[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, which is better. The d20 system, or the obviously superior
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 17
Hey /tg/, which is better. The d20 system, or the obviously superior d100 system?
>>
>>44186612
Seems like you've made up your mind already lil' buddy.
>>
>>44186612
the d20 system
>>
>>44186612
>comparing "systems" and not the actual applications in games

Don't do this.
>>
Coin flips.
>>
>>44186612
The d20 is simpler, I think, whereas the d100 is superior.

In my humble opinion.
>>
Depends what you're after.

Easy arcade mode no thought fun? D20

Bit more numbery and diverse? D100

Just remember the most important part, it's not rape if it's an elf.
>>
File: Let me tell you about GURPS.jpg (1 MB, 1255x1600) Image search: [Google]
Let me tell you about GURPS.jpg
1 MB, 1255x1600
>>44186612

The 3d6 system.
>>
>>44186612
When you say *the* d20 system, it usually indicates the core mechanics of 3.x D&D, called "The D20 System", which uses a d20. But since I'm unaware of any role-playing game having the audacity to call its mechanics "The d100 System", I'm going to assume that you're actually compare d20s and d%, and asking which is better to base a system on. And there's really no right answer.

I tend to prefer the simplicity of a d20-based based system, feeling like I don't really need the extra granularity provided by d%, but they have different strengths, and these can play to the advantage of different systems. And either can be executed well... or executed poorly.
>>
>>44186612
Dice pools using D4s obviously
>>
File: Decent fellow.jpg (72 KB, 201x259) Image search: [Google]
Decent fellow.jpg
72 KB, 201x259
>>44186798
You. I like you
>>
>>44186612

Kill yourself.
>>
The D200 system, duh.
>>
Pfff, d100?
I guess when you're done with your kiddy shit you can join us men who use the d1000.
>>
>>44186612
Choose your dice system.
>>
>>44186612
d100 dicepools
>>
Not with those clear dice.
>>
The 2d6d12 system is clearly best
>>
>not playing the d1000 system

Must be 18 to shitpost on 4chan, kiddo
>>
L5R d10 Roll/Keep system is the best.
>>
>>44186612

With d100 I assume you mean systems like Call of Cthulhu and Dark Heresy. I choose D100 in this case.
>>
File: roguelikes.jpg (78 KB, 359x498) Image search: [Google]
roguelikes.jpg
78 KB, 359x498
I think the d100 is way more granularity than necessary, but I also think that, being decimal, it's much more intuitive than the d20. The d20 has a comfortable level of granularity but is not neatly decimal, and the d10 alone is neatly decimal but not really granular except for the purposes of pools.

If you're going to do d100, one thing's for sure, though -- roll-under is far superior to roll-over. Roll-over doesn't take full advantage of the d100's properties. The most useful thing about the d100 is the d%. It's incredibly handy to be able to convert percentile probabilities straight into a die roll without any number crunching at all. The probability of rolling under X on a d100 is always equal to X%, assuming you are using a decently accurate pair of d10s and not messing around with some Zocchihedron bullshit or something.

The d10,000 in OP's pic is FATAL-tier ridonkulous nonsense, though, that's for sure.
>>
File: Sans.png (112 KB, 273x313) Image search: [Google]
Sans.png
112 KB, 273x313
>>44186612
Both suck.

d10 count-your-successes best system.
>>
>>44186718
You are the worst poster ever, and I nominate you for being forced to wear a trip so people can filter you at their leisure.
>>
>>44186686
>Coin flips.

This, 10d2 > d20
>>
>>44189024
+1 for best waifu dice system
>>
>>44189310
At that point it's basically throwing knuckles.
>>
>>44186798
That time OP just used shitpost and bait to get people to fight but actually got a reasonable and thoughtful response

10/10
>>
File: maidrpg.jpg (166 KB, 280x362) Image search: [Google]
maidrpg.jpg
166 KB, 280x362
/tg/, what is the weirdest die roll you have seen used that also works well in the context of its system? For me it would have to be Maid's D6 * stat, especially when it's rolled contested. For anything other than Maid, it would be a nightmare, but the swingy probability works well in Maid because of the way Maid makes a failed roll just as if not more interesting than a
successful one.

Maid in general is the perfect example of a system that really owns its mechanics in terms of randomness. It's the only system for which I never offer pity rerolls (unless a character ends up with a 0 in more than one stat during chargen). A lot of grognard OSRfags say that some games are more fun if you just run with every bad roll you get, but I have never found a game where this idea really proves true on the level they say it does other than Maid RPG.
>>
>>44189352
this is why, on good days, /tg/ is the best board.
>>
>>44186612
Neither. They are both shit.
>>
>>44189445
/tg/ is always best board, because you can talk about literally fucking anything on it -- and most importantly of all, *it is not a board made for discussing this thing*. In other words, it will not have the ebin maymays, or the cancer, or the general baggage that a more dedicated board, like /a/ or /hist/ or /k/ might have. It's also not nearly popular enough to be in the "inundated with normalfags who think they have to be edgy to post on 4chan" bracket, like /v/ and /b/ are.
>>
File: normalfags.jpg (45 KB, 625x540) Image search: [Google]
normalfags.jpg
45 KB, 625x540
>>44189497
>le elfin /tg/ elitism
I agree that /tg/ has some great qualities, like the fact that it doesn't throw fits about things not being directly related to the subject matter of the board (my time on /m/ has shown me how ugly those shitstorms can get), but we have our fair share of problems, too. We'(re easily baited, for example. Now, we are capable of salvaging derailed threads into worthwhile things, which is more than most boards can boast, but the reason why we're so good at it is because we get derailed so easily in the first place.

I think the biggest advantage /tg/ has over other boards is that traditional games are an inherently social hobby. We can't just cloister ourselves like /a/ or /v/ can. Regularly having real-life social contact with people -- even if they're other hopeless nerds just like us -- is a healthy thing, and helps prevent the nihilistic, narcissistic reclusion that other 4chan boards can run into.

Of course, we're still stuck-up elves, so we're still likely to end up in nihilistic, narcissistic non-reclusion, but that is better than freaking out whenever we come into contact with someone who isn't a fellow social reject.
>>
File: lelf.png (97 KB, 175x220) Image search: [Google]
lelf.png
97 KB, 175x220
>>44189497
>/tg/
>no ebin maymays
>>
>>44190477
This desu senpai.
>>
>>44190477
The baiting thing is unfortunately definitely a thing.

I have no idea why. Some poor sod got shat on to hell and back for making an obvious joke about China not conquering Rome.
>>
>1d100 being different than 1d20

Literally no difference except number count. The randomness is exactly the same. Flat random.
>>
>>44186718
>Easy arcade mode no thought fun? D20

What roll under d100 is actually percentage stuff.
I have % chance to do stuff
>>
>>44191185
You might not be aware, because you lack all self-awareness, but everyone hates you.
>>
>>44189497
>no ebin maymays
May i tell you the tale of old man henderson?
>>
>>44191388
You misunderstand.

No (or little) ebin maymays with regards to the offtopic shit.
>>
>>44189497
But it is the board for discussing most things that are done so here.
It just so happens that /tg/ is such a broad topic that encompasses many, somewhat vague subtopics.

We do have ebin maymays.
>GURPS, why use anything else?
>Laughing elf
>Whaaaargh
>Depends on the setting
>/tg/ is bad at Magic
It just so happens that the memes here are a lot less annoying, and tend to function decently in their place...
Except reaction image >green text thread which is absolutely cancerous.

It just so happens that there are a good number of decent people that post here.
It makes a huge difference.
>>
File: 1315130530258.jpg (80 KB, 512x600) Image search: [Google]
1315130530258.jpg
80 KB, 512x600
>>44189234
Fucking thank you.

d20 system has too much variance for most things, and whether or not you do a thing is just based on how well you roll. You ever wonder why people who play D&D like 5e's Advantage system so much? It gives the d20 much-needed reliability.

On the other end of the autism spectrum there are the roll-and-add-XdY dice systems, which give you an extremely faggy bell curve with a variance that puts 90% of your rolls right near dead-center. Where a +1 modifier in d20 kind of matters but not really, +1 die in a roll-and-sum system COMPLETELY breaks the curve and makes a massive difference.

Therefore, anyone who isn't retarded balances both of them with d10-success-based system.
>>
>>44191512
D10s are faggy and expensive. You can achieve practically the same result with easier to roll and cheaper D6.
>>
File: you're making me nervous.jpg (162 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
you're making me nervous.jpg
162 KB, 960x960
>>44191512
>>44189234
>using non-Platonic solids as dice
Seriously, though how does a "d10 count-your-successes" system work, exactly? Can you give me an example?
>>
>>44191595
I guess, if you're a poor piece of human trash, you could do some kind of d6-based success system; as long as you don't add them together like some low-standard-deviation normal distribution piece of shit.

>>44191649
Based on your stats and shit, you roll Xd10. Certain rolls count as a "success" and you add them together. Right now I play with 7, 8, and 9 are 1 success and 10 is 2 successes. So if you roll 7 dice and get 5, 3, 9, 5, 0, 1, 2, you would have 3 successes.
>>
>>44188704
what in the mother of god is that thing

is it a spaceship
>>
>>44191744
It looks like a top with three separate spinning discs. Also a d1000, incidentally.
>>
>>44191450
All of that which you posted is shit, annoying, and doesn't "function."

In fact, you suggesting that any of that isn't shit makes it clear that you need to just stop posting on this board, since you are the worst of us.
>>
>>44186798
Took the words right out of my mouth.

It's not the kind of dice used that matter so much as how your system makes use of the particular range of random values they provide.
>>
>>44186612
Which one of them?
>>
>>44186798
>I tend to prefer the simplicity of a d20-based based system, feeling like I don't really need the extra granularity provided by d%, but they have different strengths, and these can play to the advantage of different systems. And either can be executed well... or executed poorly.

You don't need the extra numbers you can get on a d100. Seriously, 5% (a la d20) is about as fine as you can go and still have it make a noticeable impact on rolls sometimes.

Consider the difference between a 70 and a 71 check in a d100 system. The chances of you actually seeing that 1% difference on a roll that it matters is likely way WAY less than once in 500 rolls, effectively making it wasted bookkeeping and needless minuscule bonuses.
>>
>>44186612
Whichever your favorite group prefers to play Anon.
>>
>>44186686
my hat of d02 know no limit.

>Newfags will accuse me of having poor spelling.
>>
>>44186612
The obviously superior system is anything not d20.
>>
Obviously the stable bellcurve of 4DF.

But seriously, D20 and D100 are about equal. The only difference is that D20 requires you to go in 5% increments, but I can't think of a circumstance in which the increased granularity of D100 would be useful in a core mechanic.
>>
>>44190477
>We can't just cloister ourselves like /a/ or /v/ can.

Yes we can. There's a reason people like to say many posters on /tg/ don't actually play Traditional Games and it's very common to complain about not having a group here.
>>
>>44186612
2D6 desu
>>
>(4d6 - 4)

Nice bell curve, so that you are more likely to be "average" on skill checks, rather then having a 1 in 20 chance of somehow being too retarded to eat a sandwich, or a 1 in 20 chance of getting the best possible result on the roll (not a guarantee of success, mind you, but a pretty good one).

Still, it's less intuitive then either presented here, and that alone would make me choose d100 (roll under) if I had to choose only one of these.
>>
>>44191338
i have never understood calling them percentile dice a percentile dice would be d101 0% is still a percentage
>>
File: obviously sacred.jpg (32 KB, 450x100) Image search: [Google]
obviously sacred.jpg
32 KB, 450x100
>needing 100 distinct results
>needing a shape that cannot be derived from the sacred geometry of Metatron's Cube

WHO ARE YOU
>>
>>44204543
>sacred geometry

my girlfriend asked me to watch that stupid spirit science video a week ago, and all I got from it is d&d dice = magical ass shit

you could get KILLED for rolling a d20 in rome!!
>>
Is XD6 success the same thing as XD10 success? Does the D10 add any mathematical elegance/bellcurve to it that isn't available by the readily cheaper D6?
>>
File: 1449457770634.jpg (49 KB, 283x323) Image search: [Google]
1449457770634.jpg
49 KB, 283x323
>>44204570
Well, it's true Pythagoras was basically a elitist mathematical mystic who fetishized whole numbers but he's nowhere comparable to the spirit science cunt

>>44204695
Because base 10, I guess
base 10 is fake and gay tho
>>
>>44204695
D10s could be useful if you want to expand the granularity of a system without rendering your bellcurve necessarily more stable.
>>
I use a modified d20 system for a game i'm developing where you roll 3d20 and take the middle one. There are no crit success or failure, but there is a facilitation/complication system, where if the lower dices of the 3 are equal you get a complication, wether the roll is a success or not, and if the higher dices are equals you get a facilitation. If all 3 dices are equal it's up to the GM to give you both a facilitation and a complication or cancel each other out.
>>
File: RAW players.jpg (41 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
RAW players.jpg
41 KB, 526x526
>>44186726
YES. 3d6 is the best.
>>
>>44186612
d20 and d100 both give linear probability distributions, the only difference being the granularity of the distribution.

Personally 3dX gives the distribution that I like the most; high median weight with still enough of a variance for some decent spread of the results, with NdX squeezing that variance towards the mean.

Alternatively, you can go for a WoD (or just flip coins) and get an outright binomial distribution.
>>
>>44186612
Any d6 is superior to both.
>>
File: JM_d1000.A.Sylook.jpg (25 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
JM_d1000.A.Sylook.jpg
25 KB, 200x150
>>44187368
>>
I've run into a lot of d100 games (I'm looking at you Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Dark Heresey) where getting the max cap 100% using the core rules on your skills is really easy to cheese, so I prefer D20.
>>
1d20 and 1d100 are basically the game, but 1d20 is easier to read, so I'd take that given choice.

Personally I'm more a fan of 2d6, as it has a curve but is still somewhat random. It gets the best of both straight and curve systems. I think apocalypse world uses it.

Rolling 3d6 and taking the middle result is also interesting. You can give advantage or disadvantage easily enough by requesting the player pick the highest or lowest result.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.