[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Squire Quest Chapter 1: Helping Hands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1
You are a squire.

Not a glamorous position, as you can already tell. Being the number two to a guy above you is never the preferred option. You have to do all the lifting, busywork, and in the worst case scenarios, get your knight out of sticky scenarios.

But that sweet reward at the end! A knighthood of your own, your OWN squire to boss around and so much glory to reap! It's almost worth putting it up with it all. Emphasis on almost.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, /tg/.

>What is our name?
>>
>Arthur, our parents had high hopes for us, and while we won't ever be a king, we're already working towards becoming a knight and making them proud!
>>
Bum, for our father Bum, and his father Bum (Called Grand Bum now, as you are called Little Bum)

You come from a proud line of dirt farmers.
>>
>>44205541
Seconding Bum
>>
>>44205541
I also go with this! Top lel
>>
>>44205541
You always resented your grandfather for giving your father that name, since it had to then become your name.

'Little' Bum, so you are called, is the latest in the grand line of Soilhand family, the most trusted in the province with providing quality nutrient-rich soil.

Not that any of your medieval asses know what the fuck a nutrient is.

Normally, you would be condemned to the life of dirt farming. Shovelling mountains of the stuff, borrowing livestock to defecate in it and keep it 'blessed', and marrying some girl uglier than Krull the Burned himself.

But that all changed when he strode in, full plate mail and a glowing sword in hand.

Sir Gabavex.

Something in the way you patiently stood by waiting for old Quickfoot the stallion to do his business, the way you wiped mud on your brow, your...general lack of dysentery, it made him see the value in you.

The sheer surprise as Sir Gabavex actually asked your mother and father for your apprenticeship was staggering, and you were out by sundown with a bag strapped on your shoulder and a potato peeler in your pocket for self-defense.

Tell me: Do you enjoy working with Gabavex?

>Yes! He's given me a gracious opportunity, and I'm eternally grateful.

>Hell no. No one should ever have to do the menial crap I put up with!

>It's tiresome work, but it's far better than what I came from. He's a nice guy, too.
>>
>It's tiresome work, but it's far better than what I came from. He's a nice guy, too.
>>
>>44205627
>>
>>44205664
Gabavex is essentially the personification of 'firm, but fair.' A pound of work done is a pound of work earned.

Over the past six months of your apprenticeship, you've travelled and seen more in months that you have in all your sixteen years. The thrill of walking with steps like mice in the fortress of a rogue bandit leader, the swell of honor you felt presenting stolen goods back to the merchants who lost them, and the boyish love you've had for those princesses Gabavex has turned down...

All of them make the job tolerable.

Which brings you to now: Totally lost in the middle of a veritable metropolis, people rushing on both sides of you to get to where they need to be. Peddlers crying out prices. And, what else but more shitting horses.

You glance down in your hands. You have one letter, assigned to you by Sir Gabavex to mail to the magistrate of your home province. The other letter is to your friends of the Order of Succession.

Just a clever little name you're proud of coming up with for your network of other squires.

Still, as you gaze through the crowd of people, you don't see any sort of courier's office or other officiary.

There's three people standing close by to one another off to the side of the rushing crowd of people. An older man clutching a walking stick for dear life, a young girl about your age wearing armor with no helmet, and a suspiciously short man with a hood covering his face.

Who do you ask for directions?

>The old man.

>The girl in armor.

>The hooded figure.
>>
>>44205751
>>The girl in armor.
>>
>>The girl in armor
>>
>>44205751

Old man.
Don't you guys know that old men usually have good advises or first quests to epic quests lines?
>>
>>44205751
>The old man.
>>
The old man
>>
>>44205885
>>44205872
>>44205867

Ignoring all impulses a sixteen year old would have, you walk towards the old man.

"Excuse me," you start, "but I am not familiar with this town. I was wondering if you could direct me to the nearest--"

The man turns his gaze towards you, his mouth moving slightly as his mind begins to process your presence.

"Ah...you! Yes, yes, I remember, you wanted that map...one moment..."

You stare in bewilderment. He has to have you mistaken for someone else.

The old man fumbles with a coinpurse before taking out an incredibly folded square of parchment and hands it to you.

"I cannot repay you enough for setting my nephew straight, Rodrick. Please, any time you want, you're welcome in my abode!"

Oh, you feel so bad about taking this map, but you know a true knight takes initiative for adventure. And a map given to you by an old man reeks like the dirt farm back home for adventure.

Well, okay, a dirt farm isn't quite...nevermind.

"Yes, well, all in a day's work. Can you direct me to the courier's office? I have a few letters to send as well." You reply, trying to not let the deception slip.

"It's...hrm..." He pauses, looking down and counting with his finger as he passes over the street.

"Keep walking until you get to Cerran's magic shop. You know the one. The courier's office should be right next door. What is it this time Rodrik, mailing love letters to that little lady by the fishing docks, eh?"

You force a nod and run off for your actual job to finally be finished.

"And tell Sir McAllen I wish him well! That map is the key, I tell you!"

>Find the courier's office. Gabavex will be worried if we dilly-dally.

>Talk to the one of the other two locals (write-in.)

>Take a look at the map.
>>
>>44205949
>Find the courier's office. Gabavex will be worried if we dilly-dally.
>>
>>44205949
>Take a look at the map.
>>
>>44205949

Find the courier's office
>>
>>44205960
>>44205980

You're no closer to knighthood by being a miscreant!

That's what Gabavex would say, at least. And you knew deep down it was true.

Walking past the telltale runes carved into the bricks of a cornershop, you find what must be the courier's office. Stepping inside, you kick up a cloud of dust and pass through with a moment's cough.

Clearing the air with your hand, you spot two women, one more matronly, and the other seeming to be fresh in her twenties.

"'Ello 'ello! Welcome to the--"
"Hey, welcome to the--"

They both get up, the elder of the two making a grander gesture and the younger putting in minimal effort, both forming half of a rainbow shape. You can ironically see the wrinkles clearer on what must be the daughter's face.

"Laurent Family Postal Office!"
"Laurent Family Postal Office, I guess."

The young one sighs and moves up to the front desk to attend you. She brushes a dark bang of hair covering her right eye out of the way and glances down at you.

"Picking up or delivering?"

"Delivering!" You answer. You double-check to make sure both letters are signed and stamped and put them onto the counter. She glances them over and shrugs, tossing them into a bin of other letters and packages.

"Will that be all today?"

"Shhhhould be!" You say, trying to sound enthusiastic. Gabavex always said to act like you want to appear, and so you do.

Striding out of the office, you notice Gabavex off to the corner of the one of the darker alleyways. Curious, you step a bit closer before you stop.

>It would be rude to spy on my mentor. Besides, what if I get caught?

>What in the Radiant God's name is he doing...?
>>
>>44206062
>What in the Radiant God's name is he doing...?
>>
>>44206062
> I should probably contact the Order of Succession and give the map to Rodrick
>Wow, that sounds so important!
>>
>>44206062
>Why is he holding a cucumber like that?
>>
>>44206071
>>44206176

You inch towards him closer. He's definitely got something in his hands, and it's...

Oh, Radiant God above! Doesn't he know he'll go blind from that!? And in the alley? Why? Just, why?

You turn away and run down the streets to make certain he has no clue you were spying. Once you're sufficiently far away, you decide to simply stop and allow him to come to you. Gabavex knows his way around the city better than you, after all.

Pulling the map from your pockets and folding it out, you finally take a look at it. There's a rough texture to the entirety of it, but that isn't the interesting part.

Sketched in the bottom right, to what you presume is the southeast, is some sort of hand, or glove. Runic marks indicate something, perhaps a name, but there's no further information. Something that was very interesting to McAllen, you suppose.

You feel a hand come down hard on your shoulder. Turning up, you see it's Gabavex.

"Bum, my retainer. Good to see you're keeping up with your reading! Tell me truthfully, have you done what I asked of you? Or will I hear tales of how you dawdled in the brothel..again?"

> All done, sir! And ready for what's next!

> What's wrong with doing both?

> ...In an alley, huh?
>>
>>44206235
>All done, sir! And ready for what's next!
>>
>>44206251

"Hm...good! Enthusiasm is the strongest motivator there is. Well, put away your studies. It's time to mount up and head out, Bum!"

There was no better way to wipe the smile off your face than to have him call you by name. Why couldn't you have been a John?

You follow him to the stables, mounting your pony, Dunghoof. Again, the name may suit you, but you sure as hell don't like it.

As the two of you travel alongside the road, Gabavex turns his head back to face you.

"Tell me, my boy...have you ever heard the tale of the Ashen King?"
>>
>>44206368
[spoiler: fuck i forgot the choices]

> No, why?

> ...The man who wanted everything, right?

> Write-in.
>>
>>44206376
>...The man who wanted everything, right?
>>
>> ...The man who wanted everything, right?
>>
>>44206389
>>44206383

He nods grimly, and turns towards the horizon again.

"He had a name once, and a kingdom as well. As the name implied. His people loved him. Everything was peaceful. But on a trip to a neighboring kingdom, he noticed their wealth, their jewels, and the lavish wear of the general people."

"Something in him snapped. It grew and festered, whispering in his mind that he needed more than he had, when truly, anything more would be foolishly excessive."

"As the story goes--and this is where accounts get muddy--he brokered a deal with the demon Mammon, where he would trade 'something worthless' for something 'beyond human worth'." He scoffed a bit at that.

"The moment he signed that contract in blood, the demon snapped it's fingers and the kingdom was set ablaze. Because he saw no value in what he owned, it was all taken away, and all he got was a castle of soot and cinder-laden baubles. No one has found the kingdom or castle itself, so...who knows if it's true. "

"Do you get what I'm saying, Bum?"

> Read the fine print first?

> I should consider the value of what I have.

> Write-in.
>>
>>44206425
"All demons are fuckbois?"
>>
>>44206425
>> Write-in.
Honestly sounds like a load of bullshit sir. Deals with demons and all that. Fairy tales made up about real folk doing shitty things. Better to ascribe all man's evil to these fake dark creatures from beyond the mortal world then look at the fact he was just a bastard doing what bastard's do. We don't want to admit how evil we are by the facts of nature and want to put our guilt on these superstitions.

...but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>44206425
>>44206456
This
>>
>>44206447
Top lel.
>>All demons are fuckbois?
>>
>>44206456
>>44206447

"...Articulate, I see. The point of him making a deal with a demon isn't what I'm getting at. The story, true or not, is a metaphor for wanting it all when it is foolish to desire that much. Men kill for wealth, for status, hell, even for love."

He sighs.

"...I also question just what in the Nine Hells a 'fuckboi' is, but I digress. I just don't want you trying something you'll regret because you don't have everything you want just yet. Good things come in time if you go looking for them, while bad things hit you like a landslide."

A few more minutes of riding pass, as you survey the land. Wind swims through the seas of green grass that practically infests the countryside, and patches of flowers dot alongside the roads. The sun sets in a dreamlike shade of orange and pink, and birds settle into their nests as night begins to fall.

"So, Bum, tell me, how has your little 'Order' been lately?"

> Pretty good. Can't complain.

> Oh, just fine. But there's been a lull in communication with Nel. I'm worried...

> Write-in.
>>
>>44206497
>>my sides
>>gone.

> Oh, just fine. But there's been a lull in communication with Nel. I'm worried...
>>
>>44206497
>>
>>44206497
>It's almost harvesting season.
>>
>>44206518
>>44206515

Nel. Sheesh, where to begin?

It was in the Caves of the Black Hand. She had bumped into you, you had bumped into her, and you were both hopelessly lost and damn near doomed.

Through resourcefulness (and a frankly disgusting amount of ear wax between the both of you) you kept a lantern lit whilst wandering the caves, finally making it out to both your knights.

Lady (or is it Sir...?) Voth thanked you greatly for keeping Nel safe, as Gabavex thanked Nel herself in turn. Knowing you couldn't let someone you just survived a brush from death with slip, you started a series of letter correspondences with her and all the other squires you'd met on your travels. It's a wonderful way to not feel so alone in the world.

And yet...

It's been five weeks with no reply. That's an intense amount of time for nothing wrong to happen, and a very easy amount of time for all hell to be breaking loose with you none the wiser.

"I'm worried about Nel, Sir. She's gone silent."

He gives a firm nod.

"One should always be on the lookout for their compatriots. I'll start asking retainers if they've heard anything about Lady Voth and her squire. Now...do you know where we're going? Do you recall?"

> (Say nothing and realize how much of an absent-minded dunce you are)

> Krull's Reach. The mountain, right?

> (Write-in.)
>>
>>44206235
Hah, "Helping Hands." I get it.
>>
>>44206579
> (Say nothing and realize how much of an absent-minded dunce you are)
>>
>>44206601
>>44206601
>>(Say nothing and realize how much of an absent-minded dunce you are)
>>
>>44206601
For someone who hated being a dirt farmer, you have a remarkably similar intelligence level.

"...Krull's Reach, Bum. I've been tasked with retrieving an artifact from the camp of bandits there, and I figured you're mature enough to accompany me. Just stay close and don't leave my side at any point and we should come out of this fine. Got that?"

You nod and hop your stupid ass can remember that much.

As your horses stride up the winding mountain road, you start noting a shift in mood. The occasional bone litters the grass beneath the trees. Fog ekes in and out of crevices, and whispers tickle at your ears, some human, some not.

You wish you had a fresh pair of pants, or that you were at least a dirt farmer again.

A wooded gate made of several tied-together logs blocks your path. Gabavex holds his hand out to indicate you to halt.

"Now this...shouldn't be here. I was told that they had moved in within days, and yet this gate..."

You notice it too. Moss cakes the tips of the logs, and the bite-like marks on the ropes keeping it together indicate something's amiss.

Without a word, you pass him his blade, Dawn's Herald. And of course, your own makeshift weapon, Peely.

If weapon names were a cock measuring contest, you had a half-inch chub right now.

> Follow Gabavex's lead inwards.

> Offer to survey the area and learn some more about what's nearby.

> (Write-in.)
>>
>>44206695
> Offer to survey the area and learn some more about what's nearby.
>>
>>44206695
>>> Follow Gabavex's lead inwards.
>>
>>44206695
>> Offer to survey the area and learn some more about what's nearby.
>>
Offer to survey the area and learn some more about what's nearby.
>>
>>44206770
>>44206765
>>44206710

"I'll look around a bit. We don't want to be heading into a scenario we didn't prepare for, right?"

Gabavex gives a hearty smile, clearly approving.

"Right. I'll wait here and call you back if I need you immediately. But please, time is of the essence!"

You walk alongside the edges of the gate, crouching down by a greyed patch where the gate meets the stony beginnings of the mountain proper.

The vegetation sitting at the bottom has all gone brittle, and it easily crumbles in your hands as you move to touch it. The same whispers you heard moving up the mountain echo louder in your mind.

"Come in
Come in
Come in
Come in
Come in."

You slowly back away, brushing the dust of the flowers off on your pants. Taking a quick peek through a hole in the gate, you also notice no guards posted nearby, whether on the opposite side of the gate, or the guild entrance.

Important information, but something gives you a bad feeling about all this. Even the air seems to have chilled since you took a closer look.

> Report back to Gabavex.

> (Write-in.)
>>
>>44206925
> Report back to Gabavex
>>
>>44206943
Seconded.
>>
>>44206925
Ready your weapon and inspect area deeper
>>
>>44207031
He May Be dumb, But he's no coward..
Do this
>>
>>44206955
>>44206943

"Gabavex, sir. There's...some sort of rot a foot. I believe there's something foul afoot, and it's not just bandits we're going to be dealing with."

Gabavex looks from you to the gate, putting a firm hand on the hilt of his sword and drawing it.

"Well, the more we wait, the more time they have to prepare."

Gabavex kicks down the gate with a firm foot. The wood falls with a deafening crash, and he walks out to the cave's mouth, gesturing you to follow.

As you two both descent into the darkness, the walls feel like they close in the more you walk. The claustrophobia settles in slowly, and water drips slowly in some nondescript part of the cave.

The voices return, beckoning you further. Finally, you reach a chamber by itself, with water submerging you up to your ankles. You splash forward slowly, spotting a single gauntlet on a pedestal, meticulously arranged with several coffins laying open around it.

> Cautiously approach it.

> Take the damn thing!

> (Write-in)

((Note: I have my last final in a little over half an hour, so if the thread dies, expect Chapter 1.5/2 later tonight. How you all liking this so far?))
>>
>>44207155
Lame ass pussy shit choice
>>
>>44207155
> Cautiously approach it.
Make sure there is nothing in the water
>>
>>44207155
>>Ask Gabvrex what you should do with the gauntlet
>>
>>44207159
wut
>>
>>44207177
Seconded.
>>
>>check the area for traps, cautiously
>>
>>44207177
>>44207188
Stop being so generic, Jesus guys. Lol
>>
Courtesy bump for op
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.