[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any good generic/universal d20 system out there? dumping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: d20.jpg (41 KB, 500x477) Image search: [Google]
d20.jpg
41 KB, 500x477
Is there any good generic/universal d20 system out there?

dumping some pdfs meanwhile
>>
>>44210593
I'm a pretty big Jojo fan, can I ask if you think this one runs well? I've never used the fate system
>>
Not gonna lie to you, OP, d20 doesn't usually make for a good universal system. Best you can do is refluff Mutants & Masterminds or Fantasy Craft for whatever campaign you want.
>>
File: chairman-mau.png (46 KB, 416x330) Image search: [Google]
chairman-mau.png
46 KB, 416x330
>>44209513
d20 itself (that is, the d20 OGL SRD) is generic and universal, although whether or not it's good is neither here nor there. Most d20 systems are the opposite of generic and universal, because they are intended to elaborate on that generic base. Some of them, like Pathfinder, tried to be "D&D but better". Others tried to emulate a specific IP, usually some anime or something. Asking for a generic d20 system is like asking for a generic GURPS splatbook -- the entire point of the system is to be generic, with specifics spread out across the different splatbooks. The only GURPS book that is actually generic is the core.

The only d20 system I can think of that is both relatively generic and quite polished (or so I've heard) is FantasyCraft. Unlike 3.PF, which both have tons of interlocking parts that can destabilize the entire system if you remove just one of them, FantasyCraft is highly modular, and you are supposed to pick and choose which rules are right for you as a group, again inviting comparisons GURPS. I'm not sure if SpyCraft is also d20, but I have also heard that it is both generic and good.
>>
Mutants and Masterminds is probably your best bet there, or True 20.
>>
As far as a light as fuck ruleset that's insanely malleable, look up 1974 Style.
>>
Rule of Cool's Legend is a super generic d20 system, which is really easy to fluff things as whatever despite it also being pretty rules-heavy. Only downside is that the dev team is basically dead and we're probably never getting another update ever.

Also making stats for enemies is a bitch, because you have to make them all yourself, and they're basically exactly the same as PCs in terms of building them.
>>
>>44211015
try reading the fate system so you can understand it
>>
>>44209513
>Is there any good ... d20 system out there?

No.
>>
>>44209513
No. Because d20 is shit.
>>
>>44217889
>>44215636
why?
>>
>>44218289
Y'see anon, the anons who posted these comments dislike d20. And anything that a person dislikes immediately becomes the worst thing since sliced cancer, as we know.
>>
>>44219498
Actually, I was just bored shitposting.

d20 is pretty great actually.You'll notice that d20 5e no longer has rules for critical failures because after so many years of grandfathering that mechanic in, they realized that a 5% chance of guaranteed failure is pretty shitty. As some Anons will point out, a d20 system makes it incredibly easy to figure out the general odds of success or failure based on modifiers. More importantly because there's only 20 numbers, it's really easy to adapt to just about anything. It's just a matter of breaking down those chances of success/failure and applying them correctly. d20 is so simple you really don't even need a rules system for it. Just grab a d20, and when a player tries something that might fail just have them toss it.

What are their chances of success? Good? (low DC) average? (DC of 10 or 12) Not likely? (DC 15+) Long shot? (DC 20+) and so on. A half-competent DM can make their own d20 system in an hour.
>>
>>44212025
tried this tonight in a zombie campaign good shiet
>>44219674
yeah i added some mods to the d20 system tonight
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.