[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best MTG draft format?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: MTG Booster Packs.jpg (85 KB, 638x426) Image search: [Google]
MTG Booster Packs.jpg
85 KB, 638x426
I'm thinking about getting a box of cards for my playgroup to draft on christmas. Objectively what is the best draft set? Alternatively what is the best drafting experience under $250?
>>
>>44208065
There is no one perfect draft set,
but FYI, Innistrad, Zendikar, and Modern Masters are all fairly well received.
>>
Ok so perhaps a better question might be what was your favorite draft set and why?

I recently got back into Magic from casually playing from onslaught until mirrodin (never drafted just played kitchen table with friends) so I've missed a lot.
>>
>>44208065
So long as you guys aren't cutthroat competitive, conspiracy is really a great casual draft set. It's explicitly designed for multiplayer and politicking, which might be for you or might not.
>>
Depends. If you want a solid 1v1 format, 3Khans, 3Innistrad, any recent core set, or Modern Masters are all decent options.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Conspiracy, which is by far my favorite draft format ever. It's best played as multiplayer, but there are just so many cool things you can do.
>>
>>44208065
Both Rize of the Eldrazi and triple Innistrad were good formats that gave you the option to go deep into archetypes as rewarded you for knowing what you were doing and punished you hard if you didn't.

Time Spiral block is also really good. Granted, with Future Sight in the mix also things have a tendency to get really dumb because as it turns out, Sprout Swarm is a really good card.

Original Ravnica was also really fun, especially when you played with the entire block as you not only had to read signals but also plan ahead for the future sets. If you drafted Selesnya in the first pack, for example, and then Orzhov in the second, there was no guild for you in the third pack. If you stayed out of guild specific cards in the first pack, however, and then picked up Izzet and Gruul cards in the second pack you were likely the only Simic drafter at the table during the third pack. And so on, and so on.
>>
Speaking of drafts and since BFZ is almost over: what would you guys conclude as the most versatile draft deck to go for?
I'd argue that B/U eldrazi control or B/W ally drain are probably the strongest ones available.
>>
>>44208559
RW Allies aren't bad
>>
the objectively correct answer is cube.
>>
To add my voice to the discussion, there are three sets that I think are both excellent limited formats and also happen to have some valuable cards in them (if you care about that sort of thing.)

Khans of Tarkir - Triple Khans very quickly became my favourite format ever. It is linear in the sense you often just pick a Clan and then just draft that, but there are also the BW Warriors and the five colour deck to attempt should you wish. There's a lot of interaction in this format, mainly down to some powerful unmorph triggers. Also there are very few bombs in the format that are 'unbeatable' (Sorin and Wingmate Roc are probably the closest to 'I win' cards, and those are both Mythics)

Innistrad - This format has the largest variety of decks to draft, every colour combination has a deck you can build, and some of them even have more than one. The only real blemish to this format is the existence of the Invisible Stalker + Butcher's Cleaver combo, which is actually unbeatable and surprisingly easy to assemble.

Rise of the Eldrazi - This format is all about BIG THINGS. As such the format is pretty slow, but also very fun as there are a lot of different types of decks to draft. There's a lot of decision to be made in this format as well, normally down to whether you want to level up one of your levellers or play something instead. Also has a 'defenders' sub theme, which can lead to some fun Wall decks.
>>
>>44208065
Kamigawa is a stupid fun set to draft, InnInnDark is another good one, and origional Zen block is great too.
>>
>>44208065
Build a Cube
>>
>>44213796
>>44209832
Yeah I have a cube built, but I'm looking at stepping back in time to draft a set that my group and I weren't able to back in the day when we didn't know about magic or know each other as a christmas gift to them and myself
>>
Conspiracy
>>
>>44208065
Homelands :^) remember apocalypse chime is banned
>>
Drafted fallen empires earlier in the year, fun as hell playing mono color weenies and you get many multiples of most cards so same color decks are viable
>>
>>44219271

This.

Sarpadian Empires.
>>
I have fond memories of lorwyn block draft. also it's not terrible if you're unfamiliar, you can pick a tribe and wing it
>>
>>44216061
>I'm looking at stepping back in time to draft a set that my group and I weren't able to back in the day
Time Spiral Block, it's certainly not the "best" drafting environment; but it is quite good.

And it probably captures the atmosphere you're looking for the best.
Both for being the "reference-older-cards" block, and for having a very distinct cardpool.
>>
>>44208065
I liked Triple Zendikar. That was a lot of fun. Worldwake just made things slower and kinda dumb. I actually made a mostly-Zendikar cube out of commons and uncommons, with a few random rares I like from other sets. It was pretty rad.
>>
Triple Khans of Tarkir

Its the only draft I have ever done where every single player has a completely different color identity and strategy. It makes things really fun.

Also, the mana fixing is really, really, really fucking good. Dual colored lands, the trilands, the artifacts, and the fetches.
>>
>>44208187
Real men draft P3K :^)

Innistrad and Rise of the Eldrazi are considered the best by the community at large. I really liked Modern Masters 2. Khans of Tarkir and Origins were pretty good and would be more affordable than the above.

>>44208559
Converge has been the most consistent for me, BW life has always been dogshit. The best deck is definitely one of the devoid variants, but I'm not sure if it's U/R or U/B.

>>44221267
Based on my experience with the Modern Masters sets I'm seconding Lorwynn as up there.
>>
>>44208065
Kamigawa and your other favorite two sets
>>
Cube.

Conspiracy cube.

Modern masters.

Innistrad.

In that order.
>>
You could always just take some random packs from what's around and draft that. For this kind of draft fate reforged, dragons, theros block, origins, conspiracy, modern masters2 and like one pack of any RTR set probably dragons maze works really well. You get a lot of interesting effects and synergies. One color to tri color drafting is all possible. It does however lack some of the in set synergies so you usually go for more general themes then lets say drafting allies.
>>
>>44216283
Underrated post
>>
>>44208065
My favorite draft experience that my friends and I put together once a year is 3 packs each of the Alara Block foil packs.
>>
>>44208065
One the ones you can get for under 100 bucks, Triple Khans is the way to go.
>>
No love for RGD? Ravnica was also a hoot to draft.
>>
>>44208065
Triple Innistrad
Triple Rise of Eldrazi
>>
>>44208099
>There is no one perfect draft set

invasion
ravnica
>>
>>44208065
Best draft is an oxymoron.

Failing that, Odyssey
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.