[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Force of Will General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 35
File: 20151213_003342.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20151213_003342.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Derp Fairies Edition

What's new in the world of Force of Will?

Official Website: http://fowtcg.com/
Card Database: http://db.fowtcg.us/
>>
I just played a few games at my LCG and Reflect/Refrain is dumb. How do I beat Reflect/Refrain without becoming one of them?
>>
>>44200684
I just found out about this tcg. It's kinda recent, isn't it? Is it fun?
>>
File: Sinbad, the Windrider Comedian.jpg (167 KB, 556x777) Image search: [Google]
Sinbad, the Windrider Comedian.jpg
167 KB, 556x777
>>44200726
Thats funny, only one person played Refelct at my LCG tonight.
They lost hard and complained about Sylvia being the new meta.
>>
File: THE BURN IS REAL.jpg (197 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
THE BURN IS REAL.jpg
197 KB, 745x1040
>>44200872
I think it's loads of fun.
If you've played MTG before you'll pick it up fairly quickly.
Mana is relegated to a separate deck, so getting flooded or screwed is a non-issue.
People bitch about meta because buzzwords, but I've been brewing whatever I want since I started in the previous set and had no problems.
Then again I'm not trying to go to worlds.

In any case I'm having way more fun playing this than I was playing magic for over a decade.
>>
>>44201196

What kind of Sylvia decks were people playing? I'm playing a control-ish mid-range Dragons deck using Realm of the Dragon King and big dragons. It worked okay, but I just got out played by R&R.
>>
File: this fucking cat.jpg (67 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
this fucking cat.jpg
67 KB, 720x576
>>44202246
Mostly typical red aggro with Lancelot's, Ame's, C'thuga, etc.
He lumped me in with them just because I was using Sylvia, but mine was straight Red burn splashing Blue and Green for a draw engine.
The only main board resonators I have are Guin and Chesh.
>>
So is Force of Will just going to be Fairy Tales forever now? Wasn't it supposed to rotate after 3 sets?
>>
>>44202770

The "main character" of Force of Will seems to be Alice, who is a dimensional traveler from the land of fairy tale. So, the new story is that Alice goes to The Seven Kings Land, and then her friends from the Grimm lands come to help her through some dimensional memory shit (That's why Jeanne D'arc and the Princesses are back).

I think we'll often see them use fairy tales for cards because it's kinda just the flavour of the game. Hopefully, it'll taper off a bit, but I always liked how they incorporated mythological figures into the game, so I hope they don't stop that.
>>
>tfw your LGS only has the new starter decks and latest set so there's no variant at your LGS
>>
Anybody know if the game is popular in the College Park, MD area? I only ever played card games with my brothers and they're not around anymore.
>>
>Literally every top deck contains 4 copies of Guinevere the Jealous Queen
>>
>>44207180
Have you looked at the card? It's really fucking good.
>>
File: ENMPR021J.jpg (289 KB, 556x777) Image search: [Google]
ENMPR021J.jpg
289 KB, 556x777
>>44200872
It's MTG, with better mechanics, no mana problems, and Commanders build into the game from the start.
>>
>>44207162
You could check at your local game store if they have players there.
>>
I feel like this game is just 1 corporate decision away from dying completely

Thats where magic trumps this game, even if they fuck up sets like bfz block, you can always make a standard deck without it or avoid it all togetger and play one of the other formats like modern where its stable as fuck
>>
>>44209593
Well isnt that true with MTG too? When it started everything was so powerful, and then they used Revised to calm it down and slowly pull themselves up.

I think this game could potentially replace MTG, but this is to see. Everybody I seen so far, said that they prefer Force of Will to Magic because it's more interesting.
>>
File: now I have 2 playsets.jpg (202 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
now I have 2 playsets.jpg
202 KB, 745x1040
>>44207180
>>44208275
Good thing it got reprinted as regular rare then.
Now any old pleb can stuff a playset in for 1/4th the price it used to be.

>>44209593
>magic is better because when they fuck everything up you can play old cards with different rules
Really M9?
>>
How do you guys correct your cards with the erratas?
http://force-of-will-tcg.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cards_with_Errata
>>
>>44202246
r/g rush
>>
Whats the best aggro deck atm? Im assuming sylvia/Reflect knights/ Baha are all viable choices
>>
>>44211781
My friend runs Sylvia and I have yet to win a game against it, even post sideboard.
>>
I'm just still playing Vlad denial control, it's still been good to me. Only deck I lost to this past week was a fairies deck. Next week I'll be bringing Realm of the Dragon King as sideboard tech against it. I won't be able to mana ramp as hard without Elvish Priests, but what does it matter if they can't cast jack?
>>
>>44211989
1 Susanowo, the Ten-Fist Sword
2 Beastly Attack
2 Duel of Truth
4 Cthugha, the Living Flame
3 Excalibur, the God's Sword
3 Flame King's Shout
4 Flame Sprite
1 Gilles de Rais, the Golden Dragon
4 Lancelot, the Knight of Mad Demon
4 Rapid Growth
4 Rukh Egg
4 Snow White, the Valkyrie of Passion
4 Thunder

1 Sylvia Gill Palarilias
6 Fire Magic Stone
1 Little Red, the Pure Stone
3 Magic Stone of Blasting Waves

2 Robe of Fire-Rat
3 Deathscythe, the Life Reaper
2 Split Heaven and Earth
1 Susanowo, the Ten-Fist Sword
1 Blazer, the Eater of Dimensions
2 Sylvia's Roar
2 Ame-no-Habakiri
is my current build and it works well
>>
>>44212083
This actually happened to me when I was playing against my friends Sylvia deck. Grand Cross can deal with it so you might wanna bring something else too.
>>
>>44212083
Can you send me a list? I want to start playing Vlad once my Alice list is completed.
>>
>>44212411
I have Dark Pulse in the side already, but mostly for Alice's World, though I guess both work well against both. Actually, Realm would be a great side against a lot of things now that I think about it fU:
>>
>>44212744
This is the current list I've been running:

Resonators:
4x Fiethsing, the Magus of the Holy Wind
4x Elvish Priest
3x Gretel
3x Familiar of the Holy Wind

Spells
4x Thunder
4x Flame of Outer World
4x Stoning to Death
4x Xeex, the Ancient Magix
4x Exceed, the Ancient Magic
4x Law of Silence
2x Absolute Cake Zone

Stones
4x Magic Stone of Black Silence (B/G)
4x Magic Stone of Blasting Waves (G/R)
1x Magic Stone of Scorched Bales(B/R)
1x Wind Magic Stone (or Moon Shade, going with the basic Wind stone makes Gretel more reliable, but makes the rest of the deck less consistent)

Sideboard
2x Dark Pulse
2x Absolute Cake Zone
2x Fetal Movement in Outer World
2x Elvish Bowman
3-4x Realm of the Dragon King (untested, just added)
1x Gretel
2x Keen Sense

To be honest I rarely use much in the sideboard. Each sideboard item is for a specific matchup in my meta, so even if the skeleton stays the same your sideboard might be completely different.
>>
I'm so happy to see that FoW has been brought to /tg/

I'm running a Pricia deck, lemme know if you wanna know what I run!~
>>
>>44213030
Just post it faggot
>>
>>44210350
Well to be fair Magic is boring as hell right now. Every new set feels weaker and weaker... apparently, if a card allows a deck to win ever, it's too powerful. They're scaling back ramp, burn, control, and everything else so now everything is overcosted and you can't do shit in the first several turns.

I am switching to Force of Will.
>>
>>44213074
how expensive is this game to get into?
>>
How does /tg/ recommend getting started? Last I heard getting starter decks and the Vingolf box were the best entry points.
>>
>>44213127
I think not very. I picked up the latest duel deck for like $30 (I think it's on sale somewhere, though) and the decks are both pretty playable. The starter decks are supposed to be decent starting points and you can get a complete set of the Alice cluster decks from Potomac Distribution for $56+shipping.
>>
>>44213128
Singles are cheap as fuck, honestly.
>>
>>44200872
Played it back in the Summer. Was kind of fun at first, even though most of the game was aggro.
Then that one regalia came out and I stopped playing.
>>
>>44213233
Regalia isn't anywhere near the issue that it used to be. Most people either got bored of playing Baha or their group learned how to counter it.
>>
Anyone running revamped versions of old decks? I just put together a Turbo Pandora deck.

Pandora of Dark
4 Wind Sprite
4 Elvish Priest
4 Gretel
3 Elisabeth Bathory
3 Mephistopheles
3 Arthur Pendragon
3 Behemoth
4 Absolute Cake Zones
4 Law of Silence
4 Stoning to Death
3 Spiral of Despair
1 Book of Genesis

Magic Stones:
4 black/green
4 green/white
2 black/white
>>
>>44213707
I would love to build a control grimm deck, but Idk were to start
>>
My group is slowly losing interest in mtg and we were thinking of each picking up a starter deck from 7 kings. What do you guys thing is better, the valentina starter deck or the pricia one? I'm used to running aggro/stompy in mtg so I was thinking pricia but I really like the way Valentinas deck works and I'd like to play outside of what I'm used to. If I get into it where do I go from there?
>>
>>44213960
Well boxes are cheaper and have less cards count than Magic, so if you buy booster boxes/pack you will have easy sets. Cards are also less expansive for the most part, so you can build a net deck without too much problems I think.

Vingolf is also a great point to start because you have a lot of reprinted cards from the old cluster and 2 of each dual land.
>>
>>44213744
I'd run something like

4 Cheshire
4 Tinkerbell
4 Gretel
4 Matchstick Girl
2 Etna
4 Xeex
4 Cake Zones
4 Exceed
4 Send Back
4 Realm of Evolution
4 Matchsticks

Stone deck
4 blue/green
6 green
>>
>>44213992
I've been told this before and honestly it's not a bad idea but id rather find out I actually like the game first haha.

Try to figure out what I like and all that
>>
>>44214110
Ahh, well get your friends to get a different starter pack each, and then just try them all out. There is currently 7 Starters if you count the double, so it's not too much if you dont want to take any chances. After that you can always upgrade by buying boosters and modifying a little the decks or just jump in.
>>
>>44214156
Gotcha, thanks man.
Anything else?
>>
>>44213992
Is there an online site for decklists where I can see what the meta is like or what netdecks I'm interested in? Or is it all brews?
>>
>>44214234
Other than have fun, not really haha.

Also, you can count your life on a 40 point system like in Magic. Instead of 20 it's 40. 100 deal 1 1000 deal 10 and ect. Can make stuff easier. You dont have anything that deal 50 damage intervals.
>>
>>44214272
Tavern has a couple of decklists.
http://fowtavern.com/
>>
File: 1437627589872.png (35 KB, 283x218) Image search: [Google]
1437627589872.png
35 KB, 283x218
>>44214282

Yet. There's plenty of design space for it and I'm sure there will come a card that simply halves stats that will require it.
>>
>>44209593
Modern isn't stable, it's stagnant. Any format where the majority of decks are fast and uninteractive should not be touted as a good thing. The only good format in Magic is legacy purely because you're not forced into playing one of 3-4 decks to be consistently competitive, but legacy suffers from the problem of ridiculous pricing due to Wizards being a bunch of little bitches with reprints.

Force of Will is like legacy without the price tag to me.
>>
It feels like red is easily the most powerful colour in this game. Like, you HAVE to run red if you want to be competitive. Then shit like the Little Match Girl who I have in stamped foil from a god pack ;^) comes out and vomits value all over the place. Is the metagame still young? Aggressive decks tend to do well in new environments.
>>
I've only played MtG before but looking over the Ruler list Reflect//Refrain just seems crazy cool. If I wanted a draw-go style of control deck I'd be looking at green/white? What colours do good spot removal?
>>
>>44216172
You realise that you don't actually have to run any green to use that ruler, right?
>>
>>44216268
I had assumed that green was the colour of counterspells. Blue seems more in-line with bounce and mind-control (and threaten?) effects.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (181 KB, 557x777) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
181 KB, 557x777
>>44216537
I'm only just getting into this game coming from a MtG background that involves me being a massive tryhard, but my understanding of control has never been so much counterspells as out-valuing your opponent. Lands in legacy for example is a controlling deck, yet it's RG, so who even needs that counterspell shit.

What interests me most about this game is how you can directly use your resonators to gain board control due to the ability to directly attack resting resonators. I bought the Arla starter deck and pic related has only impressed me more and more in how it lets me control the board. Tap their dude, then smack it with Gwiber. Once board control is absolute, I win by default.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (124 KB, 536x758) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
124 KB, 536x758
Are vampire decks still a thing?
>>
>>44216715
Your understanding of control is rather limited then. Lands is closer to a stax/prison deck than it is a proper control deck. Control (in MtG) is about generating value through incremental advantage and answering any threats your opponent tries to use. Draw-go, the specific style of control that I mentioned, relies heavily on end of turn value through instant speed effects, namely, counterspell them if they try to play anything, Fact or Fiction them if they don't.
>>
Anyone play on untap.in ?
>>
I cannot for the life of me find a good Reflect/Refrain decklist. I've been running a monogreen with the Ref Support Creatures, Counterattack, Beastly Attack, and liberal application of using Ref to counter anything that kills my creatures for a 1TKO when I can make Servant big enough. I feel like this isnt the best way to use those skills, but I can't figure out what it is at all.
>>
>>44221536
People play him/her in aggro. Literally fits every deck plan. Just play whatever.
>>
>>44222688
>him/her
It's two different people, so I think "them" works best. Well, either two people or they're talking to themselves in the flavortexts of some of their cards.
>>
>>44222773
"Them" could mean two different cards so i went with something less ambiguous
>>
Whoa whoa whoa - when did we start having a FoWG? I remember most of /tg/ hating on it when it first came out and I was getting into it.

Anyways - how has experimentation been going with people and the new cards?
>>
>>44217154
>Control (in MtG) is about generating value through incremental advantage
Which Lands does with Loam and Punishing Fire.
>and answering any threats your opponent tries to use
Only if they're worth caring about. Miracles doesn't HAVE to Terminus the instant they see a Goyf hit the board.

I don't even think rulers are what makes your deck control in this game. Someone like Valentina lets you leave mana up, but I'm not sure what you can even do with that mana that's relevant. Vlad Tepes would reward stalling the game out I guess, and Reflect lets you sculpt your hand, but other than that I'm not feeling it.
>>
Any game that adds 0's to the end of their stat numbers for no fucking reason is always a giant piece of shit.

Fact.
>>
>>44223752
They did it because MTG holds a patent on how their atk and def is used. Its why everyone else adds a 0 or two or three
>>
>>44223802
Bullshit.

Hearthstone.
>>
>>44223812
digital vs physical. MTG holds the copyright on the physical cards displaying stats this way - not the digital display of stats.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5662332

Enjoy mate
>>
>>44223854
Fair enough.

I learned a thing.
>>
>>44223854
Copyright law really is the most petty thing.
>>
>>44211537
I was never clear on this myself since I'm relatively new to tcgs. Can guin banish herself to draw cards?
>>
>>44223907
I hadn't thought about it, but I don't see why not. If the game's rules are as close to Magic as they seem, then yes.
>>
Sigh...
>>
>>44223886
Im a battletech fan as well, tell me about it.

So my LGS's player base for FoW has almost doubled in the past month. Been playing a bunch of tier 2ish or 1.5 decks to try and not go super hard mode on the new players.

Been playing a fun Musketeer deck:

Ruler - Puss in Boots

15x Wind stones

4x Porthos The Three Musketeers
4x Athos the three musketeers
4x Aramis the three musketeers
2x Ryoma Sakamoto
2x Elvish Bowmen
2x Rukh

4x Musketeer's Bayonet
2x Evolution of Limits
2x Law of Silence
2x Keen Sense
2x Xeex the ancient magic
4x Wind dagger
2x Leaves of Yggdrasil
2x Siege Warface
2x Silver Shoes
>>
>>44223924
Ruling is Yes she can

Same as how you can do it in response to someone trying to remove her

Example:
>someone thunders her, she can sack herself before the thunder goes off since resolve is top down
>>
>>44223727
Have you tried looking at any of the other rulers aside from them? There are quite a few.
>>
>>44223958
Damn, that's probably why the card is so good then. Thank you for helping me out with that.
>>
Would blazer be able to kill refrain on his j-activate?
>>
>>44224044
Yes I think so - Lose abilities happens first, then destroy. With no abilities the opponent cant flip him back to hide him from being destroyed from effects (since it says J-rulers and reflect is only a Ruler)
>>
>>44224075
What if you used the new green card final forfeit on Blazer? Would it activate before Blazer's enter ability or no? Trying to find a way to stop my friend from just nuking him with blazer haha.
>>
>>44224113
Just remind yourself that everything resolves from the top of the chase to the bottom.

So a P1:Summon -> P2:Thunder -> P1:Xeex would resolve as Xeex first, Thunder, then Summon.

Meaning the Xeex makes the creature unable to be targeted, thus Thunder has no target and fizzles, allowing the newly summoned creature to stay on the field.

With this logic it would be

Blazer Jactivate first - if you can interrupt the activation then you can before the abilities go off. If blazer is activated with no interruption the case begins with his abilities on the bottom of the stack.
>>
>be me, Air Force guy
>play mtg for years, go out of town frequently and (still) win lots of GPT's
>fat body's underestimate me because I'm athletic and good looking
>now when I sit down at my local shop I always hear "fuck I didn't want to play you"
>pick up force of will because the cards look amazing
>build blazer knights my first week
>beat all of my friends
>decide to play in a tournament still my first week
>don't know shit about the meta
>find myself playing for first
>guy is so confident he'll win he exclaims it
>he's been playing since the beginning of FoW
>plays like 3 regalias per turn, activates his j ruler naming like 6 guys in his sideboard
>I still win
>game 2 sideboard in scythes, I win again

I feel like most FoW players were people who couldn't cut it in MTG but the game is great
>>
>>44224803
This is pretty common. at our LGS a lot of people, mainly with recent block of magic and the previews of the next one, have dropped and picked up FoW.

If they are going to stay after the block rotates out, who knows.
>>
>>44224075
>>44224044
No. Because you're not responding to Blazer entering the field, you're responding to Judgement. And even if you were, you can respond to the blanking by flipping back, because the ability hasn't resolved yet. The only way I've seen to kill Refs is:
1. Be Arla
2. Have the bow on feild
3. Somehow give Refs flying at instant speed (I guess via Almerius?)
4. Use the bow to kill Refs.
Since it's on their turn, they can't just flip themselves in response.
>>
>>44225667
Not the person you were responding to, but I have a question about the stack. If someone tried to flip back to the ruler side of R/R on your turn could you respond by giving it flying with almerius, wait for that effect to resolve and then kill it with Artemis before they were able to flip? Or does letting almerius' ability resolve cause you to be unable to respond until the stack is empty?
>>
>>44225778
The second one. Once people stop building the stack, the stack resolves until it's finished. That's why you need to do it on the Ref's turn.
>>
>>44225798
I thought so, thanks. I've been trying to come up with a way to kill R/R but it seems like more effort than it's worth.
>>
>>44225825
counter to r/r really comes if you have your deck made to counter it 100% with your side board being a completely other deck to smoke in once you beat the r/r decks
>>
>>44225798
That actually isn't true at all, that's the opposite of how the chase works. Once one ability or effect resolves, you can start adding to the chase again, so you could absolutely in response to flipping back give Ref. flying, wait for that to resolve, then kill it with the bow.

The chase is essentially identical to the stack in Magic. Some people coming from Yugioh think it works the way you described as that's how it works in that game, but that's not the case.
>>
>>44226198
Can you only have one source of an ability on the chase at a time? I was under the impression that, in response to anything, the ref player could just activate it again.
>>
>>44226230
Nope, if an ability costs 0 and doesn't require tapping or anything like that, then you can keep adding it to the chase as many times as you like, THAT is the actual reason why you have to do it on the Ref player's turn.

Other interesting sidenote, tapping anything for will (stones, resonators, additions etc) is considered a will ability, does not use the chase at all. So even if they were to Flame of Outer World (which can't be chased to) your Elvish Priest or Fiethsing, you can still tap them for will before they die.
>>
>>44226270
That's interesting. So, if I was playing the Jeanne d'Arc ruler and a human died I could attempt to Judgement and if they tried to respond by changing a human into an elf with Moojdart I could put a second instance of my Judgement on the stack?
>>
>>44226334
Judgement is actually a once-per-turn deal, you can only do judgement or call a stone once per turn, one or the other, never both. It's sort of an exception to the rule. So in this case, you'd go to do judgement, judgement would go on the chase. they'd change the resonator's race, that would resolve, then your judgement would resolve, and the dude whose race was changed would live.
>>
>>44226334
Judgement happens at sorcery speed, so no. That's a good idea, though.
>>
>>44226270
That's magic, friend. Why don't you read the rules of this game before posting?
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 265x370
>>44226562
>>44226668
Ah I'm an idiot, I completely forgot about it being sorcery speed. Thanks for the info though, this game's rulings can be pretty confusing to me at times.
>>
>>44224803
Most fow players in my meta seem to be people who played yugioh previously, I quit playing magic since I cant stand making a 2-3 hour trip just to play legacy each week, I still play pauper and edh though since they are both fun formats.
>>
>>44226752
That's real cute. Which part are you incorrectly trying to say I'm wrong on, so I know which section of the CR to copy paste for you?
>>
>>44224012
I've glanced at every J/ruler in New Frontiers.
>>
>>44226752
You realise that this game's rules are almost identical to Magic, right?
>>
Is Pandora still a thing? I just built a list with her that was in a pro tourish thing a few months ago, but I feel like I cant evaluate cards right.
>>
>>44229738
I haven't seen anyone run her. The game has some pretty high power creep so new rulers are a lot better.
>>
>>44227994
Will abilities not using the chase.

I'll wait.
>>
>>44230239
Comprehensive rules link:
http://fowtcg.us/Files/FoWCR.pdf

9.7. Will Abilities and Produced Will

Activate abilities that need no target and produce wills are will abilities.
Automatic abilities that trigger by playing a will ability, need no target, and produce wills are will abilities.
Spells that produce wills are not will abilities.

Will abilities don't use the chase area and are resolved just after they are played.
>>
>>44230239
If you have any other misunderstandings regarding the rules, or ruling questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
>>
>>44230314
Okay. You win this one, dickshorts.
>>
>>44230343
Constantly having to clear up rules disputes for my locals will do that. I know people constantly say "Because this isn't magic blah blah blah" but in a lot of respects the rules very clearly emulate Magic's rules. Some less so, like end of turn effects, but a lot of the rulings are carbon copies.
>>
I'm gonna check at my local store if there're enough players and merchandise (I'm not sure if FoW has arrived to Mexico and how popular it is).

However, any tips for beginners? I've played some YuGiOh, know how to play Magic (never built my own deck, though), and HeartStone. Also, I like control decks. Any card recomendations?
>>
Is this game even worth getting into? I fear that it will crash and burn in like 2 years, so I'm kinda spooked about getting into it.

However one of the stores in my area has a MASSIVE FoW following.

If I do decide to get into it, what are some really uncommon but good decks?
>>
>>44232166
>I fear that it will crash and burn in like 2 years
So buying into it is no more of a risk than playing standard. Less infact because a competitive FoW deck doesn't cost $700+.
>>
File: Guinevere,_the_Jealous_Queen.jpg (335 KB, 498x685) Image search: [Google]
Guinevere,_the_Jealous_Queen.jpg
335 KB, 498x685
>>44232166
Well if people are too scared, it will crash. If people play it, it wont.

From what I know, everybody is playing aggro somewhat right now. Some cards dominate the meta a lot right now, like Guinevere. So if you can, try to play a deck that play against her.

>>44231876
The game is a lot like hearthstone. You reset your stuff, and then you can do what ever you want. Attack this monster, then cast a spell, summon a monster, attack with an another. You have a ton of "resolves" happening. So there is no phases like in Magic or Yugioh. You reset, main phase, end phase. Done.
>>
>>44232351
Yea but standard rotates back in a bit. Plus I play budget decks so I really don't sink that much money into it. A standard set cycling is different from getting invested in an entire franchise and it failing are two different balls of wax.

So anyways, are there any really weird underplayed decks in the FoW meta right now? I have a hardon for being the odd one out.
>>
>>44232479
>So anyways, are there any really weird underplayed decks in the FoW meta right now?
The nice thing about this game being so young is that no one knows.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79 KB, 539x763) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79 KB, 539x763
>>44232479
Red and White are overused.

I think Cthulhu decks are less popular? I dont know if the new cluster has a lot of Cthulhu cards though.
>>
>>44232608
Adombrali seems insane. Tops your curve in black aggro, turns your Cheshire Cats into card draw. Like damn son he's fucking insane.
>>
File: tokenthing.jpg (54 KB, 394x369) Image search: [Google]
tokenthing.jpg
54 KB, 394x369
>>44232608
THEY HAVE LOVECRAFTIAN GODS??? Welp I think I know what I'm doing regardless of how good or popular it is.
>>
File: Adombrali,_the_Unfathomable.png (1 MB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Adombrali,_the_Unfathomable.png
1 MB, 745x1040
>>44232647
Yep. They have a whole faction of them. Mostly based around destroying themselves for the greater insanity.
>>
File: download.jpg (398 KB, 557x777) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
398 KB, 557x777
>>44232647
Also, Incarnation. They change the mana cost of stuff if you destroy your mana.
>>
File: Feschinostrangecreek.jpg (133 KB, 558x768) Image search: [Google]
Feschinostrangecreek.jpg
133 KB, 558x768
>>44232688
I'm cumming buckets right now. I was hyped for every eldrazi card ever just because they were based around lovecraftian gods. Now I find out there is literally an entire faction of them! Now I can send my foes to the deepest parts of oblivion with Nyarlathotep at my side.
>>
File: Call_of_Cthulhu.jpg (64 KB, 521x752) Image search: [Google]
Call_of_Cthulhu.jpg
64 KB, 521x752
>>44232733
The artwork is also really good on them and contrast a lot from the Anime style of the rest of the decks.
>>
File: 1446074150326.jpg (35 KB, 293x300) Image search: [Google]
1446074150326.jpg
35 KB, 293x300
>>44232787
I don't think you realize how happy you've made me and how much you've made me want to play this game. I've been reading lovecraft since 9. You've sold me on this game unquestionably.

Any good ways to learn this game then?
>>
File: Shantak.jpg (72 KB, 533x756) Image search: [Google]
Shantak.jpg
72 KB, 533x756
>>44232862
Probably just watch tutorials, but if you know how to play Magic, you pretty much know this game. Main difference is that your mana is outside of your deck in a different deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClNJVn98H4
>>
>>44232982
Jesus the art for that is beautiful

Seriously thank you
>>
File: img124.jpg (242 KB, 556x777) Image search: [Google]
img124.jpg
242 KB, 556x777
>>44233082
No problem man, enjoy!
>>
'nother newfag here.

How cheap is game to get into? Not looking for a tournament deck, but just kitchen table fun.
>>
>>44234754
Pretty cheap. Starter decks are 20 and good decks are under 100 most of the time.
>>
>>44235087
For someone who has no cards as all, any recommendations what to get first?

The Starter Kits in Magic, back when they used to do those, were really shit.
>>
>>44235138
Vingolf Engage is pretty good, or theres a set with dwo full decks in it that are actually good.
>>
>>44235138
From what I heard, all the starters are pretty okay and only need some help to be competitive.

It's a good way to get a feel for the game too. Otherwise, the Vingolf is pretty good if you want to deck build a little or you can just buy a box of boosters. But your best bet is with starters I think.
>>
If a Beowulf is blocked and you cast Beastly Attack on him, how much damage is done to the blocking resonator's controller?
>>
File: big damage.jpg (251 KB, 1056x735) Image search: [Google]
big damage.jpg
251 KB, 1056x735
>>44237217
It seems like the damage would be dealt to resonator first 900x2=1800
Then Beastly Attack's added effect triggers sending it through to the player, re-activating Beowulfs original ability, doubling again to 3600.
It sounds fucking broken but I can't think of a reason as to why it wouldn't work that way.
>>
File: Thunder_VIN.jpg (107 KB, 701x960) Image search: [Google]
Thunder_VIN.jpg
107 KB, 701x960
>>44237468
>>44237468 (You)
I thought about this some more and even though the damage is REAL anyone who knows whats up can prevent this easily.
It can only be done on the attack and someone could easily respond to it with a thunder which would resolve before Beastly Attack killing Beowulf.

However it will DEFINITELY demand the other players attention, and without prior knowledge people are likely to get punked by it.
>>
>>44238020
>Oops, I use Ref to give it +2/+2 and survive
>>
File: smug anime face.jpg (43 KB, 1040x832) Image search: [Google]
smug anime face.jpg
43 KB, 1040x832
>>44238293
Oh my gaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!
>>
>>44232688
I'm running a storm deck with adombroli right now. It's pretty hilarious.
>>
>>44237468
>>44238020
Thought so. Thanks.

>>44238887
Mind posting the deck and explaining it? I've been wondering how people are going to use him.
>>
>>44239427
It's not that complicated. Just use it to turn your manadorks into double mana outlets and your cheshire cats into free cards.

The deck runs itself.
>>
>>44237468
So I threw together a quick list for this combo.

1 Reflect/Refrain

4 GR Stone
1 Little Red stone
4 Stone of Moonlight
1 Stone of Moonshade

4 Servant of Reflect
4 Familiar of Reflect
4 Spell-Weaver Elf
4 Change The World
4 Beowulf
4 Beastly Attack
4 Beast Queen's Counterattack
4 Duel of Fate
4 Thunder
2 Shaharazad
2 Behemoth
>>
File: It was ME Beowulf.jpg (74 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
It was ME Beowulf.jpg
74 KB, 800x450
>>44240624
I've been mulling it over too.
At first glance it seems like a hell of a climb just to force this one interaction, but when one successful combo = game this is probably the best way to do it.

I kept trying to think of how to pull off the whole shebang in one turn without arousing suspicion (Loup/match for swiftness and/or Alice's Castling), but relying on enemy board state is dumb. I should have been thinking of how to force it.
>>
>>44241057
This deck can do other, similar things too, like Behemoth being 1500 to face no matter what they do, potentially as much as 15+6+2 = 23 + (that+2 more from following it up with Counterattack) for 48 in one turn. And of course an unchecked Servant can suck to deal with. The deck is just very aggro with an OHKO in there as one of many game enders.
>>
>>44240624
Thinking it over, the little red should also be a moonshade
>>
Hey /tg/ been thinking of running a fun mono-red
bahamut deck. Mainly because like I said before (im Musketeer guy) my store is filled with new people and I dont want to stomp them out of playing with tier 1 shit yet. Been brainstorming some ideas. We meet up tomorrow night/tonight and ill let you know how it goes.
>>
>>44241365
>fun
>bahamut

Pick one.
>>
File: Alexander_(J).jpg (258 KB, 557x777) Image search: [Google]
Alexander_(J).jpg
258 KB, 557x777
>>44241365
If you want the new guys to have fun, don't play a ruler that kills the opponent by turn 3.
>>
>>44243638
I don't recall Alexander the Great ever being described in history books as "kawaii".
>>
>>44243638
jesus christ this thing is a monster.
>>
File: image.jpg (365 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
365 KB, 745x1040
>>44243708
Alexander is one of the weaker J-rulers. Red has a few really good ones like Cain, Bahamut, Blazer, and Sylvia.
>>
There's no machine/android/mecha archetype yet?
>>
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 640x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 640x462
>>44245135
Machina is a void J-Ruler based around machines. With the new machine resonators this set you could probably put together a pretty strong deck.
>>
>>44245262
Wow, seems like a pretty strong card. Gonna see what can I build around it.
>>
>>44245262

I've tried building a deck for him. I used Akashic Records to make it so I could play most of my machines for free, then went for the big finish with multiple Marches when the time was right.

It went okay, but it wasn't competitive. The deck got controlled hard, and my resonators were by and large just worse than the ones my opponent played.
>>
So, if I understood correctly, the cards from seven kings and twilight wanderer will be playable until around August 2017?
>>
>>44246203
Yeah. Grimm rotates out in September 2016 and Seven Kings rotates out September 2017.
>>
>Buy 3 boosters of the new set on a whim
>Stamped foil Reflect

Neat.
>>
>Want to build an Elf deck because the Elfs are kawaii
>Most of the Elf cards were in Valhalla
>Nobody around me is even selling the boosters for that set because the game decided break mechanics were broken

Wat do
>>
>>44245262
>>44245645
So, getting into the game with a Machina Deck would be OK, or should I get some starters first and then go for the Machina Deck?
>>
>>44249721
One of the starters IS a machina deck.

An actually really well built one too, in my opinion.
>>
>>44249286
Run an elf deck using cards from Crimson Moon Fairytale and use Little Red the True Fairytale as your Ruler. Fiina and Christie do work.
>>
So is white garbage in this game too?
>>
>>44251137
No, white has a lot going for it. Gwiber, Arla, Perceval, Arthur Pendragon, The Queen's Butler, Abel, and Rapunzel are some noteworthy cards.
>>
>>44245049
Reflect is really strong for red atm, ive been playing reflect mono red aggro into baha side and it works wonders, no one expects baha
>>
>>44223802
It's a Japanese game; in Japan, they do arithmetic in the 100s and 1000s all the time, it's how their money works.
>>
Can someone please tell me if it's possible to get Refrain off the table? Sure it can't battle which is fucking stupid enough in of itself, but can I not even throw Thunder at the cunt?
>>
>>44253958
See >>44225667
>>
>>44249918
So I got the starter deck and had a game with the owner. It was fun, he had a Dracula deck. I won, but later I noticed we both did big misplays.

Seems there's a small comunity that wants to make popular the game, around 8 or 9 players (which are what's left of the Card Fight Vanguard players). There's even going to be a Selaed Deck tourney next Sunday, with The Twilight Wanderer boosters. I'm thinking of going and see if I get some support on my Machina deck or other nice stuff (I'm hoping for a Reflect/Refrain too...). So I feel like it's a good moment in my community to get into the game.
>>
>>44201574
>>44209005
>>44200872
if you like magic you will not like the game, its super easy and you dont really have to pay attention.
>>
File: idort.jpg (473 KB, 1012x801) Image search: [Google]
idort.jpg
473 KB, 1012x801
>>44259966
But I like both?
>>
>>44256805
Red is really strong in sealed.
Hope to get lancelots, welp drakes, and burn to cinders.
And R/R if you actually get the cards to support it.
>>
Which starter decks would be recommended for just starting out?
>>
>>44259966
not really its actually harder than magic i would say because so many cards do multiple things plus the j-ruler and the combat system its really easy to misplay and lose. at any given moment you have lots of options at your disposal. magic seems to have a more linear line of play tho i haven't played much modern or legacy
>>
>>44232608
>literal lovecraftian monsters
OH LORDY
>their tribe is called "Cthulhu"
Is he himself at least a card?
Why did they not roll with "Old Ones" or something?
>>
>>44265110
>Why did they not roll with "Old Ones" or something?
I'm assuming it was either chosen as the name of the race to really get the point across that they're related to Cthulhu or it was a bad translation as a lot of Grimm and Valhalla cards are worded really strangely.
>>
>>44265204
As unlikely as it seems, this would technically not be something that couldn't be fixed with an errata, right?

Because man is this triggering me for no reason at all. Especially if Cthulhu actually ends up as a card himself.
>>
>>44265227
Yeah it could be changed, though I would say the chances of it happening are slim.
>>
>>44259966
Yeah man, magic player for ten years, I don't like the direction Magic is taking so I'm switching.
>>
So Vlad is practically a hard counter to Reflect it turns out. You can't play a control game against a ruler that drains you harder and harder the longer the game goes.
>>
>>44266833
>>44266833
Aren't people putting Reflect in pretty much everything, even aggro though?
>>
>>44267045
Not running an aggressive ruler just makes their deck worse, so I'm fine with that. Bahamut threatens me, Reflect does not. I'm getting the impression that the Force of Will tournament metagame isn't particularly well developed if people are doing stupid shit like that.
>>
>>44266833
>A wincon that is untouchable for control is better than a constant counterspell applicator.
Gee who would have thought.
>>
>>44233082
Fellow Cthulu bro! Heres a great tip: run a card called "Pumpkin Witch" while she herself is not a Cthulu, her ability, combined with the games rulings creates this blanket effect where all your dudes that turn gain swiftness (haste) and flying. So using the "incarnation" ability of the Cthulus you can set up crazy turns where you attack, sac, play a new cthulu, attack, sac, play another cthulu ect ect.
Its great fun.
>>
Where would be the best place to buy individual cards and weeb sleeves? What are the card dimensions?
>>
What sets are good to start amassing cards with? I got two of the starter decks from the Twilight Wander set but not sure which over sets to splash over with.
>>
>>44272306
The Vingolf boxes are full of good cards and 2 of each dual land. Shit like Thunder goes in basically every red deck.
>>
So does anyone else think the surge in this game's popularity is down to Magic becoming dull in recent years?
>>
File: pretty.jpg (398 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
pretty.jpg
398 KB, 1600x1200
>>44271337
I get singles from tcgplayer
Cards are standard sized like MTG.
I just use dragon shields (one color for deck another for stones), but I put the ruler in a KMC Perfect fit sleeve and then put that in an UltraPro Toploader for flipping.
Because of the size of the toploaders I keep all my rulers in a large deck box.
>>
>>44272399
Well I think one of the big appeals is the elimination of mana flood/screw. While there is obviously still some variance, there is no real "welp only got two lands" death sentence as there is in MtG. It appeals to yugioh cause the cards arent as clusterfucked, and is still waifu enough to draw in the vanguard people.

As a Magic player the rules were super easy to pick up, hell you could probably sit down, guess what each FoW keyword does within the game.

I personally also like how alot of the cards are characters from literature, mythology and history and spins em into this fantastical setting. Im a Spanish teacher and lost my shit when I saw a Don Quijote card haha. Heres hoping for Simon Bolivar!
>>
File: 8TooevJ.gif (442 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
8TooevJ.gif
442 KB, 500x375
>>44273924
Thanks anon
>>
>>44274572
>Well I think one of the big appeals is the elimination of mana flood/screw

Oh you're one of THOSE dumbasses.
>>
File: cool game friend.jpg (67 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
cool game friend.jpg
67 KB, 600x330
>>44275719
not him but
>spend insane amounts of money to acquire the PERFECT mana base
>lose game anyway because you don't draw any of it
You can't stop me from liking both despite this.
>>
>>44275719
Not this shit again. Mana is objectively retarded in MTG.

You can have all the deckbuilding mechanics you want with none of the retarded luck elements.
>>
>>44275719
mana problems are by far the worst thing about mtg. getting too much or too little is basically a auto lose all other things being equal.
>>
>>44275719
>I like to mulligan
>>
>>44276338
What is mulligan?
>>
>>44278840
>I have no idea about card drawing or mana acceleration
>>
>>44279466
how does one mana exell or or draw with no lands?
>>
>>44279456
A stop gap
>>
>>44276338
>with none of the retarded luck elements
Aside from being colour screwed due to getting a B stone when your only turn 1 play is Guinevere.
>>
I'm pretty new to this game and tcg in general, but I want to build a deck around Crimson Girl/Little Red.
Any advice for a cute deck, preferably green/blue?
>>
>>44276290
>>44276338
>>44278840

>People on 4chan actually defend my opinion.

I dont know how to feel about this. Regardless>>44275719
Has clearly either never played Magic, never played FoW or never played both.
>>
>>44283345
Here a deck tech video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yQgcnEceg
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 480x670) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 480x670
>>44284040
I meant this Little Red, but thanks for the link. I'll try to learn what I can from the video.
>>
>>44284226
Oh sorry, here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5empowPlAKc
>>
My god R/R just gets more and more busted as time goes by. Sure I'll just run 1 Adombrali and draw it whenever I want to sac these 2 Cheshire Cats for free to draw 2 cards. WHY NOT?
>>
>>44284878
If you sac two blue resonators for Adombroli's incarnate you only get to draw one card.
>>
>>44283705
I've played Magic since Avacyn. Go ask legacy players how often they get screwed or flooded. It's quite a rare thing, compared to the 10% chance you have of drawing Grubalesta turn 1 when you really need the Thunder mana to stop someone throwing a few 500/500 cthulus at you on turn 1.
>>
>>44284954
I've played Magic since Mirrodin and have been mana flooded playing Oops All Spells, go fuck yourself.
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.