[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2015 >still no decent collection of pre-painted, generic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: dd_miniatures_game.jpg (440 KB, 2732x1528) Image search: [Google]
dd_miniatures_game.jpg
440 KB, 2732x1528
>2015
>still no decent collection of pre-painted, generic fantasy miniatures for use with roleplaying games

Why is this?

I can buy a bucket of pre-painted farm animals or dinosaurs for a few dollars.
>>
>>44200595

eBay
>>
>>44200687
>>44200595

Alternatively,

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/
>>
>not playing Farm Animal And Dinosaur Adventures
>>
>>44200728
This could be fun if the scales matched.

>25 mm elf meets whatever-the-hell-scale animal
>the 5 ft hero comes across an 8 ft tall cow

Maybe it's more fun if they don't.
>>
File: Owlbear.jpg (114 KB, 600x785) Image search: [Google]
Owlbear.jpg
114 KB, 600x785
>>44200595
>not playing with shitty dinosaur figures
>not playing as Gygax did when he invented board gaming
>lacking imagination

I just wish places that sold minis had a pre-painted option.
I'm really shit at painting and cbf with the time sink of it all.
>>
>>44200794
>the 5 ft hero comes across an 8 ft tall cow
>Maybe it's more fun if they don't.
I agree

My old group was nuts about making custom minis from everything we could get our hands on. Plenty of $1 bags of dinosaurs and farm animals were dismembered and reassembled on their coffee table.
>>
I can't remember the last time I was part of a generic fantasy RPG though.
>>
>>44200900
I tried looking in Archie McPhee's for those kinda things.
>>
>still no

Other way round.

WotC/Hasbro rammed a lot of sets out the door a decade ago. They've done smaller runs, as have Paizo, since then.

While the random "collectable" format has the advantage of being able to sell the oddity monsters that no metal or resin company could ever break even on, the downside is loads of shitty commons. Many were quite acceptable, but the stinkers stand out.

Lots of these sets are still running around the secondary market, though in smaller quantities than five years ago.

Prepaints take a significant investment to manufacture. That has scuttled several efforts and some of the companies that tried. WotC and Paizo have been able to do it, but it killed Rackham and Ex Illis, and was an abject failure for Mongoose and Reaper.

New attempters are scarce as a result. The track record is not good.
>>
>>44200595
Dude, Reaper Miniatures. You get figs for way cheap. Here's a link to their last kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-3-the-search-for-mr-bones
>>
>>44202030
> pre-painted
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.