[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: D&D_Transparent.png (57 KB, 1500x750) Image search: [Google]
D&D_Transparent.png
57 KB, 1500x750
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015
>>
Oops, forgot to put the /5eg/ title in. Sorry gents.
>>
>no subject
>no /5eg/ tag
>there's a thread already
well done
>>
anyway, where do you guys get inspiration for the worldbuilding when you DM?
I'm about to start a short campaign, because our usual DM will be out of town for a month or so. The world is supposed to be a mashup of gaming and book related lore which I like, cause our usual DMs world is similarly build around a mix of mtg, wow and might & magic lore
>>
>>44207214
>there's a thread already
It hit the bump limit and it's at page 10. That's the customary time to make a new thread.

Your other complaints stand, however.
>>
>>44206653

This looks like it will kill them.
It's very mobile and can kill one party memeber per turn.
It's weak AC does nothing when the party, if they all critted, couldn't even take it to half it's hit points.

Seriously.
If the Paladin is hasted, crits on both attacks, the wizard lobs a fireball (or lightning bolt) AND the fighter crits on both attacks, they do an average of 102 damage, assuming they have +4 to STR/DEX/INT.

But the creature can kill one of them in the next round, although you should keep in mind, it's probably going to win initiative.
If they don't all crit this round, the creature kills another one of them.

And this is assuming the creature waits around for them to hit it.
With it's speed of 50, it can kill someone, then move out of range.
>>
Hello tg, I'm running a game for group of friends and it's our first rpg experience. So I have a few questions:
First, for the end of group's adventure around starting city I'd like to have a massive battle with heroes commanding the defense of city and stalling until magic ritual will turn back the assault, what's the best way to portray massive battle in a way which will emphasize player leading role and also make it easier on the math and rolling?
Second, I need some advice on how to foreshadow bigger arcs in campaign without it being completely obvious, so piecing 2 and 2 together wouldn't feel too easy?
>>
File: 1445896174490.jpg (42 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
1445896174490.jpg
42 KB, 500x366
Would a campaign setting with no classes using full-strength caster progression be viable? Interesting?
>>
>>44207310
>I play D&D to NOT be a caster

Fucking stupid.
>>
What's the next 5e wotc published book coming up?
>>
>>44193836
>Spell points could work if spells took varying amounts of time. Higher level spells taking longer to cast would have the higher risk-reward of surviving more possible interruptions for one big hit versus several safer to execute, faster and weaker hits over time.
>>44193989
>Just a thought, how about you can cast it as an action, or take however many X rounds to cast a spell, where X = Spell Level? Casting this way doesn't expend a spell slot?
Pretty sure OD&D ran on time-based casting. Also look into the L5R magic system.
>>
>>44207310
sounds like it'll just make full casters lackluster in comparison to martials.
do you intend for casters to gain more spell slots of a lower level or something else to make it up for them?
If you just cut full caster spell slot progression, something like an EK would become arguably better than a wizard, if you don't also cut 1/2- and 1/3-caster progression.
If you do that, there's no point in playing a paladin at all
>>
>>44207273

The DMG has advice on running mob battles. It's not terrible, but does make the mob out to be made of mooks.

As for how to handle that scenario, I describe very quickly what they immediately notice with one minor detail they seem to be fixated on. Stuff like "Everyone is shouting around you, the mud tries to suck you down into the earth, an arrow hits your armor, bouncing off as a man tries to run you through. His tunic is yellow, under the grime. There's something on it, red, maybe. The blade misses your face by a hairs breath {resolve combat exchange}. It was a flower, but now it's blood. A mace swings from the left".

Then you jump to the next PC and describe a different situation, based on where you'd think they'd be. Maybe the mage's duel is an elaborate, nearly dance-like exchange that feels vastly different from what the fighter just went through, that kind of thing.

Foreshadowing only works if things in your plot makes sense.
As in: plots need funds, messages require messengers, people will blab about their jobs, shit like that.
These things leave behind evidence. If nobody in the party cares, you should only mention it in passing, from allies of the PCs making offhanded comments, or asking about specific events.
You could also make it symbolic foreshadowing, but that has more to do with themes and motifs than anything logically linked. If your players get in on the feel, though, it can work very well.
>>
>>44207320

No need to be hostile, guy. It's just a idle thought that came to mind. I'm curious how it would play out.There would still be casters, just the ones at 1/2 or 1/3 progression. Paladins and rangers would become the primary divine casters, for example. Fighters, rogues, and monks would have some arcane capabilities. You'd have greatly reduced magic in the campaign.

Also I just noticed that fully half of the classes in the PHB are full casters. That's pretty crazy.
>>
Is it impossible to optimize a viable build around Magic Stone?

The spell basically seems useless, since it barely interacts with anything, and basically everyone will already have sufficient Str or Dex from their armor selection to use a backup ranged weapon anyway.
>>
>>44207347

Oh, sorry didn't see your reply. I meant for full casters to simply be gone. No bards, druids, clerics, warlocks, sorcerers, or wizards. Only barbarians, fighters, monks, paladins, rangers, and rogues, of which could choose their partial-caster paths, or not, freely.

Alternatively, I think valor bards, moon druids, and wars clerics would be fairly easy to tweak down into half-casters, given they have decent options outside raw casting.
>>
>>44207273
Honestly, if it's your first rpg experience with the group, I'd stay away from massive set pieces and complicated plots.

Keep it simple, have fun with a bit of dungeon crawling, do a self contained adventure but leave a hook at the end, so if your group wants to jump right ahead into a plot you have something to work with.
>>
>>44207357
>Everyone is shouting around you, the mud tries to suck you down into the earth, an arrow hits your armor, bouncing off as a man tries to run you through. His tunic is yellow, under the grime. There's something on it, red, maybe. The blade misses your face by a hairs breath {resolve combat exchange}. It was a flower, but now it's blood. A mace swings from the left

I want descriptions like this in my games.
>>
I'll be playing a wizard on 3.5e in a weeks, coming from 5e. Any tips on creating a good spellcaster? Feats ect.? my stats are 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8.
>>
>>44206324
> setting-specific archetypes
I mean, SCAG has the battlerager. Pretty much the entire Other Settings appendix says that doesn't really exist in other settings.

I think as long as the class can be used in settings other than your own, it's fi-
> near useless when not on the ocean
... So your setting is nautical, then? So nautical you'll rarely go a session without some sweet boaty action?

I think that might be better suited for a PrC. Ranger archetype could be good, maybe, but current ranger suffers enough even when you don't take all his toys away for being on land.
>>
>>44207513
>3.5
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>44207357
Thanks, I was also interested if sending npc who is more powerful than group with them on a mission so they feel safe and then robbing them of that npc is a good idea. And how do you guys come up with interesting NPC's? So far I've been mindlessly stealing them from Tarantino movies, but you can only have so many until people start to notice.
>>
>>44207564

Nothing is original, everything has been done.
Music sampling in order to create new songs is an accepted form of art, anon.
Cool stuff will come to you, just make sure to make the NPCs your own, and not try to "live to the spirit of the original" or whatever.

As for a more powerful NPC? Nope.
If there is a more powerful person, why are the PCs there?
This can only work if the NPC is stationary, or does things that don't involve the PCs and which they don't find compelling or particularly interesting. Said NPC also shouldn't tell them stories about all the cool stuff that NPC has done. Obviously, if they like to brag, that's who they are, but the party will be annoyed by that.
Ideally, a powerful NPC is a patron of the party, who offers them sanctuary and jobs, but doesn't interfere with them directly. If they feel safe in a place with an NPC who can offer them contacts, shelter and offers them access to a lot of markets, they'll get attached to it. Maybe someone who offers them more permanent positions in a stronghold or something. You know, get them to invest in said place and NPC.
But that also means you can't kill the NPC. You can have them be kidnapped (and ransomed, or rescued by the PCs, if they want to) or forced to turn the party away because of political reasons. It would be cooler (in my opinion) if the NPC was their patron and friend, but was then kidnapped. If they rescue him, they get rewarded and their friendship deepens. If they pay the ransom, they impoverish the NPC, but his attitude towards them doesn't change, he's just less useful. If, however, they do nothing to help him, they get to call the shots until he's released. Maybe the sabotage the ransoming process, King John and Richard the Lionheart style.
>>
File: Senpai Snake.png (59 KB, 245x204) Image search: [Google]
Senpai Snake.png
59 KB, 245x204
>>44207564
What I do is make anyone my group runs into that becomes an actual somebody (happened to mooks more then once) a Protagonist.

As an example, that town guard they were going to ambush with his buddies, who complained that going into a dark alley is how Town Guards get murdered? Weelp his name is Jay. He complains a lot, so the other guards think he is annoying and a whiner, which he readily admits to, because he is honest. His honesty leads to is whining, and he is honest because he deep down believes in doing the right thing even if it sucks, which is why he joined the town guard. He can heal the party with basic healing spells cuz his dad was the local cleric (raised him to Do the Right Thing) and after being used as a hostage to get away from the Town Guard, he is still willing to heal the party because the monsters they are fighting in the sewers threaten the whole town, and that is more important then his butthurt, or his safety. Provided he survived, he will start gaining Paladin levels, but will still be incredibly whiny but more and more will go out of his way to call folks out on their bullshit, valuing Truth, Community, and Necessity above all other things.
Then I accept they are probably going to die, and in some cases go out of my way to make it happen as long as it is interesting. I advise starting with what you need from them mechanically as a plot device, adding a flavorful ribbon trait, and working back the whys from there.
>>
>>44207564
>I was also interested if sending npc who is more powerful than group with them on a mission so they feel safe
Don't do this.
Don't ever do this.
>>
>>44207724
>Don't ever do this
See, I can't agree with this kind of thinking. There is not a single thing that cannot be done well, given the proper setup. Admittedly, a more powerful NPC is tricky to handle well, but when it does... I tried it once, had a group of knights go with PCs, who were the private guards of a scholar go into a dungeon together. The knights were way stronger, and fanned out, clearing the dungeon and leaving one knight on "babysitting" duty, which he complained about. Then I had them follow the egghead around, intro'd some fluff about the dungeon, and juuust when I was sure I had got them finally a bit fed up I triggered the trap. Describing the knight reaching out to them in horror as they fell, and he failed, really set the tone for the ensuing dungeon crawl.When he came in the nick of time to rescue them later, all beat up and after all his comrades left, he became one of their favorite npcs. It really depends on how you handle it.
>>
>>44207724
Okay, maybe I misworded it a little, he's not really more powerful than the whole group, but he certainly is stronger than any of them individually. I was planning for him to travel somewhat the same path as PC's and yearn their trust with being a good guy, so later when he comes close to his objective PC's would have to decide where their loyalties lie. Also along the journey PC's are supposed to outgrow him in terms of power.
>>44207688
>>44207637
I really like your ideas, thanks fellow DMs!
>>
>>44207875
Warning you now, if your group is anything like my group, any NPC that tags along for more then two-three sessions is almost %100 certain to die horribly. I strongly advise keeping him and minimum safe distance from PC shenanigans, as DM fiat to save NPCs can only be used small, finite number of times before the PCs call BS and crucify him on principal. Be careful yo
>>
So I come seeking help. I made a warlock for my friends game a few weeks ago, he's fun, but I don't seem to be doing much damage, I don't know if I'm just playing him wrong or what. How well does Warlock stack with a few levels in paladin? My stats are 16, 14, 12, 8, 10, 16 and I'm a half elf blade pact, thinking of picking up vengeance. If it doesn't work out, my DM is cool enough to let me reroll him, but I don't want to give him up so easily
>>
>>44207994
It's more like they will bump into each other from time to time. But ok, how do I show them he's a good guy while keeping him safe? I figured if they saw him doing all the nice things that would be the most effective way.
>>
>>44208002
Level, feats, spells? Bladelock isn't exactly a powerhouse, if you're relying on just melee without key features it can easily be underwhelming. Not unworkable though.
>>
>>44207239

>It looks like it will kill them

Looking like and actually doing it is two different things.

For example, We recently had a situation where my party said 'fuck it' and went for a standard jail break against some drow captures. The party was composed of six level one characters with bones whittled into shanks doing 1d4 damage (the DM allowed the shanks to have the finesse trait). The three drow we fought were all CR 5 with 74 HP a piece, 16 AC and were using shortswords that did 1d6 slashing +3d6 poison+4 damage.

We accomplished this fighter by getting the drop on the first one by shoving him off a cliff and grappling the other two's arms with a person on each so they couldn't fight back, knocking them prone, and using other exploits to slowly stab them to death over the course of an hour of gameplay. It was pretty grueling because one bad roll and they got to attack, since all our armor was gone, they had a solid chance of murdering us with a glancing blow.

They never hit us though. The dice gods were punishing the DM for fucking up. Turns out he should have been using a much weaker drow variant for this part of the campaign we were on, but since he fucked up and we still managed to win? We got the experience for the fight. 900 XP a piece. So we really got 899 because you can't gain multiple levels from one encounter, but you can be one XP away from it.
>>
>>44207310

Not really. Magic was nerfed enough that you can't really be a flying god or anything with it any more. It makes being a destruction based mage a lot more appealing, but that has you burning through spell slots fast.
>>
>>44208063

Just hit level 4.

No feats, though I get to choose one if I wish, went with great old one pact, I got fiendish vigor and agonizing blast.
>>
>>44207484

You can run an anti-magic campaign if you want to, but really 5th edition doesn't have balance issues with mage superiority like some other editions of D&D, so it is kind of silly to do so.
>>
>>44208002
Which is your patron?

>>44208063
Bladelock outstrips its other melee competitor (the Shillelagh Tomelock) in terms of cantrip damage at higher levels, though. The downside is that you lose out on the familiar and rituals you could have gained from your pact.

The fact that Eldritch Blast deals comparable damage to a moderately-optimized Greenflame or Booming Blade (disregarding secondary damage) is less relevant since he's also going Paladin.

I'd say 3 levels in Paladin to get Devotion (because Sacred Weapon is better mechanically than Vow of Enmity under most circumstances), but Vengeance works as well. For Ancients, you would of course want to stay until level 7.

Then you want at least 12 levels in Warlock for Lifedrinker (and level 5 spell slots don't hurt either). The remaining levels can be spent as you wish.

A more minmaxed alternative is to take 5 in Paladin for Extra Attack, only dip 2 in Warlock because Invocations are cool (or just 1 if you don't want Invocations but want Undying Light), 6 in Fire Dragon Sorcerer for +Cha to Greenflame Blade and Quickens, and the remaining as you wish. This starts to border on munchkin levels of minmaxing, though, and it basically only buffs your at-will GFB damage. If you go up against something with Fire Immunity, you're fucked.
>>
>>44208048
One way to do it would be they hear about it secondhand, from another, more temporary character. They could see it from a distance, to where they can't really render assistance (and maybe have their own problems). Or catch him in the act, unifying for a brief fight before splitting up again. The trick for what you are planning is weaving him in and out of the tale properly and keeping him alive, while keeping him low powered enough that it is believable that the PCs are very, very required.
>>
>>44208186

Look.
The only way you won that, was by the GM having the most statistically unlikely luck, or more realistically, realizing he'd have to TPK you and deciding the drow just couldn't do shit.

I mean, it's great that you feel this was something you guys pulled off, but you do realize that, but the rules, that wouldn't have worked?

The CR 5 drow have a +10 to stealth, and +4 to perception. They can Levitate, as well as cast darkness. They have AC 18 and +7 to attack with Multiattack, of course.

What you fought, was, realistically, CR 1/4 drow with lots of HP.
And, you know, the drow not making any sound when you fought them, not alerting each other, or anything of that nature.
>>
File: young knight.jpg (168 KB, 464x761) Image search: [Google]
young knight.jpg
168 KB, 464x761
>>44208220
Question, how do you justify a Paladin/Warlock hybrid fluff-wise? I was thinking of doing a Paladin that lost faith in his gods and swore his loyalties to demons, but wouldn't he lose the powers that he had before? If paladins get their powers from the gods they worship, wouldn't worshipping demons cause the gods to take those powers away?
The only possibility I could think of would be that whatever demon he sided with, gave him powers that were functionally identical to what he had, as kind of a "twisted mockery" kind of thing.
>>
>>44208220
Great old one, but it hasn't come into play yet, and dm is willing to let me switch it. Cool, thanks for the Info on paladins, I was mainly going for smite but sacred weapon sounds cool too.
>>
>>44208280

He could go oathbreaker paladin.
>>
>>44208280

Paladins don't get their powers from one god, or from worship. That'd be clerics.
Paladins can *dedicate* themselves, but it's not part of the deal.
The deal is: you're a good guy and the Good gods like you, so you get powers. Then you swear an oath and abide by it.
>>
>>44208280
My Warlock is generally a good guy, sure some weird thing from beyond the realms is giving him power but he is deep down a nice guy just trying to good by himself and his friends.
>>
>>44208277
I just gave my players a fight that was embarrassingly easy, due to my not fully understanding the potential of grapple.
I had the party of four level four players fight a mezzoloth, which seemed like a very challenging battle. I was trying to think of ways that I would have to bail them out. Then as soon as the battle starts, the warforged barbarian with ridiculously high strength runs up and grapples the thing. The first time he'd ever tried grappling.
The rest of the fight consisted of the mezzoloth failing strength checks and the rest of the party tooling on him.
Now the barbarian has declared his desire to grapple everything in the campaign, and I'm legitimately frightened.
>>
>>44208300
So as a warlock, I would have to keep to the same code of conduct as I did as a paladin?
I feel like that kind of takes the Infernal path out of possibility.
>>
>>44208277
>>44208186

If this really did legitimately happen and wasn't the DM trying to avoid a TPK as was suggested, you can't honestly believe that is a good reason to throw attempted balance out the window. I personally believe that it's fine to have encounters show up that are too strong for the party and require an incredible plan or just for the characters to turn tail and run, but when the characters are simply meant to fight something in a (relatively) fair fight, you can't throw Demogorgon at a level 4 party and say "Well, technically, he COULD always roll 1s, and they would eventually kill him. So, I mean, it is fair since there is a possibility."

A little common sense is necessary now and then.
>>
>>44208311
That reminds me of the thread I saw about a warforged warlock who thinks he's a cleric, he just can't tell the difference between the gods and the Great Old Ones.
>>
>>44208280
In 5e, paladins don't necessarily serve gods, as evidenced by the existences of the Oath of the Ancients and Oath of the Crown. While it's up to you to interpret how their powers come about, I like to think that they are derived from the sheet strength of their beliefs in their chosen ideals.

Similarly, Warlocks are a result of pacts with otherworldly beings, but these aren't always a result of deliberate negotiations with demons. Fey are unfathomable beings - one could as easily gain a fragment of a fey's power by wandering through a fairy circle and unwittingly stumbling through its domain in the Feywild as summoning it with forbidden texts and bargaining with it. Fey do what they do.

Great Old Ones are even more inscrutable. No one can understand how they think, therefore it's pretty unlikely that you could have forged a deliberate contract with it. It's far more likely that an echo of a presence beyond the stars drifted into your dreams and left an imprint on your soul, or that you read a book that wasn't meant to be read, opening your mind for just an instant to the horrors that lie behind and between spaces.

tl;dr Paladins aren't necessarily worshipers of gods, and Warlocks aren't necessarily demon-contracting edgelords.
>>
>>44207344
The originals kept track of time in both "segments" and rounds, but all but a very scant few spells that would be useful in combat took longer than a round to cast. Typically a Wizard would take 2-5 segments of time to cast most spells, and the segments basically translated to the iniative order - any melee attackers acting in the later segments had an opportunity to attack him.

However, the original also considered a Round as a full minute and each Segment was six seconds, so it very much meant that the magic user was standing in place for up to a minute to cast a big spell. Meanwhile one turn for everyone is simplified into everyone acting in the same six seconds in all the later editions.

>>44207484
In one of my games, the party was composed of pure Martials (no magic archetypes either) from some backwater town of Humans, Halflings, Half-Orcs and Dwarves where nobody knew magic, traveling to a big city of Elves, high on magic. They could multiclass into other Martial classes but no magic classes, explanation being that they were so unlearned on magic that it would take a long time, years, to teach them more than Cantrips (and no such timeskips were planned).

They were specifically hired by some Clerics of Oghma to investigate some shady stuff because they had no inherit magical ability and therefore could act unseen by the powerful omniscient magical eye owned by the governing body that could track every citizen by detecting their magical energy.

After some early accomplishments, each person in the party was taught how to cast a few Cantrips and to perform some 1st and 2nd level spells only as Rituals, the low power not enough that their magical signature would be picked up. Magic items were almost as common as normal equipment in the city, so they got decked out pretty quickly to match their greater magically-adept adversaries.
>>
>>44208330

I dream one day of people actually reading the Conditions.

Allow me:

Grappled
• A grappled creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can't benefit from any bonus to its speed.
• The condition ends if the grappler is incapacitated(see the condition).
• The condition also ends if an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect, such as when a creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell.

Restrained
• A restrained creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
• Attack rolls against the creatu re have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage.
• Th e creatu re has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

>>44208338
You're not an ex-paladin if you multiclass.
So long as you have those levels and haven't broken your oath, you're a Paladin.
Also: the book mentions stuff like using a devils power against it.
At *most* this means you can't take the Oath of Devotion, as using a monster's power against it might constitute as cheating.
>>
>>44208330
Put them up against something made of slime, or a creature that secretes magical rusting powder/acid/fire.

Just remember - there's nothing WRONG with the party finding fun ways to kill things effectively, and you shouldn't try to prevent them from doing so. If they're able to grapple everything to death, it just means you don't have enough variety. Don't be afraid to throw curveballs, but give them a few easy ones every so often.
>>
>>44208285
GOO isn't best for direct conflict - I mean, its first level feature is telepathy, for fuck's sake. That said, the character is in no way unplayable. Patrons give you buffs, but do not dictate your playstyle. Ideally, of course, you'd have wanted to go Fiend for survivability or Undying Light for GFB damage.

As for combat, you generally want to open with Sacred Weapon or Oath of Enmity (whichever you chose) and Hex your enemy of choice. On your subsequent turns, beat its face in with your greatsword, smiting whenever you can afford to. Run the numbers yourself for your specific build to find whether you should be using Extra Attack or Greenflame Blade for this.

Statswise, prioritize Cha if you have Sacred Weapon and can reliably take short rests between encounters to recharge it or otherwise find yourself using your spells often, otherwise prioritize Str for the bonus to hit.
>>
>>44208330

Besides >>44208374

I just looked it up. The creature can magically teleport.
I'm afraid you just fucked up the encounter, by not knowing the rules.

If your PCs take the Grappler Feat, *then* they can try to restrain the creature. Otherwise they have to knock it out and tie it up or put manacles on it.
Also: Motherfucking Cloudkill son. Jesus. Target on self. Let the party come to it and they're fucked. Cast Darkness around the perimeter, attack them in there.
>>
>>44208374
So, I'm sorry, what's the issue here? The thing couldn't move while the everybody was surrounding it and beating the shit out of it.
>>
>>44208374
>>44208454
>>44208512
Okay, I see. I thought that since he was grappled, he couldn't use any spells. My bad.
>>
>>44208512

Teleport away.
Cast Spells.
Attack back, at no disadvantage.
The person grappling has to use one of their hands to maintain the grapple, so no two handed weapons (since, you know, barbarian).
Also: Resistance to everything not magical, immunity from poison and acid.
>>
>>44208220

Ok so if I took thrusting blade which gives me 2 attacks with my pact weapon as 1 attack, and I have extra attack with paladin can that give me another attack on top of that?
>>
>>44208877

Thirsting, sorry on tablet. I view it as possibly getting 4 attacks for the price of 2, I don't see that I can't I just want to be sure I could.
>>
>>44208280
Just be a Fey warlock/Ancients paladin. Or you could just not be any kind of warlock. Playing a warlock is cancer story-wise. You're going to be an obnoxious special snowflake edgelord at best and a walking plot hole at worst.
>>
>>44208906

When you make the Attack Action, Thristing Blade gives you one extra attack, and Extra Attack, from the Paladin, also gives you one extra attack. This does, in fact, mean that you can have 3 attacks at level 8.
>>
>>44208280
I shouldn't be too hard. 5e has a lot of thematic overlap in the subclasses options. For just the paladin/warlock combo, you could go ancients/fey, oathbreaker/fiend or vengeance/fiend etc.

As for serving a diety, >>44208365 pretty has it right. Paladins don't need a diety to worship anymore than a fighter does, regardless of the requirements of older editions.
>>
>>44208991
Come on,its not that bad, my gf plays a fey warlock who's been unintentionally sucked into the feywild in childhood, long story short she's got a quest from fey queen to find her missing husband and pushed out into material world many years after. So she's being that awkward girl who is constantly trying to communicate with people through telepacy because they do so in feywild and freaks people out with it. It's been fun so far.
>>
To pit against PCs, would a good, challenging battle either be an equal amount of enemies of the same level as them, or slightly more enemies of a level just below them?

I want a nasty, drag-out fight.
>>
>>44208877
>>44208906
>>44209073

The multiclassing rules go out of their way to point out that thirsting blade does not give you another extra attack if you already have one from another class.

Any ability that gives you even more extra attacks has to specifically say it does so, like the fighter attacks at high level.
>>
How do I convince my wife to not take assassin, and take thief instead. She doesn't want to be labelled as the "thief".
>>
>>44209294

You talk to her about OOC and IC.
Burglar is a class specialization, it doesn't actually have to be what the character does.
But Assassin is a pretty good choice for combat oriented characters. Could multiclass into Barbarian or something.
>>
File: ice_monolith_by_njoo.jpg (119 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ice_monolith_by_njoo.jpg
119 KB, 900x900
Hail, /5eg/! I finally got to run my Christmas special last night and it went over well. The biggest problem I had was a fight against a reskinned earth elemental and set of respawning awakened shrubs. It ended up being a mashed fest of rolling dice and repeated turns. So, I would like to ask, are there any go to scenarios you guys use tgat make combat interesting? Is there a compendium of memorable TTRPG encounters somewhere of the web?
>>
>>44209363
I apologize for my typos. I'm using a phone.
>>
>>44209363
Tucker's Kobolds.pdf
http://slyflourish.com/guide_to_narrative_combat.html
http://angrydm.com/2014/09/the-angry-guide-to-akicking-combats-part-1-picking-your-enemies/
>>
>>44208991
I mean, sure, if your warlock player is ass.

Tell me where the same doesn't apply to a shitty character of any class, though?

Also:
> walking plothole
What?
>>
>>44208906
Look under the multiclassing pages...under extra attack,thirsting blade and extra attacks do not stack
>>
Any tips on how to better describe and fluff out traveling and combat? I'm still not that good at coming up with things on the spot or only the same things come to my mind.
>>
>>44207875
Now I'm thinking of a campaign framed around a journey, with the PC's, a mid-level NPC, leading the expedition (which includes assorted low level NPCs)

Use him as a patron, giving the PCs issues to troubleshoot. When the campaign gets settled, put them on a joint operation, desperate them, and kill the NPC (offscreen). Now, they're the chief.
>>
>>44209294
Let her play what she wants. Maybe suggest swashbucker. The campaign is not likely to last long enough for the thief's features to get good anyway. Thieves are for the breed of optimizer who plans out 20 levels' worth of progression without asking himself whether he'll ever find a campaign that lasts that long. We've been playing for a year and a half and the PCs are only level 13.
>>
>>44209457
A warlock is a walking plothole if he multiclasses into a completely incompatible class, like Devotion paladin or cleric of a deity who would not put up with that shit, or if the party constantly has to pretend the warlock isn't there, or if the warlock's pact does not include any obligations that the DM bothers to enforce, amounting to just "enjoy the free magical laser beans."
>>
>>44209479
Prepare a table of travel encounters and weird things to see on the way. If someone fails a Survival check, have a plan. For example, throw an extra encounter at them and say their trip is delayed by X days because you went off course. Seldom or never do you actually let them get well and truly lost. And yes, this means that being a ranger is kind of pointless, but maybe your players don't know that.
>>
I'm new to DnD 5e, and I'm going to embark on GM'ing the Out of the Abyss module with my players in a few weeks. Two of my players are consumate power-gamers. I've played many games with them in the past, and they just complete munchkins. Since I have experience with dealing with them as a GM, I am confident that I can thwart them if need be, but since I am totally new to DnD 5e, and am catching up, what character builds should I watch out for? What are the popular powergame builds in DnD 5e?
>>
File: warlock.jpg (949 KB, 1396x1428) Image search: [Google]
warlock.jpg
949 KB, 1396x1428
>>44209772

You could be banging a succubus and planting weeds in churchyards or actively fighting a Great Old One who isn't aware of you, but grants power to whoever murders babies in the stone circle every five years.

An Archfey could have given you the powers because it's curious what you'll do with them. Dishonored style.
>>
>yfw your group calls you minmaxer for being a single class
What? did I travel to the bizarroverse or something without noticing it?
>>
>>44209772
That's a DM problem, not a player problem.

Sounds like you're frustrated with the lack of immersion in your game. Find a new group and stop winging.
>>
>>44209772
Assuming it's the warlock the one who did the pact, could have been one of his ancestors who sold the soul of his first born, or his grand grand children's soul.

Also, is not the first time someone with demonic powers works for the good guys, and not only that, he's also blessed by the good gods.

Also 2, Paladins don't get their powers from gods anymore, so I don't really see the problem.
>>
>>44209930

Single Class Druid (Circle of the Moon) is very strong, broken strong early on and then just very good later.

Wizard (Abjurer)/Warlock can use the Invocation to power the Arcane Ward.

Rangers are weak.

There is a reason this is the Edition of the Bard and Half Elf is the most powerful race.
Variant Human is about as strong as Half Elf.

Bard/Paladin/Warlock/Sorcerer is a crazy build I've heard about, but haven't seen yet.

Rogue/Bard/Cleric(Knowledge) is pretty cray.
And if I recall, there's some combo of Sorcerer/Wizard/Warlock that has lots of spell slinging potential.
>>
>>44208280
Sup
>>
>>44210092
I'm pretty sure I posted a pic, lets try again
>>
>>44208280
>5e Paladin
>Praying to gods
You put yourself in that problem
>"If paladins get their powers from the gods they worship"
>In 5e
No they don't, reread the class's description
>>
>>44210082
Also, devils in particular like to see good become corrupted. Devotion/Vengeance + fiendlock could be justified without much trouble.
>>
File: PHB_82.png (234 KB, 328x268) Image search: [Google]
PHB_82.png
234 KB, 328x268
>>44208280
>paladins get their powers from the gods they worship
Read the manual before posting.
>>
>>44210271
That still says that some of their power comes from a god. It merely states that their sense of justice is equally as much a source.
>>
So guys, for an Orog race, I've tried to keep it simple:

>+2 Str
>+1 Con
>Aggressiveness - As a bonus action, can move up to its speed toward a hostile creature it can see
>Orog Armour Training - Is proficient in Armour one weight-class above their class proficiency (Light for Wizards, Sorc's, Medium for Warlocks, etc.)

Seem reasonable enough?
>>
>>44210453
Still, it should be pretty clear that a god can't just shut down a Paladin's power for the lulz.
>>
>>44210453
>>44210508

Whether sworn before a god's altar and the witness of a priest, in a sacred glade before nature spirits and fey beings, or in a moment of desperation and grief with the dead as the only witness, a paladin's oath is a powerful bond. It is a source of power that turns a devout warrior into a blessed champion.

The oath is what gives them power.
Gods need not apply.
>>
Any strong or cool things you could do as a bladesinger?
>>
>>44210551
Be better than a monk
>>
>>44210470

Why are your orcs weaker than half-orcs?
>>
>>44210551
Cast haste and mirror image on yourself at Lv 6. You practically become untouchable as you make 4 attacks per round and get a move speed of 80 feet per round.
>>
>>44210727
>4 attacks per round
>>
>>44210090
Thanks for the informative reply, Anon.

How do Fighters and Barbarians measure up in this edition, particularly single class? I could tell Rangers and Monks got a nerf from quick inspection, but with the game being still quite new to me, I'm not sure what to make of Fighters and Barbarians yet. Barbs look very useful early on, but aren't sure how the scale. Thoguhts?
>>
>>44210568

I figured Aggressivess was a pretty dank-ass ability though. What, you reckon I should steal that 1HP rule too?
>>
>>44210727
>haste and mirror image on yourself at Lv 6
If you time your buff-rounds perfectly, you get 8 rounds of god-mode. Otherwise, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to use two rounds in combat for self-buffing.

>>44210777
>4 attacks per round.
>1 Default
>1 Extra Attack
>1 Haste Attack
>1 Bonus Action Attack

It adds up to 4
>>
>>44210826
>1 bonus action attack
TWF? how do you cast shit then?
>>
>>44210551
>>44210727
>>44210777
Yeah, you'd only get three attacks per round. And it's a concentration spell, which gets in the way of your delusions of fighting in the front line. Just do the normal thing and cast Haste on the fighter, then stay back and don't get hit.

The thing people don't get about bladesingers is that they're still full wizards but very half-assed fighters, so their ranged spells will always be superior to walking up to an enemy and hitting with a sword like a pleb. Bladesong is best used to avoid ranged attacks while you otherwise behave exactly like a normal wizard.
>>
>>44210863

Wow you must be the most fun to play with.
>>
File: toy.jpg (27 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
toy.jpg
27 KB, 450x450
What would a fantasy toy solider look like?
>>
>>44210788

Monks aren't that bad, actually.
Fighters are good. Solid, at least. If you don't like to just hit things as a Champion (although you're the best at hitting things) you can be a battle master and get some maneuvers going. You also get the ability to take more feats than anyone else, and I believe only Fighters get 3 attacks (and then more).

Barbarians are good too, reasonably fun to play and have the neat benefit of avoiding armor while still keeping your AC as high as it's ever going to be.

>>44210806

I honestly can't think of anything. The Aggressive thing is a start, but not enough.
I'd argue you should also give them Darkvision 120 ft, and Savage Attacks, but not Relentless Endurance (For absolutely no real fluff reason than because it seems like too much).
>>
>>44210863
Well, you get +Int to Concentration saves, so that's something. Grab warcaster or something.
>>
Any interesting ideas for a dungeon located among the roots and inside of a massive tree?
>>
>>44210888
Because he understands the limitations of his character, and doesn't believe that class automatically loses all the weaknesses built-in while gaining the strengths of another class? I'd let him join my group.
>>
>>44210942
You're still subjecting yourself to the chance of losing the spell when you could have just cast it on somebody else.

The same goes with Polymorph spells - too often have I seen a wizard polymorph himself into a T.rex, only to roll a nat 1 on one of his concentration saves against the ensuing flurry of attacks. Much better to turn a party member into a T.rex, or better yet, a friendly NPC who would otherwise be useless.
>>
>>44209993
>anon, you are a powergamer unless you build your character to be bad at combat
>>
>>44210992
>+5 to roll
>advantage
>In the worse case scenary you roll 7+, which means you only fail against 14+ damage
>On average you roll 15+, which means you only fail against 30+ damage
>Not using Shield, misty step or similar spells to reduce the already slim chances of being hit because, remember you have more AC than a fighter with shield and defense style at that point
Dude, I'm playing a 7th level bladesinger eladrin since 1st level and I only lose a spell due concentration once...and because I fell unconscious, not because I fucked up the concentration roll.
>>
>>44210984

Of course you would. He's you.
>>
>>44210931
Depends on the era of the setting. I can imagine it looking like a rectangular block with a face and armor etched into it, or like one of them nutcracker-looking things over there, and everything in between.

In my setting I'd lean more towards the nutcrackers, though they'd probably be solid blocks with no faces, but still well-carved in the shape of a person.
>>
>>44210935

Those seem pretty solid, thanks.
>>
>>44211217
Here's a better summary.
20 damage or less = DC 10 = 96% chance to pass
30 damage = DC 15 = 80% chance to pass
40 damage = DC 20 = 51% chance to pass

At level six (the level under consideration here), you're almost guaranteed to maintain concentration unless you take enough damage to one-shot you.
>>
File: cleric toy.png (69 KB, 683x725) Image search: [Google]
cleric toy.png
69 KB, 683x725
>>44210931
For something universal mimicking the design of those guys, a simplified cleric (deity symbol of choice on the front), perhaps.

If localized, there would likely be wildly varying soldier-toys that reflect the appearance of the uniform of their local military force, using whatever cultural aesthetics and level of skill their artificers have.
>>
>>44208186
>you can't gain multiple levels from one encounter, but you can be one XP away from it.

Who says
>>
>>44211217
You automatically fail saves on a natural 1, you know. Or maybe you don't know, and your DM also doesn't know so he's never called you out on it.

And why the fuck are you blowing all those spells and bladesongs on the slim chance that you'll hit something with a sword for piddlingly low damage when you could have done a wide range of much better things with your full caster progression? Even casting Shocking Grasp is probably a better idea because it actually uses the correct ability.
>>
File: tE1agIJ(1).png (112 KB, 232x262) Image search: [Google]
tE1agIJ(1).png
112 KB, 232x262
>>44211704
>You automatically fail saves on a natural 1
Not in 5e, cuckasaurus rex.
>>
My party and I are near the culmination of HotDQ. We have defeated rezmir already. Azbara Jos and Rath Modar are going to be next most likely.

After that Glazhael, problem there is that I'm pretty sure the DM is going to make us fight the Vampire too.

It's there anything we can do so to avoid a TPK? Party is 4 lvl 7s, Thief Rogue, Evocation Wizard, Moon Circle Druid and Vengeance Paladin (me).
>>
>>44211776
You'll be fine. That whole campaign is a cake walk. As someone who's apparently read the book in advance so you can metagame, you should know that already.
>>
>>44210853
Have a staff in one hand and a shortsword in the other. Cast haste, drop the staff and draw a second shortsword as you move into combat. Not optimal but possible.
>>
>>44211674
Seconded. I'm pretty sure that's not in the rules. It'd be a waste of space to even type it out.
>>
>>44211976
Or maybe this isn't his first time playing in the campaign. There is no law against playing the same campaign twice.
>>
>>44211776
we just finished that, my fighter died because he Dr Strangeloved a flying machine into a lake.

We actually ganked two of the big bads, the one who asks you to help her rise in power after you escape the pepe castle got blasted off the back of a wyvern about a kilometer up in the air, the bard just couldn't resist.
>>
God fiend patron is so shit in terms of abilities.

Archyfey > GOO > fiend
>>
>>44207441
You can throw pretty far. 60ft. is double to normal range of a sling
>>
>>44212046
There should be. Not only is it probably really boring, but the potential for metagaming is just too strong.
>>
>>44211976
Our DM is very liberal with the information he gives us. We learned about all those people during our diplomacy encounter with Blogothkus.

I know it's a bit metagamey to ask on here, but I'm just afraid of our characters dying. The DM said he isn't going to hold back.
>>
>>44212105
I like fiend. GOO is better than fiend in terms of utility but fiend has a good spell selection, plus you get to hurl people through hell at late levels. I don't like archfey desu. Overall though warlock is more of a flavor class, so play what you like best.
>>
>>44212277
The fear got real for you. That's good. That's the fear your character should be feeling. This is why we roleplay.
>>
>>44212253
Only if the player is really shitty. I was playing in two separate OotA games and things were going very smoothly. The only issue has been work dragging me in for overtime. I've missed three session in a row for my latter group.
>>
>>44209363
I know this is old but I want to respond anyways- every round, something new should happen.

Your enemies should never stand there and trade blows with the party. You should recognize when your monsters are losing, which means that they should, too. They should retreat to a better position, knock over trees, collapse the ceiling, call for help, something. Anything.

I mean, the players don't stand there and slowly lose while getting beaten up. Why would your monsters?
>>
I have a friend who I'm about to start gaming with later this week who keeps talking about how shit Monks are but I kinda like them. What's a decent Open Palm Monk build I can use to prove him wrong? We'd be starting at level 5 and using point buy that the book describes.
>>
>>44212673

Most frustrating thing watching Critical Role and it being all too obvious that the bad guys are getting absolutely HAMMERED and there's no attempt to redress the balance or change tack.

...Or maybe there is, but the annihilation is so complete that it doesn't matter what they try and do.
>>
>>44213837
Pump dex and wis. That's literally all you need to do. Building good characters in 5e is not hard. Enjoy your flurry of blows knocking opponents down and the ability to stun at 6th level.
>>
>>44208280

Depends entirely on the Oath and the Patron.

For instance; a Vengeance Paladin might determine he needs greater power to fulfill their Oath so bargains with a Fiend (who in turn is trying to corrupt a pillar of devotion)

A Devotion Paladin might make a pact with the Undying Light of the Positive Plane to help spread light to the land

An Ancient Paladin might make a pact with a powerful Fey to help defend the land

It's D&D for crying out loud - more than half the game is thinking up ways to make things fluffy - why would you play it if you struggle with something so simple
>>
>>44213872
Really? I often gear people talk about multiclassing even in 5th for some weird optimization but if just Dex and Wis is enough for him I'll take it.
>>
>>44213955

Absolutely every class can be played straight, with one important stat and a secondary one pumped. Even the ranger.
It's just that the ranger doesn't get anything particularly fun, outside of some circumstantial bonuses.
>>
>>44213872
Stunning is 5th. 6 gives you magic hands.

OHM6 punches 4 times at d6 ignoring nonmagical resistance for 1 Ki. It is good to be der monken.
>>
>>44211704
>Fail saves on nat1
Go back to 3.5, retard.
>>
>>44214177
To be fair, all Monks do that at 6. Open hand can also throw people and heal themselves.
>>
>>44212105
Fiend is awesome for bladelocks though. But in terms of abilities, imo: GOO > Fey > Fiend

Undying is pretty shitty if you ask me
>>
>>44214300
>Undying is pretty shitty if you ask me
>skeletons can't see you from level 1
>free spare the dying
>better necromancer than necrowizard
You clearly aren't spooky enough.
>>
>>44214340
Wait, how does this work?
>>
>>44214340
Am I missing something? Warlocks can't cast animate dead.
>>
>>44213837
The best thing I can think of would be variant human monk with the tough feat to net in some extra meat, stat spread 10/16(+2ASI)/14/8/16/8. This will net you 17 AC, 48HP, and you have all your nifty monk abilities. You should do fine.
>>
>>44214270
To be fair to anon, bounded accuracy means that the only save you're likely to succeed on a nat 1 is the easiest of concentration saves, and not even that until fairly high levels.

They probably should have kept it anyway. Concentration is one of the ways they gave casters some much-needed balance, and making concentration saves harsher would help control not only casters but especially those obnoxious Mary Sues who try to be good at magic and frontline fighting at the same time.
>>
>>44214646
Fuck no, nat1 was the worse idea ever for saves...maybe not much now not becasue bounded accuracy but because there really aren't Save-or-Die spells anymore.

Fuck, 3.5 was so aweful, I remember losing many characters due the nat1 on saves even though I could pass the DC with a nat-3 or so.
>>
>>44214887
This is the world's smallest violin playing for your characters who unfairly died when they should have been until label like they were in your headcanon.
>>
>>44213837

>>44214630
Tough will add survivability at level 1, but beyond that you want to not have to rely on tanking with your hitpoints if at all possible. There's other interesting things you can do with races and feats beyond simply getting more hitpoints.

For instance, an Aarakocra with Mobile could fly around the battlefield, smacking niggas upside the head before flying off. With Open Hand, you could potentially knock down dudes up to 60 feet apart, which provides a pretty good degree of battlefield control. And with any additional movement, you could hover just out of enemy melee reach, while knocking away ranged attacks with Deflect Missiles.

Meanwhile, a Ghostwise Halfling with Mounted Combat could, by the mount rules, ride on the shoulders of one of your Medium-sized allies and swap all their defenses for its own. Remember that Monks gain proficiency with all saves later down the line, and once you have 15s in everything, you get a better AC than anyone who isn't a Bladesinger, Barbarian, or plate-and-shield-user.

You could also consider grabbing Hex, Hunter's Mark or Divine Favor (for instance, via Magic Initiate) to drop on niggas to deal up to 4d6 additional damage with Extra Attack and Flurry. Hex has the additional benefit of fucking up any one of the target's saves of your choice, making Open Hand's abilities far more reliable.

Monks are terrible for multiclassing, though, because of how monk weapons are written. I'm still upset about this.
>>
>>44215053
>until label
?

He's right though, nat 1 automatically failing saves is awful because the only time that would ever come up is when your bonus is equal to or greater than the DC, so it's only a situation that can occur when your character already completely outclasses the challenge.
>>
>>44215228
Valid points. Mobile and magic initiate are good feat options for variant human and other race options too. It all depends on what you think will work best. If the Aarakocra race is allowed by your DM definitely grab it. Flying is OP.

Tbh even if there is no rule against it I'm still iffy on small PCs riding medium PCs.
>>
>>44215228
>15s
That should be '+5s', if it wasn't clear. Dunno how I typed 1 instead of +.
>>
>>44215228
>Hex has the additional benefit of fucking up any one of the target's saves of your choice

Ability check not save.
>>
>>44215850
Hex is great for grappling
>>
new to DnD and im thinking of having a campaign to play in the background on youtube while I do things so I can kinda hear how the game works. any recommendations?
>>
>>44207190
If a quaggot with 6 hd gains a level, does he get a better proficiency bonus?
If not, when does he?
>>
>>44216456
the Starters set is good.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1440x900
>>44207190
How likely are we to see old campaign settings resurrected? Should the game embrace its root and let the players travel the planes and planets as bands of rogue traders and space outlaws?
>>
>>44216505
We might get ravenloft next year.
>>
>>44207190
>bag of sand is an item
Fuck this shit, thats the last thing I would want to steal from a dungeon
>>
>>44216568

It's really fine volcanic sand, though.
Get enough of those and you will have the absolute best beach ever.
>>
>>44207324
Hopefully one with the mystic class released in it
>>
>>44216592
hum.... nice

>>44216468
thats a hard one, when monsters getprof bonus?do they ever?
>>
>>44216568
>bag of sand
Only place I see it is the scholar's pack in PHB 151.

Apparently, sand is used for quickly drying ink.
>>
>>44207190
I apologize guys, but I can't remember.

What was the published adventure that you/we/tg seem to decide was the 'best'? Christmas shopping, and I can't remember.
>>
>>44216456
I've found stuff from this guy to be pretty good, single-sitting games and longer campaigns for beginners and others.
https://youtu.be/dM90-mzwyqc
https://youtu.be/s-0t7R5faJo
Also a handful of character creation videos where he explains the details like these
https://youtu.be/5J117cD-A8s
https://youtu.be/WccTLpvh7P0
>>
>>44217011
Well HotDQ is mentioned here a lot and I personally enjoyed LMoP. Playing through OotA and its very enjoyable but a bit rough your first few levels. If I had to chose one I would go with OotA but I haven't played HotDQ or PotA yet so I'm a bit bias.
>>
File: The Wizards Amulet (5E).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Wizards Amulet (5E).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44217196
Thanks!

Have something to look at in exchange.
>>
Do people like it when bottomless chasims are between you and the targets?
Half the party ends up hanging on the edge due to bad rolls.
>>
>>44216505
If we got a Planejammer setting do you guys think it would benefit from making the Phlogiston and the Deep Ethereal into a single transitive plane? Like, you could visit the elemental planes by spelljammer?
>>
>>44217266
Interesting. I'll give it a thorough read once I am home but it seems like a fun adventure from what I skimmed.
>>
>>44217011
HotDQ and RoT are only good books if you put alot of work into them and have more than a few flaws.

PotA is a great open world adventure with lots of dungeon crawling at the later parts of the adventure. The structure and general writing of the book is way better than HotDQ. The open nature of the books makes it harder to run for newer DMs imo.

OotA plays in the underdark, is the best structured one and has a lot of strange moments to entertain your players. It has many unique NPCs which are one of the best aspects of the book. Throw in madness and you have a hard but unique experience.
>>
>>44217288
That's an inevitable end result of anything that involves rolls to pass.

Put a locked door in front of the party and watch them waste 15 minutes fruitlessly slamming against it because they keep rolling 1s on their Disable Device and Strength checks, and then get made because "Why do we even need to roll for things like this?"

D&D is a game up until players start failing, then it becomes a chore.
>>
>>44217011

Princes is great, I'm playing it at the moment
>>
File: 1326532429277.jpg (10 KB, 213x191) Image search: [Google]
1326532429277.jpg
10 KB, 213x191
>GM gives you a +2 weapon that deals extra 1d8 damage at 2nd level
>Next sessions complains about how much damage you deal and how easy is for you hit enemies
>Mfw listening to his rant
>>
>>44217529
>The open nature of the books makes it harder to run for newer DMs imo
I only meant the open nature of PotA
>>
File: Not_Possible.gif (309 KB, 245x150) Image search: [Google]
Not_Possible.gif
309 KB, 245x150
>>44217664
I kind of know this feel

>playing greatsword fighter, str 18, +1 sword
>DM drops homebrew cursed demon armor
>armor gives AC 18, +4 strength
>Okay I guess the curse will probably balance it out
>Curse is can't rest with it on, trying to take it off doesn't work and deals damage
>DM seems to think this will dissuade me from using it
>I have the cleric cast remove curse whenever I need to do a long rest
>+10 to hit at level 6-7
>DM's face when my power attack hits on a 9 and does like 26 damage
>don't even bother rolling damage for most mooks. My minimum is enough to oneshot them

This is what being a fighter should feel like.
>>
File: BlwyLSj.jpg (119 KB, 896x1074) Image search: [Google]
BlwyLSj.jpg
119 KB, 896x1074
My party are ghosts that are working for Death. Masks of Myrkul allow them to interact with the tangible world in a physical way, albeit in the guise of a hooded specter. (+2 Stealth and Intimidate, MAKES YOU TALK IN ALL CAPS.)) They're working to regain their mortality, and in the meantime they're tasked with reestablishing Myrkul's cult in Waterdeep. Some of the local morticians have cast aside their faith in Kelemvor for the Reaper's favor, but they're shit at anything that isn't embalming and looking sad in suits. (One of my players is a mortician, he's gonna love this.) So the party must act as the muscle for a fledgeling cult, their base of operations being a secret tavern in the catacombs, its clients being primarily other ghosts, undead and the occasional necromancer. The party's first task will be to murder three mortal citizens who have cheated death in one way or another.

The first is a fiddler who happens to be passing through with a group of traveling performers. They're housed in a brothel and burlesque house. Here I want the party to fight they're way through the motley gang of knife wielding mummers and fools as they chase the fiddler up to the roof. They could manage to kill him stealthily, but Myrkul wants the deaths to be public. Removal of the masks makes the players instantly invisible, (should they prove smart enough to figure that out).

The second target is a Paladin who defeated Myrkul in a game of dragon chess. He resides within the temple of Tyr with his other paladin buddies, and will serve a much tougher but simpler fight. The knights will confront the party straight on and will be able to take advantage of their status as undead. I'm hoping they're smart enough to just kill the guy as discretely as possible and get the hell out.

What should the third challenge be? These conflicts will be the basis of the next game, so I want the last fight to be unforgettable.
>>
File: chopper-scared-out-of-his-mind.png (134 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
chopper-scared-out-of-his-mind.png
134 KB, 500x281
>tfw holidays means your current fav group won't be playing for three weeks
>>
>>44218480
Fuck you. It's fucking IMPOSSIBLE for my group to ever make a game workout with everyone's shit schedules.
>>
File: 1448828475388.jpg (85 KB, 948x461) Image search: [Google]
1448828475388.jpg
85 KB, 948x461
>>44218480
>tfw you want to start playing d&d but the nearest shop is an hour and a half away and your friends are /sp/
anon consider the circumstances of others.
>>
>>44218541
You can order all your books online for half the price you pay in a store. See if you can contact the store owners on Facebook and talk to them about groups that may play in your area.
>>
>>44218480
I know that feel. I've missed the past three weeks with one of my group because of work and will miss the next two because of holiday plans. It sucks but I enjoy meeting up with the family so I can't complain too much.
>>
File: 1416025321773.jpg (26 KB, 400x343) Image search: [Google]
1416025321773.jpg
26 KB, 400x343
>>44218480
>tfw you haven't played since three months because the DM is studying hard
>>
>>44218622
I've had the 'starter' set and the player's handbook for a little while now, dl'd all the free basic info as well, read through that. Feel as though i've got a good basic understanding of how/what.

I don't have any clue on how to jump into a game when i've never played before, especially if i'm not involved in the shop 'scene'. But i'll try your advice out, thanks anon.
>>
>>44218915
I've never set foot in a shop. Grow some goddamned balls and just jump into it unprepared. Bully your friends into playing while you DM, that's what I did. 'Course, I was buzzing on ADHD meds at the time, and I was unemployed, so I had lots of time on my hands...
>>
>>44219110
yeah that whole 'nut-up-or-shut-up' routine was nice overseas, but forcing my buddies through sheer force of will to sit down for hours at a time and RP doesn't sound like it's going to end very well for me anon.

I'd much rather find a group, and spend the embarrassing time getting into the groove as opposed to sitting down my buddies and force feeding them shit they've never heard of.
>>
File: Anchor 2.jpg (85 KB, 404x707) Image search: [Google]
Anchor 2.jpg
85 KB, 404x707
Continuing from last thread, would it be insufferable to play a former pirate paladin who uses a barnacle-laden shield and old anchor (warpick) to mete out his own brand of Umberlee's judgement?
>>
>>44219219
Sounds like fun to me. I would definitely play one. It can't end up any worse than my groups sea worshiping cleric who can't swim to save his life.
>>
Creating my wizard right now. We rolled stats. Should I put 14 into Dex and 10 into Con or the other way around?
>>
>>44219332

Con without question.
>>
>>44219171
Why are you friends with these douchebags, then?
>>
>>44219332
You can either try to buff your pitiful wizard HP, and get a boost to those concentration saves, or get a boost to not being hit at all.
Personally I'd go with Dex. Slap on a mage armor and you've got a respectable naked 15 for 8 hours.
>>
>>44219355
>>44219398
Yeah both seem logical. But those 2 AC won't make such a great difference and better saving throws for holding your concentration seems nice. I'm playing a necromancer if that makes any difference.
>>
>>44219332
Your AC won't be reliably high enough to matter. Stick with improving your con.
>>
How have your quests to find a mythical city campaigns gone?
>>
>>44219367
I've known two of them since kindergarten, served with one, and work with the last one. None of them are into this stuff, just like i'm not into going out with them to dives on Friday nights. They respect that, I respect this. Just how it is anon, not all of us have friends that share all the same interests.
>>
>>44219443
It depends on what your ac would normally be without the dex. If you are playing a mountain dwarf for instance, you could be a wizard with 17 AC if you went for the dex. If its just boosting your AC from 10 to 12 though? Yeah, your ass is getting tagged every hit anyway and you should just go con.
>>
File: Goblinoid Playable Races.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Goblinoid Playable Races.pdf
1 B, 486x500
My pet project I'm working on beside running Lost Mines is a mini-campaign (level 2-5) where the PC's are all goblinoids working together to fight human and elven scum.
This is my attempt at making bugbears, goblins and hobgoblins into PC races. Any thoughts?
>>
How do extradimensional spaces work with distance limitations for spells? Say I cast Tenser's Floating Disk and then I cast Rope Trick and climb in. Would the disk disappear the minute I entered the space?

Also, small aside, what is the inside of a Rope Trick space like? It's just described as an extradimensional space. Is it just up to my imagination?
>>
>>44220391
I don't quite see why you would want to be a goblin with the other 2 options there.
Hobgoblins and bugbears are much more powerful than the other options in the PHB, but thats fine if its all they are able to play, its balanced between your new races.

Except goblins. Ask yourself what class you could possibly want to be that wouldn't be better as either a hob or bugbear.
>>
>>44207239
HP: 150, AC: 16, Speed 50, PB: +4
Stats: 14/18/-/14/8/6
Skills: Acrobatics +8, Athletics +6, Perception +3, Stealth +8
Darkvision: Perfect vision in the dark up to 120 feet.
Shadow Aura: Gives off a strong evil aura
Grappler: When using bite, may attempt a grapple check as a free action. Grappled targets take an extra 1d6 damage per attack
Leap: May move up to half its movement by jumping instead of moving.
Reckless Stance: May prop itself up on two legs to gain extra attacks, losing the ability to leap and becoming weak to stability-based attacks
Attacks: Multi attacks, may attack 3 times per round, 5 if on two legs.
Claw: Reach +8, 1d6+4 (up to 1/round on four legs, up to 3/round on two legs)
Bite: Melee +6, 2d6+2 (1/round)
Tail: Reach +8, 1d4+2 (1/round) Save Str 16 or knocked prone

How's this, then? 3d6+1d4+8 dmg/turn if all four attacks hit. 12-30 dmg per turn. 5d6+1d4+16 on two legs. 22-50 dmg per turn.

Maybe I should bump the damage by one dice. Would get me 12-38 and 22-62 instead.
>>
File: kenku.jpg (3 MB, 1280x1792) Image search: [Google]
kenku.jpg
3 MB, 1280x1792
Still working on my Kenku homebrew from last night. Any suggestions?
>>
So...

do they intend on releasing more classes or archetypes?

I'd at least be interested in prestige classes.

I just want some more choices in character leveling or creation. The great thing 3E has is a good variety of choice I'm sure they could reach a middle ground
>>
>>44221569
I would say that as long as you were close enough to the effect, as if you had a string going to it, it would persist, even if you were hidden in a rope trick. This wouldn't apply to a planar portal, but extradimensional space seems like a TARDIS deal, where you're blowing up a tiny point in space to a usable room.
As far as looks, I'd imagine a black void with the hole at the bottom. Imagination, yes. Design, as if by the Mansion spell, no.
>>
>>44221698
SCAG just came out last month with new subclasses for all but three of the base classes, plus new racial variants.
>>
>>44221673

Goblins are the only one who gain a boost to Wisdom, so they'd be the go-to for optimizers who want to roll Cleric or Druid.

But yeah, I've been scratching my brain for what else to give Goblins other than free expertise in Stealth or Sleight of Hand.
>>
I want to make a skeleton bard. Former lich minion who one day found a lute in the dungeon off the corpse of a bard and after fiddling with it never looked back. He goes by the stage name Pelvis Presley. Is there a skeleton PC race?
>>
>>44221760
By subclass do you mean archetype?

Either way I would love to see some prestige classes from the 3.5 books show up as a full 20 level class instead of the prestige system. Or something like that.

Like that class that could summon vestiges.

Just some real neat fluffy variety.

Because i love the fuck out of FLUFF.

In my 3.5 game I'm playing a Walker in the Waste. I fucking loooove it. I'm already plotting a dastardly plan to raise the temperature band to the point Water Boils
>>
>>44221802
Note: I do like 5e though for the sole fact it's a lot less math and all the weird ass crazy builds people do to get a +50 bonus to diplomacy at level 5
>>
I feel kind of ripped off that I purchased my Players Handbook before the Errata was released. Like there's a whole page of things wrong with my book I don't know about unless I look it up. I just spent like 10 minutes confused about the Grappler feat because I forgot about the errata.
>>
>>44217558
The DM has to be in control of when dice are rolled. Never volunteer to roll dice, because all you're volunteering for is the chance to roll a 1. Once my party's rogue started rolling to pick the lock on a gate he'd already picked but shut afterward to keep enemies out. The DM was going to just let us re-open the gate without a roll, until he saw that the rogue rolled a 1. Then the lock jammed and several more enemies came at us while we were stuck on the wrong side of the gate.
>>
File: when to call for rolls.png (147 KB, 280x293) Image search: [Google]
when to call for rolls.png
147 KB, 280x293
>>44217558
>>
Why aren't Rogues proficient in scimitars? What's the harm in giving them free proficiency in the only finesse slashing weapon?
>>
>>44221696

You could probably just get rid of all the features besides Darkvision and just give them the Actor feat automatically.

Cuts down the clutter.

Also puts them back up to +2 charisma but sneakily and consistent with Variant Human's race design.
>>
>>44222355
Whips are also finesse slashing.

But I assume it's a thematic thing, with rogues being largely proficient in the "stabby stab" weapons. They're functionally identical to shortswords so there's no harm.
>>
File: 1429057302870.jpg (131 KB, 500x744) Image search: [Google]
1429057302870.jpg
131 KB, 500x744
>>44222437

>functionally identical to shortswords

They are until you're fighting Skeletons anon.
>>
File: Goblin Races - Copy.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Races - Copy.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44221673

Okay, I THINK I might have been able to bring Goblins up to par with their Hob / Bugbear cousins.
>>
File: spooky.png (342 KB, 395x437) Image search: [Google]
spooky.png
342 KB, 395x437
>>44222485
Keep thinking that, anon.
>>
>>44222509

Any DM worth his semen will houserule it that skellies are resistant to piercing and slashing.
>>
>>44222509

Shit, I could have sworn they had resistance to piercing, what the fuck monster am I remembering?
>>
>>44222485
Except skeletons no longer resist piercing. They are vulnerable to bludgeoning with nothing more than ranged attacks and a decent AC to help them survive. Not that I'm complaining. i still like skeletons more than zombies when it comes time to raise my undead army.
>>
File: MR BONES.jpg (65 KB, 367x306) Image search: [Google]
MR BONES.jpg
65 KB, 367x306
>>44222485
Does the ride ever end?
>>
>>44222529
Only the grog DMs who are allergic to change, no matter how insignificant.
>>
File: Saul Merser The Sellsword.jpg (18 KB, 236x446) Image search: [Google]
Saul Merser The Sellsword.jpg
18 KB, 236x446
So, I have been tinkering with a fighter build for awhile, and when it can time to settle on a background, I noticed the City Watch start with manacles, which I thought was more expensive than they actually are. Apparently they are only 2 GP. That got me thinking of why people don't use them more often. Granted you can't manacle a monster or a beast but if you're up against a particularly tough humanoid enemy, you could always grapple and cuff them. The escape DC is relatively high for anything lower in level.

In sum, how many of you actually buy and / or use manacles and what interesting things have you done with them?
>>
>>44222500
Nimble escape might be too strong. Word it so only the first square of movement does not provoke attacks of opportunities.
>>
File: Mimic.png (287 KB, 625x497) Image search: [Google]
Mimic.png
287 KB, 625x497
>>44217664
SUN BLADE. Playing Out of the Abyss?
>>
>>44222866
I disagree, is an extra 10ft of AoOless movement really that strong? That it will make or break an ability already letting you avoid attacks of op? When there are so many abilities that do it already?

Besides that, it would prevent hella dumb shit like this
>The knight with the halberd charges you and misses
>I'll use my goblin racial ability to move backwards away from him then
>OK, but you provoke an attack of opportunity since he has a reach weapon, making your ability useless :^)
>>
>>44221781
http://imgur.com/a/GCmZm
>>
So /tg/, in your opinion what is the most brutal damage dealing class/build in the game? Fighter? Rogue? Sorcerer?
>>
>>44223497
>homebrew
>imgur
>reddit
That couldn't be more cancer if you tried.
>>
>>44223614
Fighter and paladin.
>>
>>44223657
Yeah, total... Wait a minute, you are not /tg/, you are /co/!
>>
Where does it explicitly state that Paladin Oath Spells are always prepared?
>>
>>44223798
>>
File: finalsieni.png (25 KB, 160x354) Image search: [Google]
finalsieni.png
25 KB, 160x354
Alright, I wonder if pitting this against 5 lv9 PCs is gonna horribly kill them without resistance.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Medium Undead ( shapechanger ), lawful evil
AC 18
HP 171 ( 18d8+108 )
Speed 45ft.
------
STR 20 DEX 20 CON 20
INT 18 WIS 18 CHA 18
------
Damage Resistances: cold; necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing and slashing
from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities: poison
Senses: Darkvision 120ft., passive perception 18
------
[Abilities]
Shapechanger: As per vampire
Martial Legacy: 12 monk levels ( = 12 ki )
> Evasion
> Deflect Arrows
> Stunning Strike
> Open Hand Technique ( dexterity save or get proned, strength save or get shoved 15ft, or no reactions4u )
> Feat: maneuvers, 1d6 superiority die, disarming strike and sweeping attack.

Legendary Resistance ( 3/d )
Misty Escape: As per vampire
Regeneration: 20 per round
Spider Climb
Vampire Weaknesses
------
[Actions]
Multiattack ( vampire form ). Three attacks.

Unarmed Strike.
>Melee Weapon Attack, +9 to hit, reach 5ft. one creature.
>Hit: 9 (1d8+5) bludgeoning or slashing damage and 3 (1d4) cold damage. Instead of dealing damage, she can attempt to grapple

Mighty Drain:
Grapple, drain blood. No bite, but the drain hits harder ( 4d6 necrotic damage per round ) and restores ki ( 1 per round )

Space Ripper Stingy Eyes
Jets of blood from eyes. 150ft. line, 8d8 piercing damage, DC18 dex to halve. Pierces flesh and stone. Recharge 5-6.

Charm: As per vampire, DC 18

------
[Legendary Actions]
3 of the bunch

Move
Unarmed Strike
Maneuver ( cost 3 )
Regain superiority dice ( cost 2 )
>>
>>44223650
Is it a homebrew? It looks real, like in my books
>>
File: newbie page.png (306 KB, 1161x1507) Image search: [Google]
newbie page.png
306 KB, 1161x1507
Do those premade character sheets from the starter set have a blank version in pdf form? Maybe a form fillable version?
>>
>>44223918
The progression on the back, no. The fronts are basically what the final 5e sheet turned out as, though.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets
>>
>>44223932
I've got those. I've even got the superior version that's been edited into a proper version that can be edited and changed in adobe if needed.

The problem is that placing the inner-workings of a character class, even one cut down to a single archetype, can't fit on the standard page. I'm trying to fit the details of a paladin up to level 5 and the oath text just gets too small, considering that I'm planning on printing them off.
>>
File: Kale Devilfuge The Vengeful.jpg (166 KB, 736x963) Image search: [Google]
Kale Devilfuge The Vengeful.jpg
166 KB, 736x963
>>44223614
Depends on whether you mean in one turn or dpr. The paladin can deal the most dpr until he runs out of spells to channel his smites with but the fighter can deal the most damage in one turn. A damage optimized battle master fighter (ignoring magic items) can deal 16D6 + 6D12 + 40 + 80 damage at max level while a vengance paladin can deal 6D6 + 12D8 + 10 + 20 damage. This comes out to a 110 damage difference between fighter and paladin in one turn, but the fighter literally blows everything to pump that shit out. The paladin can do his lesser damage a lot more times before he is exhausted of his resources. Also worth noting, paladins will straight up do more damage early levels because the fighter relies on having more attacks to dish out his massive amount of damage.

GWM is one fucking beast of a feat. It's fair when you keep in mind the odds of hitting all your attacks while using it is very slim until late levels but if your lucky or if you play your cards right you can tip the odds in your favor.
>>
Claws of the umber hulk. They're gauntlets forged from umber hulks. Does wearing them as a monk remove his magic ki punching and furthermore do they count towards unarmed strike? They'd basically be the only punch weapon a monk would wear.
>>
>>44223067
No. It wasn't a premade campaing, also the 1d8 extra damage is against any target hit.
>>
Thinking of adding some 3.PF stuff to my campaign in order to liven up combat a bit more. PF's charge with +2 to the attack roll and -2 to AC until your next turn is a definite yes to my additions (the 5e charging feat is absolute shit and I would tell anyone attempting to take it that isn't allowed), and probably most of the combat maneuvers as well. Not really entirely sold on adding the flanking mechanics, but I don't see a strong reason not to.

And for that matter, I want to bring back move actions. 5e feels much too lenient when it comes to free actions. Drawing a sheathed weapon for example doesn't make a bit of sense to leave as a free action.
>>
>>44218377
Maybe someone who has achieved, or is close to achieving, immortality? A mad alchemist or a secret necromancer who's on their way to lichdom. Give them a serious threat to Death's authority.
>>
>>44222864

I always carry a pair of masterwork manacles, two or three regular ones, as well as the usual 50ft of rope.
I also like to invest in sacks you can put on people's heads, gags or anything that can nullify a mage's ability to cast.
Then again, I also carry tarp, wax, string, folding ladders, you know, virtually every knickknack in the book once I get a bag of holding.
>>
What does an Oath of Vengeance Paladin do after the target of their oath has been defeated?
>>
>>44223889
Nice boss, the way I see it

>Jets of blood from eyes
Oh, my
>>
>>44224423

The oath is more about fighting something like "slavery" than killing "Dan the Slaver".
Even if all slavery is somehow stopped everywhere, there'd be other injustices.
>>
>>44223889
Dio pls
Also do you have a sun monk in your party by chance?
>>
File: actually dio.jpg (62 KB, 666x561) Image search: [Google]
actually dio.jpg
62 KB, 666x561
>>44223889
>Does not deal cold damage on grapple
>Can't raise vampires
>Does not just fucking disintegrate under sunlight
>Does not have weakness to radiant damage
>No bonuses out the ass to persuade, intimidate, deception and acrobatics
>No second head-only form
2/10 would not pose with

No, I can't actually comment on whether he's actually balanced. Why does he have 18 Int anyway?
>>
>>44224423
Attack other targets without advantage? Hopefully you targeted the biggest fucking melee hitter on the enemy side, and there aren't many targets left when he goes down.
>>
>>44221781
A singing skeleton, you say?
>>
>>44224423
>OaV paladin
>paladins in general
>ever being done with their oaths

The only way out is dying somewhere hopefully gloriously but probably alone and surrounded by the bodies of your friends and enemies alike. As for OaV: someone out there right now is committing an evil act and it's your sworn duty to find that person and kill them.
>>
>>44223892
The fonts, backgrounds, and styleguide have been floating around for months, anon.

A lot of the stuff in the OP's homebrew repo looks real, like in your books.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.