>>
>>44210031
Tell them to:
practice and study a lot
learn a craft so they can finance their pursuit since everything needs money
eat well and eggsercise in a good routine that i teach them
write down what they may forget and keep notes

Their parrents will be thankfull for not breaking their dreams and steering them in a good direction by telling them to study and learn a craft.
>>
>>44224395
>Stay away from women that are taller than 1.80 and have many muscles.
Why would you give them such bad advice anon? You were doing so well otherwise
>>
>>44210031
>Anything trying to seduce you will probably be a trap. Usually of the kind that wants to eat your soul.

>You can never go wrong with learning to form an astral-suit.

>Even if you can see in the dark, bring one torch. Even if you're a master swordsman, bring a flask of every alchemical. Some things are just immune to "sword", and a bit of acid or fire can make short work of otherwise horrific traps

>Someone who betrays you whenever it's convenient is an enemy, not a "bad friend". Don't worry, just disintegrate.

>Even if your honor somehow begs you face your foes in frontal melee, carry a grenade and some kind of ranged backup. You never know when they'll be the only chance you or your comrades have. There's no honor in being helplessly slaughtered with no way out.

>The Druids want to kill everyone you've ever loved.

>If the previous advice has not yet made it obvious: Learn a range of skills you're good or great at, rather than only supreme mastery of a single thing. The ultimate flame-wielding sorcerer looks like a damned fool against Efreets and Red Dragons.

>Your plan will never work. The enemy's will always go just as they wished. Always be prepared for this, or the one time this isn't an exception will be your last.

>There's always someone bigger, something smarter, and always, ALWAYS someone smarter than you are. Bad news when they're all one entity.
>>
File: 1420399904431.jpg (519 KB, 1200x1027) Image search: [Google]
1420399904431.jpg
519 KB, 1200x1027
>>44225272
"Keep away from my wife" perhaps?
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 382x597) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 382x597
if you wanna be a hero but aint strong enough , go to the bandits hideout , block the entrances and set the whole shit on fire

just let the screaming charred remains to the elements , and you will be fine as long as you throw stones at the bigger ones until the wont move anymore

you will be a fine hero , just as me!

that or go be a little wizard in drag
>>
>>44210031

"Don't do it. You don't have what it takes. You'll never be good enough, or strong enough, or brave enough to be a hero."
>>
File: 1418173167433.jpg (489 KB, 800x877) Image search: [Google]
1418173167433.jpg
489 KB, 800x877
>>44225272
Because they are lewd and will try to dom the shotas and that is bad.
>>
Don't feed stray catgirls, they're just going to follow you around begging for more food.
>>
File: gomander.jpg (31 KB, 390x386) Image search: [Google]
gomander.jpg
31 KB, 390x386
>>44225815
And they can get it... they just need to do a little ... something... in return.
>>
>>44225452
More understandable, though makes me wonder if you're saying it for the sake of your wife's virtue or his safety
>>
>>44225809
>Because they are lewd and will try to dom the shotas
And?

>and that is bad.
Don't lie to the boy
>>
>>44226122
Dunno about the original anon but in my case it would be both.

If she's anything like the real one, she can handle herself easy, but she still expects her honor to be defended first.
>>
File: crushedpelvises.jpg (120 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
crushedpelvises.jpg
120 KB, 1024x768
>>44226129
it is both good and bad.
>>
>>44210031
"Remember that bravery with blind eyes may lead you to an early grave. Practice, learn, gather knowledge and hone your abilities. Observe, adapt and overcome. That's how you will survive out there. You'll find that sometimes, running away is the best course of action. You will face dangers unimaginable, and monsters that you'd only see in your worst nightmares, but the thrill of adventure, and the weight of a trail full of stories, is something you can't trade for anything.

But remember, kids, that we would not be here if it wasn't for the common folk, people like the ones around you, people like your parents, people such as yourself, that not only have helped us in our journey with their usual jobs, patching us up, selling us gear, keeping us fed and well rested after a long journey, singing our stories, that we're here today. Even you kids with your sheer admiration, have helped us through the harshest situations, even if not directly. Whether you choose the life of adventure or stay at home selling bread for travellers, you'll always be an important part in the journey."
>>
>>44226202
No, I mean you'll have to protect him from her predation

>>44226225
It's his fault for being adorable, tis a common fate in these lands
>>
>>44226225
Musclegirl will not crush the partner on accident. Fatty might, but it's common sense to stay away from fatties.
But being a little rough is fine, more reason for aftercare cuddles.
>>
Start with some giant rats.
>>
>>44226383
>Musclegirl will not crush the partner on accident.
Not unless she gets really into it and doesn't stop until qt shotadventurer's pelvis has been ground to dust

The "I'm sorry for nearly killing you/having to break out the scroll of raise dead" cuddles are nice though
>>
File: Greg.jpg (103 KB, 807x1000) Image search: [Google]
Greg.jpg
103 KB, 807x1000
Go home and hug your parents.

Guns and wizards a shit.
>>
>>44226383
>Musclegirl will not crush the partner on accident.
There's a difference between doing it on accident, and doing it because you just didn't care that you were being too forceful
>>
"I don't know kid. I just started traveling with a sword one day, met some cool people and somehow ended up as a professional heroic vagabond. Could have easily ended up as a bandit or a mercenary."
>>
>>44210031
>"Don't do it. Do you think I'd be out there risking my life every day if I had anything worth living for?"
>>
>>44210031
If the people you're traveling with at any point seriously consider selling you to a dragon, succubus, vampire, or hell even an angel, or really any other being, you probably should find a new route to travel with
>>
>>44210031
The best way to learn is by doing. So, if any of you are orphans or just hated by your parents then you should come with us when we leave.
>>
Wait till you're a little older, write to me, and I'll pay for you to startup, so you don't go out into the world swinging with a crappy shortsword and leather armor like I did. Don't worry about paying me back.

Actually, isn't this what guilds are for? I should probably make a guild or company for this purpose, to help out budding adventurers. No one was there for me, but I can be there for them.
>>
>>44210031
You never have enough rope, or light sources for that matter
>>
Go to school, learn magic, don't do anything you'll regret like taking part in a genocide.
>>
Torches a SHIT.
Invest in a solid fucking lantern. Torchs are garbage for exploring dungeons. If you want to be an adventurer, this is rule, like, well it's probably not rule 0 but it could be like rule .5 or something
>>
>>44239246
You can't chuck a solid lantern away like it's nothing though. Like, down a shaft to see how deep it is, down a corridor to see if it's trapped, leave them as a trail for allies to follow, etc...
>>
>>44239343
Ok, you know what? That's fair. Torches aren't shit. They're slightly better than GARBAGE, and, like garbage, they are only good for throwing away strategically.

You want to crawl in some fuckin' dungeons? You bring yourself a proper lantern. Using torches as your primary means of illumination is for amateurs, and amateurs don't last long in dungeons worth exploring.
>>
Bring a cleric. Always bring a fucking cleric.
>>
>>44210031
Remember, even if you're from a small village like this one--you might be the one who take down the giant with a single shot and a single spell.
>>
Three pieces of gold will buy you three hundred pieces of chalk.
You'll find ways to use them.
>>
Since you are such a big fan of mine you must know about the tales of Toba and me, right? Oh, you don't do ya? Well let me tell you the tale and perhaps you can glean a lesson from it. Me and Toba set out adventuring together. We were best of friends, it's true, swear it upon my sword. We did everything together. We grew up together, played together, became men together and when he became an adventurer I did too. We even slew our first bounty together, an unusually large rat that had been pilfering the town's grain stores. Never did figure out what made that one so big but I digress. The important thing is that we were inseparable, thick as thieves, shared everything together. That was until we heard of a easy score, a bandit hide out where some craven highwaymen had holed up after robbing a princess carriage. We thought it would be an easy score, get a princess indebted to us, get our names out there. So we scoured those hills till we found the place they must have been hiding in. It was a cave, looked like it was lived in, some stag bones were piled outside, firewood all that. So we waited till it was dark to rush in and surprise the scoundrels, make em surrender. As soon as the sun had descended behind the hills we went in, real sneaky like. It seemed fine at first, but the deeper we went into the cave, the more off things became but I couldn't quite place it. Until I realized what was wrong, I could hear breathing all around us. There must have been dozens of em in the darkness, whatever they were. I shouted to Toba, and we ran as fast as we could. I didn't dare look back till I was a good hundred strides away. When I did I only caught a glimpse by the pale l moonlight of whatever they were, dragging my best friends lifeless body back inside that cave.

So now you know why they don't tell stories about us, or any of the dead forgotten adventurers boy. If you ever go out there, you better have already made your peace, or don't go adventuring at all. It's no game
>>
>>44210031
>What piece(s) of advice would your character give

>gear
Get your weapon types covered. Important ones are magic, silver, bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, ranged, and non-rusting. Nothing's more frustrating than coming to battle with the wrong weapon. And carry a knife even if you're no good with it; there are a lot of ways it can come in handy.
Loot everything that isn't nailed down. Take a crowbar so you can pry out the nails too. Remember that you can rip locks out of doors and sell those.
Take a mount, ideally a cart or a wagon too. That will let you carry both loot and fallen party members.
Keep a journal with lots of paper, write down everything. Names, places, fights, everything. Record any weird symbols you see. You might lose your memories someday, and that journal could save your life.
Keep chalk. When a structure is hard to navigate, mark where you've been.
Ten foot pole, 50 feet of rope, grappling hook

>best practices
Write a will, show some copies to your fellows. I know it's morbid, but when you're dead the last thing you want is them arguing over who gets your armor.
Keep your wits about you, and don't trust anyone. God gave you a sense motive skill, so use it.
Take a good hard look at things before you open them. It might be trapped, or worse.
Don't eat, drink, wear, or wield anything you find in a dungeon until it's been properly identified. When you do try it on, make sure at least one buddy is watching you and a cleric is nearby.
If any of you heroes grow up to be Paladins, then use your divine sense. You never know who's secretly a demon or a vampire. They like to disguise as children and women.
Check the ceiling. Monsters don't always hang out there, but it's pretty bad when they do.
Don't agree to a fetch-quest where the questgiver won't tell you what the object looks like. Those don't end well.
Same goes for rescue missions. If your questgiver wants someone but can't get you a good description, just drop it.
>>
File: 165468914.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
165468914.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1200
>>44226129
>tfw you're never gonna be a qt young cleric
>you're never going to go on adventures with lots of friends for the good of the people
>you're never going to be gently swept up by the big assertive barbarian, to be taken to bed in a cozy, warm inn
>you will never fade to black as she undresses you and takes your first time, making you her cute husband, caretaker and lover.

Life is suffering
>>
>>44210031
Don't sweat the small stuff, kids. The GM won't remember it anyway.
>>
>>44210031
Ok my boy, now imagine you've got a bag of holding completely filled with body transmogrification potions. Now say you are dual wielding a wand of charm, and a wand of fertility, it might be worth investing in mage hand to tri-wield a wand of forgetfulness. At the very least make sure there is someone of a matching species nearby to take the blame. Trust me, you'll understand when you're older.

Oh yeah, hey girly, take this stone of sending and keep it in your sock drawer for a few years. Use it to call me on your 16th birthday. Ok... maybe 15th.
>>
Consume the flesh of the fallen.
>>
>>44210031
always carry plenty of food and water.
>>
>>44242321
also what this anon said >>44235899
always have rope
>>
File: Kefka.png (566 KB, 505x766) Image search: [Google]
Kefka.png
566 KB, 505x766
>>44210031
Want to know why 'oppose' rhymes with 'dispose'?

If they get in your way, KILL THEM!
>>
>>44210031
a bag of holding should be one of the first things you buy after the money starts coming in.
>>
always know the nearest portal to sigil you never know when you will need to go to another plane in a hurry. on that note keep up to date on major portals in sigil.

make sure the wizard always has a planeshift prepared if he is powerful enough.
>>
Some people will say not to bother paying taxs as you travel so much but eventually a tax office will catch up with you. Always pay your taxs.

if taxs are unreasonable start a revolution the people will always band together to fight high taxs.
>>
>>44210031
Stay in Wizard school, join the Clergy or go smoke some weed with the Druids.

Being a Fighter fucking sucks.
I would know.
>>
"Be nice to the healer. Do their vision quest or whatever. Support them, unless they're a freak that worships Loviatar or something."

"Confirm your kills. Have someone with an axe chop off heads."

"As bizarre as it may sound, the lawful good gods don't appreciate torturing evil clerics and blackguards to death on their altars. Well, Heironeous thought what I did with the pedophile and some acid was funny, but seriously, just don't do it."

"As cute as they may be, don't pick up and nuzzle dragon wyrmlings. Best case scenario, face full of acid, fire, claws, teeth. Worst case scenario? Pissed off mommy dragon."
>>
if you go into wizardry get a familiar that can talk, i recommend a raven.

learn from all schools of magic you can have a focus but to completely abandon a school is to seek death.
>>
Never draw from the deck of many things its inciting but its just to risky.

on that note no you dont have the willpower to read from the book of vile darkness.
>>
Always count the cost of whatever it is you're trying to achieve, especially when it's a cost being given to the dark gods.
Oh and don't drive away everyone who gave a damn about you in the name of said achieving to the point where they're going to make you explode, seriously it was in the stories I told you and everything!
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.