[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't the Victorian era a more popular fantasy setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: 1450043985823.jpg (71 KB, 600x979) Image search: [Google]
1450043985823.jpg
71 KB, 600x979
Why isn't the Victorian era a more popular fantasy setting?
>>
>>44199996
>Steampunk
>>
File: Eldritch Posting.png (132 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Posting.png
132 KB, 500x363
>>44199996
wat
>>
>>44200012
How much steampunk with actual magic, nonhuman races, etc. have you seen recently? Especially in tabletop games?
>>
Because not a lot of people know about it, and the fantastic racism puts a lot of people off.

Personally I love it, I can't describe the thrill I get being a business owner and hiring goons to break up unions.
>>
>>44200086
Every steampunk game I can think of has magic of some kind in it, except for things like Space: 1889. Certainly the majority of steampunk RPG settings made in the last ten years.
>>
>>44200086

Warmahords, maliflux, a buuunch of pathfinder shit. Steampunk is basically a constant subgenre now. Lots of blacklash against that because a lot of it sucks, but also because grogs are overly contrarian.
>>
>>44199996
Not sure.
It might not truly be fantasy, but I'm planning a Mage the Awakening game starting in 1860.
>>
Now I don't know about the Victorian era but my current campaign is set in a 1950's dieselpunk aesthetic, fantastic racism included.
>>
>>44200099
>>44200258

>steampunk, racism
>dieselpunk, racism
>dungeonpunk, racism

turns out, there's a lot of racism in any era
>>
>>44199996
Because Victorian/Steampunk is hard to draw.
>>
>>44199996
I prefer Olivian Britain under the rule of Lady Protector Olivia Cromwell myself.
>>
>>44199996

There are many games that do this, starting with "Castle Falkenestein" and "For Faerie, Queen, and Country".
>>
>>44200324
>dungeonpunk

Now there's an extremely underrepresented genre. Outside of how Eberron half-assed it, have any tabletop settings even tried?
>>
>>44200324
Nah moving from mere xenophobia where skin color is way less important than whether someone talks funny is modern (from the history defintion of modern, which starts in the 1600s) development.
>>
>>44200669
What exactly is "dungeonpunk" to you? Because I would think DnD sort of revolves around what I would identify as that
>>
>>44200810
Well, to be fair, 3.5e is actually the example I used so I can't disagree.

TVTropes actually summarizes it very well, though their list of examples is kind of shitty. To me, it's like how steampunk was the Victorian vision of the future, or cyberpunk is the 80s vision of the future; dungeonpunk is the fantasy equivalent. Magitek everywhere in roles we associate with machinery and industry. You don't need to invent an internal combustion engine when a bound fire spirit heats your boiler in an even smaller space. You know? D&D is too rooted in its medieval roots, dumb as that may sound, to qualify. Even Eberron.

Aforementioned page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DungeonPunk
>>
File: acs-gi-bg1-new.jpg (332 KB, 1450x760) Image search: [Google]
acs-gi-bg1-new.jpg
332 KB, 1450x760
This year's Assassin Creed was Victorian.
>>
>>44201013
Agreed, for instance while there are shades of planescape in eberron how they consider the former dungeonpunk is beyond me
>>
Victorian era...meh.

Now the real question is why aren't there more RPG's set in the Georgian era. Tricorn hats and frock coats. Flintlocks. Colonial America. That's what we need.
>>
>>44201045
Was it any good?
Because I couldn't handle the sheer levels of "everyone is a god damn retard" that were going on in Unity.
I mean seriously, this bitch has a guy who's got an in with the Assassins based on the identity of his father, who is in love with her. And rather than use him as a spy, she gets butthurt at him for something he had nothing to do with and kicks him out on his ass, driving him right into the arms of the Assassins.
Meanwhile, Arno (who has every reason to HATE the Assassins considering that they have quite literally ruined his life) decides to join up with them based solely on "your dad was one of us" even though his father died when he was very young and they offer him no proof that his dad was one of them, just "trust us dude, he was totally an Assassin".
>>
Rolled 3, 1 = 4 (2d6)

>>44199996
>>
>>44199996
Mate, entire fucking tabletop steampunk is mixed with high fantasy in the same time.
>>
>>44201157
Put some art out there and it'll happen.

That's my big block on anything that isn't steampunk; no one cares about magic in the Victorian era, no one puts art out there, I can't draw for shit, so I've got nothing to show my players. There's only so much I can ask of the drawthread to keep a campaign art-filled.
>>
File: 8wYOL91tec.gif (458 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
8wYOL91tec.gif
458 KB, 333x250
>>44201177
>2015
>Seriously asking if Ass Creed is any good
>>
>>44199996

People in the medieval era sometimes believed in magic and demons and dragons and faeries, though they were rarely seen

People in the Victorian era rarely did
>>
>>44201337
Are you high?

Victorian occultism was ubiquitous.
>>
>>44199996
Because of dnd.
>>
File: 517.jpg (9 KB, 248x233) Image search: [Google]
517.jpg
9 KB, 248x233
>>44201337
Yes, hun, it was unparralel age of progress and scientific discovery... and fucking occult and spiritualism done by everyone and their dog, you stupid cunt.
>>
>>44201177
if a glitchy, unpolished shitpile is "good" then sure, it is.

though with asscreed releases that's kind of a given at this point
>>
>>44201491
Mostly I was asking if the plot is tolerable, or if it's yet more of a "Sphere of Idiocy" spell being cast to permanency centered on the protagonist.
>>
>>44199996
It is incredibly popular.
>>
>>44201759
Outside of steampunk?
>>
>>44199996

because steampunk, despite being a good idea, ruins everything it touches.
>>
>>44201419
>>44201386

Are you guys sure? I mean I feel like there is a difference between spiritism/alchemy type stuff and traditional sword and fireball fantasy themes
>>
>>44201863
>traditional sword and fireball fantasy themes

The "traditional" fantasy of sword and fireball is a late 20th Century invention and has fuck-all to do with the mythology and folklore of the Middle Ages.
>>
File: accursed_cover.jpg (241 KB, 1701x2201) Image search: [Google]
accursed_cover.jpg
241 KB, 1701x2201
>>44201805
Well, steampunk, has become so broad and mainstream that essentially any Victorian fantasy can winds up being called steampunk, even if there's no steam-powered-sci-fi in sight.... so... no....? but you've sort of backed yourself into a tautological corner with your premise. I mean, most people even call Victorian fantasy-horror "steampunk" because it's the nearest ubiquitous cultural landmark.
>>
>>44199996
Thanks Anon, I needed a good laugh!
>>
File: 1408676223561.jpg (18 KB, 276x367) Image search: [Google]
1408676223561.jpg
18 KB, 276x367
Good question. Most of it is Steampunk, of which I am not a fan. I really like the technology of the era so it seems crazy to me to ditch it and go with retrofuturist stuff.

It also bothers me that it's usually a setting limited exclusively to Victorian England. I get that's what Victorian means, but there was a lot of shit going on in the late 1800s which would make good fodder for a fantasy setting.

Most Medieval inspired Fantasy settings tend to have analogs for every type of culture but fantasy in the late 1800s rarely extends past Victorian England, unless you get lucky and find some Weird West, but that's treated as a different genre entirely.
>>
File: 4e57bf8d4.jpg (240 KB, 675x967) Image search: [Google]
4e57bf8d4.jpg
240 KB, 675x967
>>44200461
>Cromwell

This is a Catholic imageboard. Puritan dictators belong on >>>r/schismatics
>>
>>44201565
Playing as Jacob is fun enough. He's the smartass brawler who might secretly have a heart of gold that he's trying to hide they made him out to be in the build up.
The way they spoke about Evie said she would be cold and calculating, putting her mission above all else. Instead she fawns over the first person they meet in London and tries to make sure everyone's life is all peaches and pudding by the time they finally get around to doing their job.
>>
File: 1287432895880[1].jpg (36 KB, 560x406) Image search: [Google]
1287432895880[1].jpg
36 KB, 560x406
>>44200012
Steampunk is where creativity goes to die.

>>44201177
You know what's worst? I've been one of those "We should've had a French Revolution one" guys ever since the third installment. Now we get one and the Revolution serves as a fucking backdrop.

So we have these guys who want to control mankind (Templars) and those guys who want to liberate them (Assassins), right? It should be obvious what sides they would take, Royalists and Republicans respectively. Or perhaps you could mix things up and say that the Templars are the bloodthirsty Republicans who try to overthrow the anti-Templar monarchy propped up by the Assassins? But what does Ubisoft do instead? The ENTIRE FUCKING REVOLUTION is an inter-templar conflict that the Assassins are more than willing to sit out. In other words, the Assassins do fucking nothing other than help Arno on his revenge quest, which could've taken place in any fucking setting.

And then there's Napoleon ie. monsieur token cameo. How can you introduce Napoleon in your game and do FUCKING NOTHING with him? Is Assassins Creed now a saturday morning cartoon where famous historical characters show up simply because they're famous historical charactes, introduce themselves and then leave?
>>
>>44205683
>Is Assassins Creed now a saturday morning cartoon where famous historical characters show up simply because they're famous historical charactes, introduce themselves and then leave?
Obviously.
>>
>>44203298
Around the World in 80 Days meets Shadowrun?
>>
>>44202653
that reminds me, I got Accursed through a Bundle of Holding a while ago, and have yet to download it, maybe I'll share it here when I do, if the thread is still around...
>>
My current campaign is set in a fantasy Victorian styled world. Casual racism abounds with magitech used to power trains and shit. Its fun doing chimney sweep voices and stodgy old money aristocrats slowly losing their power.
>>
>>44199996
>steampunk isn't Fantasy

Could have fooled me, Anon.
>>
>>44205683
>Is Assassins Creed now a saturday morning cartoon where famous historical characters show up simply because they're famous historical charactes, introduce themselves and then leave?

That's what it's always been. It's a Ubisoft blockbuster series. Black Flag was as good as it's going to get.
>>
>>44201177
>Was it any good?
Oh course it was good, it had diversity
>>
>>44207223
>multiple gender identities

Do these people not realize how rare transgender people are? And that they are very often at the bottom of the social spectrum because of various reasons, meaning that the ones with the education or background to work in the video games industry are even more rare?

Is this desire eventually going to lead to a shortage of transgender people in the industry, because every studio must have at least two?
>>
>>44207261
What's funny is it just says "gender identities"

So really it could mean "males identifying as males" and "females identifying as females" and not a single mentally ill person in the lot.
>>
>>44207271
That's true. They could be saying "gender identities" to include people who feel androgynous next to transgenders, but then you've pretty much had it as far as gender identities are concerned.
>>
>>44203298
>It also bothers me that it's usually a setting limited exclusively to Victorian England.
Then make it Victorian-esque?
>>
>>44203298
>but fantasy in the late 1800s rarely extends past Victorian England

But The Empire controlled like a 1/4 of the globe anon, with a presence on every continent.
>>
>>44199996
The Victorian era has a lot of unfulfilled potential. Most people only look at a few elements (cowboys, steam trains and other overtly mechanical machines, guys in top hats) and ignore deeper thematic elements. It's basically the same problem as thinking of the middle ages as being all knights and damsels.

The Victorian period was a time of change and transition, in many ways for the better and in others for the worse. Fuedalism is on it's way out, but still has some elements of it kicking. People are moving into cities as farming becomes mechanized and people have prospects beyond peasantry, but the cities are dirty, crowded and the factories are dark and unsafe. You have an increase in democracy, but also a society in which the gaps between the wealthy and poor grows steadily. It's an era with a lot of potential, but most people see it as fopping about in a bowler hats with cogs glued to it.
>>
>>44201013
Steampunk was not the victorian vision of the future, it's a modern fantasy of the past.

A real victorian vision of the future would be something like William Morris's News from Nowhere. Notably, the utopian vision of someone living through industrial revolution involves a future where machines are discreet, clean, silent and much less ubiquitous, and people generally work with their hands by preference.
>>
>>44203298
I'm actually more bothered by the tendency to refer to anything of or set in the 19th century as Victorian. It's a peculiarly British way of referring to quite a narrow slice of history!
>>
>>44201045
Christ how fast are they pumping these out?
The last one I remember is the pirate one.
>>
>>44205683

Unfortunately, yes. The Original and Black Flag are the only good ones we're going to get.
>>
>>44207508
I'm not even sure it's really british and not american.
>>
>>44208127
Brits certainly talk about the victorian period but they tend to be more precise in using the phrase. It's a big part of the history they learn at school after all.
>>
>>44208142
That's what I was implying. If I was a brit, I would probably not shoehorn the "victorian" adjective everywhere you can put bowler hats.
>>
>>44207937
There were two in-between, Unity (French Revolution) and Rogue (Seven Years' War).

So yeah....
>>
>>44207271
>various beliefs, sexual orientations and gender identities.
>various

Just saying.

Can't wait for this whole shit to blow over and we can look back and laugh at how fucking retarded everyone was for kowtowing to this.
>>
>>44208425
they've been doing the various beliefs thing since the first game.

The orientations and sexuality is new
>>
>>44208485
But why? Is the game better knowing that the designers are multicultural and multisexual? Does this come through into the games?
>>
>>44201863

in the Victorian era you have Hermetic Orders of sorcerers waging magical war on eachother.

Not with any real results mind you but, they tried.
>>
>>44205683
Is this a rhetorical question?
>>
>>44208660
It's just marketing. It makes no fucking difference one way or the other.
>>
>>44199996
As the luddites of this world cannot handle the fires of industry, the inevitable rise of progress atop the bodies of the uncivilised, and the unstoppable wheels of empire.
>>
>>44199996
Victorian era and steampunk are my favorite settings.
>>
>>44207465
This, Genrepunk =/= Retrofuturism.

Any kind of X-Punk genre is current day/Near future technology created using the energy sources/tech of that era. It's anachronistic tech

Retrofuturism is what the people of that era Imagined future tech would be like, Fallout is Retrofuturism as the timeline is basically what 1950s americans imagined the future would be like (sans the apocalypse) Floating helper robots, Laser and plasma pistols, Metal armor for the troops and everything is powered by mini nuclear batteries.
>>
>>44208660
It's a different way to say "The opinions and views expressed herein do not represent those of the developers, because we're more diverse than shit."
>>
>>44208660
I believe the whole thing started out with the first game due to it being set in the middle east during the crusades, and they've just kept it around because at this point it's a sacred cow.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.